Why are GP receptionists always so rude?

GP receptionists, I really can't stand them. They're all old, power-hungry female battle-axes that seem to delight in being over bureaucratic, inefficient power mongers. For example:

(1) Two years ago I developed hypothyroidism (under active thyroid gland) a chronic condition requiring lifelong medication. The symptoms are forgetfulness, tiredness and profuse sweating that disappear once your TSH levels are in the normal range. When I went to pick up my first prescription I got treated appallingly. I felt tired, frustrated, soaked in sweat and, unfortunately, lost my temper with the receptionist when she hadn't processed my prescription. But did she understand? Did she heck. I just got banned from the surgery and forced to change doctors. Their excuse? A zero tolerance policy for 'abusing' staff. I wouldn't have minded if I had threatening or assaulted this receptionist but this incident wasn't even close!

It was unprofessional beyond belief...

(2) A blood test at a health centre. In reception the battle-axe that booked me in, after ignoring me on arrival whilst continuing to chat to her friend, treated me, and other patients to 10 minutes of lively 'entertainment' listening to her on the phone, shrieking and guffawing at the top of her voice with laughter. It was unprofessional beyond belief and all patients (one holding her head in pain) just gave each other disapproving glances.

Why are GP receptionists always so rude? (3) My new surgery booked me for a blood test by phone. Arrived on the due date and was told to wait in the blood test reception. I did - for an hour. When the nurse never called me in I returned to main reception and the same receptionist dismissively told me that they don't do blood tests on Tuesdays. I told them I had got my dates right, but she didn't believe me. No apology, no explanation about why she'd checked her computer, saw my name and told me to wait in the first place. Just a surly PC attitude that suggested that I'd put her out for daring to question her on her incompetence.

So, there you go - GP receptionists, I detest them.

By: Pat

Lucy

Lucy

I am a Receptionist in a GP surgery. I always teat patients with respect as my philosophy us "treat others the way you would like them to treat you". Majority of patents are lovely.
Some other patients though are not prepared to wait, Drs run over cos when a patient is in a consultation they may need along chat and they cant be rushed. You are dealing with human beings so it's very hard to get itr
Right.
Lucy

John

John

Hi Pat.

After having my own experience with rude medical reception, I was indeed also noticing a good number of them (because of other similar experiences at other medical clinics) are very rude and condescending and often not very helpful or sympathetic, I started searching online for this matter, and it seems that many people are experiencing the same stuff.
I don't know why those people are the way they are. I assume it's because they're pathetic angry assholes, but also that they have a stressful life and job. Unlike decent people who have difficult lives, but still act respectfully, these receptionist are the kind of lowlifes that take out their misery on others.
However what you mentioned here: "I just got banned from the surgery and forced to change doctors. Their excuse? A zero tolerance policy for 'abusing' staff."
Gave me a possible clue as to why they act the way they do.

You see.. apart from being miserable and pathetic sack of shits, many of these receptionists have worked in their field long enough to know what kind of crap they can get away with.
They're schemers. They treat you like shit, and when you get mad and lose your temper, they act like victims and ban you using their "no abuse policy" as a means to protect themselves even though they were the ones who instigated the problem. Nothing but scheming scumbags who hide behind their policy to excuse their rude behaviour and blame the patients if you overreact in anger.
John

youknowwho

youknowwho

you should come in Seahouses...she came all the way out her office try to have a fight with me...the Surgery manager try to blame 50% of what happen to me lol ,clearly they cant afford to lose such a wonderful woman!
youknowwho

Axel

Axel

For what it's worth, American GP receptionist are also, more often than not, utterly useless.
Axel

Dead and Buried

Dead and Buried

coz they have just been bullied/harassed by the GP! lol
Dead and Buried
23rd May 14 13:04

treecreeperan

treecreeperan

I went to pick up my prescription. gave her my name.
(receptionist) you picked it up at boots, 2 days ago according to our records
me) didn't, I never go in boots.
(receptionist) you did, according to our records.
(me) ive just told you I didn't.
(receptionist) whats your name again.
(me) gimme a pen and I will write it down for ya
(receptionist) take a seat till I find out whats going on
(ten mins later) heres your prescription mr jones. it was in the tray.
(me) I wouldn't mind a job here. I can be incompetent any day of the week. tara
treecreeperan
23rd May 14 10:33

Disgruntled

Disgruntled

I take Metformin for Type 2 diabetes. I ordered a repeat prescription and, over a week later, went to pick it up. It wasn't there. The woman eventually produced my order, from a folder, and told me I couldn't have my new prescription until I'd seen the practice nurse - the following week. When I protested that I would be without my medication for a week she shrugged 'couldn't care less'.
I changed my doctor!!!!!!
Disgruntled

Tired and emotional

Tired and emotional

I assure you Boblet, it is the planet Earth, you want to know my 'secret'? Speak to others politely and you usually find that most people, doctors receptionists included will return the gesture, there are some people who are lacking in manners, show no respect towards others and lack what you might describe as 'communication skills', such people are best avoided and as much as I dislike rudeness, unfortunately being polite to such people reaps no benefits, I fail to see what is so difficult about speaking to a receptionist at a surgery or medical centre, I do so, quite frequently and it is one of the easiest things you can do, they're great at arranging appointments too, I like the way they ask if a certain time is convenient and arrange another time if it's not.
Tired and emotional
22nd Dec 13 16:40

boblet

boblet

Tired and emotional, please advise what planet do you inhabit?
boblet
22nd Dec 13 16:18

Tired and emotional

Tired and emotional

Strange that, I go for blood tests at my GP once a month to monitor my INR (before you ask, no it's not contagious and yes I do pay for my prescriptions) and the reception staff don't work behind any kind of protection, you go in, enter your details into a touchscreen and wait for your name to come up on a screen, I have never seen anyone under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the medical centre, the reception staff are polite and efficient, you can walk right up to the desk to speak with them, no violence is necessary, there is no need for any security and it's a pretty well organised set up, the medical staff are highly competent, professional, approachable and courteous and I am usually in and out in a matter of minutes.
Tired and emotional
22nd Dec 13 13:00

Vote Liberal

Vote Liberal

"Go into any private doctor's surgery and there is no toughened glass protection for the receptionist".

That's because private paying personage are civilized and educated, so there is no threat of unruly behavior that may be associated from undesirables within some NHS surgeries.
Vote Liberal
22nd Dec 13 11:25

We Live In Two Worlds

We Live In Two Worlds

At our doctor's surgery the admin staff sit in secure area behind toughened galss, like bank counter clerks.

I wonder why. Is it because the way they run the surgery is an abomination and liable to a severe dispute with the public that they need such protection.

Go into any private doctor's surgery and there is no toughened glass protection for the receptionist.
We Live In Two Worlds
22nd Dec 13 00:35

grumpyoldwoman

grumpyoldwoman

majestik, most surgeries these days seem to have many "backroom" staff; ours has more administration staff than doctors. They should be the ones doing the extra work; the receptionists' job is to receive patients at the desk and answer the phone.

Most of the extra work is nonsense anyway, back in the days when they had less work to do it was much easier to see your doctor and get some treatment quickly.
grumpyoldwoman

majestik

majestik

I watch the receptionists while i am waiting to be called in, they are working non stop, they have a lot more work to do now too. They help a lot of people get things sorted out, they are busy from the time they start work. Their work load has increased since i was a child, it is getting busier all the time. They are human, they do not just sit there answering the phones. I doubt i could be that patient all day! As the saying goes "unless you have walked in their shoes". Some are rude, but the majority are super considering what they have to deal with.
majestik

Wilhelm

Wilhelm

Tommy, your GP surgery was completely empty? Nobody came in or out for 25 minutes? That is amazing!!.....my own surgery is always packed and busy with people coming and going. I had assumed that all surgeries in the countrie were the same as mine!
Wilhelm