PlusNet broadband - problems getting connected

I bought a monthly contract from PlusNet online and my ADSL line was finally activated on 15 August.  On the 17th August the internet promptly failed and after spending an hour trying to connect without any success, I realised that there was no way I would be using my broadband connection to work from home that day and rushed off to work (luckily, this time the failure was fixed in a couple of hours).

The following Monday, which is 21st of August, the broadband died again and it has never worked since.  Instead of enjoying a PlusNet broadband service, I have been forced to sit on their customer service help line, (which is frankly useless without an Internet connection as all it does is direct you to their online trouble-shooter) and spent lots of time and energy on sorting out the broadband service problem...

I was told that the cause of the problem was BT lines fault and PlusNet had raised the fault to BT.  I called BT help line and BT refused to help me as BT only deals with this sort of problem directly with broadband providers.

A network connection In desperation, my husband finally persuaded an operator to send an engineer from BT to look at the problem.  I then spent a whole afternoon off work waiting for the engineer - who never turned up.

As there is no way to speak to anyone from the PlusNet support team (as I am only ever directed to leave a message), I rang the PlusNet sales line and was told that they did not know how long it would take for the problem to be fixed.

The Internet is a vital part of my daily work and I cannot afford to wait any longer.  Seeing the hopeless situation, I asked for a cancellation of my account and a full refund as I am paying for a service I am unable to use.  Instead of releasing me from an unusable service, PlusNet demands further £72.00 for line activation and hardware fee, they have refused to give me a migration code or disconnect me and so I am unable move to any other ADSL service.

Apart from calling NTL to install a cable broadband, do I have any other options?  I rang OFCOM for help but all the specialist adviser I talked to suggested I do was to wait for PlusNet to fix my problem which I simply cannot afford to do.

It does not sound quite right to me.  Is there not any industry regulatory body to protect consumers from such unsatisfactory and virtually non-existent services?

By: Mrs Qian

nonaki

I've been a plusnet customer for nearly five years and they used to be good, but after I upgraded to fibre, I've experienced regular line dropouts, every single day, and now the whole o.tetnet and phone connection is lost. They blame Openreach (read: OutofReach) and stopped responding, not an update for days on end, so I think their standard has fallen severely.
22nd Oct 14 08:10

Another angry customer

Don't bother with PlusNet the potential savings are outweighed by the woeful customer service and despite being part of BT shockingly bad communication between PlusNet and BT engineers
1st Jul 14 09:07

Bob Pullen

@jojo,

Sorry to hear about the confusion over the Openreach engineer visits. Are you still having problems getting online? If you are then I'll happily take a look and see if there's anything I can do to help? I'd just need some means of identifying your account like your username or a recent support ticket reference.

Best regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Digital Care.

jojo

signed up for fiber optic with plus net as i had not been happy with sky they missed 2 failed appointments for the engineers visit then came a day later. Installed equipment and left saying that they do not check if my equipment connects to the internet although i couldn't get a wired connection on my pc left and said ill have to call plus net. Wireless seemed to work although slow.After having really slow service slower than my 2mb speed with sky although its supposed to be 52mb on the 1st day thought it must be settling in. When i checked it later on my pc and tablet my phone and husbands phone none of us could get internet at all wirelessly. Tried wired connection and nothing. Phoned plus net for an hour checked line said nothing wrong with line. Connected without router and still no internet. He said my pc had broken !! what? said he couldn't help me any further. Until i dug my laptop out and same thing happened on that. I said my old service had worked fine until they changed the wires ect to fiber. Now i have no internet at all and important thinking i made a big mistake. I work from home and this is a nightmare. I have only been connected 2 days and important wondering if they can't be bothered to fix the issue can i go elsewhere?

Bob Pullen

@Tricia,

The engineer fee is standard fair to be honest. It's a charge levied by BT Openreach themselves and any ISP that uses them will be subject to the same terms. If we didn't tell you about it and you got charged then I doubt you'd be happy. If you've carried out all the diagnostic tests we've asked of you then there's no way the problem can be specific to your equipment so you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

I'm sorry you're having problems though and hope the engineer managed to get to the bottom of things. If you're still having difficulties then feel free to provide me with a support ticket reference from your account and I'll happily take a look to see what I can do to help.

Best regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Digital Care
31st Oct 12 04:10

@Tricia

Hi Mrs Qian
No offence ,but am I glad you are having this problem as it is identical to the one we have been having for the last 6 months.I have just received a call from them now to say an engineer is coming out to inspect the fault ,but if its faulty wiring etc ,I have to pay them £60 for the priviledge ! Never had any faults before with our other providers.I hope you get yours sorted soon ,but I will keep you informed of our outcome,needless to say I would never recommend Plusnet to anyone and will not be continuing the contract with them either.

Pat

Bob Pullen

@miserablemoaninggit,

OK, thanks for the clarification. Leave it with me and I'll see what I can do ...

Best regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Digital Care

Bob Pullen,

Thank you for your comments, including the acknowledgement about the less than desireable nature of my experience with Plusnet, and the fact that a lot more could have been done.
In answer to your question about whether I was using a Apple MAC, the answer is "no", just a windows 7 based computer - primarily built for online gaming.

I appreciate your offer of some reimbursement for the costs incurred when I left. I am still living at the same address. I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you.

miserablemoaninggit

Saw an advert for Plusnet on the TV which included reference to the Which Award. So much for Which. So much for these awards. The advert just makes me laugh! Seems to contradict the great many complaints on The Weekly Gripe, and elsewhere on the internet. I think I know where to put my trust - and I'll certainly not be subscribing to Which.

miserablemoaninggit

Oh, you will not be able to contact me by telephone. Such was the chaos and surreal craziness of my move from Plusnet to BT, I had to have a change of telephone number. BT told me that was the only way of doing it because my old number was still 'tagged' by Plusnet, despite my efforts to get it released. Obviously, I'm not going to leave my telephone number on this forum.

miserablemoaninggit

My user name was frankie67. Any serious attempt to trawl through all the correspondence I had with Plusnet would necessitate quite some time.
The engineer appointment was made on the internet, with the date and time confirmed there and then. I do not recall any follow-up text or email though.

Bob Pullen

@miserablemoaninggit, did you see my earlier replies to you? Did you not receive prior notification of your engineer visit via email or text?

If you provide me with your old account username then I'd be happy to cast my eyes over your account and see if there's anything I can do for you based on your circumstances?

I can't really comment much further without knowing all the details. I can guarantee you that we won't have deliberately left you without service whilst you waited to migrate though.

As I mentioned before, sorry we let you down and it's a shame to see you go.

Best regards,

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Digital Care

miserablemoaninggit

Until fairly recently, Plusnet advertised stressing an award won in 2010. I see that Plusnet have won a Which? 2012 award which I find highly surprising. Plusnet wouldn't even allow me to leave smoothly - at one point I was in a 'limbo world' between Plusnet and BT, with no Broadband service to the extent that I had to purchase a T-mobile dongle to give me temporary access over a period of about a month.

It was surreal to the point that I almost concluded that there was some deliberate vindictivness on the part of Plusnet, before finally concluding that it was just another piece of evidence for a company unable to provide a high level of customer service.

What about the problems with your customer service portal? The fact that if a problem is not addressed immediately, necessitating further input from the customer, it is picked up by numerous different employees, many of them who don't bother to read previous posts, and then give irrelevant answers, often clearly cut and pasted from some body of stock answers?

What about the fact that despite the enormous problems I experienced with Plusnet, including the fact that they got the engineer problem wrong, they still insisted on charging £75 to be released from the contract, adopting a don't give a damn attitude when I decided to leave? This smacks of downright arrogance and does not bode well for any present and future Plusnet customer.

I was lied to when joining Plusnet, as simple as that. I was lied to! I was told that I should get the same speed that I had with Virgin, and then got about half of that speed, and the cop out was the fact that Plusnet had used its speed checker on my line, showing a slower speed. A technicality. Plusnet completely ignored the fact of the reality of my previous speed. In fact, a Plusnet employee admitted that Virgin used different equipment, hence my faster speed with them. I certainly was not told this when signing up to Plusnet!

Healeyguy

Plusnet are appalling. They paint themselves as the friendly local Yorkshire firm with an English call centre (big deal). Firstly they are a subsidiary of BT which may surprise some people. One week after my service began they cut me off due to incompetence on their part. It took 6 weeks, I'll repeat 6 weeks!!! for my service to restored. My speed is again rubbish and there are many sites I can't access because the connection is timed out.
#
You can't contact them by email, only by phone and there is only one number, if you get through you will be on hold for 20 minutes. They will blame you and infer the problem is with your equipment (which In my case they supplied). They will never call you back.

Summary - they are utterly useless.

miserablemoaninggit

Finally given up. I had decided to stay with Plusnet and upgrade to fibre optic. I duly applied, arranged an engineer visit for Wednesday afternoon - the only time I could get back early enough from work. Came home today, BT engineer card left stating that he could not gain access to install the broadband upgrade. According to the engineer, Plusnet had informed him that the appointment had been made from Monday AM. I've cancelled everything with Plusnet - had to pay out £75 to be released from my contract.

Plusnet is shockingly bad - both in terms of sales and customer service. Never again! Their customer service being based in Yorkshire is just as bad - worse in my experience - than overseas call centres.

They keep banging on about a customer service award received in 2010. It is now well into 2012! Thinking of changing your Broadband provider? Take my advice based entirely on experience - Plusnet is definetely a PlusNOT!

miserablemoaninggit

BT Infinity has arrived in my area and I need to join to get more than a dismal speed. Plusnet - being part of BT themselves - have offered to upgrade my service to superfast broadband at a more expensive cost than BT, and I would need to be tied into an 18 month contract with them. The thought of committing myself to a relationship with Plusnet for an additional 18 months is horrific. I would have to pay out £65 to be released from the current contract with Plusnet, even though the salesman confirmed that the move from Virgin in the past to Plusnet has resulted in lower speeds because of the different equipment being used. It makes no difference when I pointed out that I should have been told this when enquiring about changing providers. They are liars and cheats! "Good, honest broadband from Yorkshire" the adverts say. What a load of complete tripe!
3rd Mar 12 07:03

fleen

That plusnet are aq joke i have been off line for 4-5 days now ,its a BT fault is all they say if its not sorted sooner than later "The Judge" from the Sunday mail is the one i am contacting next so be warned
2nd Jan 12 09:01

miserablemoaninggit

Managed to get Plusnet to send out a BT engineer. Nothing resolved. Now Plusnet are just ignoring me. I cannot believe how poor the service is! I've been with a number of Broadband providers over the years, but Plusnet is proving to be the absolute worst. I shall never trust again the statement 'award winning Broadband'; it is completely meaningless. Plusnet are the same, indeed worse, load of old rubbish as the rest of them. Avoid them like the plague. Terrible!

miserablemoaninggit

Speed now dropped to 1.3mbps, takes ages to get through to customer service on the phone, not much hope when I do. Since joining about 6 weeks or so ago, there has been little stability, slow speeds and very poor customer service - disinterest, the same pre-prepared stock answers you would expect from overseas call centres, not Yorkshire. The only real option they are presenting me with is to pay out £90 to get out of the contract with them, which makes my blood boil. Be warned The Weekly Gripe readers, stay away from Plusnet if you are thinking of changing Broadband suppliers - that advertisement emphasising its base in Yorkshire etc is misleading.

They are certainly no better, and in my experience they are far worse, than the rest of them!

ihateemsomuch

Thanks Plusnet for the slowest speed I've ever had with my broadband line! Slow and unreliable and useless for gaming.
1st Dec 11 06:12

miserablemoaninggit

I'm still astonished at how poor Plusnet is. The speed has dropped yet again - almost certainly because of their use of the BT network equipment. There needs to be an easier way to get out of these lengthy contracts when providers fail to give the service promised, especially when it was confirmed that the service would be at the same standard as that received by a previous Broadband provider, in this case Virgin. Be warned, be very careful before joining Plusnet - they are not what they make out to be!

ex plusnet member thank god

plusnet use the BT network and their equipment and a lot of it is rubbish. They're just BT under another name and I know 2 people who left them as soon as they could. It takes ages to get through to customer service and even then they aren't much better than those Indian call centres.

miserablemoaninggit

Plusnet are clearly slowly sliding into the same stagnant pool of inefficiency, inflexibility, poor customer service and general malaise that seems to be the plight of all providers of Broadband and/or telephone services. Basically, they've become victims of their own success - a Yorkshire-based company is the claim but the reality is that BT have bought them out, so Plusnet is essentially BT, that huge monolith of a company that is the blight of so many people's lives. Plusnet? Plusnot!
23rd Nov 11 08:11

angry plusnet customer

Plusnet have turned off all websites held on the cgi server so all websites using this service are now showing a 404 error and will be dropped from search engines such as google. They should have ensured that a 503 error was returned while the server was down to insure listling in google were maintained. Their portal says the outage would be for 2 hours, it's been at least 7 hours now and my three sites are still down. I am a business customer and when I phoned and asked why business customers were NOT informed of the planned outage via email all I could get from the Customer Support Guy (thats a joke in itself) was it was posted on the portal, do they realy think business customers have time to continualy look at that, whats wrong with just emailing them.
22nd Nov 11 07:11

miserablemoaninggit

I've been with them for about a month now and it has been somewhat mixed. The usual problems with Customer Service using pre-written, 'stock' messages to response to very specific queries, thereby not actually answering the question. Also, trying to speak with the 'low-level' customer service operatives who are not particularly intelligent, who then have to contact 'supervisors' who also are not particularly intelligent, and then hitting a metaphorical brick wall. As with many companies, it is the minority of very good customer service representatives who manage to keep things - eventually! - afloat by shunning the non-specific responses and actually 'listening' to what the customer has to say. I'll see how it goes for now but I may well regret moving to Plusnet. However, what real alternative is there? We end up moving from one rubbish company to another, paying out hard-earned money for a service that is much less than that promised - a bit like a change of government; rubbish, followed by rubbish, followed by more rubbish, none of them actually 'listening' to the electorate because, as former public school boys, they know what is best!
31st Oct 11 05:10

Broteborde

I've been with them for a year, we've been through 3 routers, some technical problems, a few billing mistakes and a horrible costumer service relationship. It's felt like a bad marriage so I have payed £85 to get rid of them and feels like freedom. Sadly but true, I thank goodness I've had the extra cash, I could have buy myself something nice but to see me free from them is worth it!
31st Oct 11 09:10

A journalist

PLUSNET broadband are a company I would never deal with! I signed up for a package online. Their rubbush system insisted on asking for a MAC code. I do not need one. I emailed them twice to tell them it was not required. a week went by. nothing two weeks and I keep getting text messages (to which you can't reply) telling me I am on hold waiting for a MAC code.

I phoned them. waited for 5 minutes then I am re-directed to customer services. No reply after many minutes. This is just their sales! God knows what it must be like to actually use their service. No doubt the directors are pleased with themselves and pay bonuses to themselves. Shareholders please note.
3rd Oct 11 05:10

medina

We have been with plusnet for just under 6 months and it was great at first with nice speeds,but then we moved house and took plusnet with us.
As soon as the line was activated i noticed drop out speeds from 5gb to 48kbs i rang them up and they were quick to pronounce the modem was faulty and sent the new modem to my Previous address,i mean how stupid was that i transfered the line to my new house with them for gods sake.They also said it was B.T's fault at exchange for over crowding it so they got B.T to investigate the problem but there is no problem according to them.So i requested an engineer to come look at my line but instead of doing this they are saying its my wireless connection,but this is totally rubbish as i use it hard wired with ethernet cable. I just wished i had of left my line at old house and gone with cable.

pdoll

We have been with plusnet for nearly three years now, and up until this year have had no problems. This year we suffered the dropped connection fault that a number of people have mentioned - the router would connect for a maximum of two minutes, then drop, then log in, then drop..... we were told it was a faulty router, but we had tried three different ones, AND double-checked one of those on our neighbour's ISP and it worked fine. Plusnet then sent out a new self-authenticating router and that seemed to sort the problem, so we hypothesized that plusnet's software was looking for some form of self-authentication on login (or something...). However, 6 weeks after installation of the new router and a rock steady connection, the same thing has happened again. Plusnet report that a BT engineer has jiggled the line card at the exchange and that does seem to have done the trick for now, but if it happens again, we'll be walking.
22nd Jul 11 10:07

artuk

Plusnet was so bad I paid £50 to get out of my contract, they then confirmed I had a months service left but cut off my broadband and told me they would only let me have dial up for the last month. Customer service by email simply sends auto resposes out telling you to read the faqs and closes the complaint ticket as 'completed'.
Paying the £50 to get out was well worth it.

Dean

I am a Plusnet option 3 business customer, I am having the same problem with Plusnet at the moment myself. I have been waiting for Plusnet for 3 weeks now to fix my broadband fault. They always seam to place the blame on BT, and I hate it when they do that. They also blame my hardware which is less than 6 weeks old (recently upgraded to high end Cisco hardware). So 3 weeks into the fault ticket they have sent a BT Openreach PSTN (phone engineer) and they say that they have sent a BT broadband faults engineer to the exchange to change a possible faulty line card, and upgrade me to ADSL2+. So since this engineer has visited the exchange, I went from having a really crap connection to having nothing at all. The strange thing is tho when I log into my router I see a Sync speed of 888888Kbps up and 4577000Kbps down, so thats not right ether. Again I made a number of calls, where I was told because of the easter holidays I would have to go without my internet (which my business relys on) until the faults team return on Tuesday morning. I am really fed up and to add insult to injury they said to me if I pay an extra £9 (12 months contract) per month I can get BT's 3 to 4 hour fault responce time. I am not going to pay Plusnet another dime until they fix the concurrent issues on my service.
22nd Apr 11 01:04

ihateplusnet

if you would like to have a good old rant and have plusnet try and dig themselves out a very BIG! hole then please come and post your comments on the blog website opened just for customers to come and complain http://ihateplusnet.blog.co.uk
22nd Apr 11 12:04

Dean

21st Apr 11 11:04

charl37

I am having exactly the same problems. Plusnet were supposed to activate my broadband on the 8th April..it is now the 19th April and still no service. I have made loads of phone calls...they told me the router must be broken, then they said there was a problem with the line and that they would test it and let me know. They didn't. I asked how much longer I am going to have to wait and they said they didn't know, could be days, weeks, who knows. I work from home (self-employed) and have lost about a thousand pounds in income and stop working for three weeks, with no end in sight. I don't know how they get away with it. Absolutely disgusting.

baldmechanic

Well plusnet what can I say??, I have been with them since 1999 (force9 then) and has reasonably good service till september last year, we live up on the mountain and a fair way from the exchange, my top isp speed was 448kbps, pretty happy with that, but somebody cut down one of the telegraph poles for firewood, now no end of problems loads of discoonection everytime the phone rings and low low speeds and today to make matters worse, bt/plusnet have said there is no more we can do as you are to far from the exchange, so like it or lump it :( or fork out £5000 to have your line put underground.
2nd Apr 11 07:04

TBShaw

I have the same problem as Mrs Qian with Plus Net.
I do not have a solution and am now looking for a new provider - they used to be ok but as someone else suggests they have expanded too rapidly and standards have slipped - shame - they are going to take a PR hit - foolish management.
I would not recommend them as they are not able to provide a decent service now.
31st Mar 11 09:03

Scorpiogent

I have been with Plusnet for 3 months now, moved away from TalTalk thank goodness, as their customer service was not good, nor was their line service. Initially Plusnet was good with good speeds and an excellent line, but has since degraded to a .23mbps download speed and a .36mbps upload speed. The line is still good. What I want to know is, if Plusnet can supply 2gps when I started with them, why can't they maintain it? The internet customer support system works, but they don't seem to actually do anything about reported problems. I will now be looking for a replacement supplier

windyjam

Ive been with plusnet for just 2 months and there service is absolutely rubbish my internet speed is a mere 0.98kbps not even dail up speed ..and they take ages to answer the phone and when they do they cut you off and when I re dail them they make excuses that its my equipment ....how the hell they are in business I dont know..a yorkshire firm that should stick to shearing sheep...i cant wait to get away from them they make me puke,,KEEP AWAY FROM PLUSNET

Trevor Jones

I know how you feel - I purchased a 12 month contract which went live on 8th March but the wireless connection keeps dropping off every couple of minutes. I've spent hours trying to get through on the phone which is never answered and have had to resort to e-mails. Final outcome is that Plusnet say line is stable therefore problem lies with my laptop - funny I never had this problem with o2 or any hotels I stay in while away on business. Have now cancelled contract at a cost of £64.50 and am waiting for Virgin media to install on 31st March. Ofcom have advised me to contact Cisas which I have now done and they are investigating but say that I should get a refund as Plusnet can't cure the problem. I sugeest you contact Cisas too as there is nothing to lose and everthing to gain

I Know

Sounds very much like Plusnet, especially of alate they have gone too big too quick and have poor mangers now working there. Was a good ISP now Talk Talk look good.

maria .w

I would write a letter to trading standerds and get them involved then a copy to head office and tell them if its not sorted ,you will go to paper and give them bad press.
22nd Jan 11 02:01

kate

Plusnet - really liked the sound of them broad band without a contract - phone line without a contract - just what I needed as I am in the country only a few months. Too good to be true I thought so I checked several times via phone then took up the service - when I left a few months later they charged me a 25.00 joining fee and a 25.00 leaving fee.When I queried this thay said all the information was on the website. I made enquires by phone beacuse I had limited access to the internet which was why I was trying to buy some. With the cost of the router - £40.00 this came to a very expensive few months. NB the set up fee is failry clearly posted on the website - you have to search for the information about the cancellation fee. Niether of the above points are vaild when dealing with the sales team by phone. Please check all they say very carefully.

Lex

We have since over a week now had problems with our connection with slow to non internet connection.. First guy on the customer support said "oh, your line is fine and you should have perfect connection. Must be your router that is not working" After trying to explain that I am more than qualified to say if its working or not and trying to explain there must be a line fault he just said "try speedtest, I cant stay on the line with you longer since Im busy".. So no help, no luck.. Next guy I tried talking to said "oh there looks like there is some errors on the line but I cant say what, we will run diagnostics bla bla bla" Later I get a sms saying "we are testing your line, you will be contacted within 24h".. Havent heard a word from them, and its been days now.. Still no internet..

Rees

Keep clear of Plusnet. Yesterday they charged my account for an anti-virus service I don't have from them and which they even emailed some weeks ago and agreed not to charge me. Told them and sent documentation. May as well talk to the cat. In fact I'd get more sense.

Plusnet are technically dumb, customer care stupid and PR obsessed.

If that is Yorkshire honestly think I'll stay this side of the county border

Douscot

PlusNet does have one thign goign for it - it is not Talk Talk. No matter how bad you think your current ISP is, try Talk Talk and see how you feel.

Rees

No plusnet email service for hours this morning (18th DEc 2010) - another botched "upgrade" by them

dead right, Stuart - complete technical incompetence. Do they hold their hands up and immediately admit it? Do they hell! Plusnet are all spin and PR.

Rees

Plusnet are a sham. Do not be fooled. They believe that this hype about being an honest, down to earth Yorkshire company is a great promo idea. Trouble is, there is no substance to it. ISPs are judged when things go wrong. In this respect Plusnet will be a big disappointment to you. Dare criticise them and they just stuff cotton wool in their ears and go "wibble, wibble, wibble" Don't get sucked in. Look somewhere else.

Stuart

Shezma

I am having identical problems to those outlined above. I am horrified to hear of the lack of support from both Plusnet and Ofcom. Can we start a user group. I hate Plusnet.

How do we move forward.

Shezma

Back to bloody BT I suppose

Plusnet Brodband went live in my house on 4Nov and died on 5th
After 15m wait some with their "support" dept who said it should be fixed by 8th Nov.
Me thinks my association with Plusnet wont be lasting too long

2Knight

I have my phone line from BT. I ordered a Plusnet broadband later. At the exact day that they said my broadband was ready, the telephone line went down. BT says it is not their fault. Internal wiring is checked by an electrician and is fine. I can only suspect that Plusnet has done something wrong. But no one takes responsibility. Any similar experience?
21st Oct 10 01:10

Adam J

Every so ofter one of these ISP surfaces. They promise the earth for nothing. But the fact is that they can't deliver unless nothing goes wrong. As soon as you have a problem you are at the mercy of BT. You are also at the mercy of a totally undermanned Customer Cervice Centre.

Tony

Plusnet is total rubbish. The reason it is cheap is that is usless. They depend on BT lines which need to be serviced by BT. If theres a line problem you will have to wait until BT decide to fix it. just another cheap ISP that doesn't work.

bendipa

Hm! I joined Plusnet just 2 weeks ago, and so far have not had any real problems. I always connect first time and have speeds ranging from 6Mbps to 7Mbps, which I'm happy with. Getting through to customer service is quick and is on a freephone number, you don't have to use the 0845 one.The only gripe I have is thatI've found their technical department to be pretty useless and it's clear when after speaking to them that they haven't much of a clue.to sort out any technical problem outside the common 'plusnet ones'. So you need to be pc or network savvy or rely on a colleague who is, if serious problems do arise..

Another angry customer

I think what the plusnet tells its customers is mere bullshit. I've been with them for over a year and up to August 2010 their service was excellent. However, following their huge advertising campaign for new customers over the summer with a very tempting offer of £6.50 a month they must have had a great response given the current financial climate. As a result plusnet has far more customers than it's servers and/or infrastructure can handle. whatever excuses they give us is pure bullshit. Time to change provider.

Eddie the Gent

I tried to change to Plusnet, but did not hear from them until my contract with another supplier was nearly up, approximately 1 month later. I then chased them for service and every time was connected with somebody who found it difficult to have a meaningful conversation and who kept telling me that they would have a word with their suppliers regarding the problem. They couldn't understand that I was furious with lack of information and could not put me through to a supervisor who may know a little more of what was going on. I said I couldn't continue with a company who immediately take your deposit for a service and then don't give you anything in return. I have never come across service or lack of service like it and have suggested to them that they all need to go back to the drawing board, but obviously that fell on deaf ears. Luckilly I have been able to salvage my account with a certain bearded gentleman's company, who were only too pleased to help and actually re-negotiated what I pay to them. Avoid dealing with Plusnet, they are useless and stick to the main line operators who control their own destinies.

wizard

Been with Plusnet since 2007, have an iMac. Used to be a good service, and they understood Macs as well. which meant most of our local Mac users signed up with them. But this year I've been having problems since May; a little window comes up asking me to re-set my router, which I only tried once as it didn't help. I could usually get connection again in 10 mins or so.
But this month, August, I've had horrendously interrupted connection, worse than my old Dial-up on an 10yr old computer! Been unable to even send Emails for much of the time. Found that Plusnet operatives no longer understand about Macs. They don't even understand their own services, and often they contradict each other's advice. At my 3rd complaint, last weekend, I got told to go out and buy a new microfilter, which I refused to do. Actually that day BT was fixing our local exchange(Swanage), which they hadn't even warned Plusnet about. Eventually a manager called back and promised me compensation for the disrupted service this August, but she wanted to see how BT got on first. Since then, I've heard nothing from Plusnet. I'm not optimistic of success, when I read the horrendous posts here on your site!

Ms Whittaker

I have had the same problem but worse, and been charged huge bills, trying to sort the matter out has proved virtually impossible, I am out of pocket had interupted service, find it impossible to find anyone to help me, can you advise?

zeus

weel guys and girlks sorry you have had probs with plusnet as I have been with them for other a year and its the best connection ive ever had runs at 6 meg all the time never disconnects and compared to my last 3 other broadband compsnys ive been with plusnet come out tops every timebut the customer service does suck badly you cant understand them whats happened to all english workers none can speak english good and the 0845 numbers are a total rob why should you pay to phone them about a fault at there end

William

I've had a very similar - and equally appalling - service from PlusNet. Probably the worst customer service experience of my entire life... which these days is really saying something.

What really annoyed me the most - besides the connection fee, the incredibly slow speed and the ridiculously rude customer service team - was their website. Supposedly easy to use; the thing is a maze of sections and buttons and forums and ticket systems and fault query protocols. Considering what a basic premise the internet is, the convoluted and (deliberately I think) confusing customer website is frankly unbelievable. Especially when you consider that it's 2010 and these companies have been operating the same basic services for many years now. The only conclusion I could reach was that they have made the website so deliberately complicated in order to make you phone their 'Help' lines... which are obviously ALL 0845 numbers.

This all starts to make a little more sense when you come to find out that PlusNet is actually owned by BT. It explains why the customer services team have you on hold for 35 minutes (no exaggeration) and why all their numbers are 0845... this brings in a huge revenue for BT, obviously.

I'm so annoyed with myself for not doing more research into this terrible company before I signed up. I've had such bad experiences with BT in the past, such an old and useless company, stuck in the past and still treating customers like turd. I'm so annoyed with OFCOM for allowing a company like BT to re-brand it's crappy products under a new name and ship them out as PlusNet... how is this not against the rules that OFCOM are supposedly there to uphold?

So angry. Thanks for whoever owns this blog - I just found it by typing the words: "avoid plusnet like the plague" into Google.
1st Jul 10 01:07

Trudi

Following on from yesterdays post, I have called the Plusnet Cancellation Team today to ascertain why they ceased my line. I spoke to the representative who ceased my line and he claims that is what I wanted. Why the hell would I want to cease the line and make it even more difficult to get access to broadband by not using the MAC code? I asked to speak to the representative's manager and I then phoned again and spoke to someone else and quite frankly Plusnet do not care. The guy covered his colleague saying "oh very sorry there appears to have been confusion blah blah...".

After having another pointless conversation with Plusnet, I have contacted Ofcom and explained the situation. Ofcom are going to lean on someone senior at Plusnet, so I should get a call in the next five days. Either way though, I am still without broadband for longer than anticipated, and I believe that the customer representative at Plusnet may have done this out of spite because I made it clear in no uncertain terms that I wanted to leave Plusnet.

So... despite explaining again to Plusnet that I have mobility issues and work from home and require a stable broadband connection. Their customer representative has viciously ensured that I will be unable to access broadband for even longer than necessary because I made it very clear I wasn't going to remain a customer and wanted to move suppliers (all of which I had one five days before anyway),
but allegedly the guy may not have checked my file.
21st Jun 10 06:06

Trudi

DO NOT USE PLUSNET

I originally had ADSL1 with Plusnet and was a previous customer and had been happy with their service. In May 2010 I upgraded to ADSL 2 as I was a heavy user, and as soon as the switch happened, I experienced connection problems. I was without broadband for seven days, and then magically it worked again for seven days before disconnecting again. Plusnet technical dept. informed me that it would take 48 hours to find out what the problem was, they refused to send out an engineer. Now I am partially disabled (lower limb issues) and work predominantly from home. I cancelled the service and they charged me £80.00 cancellation fee and took another five days to send a MAC code.

With my new Mac code I went to my new BB provider, only to find out today that Plusnet have disconnected my current broadband (removed the tag) even though the MAC code is supposed to prevent any disconnection issues. As a result of this, my new broadband is going to take another week, so all in all I’ve been without broadband for nearly a month. Plusnet customer service is very sorry, but maybe the Mac code was faulty/incorrect, or it could be a whole host of other reasons.

Don’t use Plusnet, the company has no soul and is ethically unsound.

blobby47

same problem new to plus net .cant deliver gone back to virgin waiting for them to chase a unreasonable bill ..their departments dont comunicate within.
you get what u pay 4 . not a lot

blobby47

avoid plusnet like the plague, just cost a bt line installion fee. could not sort b/band despite hours on fone .now want cancellation fee of £50 and £40 for a rubbish thompson router. gone back to virgin cable. they have customer service problems to but at least they can deliver.
PLUSNET is rubbish,you get what u pay for I guess

Neilyboy

I have had consistantly slow internet speeds for over 6 weeks.I cannot get music u tube or download videos. I am paying £11.99 monthly and only getting very slow broadband. After numerous phone calls and emails. I want out. How do I do it?

paqize

@paul - I believe your statement "I believe your statement "they are nothing but scammers; they have software that disconnect customers from the internet and lie to customers" has no basis in reality whatsoever." has no basis in reality whatsoever.

you clearly believe in magic, paul.

Paul

@paqize - I believe your statement "they are nothing but scammers; they have software that disconnect customers from the internet and lie to customers" has no basis in reality whatsoever.

Ed

Never get the pro product unless you want to compromise on speed.

maurice

I have use plusnet in 2 locations in north london, and they both suffer from severe sluggishness, particularly during the day.
Looking at speed test results, it is crystal clear that plusnet is forcing too many users onto services that are over-stretched.
Since I have tried on a few ocassions in the past to get an answer from plusnet, and failed to get any sort of satisfaction, there is nothing to do except stick with this low quality organisation, or else go to the hassle of changing to another provider, who may or may not be equally poor.
These exploiters seem to have strung us all up.....but how on earth can we fight them?

Majordog

Plusnet =disgrace. I ordered a phone line and broadband from them on 13/4/10. I was promised would take 3 days, there was a stop line at my property and there was no connection fee, no need for an engineer to visit. I was given a price which I accepted. 3 days later, at COB on Friday 16th April I was sent an email simply saying "due to a delay your order has been held up.... for between 7-10 working days and possibly a further 5 working days after that". I called Customer Services for an explanation (FYI all Sales lines are UK based, when you sign up you are then dealt with by a South African call centre). I was told there was a delay and nothing more. When I called on Monday morning, I was told (after a 15 minute wait on the phone to South African call centre) that I would have to speak to Customer Service retention in the UK to cancel my a/c, after the explanation again was unsatisfactory. I was finally informed they had a problem with BT wholesale regarding my phoneline.A plusnet agent had disconnected the line so it was no longer simple reactivation of a stop line - according to them. I was also informed they used the same data and got exactly the same information as BT Retail, who wouldn't be able to deliver either. Long story short, I was now being asked to cough up for a connection fee even though this was Plusnet's fault for not checking with their wholesale supplier - AND their fault for disconnecting the line. When I told them I wouldn't pay, they claimed they were losing money on the account so they couldn't honour it. I can't control their offers or business model - neither is it my fault they decide to make these offers without checking with their own supplier and cost base first. You'll be glad to hear BT were good as their word with me, and simply reconnected a stopline at the property today - no call out fee, no engineer, no connection fee, no disconnected line.
21st Apr 10 11:04

Slim

The worst service I have ever encountered.
Avoid.
Customer service non existent, terrible on every level.

taffy

plusnet is a scam they waste your time ,money do not go any where near they like to money off people and give nothing but grief , its like being on dial up its total crap they should be removed from any service to broaband users

allanpeter

I must agree totally with you. I have had perfect service from Metronet for many years, but when I tried to change to a better but less costly service from their owners, Plusnet, I was given a complete 'run around', with service calls taking - well I don't know how long to answer! I am on the phone waiting as I type this at 11.30 at night. I have been waiting for 20 minutes.Reading your comments, Mrs Qian, have convinced me that it is better for me to either accept the current situation and stay with Metronet, or to move to anotherice provider.

dug*

Could not agree more, only had plusnet for 2 days....failed...wireless signal is so week it will not work within 2ft....anyone ever been able to speak to a real person at plusnet...unless you are buying from them....!! rubbish of the highest order...i guess you get what you pay for..
3rd Dec 09 08:12

JCo

Same here. Connection lost every few weeks. It goes down for a couple of days at a time. Plusnet always go through the same rigmarole (it must be my fault after all) then say they can't find a fault, it must be BT. But it comes back after a couple of days by itself, and never gets to the stage of being reported to BT, so nothing ever gets fixed. I think the ADSL technology is highly suspect. I would change to Virgin Media cable, but hear that their customer service reputation is among the worst.

minusnet

plusnet are absolutely 100% total rubbish , I have 'suffered' their services and they need to be shut down by their owners BT, total crap

Karjoy

I've had a similar problem with my internet. We switched from Tiscali ( who had served relatively trouble free for over 10 years, but recently have had billing problems with them) to Virgin on Monday 10th August. All worked well untill 8pm on Saturday 15th August, since when we have had no internet service at all. I feel like I am banging my head against a brick wall with this. Virgin say they have investigated their end and all ok so fault is with BT line. BT say line is ok...we use it as our main telephone line and it does indeed seem to be working. I feel I am between a rock and a hard place. Surely Virgin have broken their terms of agreement as they are not/unable to provide the service they are being paid for??? Can anyone else advise please??

Plusnet stinks !

I too have problems with Plus Net, I dis continued service after incurring a huge £192 to move my account when I moved then when I moved again I cancelled the service completely, they did not acknowledge my letter until 4 weeks later which came demanding £148.09 which they claim I owe. There was no activity in the last month of the contract, they want to charge £20 disconnection and £50 for a router thats worth £2 and is 16 months old.....avoid like the plague great sales team but your lucky if you get anyone who speaks english or fixes problems thereafter

dgirl

Zen internet are the only ones worth using. Great customer service as they are a small company, and we've never had any problems - I would recommend them to everyone!

The DooD

I've been using PlusNet for a while now and I keep noticing how the internet speed slows down to a practical halt during the peak hours (when I actually want to use it), and going fairly fast during off-peak times. It's getting really annoying and I want to switch providers to someone who can give me an adamant connection speed.
23rd Sep 08 08:09

LARRY1066

I have been using Tiscali for 5 years now and found thier service to be great. They have
always responded via internet and phone with any help I needed.. Any problems that I have had
have been related to the BT phone line at the local exchange.

georgez

Hi,

I know the anxiety / frustration you are experiencing. Plusnet are however one of the better broadband providers. If the fault lies with BT, it will make no difference who you go too as they all use the same underlying BT wholesale products. At least you get to speak to someone you can understand! It is only when you deal with REALLY BAD service departments like Tiscali that you get to understand what truly horrific service really means.

Hope your braodband gets fixed soon.

Lily

I had big problems with Plusnet in 2006 mainly because my connection kept on cutting out and then the promise of up to 8mb - when we were barely getting 2mb. After several weeks of phoning and trying to get through (incidentally after experimenting I found that 7am was the best time!!) I gave up and tried to cancel my account. I sent a couple of letters (registered) got no reply so could not migrate. In the end I just cancelled the DD with bank and went with BT on a different phone line. Having said that the speed is now no better but at least I get straight through to there Customer Service dept. I beleive that all the sales talk about amazing speed is a big con and am suprised that there is no regulatory body.
22nd Dec 07 05:12

Disgruntled

I have been a Plus Net customer for over 4 years and have found their service to be generally satisfactory. However what does annoy me greatly is the fact that they are advertising an "Up to 8MB" connection and only providing at the present time a connection which is capable of downloading at a rate of between 450 - 700 kbps.

The reason for this is that our BT telephone line has an IP Profile of only 750 kbps as we are located approximately some three miles from the exchange. Plus Net is in fact owned by BT and is therefore a subsidiary Company. Consequently I feel that it is unfair that in many speed issues Plus Net blames BT and vice versa. It is surely up to BT to improve their telephone lines by investing some of their vast profits in the infrastructure so that everyone can benefit.

It would be a much fairer policy if customers were charged according to their IP Profile as opposed to the blanket charges being made for speeds which cannot possibly equalled as they are capped by the IP Profile allotted to each telephone line.

llk

is that adsl is a rubbish service and does not work as bt new from the start and was supposed to work on only one wire and having a dacs on the line will cause it to drop out 4 5 times a day also having the old phone lines with the bell wire will drop the line out also check the exchange bandwidth limits as they only alow 5mb +
22nd Jul 07 03:07

Josie64

moved house in sep 06 , requested a house well in time of the moving date and PlusNet said that the phone line would be connected on 22nd ( 2 days after moving) , fast forward to beginning of November , still no phone line - no internet , nothing but a very large mobile bill! , in the meantime thay had taken £48 out of the bank account ( fraud , isn't it taking money without giving a service?) so I cancelled my DD and yes you guessed it they have sent me a bill for £105 , for what I have had no service from them since 20th sep, so they have sent me a letter from CCN a debt managment place , so I told them I was not going to pay and I will see them in court , I will send back their crappy modem which only worked like PlusNet , when it felt like it !!

hmmm

I have been a Plusnet customer for a couple of years - the service has always been excellent. Recently there havew been some email issues - I rang the customer service line (clearly stated on the website) at 5:30pm and after a couple of "press one for ..", the phone was answered in two rings by a very helpful and knowledgable chap who understood and fixed my problem. I have had cause to deal with Plusnet customer service only twice in two years and it has always been a positive and refreshing experience compared to Tiscali or British Gas.

Sueer

sue them for violating their own terms and conditions in the Small Claims Court!

UnhappyPlusnetCustomer

My case is exactly similar to Mrs. Qian. My Broadband died last week and ever since I have desperately tried to reach plusnet support. it is next to impossible to reach them. Will not recommend anybody to join plusnet again...better pay more and be with BT ( if ADSL is the only option ) is the lesson I have learnt so far. - Unhappy Plusnet Customer.

anon

I need help with a problem with PluNet I have been with them for 16 months and for the 3rd time this year ALL of my emails have disappeared. I asked about terminating my contract when it happened in the summer but it seemed too complicated and they insisted I pay THEM money. After the 3rd occassion and the fact I missed out on a job interview I decided enough was enough and cancelled my subscription with immediate effect. I contacted the sales team and was told by a very friendly advisor that this had to be done online but I had a very good case for them to answer as she agreed this was unacceptable. I did this and cancelled my direct debit. As I do not have a credit card my parents let me use theirs as a one off to pay the bill a few months ago, I did not realise that Plus net kept and could use these details again without asking. I contacted them a few days ago when I noticed my parents card was listed as secondary payment, and told them that I did not have permission to use this card and it could not be charged but unfortunatly they charged the card today, which has resulted in a bank charge. They are demanding that I pay them another £80 to terminate my contract as they are insisting that email is a free service and not covered under there T&Cs. I am now in a position where I am going to be out of pocket and they are accepting no blame. I tried to contact the customer service team and this time they were not helpful or polite. I am desperate for any advice anyone can give me!

Phil

Mrs Qian, the vital figure that you need is called the Signal to Noise Ratio Margin (SNR Margin). The SNR Margin refers to the loudness of the BT telephone exchange that the broadband modem listens to. You can't hear the noise that the telephone exchange makes on the line, but the modem can.

Exactly how you get the SNR Margin figure out of the modem depends upon which modem you have. Anyway, an SNR Margin of 6 is the absolute minimum and probably won't work. 12 is good and 20 or more is excellent.

If your SNR Margin is low, unplug all the phones and take the cover off the BT Master Socket. The BT Master Socket is the main telephone point and it belongs to BT. Inside the BT Master Socket you will find another socket, this is the test socket. Plug your modem into the test socket and see if the SNR Margin improves. If so, there is a problem somewhere inside your house. If not, the problem is being caused by BT - tell Plusnet, they will raise a fault with BT, takes 1-2 days to be cleared.

Bob

One day there will be a line in every Internet Service Providers Contract which would say "If I do not provide the service I advertise prior to connection,I shall lose my licence to be a service provider".
Maybe then ISP's like AOL who advertise download speeds of 8Mbps during 2006 when in fact they only supply a 2Mbps service will then have their monthly fee reduced by 3/4 and if it continues past a certain time,a fine should be imposed on the ISP.At the moment,being an Internet Service Provider,is just a licence to print money.

Terry

Since mid September getting online with Plusnet Broadband has been a lottery. Sometimes I go days without a problem, some days I cannot connect at all. Plusnet try to blame my system but it is obvious that the problem is theirs. It is almost impossible to speak to anyone who can help and if one's system is down the on-line assists are useless. I am convinced my problem is contention on the line but any way I have cancelled my Direct Debit.Will renew if I get a reliable service.

Finn

I hadn't actually come across PlusNet until I discovered this discussion forum. I was thinking about changing ISP and having read this I will give PlusNet a miss I think

Joe

Send a strongly worded letter threatening small claims court, and that you are suing them for breach of contract, and will apply for FULL refund AND COMPENSATION.