Get on the soapbox

There's lots of gripes on the site, but sometimes it's good to have a moan about everything in general and nothing in particular.

soap_box_speaker

Feel free to use this page to discuss anything at all including comments about the site and ideas to help improve it.

So what are you waiting for?

grumpyoldwoman

I've just found out, a bit late in the day, that the Chamber of Horrors at Madame Tussauds has been closed "due to complaints from families with young children".

Really? Is it me? I don't need to state the bl***ing obvious do I?
grumpyoldwoman

Police car sitting at the bottom of a slip road 30 mph limit leading onto a duel carriageway 50 mph limit. The gobsh1ts were booking drivers as they gained speed to join and blend into the flow of traffic. And they say they are not there to make money. TW4TS.

grumpyoldwoman

Dear God. The BBC has shot itself in the foot again.

The Christmas treat "Ordeal by Innocence" has been withdrawn because the beeb has pronounced Ed Westwick guilty without any proof of wrongdoing; a drama about a young man who was wrongfully convicted of murder.

You really couldn't make it up.
grumpyoldwoman

Isn't it amazing how the post office/ royal mail seem to lose insured parcels, birthday cards, registered mail, track and trace items.... but never JUNK MAIL !!!!

grumpyoldwoman

Ah, now I see what's going on! It's a plot by the man-made-global-warming-green fraternity. They think the planet would be better off without the human race (bear with me here).

Soon any physical contact between men and women will be illegal without prior written consent from the woman. The problem is that any man asking for written consent will be comitting an offence anyway, and the woman will have him arrested. Asking a woman for a date will be a hanging offence.

Within about a century the human race will be extinct and the man-made-global-warming-green fraternity will be happy. Well they would be if they weren't all dead.
3rd Nov 17 02:11

The insidious creep by the Tories to privatize the NHS, the behide the scenes monetary insensate from powerful private health firms to hidden powerful faces in authority . The unrelenting brainwashing of the British people that this is the way forward continues unabated. This strategy has been formulated over many years by the Tories and their pay masters. Yet, still after all the warning from Doctors, health chiefs, social carers and experts telling of what is happening the demise continues.

grumpyoldwoman

Now the latest crackpot scheme, to put up patients recovering from operations in people's houses AirBnB style to free up beds. Couldn't all these patients go to a small local hospital to recover? Oh, no, they've closed them all! But of course that's not the reason for the shortage of beds. Oh no, definitely not.

Next, you may be right.

There are the universities which won't accept speakers who hold controversial views, people accused of "hate crimes" for saying one or two words out of place with no malice intended, Christians vilified for upholding their religious views, police officers who only seem able to use "police speak" and not ordinary English, immigrants (some illegal) given preference over British people when it comes to doling out benefits and housing and allowed to stay on the thinnest of excuses even when they should have been sent home years ago, people arrested for defending themselves and their property even though the police won't come out when a crime is being committed, nurses who can't speak English well enough to communicate with their patients, councils charging more for collecting less rubbish and then wondering why fly tipping has increased, I could go on I'm sure!

And now apparently we are allowing back into the country people who have committed treason by going abroad to fight for ISIS, while terrorism is on the up. The lunatics are in charge of the asylum.
grumpyoldwoman

GOW, Perhaps the human race is in a state of transitional regression. Not only in the topic that you have mentioned, but also other areas that are not in keeping with common sense and level thinking. I often compare people that defies logic to the WINKY-WONKY bird that fly's in circles until it disappears up its own orifice. Take care, they walk among us!!!

grumpyoldwoman

I've probably mentioned this before; but here goes anyway. Can anyone tell me why it's normal to blame the victim in some types of crime, whereas in other types of crime (you know the kind I mean) anyone who blames the victim in any way is condemned and forced to apologise even when what they said is common sense?

If I go out and leave my door unlocked then it's my fault if the telly is gone when I get back. If I leave my car unlocked and my camera on the seat it's my fault if it's stolen. That surely is "victim blaming", but perfectly acceptable.

So, why is it so wrong to put at least part of the blame on girls who go out wearing practically nothing and get blind drunk if something bad happens to them? Especially if the boy involved is also drunk?

Jason

Jason

I feel so sorry for the PM. The way the media , journalist's & especially the BBC' s OTT coverage of her coughing at her party's conference was disgusting.Why do the so called Journalists & the paper's they scribble for play the Govt & the Country down during the Brexit negotiations? I have no political allegiance but credit where it's due.The PM is not a quitter.I believe she will get the best possible deal for the UK & don't agree with the comment below that suggests she has betrayed us.
Jason

grumpyoldwoman

I got interrupted by the phone; "boilers for benefits" for the umpteenth time! (Another gripe.) It made me forget that I also meant to say that I think you are right, the problem today is short attention spans. An intro of a decent length would be too long to sit through!

grumpyoldwoman

LancashireLass, you are clearly on my wavelength! The GOM and I love music quizzes, and used to enjoy the "Bits and Pieces" round on the old Radio 1 Roadshows. Benny & the Jets by Elton John is a good one, recognisable by the first note!

LancashireLass

LancashireLass

I love my music and as a treat for my colleagues at work I create a game for Fun Friday entitled Just The Intros. The game consists of naming the song, artist or group from listening to the songs introduction. As you can imagine some intros are so recognisable you only have to hear the first bar, and that's manly from older music. One of my younger colleagues asked me why do I not put more up to date music in, the answer to that is that they just don't exist, and believe me it's not for trying. It seems that these days the opening of the song either consists of the name of the artist/band or the song and it's almost as if artists these days treat their audience like idiots by having to remind them who and what they are listening to. Also if you do happen to get round the obligatory reminder the intro, only, lasts 2.5 milliseconds before the vocals kick in and basically that's down to, again, treating the listener like an idiot by saying you have the attention span of a flea. Bring back the good old intro, take Sweet Child of Mine by Guns and Roses, for example, that intro is guaranteed to get everyone going.

Thanks for reading please comment.
LancashireLass
LancashireLass

Tersa May and her remain cowards have betrayed the UK over the Brexit vote. When the next general election comes in the UK we will see the Tory Party destroyed for their treachery.