NEXT clothes quality not what it once was

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed a deterioration in the quality of clothes on sale in some of the main high street stores?  I used to shop regularly at NEXT, but find that the clothes are now often of such poor quality whilst at high prices, that I am no longer doing so.

'Made in China' seems to be on most of the labels and, whilst I having nothing against goods made in China, the 'feel' of the goods tends to indicate quality on the lower end.  NEXT are selling short-sleeved shirts 'from' around £25.00 and more, and they are of such poor quality that I am loathe to part with my money.  In fact, I often go around NEXT stores muttering to myself "What a load of rubbish all this is".  Am I going mad?  Or is this a common reaction?

NEXT clothes relying on past good reputation?

It seems to me that NEXT are relying on their past good reputation and the familiarity with their brand to sell rubbish goods at higher quality prices.  I can go to Tesco and buy a shirt of the same, if not better, quality than in NEXT for around £10.00 and often less.  Also with NEXT, I buy a pair of jeans or trousers for work, and find that the fabric in the seat quickly becomes very thin and holes appear.

Next Clothes, quality, made in China I went into Monsoon yesterday to look at the so-called 'sale' in the men's section.  Yet again, 'Made in China' seemed to be the norm, and even at half-price, the shirts on offer seemed to me to be of a very poor quality.  Is it the same with women's clothes I wonder?

Are we being "ripped-off" by retail stores that we once trusted?  Or am I just getting old (at 39) and I need to start doing more shopping in Marks and Spencer and/or the supermarkets?

By: Alaneroberts

Amigettingoldhaha!!

Amigettingoldhaha!!

You are spot on. My daughter (13) & myself (45) walked around a Next store yesterday and both agreed what a load of old tat Next have in store. You are correct the jeans last no time. The fabric, design, just everything screams 'cheap'. Such a shame as I used to buy 90% of my clothes from Next. I have older clothes that are still going strong, however, find myself shopping in the sale section of Joules, Fatface & Boden these days.
Amigettingoldhaha!!
31st May 19 12:55

JAS

JAS

Totally agree, the finish on Next clothing is a joke. Monsoon use to be the go too for occasion wear but the stuff is now cheaply made and such poor quality.
JAS
22nd May 19 20:38

Annie

Annie

No, you are not getting older. My biggest gripe is with the quality of suits being sold nowadays. Why bother selling a complete suit at £60 when the material is such rubbish quality? In the past I bought some nice suits from NEXT and WALLIS so much so that 10 years later when I wear them I receive compliments. However the stuff sold today, I wouldn’t give to my dog! They’re ill-fitting and look ridiculously cheap. I bought a dress suit out of desperation two years ago when I needed to attend an interview I wasn’t expecting and I’d foolishly put on so much weight I couldn’t fit into any of my old suits. I never wore the suit again outside my home and now use the dress part as home clothes. I felt cheap throughout the interview. The fitting was awful; and the material worse than the cheapest polyester. Please just give us well cut quality materials. I’ll rather pay more than buy the rubbish being sold today. Indeed I’m having to shop now at high end stores I never used to - just to get the quality of clothing I need.
Annie

Summerbreeze

Summerbreeze

Having read all comments on Next clothing (running to quite afew pages) I have noticed that most of the more positive comments, of which there are only a small number, are from men. Having shopped for my son in Next when he was a late a late teen I can agree that the Mens clothing department in Next sells better quality than the Womens department, I have even purchased the occasional casual shirt or hoody in a small size for myself from there, knowing it would last me longer. My gripe is particularly with women’s jeans which seem to stretch out of shape after a few wears and sweaters which bobble in no time at all (see my previous comment). I buy summer T shirts from Primark now for a very small price and they last me longer than those purchased from Next in the past few years. I still occasionally buy from Next because I have an account with them and am always willing to give them another try in the hope of finding a good quality item or two. After my recent experience of the fluffing jumpers I think it is probably time to call it a day. I have complained to staff at the till and once unfortunately created a bit of a scene when they refused to give me a refund on some jeans that had stretched appallingly. (a few years ago now). When they checked my account and found out that I was a long term, fairly high spend customer, they did refund agree to refund the item. I don’t buy jeans from them now. The last time I complained was yesterday and they told me that they have never had complaints before. Am really pleased that I am not the only one. I really like the jumpers I purchased and am so disappointed to find that the yarn is such poor quality.
In response to the ‘spend more on better quality clothes’ comments, I would like to add that Next was the store that fitted the bill for me in this regard. So sorry that it isn’t anymore.
Summerbreeze

Summerbreeze

Summerbreeze

Just purchased some next jumpers in the sale, originally priced at £34. Have worn one for one afternoon out and an afternoon and evening the following day.the yarn is fluffing like crazy on the arms and beginning to fluff all over. I have bought jumpers from Primark that have maintained their ‘new’look for far longer. I have been a customer of Next for many years and still have jumpers I bought years ago that are still very wearable. I hate to waste money on rubbish clothing and I am angry at Next for allowing this degree of deterioration in their products whilst maintaining their pricing. I would rather pay more than be ripped off. Do the designers of this brand think that customers are so unaware that they will continue to remain loyal to the brand under the circumstances. I for one will not!
Summerbreeze

Freckles

Freckles

Totally agree. As a trained seamstress the quality of the fabrics used and the extremely poor manufacturing of the garments on sale at Next are just appalling. I use to regularly buy much workwear and suits for good quality tailored suits from next And have 3 suits remaining from around 2008/9 still looking good. These days can’t even buy a pair of cheap jeans let alone a pair of trousers or jackets without faults with seams and tailoring. All retailers moan how tough times are on the high st but quite frankly we don’t want to part with good hard earned money on cheap poor quality clothing! Purchased what I thought was a nice looking jacket paid £60 but the seams at the dart line are shocking so now I have to waste my time taking it back for a refund. Get a grip NEXT and provide the quality your customers deserve! Your petite range... my goodness sack your designers or advisers as clearly they haven’t got a clue how to style a petite person!!
Freckles

Cross!

Cross!

Quality has really gone downhill. In the last year I've taken back more things than I've ever done because the seams aren't sewn together all the way up, you follow the washing instructions and they come out frayed and after 2 weeks the school shoes no longer have the strap attached and are only fit for the bin. I've bought a lot for me and the kids over the years but despite the convenience of delivery I will be ceasing to offer them my business after the latest fraying incident.
Cross!

cheated

cheated

Started shopping in Next in the late 80s, still got a t-shirt, stopped buying polo shirts about 3 years ago, they would not last the summer. Now just looked at a pair of jeans that I've only worn on and off for 6 months and the are falling apart. Next are only trading on how good they used to be, the quality is not there anymore.
cheated
23rd Jun 18 15:20

grumpyoldwoman

grumpyoldwoman

I find this a bit odd. Yes, I have seen trashy looking stuff in Next over the last few years, but I have 5 pairs of their jeans and several tops that I've bought from them in the last 4 or 5 years and all of them wash and wear really well.

Mind you, I do look after my clothes, and wash and dry them properly. I do in fact also have clothes from Primark which seem to have lasted fairly well too!
grumpyoldwoman

Pinky

Pinky

Totally agree the quality is very bad now, Primark quality but three times the price! Won't shop there all my clothes are awful after one wash can't wear them. They need to do something now before people desert them.
I fear they will be NEXT to go on high street.
Pinky

@ Avoid, All British retailers are now pulling the same stunt, buy cheap from China or wherever is the cheapest and then sell it here at the highest prices they can get away with. Not only clothes, everything!

Avoid

Avoid

Their t-shirts are awful. 1 had holes in after 2 washes and the other has just come apart all around the bottom and also developed holes even though its only a couple of months old. Waste of money better off spending more for quality. Same issues M&S's skinny jeans - they wore through after a few months.
Avoid

Gusto

Gusto

Next jeans are skewiff. I'm pretty sure that my legs are on straight!!! Therefore it must be the cut of the jeans ? They appear to be twisted,I am forever having to straighten them. On the whole most clothes in next appear to be poor quality and very overpriced. I find that I walk in and out of next still living in hope for some decent attire , sorely disappointed! !!
Gusto

Music Lover

Music Lover

Yes, I've noticed a big change in Next clothing quality too. The fabric is not of good quality. The jeans are being made smaller too. Sometimes M & S skimp on their sizes but at least you can get a cotton top.
Music Lover
1st Aug 17 02:59

Endless

Endless

I've noticed a huge drop in quality over last couple of years, everything I've bought has faults or doesn't last. 2 brighly coloured t-shirts green and blue, within 4 washes both faded to a transparent dirty white, bubbled and stretched almost to my knees ...now only wearable as very unsexy nightware. Pair of combats thinned and ripped above the knee after approx 6mths. Bought a smart coat, the next day notice multiple pulls and stitching coming undone on pocket and collar, returned and store assistant said same had happened to her mom with same coat. I vowed not to shop there anymore but as I like their clothes and struggle to find jeans in boyfriend style elsewhere I succumbed and bought a pair (comfortable fit... I could remove them without unbuttoning) without warning they just split from the crotch to my knee when I got down on 1 knee. Fortunately I was vacuuming and not proposing or out in public! I'd had them just over a month.
So that's it now calling it quits on Next.
Endless