Verbal abuse from a complete stranger in the street

Today, I was shocked to see a young man hanging around the aisles in my local supermarket.  As women in the forties and fifties walked by, he made snide comments about their figure or clothes.  Naturally, this prince among men targeted female shoppers who were on their own.

A few of the women ignored his comments about their figures, one answered back, saying she wondered what HE would look like in 20 or 30 years from now.  Two or three of the women he insulted just laughed at him.

I was actually quite shocked that it has become ok to taunt strangers in the supermarket.  I suppose in one respect we we're lucky that at least he didn't have a knife on him.

A stranger in the street Not just men - I've been sworn at by a woman in her twenties just for being in her way...

Come to think of it, it's not just men who are rude either.  I've been sworn at by a woman in her twenties just for being in her way.  The same thing happens on trains, in train stations and other public places.  When did it suddenly become okay to ridicule somebody you don't even know - someone who isn't doing anyone any harm?

I know that these name callers are cowards.  I know that it may seem like a harmless bit of fun to them.  The truth is though, that it is actually a form of bullying which is becoming all too prevalent in today's society.

Just as I hate hearing loud swearing on trains when there are elderly people around, I deplore the trend of 'happy slapping', but this is a new one - picking on middle aged women for not being in such good shape anymore!  I am ashamed of the way our society has become and think the only way out is to move overseas.

By: Phil "I will have vengeance in this life or the next"

Openureyes

Openureyes

The pathetic ending: 'the only way out is moving overseas'. What? So you think this only happens in your country?
Come on!
Openureyes

Badade

Badade

This really has become a very common behaviour of the younger crowd. The other day one fellow came up to me and started wanted to see my baby and was asking questions about her. When i asked why he wants to know he bad mouthed me and started walking off...i also gave him a piece of my mind. But this got me into thinking that this is the norm now. People are used to get stuff so easily that they have no idea how to be civilized anymore..
Badade

dandelion0709

dandelion0709

I've never come across people being rude to strangers, or strangers being rude to me for no reason, except once, some kids were fishing on the river bank, and I was crossing a bridge, and one hurled a stone at me, which would have given me a decent injury had it hit me, but it hit the railings on the bridge instead.
I would be really fearful if people started abusing me in the supermarket or in another public place, or if a stranger insulted another stranger.
I must admit, I try to keep clear of crowded places or busy places though, and I am glad I do, as I would hate it if this became more common for me.
dandelion0709

Smart lady

Smart lady

No Phil (below comment)
He was probably a yob or chav to be honest.
Get you're facts right.
Smart lady

Phil -not that one

Phil -not that one

The guy in the supermarket was probably an immigrant. He feels like a fish out of water and has taken to alcohol abuse. This makes him lash out at women who remind him of his mother and the life he left behind in Poland - probably.
The remedy is to stop all immigration. You don't need swathes of unskilled immigrants when there are two and a half million unemployed in this country. Problem solved. Happy shopping!
Phil -not that one

Just Awful

Just Awful

I've witnessed this type of thing before and the shocking thing is that some adult bystanders think it's funny. No wonder these kind of people think it's OK to act this way!

Nasty little bullies they are.
Just Awful

Dave Plant

Dave Plant

But the same is true of this web site. People express an opinion often with facts and they are then insulted because somebody doesn't share the same view, but doesn't back it up with counter evidence.

My point is if your going to insult someone then clearly you have suffered from a poor education. If you disagree with someones statements then rationaly produce counter evidence is a polite way. Who knows you may change options.
Dave Plant

got my ticket

got my ticket

I think the real problem is that all the power in Britain has been handed over to 3 groups: firstly, the EU with all its 'human rights' nonsense; secondly, the upper stratum of politicians, bankers and the like - all enjoying their expenses and bonuses. The third group is the Jeremy Kyle candidates who have got the free time and dole money to cause problems for their neighbours and people in supermarkets and on buses. That leaves the middle class, educated, tax-paying grafters who end up paying for everything and have been squeezed out.
got my ticket

hairyfairy

hairyfairy

What can we expect when they closed all the mental hospitals, for what`s laughingly called "care in the community", just a euphamism for dumping all the lunatics onto the streets!
hairyfairy

The Singing Nun

The Singing Nun

A swift punch in the gob usually does the trick...
The Singing Nun

witsend

witsend

Was he just being a prat or could he be suffering with tourettes. Some people have mild forms of the illness.

Doesn't excuse him but might give a reason as to his behaviour.

Normally I would respond with 'and you're ugly, I can change my dress or weight but what can you do. I feel so sorry for you'
witsend

Partridge

Partridge

Ah, fantasy gripe time again. Stick with real events please.
Partridge

Anon

Anon

I was in M&S trying on a blue jacket and a middle aged woman walked right up to me and said in a tone of utmost sincerity in a professional tone of voice: "that jacket does your awful figure no favours at all." She looked like a middle class middle manager type and it just seemed so odd that someone like that would say something so rude and cutting in a tone that would suggest she was trying to be helpful. I felt so annoyed, as she swept past me, I ended up making a complaint. If I had spotted her again I would have been very tempted to wallop her one. If some loud mouth chav had shouted it out I would have felt far less offended.
Anon

Nick

Nick

Just in case you didn't know, there is a sub-human species called chavs/chavettes. If you see someone in tracksuit/hoodie/trainers hanging around in back alleys, stay alert, ignore them as if they were not human beings.
Nick
3rd Jan 14 11:02

charlie

charlie

Basically he is a nut case, the country is full of them
charlie