People should be fined heavily for dropping litter

"I pay my council tax so they should clean it up!"
"Its not my problem."
"But there are no bins around here, where else am I supposed to put it?"

I personally have heard all of these excuses being used to justify littering, and I dont know if it is just me, but I think that each one of them smacks of entitlement, apathy and sheer lack of pride.  Weve all seen it; the family throwing the remnants of their McDonalds takeaway out of their car window and driving off, the empty beer cans strewn around a park bench on a Sunday morning, the cigarette butts lining the gutter amongst millions of other examples.  Why on earth is it tolerated?

For a start, litter makes a place look horribly untidy but that's only one of the issues that it raises.  Hygiene is a big one, with rats and seagulls being attracted to discarded foodstuffs, and I dont think that I even need to mention how nasty it is to see used condoms, dirty nappies and hypodermic needles lying on the ground where any-one's child or dog could get at them.  Think of the plethora of diseases just waiting to be spread!

litter causes hygiene problems Litter can also cause injury to both people and animals.  Ive heard many a story about foxes getting their muzzles caught in tin cans, dogs choking on crisp packets and birds getting six pack rings caught around their necks.  Ive even had my own litter-related injury.  As a child, I was playing in the park and lacerated my leg after falling onto a discarded, smashed up liquor bottle resulting in a trip to the emergency room, several stitches and a permanent scar.  I wonder if the people who left it there considered that such a thing might happen.  My guess is, probably not.

As for the 'lack of bins' argument, how difficult is it to stuff your rubbish into your bag or pocket or simply just keep a hold of it until you reach a place where you can dispose of it?  Yes, I know that it is inconvenient but I'm reasonably sure that nothing catastrophic is going to happen if you have to hold on to that sweet wrapper for another one hundred metres.  So please, have some respect and consideration for other people, wildlife and your country and dont just throw your rubbish on the ground.

By: Cephalopod

Kenny (site admin)

Kenny (site admin)

Thought I'd post a comment up here, no need for another gripe as it's already been done. Yesterday, whilst walking down the street saw a guy walking towards us swigging from a can of Tennents Lager (that gives you an idea). He finished, then scrunched the can up and just tossed it onto the top of a hedge. There was a bin about 3 metres away from him. WTF?

I walked further down the road and I saw a MacDonalds fries carton, then a little distance down the road was the Big Mac container that presumably was bought with it. Thinking about the road I was walking down I realised that a new drive through MacDonalds had recently opened up. Clearly some slob had driven down the road and having finished their meal tossed the rubbish out the window.

I find it hard to believe that people can just chuck their rubbish away like that. Absolutely unbelievable.
Kenny (site admin)
1st Feb 19 19:05

apyasuo

apyasuo

Littering should be heavily fined because if people keep littering, it becomes a habit and this continues and people keep throwing away trash and this doesn't stop easily. Heavily fining is the key to stopping this habit.
apyasuo

red7575

red7575

bug's suck's
red7575

Danana

Danana

I don't like those bugs, they look so dirty
Danana
2nd Aug 18 03:27

yaynay

yaynay

That is disgusting!EWWWWWWWWWW!
yaynay
2nd Aug 18 03:14

Concerned citizen

Concerned citizen

People that litter disgust me!!!!!!!
Concerned citizen

ali4264

ali4264

true
ali4264

Dave

Dave

The UK is just a jump now. In Singapore if you dare drop litter you'll get a hefty fine plus an extremely painful whip on your asss which you'll remember for the rest of your life.
Dave
2nd Aug 13 11:44

1tylerlogan

1tylerlogan

i believe that teaching your children not to litter is also a way of teaching respect.
it isn't difficult to educate your children to put waste in a bin or in their pocket until they find a bin when no bin is near.
if your town or locale is clean and litter free you respect it more.
1tylerlogan

janieQ66

janieQ66

Litter droppers not only should they be heavily fined but given litter picking duties wearing high visible clothing a bit like naming and shaming. Maybe if they had to o picking someone else's litter they will think twice next time they throw something on the floor.
janieQ66

Dingleberry

Dingleberry

You sir, are overreacting.
Is all this fuss over nothing neccessary
Dingleberry

jonny

jonny

Correction for last comment
Should read........ not full of stupid racist hate for the English
jonny

Jonny

Jonny

I thought that East End of London was untidy until we moved to South Wales RCT area and never in the whole of my born days have I ever seen such a mucky lot as the people who live in south Wales. Never met such a rude lot either. Why the word please seems to forgotten. The young people around here dont seem to have any manners at all. Needless to say we are moving back to England where it is cleaner and the people are nicer and full of stupid racist hate for the English. Of course they never admit it. Butter would not melt in there mouths. We shall never set foot in Wales ever again. Do I here a cheer go up. GOOD. I cant wait to see Wales go independent then watch it go down the swanny. John
Jonny

Girl who is bored of Welsh Bacc

Girl who is bored of Welsh Bacc

I think you should all just calm down.

Give me some research for my personal investigation pleeeaassseee.
Girl who is bored of Welsh Bacc

Fork You

Fork You

Well I think that there should be a new demonstration sport at the 2012 olympics.

"FLY TIPPING"

Rules - Each country gets given a fleet of 10 clapped out transit van tippers, each with a tonne of unrecycleable waste on it.
You have 24 hours to tip the rubbish with points being awarded for more daring locations like MP's homes royal residencies etc and getting away with it.
Getting caught incurs negative points as well as a slap on the wrist and few hours community service or at most a short trip to the nearest holiday camp - ahem, I mean prison.

Those with the most points win...... SIMPLES!

Really its the only sport that we will beat the rest of the world at, given how much CCTV we have in this crowded immigrant overrun $hithole with lazy bone idle councils who should be lined up and shot for not doing once a weekly rubbish collections.

No wonder people love fly tipping - "Why should I pay to have my rubbish collected when I can find a layby in the middle of the night and dump it there whereby it becomes somebody elses problem".
Fork You