Men who leave their shirt unbuttoned

Is there an uglier male fashion than a smart suit worn with an unbuttoned shirt and no tie?  Almost invariably displayed on television nowadays by politicians and newscasters attempting to look "cool and with it", the actual result is that we are obliged to stare at several inches of pallid neck, bobbing Adam's apple and sparsely haired chest - thus distracting us from the seriousness of the news story.

this style of undress has largely become the habit of middle aged men...

It's noticeable that this style of undress has largely become the habit of middle aged men (John Prescott is now doing it - heaven help us!).  It can't be long, therefore, before style-conscious younger men switch to something more becoming than a smart suit and an unbuttoned shirt.

Men should button up their shirt and wear a tie May I suggest two alternatives to this scruffy fashion?  Try the Nehru Jacket which was very popular in the 70's this style of jacket is actually based on the Indian sherwani apparently (see Wikipedia.  It's smart, attractive and colourful, not to mention the fact that the high collar covers up those nasty double chins and unattractive wobbly throats perfectly!

Alternatively, how about the exquisitely-tied cravats worn by those 18th-Century dandies?  At any rate though, lets loose the scruffy unbuttoned shirt thing and let's bring tasteful good looks back to our television screens!

By: Oracle2007

Dave

Dave

I have to wear a shirt and tie to work every day I have never fastened my top button since I was at school I just do up my tie top button undone slide the knot up just below the top button and it stays that way and I do not know of any boss who would confront that
Dave

Stephen

Stephen

How many men on here leave their top-button undone when wearing a tie in the office?
Stephen

www.lewistaylorshirts.com

www.lewistaylorshirts.com

sometimes a collar shape is better suited to being worn tieless
www.lewistaylorshirts.com
23rd Dec 12 21:25

Jethro

Jethro

Tie Right, Your'e using the wrong hitch, in your case it should be a RING BEND(er)
Jethro

Tie Right

Using my tie to hold my strides up of late. I am in a bit of a quandery as to what knot to use, a mincing bowline seems to work well in the office.

How Loose (the real one)

How Loose (the real one)

Tie Right, do you still check in? How are you faring in this hot weather? Hope you are going to work with a looser tie.
How Loose (the real one)
23rd Jul 12 09:56

How Loose

How Loose

You do not say why you had to do up your dress after lunch. Did you pull your strides down? Ask your GP to change your tablets because the temptation to loose of may be a reaction to medication. As for wearing a dress in the office I am not sure. But Oscar did say he could resist anything bar temptation. So go for it, if you are still in heat
How Loose

Tie Right

Indeed. I was feeling the heat a bit today but kept the tie high while in the office, as it is what I'm used to. I did keep the top button undone this morning, but after lunch needed to do it up. I pulled my tie down and undid the collar on the way home. The temptation to loosen off may be greater tomorrow if it's still warm, but the office dress-code was still very smart today. So do you have any tips on going 'obviously' looser with the tie in an office where pristine is the norm? And have you loosened off more today - if so how loose?

How Loose (the real one)

How Loose (the real one)

Site hacked, Tie Right, shame really. Jealousy abounds.
How Loose (the real one)

How Loose

How Loose

Tie Right I have bought one of those ties with the Windsor knot attached to a length of knicker elastic. In the summer I tie a weight to my tie, then I remove it or put it back as the case may be. Different weights different knot level its really cool. I also painted a button on my adams apple so even if my tie is untied it still looks tied.
How Loose

Tie Right

How Loose - I nudged my tie down a tad more on the way in and out of work, so it is just obvious the top button is undone. Definitely cooler but just about smart enough. In the office I've tried to just pull the tie up a bit more so I still look smart. On occasions I've done up my top button for meetings with the boss as the undone collar seems to be against the office dresscode - plenty of tight ties and collars even with the hints of summer. If the mercury rises much more I'll possibly try to have the tie a touch looser in the office. How about you? Do you loosen off more - and how far - in the warmer weather? Any tips on going 'obviously' looser with the tie in a place where pristine is the norm?

Tie Right

Its as well I have had my chest & armpits waxed, it would be horrendous if ones body hair got caught in the blades because it spins at a merry rate of knots.

How loose

How loose

Yeah, right. Hmm.. bow-tie? Nope, not you!
How loose

Tie Right

I have invested in a spinning bow-tie from Whiskers Animal Benevolent League, It keeps me cool on the train.

How loose

How loose

So, what's the plan travelling to/from work - at work - in the evenings?
How loose