Birmingham airport drop off parking charges

Another fine example of how the public are being ripped off wherever possible.  Birmingham airport parking (rapid drop off) apparently charge you £1 even though you are quite literally driving through and dropping someone off.  I would have thought that the name would have said it all.  You know, "rapid drop off".  So you're not really parking at Birmingham airport as such, you're just dropping someone off at the airport or picking them up.

I find it absolutely amazing that this kind of thing goes on in this country and no one does anything about it.  I'm having a gripe about it now because I've just come back from an early morning drop off at Birmingham airport (1 pound lighter in the pocket).  Not a lot of money to complain about you might say, but when you consider that you can actually park up in most town centres without a charge and go and do some shopping you realise it's a right con.

you're allowed twenty minutes to drop passengers off or pick up

Interestingly I noticed the "no reversing" signs on the way in to the "car park".  They've designed it very cleverly so that there isn't really a "rapid drop off point" at all, it is in fact an extremely short stay car park, i.e. you're allowed twenty minutes to drop passengers off or pick up.

Birmingham airport parking, drop off parking Now having looked into all this back home, I understand they have made these changes to the parking system for security reasons after the incident at Glasgow airport.  Now let me think about that.  It might be a good idea to change the way that Birmingham airport drop off parking works, but is it really necessary to start charging drivers for the privilege?

I believe they're adopting this policy at other airports around the country as well, so Birmingham airport isn't the only place you'll be made to pay.  Apparently you can park free in the drop off area if you are disabled, or alternatively you can use the long stay car park and get a shuttle bus.  Hardly drop off parking though is it?

Needless to say when I'm making the return journey to pick up, I will not be using Birmingham airport's rapid drop off parking (read rip-off).  I know its not a lot of money (well, actually it is these days) but it's the principle damn it!

By: Fed up with rip off parking charges at Birmingham

Mrs G.

Mrs G.

This is for Disabled drivers who want to leave the drop-off car park. It is very useful having up to one hour free parking it works well. But my suggestion is for the ticket to leave and raise the barrier should be used for this purpose including showing the Blue Badge. Why not install a magic eye on the machine as well as being able to speak to an operator. As I was stuck at the barrier with alot of vehicles behind me clamering to get away, I was told to pull over and go to a cabin, what a joke when stuck in the middle lane.
Mrs G.

Dell

Dell

they are robbers absolute robbers, but the staff working at the car park are great cannot fault them most probable that they are working on minimum wage too, I explained that I wasn't expecting having been to the airport many times in the past, £17 for 25 minutes and they did reduce it to £12, other people was also complaining, i felt sympathy for the staff i bet its really stressful for them while the fat-cats owners enjoy themselves on their yachts and think of new ways how to avoid paying tax, about time someone did something about this, you go to the airport and want to see the last glimpse of your loved ones before they jet off and these bloodsuckers prey on that
Dell

Dawn

Dawn

Birmingham airport is ripping people off with their car park charges we dropped our passengers off for their flight a week ago and were charged £1 fee and as like someone else pointed out disabled are free but the place where you have to take the ticket is to far from the park so we just paid the £1 we had to hurry the family we dropped off with a baby so we could get back out before the 20 mins was up. Phew! we managed that and all week we worried about parking on going to pick them up ..... On picking up a week later it was very busy so we were directed to car park 3 as 1 and 2 which I believe are drop off points were full but not knowing Birmingham airport to well we ended up on a car park charging nearly £5 per hour and because it was so far away from the terminal by the time the passengers had come through from getting there bags because the baggage belt kept getting jammed we didn't make it back to the car in time and were 5 mins over the hour so were charged nearly £10 :( I could have cried £10 is alot to pay for just over an hours parking, disabled can't claim this back either as this was on the wrong car park to claim back fees .Never again will we be parking at Birmingham Airport it's just a money making scheme to rip off passengers and families dropping and picking up passengers I am disgusted at the prices they charge.We would have like to have stayed and watched some flights go in and out and have a coffee but when all you can think about is the car park and worry sick about how much its costing you just can't have a pleasant experience.
Dawn

boblet

boblet

Leeds airport is the same Mike it has been set up by a computer nerd. However when I booked a parking place at manchester it was brilliant, I cannot comment on anything else at Manchester.
boblet

mike

mike

The most rip off airport I have come across. I recently went to drop of a friend flying out. The airport management have cleverly created a network that you simply cannot park without paying or being ticketed.
drop off zone costs you £1. park on red lines you get points and fine. There simply is no place to stop unless you got spare cash.
This is a pure example of motorist rip off. If the airport management reading my comment you need to be ashamed of yourself
mike

beau007

beau007

If the car parking arrangements were made to increase the safety of passengers, then there wouldn't be any car parking. Charging or rather extorting money from people to park isn't going to increase passenger safety.
I now fly from Manchester all the time, there you aren't charged ridiculous prices, the luggage trolleys are free AND they have a far better Duty Free section. A much better and more enjoyable travel experience. So much for foreign owned airports, bulldoze it and make a bigger carparking for the NEC.
beau007

Kal

Kal

Ripped off at Birmingham Airport, £7.00 for 21 minutes, I remember when it was free and the system worked well.
Kal
2nd Sep 13 09:20

Jim Warren

Jim Warren

My last comment contained a typo. It should have said that the non-returnable fee for using a trolley is one Pound or two Euros. Sorry about that.
Jim Warren

Jim Warren

Jim Warren

To get a disabled parking discount you have to find the NCP desk which is as far away from the car-park as they can get it. Don't try this if you're disabled.

Why aren't the drop-off car-park and route to the airport building covered to keep off the rain? Like many organisations Birmingham Airport is playing the security card to justify the worsening of conditions and poorer service.

The non-returnable fee for the use of a trolley is 1£ or 2€. What an exchange rate! Visitors to our country must be overwhelmed by the generous welcome they receive.
Jim Warren

Bert

Bert

Are the Birmingham Airport Police working for NCP or the safety of the traveler ? If you want to be able to get free drop off go to Birmingham International Rail station, they have a free drop off carpark and the monorail takes just 90seconds to get to the airport and it too is free, Hurry berfore they cotton on and the rip off spreads !!! And you wont see the police moving people on or issuing tickets, even though they are parked on douible yellow lines and obstructing public transport ! ( I guess Virgin rail does not have an arrangement with the police to keep their coffers filled)
Bert
23rd Oct 12 12:56

STEVE ( A LOCAL OAP )

STEVE ( A LOCAL OAP )

BOURNEMOUTH AIRPORT,NO FREE DROP OFF POINT,BOURNEMOUTH TOWN AND SEA FRONT NO FREE PARKING,RESULT, THE TOWN AND SEAFRONT DESERTED,BUISINESS CLOSING,ADD A COUPLE OF WEEKS OF BAD WEATHER IN JULY/AUG,ECONOMIC DISASTER.PEOPLE WILL COME TO THIS LOVELY TOWN, ENJOY THE GARDENS,WALK ALONG THE PROM ( A THING WE LOCALS TAKE FOR GRANTED) THEY WILL SHRUG OFF THE "SURF REEF" FIASCO, PUT UP WITH THE PRICE OF ICECREAM ETC AND EVEN THE RAIN BUT PARKING ANYWHERE NEAR THE BEACH, AND WE HAVE MILES OF IT, IS TOO EXPENSIVE,
STEVE ( A LOCAL OAP )

Boblet

Boblet

Another advantage of L.Pool Bob is all you have to do is follow the 82a it goes to the airport every half hour.
Boblet

Bob

Bob

I've just enjoyed reading the gripe about the 'rip-off' charge for dropping off or picking up passengers at Birmingham Airport and I totally agree, but what can we do?

I visited the airport yesterday to drop off several people going to Spain (lucky beggars) for a hen party.

The 1st problem I encountered before even getting to the airport was missing the exit off the roundabout after coming off the M42 because the bloody road sign was obstructed by trees and, it was only by chance that I managed to get onto the right road, which was a hazardous task in itself as 2 lanes suddenly go into 1 and in pouring rain as was the case at this time nearly caused an accident with an idiotic taxi driver 'on a mission'.

After completing the task of delivering my passengers (when I eventually found a parking space in the 'rapid drop-off point') I then went to pay the said 1 fee. I managed to complete this unfavourable expense at the 3rd machine as the previous 2 were 'Out of order' and as it was absolutely bucketing down I was at this point very, very wet and more than p****d off. I then joined the queue of other soggy drivers and eventually left the airport area.

The next and final straw was finding the right road to take me back onto the M42 for my return journey, somehow, and I can't understand how or why I was heading towards Chemsley Wood - where was the M42? You've probably at this point realised that I haven't got a SatNav but that's where you're wrong, I have, but because I'd been to B'ham Airport before albeit a couple of years ago I thought I knew where I was going and that I knew how to get back - how bloody wrong was I.

I think I'll go to Liverpool (John Lennon) Airport next time, at least if I get lost I can ask a scouser and enjoy getting confused!
Bob

HM

HM

Nothings says welcome to a city like being charged for trolleys in the airport when you arrive bleary eyed from another country . No wonder we are being outmanoeuvred by places like Manchester and Luton. It would also aid navigation if the roads signs were actually illuminated at night on the airport roads.Fortunately the signs are all colour coded. Unfortunately using colours like an opticians colour vision test book.
HM

Anon

Anon

Don't be so effing stupid. A pound discount is hardly free - it's a small concession in recognition of the problems disabled people face with getting around.

Any comments on the anti social pavement cycling you defend so often? How about acquiring some simulation glasses and then finding your way about your town with a white cane for a week and see if you still think cycling on pavements is ok ?
Anon