Trading cards should be banned in schools

Below is a letter I felt compelled to send to the headmaster of the local school that my daughter attends.  I really think that trading cards should be banned in schools as they cause so many problems.  Im sure that Im not the only parent out there that feels this way about the cards either.

Dear Mr Brown,

I thought I'd email you about something that has been bothering me for some time now, even more so in the last couple of weeks.  Last week Molly brought home from school 8 Moshi Monster cards.  I asked her where she got them from and she said that someone had given her a card which she was able to swap with someone for more cards as it was a high value card.  I told her that I was not comfortable with her having these cards as I think they are a waste of money and cause far too many problems on the playground, e.g.  arguments, stealing, bullying, lying.

Earlier this week I confiscated the cards off Molly as I wasn't happy with her behaviour towards me and I told her she had to earn them back through positive behaviour.  The next day Molly told me that she needed to take one of the cards back to school as it was Jason's, so I gave this particular card back to her to return.

As mentioned earlier, I am totally against any form of trading cards as they cause far too many problems both at school and at home and I'm sure I'm not the only parent that feels this way.  The kids put pressure on the parents to buy them and it they don't buy them they find other ways of obtaining them.  In this case I'm not sure if I believe Molly is 'sharing' them with Jason, either way I'm not comfortable with her having these cards in her possession.  I had a similar problem with the Match Attax cards, I have never bought any for Molly and somehow she acquired 26 cards.  I recently asked her where these cards were and she told me she gave them to one of the girls that lives in our street because she got bored of them.  A couple of hours later she told me that she actually left them in her school fleece which she lost a couple of months ago and has since been brought back to school by Miranda Green who accidentally picked up her fleece and now has the cards in her possession.  As I said I just don't know what to believe.

Please can I ask that you consider a total ban on these kind of cards.

Kind regards,

Alison Clark

(Please Note: Names have been changed to protect the identity of the original author)

James

James

Remove match attacks please there causing trouble please
Get rid of them everyone get rid of them now alright I mean it alright erverbody now otherwise they get banned
James

poop

poop

Match attacks should be banded
They need to go.
Mr brown
poop

Anonymous

Anonymous

Excuse me Sir or Ma'am, you have just done something that is one of the many reasons why the world is what it is today in many aspects. You have just attempted to stop a perfectly harmless and completely fine thing. There is no argent you have put forward that probides any reason as to stopping the cards being played with within school. Here are a few quick reasons as to why you argument is invalid: 1. Your child has friends, those friends enjoy playing those cards with her as I'm sure she enjoys playing those trading cards with her friends. This is a way to have a good time at school at times such as recess or lunch that supports her wanting to return to school the next day. 2. Just by simply having something other than school work to look forward to the next day is something to be proud of your daughter for finding. This is a great way for her to learn great life lessons in the mannor of budgeting time. She will learn that if she gets her work done more efficiently and with less distractions she can go play with her friends on this card game she enjoys so much.

So, let your daughter enjoy these cards because it is another way for your daughter to find something she enjoys and allows her to learn life lessons early on instead of later on in life when those lessons could be more catastrophic. Pease think about this and consider that your daughter has found something she enjoys, so don't take that away from her.

On a final note, your daughter probably doesn't remember what happened to those cards in the first place. Not everyone has an idedic memory, and should not be treated like so. Don't worry so much about a simple trading card game. It's a game and it was intended for an audience who enjoys said trading card game. Let her enjoy life. Don't punish something that is not bad behavior. With regards.
Anonymous
21st Feb 14 18:30

Lee

Lee

Just buy her them I have found moshi monster cards with a price of 75p !!!
Lee
21st May 13 20:54

ANTIFACEBOOK

ANTIFACEBOOK

I agree they are so annoying and leave certain children out
ANTIFACEBOOK

Boblet

Boblet

Hoo Mee I still collect things I cannot explain why. It must be something in my genes. I have thousands of post cards, books, comic's etc, the only thing I have difficulty collecting is money..
Boblet

Hoo Mee

Hoo Mee

Have to say I agree with her..my 5 year old was asking about these cards and I tried to get her to see perspective. They cost money that could be diverted elsewhere and do not aid creativity or inclusiveness. I really dislike the idea of peer pressure to buy things and feel this leads to alienation of those who cannot afford them.
A headmaster would certainly think about this carefully and may or may not decide to ban them.
Hoo Mee

Nick

Nick

P, I doubt very much that the headmaster had a laugh. They take this kind of thing quite seriously these days. Personally, I wouldn't assume that because it was okay back in the 70s that it is necessarily a good thing or harmless. After all, school is a place to learn and with the UK falling so far behind academically, the less distractions there are for the kids the better surely?
Nick

oi

oi

Try banning crap like X-Factor. That'd be beneficial to all kids intellectual growth.

Other than that, this post is just ridiculous - kids not allowed to do anything anymore?
oi

P

P

When I was at school back in the late 1970s, this sort of thing was going on all the time! It is completely harmless and just a bit of fun, at the end of the day. Schools these days have gone all soft and particularly correct. You wasted paper by sending a letter to the Headteacher who probably had a right laugh at this!
P

LMAO

LMAO

Alison you are cracking me up! What a load of crap. Just let Molly play with her friends and calm down. You're a fully grown women, you know better.
LMAO
2nd Sep 11 15:48

Youthful Griper

Youthful Griper

Hmm, so you don't buy Molly any of the Moshi or the Match Attax cards, yet she still acquires them without telling you until you find out she has them. Are you not worried about this?

Why don't you just buy her them? Surely you're encouraging her deceitful behaviour by not allowing her to join in with what is essentially, a playground craze. Bullies tend to bully people who stand out from the crowd. As I see it, Molly will stand out because she doesn't have any of these cards, unless she acquires them from elsewhere.

There are other ways to teach your children about values if that's what you're worried about. My parents bought me Premier League football stickers when I was at school, looking back they were pointless but it's not done me any disservice. I'm careful with my money as I always have been, I don't fritter it away and I understand the value of money.
Youthful Griper

lordmorgs

lordmorgs

You are a very sad person OP. You seriously want to destroy a simple and harmless childhood pleasure? And just another example of the "ban it" culture we seem to have in this once great, laughable "country".
lordmorgs

DSG

DSG

Many problems? Alison,the only problem here is you seeking to ban a simple aspect of school life! Kids have always traded cards,and will continue to. I've traded cards before,and I haven't got any problems at school or home! Then again,it could be trading cards one day,the next...drugs or even guns(!)
P:S:Please note the sarcasm in my last sentence.
DSG

artuksa

artuksa

Children trading in Moshi Monster cards, this is serious stuff, better get MI5 to get to the bottom of this. Might be a cover for the Taliban to infiltrate the school and recruit suicide bombers. Alison, you must have a very boring life if this is a serious incident to you. I have suggestions to make your life exciting but I wouldn't be allowed to post them here, they would need to be put on an adult site.
Maybe I'm wrong the mysterious fleece and hidden cards might be the basis for a new TV drama series.
artuksa