Air fresheners should be banned in public places

I went into a shop last week and found a shop keeper spraying air freshener rather liberally in the shop.  OK, you are probably wondering what is wrong with this - apart from the rather sickly smell?  Well, this person has no consideration for those who have breathing problems such as Asthma or allergies.  Also, there's the fact that this shopkeeper was spraying this air freshener near to people and products in the shop.

I think that these air fresheners in the spray cans and indeed some of the plug-in fresheners should be banned in public places, or even better banned all together.

These products no matter whether they are cheap or expensive simply mask the smells and contain some disturbing chemicals, in other words you are probably breathing in more toxic substances than you would in the middle of a traffic jam.  It is not just in shops where people will use spray and plugin air fresheners, I have seen cleaners, teachers and hotels use these sprays too.  They're everywhere these days.

Spraying air freshener Contrary to what advertisers want us to believe, air fresheners do not 'purify' the surrounding air and they also do not add 'natural' fragrances.  Some of these air fresheners even coat the nasal passages with an oily film or by releasing nerve deadening agents to drown out smells.  Some air fresheners contain benzene and formaldehyde, these and many other ingredients in fragrances are carcinogenic.

Scented and aromatherapy candles are no better at clearing the air, and bear little or no relation to true aromatherapy.  Such candles, are of questionable benefit regardless of the flowery implications of their names, and have negative effects on air quality and health.

Anyway I digress slightly, so in other words I would avoid fresheners and try to open a window or a door to let fresh air in.  Surely some proper ventilation would also allow any nasty smells to escape and is the most sensible thing to do?  Using air fresheners in public areas, especially the ones that come in a spray can, can cause an irritation to those who have breathing problems.  Please consider this and open a window instead!

By: DW

Peds

Peds

How people can be so ignorant to leave a child in a room that stinks of fresheners. Are people become more and more stupid?
Peds

bumperlady

bumperlady

Hi, I can't agree more that these awful perfumed air fresheners need to be banned in public spaces. I have severe asthma that is being made intolerably bad by the overload of stink that is being put into the air now from the fragrances both men and women wear ( that overpower you from miles away), the reeking laundry products that are just as strong and bad for those of us that have respiratory issues, and the final straw, these terrible stinking air fresheners that are being piped into the air everywhere now from shops, waiting rooms, hotels,doctors surgeries, hospitals, and just about anywhere you can think of much to the detriment of many people's health including mine. So bad has it all become that I have to live my life stuck indoors for most of the time while my partner has to get around outside to do our errands. Any time I do have to go outside, my airways close completely up from this poison we are forced to inhale and I have ended up in A&E a number of times. Alas, inhalers are rendered useless in public as before the medicine can do it's work, you are still forced to breathe in the major trigger that is making you ill, and it cancels it out. All closed in places are now my worst nightmare and I feel such empathy for each of you who are suffering the same way. I have tried writing to stores and other places to try to get them to cease using these air fresheners, but as a lone voice they merely ignore it. It needs a big number of us to come together over this to fight, but I have been unable to locate any support groups or campaign groups . A lady has got a petition on 38 degrees to try to ban air fresheners in public spaces which I have signed and shared, but it needs much more support.
bumperlady

madge

madge

I agree too! Thanks for this. On Easter Sunday I visited someone who had one of these wretched air-freshener gadgets in the room (vile IMHO - far too strong - but many people do not seem able to hardly smell it? Are they nose-dead, or what?) - well, I tolerated it as best I could (I have asthma) as this was a social visit and I genuinely wanted to stay and play with the children etc. - but, even with the windows now open (and the gadget taken away) the stuff was still in the air and I began to go wobbly and dizzy, slurred words, shaky, high pulse, couldn't stand up straight, let alone walk - and after about 30 mins I passed out .... my husband took me home at once. I started to feel better as soon as I got into proper "fresh" air ... it's happened to me before - the stuff is like fly-killer for me. I cannot be the only person to suffer in this way. Another nasty for me is the Duty Free zone (and even the Departure lounge sometimes) at airports - really bad - so now I can't go anywhere .... there is scientific evidence now that these spray products are unhealthy.
madge

Lily

Lily

I completely agree.. I have to put up with this at work despite asking if it I could turn it off. Yet another product from commercial giants ruining peoples health. The government need to enforce a ban.
Lily
22nd Apr 16 21:53

Joy

Joy

I agree 100%! Thanks for your "gripe" :).

These dreadful products have nearly killed me on several occasions - just one brief inhalation and my chest goes tight and I feel dizzy and nauseous with a very rapid pulse. The, I have a congested chest for many days afterwards (so bad it has become chronic broncho-asthma in fact - and I have NEVER smoked and I never use scented products of any kind). You're absolutely right that these nasties almost numb people's sense of smell (as do cigarettes) - to make you think the air is "clean". it isn't, far from it - it's a trick - and customers pay for it! About business and money ..... there was one hotel I couldn't even go in - had a dreadful scented air-machine in the foyer. I complained by email and was asked which room I'd stayed in! Haha, couldn't even go in .... And modern deodorants and fabric-conditoner are equally bad. All toxic. Poor old lungs (and hearts) ... imagine poor babies who have to sleep in this bad air? it's bad enough with diesel fumes and smoke in the streets (and in the countryside ...) but in your own home? Yes, just open the windows instead (when you can ...). And let's encourage others to stop buying these poisons. Have you also noticed how scented household products (esp. fabric conditioner) stick to nylon garments? And how they acquired a bad sour cheesy smell if left in a cupboard/wardrobe for a few days? I suspect that under the "nice" flowery/fruity scent there lurks something BAD - possibly the real nasty that hurts our lungs & noses & skin - and then, when we get a whiff of THAT nasty, well, in our ignorance, we are encouraged to douse our things with MORE of their "perfumed products". Best, Joy
Joy
22nd Feb 16 14:55

Nanny

Nanny

I'm agree it should all be ban. My next door neighbour moved in a couple months ago they started using this air plug in and strong smell comes out from they windows and the smell was cause me head each, breath problem every time when I spent time outside of my back yard with my two year daughter and she's got asthma and nose irritated. I asked him to stop using it and tell him the resent why but he said its nonsense and he still keep using it. Me and my little one now can't go out to the back yard as often as before anymore
Nanny

Anosmia

Anosmia

I have a sinus condition and if something irritates my sinuses badly I can lose my sense of smell and therefore taste for weeks at a time. There is no need for these products.

I find that losing your sense of smell and taste is something that even doctors don't understand or sympathise with - people think it's funny and make stupid comments. If it happened to them they might realise how miserable it is to smell and taste nothing
Anosmia

Critter

Critter

Oh I can't stand air freshners. They make me feel like I'm being poisoned, and research shows that's exactly what it is! Poisonous!
I don't like the smell of urine or vomit etc but I actually prefer it to the noxious false-flower sprays and I've felt that way since early childhood. At least the natural stinky smells of humans are not going to damage our lungs.
I have every sympathy for those who cannot tolerate the natural smells though. I do know what it's like to feel sick at a smell so I honestly do understand that people have the need to spray to mask it, but whilst some prefer the spray others have real problems with it.
It's a hard one really.
Critter

Alexa

Alexa

I am one of those shop workers and have to say that I disagree. We buy so much Oust it is unreal. If people would have a wash every day we wouldnt need it. We have no windows that open downstairs on the shop floor and having the door open just doesnt work.

Some of the customers smell so badly of urine and poo that you have to retch. One of our volunteers actually had to go and be sick after serving a woman.

Short of spraying the customers with disinfectant as they come in the door there is very little else we can do.
Alexa

kylena

kylena

I agree with Mio about perfume. I usually find an innocent but very obvious search and questioning about who's been using that foul-smelling fly spray gets the problem solved.
kylena

Kylena

Kylena

I don't suffer with any lung problems. The air freshener in my nearby loo at work, that hadn't functioned since I had joined, was 'fixed' . Thereafter, every week I had bronchitis by Thursday, but it was just about gone by Monday. I soon put two and two together and threatened hell-fire in a very nice polite way and got them banned. They were put in on the grounds of Health & Safety and after I had explained the contents and their potential effects on anybody in the place (about 3000) they were banned on the grounds of Health & Safety. Saved the company money too!
Kylena

Mio

Mio

Yes!! I have been saying this for years - as an asthma sufferer I find it something impossible to even enter shops or other enclosed spaces that are heavily fragranced with artificial scents. Perfume is another one - I've lost count of the number of ttacks I've had on crosded buses where I'm hemmed in by people who smell like they've bathed in perfume >_<
Mio

Sarah

Sarah

As an athsma sufferer I totally agree with this. There have been times where I have purposelly whipped out my inhaler whilst in the company of someone either using an air 'freshner', spraying a deodrant can excessively on a public bus or if someone is smoking nearby me. Trust me, they do get the message.
Sarah

ellie

ellie

Air fresheners ? the words are misleading.

It does not make the air fresh. The spray from the cannister is highly inflammable scented chemical and nothing else. It does not clean or clear but coats fabric and fills the air with chemicals.
ellie

Fedup

Fedup

I agree completely. The only time I ever found myself having a choking fit was in a shop where the owner was spraying air freshner everywhere. I had to leave and get out side gulping fresh air. Never happened before but now I am wary of these dreadful phoney smelling sprays.I agree they should be banned in public places.
Fedup