Why is corned beef so expensive these days?

My gripe is all about the current price of corned beef.  It's no longer a cheap alternative to nice ham or chicken, ideal for sandwiches and the odd hot pot meal.  It's actually more of a luxury these days in my opinion.  I haven't bought corned beef for a while and I thought it would make a nice change.  I vaguely remember a few years ago in our supermarket they were selling one of the cheaper brands for around 89p a tin and some of the shops more recently were selling it at £1.20 and £1.50 for a tin.

I visited the Sainsbury's website yesterday and I was doing my monthly shopping in their groceries section section.  I typed 'corned beef' into the search box and when the results came up on the screen I could not believe my eyes.

For 3 measly slices of Sainsbury's fresh corned beef 125 grams the price was a whopping £2.00!  I assumed that the tinned corned beef would be much cheaper, but it was still £2.29 for 340 grams.  How can they justify charging so much for a tin of processed beef?  I would have thought that the most a tin should cost would be around £1.80, and the most I would consider paying for 3 slices of fresh packed premium corned beef would be is £1.40 or £1.50.

A tin of corned beef at a Tesco supermarket Corned Beef - only bought as an occasional treat

As I said, it is so expensive now I can see it only being bought as an occasional treat, not something I would buy all the time because it is too dear for what it is.  I can imagine the price will go up even more in the future, after all the price of everything else is going up though the roof right now.  Presumably as people (like myself) stop buying it making it even more expensive.  What have things come to when you can't get a tin of corned beef for under £2 - it's a joke!

Note from Site Admin: When I was out shopping I took some photos to go with this gripe and as you can these tins are a little cheaper in our Tesco, in fact the value brand £1.98 I believe.

By: Luke S

The King

The King

A really cheap dinner used to be the corned beef hash. Sliced potato, onion and corned beef layered in a casserole dish, pour in some beef stock then bake. Buying beef is almost the same price now.
The King

Marty

Marty

Couldn't agree more. It's preposterous. The prices of both tinned corned beef and tinned tuna appearing to be rising towards that of caviar. What was once poor man's fodder now seems to have achieved Lord of ther Manor status.
Marty

will

will

I fully agree. Corned beef was once a poormans sunday dinner meat and now it rediculously expensive.
will

NZpommy

NZpommy

You think £2 is expensive? ? I've just paid $10 for a small tin! I live in NZ and it's soo expensive over here. I'm pregnant and have been craving it! Would not think twice at paying £2! But I do remember the days it was 89p in home bargains
NZpommy

Lidman

Lidman

It most certainly is. As far as Syria is concerned, they have their work cut out for them.
Lidman

Shandy

[Lidman] is it food speculation? 'you must be in the know'. Are banks betting on food prices in unregulated financial markets?. I presumed it is all down to oil costs in the middle east and the mark up they are passing on to us. Whats happened with Syria - 'no oil'-no money -no monetary value.

Lidman

Lidman

It's not only chocolate that's expensive now. Many things that we eat are much more expensive than they were a few months ago.

Why?

Because of food speculation. Banks are earning huge profits from betting on food prices in unregulated financial markets. The World Development Movement website has a lot of information about this
Lidman

No Man's Land

No Man's Land

Why are Mars Bars so horrendously expensive in France? They sell there for about twice the price we buy them here, and it's not just transport costs. France has always been traditionally expensive for confectionery. The French pay too much for sweets.

We will now have to pay too much for corned beef.

Land of my Fathers: the green and rolling lands of Patagonia and the Pampas.
No Man's Land

To-Get rid of the Falklands, [good question]
I would presume there are other manufacturers of corned beef other than Fray Bentos. The possibility is that Fray Bentos are selling their product under different brand names and selling their product at a more competitive price at smaller retail outlets. The majority of well known manufacturers/companies/organisations sell the same product under a different brand name.
1st Mar 12 21:07

shandy

shandy

Kenny have you tried making pasties with the same recipe plus frozen puff pastry. Try it they are delicious. Pour over gravy [using a beef stock cube] and serve with mushy peas [marrow fat peas of course-soaking them over night] cook the peas in the water with 2 chicken stock cubes and a little oil. We find this seasoning suits most people 'you will end up with a large pan full'. Any surplus peas can be used the next day by adding ham, water and season to taste 'what a lovely pea and ham soup' served with crusty bread. When it comes to cooking we are very cost effective and never throw anything away .Any left overs will come around again in a different form. Trust this may help your viewers to save some money on basic home cooking.
shandy

Shandy

Fuel costs are ever increasing due to the problems in the middle east [oil] therefore food costs are on the increase due to transportation, this cost is affecting corned beef along with other food products. You can still make a good hearty meal for your husband, children and elderly parents. [corned beef hash] Method:-1 tin of corned beef, potatoes, onion, tin of carrots a beef stock cube and salt and pepper. Not forgetting the water. If never tried it, you will be pleasantly surprised with the taste and the cost. Delicious meal and cost effective. [you can always put a crust on it to bulk it up for the men in the family]

Shandy

Can we not mention Lidl or Aldi regarding the competative price of corned beef they stock, my comment has just been wiped off the screen

Shandy

Try Lidl or Aldi corned beef is under £1.50 per tin and is as good a quality as the well known brands along with other basic foods.

CornedBeef

CornedBeef

Fortunately I don't like corned beef.
CornedBeef

I need new knickers.

I need new knickers.

@itsnotrightisit........No its not right but they don,t care ....the profits go to those rich huggers the shareholders...
I need new knickers.