No privacy with kids trampoline in the garden

Perhaps it's just me getting old, but what's with this new craze of having a kids trampoline in your back garden?

We will live in pleasant, suburban area where detached four bedroom houses and big(ish) gardens are the norm as a result we fully expect there to be kids knocking around and a modicum of noise emanating from said kids.

Bouncing up and down peering over the fence...

We came home the other day having done a hard day's graft at the office, looking forward enjoy one of those rare summer evenings and to a nice relaxing alfresco dinner, to find a rather large construction protruding over the fence between our house and our next door neighbours.  Fine, says me until two rather large and extremely noisy children were bouncing up and down peering over the fence watching me as I prepared our dinner in the kitchen.

Kids trampoline in the back garden Kids will be kids trampoline or not, I said to myself; despite feeling somewhat uncomfortable and continued to ignore the raucous laughter and gawking, half wishing I was their age again!!  That was until we sat down for our nice alfresco dinner, during which the kids continued to jump higher and higher and higher whilst looking over at us, laughing loudly, pointing at us and commenting to us on what we were eating in VERY loud voices.  This needless to say left us feeling discomfited enough for us to waste the rare summer evening and go indoors to finish our dinner.

What I want to know is:-

Where has this craze come from all of a sudden?
Why oh why do parents insist on putting up these trampoline right next to their neighbours fence or a road?
Does anyone else feel that trampolines are an intrusion of privacy or is it just me? and...
What should I do?

By: Lottie

Deaconx1

Deaconx1

I totally agree when I moved into this house there was no trampoline but the button of a daughter is going to prison so the grandparents are having the children because their mother is on drugs, I feel sorry for the kids but the constant noise weekends and after school is unbearable I’m about to loose the plot and fall out with my neighbors after 20yrs. All you do gooders with kids need to consider other people so just do one.deaconx1
Deaconx1

Tillb

Tillb

Hey, what about a trampoline directly looking into my lounge area. Surly that is an invasion of my privacy. Any advise who I should contact. Wish I could post pictures, make you laugh.
Tillb

Guest

Guest

Noisey neighbours, screaming kids, drunks, cold callers,long waits to see a doctor, traffic jams, etc,etc.
And then there's TRAMPOLINES. lifes a real bummer these days.
Guest

grumpyoldwoman

grumpyoldwoman

Oops, typo spotted as I hit submit!
grumpyoldwoman

grumpyoldwoman

grumpyoldwoman

Gurest, I was speaking in general terms about the original gripe. Yes, it would be wise not to buy a house with a trampline next door, but it doesn't entirely solve the problem, does it?
grumpyoldwoman

anon

anon

Although I have every sympathy for people blighted by this contentious issue concerning trampolines and noise, one must realise if you buy a property that has a family with small children next door, trampoline or not, noise in the garden as the kids play will be heard. Maybe the answer is to do your own inquiries beforehand if you want peace and quiet.
anon

Guest

Guest

@GOW, The issue is, they bought the house with the TRAMPOLINE already there. BAD PLANNING. Too many people move into an area and then start to gripe and want things changed to the way they want them. Next time, read what is relevent. GOT IT.
Guest

grumpyoldwoman

grumpyoldwoman

A TRAM? I went on a few of those when I was a small child.

However I assume you mean a trampoline. Well, that's ok as far as it goes, but what do you do when the neighbours get the trampoline after you've moved ? Or new neighbours arrive and bring one with them?

Didn't really think it through, did you?
grumpyoldwoman

Guest

Guest

@Anon N, Buy a house with a tram in the next garden and you will see kids playing on it and making noise. FACT. if you want peace and quiet, don't buy a house with a tram in the next garden. Bad planning. Got it.
Guest
3rd Aug 18 10:15

Anon Neighbour

Anon Neighbour

@Guest, do you not think @John has a right to enjoy his garden in peace and not have his privacy challenged? I think he’s not being a moaner about the issue. There is actually something called ‘quiet enjoyment’. As you can see the majority of comments are the fact that the offending neighbours are not showing consideration for others.

I agree he doesn’t want to fall out with them but some neighbours don’t see how their antisocial behaviour impacts the rest of the neighbourhood as a whole.

The only alternative is otherwise move out because of unruly neighbours (but it sounds like @Guest doesn’t really know @John’s circumstances either and calls it ‘bad planning’ on his part).
Anon Neighbour
2nd Aug 18 18:15

astra

astra

i have a trampoline right outside my kitchen window and back door the 8 year old girl has just been playing on it with no knickers on just a vest her 10 year old brother and his friend came to play on the trampoline as well I commented the girl should get some knickers on as it is in full view of the road . their mother came down to the bottom of the garden shouting if she wanted to let her daughter play without knickers it was fine
astra

Antitrampoliner

Antitrampoliner

Just so you know some towns have ordinances . We do in IL there is a 10 foot set back from side property line and back property line. It does help so not right on fence or property line. Call your local town who’s in charge of residential codes , zoning . Trampolines are sometimes under “ recreational equipment “.
Good luck! They should be outlawed!
Antitrampoliner

Buster

Buster

Up to 5 children at one time can be bouncing up and down on the trampoline 2ft away from my garden fence. Good job the Royal Berkshire Hospital is close but why should accident and emergency pick up the bones for lack of supervision by parents!
Buster

Barberosa

Barberosa

We had this issue with our neighbors as well; what we did was buy a trampoline place it in the same back corner as theirs and when they annoy us my husband and I get on our trampoline and "spy" on them and ask annoying questions. they are inside within 5 minutes. fighting fire with fire.
Barberosa

fedupfran

fedupfran

Unfortunately, we live in a society where far too many people think they are the centre of the universe, have no standards and bring their kids up without standards. They are inconsiderate and thoughtless and turn aggressive as soon as anyone tries to approach them with a reasonable request or question.
These morons encourage their kids to be confrontational and downright rude. It is everyone's worst nightmare to have this type of family next door. They do what they like, use offensive language in a loud manner in the garden, have their houses look like trailer trash and are generally a total pain.
It is a sad state of affairs when you can't enjoy sitting in your own garden.
They go unchallenged because there is very little you can do about them.
Trampolines in the garden are anti social.
fedupfran