I don't like Christmas and here's why...

Christmas is just around the corner and I know I'm going to get some flack for this, maybe hear a few comments like "Bah! Humbug!", but it's got to be said anyway.  I really don't like Christmas these days with a passion and it's mainly because of the way it gets rammed down your throat whether you celebrate it or not.

First of all it's the radio.  I've actually got a whole gripe dedicated to Mercia but I'll save that for another day and stick to the Christmas gripe.  The problem I have, is that I work in an environment where we have the radio on all day long and so listening to the same songs every hour is actually quite torturous enough, so when they start playing "Winter Wonderland", "Santa Claus Is Coming...", "Frosty The Snowman", "Merry Christmas Everybody" and "Stop The Cavalry" every hour you start to seriously question you're sanity.  Then there's the adolescent radio DJ who's so excited about Christmas he sounds as if he's about wet himself... where on earth did they pluck him from?  This is all fine for those who just have to drive to work with the radio on, but spare a thought for those of us who have it in our ear all day.  Of course let's not forget that we get more of the same every time we go into a shop or supermarket throughout the month of December!

My next point would have to be the way that Christmas is seriously over commercialised and pushed hard by the retail sector from November onwards.  The bonfires are still smouldering when the first leaflets advertising a Christmas Sale drop through the letterbox.  Christmas trees, lights, crackers, puddings, mince pies, nuts, those trashy gift sets, chocolates, wine and cheese boards all suddenly pop up on the shelves as if by magic.  Actually, I have to say that this all came to my attention when I visited a pub this year to have a meal and they had already put up their Christmas decorations and Christmas tree... in OCTOBER!!

Christmas Tree We're supposed to be trying to conserve energy and where possible recycle to lessen our impact on the environment.  Why then are half the houses in our street lit up like giant Christmas trees.  They actually look pretty tacky with thousands of flashing lights and giant animated Santa's and Snowmen.  I can only imagine what the electricity bill for that household will be like.  This probably wouldn't be so bad if it were just a couple of weeks in the year, but these people have the Christmas lights on from November until nearly the end of January!  Why???  Another point I'd like to mention is the obligatory sending of Christmas cards to everyone you have ever vaguely known.  It's kind of nice I guess, but I can't help but feel guilty about all the card and paper used at this time of year for a simple Christmas wish.  I know there are card recycling facilities these days (not everyone uses them) and that the kids can use them in craft projects etc., I just think that it's still a bit of a waste so these days I quite often send e-cards to my tech savvy friends.  By the way "Mel and Ian", I have absolutely no idea who you are or where you live so don't expect a Christmas card from me in return.

The giving and receiving of Christmas gifts is supposed to be a joyous thing, but I can't help feeling that it's all a bit false these days.  We're going through the motions because it is expected of us.  The shops of course have us sewn up good and proper with a vast range junk ready to be snapped up by those who don't have the time to put in a bit of thought or creativity.  I wonder how much capacity on our landfill sites can be attributed to unwanted (and possibly undeserved) Christmas gifts.  I think the over spending and the money side of Christmas has already been covered elsewhere so I won't go on about it here.  But it's all for the kids though right?  You know, those little darlings that terrorise you the rest of the year with their whining.  Hmmmm... that's another gripe I think.

There are plenty of other things that bug me about Christmas but it's mainly the lack of balance and the way that we're really starting to go way over the top about it every year.  We're turning into a bunch of Americans for goodness sake!  So... can I look forward to a tirade of those "Bah! Humbug!" comments then?  By the way, there's a few things I do like about Christmas such as the time off work (not nearly enough though), a bit of socialising with friends, seeing the family again, and of course the yummy food and drink... who doesn't enjoy that?  Don't over indulge though because the weight loss companies, money lenders and package holiday companies (presumably to get over the stress) are all waiting for you to emerge in January.

Lemsip

Lemsip

I agree wholeheartedly with this article but would like to make some corrections. Retailers push Christmas hard onto us from the first week in September not November and crappy Christmas songs are played loudly in the shops throughout November as well as December. Actually I quite liked them when the alternative was the absolute rubbish in the charts from 2008 to 2013. It starts earlier and earlier each year and the 'Book your Christmas meal now' signs start to appear in the summer and this year there was one in February. This has to stop.

When out for casual drinks with friends in November and December I can always spot the office parties in pubs and restaurants from the groups of friends or social clubs having their Christmas meals. The latter are always so tense and miserable. They have to appear to be enjoying themselves only to be gossiped about the next day and it's the only time of the year they get to socialise with colleagues unlike before when many workplaces had their own social clubs. It seems even worse than having to work.
Lemsip

bleh

bleh

I don't mind x-mas but it is way too commerialized I would rather just have a meal with the people in my household. I am not bothered for gifts anything I need I get myself. Also buying things for others to then have it got out once and never see the light of day again is just a waste.
bleh
21st Oct 14 19:42

grumpyoldwoman

grumpyoldwoman

Have just realised that my last post needs correcting; the directors do work out on site, when I said "the men who go out on site" I meant everyone except the directors and me!

As to the shops; the number of empty ones in our local town centres is increasing, soon the only ones left will be the "identikit" chains, all the small locally owned shops are closing.
grumpyoldwoman

grumpyoldwoman

grumpyoldwoman

what recession?, as I've said elsewhere I work for a civil engineering construction company. Are we included in your phrase "building organisations"? The recession hase certainly hit us hard and we have very little to do with house building.

Our turnover for the last couple of years has gone down by around 40% and I have only today managed to pay my salary for October. We pay the men who go out on site first, the directors (grumpyoldman and partner) and I (company secretary) are last on the list for getting paid! (Skint, are you still there?)

I think alot of people will be paying for this Christmas when the next one comes around!
grumpyoldwoman

what recession?

what recession?

What recession? Everyone is shopping, shopping, shopping. The kids are wearing designer gear with the latest gadgets and gizmos. Everyone looks so well dressed. TV, media, magazines all telling us what to spend our money on. Designer tv programmes and Kirsty and Phil in La La land of the middle class.
Is this another farce? Are we spending our hard earned cash instead of borrowing?

Hmmmm....methinks that the recession has been exaggerated and agree with the previous post, it is linked to the property, buy to let and building organisations linked to other businesses only and subsequently affected people who work for them.
what recession?

omg

omg

I cannot stand the the Christmas songs and music they play in supermarkets and shopping centres. The music is put on extra loud and blaring and sounds bloody awful. They are the worst type of songs ever and puts me off shopping. Our local Tesco insists of putting on the music full blast! How on earth can it make people buy more? The area is clear except and not even kids like it.

Why turn Christmas into absolute tack?
omg

omg

omg

Skint has a good point. Why should we be eternally grateful to be working for a company that just sees us as a number or perhaps even better - married to them!

Yes, a bonus would make most people happier than a flaunt and flirt at the Xmas office party jobbie.
omg

grumpyoldwoman

grumpyoldwoman

Skint, maybe they can't afford to pay a bonus or throw a party! Have you thought of that?

When did a "bonus" come to be an expected payment? I thought that a "bonus" was an extra payment you get when your company has had a good year. Has your company had a particularly good year, or have they just scraped through like many others?

Maybe you're lucky that your employers have made it this far through the recession and you still have a job.
grumpyoldwoman

Skint

Skint

The main thing I don't like about Christmas is the Scrooge firm I work for who pay no bonuses whatsoever for the season; nor do they hold an office party any more. Nor do they give you any extra time off. Heathen b'tards. It's a miserable time of year. By twelfth night my bank account needs quantitative easing. Mervyn King bail us out.
Skint

Jake

Jake

What's a record? Sounds like a game or something, so it must be fun stuff. Don't be miserable.
Jake

DSG

DSG

I have yet to find a gripe on Easter,or Halloween.
DSG

mii

mii

Then don't celebrate it then its as simple as that. I dont care very much for Easter or Valentines Day so I dont buy eggs or send cards and the same can be said about Christmas and any other holiday . . If you don't like it don't celebrate it.
I like Christmas but I don't allow myslef to get carried away or worse, in debt until mid Summer.
I do have some minor gripes though . . . .
If you don't like buying silly toys then make some baked presents. My Christmas cup cakes went down a treat last year with my family and the ingrediants or time didnt cost me the Earth.
Send an E-Card instead to those who have email address, it saves on paper and postage stamps. Some people I know get really uptight if they don't get a Christmas card off someone "Well its that last time I send her one!" they grumble. Tit for tat....SAAADDD!!
Why? Why is a piece of card so important these days? They clutter up your home and just end up in the recycle box in the new year anyway!
And then people moan about gaining weight over Christmas so......don't over indulge then duuhhh!
I do believe families are put under pressure at Chistmas to buy buy and buy some more to the extent they are showing off or in competition with one another. Luckily my family are down to Earth and we won't fall out if I've just bought calendars for everyone or not spent a shed load on the kids - everyone needs a calendar don't they??
So once again, if you feel so strongly about this holiday, judging by the comments most of you do, then don't celebrate it.
xx
mii

Biscuitbum

Biscuitbum

I want Christmas banned. I`ve cut down the number of presents I send to two, and my cards to just under ten, although some of this is down to natural wastage!
Biscuitbum

anne

anne

Is`nt that the truth about christmas. I used to love it when I was akid, but when I grew up, I found that it`s all about making money for the toy, drink, & sweet manufacturers. For the rest of us, it`s just about getting jostled & pushed in crowds, trying to buy presents before they are sold out, stress, & end ing up in debt in the new year. Another thing is, it sarts earlier every year.
anne

Freddie

Freddie

Christmas is rubbish. I hate it!
I would be happy if they scrapped the whole thing along with everything else religious. I will never understand how one womans lie about an affair escalted the way it did.
Freddie