Too many adverts on TV and radio

I don’t have a TV and there is a very good reason for that.  Apart from the mindless dribble that one has to endure and the prohibitive cost of the television license, there appears to be an endless stream of adverts to contend with these days!  I understand that television programming has to be paid for somehow, but must we endure nearly half a dozen advert sequences in every TV show.

I happened to spend some time watching television over the Christmas holidays.  One show that we watched was called CSI (crime scene investigation) or something along those lines.  Anyway, the programme was only about three quarters of an hour in length and just as I was getting into it, there would be YET ANOTHER commercial break.

It’s extremely irritating, especially as it’s the same adverts again and again!  Why do we have to have a commercial break every ten minutes?  Surely just once or twice would have been enough.  TV commercials are okay in small doses, but it’s really something else when the adverts are almost as long as the show itself!

Car radio, too many adverts on the radio Adverts on the radio really grate on my nerves as well.  I often listen to the local stations for traffic reports and a bit of music on the way to work in the morning.  Unfortunately, you have to put up with these stupid jingles and adverts that seem to be even more frequent than TV ads! around.

Also, there seems to be a lot less variety with the radio adverts; it’s the same one again and again.  I have heard this particular Freelander Disovery advert so many times that I can almost recite it word for word!  Add to this the complete tripe that some of the morning DJ’s spout out, it’s really no wonder than a lot of people switch off and play a CD instead.

Jack60

Jack60

Too many ad breaks and too long, thank goodness for the mute button. I no longer listen to radio in the car just CDs then at least I can listen to what I want.
Jack60

Pet

Pet

I couldn't agree more, adverts are a complete waste of time. If I want something I will go out and buy it, I don't need it shoved down my throat by some mindless moron or inane advert. It's about time we said enough is enough and fight back to get the adverts reverted back to just a couple of minutes per show
Pet

murphy

murphy

We are completely overloaded with adverts on TV sick of it every 5mins .
murphy
23rd Jun 18 20:16

grumpyoldwoman

grumpyoldwoman

Martin, we always record everything and just whizz through the adverts, but of course, there's always the other slightly less legal way........

Both cheaper than buying dvds!
grumpyoldwoman

Martin

Martin

Couldn't agree more, I now buy films and series like CIS on DVD, and watch them full length and without adverts. Expensive I know, but worth every penny not to have them interrupted.
Martin

The equaliser

The equaliser

This morning program is the biggest culprits. They started all this crap telling viewers how much you can win . even ten minutes. Phil and Holly being used like puppets.they get on are nerves.! So let's make their lives a misery. I want all you thousands of people to bombard this morning with letters every week telling them we won't stop until you stop.
The equaliser

Carol

Carol

With my work commitment I have limited time to watch TV , when I get the opportunity to be able to sit and watch a movie until the end due to endless adverts being broad casting , a total of 10 ads running consecutively in every break. I understand broadcasting has be paid for but this quantity must be profit based with no option for the viewer to opt out. I am sick fed up watching sales of goods being rammed down our throats it's as bad as cold calling telesales. The law should be no more than 4 consecutive ads per broadcast.
Carol

Jim

Jim

Endless adverts on TV. Endless drivel from so called commentators.why should we pay to watch adverts that TV companies have already been paid by product makers. To me they are counter productive anyway. Everybody I know avoids these advertised products on principle!
Jim

Cheesed Off

Cheesed Off

Its getting way out hand, the other day I was watching the Gold channel and timed 7 minutes of commercials before Only fools started started. I just switched it of which I find my self doing allot these day. Even the adverts are crap, all about unhealthy stuff to drink or eat or bingo or betting wed sites.
Do what I do, download the odd movie or catch up on the online players.
I also will not be renewing my TV license.
Cheesed Off

John Pick

John Pick

How I agree, far too much so called background music. Most of it isn't music at all, just random piano chords. I find this totally annoying and cannot watch the program. PLEASE is there a control on the TV where I can minimise this dreadful noise. I am no techie so make it simple if it's possible.
John Pick

scandinavian axeman

scandinavian axeman

Watch the soaps? Are you kidding? The biggest load of trash on tv only suitable for mindless addicts with nothing better to do.
scandinavian axeman

soap watcher

soap watcher

just watch the soaps then , you still get adverts but you are not having a good film ruined then, or stay with bbc
soap watcher

Oi

Oi

Well agreed re ITV and adverts, but destroying shows? Their shows are below the gutter with endless detritus and dross, repeated rolling out the same tired formula = public love celebrities in ANYTHING.

Only one thing is going to stop all this utter crap. Don't watch. Come on people, do your IQ a big favour and stop watching all this complete waste of airtime.
Then the advertisers/sponsors won't make any money.

That's what it has to take.
Oi

RUBBISH ADS

RUBBISH ADS

I AM SICK TO DEATH OF ITV DESTROYING SHOWS BY SHOVING ADVERTS ON US EVERY 6 TO 10 MINS.
RUBBISH ADS
23rd Jun 13 21:51

cyberkaren

cyberkaren

I think a lot could be done if advertisers were willing to change. They could shorten the commercials for one thing. They could also try having them either at the beginning or the end of each program. They really should try something new because they are losing more viewers each year. Personally, I'd rather go online. I just don't have the patience anymore. Being constantly interrupted and distracted by long commercials eventually makes it too difficult to stay focused.
cyberkaren