Slow download speed with Virgin Media

Up until recently I was a Virgin Media broadband customer and have since left them and signed up with Plusnet.  As an avid gamer (please note, I do not download music or videos) I rely on having reasonably good Internet connectivity and to be honest, I really have not been at all impressed with the service I received from Virgin Media.

I have noticed my Internet service being extremely slow during certain hours...

The final straw for me was when my downward speed was reduced to less than 300kb/sec one Sunday evening.  In the past I have had a reliable 2MB/s, even though I live in rural Wales and am some distance from the exchange.  Over several months I have noticed my Internet service being extremely slow during certain hours of the day. Virgin have been less than helpful with this and more often than not my emails were ignored.

Being cut off from a recreational activity that I enjoy and look forward to on a Sunday was enough to persuade me to change Internet provider after quite a few years of being with Virgin and NTL before them.  To make matters worse I was then contacted to try and persuade me to come back!!  Here's the content of the email I was compelled to send back to Virgin...

Slow Internet speeds... "Come back to Virgin Media, you're joking aren't you?  Your service was so bad I would never consider coming back to Virgin and I would advise you to start listening to your customers and what they expect from a broadband service.  Your website is confusing your and your customer service help team are inept at resolving problems.  You have never responded to any e-mails I sent you regarding the problems with my service.  Throttling bandwidth, traffic shaping or whatever other label you care to hang on it have made Internet use with Virgin totally unacceptable.  With a slow service and typical speeds of less that 300kb/sec how is one expected to even surf the web never mind play a game on-line?

I hope for your sake you put your house in order and start giving people what they pay for... a good Internet service, before you loose any more of your customers and come last in the comparison sites Internet service providers.  When I was with NTL I always had good service and the help team always responded to any difficulties I had.  When Virgin Media took over NTL and the service went straight downhill in my opinion and I hope I never have the misfortune to deal with a company like yours ever again.

Please feel free to pass this e-mail to Richard Branson if you wish...   I'm sure he would like to know how THIS customer felt about the service (or lack thereof) from Virgin Media."

Disgruntled George

rebs

there are 3 of us gaming in our house clean quality connections are important to us. I was running with 2 internet providers until i decided to upgrade my virgin to 100mbs at the end of October. But since then i have had nothing but issues with virgin the speed is not the issue it cannot keep connections it drops the connection only for a matter of seconds but enough to disrupt things. i have had 2 engineers out and now lost my wireless. as i also work from home on a laptop it has caused major issue as it has to reconnect each time it is dropped. I have asked sky to re connect me as i with working from home I now find i have no option but to have 2 internet providers. My view is that these 2 companies as bad as each other: virgin - fast but quality dismal, sky speed it so so slow (max 1,8) but more consistant . I really cant see what is so hard about getting a good connection in urban town.s.

I hate Virgin

Virgin has just put my media bill up. It said it had doubled my speed. It's now twice as slow.

It's so disgusting that it is easy to upsize the service [take on more mopre options] via their website when you want to do so, but impossible to downsize the options you have via the web. I am thinking seriously of moving on to to another provider.
3rd Dec 12 01:12

Jesuit Priest

Virgin strangles user lines in peak times so optimal speeds quoted are often impossible. I spoke to an ex-employee who told me this is policy.

AnnoyedAngryandDisgusted

Glad I am not the only one experiencing this terrible service. Called them today about my mothers service and told i was being "trafficked" whatever that label means. 300kbps - my phone goes faster! Was told I could only download at certain times and to stop using the internet.

Told them I get better service with sky and then hung up. Will be cancelling this connection asap - Will be reporting them to ofcom ect ect. Unacceptable behaviour and false trading.

aimed

I Live in Weybridge London. I have Virgin 60MB on cable in fiber optic area.. I wish I never got involved with them. Had problems with the signal - it took 6 engineers to fix the noise on the line. Extremely expensive for the internet connection they provide. You are not allowed to use it during the day - because there is a 5GB traffic limit between 4-9 pm and another one in the morning between 10am-3pm. So DURING THE DAY YOU ARE ALLOWED 15GB AT BEST!!!!! hours . What is the point in having 60MB when you can't use it? And you get 60MB within UK at best otherwise it falls drastically. BAD, VERY BAD. SHAME ON YOU VIRGIN. NO RENEWALL. EVER!!!
3rd Oct 12 04:10

hairyfairy

I`ve just signed on for a twelve month contract with virgin media, & I only hope that I don`t have as bad an experience of them as others seem to have had, because I was connected yesterday & it`s too late to back out.

James

Wow 300kb/s? I'm lucky if i get that 3am in the morning on a weekday. ATM this very second i'm running at a 5kb/s. I can't even load an Internet Webpage Properly!!!

This is ridiculous, no matter how many times i ring them to fix this, they fiddle with settings that fix it temporarily. After a week or two it's back to it's slow self.

As i have no control of the Broadband in my household, i can't exactly change SP. But if i could, i'd have changed this over a year ago.

Max

300Kb/sec? Luxury! My Virgin Broadband (via BT phone line - there are no fibre optic cables here yet) used to slow down to 130Kb/sec from Friday tea time to the early hours of Sunday morning, and wasn't much better through the week. Virgin customer services would blame the phone line or cables in the house. I now have Orange broadband via the same phone line and speeds are over 4mb/sec now.

Andrei

Dang. Here we go again. Thought something was wonky is happening so Googled virgin cuts internet speeds and found the article. I think our speed is usually around 12mbit but since torrents it's been cut by times six.

Stalag 14

Catch-up TV and streaming video is, in my experience, causing congestion on the internet.

I foresee a time when the internet will become unusable most of the time, not just when the kids arrive home from school and start downloading.

It’s all about bandwidth, streaming video and catch-up TV uses a lot,
and the number of users on your local loop.

If only you want to eat the apple pie you can eat as much as you like as fast as you like, but if all your neigbours want a piece, tough!

CM

I Am a virgin user, i pay for unlimited 100mb download...wow how crap can this company get.

It`s 5.14am in the morning i am currently downloading at 847kb/s.

Ping is disgusting when playing games , it creates constant lag.

£80+ a month for a piece of crap.

I wish BT would offer a real alternative because i`m very angry at Virgin.

robert66jr

Pfff..... I thought I was on a 10MB service, I found out when I went to my local Virgin Media shop on the high street, I've been put onto a 2MB service. Which isn't even listed on my Broadband speed tester..... I tell you to go and double check what service you are on....

Fides

Just moved re-installed virgin where I moved to, used to have 10mb at my old place, last 6 months or so got really slow. 30mb broadband installed at new place 2 days ago, tried watching blinkbox movie it keeps pausing during the movie to download stuff and they are long pauses, it used to be fine on my 10mb. Tried testing my 30mb broadband on some of the test sites virgin recommends, one site it tests at 31mb other siite it tests at 5 mb. Tried downloading 200mb file it takes 10 min. Looks very much like pre-agreed test areas virgin sends to are fast but normal downloads are slow. Luckily I now live near to a video shop and I know longer play online games, so am going to downgrade my service to slowest and not bother with speed from virgin.

mediaevil virgin

when I phoned virgin they said they would look into my speeds and thought I might be a high user. they did phone me back the next day and said I use torrents, I said no, they said well someone in my house hold does, I said I do download movies, they said well that would be the problem, I said why I pay for the movies and I belong to lovefim.com and they are streamed to my games console. to which I got silence. I said have you even thought of things like this and that's why I paid for 50mg you said it was unlimited..

mediaevil virgin

I have 50mb package SORRY I pay for a 50mb package and what I get is well at this very min it's 12.27am and speed test not wireless is 4.6mb wireless 2.1mb the new problem is virgin tell people who download torrents to do it when they think people are in bed. but not everyone has normal working hrs like me so the out come is I can't even watch a 3min youtube clip or a bbc news clip or player without it stopping every 2mins all so have a really high package loss it's crap!! and like the other comments google virgin speed and you will have a million results. yet they still don't give a toss about anything..

mano

we have upgraded my broadband to 50mb package with virgin media. its been more then a month since we upupgrad cannot even open the google page. they just ripping off their customer no inetrnet rubishh . we call the customer services first they said to us wait till 17th of january then your internet will be working fine. still internet speed is very very very slow.

Honest Innit

VM used to eb the nuts. OVER the advertised speeds and ACTUAL unlimited broadband. Recommended them to everyone. Now I get my 20meg if I'm lucky and 500kb limit between 4-10pm. Which quite frankly is s**t.
2nd Dec 10 08:12

Kakalaka

I love VM. Luckily for me in London; the service is excellent. 10-Fold better than BT, which isn't too bad here either!
23rd Nov 10 06:11

anon

I have my tv, phone & broadband with virgin

Called at 9.50pm last night to report a fault with my broadband. They did the usual tests and said I would need an engineers visit. I was expecting an appointment weeks away......

How fantastic I could have had between 12 & 4 today but because of work asked for an evening appointment. The chap came tonight about half 5. All fixed with a new wireless hub within an hour.

Excellent customer service.

rob, herts, uk

totally agree, their adverts are a complete joke too.

'' Fastest braodband in the UK! ''
(between the hours of...)

virgin media hater

virgin media internet is absolutely rubbish, the only thing worse than that is their customer service. I mean just do a search online and there are so many complaints on various messaging boards against virgin media, just have a look here

2nd Jul 10 12:07

Marley of Luton

Just been 'capped' and im quiet p***'d off, to be Frank.........We have wonderful consoles like the 360, and the PS3....but we are being froced to not use it to its FULL potential....why?

hacked off baldy man

I am trying to download a file of 68mb. my download speed drops almost as soon as I start the dowmload to less than 170kb/sec and the download stops. I am paying for 10mb speed and getting this c*%p. virgin eh........not for much longer. they are about as good as a chocolate fireguard.

chris.

I pay for a 10mb package with sky after they insisted that I had gone past my 2mb dowload SPEED...which as far as I can tell is their fault.

10mb package is worse now than the 2mb. Rarely see 30kb/per second.

Load of crap.
23rd Apr 10 11:04

finnlayer

In response to my other messages I got the problem sloven, virgin said on the phone that I had 2 mac address on my account, now how the f did it get there, they said they sent me a replaceable modem, did they heck and was not even told anything about that. No as I said it not my fault that for 3 months I had whack speeds, even was told I should not of got internet a tall, I asked for a refund for the problem and was shoved off, virgin took £35 of me for the month and a further £25 for another month for this technical problem, it is sorted now the internet and I am happy bout that, just This is not on that they took money of me and what can I do about it.

jesteroony

I play a lot of online games and now most have regular DLC (downloadable content) add to that I use a service called Steam that requires you to download all purchased games..
Iv'e always been happy with Virgin UNTIL this throttling began a while ago, soon as I download over a certain amount it pulls the brake and i'm dealing with only a few kbps and this lasts for the rest of the day/night...I hope this isn't the future because I have all my services with them and it'll be a bind to go but I won't be bent over by them...Is anyone else having these problems..
3rd Mar 10 09:03

finnlayer

P_s I don't have a virus or a trojan eating away my systems, I use pc tools fire walll, nod32, peerblock, super antispyware, iobit 360, advance windows care, I even checked services msc and msconfig for fault finding , I could do a better job on custormer service helping trouble shooting computes then you would with a zx 128 sinclair spectrum.
2nd Mar 10 02:03

finnlayer

I order the 10 mb package and for the first 3 months I was hitting 12 to 14 mb which is good, now for a few months after those high speeds I been having speeds of under 2mb with downloads beetween 19 kbytes up to 235, my speeds will change like the weather and wet down on me, for faults and trouble shooting are very endless, I tyed many tools even tcip repair, cable nut, reset the stack from virgin website help page, even patch tcip over the limit and reset back to normal.

I tyed two systems with xp and win7 , I even payed of my bill and it was late with the 10 pound charge, well should not course low speeds, I emai lvirgin and reported the problem, virgin was quick to reply to me, I asked for them to do a line test and was told I need teck person to come out to me, I said can you send a guy round this coming week, was told to ring them up on a virgin phone, don't have a virgin phone as I live in a tower block with no fixed line, ok then well send a teck guy out, well were the fu--k is he then you virgin cappers''' I like what I had before ok speeds and was happy man, now I get sh-t speeds and my games lag slower than a ant, get you finger out ya bottom and make your costumers happy. IAs you can see I not a happy chappy .
2nd Mar 10 01:03

El-bobbo

also id like to add, I have had nothing but good speeds from virgin media, but I do know when they first took over it was bad
21st Feb 10 07:02

El-bobbo

@SniperDaws perhaps a few people with in a few streets of where you live where downloading tons, making your speed slower due to bad traffic management
21st Feb 10 07:02

el-bobbo

did you ever think it could be a virus on your pc downloading more viruses.. thus making your web browsing slower
21st Feb 10 07:02

ZANEYBOY

hi guys...just a quick rant about the appauling service provided by our good friends virgin media... we have been on and off with this company (ntl days to) for something like 10+ yrs.. broadband around 5 yrs.. everytime we have been with them the broadband is diobolicle, about 3 months ago I upgraded from 2mb to 10mb which has doubled in price now 22.50,it was pretty resonable at first as I could watch programmnes online without a hitch(more or less) about the last month my connection keeps dropping off to nothing and it seems to be coming from there end (not recieving).im currently writing this message via a unsecured wireless connection ive pinched off somebody in the street because guess what,mine aint working?? I spoke to tech dept the other day and did all the reset bollocks and it worked for a few hours,then back to its old tricks...im currently seething at the momment as im paying this amount of money for effectively sod all,and the bloody sneaky russians have tied me into a 12 month contract when I upgraded I wasnt made aware of :-( I seriously want to get out of this contract,anybody with any suggestions would be fantastic....FROM MY POINT OF VIEW AS A LONG STANDING NTL/VIRGIN CUSTOMER PLEASE AVOID AT ALL COSTS...

SniperDaws

im on 10mb Cable with Virginmedia and for the past few weeks every day between 4pm and 9pm my internet is unusable, I rang virginmedia and mrs patel couldnt even understand what I was saying, I then rang again hoping to get through to someone else and I think it was Mr patel this time Mrs Patels Husband............i cant be bothered anymore im sick of Broadband being a complete rip off, its not just Virginmedia its every single broadband call centre, they are your best mates when you are signing up but soon as you need any help the call centres are idiots.
1st Feb 10 06:02

clivusuk

I thought unlimited was unlimited, but with Virgin that is not so. I find my speed restricted at regular intervals each day. I remember that some time ago Branson was involved in a publicity stunt that involved absailing down a building and the harness caused some damage to his nether region. I think of this every time I see my speed diminish to a trickle and wish something worse had happened.
31st Dec 09 02:12

Clarite

We tried Virgin but could not get a good speed, apparently they are too many people sharing the same output in our road so they could not fix it for us. We complained and they lowered the cost to us initially and promised us that an upgrade of their system was due soon but when nothing changed over 6 months we moved to another supplier. I notice that their van is often parked in front of a neigbourgh or another so I guess that the problem has not been fixed. We are now with O2 and get a much better service and speed.

Grumpy xx

I'm with AOL. They're OK, but the connection doesn't wordometimes. It happens at least twice a month. But I still find them better than other services, like Talk Talk, which was terrible, so I've stuck with them. They're not that cheap though.

Dundeebundee

Thanks for the advice . On 20mb just now. Think they call it xl. and it goes down by 75% right enough. To 'bypass' their traffic management you have to UPGRADE to XXL fibre optic. So if you spend more money, all the crap about 'fair to others' goes out the window. So they have cut bandwith on standard cable lines for existing infrastructure even though we have a pre-agreed price for a pre-agreed service. Nice work VM. You guys are so 'green' and 'fair to others'.
What fairness is actually brought to the 'others' and what service do the 'other' actually subscribed to? Not unique to vm either unfortunately.

VM Customer

It's their crappy traffic management that's slowing you down!! I know cause it's happen to me, they reduce your speed up to 75% it's a joke. See here; http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

Upgrade to the 10mb L BB and if you hit the cap your speed will be reduced to same you have now about 2mb.

Dundeebundee

Hope we can still have choices when it comes to more important things like food. We're down to about 4 main suppliers of food (supermarkets). Lets just hope they dont agree to a price fixing on luxury items such as tooth paste, toilet paper and sanitary towels. I can rant all night long but I try to occupy my mind with less depressing stuff like online games too..oh they banned me from that for stepping out of line for the 1st time in my life. At least I still have strictly come smokescreen and Im on the payroll, Buy me outta here! anyway Peace people One love. Just remember we are all brothers and sisters on this intergalactic island we call earth. We are all made from the same ball of space matter. Just some of us have forgot that. MR "I just want more" BRANSON.

Dundeebundee

Totally agree with george. With telewest/ntl, the service was perfect in almost all ways. Since virgin took over they have slid in different policies with "traffic management" and the likes.I too have had similar poor quality of service to the point where I am changing providers. Seems because there is apparently a recession on (so ive been told), this has created a free for all for big corporations including government to do as they please, creating an "open wallet". Any argument with anything related to "value for money" results in "Its for carbon reduction", "we're driving for efficiency" "Theres a hole in the ozone" "we're making it fair for everyone", or " in this economic climate". Why dont they just say "sorry folks we're stealing from you and we're slowly getting caught with our noses in the trough, but if you complain or make too much noise about it we can make your life very difficult" ,starting with a squeaze on the economy. who knows what next. Now I just feel we have become too dependant on highers powers to resolve simple problems and they are taking advantage of the "need to be led". Sorry for going off topic George but when I see we are all being treated equally....=badly, then I get mad. good for you for changing providers.

Gainsborough lad.

I sometimes struggle to get connected on a sunday night on "my" computer, but the wife and kids have theirs on as well, all on one line, so I can't really complain about Virgin.
23rd Nov 09 11:11

miserablemoaninggit

I hate to contradict a gripe so directly, but my move to Virgin ADSL was the best move I've made in terms of having a reliable speed. Most of the time, I can get 3.5mbps to over 4mbps, and I'm near the end of line from my exchange in a largely rural county. It is a massive improvement from Pipex, a company that rapidly has gone downhill in terms of customer service and broadband speed - I think they were taken over by Tiscali which says it all. I pay £15.00 per month to Virgin, and I'm generally a happy customer. The only 'gripe' I have is that when I have wanted to telephone customer service, it can be a long wait on the telephone and a few times I've just given up.
23rd Nov 09 10:11

LDS

I'm a Virgin customer also (been with them 7 yrs and had mobiles with them for nearly 10 yrs), I've had a slow connection the odd times, which I agree is frustrating esp when you've paid for 10mb! However, I've always found them to be very useful and their customer service is excellent IMO.

Its funny how some customers seemed to have been treated differently! have you not called to actually speak with someone?
23rd Nov 09 10:11

Frog

300kbits/s or 300kbytes/s? If it's the former then fair enough that is a bit on the slow side, but if it's the latter that's 2.4mbits/s; not exactly what I would call "slow", especially for gaming which from experience anything >=512kbit/s is ample for a good (<40ms) ping. Also, unfortunately as you're not on a dedicated line, your connection is subject to a contention ratio like the rest of us (I think cable is 1:50), so I'm not surprised that it's slower on a Sunday evening as that must be a very busy time.
23rd Nov 09 10:11