Get on the soapbox

There's lots of gripes on the site, but sometimes it's good to have a moan about everything in general and nothing in particular.

soap_box_speaker

Feel free to use this page to discuss anything at all including comments about the site and ideas to help improve it.

So what are you waiting for?

grumpyoldwoman

grumpyoldwoman

Something that is REALLY annoying me right now........

I want a lightweight showerproof jacket to wear in warm damp weather, which we do get a lot of now. Because it's for warm weather I'd like comfortable cotton lining to stop me getting - you know. Damp armpits. Then I'd expect the outer layer to be either treated cotton or a man-made fibre which are mostly water repellant. Makes sense to me. BUT not to the manufacturers of clothing it seems.

And just to make it worse, I've seen one on several websites which says 100% cotton. Whoopee I thought the first time I saw it. Then I read a bit further down the details. 100% cotton, lining 100% polyester. Now I'm finding others like this.

SO, you put the layer which absorbs water on the outside, and the layer which will keep out the water on the inside.....................
grumpyoldwoman

Kenny

I've just posted up a poll on Twitter if anyone's interested.

Should schools do more to enforce the school uniform policy?

grumpyoldwoman

grumpyoldwoman

I'm in two minds about it, Kenny. The trolls were a nuisance, but I suppose if we can have their comments removed it may be ok. On the other hand it's a pain when people use more than one name to "support" their own arguments!
grumpyoldwoman
2nd Aug 17 02:08

Kenny

I put the login system in place after moving to Wordpress and again rebuilding the site. This was in response to requests from regulars due to Trolls spoiling many a debate.

It would seem this is no longer required and I'm thinking of going back to allowing anonymous comments and moderating after publishing again. Anyone against this idea?

Jason

Jason

Brexit Negotiations. Would like to fast forward to March 2019 to see if we've actually left the EU & if the new design passports have been issued prior without EU wording on the cover!
Jason

Kenny

Hi Boblet, send me the login details you're using and I'll check it out.
22nd Jun 17 10:06

Ex user

Ex user

Boblet, you of all people should know better that "flogging a dead donkey". Move on to new pastures.
Ex user
21st Jun 17 09:06

boblet

It is me again every once in awhile I harken back to the days of the Weekly gripe that I remember and post another gripe for nostalgia. I do not understand all this face book & twitter.

No luck I still receive a solid red bar. Maybe it is Kenny taking the piss.

A solid red bar appears

I

boblet

I felt I must make an effort to comment on this important polling day. I am an abstainer normally. I refuse to vote selfishly. I refuse to say prayers for my personal benefit. I am also working class man. However, shall I vote today? and if so, for whom? that is the question. I would say at this juncture I disliked Thatcher, believing her to be both dishonest & selfish, but she would be perfect against the French & Germans to negotiate our Brexit. Theresa May is the second woman to hold the post of P.M. A canvasser has just walked passed my window. "Flash" I have just made my mind up. I will put party politics to one side and vote for Theresa. As a Christian woman she ticks the important box's. Religion, Honesty & Stubbornness, traits required at this point in time.

I tried again but had to go through the moderated gate with the above comment.

Kenny

Hi Boblet, It should post straight away if you're signed in. Let me know if you're having problems signing in.

Kenny am I blocked?

Jason

Jason

General Election 2017 . If Labour win this election i will sell my house & immigrate.
Jason
1st Jun 17 04:06

boblet

Have just tried to post a gripe. I left my nickname. I dotted yourself. I clicked I was not a robot. received a green tick. Clicked submit comment. Nothing happened. Please advise Kenny? I have dotted Guest to post this comment.
1st Jun 17 01:06

Kenny

For me this is the comment that says it all :

"Updating your computer if you're an individual is a piece of cake, but for a network the size of Britain's National Health Service? Tough - time-consuming, expensive and complex. For a company like Microsoft to say it won't keep those systems safe unless they shell out more money, then that in itself is something of a ransom."

Organisations such as the NHS move very slowly, they only just rolled out Windows 7 last year where I worked. Their IT departments are so bogged down with bureaucracy it's inevitable they will be caught with their trousers down!