Get on the soapbox

There's lots of gripes on the site, but sometimes it's good to have a moan about everything in general and nothing in particular.

soap_box_speaker

Feel free to use this page to discuss anything at all including comments about the site and ideas to help improve it.

So what are you waiting for?

grumpyoldwoman

I've probably mentioned this before; but here goes anyway. Can anyone tell me why it's normal to blame the victim in some types of crime, whereas in other types of crime (you know the kind I mean) anyone who blames the victim in any way is condemned and forced to apologise even when what they said is common sense?

If I go out and leave my door unlocked then it's my fault if the telly is gone when I get back. If I leave my car unlocked and my camera on the seat it's my fault if it's stolen. That surely is "victim blaming", but perfectly acceptable.

So, why is it so wrong to put at least part of the blame on girls who go out wearing practically nothing and get blind drunk if something bad happens to them? Especially if the boy involved is also drunk?

Jason

Jason

I feel so sorry for the PM. The way the media , journalist's & especially the BBC' s OTT coverage of her coughing at her party's conference was disgusting.Why do the so called Journalists & the paper's they scribble for play the Govt & the Country down during the Brexit negotiations? I have no political allegiance but credit where it's due.The PM is not a quitter.I believe she will get the best possible deal for the UK & don't agree with the comment below that suggests she has betrayed us.
Jason

grumpyoldwoman

I got interrupted by the phone; "boilers for benefits" for the umpteenth time! (Another gripe.) It made me forget that I also meant to say that I think you are right, the problem today is short attention spans. An intro of a decent length would be too long to sit through!

grumpyoldwoman

LancashireLass, you are clearly on my wavelength! The GOM and I love music quizzes, and used to enjoy the "Bits and Pieces" round on the old Radio 1 Roadshows. Benny & the Jets by Elton John is a good one, recognisable by the first note!

LancashireLass

LancashireLass

I love my music and as a treat for my colleagues at work I create a game for Fun Friday entitled Just The Intros. The game consists of naming the song, artist or group from listening to the songs introduction. As you can imagine some intros are so recognisable you only have to hear the first bar, and that's manly from older music. One of my younger colleagues asked me why do I not put more up to date music in, the answer to that is that they just don't exist, and believe me it's not for trying. It seems that these days the opening of the song either consists of the name of the artist/band or the song and it's almost as if artists these days treat their audience like idiots by having to remind them who and what they are listening to. Also if you do happen to get round the obligatory reminder the intro, only, lasts 2.5 milliseconds before the vocals kick in and basically that's down to, again, treating the listener like an idiot by saying you have the attention span of a flea. Bring back the good old intro, take Sweet Child of Mine by Guns and Roses, for example, that intro is guaranteed to get everyone going.

Thanks for reading please comment.
LancashireLass
LancashireLass

Tersa May and her remain cowards have betrayed the UK over the Brexit vote. When the next general election comes in the UK we will see the Tory Party destroyed for their treachery.

Anon

Anon

Interesting gripe that the post office has lost a parcel and then the claims form. Just check out the alleged reports on the net of how many postal workers are caught every day thieving while at work.
Anon

I sent a parcel by "Special guaranteed insured" next day delivery before 9am (Post Office jokers).
They lost it!!!!!
Put in a claims Form with all the proof, guess what? They lost that fcuker too.
It's no wonder the incompetent British Post Office is loosing out to private delivery firms.

grumpyoldwoman

Something that is REALLY annoying me right now........

I want a lightweight showerproof jacket to wear in warm damp weather, which we do get a lot of now. Because it's for warm weather I'd like comfortable cotton lining to stop me getting - you know. Damp armpits. Then I'd expect the outer layer to be either treated cotton or a man-made fibre which are mostly water repellant. Makes sense to me. BUT not to the manufacturers of clothing it seems.

And just to make it worse, I've seen one on several websites which says 100% cotton. Whoopee I thought the first time I saw it. Then I read a bit further down the details. 100% cotton, lining 100% polyester. Now I'm finding others like this.

SO, you put the layer which absorbs water on the outside, and the layer which will keep out the water on the inside.....................

Kenny

Kenny

I've just posted up a poll on Twitter if anyone's interested.

Should schools do more to enforce the school uniform policy?

Kenny

grumpyoldwoman

I'm in two minds about it, Kenny. The trolls were a nuisance, but I suppose if we can have their comments removed it may be ok. On the other hand it's a pain when people use more than one name to "support" their own arguments!
2nd Aug 17 02:08

Kenny

Kenny

I put the login system in place after moving to Wordpress and again rebuilding the site. This was in response to requests from regulars due to Trolls spoiling many a debate.

It would seem this is no longer required and I'm thinking of going back to allowing anonymous comments and moderating after publishing again. Anyone against this idea?
Kenny

Jason

Jason

Brexit Negotiations. Would like to fast forward to March 2019 to see if we've actually left the EU & if the new design passports have been issued prior without EU wording on the cover!
Jason

Kenny

Kenny

Hi Boblet, send me the login details you're using and I'll check it out.
Kenny
22nd Jun 17 10:06

Ex user

Ex user

Boblet, you of all people should know better that "flogging a dead donkey". Move on to new pastures.
Ex user