Why is lime and soda so expensive at the pub?

I recently went to meet my girlfriend at one of the Harvester restaurants, a pub called the Kings Arms at Gosford, near Kidlington.  It was one of those afternoons during the recent heat wave and I was pretty thirsty by the time I got there so I thought Id have a pint of lager shandy whilst I waited.

I went to the bar to order my drink and the bill came to 1.90.  I thought this was actually pretty reasonable because most pubs charge about the same as pint of lager, which these days is closer to 2.50 and I was expecting to pay between 2 and 2.50 for the shandy.

Looking forward to this refreshing cold drink on this hot sunny day I went outside and chose to sit in a shady spot in the beer garden with a good view of the car park so Id be able to see my better half when she arrived.  This particular Harvester restaurant is in a nice location and to be honest I was very much enjoying sitting there with a cold one watching the world go by, so much so that I had finished my drink before my partner had even arrived.

Harvester restaurants, A cool refreshing pint of lime cordial and sparking soda water After a brief conversation with her to find out where she was, I realised I still had at least another ten to fifteen minutes to wait.  As I was still rather thirsty I decided to go to the bar and get another drink.

I am currently self-employed and whilst I am not penniless, I do have to be careful how much I spend.  With this in mind and taking into account that what I really needed was a thirst quenching drink rather than an alcoholic one, I decided to buy a lime and soda water this time round.

This is my drink of choice when I visit a pub and I dont want to drink beer.  Firstly, because I cant drink the usual soft drinks such as Lemonade and Coca Cola in any quantity and secondly, lime and soda is usually a lot cheaper.  It is after all only fizzy water and lime cordial!

I ordered my drink and was about to take a sip.  The bartender meanwhile had been to the till to enter my drink.  When he came back over he said to me" That will be two pounds please."  I can tell you that I nearly choked on that drink there and then!

Not being the type who enjoys a good confrontation, I dont usually like to query bills at a restaurant etc.  I find those sorts of situations quite embarrassing and unless someone is really trying to take advantage of me I dont usually complain.  In fact, quite often I probably wouldnt even notice.

I do feel however that on this occasion I should have said something.  I suspect though that the answer I got would have been along the lines of "Thats how much it is Im afraid."  Anyway, I paid up and I shut up, but Ive been seething about this ever since.

How can a pint of cordial and carbonated water cost more than a pint of lager and lemonade?  These pub chains shouldnt be allowed to get away with this kind of daylight robbery! I won't be visiting any other Harvester restaurants any time soon.

Laura

Laura

£5.25!!!!! For a pint of lime and soda!
Laura

Bertie

Bertie

Most I’ve paid for a pint of lime and soda was £3.50 in an Indian Restaurant in Boroughbridge, least was 30p in the Ibis hotel at Birmingham airport. 2018/2019. Whilst I understand they are supplying the glass, surroundings and service I think £2 is on the high side and any more is a total rip off especially if you’re eating at the establishment too.
Bertie

Hiccup

Hiccup

I paid £2.19 in Prezzo yesterday!
Hiccup

Debs

Debs

I have had a few soda and limes just recently as been back up car for a charity bike ride. The drinks have been between £2 /£ 3.20. Absolutely disgusting. What a rip off.
Debs

Angelacommenting!

Angelacommenting!

And what is very scary is that £2 odd is actually not a bad price for a pint of lime & soda - that is what is so shocking! It is indeed ludicrous that a dash of cordial and tap water made slightly fizzy should cost so much on occasion - and over the many years, I have been charged from nothing/zilch, right up to I think it was about £4.20 (although to be slightly fair, after discussion about this astronomical amount I was being charged, I discovered that the high price was because the gastro-restaurant-bar in the City of London was using the little mixer bottles of Soda water - they didn't have it coming-out-of-one-of-those-squirty-dispenser-thingamijiggys). Anyway, all-in-all, over the years, I have been both utterly outraged and on occasion pleasantly surprised many a time upon hearing the price I am going to be charged for a lime & soda. I think the real thing to do therefore is start saving my teeth as well, and order a half of lime & TAP WATER with NO ice!!!!!! This is when the real price will show up = 70p for a dash of cordial, for example, when the cordial is the Savers bottle from Tescoes decanted into the fancy crystal decanter is a wee tad extortionate. Although....... to be fair....... we are also paying to sit in a seat (hopefully) in the pub. Hey-ho..... life will continue. But I totally agree - we should all put our footsies down and say "No-way-Jose!" to astronomical charges. Cheers everyone!
Angelacommenting!

Cressy

Cressy

Rip off. Went to Peakcock inn in Bakewell, Derbyshire and was charged £3.00 a pint. Go into any Wetherspoons and it's 40p for the lime and the soda is free.
Cressy

Scanners

Scanners

I have just been charged £4.20 for a pint of lime and soda in a restaurant near Rochdale, a pint of Estrella lager cost £3.80. Outrageous and no explanation can justify such a price.
Scanners

Kay

Kay

25p per shot of cordial in our pub in a pint you use 6 shots so a pint of lime and soda would be £1 if you had lemonade and soda pint of it would be 1.95 and that's a marstons pub
Kay

Cheeky Ali

Cheeky Ali

Last night I paid £6.30 for two lemonade and limes . Could not believe it. It was a Marston pub in Newbury.
Cheeky Ali

JMP

JMP

I have just paid £7 for two pints of lime and lemonade at Wainstones Hotel near Middlesbrough!! Are they made of money up here? It's a disgrace that pubs can charge so much for pop!
We were going to eat here, but shan't be now !
JMP

ministrider

ministrider

We went out for a curry. My friend had a campari and lemonade. £1.80.my soda and lime £2.50. Where is the logic
ministrider

loz

loz

We charge £1.70 for a pint of fresh lime and soda. £2.00 for a pot of tea. Nobody complains about the latter. But i'd hazard a guess that the cost price of a lime and soda is more?
loz

collar

collar

Collar say, why waste one's hard-earned on nasty alcohol liver all a-rot. I met my partner in a bar (not a rowdy beer-house, but a pleasant hotel- room type scenario), I used to love noisy bars, does that make me alcohol dependant as well? I am also a former smoker, and we both loved to spend time doing what we like out at our favorite bars, but we aren't up to bad stuff. Not all people who use public bars frequently are like Harvesters, I think over-charged you have been . I hope you have some more of the England's delicious Lager and lime (sans the lager!), Your liver will thank you as will your stomach your wallet mostly of all - Bon Apetite!
collar

chrisk1892

chrisk1892

Try a Weatherspoons they only charge for the shots of lime cordial @ 30p so you can have a small glass at this price or a pint for 60p. They even put ice and a straw in the glass for you! I'm also a real ale fan and the Harvesters do not sell proper beer and the food's not as good as it used to be either!
chrisk1892

collar

collar

They tend to always use the dear stuff. I can believe when they buy the first bottle they do, I have worked for a pub chain 26 years ago. When I was on leave I went to another pub chain and asked them, they said no they don't do that anymore. Hmmm. the job centre or whatever it's called these days don't advertise for this type of job just minimum wage moron's work. my brother went for a drink the other day and they were really unhelpful and refused to search for different flavour potato-chips.

There doesn't seem to be any respect anymore.
collar