Parking on the pavement - it's plain selfish!

People who are guilty of parking on the pavements!  This drives me totally insane.  Why do these idiots think that the safety of their precious cars is more important than peoples right to walk safely?  Park on the pavement at your own risk I say!

My mom was seriously ill and for a while had to use a wheelchair.  Ive lost count of the number of times that we had to wheel her into the road just to bypass cars blocking our way.  Had she had to push herself she would have stood no chance.

And then there are people with buggies and prams. WHY should any parent be forced to cross a road just to avoid some dimwits car?  There have been times when people I know have scratched cars as they have tried to get past.  But still these morons insist on blocking the way.

A car wheel, parking on the pavement

puzzled

puzzled

Mano how can it be legal to mark parking bays on a footpath which by the very word footpath, means to walk on not to park on
puzzled

grumpyoldwoman

grumpyoldwoman

So how old were you when you left South Wales, Joe?
grumpyoldwoman

Tommy

Tommy

And to think , the Romans built the roads for people , their armys , to walk on
Tommy

girlbabar

girlbabar

N The answer is controlled parking zones where all 4 wheels must be withinj the white lines.ear me is aroad where people park with all 4 whels on the road. There is room for a fire engine etc. In my wider road peole park with 2 wheels on the pavement- they say it is to allow large vehicles past! Life is difficult for people with buggies, wheelchairs etc and even more so for visually impaired.
girlbabar
3rd Aug 13 15:57

hauskat

hauskat

What I would like to know is if a car is totally blocking a footpath, is it legal to walk ( climb ) over the obstructing car, rather than walk in the road ? I'm surprised nobody has asked this question yet.
hauskat

mano

mano

Footpath outside my house is marked in bays and is legal to park on. Point I make is that the fact that I park there dose not make me selfish. Get your facts right.
mano

Alf Red

Alf Red

I found this elsewhere.

UK civil engineers – consider ‘pavement’ to be the road.

Footpath means a highway over which the public have a right of way on foot only, not being a footway [Section 329(1) Highways Act 1980]. Generally, this means walking routes away from roads, say in the countryside.

A Footway means a way comprised in a highway, which also comprises a carriageway, being a way over which the public has a right of way on foot only [Section 329(1) Highways Act 1980]. So, in towns and cities, technically, we have footways, not footpaths or pavements.
Alf Red

Alf Red

Alf Red

As a former civil engineer, I was taught that the term "pavement" can be used for either the "carriageway" or "footway", as it may refer to any area that is paved. A "highway" is generally made up of a carriageway, footway and a verge or various combinations of those. So the original complaint was really about cars parking on the "footway"....there's a little clue in the word that shows what it is there for. The term "footpath" is used when describing a right of way, most of these being in rural situations.
Alf Red

Boblet

Boblet

raging kiwi I could not agree more, I would love to post a picture of some of the parking in Bradistan. Yesterday a large Mercedes not your ordinary Mercedes but a big fat greedy one, parked on the wrong side of the road, half on the kerb, then guess what place this selfish @sian chose? A bus stop. I wonder if there is a web site that we could post such examples of M M on.
Boblet

raging kiwi

raging kiwi

Anyone who parks on the pavement is a selfish ba*tard! The pavement is for WALKING on NOT for parking on. And anyone who drives on a pavement is a BLOODY idiot!
raging kiwi

Dragon Keeper

Dragon Keeper

The law on pavement parking seems to be a bit daft. Unless there is some local bylaw, there are only two laws that might be broken. The first is obstruction so if people can get past the vehicle the police might have difficulty in enforcing that. The other is driving on the footway. Although it might seem obvious that a car must have been driven onto the footway, how do you actually proove it unless the policeman actually saw it.
Dragon Keeper

Mr.Blobnuts

Mr.Blobnuts

What do you propose the solution is here then?

Buy a thinner car.
Mr.Blobnuts
1st Jan 12 14:07

Fred E

Fred E

Where I live we have grass verges instead of pavements. Everyone parks on the road without any problems - unless you have a 4x4 and then you have to park on the grass verge and churn it all up.
Fred E
1st Jan 12 12:08

No Choice

No Choice

The streets where I live cannot accommodate cars parked on the road nor do the houses have driveways. Because of this everyone on both sides has to put two wheels on the path (without completely blocking it - I always make sure). What do you propose the solution is here then?
No Choice
1st Jan 12 11:45

raging kiwi

raging kiwi

Idiots who block the pavement with their cars are simply selfish. Why should anyone have to shuffle past some wa*ker's car? Or worse still, step in to the road? If you see a car blocking your path, SMASH the wing mirror!
raging kiwi
21st Dec 11 23:16

Drivers that think they can park their car wherever they please

Crossing the road dangerous due to parked lorry

Pavement parking a danger to pedestrians

Cyclists riding on pavements a danger to pedestrians

Able bodied drivers who park in disabled bays at the supermarket

Car parked across two bays, how selfish is that?

Bad road design creates dangerous parking

Parking problems outside my house

Pedestrian forced to walk on the road

Neighbour parking in front of my house

Car parked outside my house by selfish neighbour

People that won't move over on a narrow pavement