Why recruitment agencies are useless - by a candidate

I am looking to relocate in the next few months, I'm not sure where to, but just fancy a change of pace from Bristol; I kind of miss Cardiff so I am going to start there.  I have tried changing jobs, changing house, changing state of mind, however, I think it's time to move on and taste the air of somewhere new then maybe, just maybe, I can start to relax when I turn 30 in June.

I am looking for jobs in the local areas.  As I work in recruitment myself, I'm not at all surprised when I discover that it's difficult to find a job without going through a recruitment agency.  New locations are tricky to work out; who does what, where, when and how etc.  You would think that a recruitment agency would be able to help wouldn't you?

Here's the problem.  I am looking for a change of pace with a new job in another sector or change of career doing something completely different, however I seem to be pigeon-holed into this one category of work.  It's not the employers that are doing that.  A well trained HR officer or manager should be able to peel away the layers of a CV and work out if you will be good for business.  Yet the dumb recruitment agencies I've worked with so far can't see past the box they've neatly dumped me into!  They tell me that they're not putting me forward for other jobs to protect the client.  Hello? I'm sure they can make their own minds up and tell the difference between a dodgy CV, and someone who just wants to expand their horizons!  All that I am asking is for an opportunity to get my CV and a covering letter in front of a potential employer.  Maybe that could then lead to sitting down and having a conversation with them if they like what they see.  Is that too much to ask?

Recruitment agencies, an unnecessary evil As far as I can see, it's the recruitment agencies that are putting up all the road blocks to self development.  They are making it impossible for candidates to make contact with the right people in a company because they interfere too much.  Everything out there is seems to be bogged down with 'new business preferred suppliers' and Christ knows what else for that matter.  Recruitment agencies are an unnecessary evil and I'm hoping that this credit crunch will shut some of them down.  With their KPIs and targets, no wonder the recruitment market is like this.

If you're in this line of business already, I bet your thinking 'Why can't you find your own job then if recruitment agencies are such a stumbling block?'  The reason I can't is because of the commitment and the long hours I put in to do a professional job in my chosen sector.  It's hard to find enough time to do all the searching that would be required.

My gripe is really about those unprofessional agencies that are stuck in this world of KPI's, CV's to interviews, and interviews to placements.  They way I do things, I'm more interested in getting the right candidate to the right job.  I make as much, probably more than the 'KPI monkeys' and my candidates respect me when I say 'No, they don't fit'.  I also don't make false promises that I can't keep.

Honesty is missing in recruitment and the dishonest car salesman type recruiters are everywhere!

By: Derek

Dave Edwards

Dave Edwards

Unfortunately, my sister works in this hollow sector and informs me the best way to annoy them in these days of GDPR is if you hear nothing from them contact them by email and ask them to remove you from their databases and not contact you again and to confirm it by email when done.
Under GDPR you have the right to 'be forgotten'
Dave Edwards

Dr.John

Dr.John

6 months ago I took over as Operations Director for a SME involved in the biotech sector. I was absolutely horrified at what the company was paying to recruitment agencies in fees for temp staff. We employ full time a HR manager who is fully qualified and a HR assistant we are paying through her qualifications. There where a handful of agencies on the PSL, and one particular agent who believed he was allowed to turn up on site and wander around anytime he felt like.
I've got rid of the PSL, made the HR department aware of their responsibilities. The agents still ring daily but now when we need temp staff we employ them on our contract for 3_6 months pay them the same as perm staff and save around Ā£65,000 p.a. Everyone's a winner, except the recruitment vampires!
Dr.John

Bertil

Bertil

A couple of tips if you have to use these vampires are;

1. Buy a payg SIM that you can bin when you get work or change your number, giffgaff are a good choice because they allow you to change your number.

2. Set up an email you can close when you get work, Yahoo or Gmail are good options.

3. If you can get around it never give them your address/real address.
Bertil

Ianmace

Ianmace

I stopped using them a couple of years ago. I know there are a few goods ones out there unfortunately the other 90% have tarnished them.
I regularly get calls in work from agencies touting for business and more often than not I just put the phone down on them, unprofessional but satisfying!
Ianmace

Alady

Alady

In my experience recruitment agencies scour company job sites then advertise that they are working 'exclusively' for 'their' client. Laughable when you see several adverts that are identical.

I have stopped using them. Despicable low-lifes in the main. I do, however, use their efforts. From their adverts I track down the company that is really looking to employ someone. This should, in theory, give a competitive advantage over someone being 'sold' by an agency. No recruitment agency commission.

I actually did this yesterday. Agency called me about a role and they suggested my CV was a waste of time for the employer as I lived too far away. I said, "Fine." I tracked down said company using the details provided by the agency and have an interview next week.
Alady
22nd May 18 11:33

Mo mo

Mo mo

Totally agree......everyone's banging on about oh there's loads of jobs out there so if that's the case why is everyone still unemployed.... And as far as recruitment agencies they can't see past there own nose!!!! How some people get to work in these agencies heaven only knows they give out thr impression they will help you when all there doing is helping them selves. You apply fgor jobs you know your capable of doing but thats it nothing no acknowledgement or call you back...
Mo mo

Simon

Simon

Hello I find this first comment hard to say but their are genuinely reliable agencies out their however their are very few of them as I have consistently found out. I'm currently unemployed & have spoken to over a dozen this week alone who have all insisted on needing my personal details then when they have them yes that's right .....nothing apart from excuses & time wasting once I actually turned up to register with an agency 20 miles away for a job only to get a phone call to be told the job wasn't available then an hour later it was this yo yo game went on half the day the other half I returned to them to tell them to remove my details & pay me for my wasted time ( I was reasonable ) they did. I won't be wasting my time with the good or bad ever again. Unless they pay me for my time first
Simon

Deux

Deux

Agents are uneducated chavs who can't get a real job. Scumbags one and all. Hate the ground they walk on.
Deux

nojob jen

nojob jen

Ive joined 15 šŸ˜”agencies and all the jobs recruitment consultant have put me through to
have gone in house. They are all time wasters. There should be a law out .
nojob jen

StevieB

StevieB

I despise Job Agencies, they are the lowest common denominator, a blot on the landscape of the job market. All they are concerned with is making money, they have zero interest as you as a candidate, they just care about when their next pay cheque is arriving and for how much it's going to be.

You have no choice but to use these useless individuals as the market has nigh on been swallowed up with these low life talentless retches who base everything on face value and the entire procedure of being able to verbally sell yourself to a prospective employer has been lost as a result.

They never ring you back when they say they're going to, they make promises of jobs that don't exist to keep you on a lead, they use your LinkedIn account and email in an attempt to harness your popularity to promote their vile advertising campaigns, bombard you with jobs of no relevance bar a keyword embedded in the text and most annoying of all, they take a huge cut for it for your prospective employer.

What exactly do they do to earn their money, it's not like they're rushing about ringing you up, they're just glorified CV pickers, slimey arrogant twerps who rummage through clients to pick the 'best ones', judging candidates, in a lot of cases, badly, while basking in their own deluded self importance.

Oh and they lie, they don't even think twice about it, the lies come streaming out of their mouths like pinocchio on crack, just to make sure they clinch that deal and make their commission. If it means the job later turns out to not be what you thought because they lied, it matters not to them, you're just cannon fodder - as long as they can make sure you stay for 6 months so they can get paid, their 'job' is done. ASSHOLES.

I am amazed that employers still stand for it, I've noticed larger companies still do the employment process themselves, saving themselves money and forcing away these blood sucking maggots with a long pole, just like all employers should.

Hopefully more employers will start to see sense and then we can get back to the good old days where the employment process wasn't such a time and money consuming chore.
StevieB

collar

collar

Yes my partner had the same sort of experience when after years of working with a company was actually dismissed, and left to claim ESA for a short while. The benefits officer with a straight face suggested recruitment agencies and she bolted down stairs and out of the building. This did nothing for the atmosphere at home the place was like egshell walking, we just wanted to get away and forget the whole matter. At the first agency the staff where rude and as we are business people they seemed a bit intimidated. Ive managed to run into an old friend from our past (despite not seeing him for ages) he helped my partner and we pay our gratitute to him. They treated us like slaves at the first agency and had no right to do so.
collar

Estella

Estella

I couldn't agree more. I too am in my 30s and looking to begin an actual career after years if being in over worked, under valued, under paid jobs. I am so frustrated when I apply for a job I really want, a stupid agent will call me, getting my hopes up, and instead of talking about this role I want, she'll want to talk to me about what my 'ideal roles' would be-clearly thinking I'd be no good for the role I've applied for in the first place, and desperate to make a buck by getting me on her books. This has happened a lot.
I had no idea how bloody useless these agencies were until this year, when I found myself unemployed (left my job due to a serious illness in the family) and ended up dealing with them frequently. It is astonishing how THICK some of the girls who I've spoken to have been (and as a 35 yr old woman, they really are girls to me) One was reading from my CV and found it impossible to pronounce the name of the area I lived (4 letters, plain English) couldn't say the words 'Blenheim Palace' -she pronounced it 'Blen-hym Place'!! And actually had to ask me what a BA was!!!! And this girl earns more than I've ever earned in my life, that's the maddening thing.
Others have emailed me after I've applied for a job, clearly a generic email, and haven't had the common courtesy to actually write my name after 'Hello' or 'Dear..'- they just leave it blank.
Another agency knew I really really wanted to be put forward for a particular role, said they would, then a few days later oh so casually tell me the position was filled a few days before, and immediately want to know if I'd be interested in this or that, desperate to get me to go for something else, not seeing how insensitive they have just been.
I loathe them now, and hate the fact that it is almost impossible to avoid using them. Sadly the majority of jobs are through these fools.
Estella

insightful88

insightful88

Employment agencies are job hunting fast food.....JUNK!!
insightful88
22nd Jul 14 18:22

insightful88

insightful88

Cv library, Monster, etc - simple handy hint.

if you see a job advertised one of these sites. Analyse the job description to work out location of the company, Industry/sector, and try and glean any other information you can use to do a search on Google for the company. Then you note down their details and phone them ie repeat process I outlined below. You will be in charge of your future rather than an agency.
insightful88
22nd Jul 14 18:21

insightful88

insightful88

If you want a job...

1 Think what industry you want to work in
2 Think how far you can or are willing to travel
3 Create a list of companies and contact them by phone (to get names, email addresses, etc)
4 Write your cv and a cover letter and make sure spelling and grammar are correct.
5 Send cv and cover letter to each company

Dont use employment agencies as they lie, manipulate....and give you false hope....or to put it another way they will waste your time
insightful88