Women who don't buy a round of drinks

This gripe is probably going to annoy every second person that reads it, but I don't care because I think this is something that needs to be said.

I'm willing to bet that, like me, a lot of you men have gone to a pub or club with a group of both male and female friends and discovered that, whilst men in general understand the British social custom of buying drinks in rounds, most women seem to have failed to grasp how it works. Either this, or they think that they are exempt from it for some reason or other.  Why do so few women get the drinks in when it should be their turn?

I know what you are thinking. 'Don't be so tight', and whatever happened to good old- fashioned chivalry?  Well, my answer is simple.  You can't have equality in only the areas that suit you; it has to be across the board and that includes paying your way in the pub!

Enjoy a free beer ... buying drinks for just herself

An observation that has also been made, and thinking back on a number of occasions it is definitely true, is that when you see a woman at a bar she's usually buying drinks for just herself or for her girlfriend(s).  If there is a man in the group guess who gets the honour of going to the bar and buying all the drinks for the evening?  Let me give you a clue, it won't be the girls, well at least not as often anyway!

However, as my friends and I have discovered after discussing this over a few beers one night, they're not all wallet leeches!  It seems that we all know at least one woman each that gets her round in, and quite often she'll be the first one to the bar.  She will never need reminding that her turn has come and really should be treasured as one of the lads.

Haha

Haha

It's true
I am 65
And just realised what they do.
Most woman in a group never buy a round!
Haha

Busy Pete

Busy Pete

I suspect 'Annoyed driver', 'Annoyed parent', 'Lady drink buyer' and 'Short woman' are one and the same poster. Is this allowed?
Busy Pete

Lady drink-buyer

Lady drink-buyer

Im guessing they just don't feel it's lady like to buy a round of drinks for men. They dont want to feel like 'one of the lads' and therefore wait for you to offer to buy a drink. I'm a lady and no matter who I'm with, even on a date, I would offer to buy the drinks but that's because I feel weird when other people pay for me.,
Lady drink-buyer

capt.

capt.

Are you one of those "MRA's" that feel men and women should each buy each other drinks "Equally"??
capt.

Boblet

Boblet

MSG You presume to much I have not said any of these things other than I go out. The fact that it broadens my horizons is a bonus. As it happens I am an alcoholic, with a bad temper, people tend to avoid me.
Boblet

miserablemoaninggit

miserablemoaninggit

Boblet has a social life because he is a very interesting person whose company people really enjoy. Such an interesting person is Boblet who has a social life with people who enjoy his company. Boblet really is good company who enjoys a social life with other people. Boblet has a . . . . yawn!
miserablemoaninggit

respectful drinker

respectful drinker

I am a woman and I always get my round in. Always. It's not a matter of gender, really. I don't understand the mentality of anyone, male or female, who will stand there accepting drinks off everyone else all night and then shirk their round by going home or suddenly saying they're skint. Or orders expensive drinks when it's someone else's round, but won't return the favour. If you don't want to get in a round, say so when you first arrive. No-one will be offended!
respectful drinker

Boblet

Boblet

Off out to the Grapes tonight we lost last night at doms 2 games to 3, its Bingo tonight, & a bowls meeting but again it is with real people.
Boblet
23rd Feb 11 20:35

Boblet

Boblet

I am going out tonight to the Ring O Bells. The barmaid is good fun, the manager hasn't paid the gas bill so the heating is by wood burning stove. My mate John & I will play Paddy & John2 at fives & threes.
I am posting this in case anything a bit controversial lands whilst I am out in the village world. Touching smelling & listening to real people.
Boblet
22nd Feb 11 20:01

Colonel Ormsby

Colonel Ormsby

The answer is for women NOT to be allowed in bars!

My favourite bar was men only unless the fire was alight.

Then everything changed in 1972!

The bar is no longer a pleasant place to drink and I no longer go there.
Colonel Ormsby
22nd Feb 11 15:58

Foggy

Foggy

Kat, as you're up at the bar mine's a pint. Oh, and don't forget the dry roasted peanuts!
Foggy

Kat

Kat

I always get my rounds in and I am most definitely NOT "one of the lads".
Kat

ajp

ajp

I agree that there are women who do not buy rounds, and, usually, it is not because they do not understand the 'round culture'. They are fully aware of it - they are simply taking advantage. If a woman does not want to be part of a 'round' or cannot afford it, then she should say so. If the men still insist in including her, then that is their problem.

It is simple good manners. Communicate people!
ajp

rob

rob

Just don't commit to those customs that you're not comfortable with, and speak openly and clearly with others about your expectations. If you expect everyone to contribute equally, make this upfront. It's when behaviour goes unchallenged, and people get bothered by it, in silence, that people get away with things that impact upon others.

If more people just spoke up and shared what's in their thoughts there'd probably be less need for sites like this, and the other problem of 'haters' that seems to have become widespread of late.
rob

Megan

Megan

HB's right. The men have had it all their own way down the millennia, so don't expect that a few decades of female assertiveness is enough to reset the balance of the universe.
Megan