I don't want to talk to you, just leave me alone

What has the global village done to individual social responsibility and the respect for the privacy of others?  Encouraged way too much interaction/introduction when clearly not needed or requested, I don't want to be everyones friend thank you very much!

Whilst surfing at a relatively secluded spot on the Outer Hebrides last year in perfect (if big) conditions, I was continually subjected to comments and conversation by others.  Now this I can understand happening in the tourist honeypot summer pseudo-surf communities of southern England.  But in an area renowned worldwide for its peace and solitude if you see me, LEAVE me alone please, and if you really must speak, at least say something intelligent.  For example dont say "Are you a surfer?" to a bloke dressed in a 5/4/3 wettie with a board under his arm who replies: "No I'm a professional gimp seeking the mystical Hebridean loom of depravity to facilitate the incorporation of this fibreglass prone whipping slab into the perverse tweed of life!"

Walking dogs on the beach As a lakeland born son of Cumbria, now with its twelve month tourist season, when home walking the dog at any time of the year I am subjected (during a maximum 30 minute stroll) to at least 15-20 comments on the quality of the time (good morning/afternoon/day) followed by attempts at brief conversational interaction with the subject of the weather always the opening gambit.  I have long lost the pleasure of a short scything sarcastic retort to harvest their looks of upset, disappointment or disgust dependent upon strength of return, and I now simply ignore these irritating incumbents.

...follow the country code and keep it shut!

There is no need to interact with complete strangers in a countryside or beach setting, so ask yourself if you would behave like this in any major city.  You know the answer, therefore follow the country code and keep it shut!

By: Weedwabit

I see this most mornings. Stressed, angry, depressed people, heads down avoiding others. Behind the wheel of cars driving angry. The cyclists on walk ways riding at people.This phenomenon is increasingly becoming more and more prevalent especially with the millennials who have driven themselves into financial difficulties in a want it all society. And if they have children these problems are being passed on to them. Watch this clip posted by Kenny.
Video for youtube millennials

Jethro

Jethro

Awoke early this morning as is usual,and in my receding years the world almost seems at its best this time of day, uncomplicated and quiet before too many people destroy the solitude. The dog is beside me raring to go on another adventure, and the chill air greets me as do the perched birds awaiting the light. I meet the usual young father pushing the baby wheeler with his new offspring that refuses to settle at home, his eyes tell me of his fatigue and I feel a pang of sympathy, been there, done it. There are always others about in the small hours and the absents of life's confusing rush seems to mellow others, always a smile and good morning. The dog sniffs and lingers, and until he has completed his business I must watch him carefully. The distant duel carriage way seems much closer as do the first train to leave the town. And finally I reach the shore line to sit in the shelter and watch the beginnings of another day." Grow old along with me, the best is yet to be, The last of life for which the first was made" RB.
Jethro

So long

So long

Hi Weedwabit,
try to put a Foreign accent and be warm and cheerful. Around here, in the countryside, you'll be stonewalled in a second. You'll have to switch it off at the pub or the restaurant/cafe, because a Foreigner looking happy but wanting a bit of peace is not acceptable and you'll be subject to aggressiveness aplenty.
So long
2nd Sep 12 15:00

Observer

Observer

Weedwabit, thanks for exposing the interior world of the average Brit for the whole world to see. Many of us were wondering why Brits were so cold hearted. I figured it was no great mystery and you confirmed my suspicions: Brits, by choice, are just miserable, self-centered, hard and unfeeling people.
Observer

Rugbyrules

Rugbyrules

Lulz. Obvious troll complaint. Do keep smoking the weed, wabit.
Rugbyrules

grumpus

grumpus

I too hate being accosted by strangers and talked at! I thought an MP3 player with headphones would solve the problem but no such luck. People still talk at me and I've even had people make prolonged eye contact, wave and tap me on the shoulder at bus stops because I haven't replied to them. Yes I am a miserable so and so, and grumpy. That's who I am, I don't want to talk about mundane things with people I don't know. But I still have the right to go outside.
I have no high opinion of myself, I know exactly what and who I am. Just s()d off and leave me in peace!
grumpus
2nd Apr 12 13:00

Some bloke

Some bloke

So let me get this straight, you are complaining about people being too friendly! I don't like people like you. You are incompatible with society.
Some bloke
21st Mar 12 20:13

ForTheseLastFewDaysLeaveMeAlone

ForTheseLastFewDaysLeaveMeAlone

I sometimes travel by train during the day, to appointments. I use my laptop to catch up some offline work. About 50% of the time an older person near me seems to think it acceptable to a) enquire as to my destination b) enquire as to my business c) seek my opinion on the weather, a sport item or a politician d) tell me something about their life in which I have no interest.

I have no choice but to be firm and rude.
ForTheseLastFewDaysLeaveMeAlone

Jethro

Jethro

Fuchoff Statement, Seeing as you are such an complexed person, is this what you are trying to say,
"Tempus venit" Walrusmet ait, "dicere multa CERA calceos et naves et holus et reges"
Jethro

Fuchoff Statement

Fuchoff Statement

Tell 'em to
For Uncles Cabbages and Kings Or French Flowers

to go away and get considerably lost.
Fuchoff Statement

Ju

Ju

It's posters like Weedwabit who are ruining the quality of this website.
Ju
31st Jan 12 08:59

Pedro Loves Warm Hearted Human Beings

Pedro Loves Warm Hearted Human Beings

It's bizarre that this gripe is actually relating to having an issue with Friendly People in Society. I would've thought that the people in question would be writing a gripe about the Author and not the other way around.

Get over yourself Man. Failing that I'd say Suicide is your best option.
Pedro Loves Warm Hearted Human Beings

Tony

Tony

There are now growing numbers of people with this attitude, "Leave me alone", and you can understand why. Debt, job losses, being under pressure to work harder, breakups, house repossed, pay freezes, rising prices, Oh thank God I'm retired on a big fat public sector pension.
Tony

Fed up Pedestrian

Fed up Pedestrian

To the OP - if you really are from the country then you will know that it is a pleasant common practice to greet passers by with a "good morning" or other greeting.
Fed up Pedestrian

Outsider all my life

Outsider all my life

Sadly for you complete strangers are not going to be aware that you do not wish to speak to them.Even if you wore " miserable git " you would find at least one complete stranger asking you why are you wearing miserable git...
It sounds to me that you need your own island just like the one richard branson has.....
Outsider all my life