Too much football and sport on television

Most days when I get home from work I prepare a meal and then turn on the television to catch up on the latest news headlines.  Unfortunately though, there is too much emphasis on sport on the news and TV in general these days, so much so that it sometimes seems to be taking over!

Instead of current affairs, you get the latest football news.  Man United scored these goals and Arsenal did this.  Not really the most important thing going on in the world today!!

It's an obsession in this country

I'm sick and tired of the obsession in this country with sports news and in particular football and rugby.  I don't have anything against sport and think that on the whole it is a positive thing; not only for the health benefits if you participate, but it can also be useful for developing effective teamwork skills.

Football news not what we want My main gripe is really with the amount of time dedicated sports news in the media.  It's fine if they provide an update of the English premiership results at the end of the main news, you can just switch off when it starts and at least you have a choice.  What I do find infuriating however, is when the news bulletin starts off with some form of sporting drama.

Who cares if a football club sells a player for an extortionate amount of money, or that Australia kicked England's butt in the cricket again. This isn't newsworthy!  It's sport and as such should be scheduled with other sport related programming.

I think that real news should be shown first because our economy, politics, health and education etc. involve everyone; football on the other hand, is a recreational activity that is not appreciated universally.

Right, I'm off to watch the Grand Prix now, because it's time for my nap and I've had enough of all this bloody football news!!

Muppet

Muppet

I have also noticed that lately, it is either sport ,sport ,sport & more sport and the other programmes are either old ones or so boring they are not fit to watch
Muppet

Mup

Mup

The BBC is showing too much football on TV either that or repeats of repeats of repeats, yawn! Programmes being moved to make way for football. Maybe time for the BBC to devote one channel to sport & let us NONE footballers enjoy our programmes when they are scheduled to be shown.
Mup

lane

lane

I am tired of so much sport on TV, and yes I hear you say it-I do switch it off. The athletics are just not interesting me and I can't see why summer TV is so poor. It is just lazy and money saving for the Beeb and other companies.
I don't mind sport just don't enjoy watching it on TV. I don't watch much mainstream TV anyway but sometimes like to sit down and watch the odd thing in the evening. Thankfully there is netflix, or a good book, or anything but football, athletics etc etc.........
lane

Max

Max

Football is more and more at the top.of news it is reported in infinite detail and for more and more longer time.There is far more important news in the world.Why it that programmers believe that the whole of the UK are fans.We are not all obsessed with football.Ir has reached saturation point.report it for the fans yes just don't bury us all with it.
Max

vitwi

vitwi

Is no thought given to non football fans no decent alternative programs just repeats or trash.
vitwi

WhySport?

WhySport?

Sport is boring! Why watch it all the time
WhySport?

Notimpressed

Notimpressed

I don't think there is an obsession most people in the country don't like watching sport the programmers have got it wrong and if people don't complain they are going to keep on bombarding us with this mindless detritus. sport is only interesting if you are doing it, just watching it is mostly just boring and lazy broadcasting there should be dedicated channels for all sport it should never interfere with normal television programming it is unfair on the majority of viewers. There was at least 6 hours of rugby on Saturday night what kind of mindless sheep do they think we are who cares about it, not a majority of women im sure or a lot of men. world cups who really cares anymore , it's all borering some men and a ball, big deal, talk about duming down,
Notimpressed

Swarez

Swarez

Hello Freddie, Nice of you to stick your trunk in. Tell you what, Iv'e got a few handlebar clip on's that will suite you a treat, and if you happen to wear one of those P/Pot hats, Iv'e got one for that too. They should complete the imbecile look nicely.
Swarez

Freddie

Freddie

troll alert.............Swarez is a WUM. Don't take the bait!

He's also a bit thick because it is 'ua' not 'w'.
Freddie

Swarez

Swarez

W/taxed, Yes Iam deeply ashamed and have trouble sleeping. I must mend my ways, and as an apology, would you let me offer you a box of twenty four seconds for half my usual price.
Swarez

Working and taxed.

Working and taxed.

It is worse than shameful - It is profiteering from other peoples misery - I fancy you retailed those glorious emblems as new products. Trading standards ought take you to task. You are a bounder sir!
Working and taxed.

Swarez

Swarez

Shameful, Unpatriotic,? You were most probably one of the morons that voted in a party that let all the "foreigners" in, in the first place. You need to take a good look in a mirror before slagging off others.
Swarez

Working and taxed.

Working and taxed.

How shameful - that is unpatriotic, you are probably a foreign.
Working and taxed.

Saraez

Saraez

The interest in football should take a nose dive after England looses tomorrows game. I made a small fortune after the last world cup, I collected all those England flags that were thrown out of car windows in disgust and sold them back to the same people this time. They were in good condition cause they weren't used that long, just like the team.
Saraez

marmalade

marmalade

The bible perhaps? Even better make love.
marmalade