Car insurance for young drivers too expensive

I am 20 and male with a 10 month old driving license.  Unfortunately this puts me in the same category as a raging drunk drug addict who crashes every 5 seconds when it comes to car insurance premiums.  Why?  Because some people of my age group insist on raging around town like its part of a rally course, big tyres, big exhaust, a deafening stereo accompanied by a screeching engine.  This sort of car does not make you cool, it makes you look like an idiot.

I drive a small old 1.1 litre car and my annual car insurance as a named driver comes to nearly £700, which is quite frankly ridiculous for the kind of car I'm driving.  I don't treat UK roads like a race track because I know better and I have too much to risk.

I am now having to upgrade my car to a pick-up truck as my business involves moving large objects and its more fuel efficient than a van.  However this means my engine will soon be a 2.5i turbo diesel.  It accelerates slower than my old car, is about as fast as my old car and yet is safer to drive (I have a better range of vision and am more likely to be seen plus you can actually get spares for this car).

Car insurance premiums for young drivers Insurance - at least give us young drivers a chance to prove that we are responsible...

The problem I have is that I can only get commercial car insurance whether I wanted it or not and it comes to over £2500!!!  Put it in my mums name the same insurance quote comes to £500.  I understand she has more experience but isn't there some way of differentiating between us few young sane drivers and those irresponsible young drivers who think its the Vauxhall Corsa F1?  Not all young drivers are like that.

I just want a reasonable insurance premium the first time round.  If I were then to have an accident and a claim be made against me then fair enough, hike up my car insurance, but at least give us young drivers a chance to prove that we are responsible.  With hefty insurance premiums like this I can now see why driving with no insurance is appealing to some young drivers.  I could get caught numerous times and still not reach the £2000 mark!

Why do a few people ruin things for others?

mr speedy

mr speedy

it's stupid and the insurance companies are still losing out as we speak, it's because of crash for cash scams and they don't have the money to catch the people doing it because they've spent it all paying lawyers and medical bills for people with non existent whiplash so then they have to charge everyone else to be insured, and guess what, younger drivers are more dangerous because they try to do a clever move and crash, putting everyone else's premium up and shooting up younger driver premiums. Blame the government for letting the foreigners in who are primarily the ones operating cash for crash schemes [watch panaorama]. Oh, and just for info, I've been driving since I was 17, yes I drive faster than I should where it's safe, no I don't have a stupid exhaust and no I've never crashed because I know what I'm doing and I've been riding motorbikes since I was 16 so I know what to look out for before an accident happens. I just don't see why young male drivers crash so much, you all either have terrible car control, aren't looking ahead, or get pulled out on. And if you get pulled out on and you hit that person, you're going too fast, so it's still your fault.
mr speedy
2nd Dec 12 02:36

home made sausages

home made sausages

We all started somewhere! each year passes your insurance gets cheaper, you remember that & I don t think you can go wrong,
home made sausages

Bill

Bill

I know how you feel.
Im 17 i've just passed my test thinking yesss finally freedom, I looked at a quote or car insurance on my peugot 106 1.1L petrol 1200 pounds I thought yeah thats not too bad seeing as what other people are paying, BUT that quote was when I had a provisional licence, now im on a full the cheapest i've found now is 3200 pounds because i've been put into the "Most dangerous category of driving now i've passed" all because I have no experience well according to companies, and tbh I can't bloody afford it to get experience. It's daylight robbery.
Bill
2nd Apr 11 14:05

Alf Red

Alf Red

Driving a car is a privilege, not a right. People should look into the costs before buying a car, because it's no good buying something you cannot afford to run.
Alf Red

FB fiend

FB fiend

They should ask how many GCSE's you have to determine the type of character behind the wheel, or even an interview if it meant my insurance would come under £3000.
FB fiend

Swiftcover

Swiftcover

We need more money for our second homes, don't you know!!
Swiftcover

ufucoffee

ufucoffee

astonished to learn how many kids driving without insurance-that was until I went to insure my 17yr old son.i was quoted(cheapest) £3300! 1Litre VW L POLO-No wonder kids are driving without insurance,WHO can afford that in this current climate! unfortunately had to tell son he has got to wait till his older,to which he replied "but I would have forgotten how to drive by then!"
ufucoffee

Insurance assessor

Insurance assessor

Ok .. For starters, You are a main driver, who is fraudulently claiming to be a named driver to get a discount from the insurance company that you arent actually entitled to ... And you ask why premiums are high???? ... The answer is that insurance companies arent idiots, as you will find out the first time you have to make a claim!
Insurance assessor

kodkod.84

kodkod.84

an irate mum- unfortunately this is a fact of life, we all have to start somewhere and also have to pay through the nose for it. My thinking is that insurance companies deliberately price younger drivers out of the market in an effort to deter the boy racers who probably can't afford it and therefore won't be driving but unfortunately will just drive uninsured which is even more damaging to everyone's pockets.

Believe me the prices do come down, I have never been on my own insurance until 2 years ago having driven company cars since 21 and being a named driver before then. At 25 I now pay £600 fully comp for an Audi A4 2.0T which is on a 10 month accelerator scheme. However when looking at renewal quotes the range goes all the way up to £4000 for some companies!! How each individual company comes to vastly different prices I do not know, but you definitely need to shop around.
kodkod.84
2nd Feb 10 17:42

Congo

Congo

Young drivers are a far greater risk than drivers with proven experience - or so the statistics used by insurance companies tell us. This has been a constant for decades.

Motor insurance covers not just damage to a £800 car (and not even that if the policy is 'third party only') but the potential for a death or serious injury award, NHS recovery costs, property damage and the like not to mention the fact the 'third party' may be driving a very expensive car.

Perhaps 'an irate mum' could tell us on what other criteria and evidence an insurer is supposed to base their quotation for a teenage driver who has held a full licence for just a week?
Congo
2nd Feb 10 16:40

An irate mum!!

An irate mum!!

I totally sympathise with you. My son is just 18 and passed his driving test last week. He has worked and worked extra hours to save enough money for a second hand Renault Clio. After searching every insurance company possible to cover him the end result was a grand figure of £1,600.00, which I might add is third party fire and theft. Bearing in mind the car was purchased for £800.00! I do not believe that all young drivers should be penalised for the idiotic behaviour of the few. My son will be paying £170.00 per month as he was not in a position to pay the full amount and of course the insurance companies add interest for paying this way. One months premiium is nearly a whole weeks wages for him. I believe it is time that all young drivers be given a chance and should they then prove they cannot drive sensibly and crash their car then penalise them - not the innocent ones. Thats my gripe over!!
An irate mum!!
2nd Feb 10 16:16

It's life...

It's life...

I do tend to find that insurers do punish young motorists even the ones that have built up 3 or more no claims bonus. For example a female can pass her test at 24 years old with a no-claims history and they can end up paying less than £500 for full comp insurance (where I live), how is that fair?? If anything they should be paying more for their inexperience!!!
It's life...

Actual reason

Actual reason

Not really that ridiculous, its not the value of your car that you are insuring. You are insuring yourself againt damage to other car users...

Imagine you drove your 1.2 Punto worth £1195 into a £40,000 mercedes and you right it off.

£1800 Insurance sounds pretty good now doesn't it.
Actual reason

chris

chris

no sorry I got that wrong lol
my car cost £1195...insurance £1800!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
chris

chris

chris

you think thats bad my 1.2 punto cost me £1995,
its insurance cost me £1800, its ridiculous!
chris