EastEnders is not suitable for children

I admit I do find EastEnders quite entertaining as it makes me feel that my life isn't so bad after all.  My 9 year old daughter doesn't go to bed until 8pm so I can not watch the programme at the time it is aired as I feel it is extremely unsuitable for her.  It portrays the wrong image to impressionable children.  I don?t want my daughter to grow up thinking that it is acceptable to have affairs, to lie to your friends and family, to steal, the list goes on.

I seem to recall last year the The BBC being fined ?150,000 by Ofcom after broadcasting the lewd messages that Jonathan Ross and Rusel Brand left on Andrew Sachs's answerphone.  Well I think some of the story lines on EastEnders have been far worse than this and if they were actually scenes in a movie it would carry a rating of 15 at least!

According to the BBC's Editorial Guidelines on Television Scheduling and the Watershed, Section 5.4.6 states that "Television scheduling decisions need to balance the protection of young people and particularly children..." Section 5.4.7 states that "Programmes broadcast between 5.30am and 9pm must be suitable for a general audience including children."  A child watching TV I'm sorry, but I really don't think EastEnders adheres to any of these guidelines.  What is the point of having guidelines if they aren't going to be followed?

...a history of causing upset and complaints

EastEnders seems to have a history of causing upset and complaints amongst its viewers whether it be about gay storylines, violent scenes shown on Christmas Day, drunken pub brawls and various other plots that people have found inappropriate.  You'd think something would have been done about it by now!  Perhaps they need to be hit with a few more hefty fines to realise that they just can not carry on getting away with it.

Bad boy

Bad boy

I find it should be appropriate for children to watch but the parents should be responsible if any innapropiate scenes come up but other than that it is just a show and it is like every other show because it's not like a child has never seen a fight scene in a marvel movie or something like that because if they didn't it would just be ridiculous but it is a good show
Bad boy

Wissipossy

Wissipossy

Kigdidkkrjrjrjrkd unopened my bum
Wissipossy

Lemsip

Lemsip

It shouldn't be broadcast until 9pm with only two episodes a week. Also around Christmas and the New Year period it should be taken off air to give us a break from it but instead there is a huge episode with the most dramatic storylines on Christmas Day in the evening just when everybody is feeling bloated and tired.
Lemsip

Lots

Lots

I don't thick it's inappropriate, You see these things on the street all the time , would you stop a child walking down the street.
Lots
2nd Sep 16 14:39

crap

crap

my wife lets my 5 year old watch eastenders
crap

Jay velez

Jay velez

Easterenders give the wrong message to our children's
Jay velez
31st May 16 20:21

Dave

Dave

Well, you guys are all bloody shining knights aren't you? Unless you all live in Kensington & Chelsea you'd be better off knowing that life is not perfect and that one needs to know how to deal with all sorts of people.
Dave
23rd Jun 14 11:45

Samson (Delilah's too busy to post)

Samson (Delilah's too busy to post)

Personally I don't think Eastenders is suitable to be aired on television.

Eastenders is a perfect example of why the TV licence should be abolished.
Samson (Delilah's too busy to post)
23rd Jun 14 08:49

collar

collar

I can assure you, We had the same type of problems with Brookside, and people like The Grants won't change! If you say anything, you'll seem like a party-pooper. If you don't, you'll get completely wrapped up in the weak story-lines. I suggest just try to let things wash completely over you, and then just jot down or say to someone every now and again, all the things that are annoying you. Having a good moan about the'Dirty dens in life really does no good! He's not real!
collar
22nd Jun 14 22:52

anonymous

anonymous

I personally think that Eastenders is fine for children because you say its teaching them that it is ok to have affairs and everything else but it isn't because the person who committed the crime always has a consequence so actually it is teaching the opposite and some comments are saying that people speak differently because of it but is that really a problem? they are not swearing and they are enjoying something is that really such a bad thing? some people find it a comfort to distract them from there own lives. you don't know how difficult some situations that people are going through are maybe they enjoy Eastenders as it is a distraction from their own lives.
anonymous
22nd Jun 14 16:34

Josep

Josep

I'm catalan and I live in Barcelona with my British wife. I never watch Eastenders. My wife always watches it. I only hear it from my room and always I hear fights, arguments, screams,..... My wife blames me quite often. She gets angry easily. Is it because of Eastenders?
Josep

ANTIFACEBOOK

ANTIFACEBOOK

I agree as it is shows like these that have changed the soicety of children.
ANTIFACEBOOK

Dan

Dan

Eastender is unsuitable for kids because it is unsuitable for anyone. All it does is make its viewers miserable, while keeping them hooked by being very emotional and ending scenes on cliff hangers. After Eastenders had finished in the pub, I had to leave because everyone had become so miserable that I couldn't bare to be around them. It's OK bad things happening in TV because bad things are a part of life, and they make you appreciate the good more when things go well, but all Eastenders do is focus on the bad things in the most depressing way they can. If kids watch it regularly, they won't start swearing, they'll just become miserable and begin to think negatively, which is much worse IMHO.
Dan

Mrs Smith

Mrs Smith

How can EastEnders be broadcast with so many double negatives?

This has always been a personal gripe of mine yet the amount of people I know that use double negatives on a regular basis is unbelievable and they always seem to look absolutely bewildered when I attempt to point out what they've done.

It's hardly surprising that people think it's the norm to use sentences such "ain't got none" when programs like EastEnders use double negatives on almost - if not - every episode! !!

I'm 26 years old and this isn't something I was taught in school, I'd say it was common sense that I'd picked up throughout my childhood from being an avid Enid Blyton reader.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is the way the English language has evolved and maybe I'm the one on the wrong? Am I just being old fashioned and picky?
Mrs Smith

Teutonic Knight

Teutonic Knight

This is the problem today -too many people into dumbed down TV with nothing better to do than watch artificial life. If they had a proper life of their own the world would become a better place without cabbages and couch potatoes.
Teutonic Knight