Growing palm trees in the UK, no need for plastic

As a Spaniard, paying frequent visits to the U.K., I am very surprised at the shoddy design and limited imagination of your resorts on the South Coast.

In Spain, seaside towns present the most beautiful architecture and delightful promenades, all designed to attract lots of tourists.  In England, the reverse seems to be the case.

I went to Brighton this weekend to see the famous new marina and couldn't believe my eyes.  There are gigantic palm trees all over the place - and they are all plastic!  The marina itself has to be entered via a huge car park which rivals your Spaghetti Junction and there are strange built-up road levels everywhere which disfigure the view from the houses around the marina.

50 species of palm trees which can withstand England's cold weather

No need for plastic palm trees, varieties exist that cope with English Weather Come on councillors of Brighton, surely you can do much better than this?  There are about 50 species of palm trees which can withstand England's cold weather and strong winds, so planting plastic trees is just a tacky unappealing and unimaginative.

Maybe they should try planting Washingtonia Robusta (hardy down to -6 degrees Centigrade) or Phoenix Canariensis (hardy down to -9 degrees Centigrade) or Butia Capitata (hardy down to -10 degrees Centigrade) or even Trachycarpus Fortunei (hardy down right down to -17 degrees Centigrade!).  Plastic is not fantastic!

By: Joaquin

miserablemoaninggit

miserablemoaninggit

Palm trees bring no benefits in terms of shade or soaking up significant amounts of carbon dioxide. I believe in Los Angeles, they are replacing their palm trees with broad leaved trees.

Palm trees are OK in botanical gardens and parks, but anywhere else they have no real practical benefit. We need shady trees that cool the city streets and soak up CO2. Palm trees are decorative, but that's not enough to justify any extensive planting in the UK.
miserablemoaninggit

Freedom For All

Freedom For All

Britain is too uniform. Most people are scared of change and despise different. This is a major problem all over the U.K where bland Soviet Style buildings dominate the cities. A splash of colour would perk up the scenery, and might, with a little hard work (and a miracle) make the English smile a little!
Freedom For All

Thomas Bach

Thomas Bach

You can grow certain species of palm in the uk in the ground!

tranchycarpus wagneranius(Windmill Palm) hardy: -15 C
jubaea chilensis(Chilean Wine Palm) hardy: -12 C
Cabbage Palm(Cordyline australis) -10 for a short period
Pheonix Canariensis: *not hardy for the UK. If you want a nice specimen move to warm climate. growth occurs at: +10 C
European Fan Palm(Dwarf fan palm) Not quite as hardy as windmill palms) hardy: -10

I have tested these palm in buckinghamshire on the uk mainland and pheonix canariensis suffers during the winter as temperatures do not hit 10 C regularly enough. Chilean Wine palm does well but grows slowly and I highly recommend this species for the uk mainland as its reliable. Cabbage palm grows slowly in early spring but grows rapidly in the summer.
Thomas Bach

Dulally

Dulally

Hi Joaquin: I've lived in Britain for 40 years lived abroad previously, but buy into your opinion. Would it be possible to plant any of the palms you mentioned in a container? Why? I'd like to bonsai them.If you can bonsai an oak, why not a palm? I'd be glad for any info, I'm not a natural gardener, tho' like everyone I have my ideal garden in mind. Thanks in advance :)
Dulally

DULALLY

DULALLY

Wow! thanks for the info. Can any oth the 'hardy' palms be grown in a pot? I don'tr want a 20ft. palm with 15ft of trunk. Would love a plam only 6ft x 4ft spread. Is this possible. If one can bonsai an oak, can I bonsai a palm? Info anyone?
DULALLY

malaga

malaga

England sooo doesn't have warmer winters! :D It's ridiculous to just think that! Check your sources!
malaga

I dont think so

I dont think so

may I just point out britain has a warmer winter than spain. Check your climates.
I dont think so
23rd Dec 10 19:15

chris

chris

England does not have cold weather, in the summer, plenty of palm trees can live in britain and already do so were I live - london. But im totally with you on the more palm trees thing
chris
22nd Dec 10 22:55

Calvin Swine

Calvin Swine

Too much rubbish in your bin? You could be locked up for that, then the state will take care of you and your rubbish.
Calvin Swine
3rd Jun 10 14:17

free woman on the land

free woman on the land

there is no way I would let the council fine me for to much rubbish in my bin and the bin out to long. who do they think they are its unjust unlawful they cant do it they seem to forget they work for us every one needs to stand up and say no
free woman on the land
3rd Jun 10 14:06

Jay

Jay

Re: MGZ's comment below...

I take it you are not English? Yet you yourself are nasty, aggresive, violent and vulger!?

I can only assume you are a jealous foreigner, explains a lot ;-)

And yes many palm trees grow here in the south of England, real ones too...
Jay

Cai James Williams

Cai James Williams

Hi. I would like to point out that I too feel like britain needs more palm trees (I am a local welshman after all). Mind you, I have a feeling that you (Joaquin) havn't been to Worcestershire yet, I've seen quite a few fan palms there (though I have not yet been able to identify them yet).
I've been thinking about going to cornwall recently, purely because I want to see if you are right . My mum went there and said she saw lots of palms and I want to see if she's right. If they are all plastic, mum's stumped. If she is right, your'e stumped (yes that's you Joaquin), and i'll have to say 'Jupiter likes you Ganymede!'.
Cai James Williams

Steve G

Steve G

I have to agree, the plastic palm trees look ridiculous, care needs to be taking though on suggesting Trachycarpus Fortunei whose large leaves will be browned and shreded by the cold winds. Phoenix Canariensis seems to be the most reliable fastest growing palm for an English maritime climate.
Steve G

boogywstew@aol.com

boogywstew@aol.com

...so it's true...Palm trees DO grow in England?! I'm a native New Yorker,spent a March week in London and was surprised to see flowers in bloom outdoors! It's amazing the strange things you obsess over in foreign lands.
boogywstew@aol.com
1st Oct 09 21:01

Brighterbritain

Brighterbritain

So true. There is absolutley no imagination, and understanding of what people like. Even many of the postcards show little imagination from the photogrpahers at many places of interest in the UK.

In Torquay, where Palm trees do grow, I read where, I believe it was the mayor, wanted to chop them down because of - yes, you got it - 'health and safety'. No, not a coconut falling on someone's head, but a leaf that might poke in someon'e eye. He needs 'removing' as a health hazard to the town's economy.

In London, you see many palms in people's terraced house small gardens.

No point in having climate change if we don't seize some of its benefits.

England has now become a growing, wine growing nation, with some quality wines that rank with the best. You don't believe? - True!

The coconut palm found profusely all over Florida is not a native of the State.
It was brought there by almost certainly the early Spaniards. Can you imagine Florida today without palm trees.

So come on sea-side Britain, inject some imagination and lets have some real palms along with our piazzas, and sidewalk cafes. We don't expect the coconuts, but....who knows.....one day. In our changing climate, and our virtual real world, anything can happen - with some IMAGINATION!
Brighterbritain