Men - do you hate having to shave every day?

Every morning I take a shower and like most guys we tend to shave in the shower.  Its just more convenient than standing at the sink later on to do this.  So I get out the shaving gel and the razor blade and begin to shave after first of all giving my face a really good soaking with plenty of warm water.  As Im sure you boys know this helps to soften the bristles and helps the blade make a clean cut.

Blades that end up becoming blunt after three days

However, more often than not I will finish the shave with a 'nick' or two or sometimes three.  This is normally due to blades that end up becoming blunt after around three days of use.  Or even more incredibly its because i have had to change my brand of shaving gel!

To get a very close comfortable shave one really needs a new blade every day.  But the cost of blades are one of the most extortionate outrageous 'rip offs' one can imagine.  Four measly blades for around 6.95!  Theyve got us good and proper because lets face it, a lot of people prefer to shave every day.

Shaving woes, a razor on a shower tray As far as electric shavers are concerned -forget it.  They are completely hopeless when it comes to a close shave.  Ive tried all kinds of electric shavers, from the foil type to the rotary head and none of them give as close a shave as a wet shave.

More often than not when I started with an electric shaver I would end up having to finish with a disposable razor, just to get that really close shave.

Why dont we all just grow a beard and be done with it.  This would save so much angst!

By: Skeptic Phil

Mr Rupert

Mr Rupert

Payless is right. If you tap the razor head on a towel after washing it then it will last ages. I just used a new disposable this morning - the previous one lasted 3 weeks. I buy Bic Sensitive, pack of 4, cheap and effective (ie that's a 3 month supply for less than £3). Can't see why guys pay £12-£18 for those Mach types and half the time you can't get refills, or they only fit a certain type. Rip off.
Mr Rupert
22nd Mar 13 10:14

boblet

boblet

Do you come from Yorkshire? Payless. I have had to add a bit
boblet
21st Mar 13 18:10

Payless

Payless

Shaving gels and soaps are a waste of money, too. Just get a shaving brush and wet the ordinary facial soap before applying it to our beard.
Payless
21st Mar 13 15:21

Payless

Payless

If you dry the razor carefully after use it will prolong its life considerably. Apparently, it is the rust that accumulates along the blade edge that makes it blunt. I have been using the same razor for three weeks now since starting this technique, and it is still as sharp as the first day.
After use, I dab it dry, then use a cotton wool bud to remove all the hair and damp, then blow on it to dry it completely. Works a treat and saves a fair bit of expense.
Payless
21st Mar 13 15:19

DSG

DSG

Actually,I've already taken to growing a beard. I have better things to spend my money on than razor blades [things such as a KFC Godfather Box Meal].
DSG

Boblet

Boblet

Dont buy cheap Chinese blades that is my advice. If I dont shave my shirt collors wear out.
Boblet

Jon

Jon

Shaving is a pain the the a***. Why not grow a beard instead?
Jon

mardi gras the candyman can

mardi gras the candyman can

if your too poor to shave then why not grow a viking beard.
mardi gras the candyman can

dizzi bird

dizzi bird

Hi Skeptic Phil,
Have you ever considered laser hair removal? It may be expensive but would eliminate all of your problems and you would save in the long run on razors.
dizzi bird
21st Apr 10 20:05

anne

anne

Iv`e always thought that men get a better deal from nature than women, but I would hate to have to drag a razor across my face every morning, when I`m still half -asleep.
anne

hehe

hehe

electric rocks electric rocks electric rocks electric rocks electric rocks electric rocks electric rocks electric rocks electric rocks electric rocks electric rocks electric rocks electric rocks electric rocks electric rocks electric rocks electric rocks electric rocks electric rocks electric rocks electric rocks electric rocks electric rocks electric rocks electric rocks electric rocks electric rocks electric rocks electric rocks electric rocks electric rocks
hehe

Gainsborough lad.

Gainsborough lad.

I have always kept my old "handles" and this year, one of those discount shops was selling discontinued "five blade wilkinson sword cassettes" for a £1-00, (twin blades)

I got myself about five years supply now in my bathroom cabinet, yes I shave in the shower as well, and I find that when the blade gets clogged up, a few downward taps on the window ledge with the blade clears the stubble crud out of the blade, (this only works whilst blade is wet)

Shaving every other day gets the best results,(and first thing in the morning) I found that the five pack tripple blades by "lazertech" from poundland are good value, (sorry for the advert) but you have to buy the handles seperate (with a couple of complimentary blades), the only downside with these, is that the handles drop to bits if dropped on the floor.
Gainsborough lad.

Bukowski

Bukowski

Shaving is a pain in the a**e but I've always thought that if you don't then it looks like you haven't showered/washed. Gillette sensor 3 are pretty good and do seem to last but as with most blades are expensive. Clinique shave gel or cream are great, once again expensive but they last ages....
Bukowski
31st Oct 09 15:57

TimDQ

TimDQ

Do manufcturers use blunting agents in their shaving cream/gel..?
TimDQ

Rob

Rob

Why not try DE - double edge blades? Cheap as ($2 for 5 blades), far sharper, and a razor to put them in will last a lifetime and cost around 20 quid.

Some decent shaving creams are really cheap and nicer to use too. I'm saving a fortune andenjoying it too.

Check out Badger and Blade.com. It's another world and blow a rsapberry at Big Razor
Rob