Renting with greedy landlords and letting agents

Wealthy people who buy up houses to let and their treacherous minions the letting agents that bleed their tenants dry make me sick.  Such a despicable example of pure greed and what is the government doing about it?  As usual, absolutely nothing! "There you go, of course you can buy as many houses as you like, and don’t forget to rent them out for as much as you can get so your tenants can cover you’re mortgage."

I really hate way the housing market works these days.  It's very polarised, designed to make the rich richer and the poor poorer!  There is a real shortage of 'affordable housing' in this country now that the property market has gone nuts and house prices have gone through the roof.  The only real option for some of us is to rent, and unless you’re a single teenage mother or an asylum seeker, renting a council house is pretty much out of the question.  So what else do you do?  You rent a house privately of course and that leaves you at the mercy of unscrupulous landlords and their letting agents.

House Rent, Letting Agent It really grates on me that there is no such thing as fair and reasonable rent.  Landlords are always hiking up the price to get as much money as they can, squeezing tenants for every last penny.  It’s just ridiculous, particularly here in the South East where we live together like sardines.  Some private landlords that rent the house themselves are okay.  I have had good experiences as well as bad.  So many of them however, are just out to get you to pay their mortgages on their second home.  If these people hadn’t bought up all the houses there might be a few left that the rest of us could afford!

When it comes to renting a house, another thing I hate is inspection day.  The letting agency that I rent through at the moment, insist on inspecting the property every six months even though I’ve been there for nearly two and a half years and have always looked after the property!  I have nothing to hide and I am clean and tidy etc., but I just don’t like the thought of these people wandering in when I’m at work (they don’t do inspections at weekend) and nosing around.  It feels almost… degrading.

Mr Angst

Mr Angst

I could not agree more. I became a "reluctant landlord" for one year, when my dear mother passed away ten years ago, letting the house to the woman and her family next door.

I then saw, and realised, what it was to be on the other side of the ladder. I have two daughters, one 23, one 19. They have no chance at the moment of getting on the ladder, and yet we live in a mortgage-free house worth almost £600,000.

It stinks. If anyone wants to "buy-to-let" they should be limited to 3 houses maximum, but I know some who have dozens. Greed isn't the word for them. Evil is. They screw the vulnerable and get whatever they can. It stinks in my view.

Let's hope something happens, because I happen to want my two daughters to be able to afford to get on the ladder.

Unless I and my wife snuff it, they won't be able to.

What a state of affairs.
Mr Angst

screwtheyoung

screwtheyoung

buy-to-let has and is continuing to screw the young. There's a coming war between the generations. The NHS is the other big problem.
screwtheyoung

David

David

Nonesense! I cannot see what you are complaining about! Here in Oxford prices are a bargain and cheap...you can get a huge double bedroom, about 1.2 x 1m for perhaps only £750 per month + bills in a house made for 3 people with about 8 renters (or more)....and one hob for all 8...and a small fridge for all 8. And they are snapped up so quickly. I think the letting agent will take down your offer if you them them spit in your face.....what more could you want?
David

Bulldog

Bulldog

Ah we'll
Don't vote David in - he's done nothing for people who needs houses !
But will local after his rich Chinese mates !
Bulldog
21st May 14 20:26

Eastendgurl2000

Eastendgurl2000

Like it or not, rental properties are an essential factor that many people rely on.
There are many circumstances where we all need rental properties at one time or another.
Eastendgurl2000
1st Dec 13 23:22

Nick

Nick

Don't forget - the lawmakers are also landlords. So don't expect things to change because they won't.
Nick
23rd Oct 13 09:58

Mylandlordsanarsehole

Mylandlordsanarsehole

Landlords should be grateful they're getting our money for they're poxy houses!
Mylandlordsanarsehole
23rd Oct 13 00:03

hairyfairy

hairyfairy

I would never want to live in private rented accommodation, because most private landlords are greedy, uncaring scum that just want the rent money while tenants live in squalor.
hairyfairy

Henry the Lion

Henry the Lion

Beach-Sun-River - I can generalise like that because the fact is that it's generally true. I've rented for a long time and been a commendable tenant by all accounts. And yet buy-to-let landlords are by and large parasites.

Pity the government doesn't see fit to build modestly prices houses so that most of the parasites cease having tenants buying them second homes.
Henry the Lion

Vicky

Vicky

Landlords are not only greedy renting out their shoddy unkept houses to us for ridiculous prices, they also like to tell us how to live in them aswell. No hanging pictures, u must get rid of your much loved like part of the family dog to rent my house etc. That's if they will even rent to you in the first place. Surfing on rightmove the other day I came across a property where the landlord had stated - no dss, no pets, no smokers, no children and no vans? Who the hell does he want to let this propery? Absolutely ridiculous. I would love to buy a house but cannot afford to, do instead have to put up with renting. Something should be done about all this. David Cameron wants to pull his finger out.
Vicky

feelikeapeasant

feelikeapeasant

Having lived in my privately rented house for 7 years I found out my Landlord hasnt been paying his mortgage for the last 5+ months. Maybe he has money problems I thought. Yes must cost a lot to keep several horses and a swimming pool in pristine condition. I never failed to pay the rent so slinging us out just before Christmas I find heartless. Don't want anyone to tell me I don't know their financial situation because if they were struggling, my rent more than covered their Buy to Let Mortgage and they had a choice, evict a family before Christmas or go on their Dressage Tournaments. To top it all we cant rent another house as my Partner doesnt earn over 30k. Greedy Landlords indeed!
feelikeapeasant

Beach-Sun-River

Beach-Sun-River

Henry the Lion.

You cannot generalise like that. You're reading too much of Athair Siochains posts and blided by foolishness. People take on rental properties for many reasons.
Don't be so narrow minded. Read my post below and learn a thing or two about real life chum.
Beach-Sun-River

Beach-Sun-River

Beach-Sun-River

I personally think it's great that investors buy properties to rent out. The thing that Athair Siochan never seems to understand is the FACT that rental properties are a necessity and many people rely heavily on them. I`ll give you some examples.
1. People that have sold their house and looking around to buy another.
2. People that constantly get relocated for work for months at a time
3. People want to "Try before they Buy" in a new area
4. People renovating, or rebuilding due to damage

All 4 cases above rely on the existence of rental properties. I myself have been forced to work interstate on many occasions and have had no other choice to rent my home out whilst renting another. It's the only way I could do it. I didn't want to sell my home because I knew I wanted to go back one day.

So according to Athair Siochian, this makes me a landlord which makes me the most evil thing on the earths surface. I think this highlights what an idiot Athair Siochain is.

Regards

Beach-Sun-River.
Beach-Sun-River

Henry the Lion

Henry the Lion

Anyone who takes on a Buy To Let property is a PARASITE, simple as that.
Henry the Lion

nice-innit

nice-innit

Every time a block of flats are built in our area they are snapped up by the
buy to let spivs, it is very rare for anyone to purchase a flat for themselves to live in.
If food and clothing etc was subjected to the same "market forces economy" there would be an uproar.
So why do we accept this behaviour?
Who introduced buy to let mortgages? also known as
I will buy a house and let some mug pay for it.
nice-innit