Why don't our shops sell more English apples?

The English summer has come to an end (yes that was it!), and it is autumn again.  apple trees everywhere are groaning under the weight of countless native varieties of delicious, ripe fruit all out there just ready for picking

Okay, this might be so, but why are Tesco stores and all the other supermarkets for that matter full of New Zealand Braeburn and Royal Gala, French Golden Delicious, Australian Pink Lady, American Empire and Spartan and Dutch Elstar.

No English Apples - Has our taste for foreign fruit become so deep rooted

But what about English apples?  Has our taste for foreign fruit become so deep rooted that we are unable to see that low hanging fruit on our local the trees?

English apples? I think it is such a shame that we don't see more produce from our local orchards.  I know many of our lovely English apples are not considered commercially viable by corporate monsters such as Tesco, Asda and Sainsbury; however I must say that I have noticed that they occasionally sell a mere handful of native varieties of our apples - when in season of course!

So where are the Discoveries, the Cox's, Worcester Pearmains and Laxtons?  We have a wonderful selection of great tasting apples grown right here in this country, surely it makes good economic sense to stand behind our home grown produce?

By: Pazza

Nick

Nick

England import most of the fruit and vegtables from Spain, etc. All England produces today are potatoes and carrots because the weather is so bad lol
Nick

Petra

Petra

"Because England no longer produce anything anymore"

Why is this silly England knocking so persistent on the WG now?

We actually produce about 65% of our all our fruit and vegetables, but only about 25% of apples we buy are produced in England, which is a shame.

Supermarkets demanded apples that could be picked well before they were ripe, and be easily stored and shipped, and have a uniform size and appearance. All of this count for more than flavour with them and so they only stock a small choice of apples that conform to what they want.

It’s a pity as some of the old varieties have marvellous flavour and scent, and are well worth seeking out and paying a little more for.
Petra

Nick

Nick

Because England no longer produce anything anymore. All the apples come in from France, Spain, etc. All England produce today, is just a bunch of chavs and yobs that roam the high streets with a large bottle of white cider in one hand and a fag in the other. :)
Nick

NoN-De-Plum

NoN-De-Plum

KENNY ADMIN KENNY ADMIN KENNY ADMIN KENNY ADMIN KENNY ADMIN
Let us have a vote about jobby; are they deranged or just a nuisance?
Free speech is one thing but nonsense ramblings are another.
I.P. block please
NoN-De-Plum
3rd Mar 13 17:14

anon

anon

"Oh, but for the grace of God go I". This one is below really is a fruit basket.
anon
2nd Mar 13 21:14

Petra

Petra

Marks and Spencer are currently selling "limited edition" bags of older varieties of English apples.

They are are fairly expensive but a nice change from the usually available flavourless varieties and I would always prefer a small amount of something good to a lot of something that is bland and tasteless.
Petra

Bernard

Bernard

It is like the demise of British textiles - the buying public insist on having the cheapest regardless of quality. I buy only British apples but I am disappointed at the number which are bruised. Of course, it would help if growers would come out of the black hole that they skulk in. The only apple advert I can remember ever seeing was 'Le Crunch'!
And for those who do not realise - most of the apples, even British, which are labelled 'Cox's Apples' are NOT Cox's Orange Pippins. The latter rattle when shaken if genuine.
Bernard

vicar

vicar

I followed the link to Ronnie appleseed and found alarge number of links to "sponsors" and no information about English apple varieties. Not quite what you had in mind, I suspect. Has this website lapsed? If so the link should presumably be removed from yours.
vicar

Jane

Jane

I tried to buy apples in ASDA yesterday, there were a few Cox's and nothing else, although for the first time in a long time there were english pears - heaven!
Jane

DSG

DSG

So,because you have a dislike for foreign apples,we can only have our "wonderful"British apples?
DSG

Sue

Sue

You cant stock English apples before they are in season -you will find all supermarkets have good stocks now .There isnt a year round supply of UK apples, and the UK doesnt grow certain varieties in commmercial volumes (Granny Smith, Golden Delicious).

If we didnt import apples we wouldn't have anything on the shelves from April (or earlier ) to late September.
Sue

Rhea.

Rhea.

to my utter joy I had an ocado delivery which include Worcester Pearmans a bit small and hard skinned but still home grown. I cannot wait for the Spartan's to come in.Lasy year Morrison's were stocking the best Spartan's I had seen for yrs, hope they do the same this yr. why oh why are our shops getting apples from abroad okay when our's are out of season but no need to at this time of yr.Wake up please you Supermarkets and go british
Rhea.

katieappletree

katieappletree

There are sources of local apples, from farm shops, country markets and "in season" sales at people's gates. I have a wide variety of young apple trees and am beginning to try and encourage people to ask for named varieties, but producers need local support or the fruit rots because there is no easy market for small scale producers like us who want to sell locally, but only when the fruit is "in season". (although of course the ponies dont mind helping to eat the windfalls/leftovers).
katieappletree

David Richard-Jones

David Richard-Jones

It seems only ASDA are stocking a wide range of english apples this year. The Co-op have been planting acres of orchards of traditional apple varieties, but I have not seen them advertised anywhere so far this year, although the apple season is only just beginning , so perhaps it is a little early. But whY don't they give advance notice, so that we can look for home-grown apples in outr local Co-op? I know the Co-op now produce their own cider from Co-op orchards and it is realy good!
David Richard-Jones

Paula

Paula

John Simpson, I concur. I was in Tesco saturday. I could buy apples from New Zealand, South Africa, Chile and Poland. The only English apple in sight was one and it was of the cooking variety. And they're all in plastic bags for our convenience. Tesco have it all wrong, wrong, wrong. I'm not bothered about a million choices, I'm bothered about buying local or at least British. And I don't want to be putting half a bin full of plastic in my rubbish just on my return from the supermarket. At least the CO-OP try and stock local. I can buy eggs and potatoes that are from my local area. And yes, I do buy my eggs and potatoes from there and not Tesco, because I want to buy LOCAL. Is it really rocket science?
Paula