People that won't move over on a narrow pavement

Red Rover, Red Rover does no-one move over?

What ever happened to common courtesy in public?  Something as simple as letting someone pass seems to be an alien concept to a lot of people walking down the streets these days, old and young alike.

I live in an old town and the pavements are mostly narrow and can usually only accommodate two people, (or less) standing side by side.  With busy traffic hurtling past, walking out into the road is not a wise option for anyone who wants to live a long and happy life.

When my girlfriend and I are walking about town, we instinctively move into single file when approaching other pedestrians coming our way.  This is less frequently reciprocated by those coming towards us.

Standing at 6'1 I am not a small person and I'm fairly broad.  I am also fairly hard to miss coming at you on the street, so why is it that people fail to make to move out of the way?  Or almost as bad only half move in, usually just before they get to you.  This means that you need to twist out of the way at the last minute or get clipped by bags or worse.  Due to my size I don't usually come of worst when this happens.  However others such as my girlfriend with a much smaller stature aren't quite so lucky.

A narrow street with narrow pavements Groups of mothers with prams seem to be the worst culprit, walking side by side using their prams as some sort of battering ram.  Move out their way or be mown down.  You have a choice of either stepping out into busy traffic or stepping onto their child.  Either way it's a lose-lose situation.  If you take the third option of moving in away from the road for them to move around you, they give you such dirty looks or verbal abuse about your lack of courtesy.  Would it be so hard to line the prams up in single file?

I was once in the situation where I was walking through a narrow underground tunnel, and when approached by a group heading the other direction I moved to the side.  Not only did they not attempt to make a space for me to pass, but the young lad directly opposite me gave me a look of utter astonishment as I had failed to merge with the wall to let him through.

Do people really believe this is acceptable behaviour?  Have they not been taught the basic manners for a civilised society to function properly?

My advice for anyone else finding this is to always move to the inside, and if needed just stand and wait for them to move around you.  You may get a few dirty looks, but it's better than being hit by a car.

By: Hal's Had Enough

Orpheus

Orpheus

I swear people are getting worse and worse. I too live an old town and there are plenty of narrow pavements. Even if you do walk onto the road (which I try do for people who are older than myself, or have prams on very narrow pavements) they rarely thank you for doing so. I mean the elderly complain about the rudeness of the younger generation but personally I think they are quite often just as bad, in fact they've clearly learnt how to be rude, inconsiderate people from them.

Some people just can't seem to grasp that pavements are not a one way road, that you should show respect and courtesy for your fellow man and woman. Today I was taking a walking when a large family (well the tattooed mother, five kids and a male who could have been the oldest son, brother or partner of the mother...he was aged around 17 to 20). The entire group was spread across the entire pavement (not a particularly narrow one either) grouped side to side with prams, so I try and walk around them hoping that the lad will move in for me, but he's basically using as blackmail the pram to knock me onto the road. As I go past I knock his arm and of course I get a torrent of expletives for doing this. I stop and turn around and ask him what he said to me but when he knows that he of course quietens up and keeps walking. I continue with my walk and am obviously not in the best of moods. Of course I meet the group when I walk back, don't I? I probably should have crossed the road and ignored them but I didn't because to be honest I'm fed up with backing down from such rude inconsiderate people. I ask the lad again what he said to, I was hoping to try and talk to him and ask him if he could show a little more respect. Big mistake, he's red in the face, puffing his chest out, at one point he pushes me in the chest, more expletives. The kids are getting upset and I try and calm the situation down by telling the mother I'm not looking for trouble I was just hoping to ask the lad why he hadn't moved over. Meanwhile he's walking away and sending more expletives my way...in all honestly I could have marmalised the lad but I stayed calm and continued on...I tried to talk to him in a logical and concise way and it didn't work, it became strikingly obvious that he was wasn't very bright and had never been taught the merits of politeness and respect in society. And that's the problem, so many don't understand those merits because it is no longer taught in our schools or by parents. Things need to change on that front, they really do. Society needs to be a better, happier place for us to live in, for us and our kids.

I know nobody will probably read this, but hey at least it helps me get it off my chest. I just wish people could be nicer to each other.
Orpheus
21st Jul 16 16:22

Martin

Martin

Oh what a great blog, seems the bigger you the more they ignore you. Im 6'3" and 17.5 stone.

Today I was in Clumber park with my two daughters and wife, its our wedding anniversary so we were all on high spirits. Walking towards me was a bloke about my height, he looked at me and we both caught each others eye, I am generally always the one to move and I don't usually mind but he saw me and then looked again as we got closer catching my eye again, then as we were a foot or so apart he slowed down, I didn't understand why as it was a really wide (6-8 people) path, I worked out in that moment that this fella wanted me to move and would rather slow down and wait for me to move than actually move himself.

Now most days I would move but not today, hey its my anniversary and he actually saw me coming, this is no accident he wanted ME to move, so I slowed down and just looked at him, no shoulder spin just a good old fashioned stand off, so he looked at me and tutted!

How can this be? After reading this blog I think the comments have nailed it, some people think they simply don't have to show courtesy and its YOU that should move for them.

Now I have a new rule like the poster, I will only move for old people or wheelchairs etc... Im a good bloke and wont change in that respect but rude people are gonna learn a few manners.
Martin
23rd Jun 16 16:32

Lizbette

Lizbette

I feel a bit better and not so lonely, knowing this happens to you as well as me, so thank you and let's try and rise above the clumsy, "glaikit " creatures, as we say in Scotland, who think they are better than they are!

How I wish, l was big and strong like some of you guys who have posted. Hal, Dan, Jimmy Owl to name a few.
Believe me, the pavement would be littered with bodies.

Alas I am female, 112lbs and only 5'2".
Recently I had a heart attack and today, feeling more fragile than normal, I was barged by a beautiful young woman, dress billowing out around her, apparently she was joined at the hip to her handsome boyfriend.
They were holding hands practically at arms length, presumably displaying their plumage, striding along happily, soaking up the admiration of the rest of us.

She shouldered me, knocking me sideways and carried on regardless. I turned hoping she would at least look back, no way. I was tempted to go after her and smack her over the head with my handbag, or simply spit on her frock. However, the grinning pavement cafe onlookers, decided me. No further entertainment for them at my expense.
Wish I could afford a bodyguard....any chance Jimmy
Lizbette

dan

dan

Im 6 foot. 110 kg. Very broad shoulders and yesterday it occurred to me for the first time. No one ever moves over for me. Thats why i did a google search and found this.
Im a supa nice guy and ive now put nrg into observing this.
If females walking together they wont even look or be aware of you so you have to move.
From now on, i will always reasonably allow room, but if they dont make an effort. NO MORE LAST MINUTE SHOULDER TWIST TO AVOID CONTACT!
dan

TJ

TJ

This happens to me as well, one thing I noticed is people tend to avoid bumping into you if you convey an aura of confidence or show some purpose of being while walking down a street. I've noticed this because on my "buzz days", when I'm feeling alert people tends to be more co-operative....I find it too much of a coincidence to believe a persons being amicable, even if most are.

However when I have one of those days - tired after work, breathless shortly after Gym or generally having an all round shitty day and I'm slumped people on the street tend to pick up on that signal - and as sadistic as it may seem use it as a means to have their way against you - if you can pick yourself up and show it in your demeanour then folk tend to be more lenient your way - that's my experience of it.

~ PoorOldEngland - you don't make any sense.....who is "they". I live in London and commute on a daily basis, but I wouldn't generalise to a specific group of people being afflicted by this.
TJ
22nd Jun 13 19:53

ahforfoulkessake

ahforfoulkessake

Hi,
I posted earlier on another gripe similar thing about not having rom to get past and having idiots who either don't know or worse, know but don't care that they're in the way.
I have developed the habit of turning sideways to allow the other person space in a narrow street or alley but if they abuse it and start thinking I am too weak to stand up for myself Id punch them in.
Jimmy the Owl has the right idea, give that bloke a slap to liven him up if he does it another time.
ahforfoulkessake

Bumble99

Bumble99

Oh my god this website is amazing!!! I was barged this morning for failing to merge into a wall, and by a little madam who walks past me every morning with a face on her shooting me evil glares. I have never done anything to her, I dont know her, but for some reason she has a real problem! It left me hoping that she picks on the wrong person and I see her next week with a black eye (and I'm really not an aggressive person normally, but she just brings out the worst in me!)!
Bumble99

MJH

MJH

The people who won't move out of your way are consumed by their own self-importance. Particularly mums with prams..ooo look at me and ..ooo look at my baby. Why?? I don't know you so just move out of my way.
MJH
22nd Oct 12 14:12

hairyfairy

hairyfairy

Reading these posts cheers me up somewhat, because I thought that I was the only person who gets bumped on pavements all the time. I have often wondered if there was a magnet inside me that was attracting morons to bump into me on the street, or perhaps people thinking that I have special powers that meant if they touched me, their ailments would be cured!
hairyfairy

Boblet

Boblet

What really maddens me is, after passing a person I have moved over out of habit. When I remember now I just stop in my tracks, they then have a choice, go around or bump into me.
Boblet

Jimmy the Owl

Jimmy the Owl

This is such a peeve of mine, that I googled it and came across this.

I'm 6"2, 17 stone (about 240lb), and work out. I've decided I'm just going to start smashing people to the pavement, if they can clearly see me and don't seem to be making an effort to move slightly. I'll make an effort if they do, instead of me doing all the moving like I do now.

Also, the other day, I was stood at a bus stop, right to the side of a really wide pavement, and a little man, about half my size and twice my age, just walked straight at me, even though there was loads of space! I'm not having it anymore, I hope he comes past again.
Jimmy the Owl

fedupinwales

fedupinwales

I find in supermarkets, I get knocked into by the staff more than other customers. Best one is when you are trying to pay at the till and pack your shopping at the same time. The cashier at the next till goes off for a tea break (fair play) and barges you out of the way. Why not just say, excuse me, or wait a couple of seconds for you to move?
fedupinwales

springfan

springfan

I went into Town today and rude people are now the norm. I'm 5'4 and always having my arms bumped by people barging past. There are often people about who seem to have no spacial awareness, for instance whilst in a shop a woman just starts walking backwards from a mirror in order to hold a garment up, everybody had to swerve out of the way and she didn't even notice. I would look over my shoulder before I did that, because I realise that a shop isn't exclusively mine. The other thing that gets me annoyed is the people who don't look where they are going or just stop right in front of you on a busy high street.

I was in a supermarket behind a woman and her male partner. It was a narrow aisle and I wanted to leave. They were both walking quite slowly, but that was ok. The problem was she kept stopping still, causing me to get my heels clipped by a trolley behind me (they apologised). There was room to move round but the male partner was walking beside her and they were both ignoring my several 'excuse me please' requests. After another abrupt stop I accidently tapped her back with my trolley, I immediately apologised but got a load of abuse from her rude partner. They both seemed oblivious to the big queue behind them and obviously didn't understand single file.
springfan
23rd Apr 11 00:20

tediousity

tediousity

They cant walk behind their friend for 2 seconds its as if its the worst thing in the world for them.
tediousity

PoorOldEngland

PoorOldEngland

You should come to London. They barge you out the way like you're a piece of crap. Especially if you're white and English.
PoorOldEngland