Corporal punishment should be brought back to schools

After hearing about a mother being followed and reported to Social Services after an off-duty policeman heard her chastise her misbehaving children in a supermarket, I felt compelled to type this rant about the way children are behaving in this day and age.

I'm only 30 (nearly) but I remember when I was a child, if I was naughty my parents wouldn't hesitate to give me a smack on the legs or bottom.  It was a short, sharp shock which didn't really hurt, but was sufficient to shock me out of doing whatever naughty thing I was in the middle of.  I grew up knowing right from wrong, and with, I believe, a sense of decency, morals and respect for others.

Sadly, kids now don't seem to have that same respect or parental guidance.  To be fair, I don't think the parents can be entirely blamed; this is yet another legacy that our useless government is bestowing on us.  By removing all parental and authority's rights to discipline children, they're growing up completely out of control.  Why, I've just read an article from the Mail about a gang of 6 year olds who stopped paramedics from treating a toddler who'd burnt her back on a radiator.  Apparently emergency services had to come to the scene armed with tazers.  Protection against 6 year old thugs.  Would this have happened 30, 40 years ago?  I don't think so.

We need to bring back corporal punishment I am worried my daughter will grow up to be a yob...

I'm all in favour of bringing back corporal punishment in schools.  A radical idea perhaps, but if regulated and monitored I think it would go a long way to solving the problem with kids today.  A cane across the palm or backside for serious misdemeanours in school would stop a lot of bad behaviour which children are starting younger and not growing out of.  But no, teachers are given no leeway whatsoever to deal with bad behaviour in their classes.  I've heard that it's now even forbidden to send a child out of the classroom when naughty, because some health and safety policy says they may hurt themselves.  I say, better themselves than some other poor child who probably hasn't done anything wrong, or their long suffering teacher.

I'm now a mother myself and I am worried my daughter will grow up to be a yob, or worse, because of peer pressure and lack of discipline in her school.  I'll do my best at home to instil values and good behaviour in her, but children are influenced by so much more than their parents and I fear my efforts may not be enough.  What this country needs is a government who isn't afraid of everything, and to allow schools to be run by teachers again, instead of the pupils.  And allow parents to discipline their children instead of letting them run wild for fear of Social Services.  A deserved smack on the bottom does not equal child abuse.  It's far more abusive to the child in the long run to let them get away with everything.

By: Mallory

Gerry Kettle

Gerry Kettle

I would definitely like to have corporal punishment reintroduced. I would suggest that it does not only occur at secondary schools, but at junior schools so that children will have started to have developed a sense of acceptable behaviour and attitude. I believe that corporal punishment helps to develop a sense of focus for academic and practical tasks that can last throughout an individual's life.
Gerry Kettle

robo boy

robo boy

Children should be flogged on the butt for bad behaviour. Spare the rod and spoil the child
robo boy

grumpyoldwoman

grumpyoldwoman

Jane, you have my sympathy! We have been in a similar position more than once. (Can't leave a comment on your gripe for some reason.)

Last year or the year before we saw a family in the check in queue and hoped they wouldn't be near us on the plane, but of course they were. Grandparents with tattoos, kids making a nuisance of themselves all the way to Turkey. And then they were near us on the way home too, but not in our hotel, thank heavens.

We had another flight a few years ago with a screaming 2 year old. Never stopped screaming for more than a few minutes at a time. You'd just have time to think it had stopped and relax a bit, then it would start again.

Another time I was next to the window and the child who had been kicking the back of my seat stuck it's foot through the gap between my seat and the window right by my elbow. How I resisted the temptation to hurt that disembodied foot I'll never know!

Separate sound proof compartments for children would be a wonderful thing. The grumpyoldman always says they should be towed behind the plane on a bit of rope!
grumpyoldwoman
22nd Feb 16 18:56

Jane

Jane

I have recently had a flight home from the Canaries and it was the flight from hell and all because of two girls generally being a complete pain in the backside and sat directly in front of us, as for the adult who was sat next to them also couldn't careless. I have also just submitted a full gripe on the issue. My opinion is definately bring back corporal punishment, I'm not talking about throwing the wooden black board eraser at us from half way across the school room, like our teachers used to do, but the head teachers had a slipper and we were petrified of it. Today we are way too soft on children and a sharp short shock with a slap the the legs or backside won't do any lasting damage and keep the little blighters in check. Some Children these days do not know the difference between right or wrong which effects their social skills when around other people or in public, and who's faults that the parents who also have the I dont care attitude so at present I can only see it as an escalating problem.
Jane
22nd Feb 16 06:54

Phil

Phil

When i was at school i was once punched in the stomach by the headmaster, a teacher nearly knocked me unconscious with a big, thick book while another would hit us with a full-sized shovel as punishment.
Ah the good old days!
Phil

Oliver

Oliver

My answer is yes corporal punishment should be brought back to schools.
It should be brought back as an option as well as all other forms of correction they are using in schools at the moment. Of course you will get the occasional sadist, who if they went beyond the bounds of reasonable CP should most certainly face prosecution. When I was at school in the 80s we had corporal punishment as well as other forms of discipline, such as lines, detentions, isolation, etc.
The teachers were on a whole sensible, you were not hit every few minutes.
Most of the time teachers used the methods that are employed in todays schools and only used CP occasionally.
From reading below and seeing the voting I can see someone has been on here quite a lot voting down comments that are for CP in schools.
I will tell you what why don't you give all the countries children a free rein to do as they please, let them run things and be in charge. Give them no guidance or correction, let them break laws and rules. Do this and you will get the society that you deserve, a very bad one. Society these days is far worse now than when I was younger. I predicted what society we have today when CP in schools was outlawed and how children speak to teachers and adults. A much more violent world, with rules and laws that benefit the wrong doers, criminals, and perverts. Yes lets look after their human rights first and the victims second.
You really are very soft and silly people who finally need knocking of your soap boxes. Your anti CP nonsense is now wearing very thin with the majority of the public and it will continue to do so.
So called do gooders have had their day, your ideals are not working, they are failing society, and have been for a long time.
The majority are fed up with do gooders now, you very silly people.
So yes lets see CP brought back and used along side other forms of modern and old methods that are used in school in this century.
Teachers should be properly trained in the subject they are teaching. They should be trained how to handle children psychologically, with discipline, and with compassion and love.
They can't even hug an upset child these days because of do gooders or tend to a cut on some child's knee without a second person present for fear of being labelled perverted. Or they are thought of as being strange or having other motives because they hugged an upset child.
Yes bring corporal punishment back, but it must be used sensibly and with strict rules.
Oliver

NowIsBest

NowIsBest

Ah the good old days of the 1950s when we legally murdered and wounded our citizens. At least we didn't have to pay women the same as men, didn't have to employ non-whites or Irish, or tolerate homosexuality. Yes, the good old days when our young men were forced into two years of slavery for the state, the roads were empty because few could afford cars, and nobody took foreign holidays.

Good riddance to those times
NowIsBest

MrAngry

MrAngry

getting smacked by parents and gettin belt at school didnt do any of us any harm. As the writer said we grew up knowing right from wrong and with morals. Im disgusted with this country now and its excuses for governments. Its a cess pit full of delinquents. Most of the crime now has been caused by this and these bum governments
MrAngry

JrJohn

JrJohn

Disagree on this, physical punishment is wrong, abusive and does not help behaviour in any way.
JrJohn

Facts

Facts

In my opinion, most of the support for corporal punishment stems from a moralistic indignation as opposed to an objective rationalization of what is best for childhood development. Studies have shown that corporal punishment can often do more harm than good to a child psychologically, therefore an emphasis on emotional development should be what is important.

Children from good homes have a greater chance of growing up to be well reasoned and civilized adults, and most good homes today (homes where children don't grow up to be criminals) don't use corporal punishment. So no, corporal punishment is not the way to go. Moral Indignation is not a valid counter-refutation to the actual facts about what is best for childhood psychological, intellectual, and emotional development. If someone has a vice, you don't shun them for it, you encourage them to steer themselves away from it at a young age. If violence isn't to be encouraged in children, you don't use it against them and send a mixed-message. Corporal punishment has been shown to encourage aggression. Many children will take it out on younger siblings, who often suffer emotionally as a result. This is often why middle-children in 3 children families were often under-achievers.

If we are to solve the problems of disorganized behavior in children that could harm their prospects in later life, we need to do so intelligently. Moral outrage leading to idealized and (often) vengeful solutions is not the way to go.
Facts

LOLLOU

LOLLOU

i agree. i dont want my kids to grow up like yobs
LOLLOU

Jethro

Jethro

Corporal punishment at school, yes definitely, but not the kids. The parents should be brought to the school and given the punisment instead cause that's where the problem is, at home.
Jethro

ACM

ACM

With reference to at least corporal punishment occurring at home,even if it's outlawed or totally outlawed in Britain like it is outlawed or totally outlawed in some other European nations,some South American nations,Israel,Kenya,New Zealand ,Tunisia and perhaps other nations from what I've researched, the thing is that in all these nations there must be parents who have the attitude that the government(s) and the authorities aren't raising our kids and as long as we physically punish our kids with reasonable force and with good reason the government(s) and authorities should have no right to interfere with our parental rights.
ACM

DSG

DSG

New guidance on school discipline cautions teachers against repeatedly praising the "same good pupils", suggesting that rewards also be given to persistent miscreants who show an improvement, however small. It says schools should not "over discipline" persistently unruly pupils for fear of alienating them and should instead hand out praise five times more often than punishments.

This is, of course, what teachers have been trained to do for the last fifty or sixty years at least. Teacher training colleges are pretty useless, to be honest, but that is one thing they've always had right - a good teacher praises, a bad teacher criticises. All teachers know that. Almost all of them do it.

But the government advice cites research recommending a "rewards/sanctions ratio of at least 5:1". Oh, now I see. Teachers may have known all about this already, but because it wasn't backed up by research, they obviously didn't know it properly so it didn't count. Another piece of common knowledge among teachers is that educational research is carried out by people who either failed in the classroom themselves, or couldn't face it in the first place.

The guidance also tells teachers to take account of pupils' race and culture when telling them off, suggesting that they go easy on those insubordinate youngsters for whom being "loud" or "overfamiliar" may be a cultural norm or "social style". Teachers should understand the importance of showing respect to children from racial or religious backgrounds for whom public humiliation is seen as particularly shameful. In these cases, staff should not use language that might humiliate youngsters in front of their friends.

In other words, the government is now instructing teachers to be racists, to discriminate between children of different races when teaching them and disciplining them. I think we all knew this was the way it would go, but now we have it in black and white. Ha! Black and white, get it? Oh, never mind.
DSG

iPost

iPost

Biscuitbum, I bet you never did those things again, right?
iPost