Fed up with noisy kids in restaurants

Noisy kids in restaurants.  We've all been a restaurant, trying to have a nice adult or romantic meal, and there's a family with small kids in there as well.  Now, I don't have a problem with well behaved children and their parents having a nice quiet civilised meal together.  Even a little bit of childish excitement is OK, as long as they don't go too mad.  But parents who use a meal out in a restaurant as an excuse to stop being a parent for a few hours really wind me up, more so than the children.

Letting their kids scream and shout, and in the worst case, run about the place screaming.  Not only does it ruin everybody else's meals, it's not fair on the staff that have to carry around numerous plates of hot food that they should be dodging kids running around their feet. Or have to stop them from making mischief and take them back to their parents. You know that if one of these kids runs into a waiter/waitress who is carrying a hot plate of food and they drop it on a kids head, the parent is going to go absolutely mental and sue for as much as they can, when their kids comes running back to the table covered in a someones chicken soup.

A child eating at a restaurant Numerous times I've been tempted to stick out a leg and trip over a child who is running past my table. It might seem a bit severe, but how else will they learn that running around in a restaurant isn't a good idea? Don't deny that you haven't wanted to do it! Harvester's are the worst. I know its a family restaurant, but that does not mean its a child care centre. The waiters/waitresses are employed to take orders and serve food, not look after kids.

My solution, kids should be assessed upon entering the restaurant, if they are deemed to be calm and well behaved enough they can enter, if they walk in screaming or come running in, they should be sent back out again. Either that or no kids under the age of 10 in any restaurants. Go to Macdonalds if you want to let your kids run around and create mischief. Don't ruin restaurants for the rest of us

By: Chris

Stalag14

Stalag14

Our local supermarket cafe fills up, every afternoon, with the "look at me and my noisy brat, are we not fantastic" brigade.

They sit, with a inane-gormless grin on their face, looking around to see who is "observing them" as if it's some sort of contest, women with babies are the worst.

As for the show offs who whip a breast out to feed, do they expect to be awarded extra points, or a medal? when did this become normal behaviour in a cafe?

When the local Poundshop starts selling "child friendly" gags, I will buy a few and hand them out to the selfish parents that impose their wonderful-brilliant-golden-boy-girl-brat on the rest of us, who just want to sit and have a cup of coffee.......I mean latte.
Stalag14

Brat free bliss

Brat free bliss

Spot on! I am sick and tired of having my meal ruined by screaming or loud brats! I am also sick of listening to The so called annoyed parents like the ones who have left feedback here moaning as soon as the likes of us who appreciate a bit of peaceful adult time complain because we don't appreciate that time being ruined by their awful little darlings! Stop feeling sorry for your selfs. You decided to burden your selfs with kids so take yourself off to McDonald's or Pizza Hut where you and your awful kids can scream and shout as much as like. You've already taken over coffee shops, gyms, have your own little allocated parking spots in supermarket car parks so at least allow those of us who have chosen a peaceful brat free life to dine in peace. Enough said.
Brat free bliss
2nd Nov 15 22:37

Annoyed parent

Annoyed parent

The biggest contribution to badly behaved children these days? Overworked parents having to work all hours under the sun to afford to survive. That means little time spent with our children who then lose out on a trusting relationship with us and therefore don't listen when we tell them to stop or quieten down for the millionth time. Mostly likely they spend all their time with grandparents who spoil them or at childcare where they feel not loved. Illegal now to smack too. Just make it as hard for parents as possible and then ponder why the children are badly behaved. I get really annoyed when there are loud drunk adults ruining my quiet time in a restaurant. I'm all for waiters chucking adults out too.
Annoyed parent

miserablemoaninggit

miserablemoaninggit

I was in a Cafe Nero coffee shop a few days or so ago. A large group was in - Polish or Czech, not sure - with 2 young toddlers. They were making a lot of noise centered around entertaining the children, irrespective of the other people in the shop.

One of the women started to loudly hum some sort of Polish/Czech dance tune to which the 2 toddlers started dancing. The woman kept looking around with a big grin on her face, obviously expecting the other patrons of the shop to be entertained by this. Judging from the stony stares, frowns and sighs that I heard around me, entertainment was certainly not the desired outcome; rather, it was great irritation. I noticed a few people get up quite hurriedly and leave. British politeness in this case was a problem in that nobody, including myself, voiced a complaint - as if a guy sitting alone reading the newspaper quietly would dare to complain about children!

If only parents would understand - of whatever nationality - that generally speaking people outside of their family do not have the slightest bit of interest in their children. If they insist on taking their children into coffee shops and restaurants (and oh for an 'adults only' establishment!), then they must behave accordingly. That applies to the adults also, as well as the children. In fact, in this case, the adults were more of the problem than their children.
miserablemoaninggit

nell

nell

My children were not perfect ,but they knew when to shut up and sit down , children to day must be allowed to run wild , its called free expression, thought up by the 'do gooders that don't have to deal with the little darlings ,
nell

Alien 3

Alien 3

Once there was a time when children were instructed on good manners and consideration. When you went to a restaurant parents didn't let them run amok, or shout or use cutlery as drumsticks.

But these days many parents are clueless because they're inherently selfish themselves so don't give two hoots about their kids causing a nuisance to others. Personally I think restaurants should ask misbehaving kids and their idiot parents to leave.

If I ever open a coffee lounge it will definitely be NO KIDS ALLOWED because it will be designed as a place where adults can go to chill out and socialise without brats running about.
Alien 3

Nell

Nell

Easy ... find a restaurant thats for adults only ' there are some out there
Nell

Ogre

Ogre

I like kids in restaurant a good chef serves them up well and tasty with a nice seasoned sauce. As for desert I prefer females
Ogre

hazza

hazza

it is so annoying listening to kids making rackets - why can't the next prime minister of the uk just introduce a new law - in restaurants put adults and kids 12 and up in one part of the restaurant, and in the other part of the restaurant kids 11 and under with adults. on flights - let's have the same restriction and in cinemas.
hazza

Angry Autistic Female

Angry Autistic Female

I'm shocked that a 6 year old should answer back to an adult that way when they are told they are making a racket and are annoying others. To be honest my friend was walking her puppy in the park only to have conkers thrown at her by these kids and she told these three 12 year old boys off for doing so but the response was 'Dumb ass bitch!' and 'I'm going to s**t on your grave!' This abuse is coming from kids aged 12 years old! Where do these young kids pick up such foul language from especially when an adult tells them off for doing something? A 6 year old saying such profanity is just as bad let alone a 12 year old. I do feel the need to tell neighbours' kids to play quietly but you can't. It will lead to feuds and disputes as a consequence. Living the countryside would be the only solution if you want to be far away from noisy neighbours' kids. I once heard a neighbour's kid screaming in the garden at 7:30am! On a school day as well! Well you can do anything you want in your garden even it if it annoys your neighbours. Who's going to stop you? The same goes for noisy neighbours' kids. You can't call the police to have them arrested for playing, can you? Even if it was plain damn irritating to listen to as well. I've just learnt to go to another room in the house if it annoys me or one that is the quietest in the house.
Angry Autistic Female

hazza

hazza

I don't like noisy children. can't you go up to the parents and say: 'Can't you just f****** shut that kid up?'. Just have the guts to do it.
hazza
1st Jun 11 18:07

hazza

hazza

but you need to discipline kids, not be a friend to them
hazza

miserablemoaninggit

miserablemoaninggit

Kids will be kids, and that means noise, of course it does. However, the issue of noise whilst out eating a meal in a restaurant is a seperate one. The only real solution is if we move back to the situation of a couple of decades or so ago when society respected the fact that adults wanted to have their own space, away from their own or other people's children. We should have 'adults only' pubs, restaurants and coffee shops; I think this is entirely reasonable. The trouble is, UK society has become so apologetic, politically correct and sensitive that children have almost been put onto a pedestal and we are all expected to laugh when they laugh; cry when they cry; and put their needs, wants and desires first above all else. There is nothing, absolutely nothing, unreasonable about an adult wanting to go into a pub, restaurant, or a coffee shop and have some time either on their own, or with other adults, without the noise and distraction coming from children.
miserablemoaninggit

Golden Boy

Golden Boy

Boaz. Children do respond to love, but if a child misbehaves then that child has to be disciplined ..... there are ways of disciplining a child other than by physical means. As for noisy children, yes they can be a real pain in the neck, but I find the worst children are the ones that are around when the pubs and clubs are just closing.....seriously. With regards to hearing a baby crying in a restaurant or elsewhere, it does bother me because I often sense that the baby may be in distress. Myself, I was a real Angel when I was growing up, I was never a bother to anyone because my parents kept me locked in the cellar until I was twenty one, when I eventually got out I discovered my parents had left home. (not serious)????
Golden Boy

Annoyed mummy to one

Annoyed mummy to one

You say children under ten in your last sentence, its mainly children 10 and upwards that are the brats! Thats juat unfair on the likes of myaelf with a young Child who is very well behaved! I for one do not like my son eatin rubbish from mcdonalds so if restaurants decide not to let me in because my child is under ten does that mean I cant eat out at all? Discrimination!
Annoyed mummy to one