Recent comments

grumpyoldwoman

I've probably mentioned this before; but here goes anyway. Can anyone tell me why it's normal to blame the victim in some types of crime, whereas in other types of crime (you know the kind I mean) anyone who blames the victim in any way is condemned and forced to apologise even when what they said is common sense?

If I go out and leave my door unlocked then it's my fault if the telly is gone when I get back. If I leave my car unlocked and my camera on the seat it's my fault if it's stolen. That surely is "victim blaming", but perfectly acceptable.

So, why is it so wrong to put at least part of the blame on girls who go out wearing practically nothing and get blind drunk if something bad happens to them? Especially if the boy involved is also drunk?
20th Oct 17 09:10 - Get on the soapbox

Gee

I am a bus driver for a very large company and wasn't on a school run but driving a public service that picks up the remaining children after the school buses as all children pay for their travel, children at the back of the bus playing music very loud with one of these beat box speaker contraptions, so politely I asked if they could turn the music down, to hear it from the cab and thinking it was loud it must have been!! after totally ignoring me for a couple of miles I pulled up at a bus stop and turned the engine off and got out of my cab and said I have already asked you politely to turn the music down so this bus isn't going anywhere, I'm guessing you all want to get home!!, got back into the cab crossed my arms and heard abuse from the back, ignored it and after a couple of minutes carried on my way, seconds later music up full again, thankfully the culprits got off a few stops later still had the cheek to play the music very loud till they exited with a few smarmy comments as they got off at a known area as a problem estate. I arrived at the bus station dropped off my passengers with any further problems, asked a superior if I know who the disruptive children are can I refuse to offer them travel as there are plenty off buses to get them to there destination at that time of day, Don't get me wrong I would never leave a child stranded!! and was told I have to grin and bear it as I'm not to refuse travel to any school child and just to place a report in writing, This is not a one off it happens every week not necessarily music but different sorts of bad behaviour on a public service such as bad language and shouting obscenities out of the upper deck windows to not necessarily their school mates but also to anyone we happen to pass by !! so now I am going to ignore the bad behaviour in the future and for those people whom have said the bus driver didn't do anything well I guess that is because we can't!! our hands are tied!! So please help the driver and report this bad behaviour to the bus company it will probably stand more ground.
18th Oct 17 02:10 - Out of control children on buses

Pan

I absolutely agree. I found out that most English do not have sense of humour. They are so cold and quietly racist and do not like foreigners living in England. Many of them are rude and show unwelcome face to people from abroad obviously.
17th Oct 17 07:10 - Why are English people so cold and

Jason

I feel so sorry for the PM. The way the media , journalist's & especially the BBC' s OTT coverage of her coughing at her party's conference was disgusting.Why do the so called Journalists & the paper's they scribble for play the Govt & the Country down during the Brexit negotiations? I have no political allegiance but credit where it's due.The PM is not a quitter.I believe she will get the best possible deal for the UK & don't agree with the comment below that suggests she has betrayed us.
16th Oct 17 01:10 - Get on the soapbox

Horse lover

I lasted one morning on home care don't do this job if you have a life ! My 1st week had 3 rota changes they didn't tell me about apparently you have to check your email 10 pm at night ! I gave them my avalibility said I could work every weekend but not dinner calls because I have animals to care for this was agreed . they took advantage of this 7- 10.30 sat and sun no break to even get home . even had to cheek on my first day in sept to ask would I work Xmas day . I was nervous my first day was told any problem ring the office for back up no one said office was closed on a weekend .did one morning on my own told them I'd had enough and quit . went back to working in a care home not ideal but at least I know what days I'm working and don't have constant rota changes .never again do this job
15th Oct 17 09:10 - Home care worker, poor pay and

Susie

My comments used to appear all the time, then I made a nice comment about our First Lady because everyone was bashing her and none of my comments have appeared since, I have noticed that they will print comments that agree with their agenda or whoever is paying to get press.
12th Oct 17 12:10 - Discussion forum censorship on The

IBrokeOutOfTheMicrosoftJail

'Upgrading' from Windows 7 to Windows 10 - worst thing I ever did (computing related).

After many serious annoyances and irritations including missed deadlines for a magazine I edit - because Microsoft had taken control of MY hardware and was trying to install an update WITHOUT my permission ...

... installing Linux and ending my near 40 year use of Microsoft products - BEST thing I ever did (computer related). No more forced updates. Most of the software you will ever need is available FOC as Public Domain or GNU Public Licence. More reliable, less likely to be hacked and - if you decide to move onto a different piece of software - more likely to be able to use old data with the new program as it is likely to use an open format rather than a proprietary one.

I started with Linux Mint, but have recently move to the Long Term Support version of Ubuntu. There's a learning curve, but once you're past that you'll feel liberated.
12th Oct 17 08:10 - Forced to install Windows 10 and

grumpyoldwoman

I got interrupted by the phone; "boilers for benefits" for the umpteenth time! (Another gripe.) It made me forget that I also meant to say that I think you are right, the problem today is short attention spans. An intro of a decent length would be too long to sit through!
11th Oct 17 10:10 - Get on the soapbox

grumpyoldwoman

LancashireLass, you are clearly on my wavelength! The GOM and I love music quizzes, and used to enjoy the "Bits and Pieces" round on the old Radio 1 Roadshows. Benny & the Jets by Elton John is a good one, recognisable by the first note!
11th Oct 17 10:10 - Get on the soapbox

Janet

Correction to post dated 03/10/17 @ 05:10 Line 9 The date should read 26/11/15 not 26/11/17
10th Oct 17 09:10 - Talk Talk and their very poor

LancashireLass

Just noticed this well deserved gripe and believe me I was mortified to get home to find some kind of unpleasant sludge on the back of my coat. No doubt deposited by some horrible not right who was travelling on the train before me. I'd love to hand them a dry cleaning bill.
10th Oct 17 06:10 - Slobs with feet up on a seat on a

ok chums!

What the hell that last bit is so racist people aught to control ther rudeness spot of tea of coffe anyone gooood daayyyy toooooo you!
10th Oct 17 02:10 - Why are English people so cold and