People who complain about recruitment agencies

After reading a number of posts on this website regarding recruitment agencies and their lack of service towards the candidate, I have realised that many of you need enlightening on the processes and business model of an agency.  And just so you know, I am a Recruitment Consultant.

One of the biggest complaints I have noticed is about the service received from consultants.  The simple fact of the matter is this: You do not pay a penny to use our services.  We receive contact from our clients informing us of their need to fill a vacancy, we will then look for the most suitable candidates and not waste our time with unsuitable applicants.

We do not work for the candidate.  It is impossible for us to stay in contact everyone on our database and provide a consistent for a number of reasons.  One being the fact that most sizable agencies have tens of thousands of candidates on their books.  Secondly, the number of people who apply for roles that they are not suited to or qualified for is simply staggering, there is no way going to contact 100 unsuitable candidates when I need to spend time contacting the suitable ones to screen and prepare them.

Eggs in a box I am lucky to work in a specialist agency where the focus is on quality rather than numbers.  However, I am familiar with the workings of high street agencies.  I have also read a number of posts about never hearing back from one of these agencies.  The problem here is that they have callcentre like targets: 90 outbound phone calls a day, X amount of CVs sent, X amount of interviews arranged, X billed each month before they see any commission.  They simply dont have the time to reply to every application.

And before you complain about our huge salaries, Ill let you guess how much I earn.  Expect to be surprised.

Ill close on a couple of helpful points to remember when using agencies:

• Use an agency that specialises in your industry; engineering, I.T, catering, etc.
  • Dont apply to vacancies that you dont suit - youre just wasting time.
  • Just because you are looking for work it does not mean that there are any vacancies.  Sometimes we are telling the truth when we say that theres nothing available.
  • And last but not least: Remember that you do not actually pay us anything and we are essentially a free service to candidates.  I know you are frustrated that you are out of work, but I highly doubt that you would complain about the quality of a free meal if you were hungry.

Angi

Angi

Hello all,

Does the recruiting agency have a right to ask me a directed debit to my bank account?

Could you answer by email, please? My email is angiangi226@yahoo.co.uk.

Regards,

Angelina
Angi

Queen

Queen

Consultants are just fakes. They appear at safety Conferences and never give a candidate a contract, yet the candidate has the nebosh. You are a disgrace and where is all the students exam fees.? Look at there cars, clothers. What about the candidate s who did the study? an average course is 2000 to 6ooo? A disgrace. I would not recognise you cons
Queen

Sharp leics

Sharp leics

Hi
I received a call about some work at a parcel hub in Hinckley from an agency in Leicestershire, they made strange comments on the phone even before I had got to the role.
Are you sure you know how to get there? Yes?
Have you any job centre paper? Not signing on, sorry?
You are too small? Discrimination?
Yet had experience, civilised and travelled all over uk and the world.
They sent me there for a 3 am shift? Got there at 2.2o am? A drive of 50 mins. Got a text still have it, saying they would drop of a uniform at reception as can't work otherwise.guess what it is now 4am no one turned up? and I sent home security saying it has to be the uniform. I ring them later no apology?
Terrible attitude? Said what's your name again?
Maybe there's no work? And you turn up and get or don't get work? Playing around with candidates?
Felt cheated? Felt disrespected? I am better than you
You won't get a second chance, the previous agency gave me similar temp work, mon to Friday for 4 weeks, same times?
All they want here is to register?
They were so callous and thought they were better. I have read 500 books and been to 60 countries and worked with vip, I do apologise my house is not a mansion, but at least I have manners, been to makeup school and have prestigious exams, what have you got ? except a disregard for candidates and enjoy your manipulation. At the parcel hub some staff told me sometimes work and sometimes not, so why waste petrol? Lucky I have other work. What a poor first impression
Keep your parcels
Sharp leics

NickW

NickW

nb: I made some spelling mistakes 'cos I'm sooooo fuming about this guy!
NickW

NickW

NickW

This is predictably, a load of excuses wrapped up in a plethora of whinging.
After over 20 years of contracting and therefore, 20 years of dealing with agencies I can say with some experience that Agencies are dumb and tend towards thinking solely of their relationship with the customer (that's not you, the contractor), whom they do not want to upset in any way.
You?, you are a mere spot, a smudge on their daily routines.
Agencies seldom understand their clients
Agencies very often like their contracts with the contractor to be hidden from prying eyes.
Agencies get paid 15/20% on the back of your work.
Agencies will happily send totally appropriate candidates for unsuitable interviews because hey, they don't have to foot the bill.
Agencies will tie you up in the most contorted language possible in their contracts. If you complain the common answer is "well we have hundreds of contractors who are happy" - never mind that they (the contractors) have not read the agreement (because a) it is illegible b) if they complain the agency goes to the next (none-complaining) candidate c) they make some other excuse.
Basically, agencies don't give a horses arse about the candidate and whether they are suitable for the client - just push them along and buyer beware!
As you may guess by now, I have absolutely no regard for Agencies. I have an almost equal disregard for clients, who should review agency contracts signed by contractors to ensure that the contractor is going to be a 'happy worker' - but more often than not, the client wants to distance themselves from the contractor.
So forgive me for feeling slightly cheesed-off with this self-rightious waffle by some guy who smooches around companies trying to fish for business (and yes, I appreciate that that is the hard part), but once you have landed a contractor in a contract, it is pretty much plain sailing, put your feet up and watch the £dosh role in.
NickW

fatrich

fatrich

your last comment is laughable free service it maybe you seem to have forgotten the vast amounts of profit you make off each candidate. Guessing as a recruitment consultant you are not working for £7.50 an hour? or paying for your own 30 minute break.
fatrich
2nd Nov 17 15:15

DanBosham

DanBosham

I have been working in construction for over 15 years and through agencies for 10, and have noticed a recent rise in certain agencies chancing it and exploiting younger temporary workers, who are usually inexperienced and fresh from safety training that they all have to fund themselves. In basic terms, if you have a CSCS card (site safety certification - the basic training to allow you onto construction sites, these agencies will take you on as a temp worker and endeavour to exploit you with the promise of wages slightly higher than national average, failing to mention all the inclusive fees, payroll companies and various taxations that are deducted from temp workers wages. It is a culture of deception that i have experienced throughout my ten years in temporary agency employment. That is the broader complaint i have about these agencies but that i assume is a moot point. Cases like these are difficult to pursue as we as temp workers have diminished rights in juxtaposition to full-time employees at established companies.
Today i turned up at a job procured by an employment agency, got sent home immediately as four other labourers were sent and turned away one by one. the job had been done by the tradesmen, and by all accounts it didn't even warrant the presence of ONE labourer, let alone five. Obviously nothing can be done to bring any justice but in a broader context, there needs to be more awareness of the tactics and loopholes agencies employ that are blatant exploitation, yet get away with it.
DanBosham

Harold

Harold

these agencies are a ripoff.They need some serious regulation.
Harold

VNC

VNC

I have been working with recruitment agencies for several years in my quest to find contract work and fully understand the business models they use.
This doesn't stop me from complaining about some of the underhanded techniques they use a classic example being the 'sole right to represent' sign up which effectively blocks the unsuspecting applicant off from using other routes even though that agent has not passed your application onto the client and doesn't intend to do so.
This is usually because they have lined up their 'favorite 3' and selfishly don't want to expose the risk of you being successful via another agency.

In these cases i have no sympathy for this greedy and unprofessional attitude towards people who are trying to make a living. you have your job ..they don't.
VNC
31st Jul 17 12:12

maggot

maggot

Typical recruitment consultant thinks they are all high and mighty. let me quote the law on people paying to find work through employment agencies, its against the law to charge people to find them work. so as for you saying we don,t charge you for finding people work come down of your high horse and learn the law and stop making up rubbish. all recruitment consultants should be locked up in prison with sex offenders because you aint any better than then.
maggot

LisaMJ

LisaMJ

Gosh you sound just like the pompous arrogant twat I dealt with at Adecco in Gloucestershire! I've been temping for several years and you are right, we don't pay you for helping us to find a job but that doesn't mean you can treat us any differently to someone who actually works though in my experience, they are treated even worse because you don't want to help someone who is already in work find a job, you want someone that you can snap your fingers and will come running, that you promise to call them back about a fantastic role that's right up our street but you never call back and leave us sat at home demoralised. Contrary to what I have seen on the ACAS website, recruitment agencies don't like it when you are registered with more than one agency. And thanks to the comment below, I now know why agencies don't send a p45 to the HMRC when a worker has left a role because you still get 'paid' for that worker and having spoken to HMRC, they still haven't received my p45 for a role I left a month ago and in fact, he said that it is par for the course and normal practise.

As to your salary, I'm doing a recruitment consultant course and you can earn anything up to £60,000 including bonuses.
LisaMJ

Anonymous!

Anonymous!

It is very frustrating and a big waste of time using agencies in form of application form. These form asks for everything that is already on our CV and we have to fill in all those details again on that particular application form, which is a waste of time. They already have possession of our CV so why waste time on such things. I think this is a complete stupidity on behalf on agencies and this should stop. Their application form and other paperwork which all relates to the information on CV wastes candidates' time by more than an hour, which could be used to apply for other job vacancies online.

I believe action should be taken regarding this use of duplicate application form. It is very idiotic of them.

And this "IM NOT A ROBOT" step is very stupid to keep clicking and selecting continuously. I have no idea why they are introducing such things on the internet. Where are robot in this world and why would they use computers and laptops. WEIRD PEOPLE!
Anonymous!

Addy

Addy

Your article is the typical views of an office shirt and tie, ass kissing, knob jockey. Your mother must be proud of you, picking a career in 'The Modern Day Slave Trade'.

1. You do charge us a fee. As you do not pay us anywhere near the full rate of pay that you receive for OUR labour, while YOU sit in an office drinking coffee all day whilst advertising how great your slave trade is.
2. Companies recruiting agency staff are given tax benefits depending on their usage throughout the working year. This is why companies pay agencies well over the minimum wage. Because they get it back through tax loopholes. Where as YOU only pay your slaves minimum wage with no overtime regardless of which shift pattern. This is why nobody can find full time vacancies outwith agency work.
3. Agencies are protected by the government because they are believed to be helping unemployment, when in actual fact they are adding to the problem. The reason there are so many agencies out there, is because there are so many jobs out there. WE just cant get to them because of the 'MODERN DAY SLAVE TRADE' that is agency work.
4. You work for US. If the slaves were to have an uprising. The economy would suffer and the Government would have to rethink there plan for the slave trade. Remember that, while you sit in your heated office, drinking coffee and looking down your shit stained nose at us.
5. You and your office knob jockeys are the scum of the fucking earth. Yous are the reason nobody wants to work in this country and yous are the reason Great Britain is no longer Great anymore. I'd live in the streets before I lined your pockets. You arrogant fucktard.
Addy
21st Feb 17 13:40

Sarah

Sarah

Are you Debbie Kaye from alexanderkaye.co.uk recruitment agency?

Whoever you are you sound worse with every post! I liked to say there are a lot more of us than there are of you lot - but I'm not sure - you're like fleas - popping up all over the place.
Sarah

Sarah

Sarah

We don't need enlightning - thanks. What makes us frustrated are arrogant, ill informed, little up their ass recruitment consultants like yourself. Bet you didn't study for four years to become a 'qualified' recruitment consultant! So don't pity us poor job hunters - we have useful skills that will outlast anything you can do. You will be unemployed one day.

I've been registered with almost every recruitment agency in Nottingham - those who call themselves 'specialists in financial recruitment' - they know nothing about finance - you can tell from the questions they ask!

In six months I had one temp contract - the agency taking their usual 45% cut. Accountants often see their own invoices!

Lets be proactive
Employers - advertise for staff yourselves - it really is not difficult.
Job hunters advertise yourselves.

Two weeks ago I put an 'employment wanted' ad on gumtree and had an overwhelming response and in the happy position of choosing who I want to work with!
Sarah