BBC TV licence fee should be scrapped

Like most people in Britain I own a television set and I am currently paying a small fortune for the 'BBC TV licence fee' each year and my gripe is that I'd like to know what I'm getting for my money!  I certainly don't think that I'm getting enough value.

Like many other people I feel that I am subsidising the BBC because I rarely ever watch terrestrial television and I prefer to surf the many digital channels currently on offer instead.

Some of the reasons given for the fee is that it helps to keep the quality of BBC TV programmes at a high standard and makes it possible for them to broadcast quality content without the constant interruption of annoying advertisements and commercials.  Well I suppose these are pretty valid points, but they are probably the only ones as far as I can see.

Also if you were to treat the TV Licence fee as a subscription and compare the cost with a subscription to the popular digital services.  Your subscription to terrestrial channels would work out at about 10 to 15 times more expensive!

What are the alternatives to a TV Licence?

The TV Licence - funding the BBC So what are the alternatives to funding the BBC with the licence fee and what would the end product be like?  One option would be to charge a separate subscription fee and possibly even boost revenues by allowing advertisements.  I suspect though that this may not be too popular due to the fact that people quite like having a channel with no adverts on.  Another option would be to integrate the channels with existing subscription services so that you can opt in for these channels in the same way that you would for any other premium channel.

At the end of the day though, it's probably all too much trouble for those in charge and besides they would not be prepared to accept any of the inevitable losses that would be incurred.

If you're paying for a TV licence like the rest of us, you might as well check out what the beeb have to say on the subject.  There's lots of usefull information here like how to pay for one, if your so inclined that is!

If like me you think the licence fee should be abolished then there are campaigns out there where you can make your voice heard.

Rob258462

Rob258462

The amount of rubbish that the BBC has on as well as all the repeats makes you wonder why we pay a fee to watch repeats. We only pay for the BBC TV and radio. As I rarely watch BBC due to all the rubbish they have on, and very rarely listen to the radio it's not worth paying the now £147 a year.
Rob258462

Kenny

Kenny

When did the BBC get this sneaked into "law"?
Licence required to watch the iPlayer and catchup TV

Kenny
1st Sep 16 01:09

tricky

tricky

scrap bbc channels altogether
tricky

grumpyoldwoman

grumpyoldwoman

bsi, yes there is a lot of rubbish on the beeb, but a lot of good stuff too.

Just starting this week; The Young Montalbano (BBC4), War & Peace (don't know how good this will be yet), Immortal Egypt with Joann Fletcher and a new series of Death in Paradise (always good escapist stuff with sunshine).

We have a new series of Still Open all Hours, (almost as funny as the original imho), then there's Great Barrier Reef with David Attenborough (if you enjoyed The Hunt why not this) and Dickensian seems as if it's going to be entertaining (only watched 2 episodes so far).

Over Christmas and New Year there was, of course, Doctor Who, Professor Branestorm Returns, Call the Midwife, Tim Burton's Frankenweenie (BBC2), And Then There Were None, Catherine Tate's Nan and Jools Holland's Hootenanny with some excellent guests.

Not so bad after all; though I must admit I record everything so we don't have to watch any adverts, but it is nice not to have to fast forward every 10 minutes to avoid them!
grumpyoldwoman

bsintolerant

bsintolerant

The BBC is a constant stream of sing offs, pot offs, cook offs, dance offs, bake offs etc. When not showing the above it is previews, debriefs, 'extra slices' of this tripe, or programmes about their own programmes.

BBC breakfast news features almost no news and is basically just an extended infomercial.

I get more value out of QUEST than I do the BBC - though frankly I've pretty much abandoned TV in favour of the Internet.

I resent paying a BBC tax to fund the drivel that generally makes up the BBC schedule. In the whole of 2015 I only watched one programme the wildlife presentation 'The Hunt'. This was excellent but not worth the licence fee.

The licence fee was good while it lasted - but it is time to scrap it!
bsintolerant

MR P

MR P

I can never find anything worth watching on bbc, to me they only produce rubbish programmes, that includes the news. If im really bored i occasionaly put on a nature show but thats really is just a last resort.
I wouldnt batter an eye lid is the disappeared from the face of the earth tomorrow.
Is the fee good value? its not a fee its a tax which is extorted under threat of prison, and no its bad value.
MR P

collar

collar

Save your money and get a 'freeview box' - you will find in most areas of the UK that it will still pick up BBC channels anyway - simples.
Collar's top money-saving tip for the day.
collar

LancashireLass

LancashireLass

I have always been in the opinion that the TV licence was yet again another way to rip off Britian and I still detest it. However I do sort of see another side to it, and that is no adverts which can be annoying. I have family who live in Canada and the adverts over there get more air time than the actual tv programme that you are watching, they even splice your chosen programme to make more room for yet more ads, this has been proven as I sent over Mrs Browns Boys dvd for them and when it was aired over in Canada it was cut to shreds. The TV licence maybe steep but I do believe we have some of the best telly in the world, uninterrupted and shown in its entirety so maybe it's not all that bad paying for the BBC.
LancashireLass

Phil

Phil

I've stopped paying for my TV license by getting rid of my TV. I've never felt better. I think more clearly and don't feel that incessant urge to switch on the telly even if i'm not going to watch it.
TV is full of repeats, downright nonsense and lies in the form of 'news'. Join me people. Open your eyes. Live love laugh!
Phil

collar

collar

You're right about the GMTV presenters- take Lorraine Kelly for example - just over an hour in the morning (hence the relatively 'unpleasant' wait time) for a 10 minute slot! I note the comment about the chavs and disabled. I have no issue with that as a principle and I know that the huge majority TV watchers are licenced but I saw a woman with a black and white one around the back to get the colour one one with no apparent sign of a sattelite dish that I could see - I wonder how people like that sleep at night?
collar

HH

HH

I listened to the news last night about GMTV Good Morning - Daybreak or whatever it's called now, still having problems and they are trying to tempt a BBC presenter over to help with ratings.

The problem isn't the personalities, its because the programme is s**t.

Its been complete tosh since it first aired and hasn't got any better over the years.

Its for chavs, written by chavs and full of nonsense about celebs in LA, tacky competitions and stories that are lifted from the Sun and Star newspapers.

Who gives a stuff about some two bit celeb having detox because they have too much money for the limited amount of sense.

What the evidence is showing GMTV is that we want to be educated not dumb down. We want factual, rather than made up stuff. We want to be engaged not insulted. But for years successive so called talented people have failed to see what the rest of us see.

Who pays these muppets. Hire me for 300k per year and I'll sort it out for you (a third of the price your offering your new presenter.

Get it right or get it off.
HH

Nick

Nick

A good part of our hard earned TV license money unfortunately will end up in the pockets of those fat-cat directors of BBC.
Nick

Dean80

Dean80

Bbc is absolute s#%t for people who can't think like vegetables. They waffle on like turds about things that they have never experienced and waste time with out of date ideas. Either evolve or make way for the newer and better.
Dean80

Fred E

Fred E

Be quiet Jethro or i'll come round and bum you x
Fred E

Jethro

Jethro

Fred E (impersonator), Does posting all this rubbish make you feel better?, because other normal people reading on this site must wonder about the state of your mental health, or is it some sort of anger at the system which makes you so obnoxious? I hope after reading my comment you will stop and think about your actions, but I very much doubt it. If you choose to reply with abuse, this will only confirm that you have problems which need attending to.
Jethro