No privacy with kids trampoline in the garden

Perhaps it's just me getting old, but what's with this new craze of having a kids trampoline in your back garden?

We will live in pleasant, suburban area where detached four bedroom houses and big(ish) gardens are the norm as a result we fully expect there to be kids knocking around and a modicum of noise emanating from said kids.

Bouncing up and down peering over the fence...

We came home the other day having done a hard day's graft at the office, looking forward enjoy one of those rare summer evenings and to a nice relaxing alfresco dinner, to find a rather large construction protruding over the fence between our house and our next door neighbours.  Fine, says me until two rather large and extremely noisy children were bouncing up and down peering over the fence watching me as I prepared our dinner in the kitchen.

Kids trampoline in the back garden Kids will be kids trampoline or not, I said to myself; despite feeling somewhat uncomfortable and continued to ignore the raucous laughter and gawking, half wishing I was their age again!!  That was until we sat down for our nice alfresco dinner, during which the kids continued to jump higher and higher and higher whilst looking over at us, laughing loudly, pointing at us and commenting to us on what we were eating in VERY loud voices.  This needless to say left us feeling discomfited enough for us to waste the rare summer evening and go indoors to finish our dinner.

What I want to know is:-

Where has this craze come from all of a sudden?
Why oh why do parents insist on putting up these trampoline right next to their neighbours fence or a road?
Does anyone else feel that trampolines are an intrusion of privacy or is it just me? and...
What should I do?

By: Lottie

Peacelover

Peacelover

Absolutely agree...These are simply hideous things, large, ugly, obtrusive, and make a horrid din, they sound like very heavy people having ''relations'' on a squeaking, thumping bed.
Being forced to watch manic behaviour as the screeching kids fling themselves about screaming and shouting , their silly heads and shoulders and flailing arms appear every second or two..
Parents these days are lazy, they won't take the kids anywhere, and won't tell them to be quiet, either.
One house nearby had one in the front garden, an utter eyesore..why not put it in the back garden?
But no, the parent/s are too selfish for that, so ruin the look of otherwise pretty front gardens.
They are a curse.
Peacelover
2nd Jun 19 12:34

Old too

Old too

Get a grip. Some children have ADHD and need these trampolines.
Have you forgot what it was to be a child??? Talk about the Fun Police.
I would rather see small children playing happily in this world, than roaming the streets. Parents should be commended for buying a worthwhile fun present for their children, rather than being put down for it.
Old too
21st May 19 22:56

Highjump

Highjump

It’s not just the sound of the screaming kids on a trampoline it the constant squeaky noise from the springs that driving us nuts every day from after school until 9pm. The comment further down about not buying a house next to a trampoline is something I’m very aware off and that was the case until we got new neighbours with 3 children under 8!! It’s also seems all their friends come round most days to play on it as well. I just want to sit in my garden after work with a glass of wine and relax but it’s becoming unbearable. Of course if I say anything then I’m looked at like it’s me because everyone thinks their children are perfect and can do no wrong!
Highjump

Gary

Gary

It's definitely the season of warmer weather. These issues always come around again in the summer. It's a symptom of how society is evolving. No respect for each other or other peoples' property. No respect for the environment, wildlife ,the law etc. The list goes on.
Gary

Fed up of noise

Fed up of noise

How can these parents be allowed to have trampolines in their gardens? it's not nice for their neighbours who have to listen to children screaming, shouting and crying on a daily basis in all weathers, most neighbours return home from work after five to listen to this terrible noise, along with our elderly neighbours too, there's no need when they all have cars too lazy to go out with their children, why should we suffer?
Fed up of noise

Climbing Ivy

Climbing Ivy

A neighbour who's back garden butresses mine, erected a masive trampoline. It touches my fence which shakes when they are on it (that's 3 kids and their freinds sometimes). The stupid father goes on it as well and looks directly into my garden. Accompanied by lots of screaming and shouting, then inevatably crying, summer is not my favourite time of the year. My local council thought this was not an issue, but if I planted shrubs bigh enough to block it and them out, it WOULD be! Apparantlley huge obtrusive trampolines are not considered to be permanent but shrubs would be, evoen though they can be pruned according to a 'situation'.
On the whole, children and their parents were not selfish, thoughtless and antisocial as may of them are now.
Climbing Ivy

Deaconx1

Deaconx1

I totally agree when I moved into this house there was no trampoline but the button of a daughter is going to prison so the grandparents are having the children because their mother is on drugs, I feel sorry for the kids but the constant noise weekends and after school is unbearable I’m about to loose the plot and fall out with my neighbors after 20yrs. All you do gooders with kids need to consider other people so just do one.deaconx1
Deaconx1

Tillb

Tillb

Hey, what about a trampoline directly looking into my lounge area. Surly that is an invasion of my privacy. Any advise who I should contact. Wish I could post pictures, make you laugh.
Tillb

Guest

Guest

Noisey neighbours, screaming kids, drunks, cold callers,long waits to see a doctor, traffic jams, etc,etc.
And then there's TRAMPOLINES. lifes a real bummer these days.
Guest

grumpyoldwoman

grumpyoldwoman

Oops, typo spotted as I hit submit!
grumpyoldwoman

grumpyoldwoman

grumpyoldwoman

Gurest, I was speaking in general terms about the original gripe. Yes, it would be wise not to buy a house with a trampline next door, but it doesn't entirely solve the problem, does it?
grumpyoldwoman

anon

anon

Although I have every sympathy for people blighted by this contentious issue concerning trampolines and noise, one must realise if you buy a property that has a family with small children next door, trampoline or not, noise in the garden as the kids play will be heard. Maybe the answer is to do your own inquiries beforehand if you want peace and quiet.
anon

Guest

Guest

@GOW, The issue is, they bought the house with the TRAMPOLINE already there. BAD PLANNING. Too many people move into an area and then start to gripe and want things changed to the way they want them. Next time, read what is relevent. GOT IT.
Guest

grumpyoldwoman

grumpyoldwoman

A TRAM? I went on a few of those when I was a small child.

However I assume you mean a trampoline. Well, that's ok as far as it goes, but what do you do when the neighbours get the trampoline after you've moved ? Or new neighbours arrive and bring one with them?

Didn't really think it through, did you?
grumpyoldwoman

Guest

Guest

@Anon N, Buy a house with a tram in the next garden and you will see kids playing on it and making noise. FACT. if you want peace and quiet, don't buy a house with a tram in the next garden. Bad planning. Got it.
Guest