Christmas is all about spending money

Is it just me or is anyone else fed up with the insanity that seems to grip the nation from November until early January?  Houses with more lights on them then a Las Vegas casino, less than well known stars on TV touting the latest food, gadget or Christmas must have.  Parents are hassled into spending huge sums of money on presents for their kids and it all seems very far removed from the idea of celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ.

I'm not a getting on my high horse here and I'm not an overly religious person, but it seems like the whole thing has been stolen, repackaged and sold back to us as a festival of eating, dinking and spending too much.  Aren't we forgetting the original Christmas message?

I work with people who are Muslims and they say they decorate the house with a tree and tinsel and buy presents for their kids at Christmas so they are not left out.  It is no longer a religious festival; it is an orgy of consumerism and over indulgence.

The Christmas spend fest, Christmas tree Christmas - an ugly selfish time of year

I'm not against having a good time and enjoying the festive season but Christmas to me has become an ugly selfish time of year.  We are bombarded with advertising to spend, spend, and spend some more.  Look around at the money that gets spent each year on presents and decorations and food.  The retail economy relies on Christmas each year and when you have spent your fill and they have made a tidy profit, they try to sell you whatever is left slightly cheaper in the January sales.

We are forever harping on about falling standards in hildrens behaviour and attitudes, but is it any wonder when the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ our lord has been turned into this obscene corporate, celebrity endorsed spend fest - I shall from this day forward refer to it as Cashmas

By: Real Christmas Only

Do what you want

Do what you want

December 25th was the date of an ancient pagan winter festival which Christians adopted to supplant these celebrations and replace them with a Christian one. Made it a whole lot easier to convert a load of pagans to Christianity.

So I don't have any issues with people NOT celebrating the birth of Jesus on this day.

Who gives a flying monkeys of people want to take the time to enjoy one day of the year, have a nice meal, spend time with loved ones and exchange gifts? It hardly sounds like a terrible thing does it!
Do what you want
1st Jan 12 11:42

Paul

Paul

Couldn't agree more with this article!
Paul

Oi

Bloody shame on whoever minus voted that last comment, you must be an utter selfish moron.

Wise words which will sadly fall on deaf ears, money spent for genuine need would be wonderful but that ephemeral message is crucially going to be lost to salvage naked greed.

No one seems to care....

Stalag 14

Stalag 14

Soon be over with and everything can get back to normal.

What is it that possesses people at this time of year, everyone goes barmy like a sort of mass hysteria............spend spend spend.

It's consumerism gone mad and the only people it benefits are the Chinese as everything seem to come from there nowadays

If half the money spent on presents for the screaming brats was donated to children’s charities I could see some logic in the madness.

So folks; next year instead of spending megabucks on the latest fad toy for the screaming brats donate it to a children’s charity, who will put it to good use and maybe improve some child’s lot or even save a life.

Remember, what you spend on one spoilt UK brat at Xmas could supply food, clothing and shelter for a child or family for a year or more in a deprived country.
Stalag 14

"And you're a prick.

Wow thats original............not!"
Could you be dumb enough not to see the irony in your own comment?

Nah, probably not. Zip off to watch a re-run of something with celebrities in it.
23rd Dec 11 22:31

Oi

"MikeP never gets any presents anyway because hes a grade A cnut and everyone hates him, even his family."

And you're a prick. I can do playground insults too. Grow up.
23rd Dec 11 20:49

Oi

"Bloody crazy, like a load of gormless sheep, there is is no hope for us, I give in, you can destroy the planet, PLEASE"

Good call. This season is nothing but an excuse to display the absolute worse aspects of society i.e. commercialist rapaciousness, vile greed and utter selfishness.
If there was ever a true meaning of Christmas, it's long since gone.
23rd Dec 11 20:47

Stalag 14

Stalag 14

That last comment was for asteroid 2004 MN4 which is expected to fly past the Earth on 13th April 2029..Within the orbits of the geo-stationary satellites. Thats CLOSE!!!!
Start digging and stocking up on food.....ho thats what they are doing screaming around the supermarket.
Stalag 14
23rd Dec 11 16:37

Stalag 14

Stalag 14

Another feeding frenzy of shopping, people raiding the supermarkets and stocking up as if there will be no more supplies until summertime.

As for buying presents for everyone, whats that about?

Stalag 14
23rd Dec 11 16:26

Frosty the Snowman

Frosty the Snowman

Frosty the Snowman

MkeP

MkeP

"Christmas relates to the birth of Jesus, thats why people get presents! "
Oh yes, the result of an immaculate conception! A fairy story and a confidence trick that has caused untold misery and suffering globally for a couple of thousand years.

"Plus wouldn't you be gutted if you woke up on Christmas day and had no presents?"
No. Why would I be gutted? Isn't that something you do to an animal before you cook it?
MkeP

KidChristmas

KidChristmas

Guys, calm down! Christmas relates to the birth of Jesus, thats why people get presents! Plus wouldn't you be gutted if you woke up on Christmas day and had no presents?

Just shut up, Christmas is Christmas, we all celebrate it differantly! Some do it for the fun of it, others do it for family, others for kids!
P.S How many grumpy old wazzers posted on other related cripes..i mean "M&S Christmas Avdert Was Disapointing this year", "Have a grumpy new year everyone", "Fireworks should be licensed", "Stop RE in primary schools"...seriously you adults get sadder every day!
KidChristmas

Father Christmas

Father Christmas

If you dont like Christmas then don't associate yourself with it, simple! I hate people who bang on about "oh I spent £600 this year and now I'm skint." well don't overspend on it! I've just done my shopping for presents for roughly around £80, small gifts but at least my family are not a bunch of spoilt brats who just want want and want some more. I like Christmas it's great even at the age of 24 with no kids I love this time of the year : midnight mass, parties, food, drink and most importantly time off work yippee! So again, if you don't like Christmas then don't moan about it, leave it alone!
Father Christmas

mardi gras the candyman can

mardi gras the candyman can

the truth is simple, most people today who celebrate christmas have no idea what it's actual meaning is. it is no longer the religious tradition it once was, it is mearly a cynical marketing exercise. I am an athiest and therefore think that I should leave christmas to the christians. however most people these days probably don't even realise that it is a christian tradition.
mardi gras the candyman can

Justice

Justice

O M G! What a load of fuss over a simple enjoyment. I love Christmas time and people make it however they want. If I want to celebrate Christmas - do not try to stop me.

So what if it is commercial? I take no notice of the commercial side of Christmas. I just love the idea of the nation being united in a celebration - don't you? Or are you one of those party poopers who hate other people having fun?

If you do not like Christmas, then don't bother with it but do not try and stop others having fun.

Christmas lights cheer up the dark winter months. They look great and so pretty hung amongst the trees and in the front porch. The Indians have Festival of Lights where everyone celebrates.

You celebrate what you believe in and I won't STOP YOU!
So leave our Christmas alone!!
Justice