A poor choice of broadband providers in Hull

Everybody in the country has a reasonable choice of broadband providers except us in Hull.  Kingston Communications has a monopoly here and I have to say that I havent been too impressed so far.  Why can't the regulator force them to open up to the competition in this area?

We should be able to choose a different broadband provider if we are not happy with the service.  Apparently its not even illegal that we dont have a choice of land line or ISP and personally I reckon that it should be!  The current situation and in particular the lack of choice cant be good for Hull or potential customers.  I only use a dialup connection at home as I refuse to pay Kingston Communications for broadband.  Im not sure I believe their claims as far as pricing is concerned either.

Hands on a keyboard, no broadband choice in Hull For example not so long ago we were told that all prices for domestic phone lines where coming down, well my bill went from 20 per quarter to 40 per quarter!  I cant vouch for other customers though, but I'll stick with my dialup for now.

I suspect that Im not the only one thats fed up.  I reckon if we had a choice of ISPs then the competition would force Kingston Communications to improve.  They would have to or they would lose all their customers and go bust.

Ive actually heard of people moving out of Hull purely because they're not happy with the broadband here.  The day we get BT in Hull (more expensive or not) I think Ill be having a party!

By: HullGhost & Panyan

orion

connexin are a joke i was promised no less then 10mbps download and same with the upload i am lucky to get 4 on each i am sick and tired of calling them to sort it out and getting fobbed off, i was with KC yes they are a rip off too but i wish i never switched now with connexin some days i cannot connect to the internet at all, the instalation was £160 and i pay £35 a month for this terrible service.
31st Aug 14 08:08

AS

Just to reply to Hullensian

First other places within the UK did have their own telephone company's however for reasons unknown to me these where absorbed into the post office and later became BT, where as in Hull this did not happen.

Hullensian your comment about:

"... i.e. they don't think they make enough money providing a special solution just for the few customers"

Is probably correct but I must say your narrow-mindedness is showing with your comment:

"I still don't "get" what anyone in Hull is going to get from another provider they can't get from KC"

It's a fact competition does help keep prices down and help the customer to get a better service.

BT are probably one of the most expensive providers, however there service is fantastic, I have also used TalkTalk and Sky who also offer good prices but there service is not quit up to the same standards as BT.

I'm not saying KC offer a bad service, but what I am saying is that whilst the people of Hull can only use KC there is no reason for KC to improve their service costly as it is or bring down there prices.

And why shouldn't the people of Hull be given a choice as the rest of the country is?

The only thing that appears from an outsider's point of view to be standing in the way of progress is KC as the rest of the country do have a choice and don't have KC.

AS

I think your right about their prices and don’t understand myself why KC has a monopoly in Hull.
I always believed this was not allowed.
If more people refused to pay there prices and even just for a number of months moved over to say mobile broadband it may hit KC where it hurts as they hit everyone else.
Why don’t other providers move into Hull?
Is this because KC won’t rent lines to theme?
I have to say if we could all stick together something may get done about this, until we do nothing will happen.

Djwwild

I have cancelled my kc internet and phone line have moved to connexin great speed up to now and cheaper.

tracey rogers

i have been with kc for a couple of years. the last seven months i have had to ring up at least every week due to poor download speed and constant disconnections sometimes several times an hour. why dont i switch to a differant provider you ask well the answer is there isnt another provider. so i am stuck with kc. if they provided a good service maybe the people of hull wouldnt moan about having a better choice. in some areas kc are a dreadful service and unwilling to spend the money to improve. we are stuck with a very expensive but very poor service.

cindyb

I would love to have a choice of broadband provider, k.c have no incentives what so ever to provide a good customer service. If another company did ever come in and k.c did go bust...well...it says it all really doesn't it!!! company's don't go bust because there good!!! I am tired of the ridiculous bills and its not because of all the calls I make because i hardly use it, its the vat they charge on top of each call and the calls that don't connect still get charged. £26 I got charged for un-answered calls! even if this is the case, why don't they tell you this when u sign up. (same with most company's I know) but its kc im with not other company's. I could write a list of all the things i'm fed up with kc for, but instead I decided to stop moaning and leave them for good. I rang them today and cancelled, its the best thing I have ever done and another good thing is that there are other options out there. I have been looking about the net and there is a thing now called mifi which is broadband without a landline in hull, also there is a company called hull broadband that is similar and from a postcode check it also says I can get broadband and phone line with virgin and sky but its not certain yet, going to ring them. if I find anything else out I will update this site. good luck to all and I do hope one day other options are a available for us here in hull.
22nd Apr 14 08:04

Hullensian

Can we once and for all put this myth to bed that KC are keeping other firms out of Hull. Hull is a special case since when the phone was invented and the government of the day asked if any local councils wanted to run their own phone company, Kingston upon Hull was, as far as I know, the only council on the UK mainland that thought they should have their own phone system and that proved to be a huge success as the council ploughed "profits" (even though anyone could talk on the local phone network for as long as they wanted for 5p!!) back into the phone system and the network.

Hull people MUST realise the reason they can't get services from companies who use the old BT network in the rest of the UK is because these companies don't want their business enough ... i.e. they don't think they make enough money providing a special solution just for the few customers they MAY get if they set up a special deal with KC and, to be honest, I still don't "get" what anyone in Hull is going to get from another provider they can't get from KC. I'm on KC's cheapest broadband and landline package and it suits me fine. I do my ebaying, look a bit at YouTube, send photos, email scans and the speed's at least as good I have experienced elsewhere.

Apart from that, as far as I know, KC did come top in a test of ISP speeds with Beverley being the place in the UK you should live is you needed really fast connection speeds. I'm VERY proud of KC, what it's done for Hull over the years would rather my money went to a LOCAL listed company with many LOCAL shareholders than other companies creaming off profits to give as dividends to people who will never spend any money in Hull.

Cableguy

K'Comm's have started outsourcing some management to the BT Group PLC. I shouldn't have thought it would be too long before you see BT in your area.

Lucie 27

Have you spoken to Excel Hull? They are a telecom provider in Hull and work well for me! : 01482 407270. Good luck!

TP2012

Has anyone can give a feedback of Sure broadband. As I've moved to Hull - HU9 and looking for an alternative to have internet.
Please I appreciate your inputs about their services and signal in this area.

Mark S

It's not illegal because technically KC are doing nothing wrong. KC are not stopping other providers from entering Hull, the providers don't want to come to Hull because we have a different infrastructure, so it wouldn't benefit any provider to alter their setups just to suit the "small" amount of customers that they'd gain.

anon

Hull? Hull? England, Ireland, Scotland or Wales?

Robertybob

I was with KC for calls & internet ( because its all we can have) for 4 years until one day I had one of those "stroke of genius" moments, sick of poor broadband speeds and rip off phone bills, I kicked them into touch and got 3 mobile broadband & phone which is much quicker and cheaper. Best thing I've done !!

Hullfc_ref

I use connexin, You dont need a landline phone. Its cheeper then kc and you get a FREE 01 or 02 number. My speeds are around 20mb i was installed yesterday and its great 24/7 tech support (not needed it) Check them out www.hull.connexin.co.uk Ive been a customer of Hull broadband and got family with sure. Hull broadband is a stay clear its bad. Sure is ok but speeds can become crappy at peak times. Ive never had a slow down with Connexin
3rd May 12 03:05

ddhh33

Hi, I'm looking at getting some internet into my son's student house in Hull we are mid renovating. I've heard there is a company called Sure broadband who work using wifi so dont need a telephone line - though we do actually pay for the basic KC line in our son's house and intend keeping that too. Anyone out there used Sure and have any feedback negative or positive before I sign up ? Many thanks !

Mark in Beverley

I rang talk talk and for £99 they will re line your connection and you are free from KC i did it and the service is faster smoother have not had any outage yet and the phone bill package is cheaper with free calls.

Alan 3161

I have cancelled my landline with kc so have no broadband connection
But find that the dongle I use works well
But if anyone or a company is interested in pushing for more
Choice in hull I for one will sign up to this
but if we sign up together surely some lawyer
Will know if we can do something?

ricky

i still pay 30 a month and get 2 meg on a good day, they say that they are putting new faster broadband in hull in the nexted 5 years great so they going to rip me off for another 5 years its just a joke in hull.
the sky and virgin , talk talk and all the other broadband adds on my tv should be band from hull user as it just gut me when there talking about 20 meg speeds for half the price im paying

K

I've being on the phone to sky to try for the new buddle of £44.00, they seems very nice on the phone and great customer service. As soon as I called KC, I had this guy that was telling me about how I cannot have broadband/phone with sky as it's 'un-available.' to be installed. I'm waiting for my sky guy to call me back to tell me whether I can have what they offered, lets hope so, I cannot stand being ripped off 72 pounds! just for the phone and broadband! I think it's time for a change. To stand up to KC and show them we mean business, I'm tired of not doing anything about it. We need more choice for healthy competition ? dont you think? then our bills will no longer be sky high!

Apple Mac forever

Never mind the monopoly and the speed - what about the customer service?

Used to sell computers for a living. One day several customers contacted me to say they could not get email. Rang Karoo who said there was no problem but when I told them about 12 people not getting access there was a pregnant pause followed by an admission that the servers were down for about 2 hours!

If they will lie about faults how can I trust anything they say about their service? What gets me is their boast they provide one of the faster broadband services in the country. Incredible!!! The words "cloud", "cuckoo" and "land" spring to mind.

Despite the desireability of broadband I will stick with my dialup for the time being and get downloads via a relative that lives in a BT area.

Karoo = naff.

Pete

I hear you brother. I moved to Hull when I started university a few years ago and at the time I had no idea there was a monopoly on phone and internet. I lived out in the sticks before then and my connection was way faster. At the time I put the slow broadband down to the university being cheapskates, but now I realise its KCs fault.

Apparently they arent breaking any rules by having this monopoly but with no competition where is their incentive to provide a good service and a good price to the customers? Im not a huge fan of free market capitalism but isnt that supposed to be the benefit of it?

KC have the people of Hull by the bollocks. We need to start kicking up a fuss about this before its too late!

Nick

£30/month for 3mb/sec and half the time it doesn't even work.. :-/ Fed up....Beverley is hit hard by KC's service; at least in Hull you get a decent speed. They actually said to me that I was lucky to get 3mb/sec...

Dan

At least 25mb ,i ment ,, we must be able to do something

Dan

Kc what an utter disgrace , and hers me thinking the customer comes first , was paying £40 pound for a 15mb connection moved to a new street I now get 8mb for the same price , totally unfair , everyone should have fibre optic broadband now at 2mb the very least, kc is daylight robbery and there nothing we can do about it !!!!!!!!

Loomish

Vetteran we can't get BT in Hull and surrounding area. Karoo pay BT 70mil a year to not open there abandoned shop just behind KC, and to fix Karoo's network issues. It will never change.

Wayne

KC has been open for any other network to come into the region for years now, but the fact is none of the other providers would see a return for decades after installing the necessary equipment.
My Partner used to work for the company years ago and the only way the situation would change is if another company came in and bought them? The only difference would be is that the local work force would be layed off and you'd still pay the same the same fee as the parent company would be trying to recoupe their investment. Don't think it'll happen in our life time, if it does I'd move out as the town will probably go bust! : )

vetteran

BT has been available in Hull and Beverley for a while now. The new package deals introduced last year give better value than before. There are a couple of wireless broadband providers, search Google. If you have more than one telephone point, try disconnecting wires leaving only 2 and 5.
There are faster providers in other parts of the country but generally it is more expensive to live there. Using dialup? cutting off your nose to spite your face!

Another option

Here is another option.. look at hull's one point they do BB phone and everything across hull
23rd Mar 11 12:03

BT escapee

They say the grass is always greener, well it is after switching from KC to BT for both phone and broadband I have after less than 4 weeks gone back to KC.
BT were abysmal, the customer service pathetic both here and in India, Tech help was as much use as a chocolate fireguard and the billing was done by a 100 monkeys with typewriters.
No service is perfect but be very careful what you wish for!!!!!

As for BT financial engineers comments Get a life sad sack or better still a proper job.

zeUKDon

What KC offers is an absolute joke; £35 and its still limited dl, ridiculous. I'm astounded as to how this is allowed to happen in 2011. Desperately need this monopoly gone.

styx83

Here's an idea, why dont we all just cancel or phone and broadband lines then they will go out of business. everyone complains but nobody ever does anything. today KC F*****D up my billing and had the bloody cheek to charge me £20 admin fee plus a re-connection fee of £36! I was utterly disgusted, so I told them to shove it!
3rd Feb 11 09:02

Karlr1

I have worked all over the country and used Virgin & BT ISP's they are good providers with constant service. KC on the other hand with their monopoly have become complacent, the service is very poor and unreliable. We need competition to improve service. I am getting very tired of the poor unreliable offering.

Dr.9

Has anyone taken this any further, as there are many people who are not happy with the service but what do we do about it? If anyone has started a petition I will be very willing to sign and also everyone else I know in hull will!! Its about time this issue is resolved!

How thick do KC think we are??

Hi, I would just like to know if cya kc is still happy with the service from Hull broadband. I was going to be charge just under £350 for a new phone line and broadband from the robbing b******s KC. I personaly think that they are litterally taking the p**s out of the good people of Hull and deserve to be booted out of Hull once and for all.

Billy_sastard

Trish all you need to do is buy a cheap mobile if you don't already have one and look for the cheapest tariff, you can get one for £10 a month with unlimited phone calls. Just type cheap mobile tariffs into google.

Evo5754

we can't even get their service due to previous tenants running up a bill what the jebus are we ment to do

trish

I think it is about time we had a choice as to where we go for our telephone network, I have just received my phone bill and being a pensioner it cost more for the line rental than the phone calls I make. P wish I could change but don't know how

david p

well I read this feed! I joined airnet on friday, after 6 years of karoo I actually need to mention.. where the hell did these guys come from?! amazing awesome internet! ;)

Billy_sastard

They rang me at work today, I'm no longer a KC customer \o/ Terminated my contract with them and it feels good. In this day and age with mobiles and internet dongles all KC customers should do the same, this won't happen though as a majority are too reliant on their landlines and internet, there's alternatives.

Show KC that we mean business, cut your ties with them, if enough of us do it they will take note.

Gas and Electric are essential, landlines and internet aren't. STICK IT TO EM, COME ON. grrrrrr

Billy_sastard

I've just sent a threatening Email that I'm terminating my contract with them as they want to charge me £1.00 a month from January for my withheld number block service because the other providers do also, the thing is as you all know we don't have the choice to go to the other providers anyway whether they charge more or less.

Talk Talk charge roughly £18 a month for Broadband line rental and free evening and weekend calls, I'm currently charged £29.99 a month just for Broadband alone with rip off KC. They can shove it, I'm getting a dongle until this monopoly that KC has a grip on is stopped.

karl

hi I pay £35 a month and I get 3 meg which is crap, I have 4 girls and they all want to be on the net, when there on I cannot even go on xbox live as its to slow, and when I see on the tv ads that sky on a bt line give you 20 meg and your phone calls all in for half of what I pay it piXX ed me right off, the goverment should be able to step in and change how it works in hull

cloudberry

I totally agree. And cant understand why it has gone on this long either.
22nd Nov 10 03:11

Alan White

I totally agree with you the service is poor the prices high and the staff trained by the SS well done Kcom you are holding the peaple of Hull to ransom, your share holders must be so proud of you, shame the customers think your crap,

Tony Hurley

Hull Broadband provide an alternative service in the Kingston area, unlimited usage for £25 per month.

Vic

I have been told that apparently TalkTalk will be coming to Hull in January. I don't know how accurate this is. Sad that it still isn't a great company, but something might be better than nothing.
I'm annoyed with KC atm, as they want to charge me £117.50 (the extra 50p was so kindly pointed out to me by the phone operator...) for flicking a switch to activate a line. Apparently they need to send an engineer out to do that.. He needs to install a phone socket. Which is ridiculous considering there are 6 installed in the house. I asked about cancelling my contract (I'm moving house, so want to transfer it over), and said I would have to pay until July, even if I wasn't using it. Because apparently I agreed to a one year contract. I was forced to agree to it. It was that, or no internet! Go away KC, you just get on everyone's nerves.

cya KC

No nothing, It was £149.99 for the install which is a bit ouch. then £25 a month .Got phone service with Vonage£5 a month unlimited uk calls so £30 a month all in . From what I understand of there system it comes in via microwave dishes over the humber to hull royal then split from there. so nothing goes to KC :) and for a 10mb up and down unlimited connection im very happy so far

Bri

Do you not have to pay anything to KC though? Even indirectly?

cya KC

Just had the one point installed and works fine. No more kc and even have a 01482 phone number :)

Bri

Hi Martin,

Had a letter today ackowledging my complaint but it was next to useless. Basically the response was almost the same as what you got. They said, and I quote:

"As part of this investigation, we checked our mailing lists and can confirm that we did indeed send you a letter, however, we are afraid that I cannot explain why you did not receive it via the Royal Mail."

That is a quote word for word, bascally assuming no responsibility and instead choosing to blame Royal Mail. They go on to say that they have increased the charges for people on older packages (I'm on the now obsolete Karoo Max) because it costs them more to run and support these services in comparison to the newer ones. Later on they also go on to say that they want people off the older packages and they hope that increasing the charges will "encourage" people to do so.

This is out of order. I sent them another email saying I don't accept that the post went missing as I know of other people that this happened to, so basically I think they're lying. I am reporting them to Ofcom and also and also Office of Fair Trading and Trading Standards and I really do urge anyone else not happy to do the same. They can't be allowed to carry on robbing people blind like this.

I, like a lot of other people am sick of this hold that KC has over us and it's about time they were forced to open their lines up and give us some genuine choices.

Martin, if I were you I'd put a complaint in because it seems like the person you talked to on the phone wasn't interested in trying to sort out your query. Put it in writing either by email or by post and keep a copy for yourself.

Keep us posted :) I'll do the same should I get any responses from OFT, Ofcom etc.
1st Oct 10 10:10

Bri

Hi Martin,

1st Oct 10 09:10

Martin - West Hull

Hi Bri,

Same thing with me. KC put my monthly cost up by £3.50 saying that everyone had a letter sent out to them. I told them I didn't and also I other people have had the same and also never received a letter. The woman on the phone was very rude and said we must have thought it was junk mail and binned it with out looking. How many others has this happened too and haven't had a letter. KC need to be sorted out. I have tried to get other phone and internet packages but can't due to KC putting a block on everything.

Brian

Hi Bri
Brian here is it just us Brians?
I have just changed my package with KC now only costs 17 for the mid range product which is within my download usage as they noe=w only have usage packages .

Brian

Ok
Why don't we have a referendum/poll in the area to ask if people would like the choice of provider.
Is it that the other companies Sky or BT etc. are fearful of not having enough of thhe Market share to come in at their expensense and have too long to wait to recoup cost incurred. ?

Bri

I'll add my name here. Just checked my account only to find KC have increased my internet by £2.50 a month but didn't tell me about it. In response to this I sent a complaint to these jokers and it's now being "investigated". I'm also reporting them to Ofcom because I'm sick of them continually increasing my line rental and holding us all to ransom. I urge anyone else not happy with KC to do the same. They have to take us seriously at some point. This outdated company needs to release this hold it has over us.

Ritasheba

Hull telephones as it was known as was the pride of Hull and envy of people outside Hull as we
used to have a cheap and reliable servise that was unique in this area.
Hull council decided to sell off the the shares to the company who call themselves Kingston comms
with first asking the people of Hull first as it belonged to us not the few cronies in the council who
didn't think that the people of Hull would mind,(But we did mind).
As soon as this company took over The standing charge was scrapped and a monthly subscription
charge was imposed that meant instead of £12.00 a quarter we3 end up paying £30 + a quarter
before calls so if we don't make a call we still have to pay £30 + vat just for the ancient copper lines
that are stuggling to cope with ever increasing broadband demands.
I pay for up to 20mb but only get just over 5 mb which I feel is a rip off.
It's time to tell this company to share the lines with other provders who will provide an alternate servise
to the people of Hull but KC are afraid of the mass exodus that will take place.
All I have to say is (Come on BT and Sky come and lay fibre optics in Hull you and give us what KC isn't, an up to date servise). It will come if keep the pressure on and when it do'es KC will only have
themselves to blame.
Thanks for listening

El Diablo

Spot On! If BT did nationally, what KC do locally, they woule be investigated and fined for monopolising. Well, according to KC they do allow other companies to provide services in the area, but after speaking with someone who works at another ISP, I was told the reason no others could offer packages here is because they are charged so much for the rental/use of the KC line, that they cannot offer a reasonably priced service, to have AOL for example, I would have still needed to pay for karoo. There are cheaper and better providers out there, they just can't work in Hull. We deserve better, we don' deserve to be held to ransom by some two bit, outdated company. The service is poor, the prices steep, even for the phone line, the only reason I have it is to have the internet, so aswell as my monthly charge for broadband, I also have to pay around £60 every three months for something I dont even want!

annoyed

BT financial engineer - you are extremely rude and wrong! Hull may not be the most desirable place to live, but there are plenty of people here who do more than just eat takeaways and who hope to do more with their lives. You've just shown how ignorant and small minded you are! And I'm not even from Hull!

BT Financial Engineer

There's not much hope for Hull. It's a place for kebabs and fish and chips as every shop is a takeaway. You would be hard pressed to purchase petrol in Hull.

Not much need for Broadband, it's required in more productive parts of the country.

gary

I have been in contact with the director or broadband at virgin media and asked in a email if or when they will be comming to hull. here was his reply!
Unlike BT, Kingston do not wholesale their product and we do not have our fibre optic cable network in this area .. for historical reasons that I'm not clear about.
Thanks for the contact; we'll look at the opportunity.
So fingers crossed if we push hard enough we might get somewhere with them!

Haich

I would love to join that party if any other service enters to hull.I just moved to hull and found about KC which has ridiculous customer services and policies and unfortunately I have to stick with them only because thats the only telephone and broadband provider in Hull..They are sick people with sick policies and a sick company! I was so happy with virgin media before:(

anhero

completly agree!
i recently improve my broadband package and was told I would recieve a free router with the new package which I would only have to pay £5 for the P&P. A month has now passed and after many calls to karoo they say the the way I can get a router is to go pick one up from the service desk but I will still have to pay the postage costs.

if I had any other choice of ISP I would without a dowt throw a huge party XD

paulm

As I understand it the problem with Hull is that the telephone network is so outdated that ONLY kingston communications will service it. The cost of setting up a proper network that the rest of the country has is simply out of range for hull unfortunately.

Simply put - move out of hull if you want to enter the world of digital communications - or have satellite broadband!!

SORRY!!!

robert vernon

I totall agree with the above statement in its entiretry, not only do we not get a price but we pay way above what bt and talk talk offer. I believe its against our rights not to have a vote on this out of control situation. I am strongly considering moving home because of the bad service and unfair pricing from kc. I will soon be starting a partion to get peoples votes on bt lines I hull and sending a copy to bt and kc!!!

lizzie

My Dad wrote to Ofcom several years ago and they stated that technically KCOM dont have a monopoly - rather there is no one willing to compete with them
3rd Jul 10 01:07

0510 steve

Could, nt agree more
If we had BT my television , phone and broadband would be a third the cost.
BR
Steve S
2nd Jul 10 12:07

karoosuxballs

yup , karoo sucks.
8mb I pay for,my speed fluctuates more than a pregnant womans hormones and yet it always says 6.3 mb on my task bar.
I too am looking to get a bt line installed just so I can get a better deal.
The day when kingston coms goes bust will be a great day for hull

macdoon5

I agree with the comments above promised 8mg I get a average 1 mg

Doc

Just Rang Virgin they say they can provide phone line and broad band put in your post code and give them a call

karoo-user

I was told KC will let any ISP use their lines like BT do but the voltage on the line is half what the BT one is, so noones system will work on a KC line, thats how they got round the whole monopoly thing. Its not that they are keeping it all to themselves, its just the other companies dont want to spend money on a new system just for Hull users.

priscus

telecoms costs fall dramatically for the rest of the world: But not if you live in Hull. To add insult to injury we will now be required to pay the landline tax to subsidise the cost of providing BB to others!

I've decided to vote with my feet, and move from Hull, as last line of this text suggests.

But, what happened to the proposal to set up a community wireless network with BT acess?
2nd Feb 10 04:02

Sick and Tired of Karoo

I complained about this monopoly years ago only to be told it wasn't. Karoo is rubbish I'm supposed to have 2.3mbs but I only get 0.4mbs according to all the test sites.
23rd Jan 10 09:01

Lee Brooke

I totally agree and have been saying this for years.

anonymous

ignore the BT engineer the only problem you'll have outside of KC is if the excange is owned by BT. As long as it is an open exchange the service is fine if it is a closed exchange which to start with they will be then it will be a poor service especially if you have any technical difficulties as they'll keep on blaming it on the exchange which KC won't do anything about as your not with them and it ends up being a vicious circle.

anonymous

the monoploy has actually expired however due to the fact KC own the lines they can charge what they like to other providers and because of this no other provider wishes to come in accept one.

Keep your eyes open in May is all i'm saying

happy

I laugh at some of the idiots who post on here, check OFCOM for what kc can and can't do , check the proper sites not some sad case posting things. god help u if kc goes and u would realy see what service u would get. (ex bt engineer)

Look at Dongles

I also use a mobile dongle, I've been with 3 for just over two years and I've had a few problems. The problems I've had have been resolved quickly and majority of the time it's something that I could email them and every time I have emailed them they have called me back within 24 hours. That is a service KC wouldn't provide without cost. As my contract came to end a few months ago they did an upgrade deal and I now have more megs at half the price my first contract was on. KC would certainly never do that. There is a choice out there, but granted it's not perfect. I think Hull should abandon KC and get dongles and look around for better mobile tarrifs too. My mum has a tariff with orange where she gets free landline calls and I can call my sister for 25 pence per minute while she is studying in Italy. In a grand total, together we spend £25 a month on mobiles. with the internet I'm paying £15 for 5mgb. It's good to shop around.

markyboihull

I'm using mobile broadband and its far from perfect. frustratingly slow with poor service. Having said that there is NO way in the world I'd go back with KC just because they the only ISP through a landline. So for the time being i've just got to make do.
I'd even consider paying a large charge just to give me the options of BT Sky etc....KC will go bust if other companies come into area and I won't lose sleep over that
2nd Jan 10 05:01

flamegirl

I completely agree. I have been provided with free unlimited broadband through Orange, however they are unable to provide this service unless they have a BT line. So far with having to pay for the Reuter ( Orange provided one free- even for high speed broadband) and with the mid user fees (which are still fairly low) I think I'm going to have to spend an additional £214 a year. I feel boxed in, discriminated by locality and mighty annoyed.
23rd Dec 09 04:12

joy

Totally agree with you. Someone should do something about the broadband provider in Hull, as it is not fair to the customer here.I have just moved to Hull recently, and surprised to find only one provider here.The price is expensive, and the service they provide is not attractive at all.

M1AYM

I entirely agree.
The service is slow and their are compatibility problems with the broadband routers KC supplied.
If my router is disconnected it can take an hour to get it to re-connect. The infrastructure to support their so called services are outdated and they still extort money from customers who have no alternative.
Anyone who has a physical BT phone line can select any ADSL service provider. If you’ve got a KC line to your house forget it, your stuck with KC and Karoo. Its appalling.
3rd Nov 09 09:11

jon

Some more so called competition.Cobus - only do businesses,Utility warehouse - broadcall - do coverage checker doesnt work on KC,TTS couldnt find it,Quickline - £295-00 setup £25/month 2mb speed,Hull broadband - £295-00 setup £28-50/month 10mb speed.Wow that is fantastic competition isnt it!!!!!!
3rd Nov 09 12:11

Kev

So price wise they do have a monopoly and its a disgrace!!!
3rd Nov 09 12:11

Kev

There is no choice in Hull the options are to expensive to change from KC to these so called other providers that people on this site are on about..Hull Broadband is a rip off too £295-00 setup and 28-50 a month ,not cheaper than KC.What irks me is that we have no choice of tv,phone and broadband package.
3rd Nov 09 12:11

joe

There are NO other services operating in hull. Yes KC have said they are open to other companies but none have come forward so far. KC's internet speeds are bellow average for the UK too.
23rd Oct 09 12:10

charlie75

Actually KC do not have a monopoly as they are unable to prevent any other company entering the area and providing a service. I am also reliably informed by a friend who works for an independent contract telecommunications company that the service and speeds of KC broadband are pretty competitive. Thus, another company are unlikely to enter an area saturated with KC customers. However, here are other providers out there.

Cimslunt

I messaged Kc asking them about allowing other Isps into the area, they replied that they are regulated by OFCOM and have to allow other isps in.

Cimslunt

Don't know what you've

Re: No choice for Broadband in Hull,

If you do a quick bit of research, you'll find that there are alternatives.

-Nexus, although a reseller of Kingston's product, can offer broadband.
-The Utility Warehouse, ditto.
-The One Point (Hull Broadband), T.T.S., Axis, Adept, Cobus and Genesis, all offer broadband and in some cases fixed line and traditional telephony services.
-Plus there's countless mobile broadband from all of the big players out there.

KC do not have a monopoly, otherwise the government would have stepped in and done something about it. They have, to my knowledge, never stopped another provider coming into the area and setting up their own network.

However, be cautious. As recently reported, EYRC have complained about poor broadband from BT. It is difficult to criticise when you've no basis for comparison. As a BT customer I can speak from experience when I say every problem that I read regarding KC's poor service, is a carbon copy of the issues we've had since signing up for BT's 'fantastic' home hub.

Yes, KC have their faults, but trust me, they aren't the only ones :-)

Lee Hamm

KC are on their knee's at the minute by all accounts.... so if this Hull Broadband takes away half of KC's custom (Which is highly likey) they will go belly up...... and to be fair it will be a blessing in disguise to the City. BT need to be in this city ASAP in my opinion to make things grow quicker and create more jobs in the City .... more things to sell = more jobs!

Craig

I saw Fibre Stream at the Hull Digital and Humber Mud meets a few weeks back.
I'm not so sure about it to be honest, all just seems to be hype smoke and mirrors about what exactly is going on. I remember someone asking a difficult question to one of the couple of guys there and getting quite bluntly shrugged off. Doesn't sound very sturdy to me but let's see how it goes. Might be worth keeping an eye on just because it's not KC.
Didn't know about the Hull Broadband. I'll have to look at that. Would love to stop paying KC.
1st Oct 09 04:10

High Treason

I completely agree, and there broadband isn't much faster than Dial-Up, even their ADSL2+ service.

Also they don't count your usage accurately and it ends up costing a lot. Their instructions are also wrong, because I host services (Gopher/Telnet and a few other things) from my house, I have to use alternative connection devices and set them up manually (No problem, I'm a qualified ICT Practitioner) but they told me that the line uses G.DMT modulation, It does not, it is using ANSI T1.413 Issue 2.

You will be pleased to know that there are already other providers, one of them is QuickLine and the other I think was called Hull Broadband, the latter boasts speeds much higher than Karoo can achieve and runs through a transceiver device. Also we are set to receive Fibre Optic lines, as they are required by at least 2012. These lines are being laid by fibrestream because KC refused to lay them themselves, insisting that their ADSL was far superior, We all know it isn't, and to back it up, my friend is quite highly qualified in such fields, and stands by fibre optic being better... The Fibre optic lines are NOT CONTROLLED BY KC - Which means that other providers will be in the city within a few years.

At the present time, we are stuck as the laughing stock of the Internet in this country.

However, there is nothing to stop another ISP getting a licence to use our existing lines, they just won't because they believe they would fail to profit.

Also, the ADSL2+ that karoo offers is supposed to go up to 24Mbit/s throughput, but I still can't find a place where this can be achieved, Even right next to KC, you will struggle to hit 16Mbit/s on an ADSL2 line, when I worked across the road from KC, we had Satellite internet, which wasn't provided by KC, it was business internet of course, but I used to laugh at that big satellite dish that we had plonked right under KC's nose.

B@man

Agreed - live in Beverley and am also cursed with Kcom, download speeds are pathetic at less than 500Kbps due to where I live, if they up the speed it drops out every few days.

They keep promising "Fibre to the cabinet" will resolve this but there does not appear to be ANY investment at all so after several years of a poor service I am also looking at 3G solutions, if enough people desert them they may have to inject some cash into improving their network, Kcom used to be great as we were one of the first areas to have digital telephone exchanges, not any more if someone else came in to the area they would clean up.

The other big problem is that we cannot get a bundled deal, by the time you have paid for phone line rental, broadband & Multi channel TV you have spent somewhere near £50 a month to get the same as someone who has virgin can get for under £30

Lee Tranmer

Yes there is a trial but not for a while yet. and there lines will offer 100mb so I have heard, if this is true I dont know but this come from a trustworthy source
21st Aug 09 05:08

Lee Tranmer

KC to not hold anything over hull, they would sell there lines. but other ISPs dont want to enter hull, so let me expalan why:

KC can not just offer 1 line to rent, that would just be stupid. so KC say to people like tiscali or any other ISP they can buy 10,000 lines to rent, but the other ISPs dont think enouth people would come over from KC to make it worth there while. anyway whats so bad about KC? u know BT offer in most areas a crummy 2-8MB line, and end up getting 1MB. at least with KC you get a good download speed. im on a 16MB download speed and I get 9.2MB thats fast considering im over 2 miles away from the exchange. so lets give KC a brake poor guys getting blamed for everything these days
21st Aug 09 05:08

Grumpy old man

KC don't run a monopoly and if you say this to any official, then there will be firm rebuttal and the attention will divert from the issue. Hull Telephones (as it was) have made strategic choices about how many exchanges to put in to cover the area. Given that it was council owned, they didn't pay any rent/rates for the buildings, so they put loads in. If this were a BT area, then there would be about 2 max exchanges for the area, we have something like 27.

This means that any telecom/broadband providers coming to the area have to put kit into 14 times more exchanges that elsewhere for a potential market of 350,000 subscribers.

On top of that the cable site that KC have used for the first 1km is 0.3mm. In BT land it is 0.5mm. This makes the DSLAMs more expensive for anyone coming into Hull.

So, there is no monopoly, embargo of "stopping" of anyone else coming to the area other than it is very expensive for them to get into the area because of KC's choices.

The only way forward is for someone to come an cable up with Fiber. It looks like it is happening, so we live in hope in this small corner of England.

On top of that KC have written to me saying that they are going to give me another 2p off my favorites per month; put my bill up by 47p a month and reduce the DD discount by 49p per month. So, in the end, they are going to scam nearly another £4.2M in revenue from its customers to prop up its inadequate board.

Mickey P

All KC lines in Hull are illegal through “tying” under the UK Competition Act which has been permitted by Ofcom which is restricting consumer choice and other Communication Providers building the case for the delivery of broadband services into the Hull area.

KC “tie” the line by making the purchase of a KC line conditional on the purchase of their local phone calls since if you do not agree to this to cannot purchase the line.

This requires legal action in the UK Courts as Ofcom do not wish to act on this since they permitted the situation to arise in the first place and should never have permitted the “tying” of all domestic and business lines. This is a huge problem for them. BT would never have been permitted to “tie” lines and calls.

Ofcom need to do a complete “drains up” in Hull with regards to KC as there are many tariffs available to SPECIFIC ! business customers that are not published !!!!
The OFT should also investigate the “tying” under unfair contract terms.

Ofcom have failed to regulate the market – for one reason or another !

Mike S - t: 07860 565291

Yorkshirelass

I think that Kingston Communications are still in the stone age and need some competition! I have had an extremely bad experience with them after moving to the area a few months ago. They are over priced, provide a rubbish service and they have NO customer service skills whatso ever.

caroline

theres supose to be a new trial in hull from another provider... on anlaby road for now... then moving across hull .....could anyone tell me if this is true

Linx

There is a company now offering Broadband and connectivity to businesses in Hull. www.eastridingtelecom.co.uk. If you're issues are business related I suggest you check them out.

Mark

Agreed. This isn't good for small businesses either. When Kingston has a problem, your business can be down. There appears to be little urgency, and no out-of-hours support from KC. They need competition to get them moving. We should all write to the Yorkshire and Humberside Regional Development Agency to get things moving

littleman

I'm really hacked off with having Kingston communications for my broadband and telephone supplier. I really do feel mistreated and charged a lot. I hardly make calls from my home phone and get charged a fortune for having aline just to have broadand. I think I shall use my little mobile as a connection and cut off my phoneline. Just means no more online gaming for the kids!
3rd Jun 09 03:06

wa1115

The best laugh is that Talk Talk sales department is in prospect centre in Hull City Centre. I used to work there and it was so annoying that people rang through to Hull to buy something we cant even get! Its Crazy!!!!!! Boycot KC go mobile broadband PAYG and use SKYPE for your calls its miles cheaper.

Insaine_dude

I tell you mate you dont want BT, Im with them and Im paying for option 3 at £28 for a none exsistant up to 8 meg conection, which only gives me from 512kb peak to 1.5 meg at silly oclock in the morning - and for that I get bullied to pay on time which to them is 3 monthes in advance and £7.50 for not paying within the week of the bill hitting the post system...

if you ever have the chance move to manchester, get bulldog and revel in your 30 meg conection

Wobbler

I am particularly annoyed that I am paying £19/month for a 2Mb (megaBIT not megaBYTE) per second connection and never achieving more than half that capacity, despite living in a central (Beverley) area. What KC are doing is ILLEGAL!!!!!!

Scrap TV Licence

Come to the bIsle of Man
We pay £39 per month for broadband because we have a monopoly supplier called Manx Telecom.

Dan

The prices you see advertised by talktalk tiscali o2 etc... Are all based on if you are on llu if your not you will pay £15 plus for your broadband alone. To be on a llu you would ned a provider to be able to use their own equipment to put it simply and I cant see kc letting anyone in their exchanges.
I pay £29.99 per month for my broadband but only on pay as you go on line rental so that is just £21 a qurter so the broadband is expensive but the line is good value because we donteven have a phone pluged in we use mobiles so change your line to pay as you go and save

Changing The face of Telecoms

Its all about to change, well for businesses first, one step at a time...visit cobus.co.uk

Hullnet

I'm trying to entice another provider into Hull. visit my non profit making website www.hullnet.co.uk for more information. I'm not affilliated with any company, just a local bloke trying to get hull some fair competition.

www.hullnet.co.uk

Marcy

I am very unhappy with the pricing of broadband and feel I should be able to choose who I use. KC can charge way too much as their is no competition. It should not be aloud!

Aly Smith

I work for The Utility Warehouse, we offer all KC residential customers
Free local calls
Free UK calls
Free calls to 10 international destinations
Low cost calls to mobiles
To find out more, please call me on 0800 458 9460
or see my website www.ilovecheaperbills.co.uk
2nd Mar 09 08:03

B Reynolds

Re BT in Hull
If you live in Hull and ask BT for a new line, BT will agree to install one, subject to a connection fee. You then receive a letter saying that the engineer will be out on x date, but he never arrives.
Then when you call BT back up again, BT deny all knowledge of any of this, say sorry and book another appointment.
This can drag on for months and they never see an engineer.

Are BT providing new lines or are they using CPS or LCR over the KC network?
2nd Mar 09 09:03

hull

Hi guys.
First time posting on here I am Jack Higgins the recently appointed Hull Regional Account Manager for BT. I have been in this for position for about 6weeks now and have been seeing business within the Hull area. The main reason for me been in this position is to share BT’s plans for Hull, BT have committed to an investment within the Hull area and we are currently exploring how it will be best to provide our full products and services. BT entering the Hull area marks a significant change to BT policy and this is a result of intensive market research and also active captaining from the local MP for Hull.
I would be happy to speak to any business that would be interested in speaking to me about BT’s plans for Hull and also products that we currently have that are available in Hull.
My contact details are as follows:
E: jack.higgins@btlocalbusiness.co.uk
T: 0800282282
I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards.

morley

I really dislike the the structure of billing from KCom (I think it is a rip off) The majority of my friends and family live outside of the area so most of my calls are not local and I get no benifit from the free call system. I feel I do not recieve value for money from the service - then of course add my broadband bill to this and it is expensive compared to the rest of the country.

Tribal-Wolf

Hull is open to other isp's but they wont come in because of the profit margin. I personally hate the apckage because of the price more than anything. If we had a bt line we good get great deals from sky etc but as it stands we have zero choice and KC charge whatever they want because of it, this is where someone should step in, if they cant provide us with similar deals to bt customers then they shold be forced to cut the cost instead of raping the local community.
3rd Feb 09 03:02

spunk bubble

I think everyone in hull should stand up to Kingston Communications and not pay the bills it is not on us people from hull should be held to ransom

Liam

I live in Hull near Cottingham road and a friend told me to check out www.Serverx1.Net, which I did. He claims they have superior ADSL2 services compared to karoo and available to KC customers. The prices start at £30 a month, he knows this because his brother uses them and said the service is double the speed of his old karoo connection!! I will sign up when my contact end with karoo in February 2009 and report back.

Chris

Hi there, I'm conscious of being rude by spamming links, but this one is relevant to the article in question. If you feel it rude then please - of course - remove it.

www.dial132.com is currently signing up residential customers for cheaper telephone calls over Hull Kingston Communications telephone lines.
2nd Dec 08 11:12

unhappy chappy

I live in hull my current bill for broadband landline and mobile is a staggering £95 per month now if kc where more reasonable in there priceing structure renting there lines to other providers o2 to name just one would greatly reduce this bill so I for one feel lripped off due to the simple fact I live in hull

Alan

I've lived in Hull for over 10 years, it's driving me insane that there is no choice of operator for phone and broadband.
I want phone broadband and TV all from one supplier at a competative rate, but that seems to much to ask in Hull. I'm so sick of this I've put a website together to try and gather interest from another supplier. If you want to try and get another supplier into Hull join me at www.hullnet.co.uk

The Humber Bridge is next! heehe!

Geordie A

Hull and the residents must be approx 20,000 miles behind the remainder of the country.

Damn! My BT broadband is pretty good. 880mb Xvid DivX avi feature film in just over 10 minutes. Top quality picture.

Something does not read right. How come there are no other IP in this area?
23rd Oct 08 03:10

Stopthismonopoly

To quite honest, we are sick of this monopoly. The lack of competition is killing the town itself. I am even surprised that nothing is done from the MPs, and others. Does it mean that they are corrupted? Surely, something needs to be done with this monopoly in the 21st century. Or are we still in the 19th century in Hull?
22nd Oct 08 09:10

Biscit

Broadband providers have the same right under the law to access Kingston's local loop as they do BT's. They are not being blocked from entering the Hull market, they are chosing not to because it's the same hassle as they have setting up their deals with BT for a tiny market.

Docko

I pay £20 per month for around a 1 to 2 gig service (that's what I actually get despite the "up to 8gb" rubbish KC claim), plus £35 per month for my landline phone bill.

I bumped into a fellow from Milton Keynes and for a total of £55 per month he is getting - 2 gig broadband, full sky sports package (cost £45 in Hull), setanta (£14 in Hull), and his landline calls. His mate from the same area didn't have sky sports or setanta but had the rest and paid £30 per month.

They are paying 40% of the cost that Hull residents have to pay to get the same.

WE ARE BEING RIPPED OFF.

Living in Hull (Hell)

KC disliker,
judging by all the posts on here about how great Talk Talk are, I'm sure a lot of their customers might consider moving to Hull just to get away from them and their wonderful FREE broadband.

Not Impressed!

I agree whole heartedly with your views on this matter. My family has been living in Hull for almost 3 years now and I have had to endure this one operator. I am quitely hoping, expecting someone, somewhere to do something about the situation.
Logic and common sense must prevail. I thought we lived in a democracy, yet here is a clear indication we are being oppressed.
I have told my wife to limit her use of the landline to emergencies only. Wish there was a way to fight back against this tyranny.

KC disliker

I live in hull and I work on behalf of talkTalk and every day I'm sellingpackages with FREE braodband where available and if not £15 with anytime calls at 20.99(free) or 35.99(£15) but I have noticed that in all of the areas around hull even though BT own lines out of hull area they haven't any equipment (which allows them to give FREE broadband) in any of the areas(mainly East Riding) near hull, which I think is because of KC and they only go so far knowing they can't come to hull.

Also for KC to provide a broadband service with a realistic download limit is £29.99 per month compared to 10gig for £16.99 then £1 every gig after.

TalkTalk at the worst £35.99 (inc line rental and anytime calls) or BT line rental £10.50 plus broadband with AOL £17 still better than KC because that price dosn't include line rental.

Even Carphone warehouse stores in hull don't advertise AOL or TalkTalk services in Hull but thats one of the main things in them stores anywhere else

Just a few facts and figures.

Steve Jackson

Mark, thanks for your advise, I contacted airnet and I am signing up for their 8Meg service. They advised me that it was 20:1 contention with no capped limits, a through-put of around 800Kbs! This actually worked out better than Karoo for the quality of service, there is also only a minimum of 1 Month contracts optional so no risk giving them a try! I think this as long overdue and cant wait to try their service!

markJ

Try Air Net Services Ltd. - They provide super rapid ADSL through KC Lines in Hull! WEB:- www.AirNetServices.co.uk PHONE:-0800 916 8570

Noddy

I was just looking on upgrading my internet as I am only getting a 1.2mb connection when it should me 5mb. But when I looked they now only offer 3 types of internet...and they have a usage limit on then, a £47 set up charge and a £5 delivery.

I dont mind only having 1 ISP but they need to be better priced and alot more options.

Thommo

I have no problems with Karoo. Their speeds are fine and the prices competitive. However, I would like a choice in principle and now that Kingston Communications have lowered their wholesale prices it is up to the other ISPs to sort it.
3rd Jun 08 12:06

Davey

The people of Hull are being ripped off by Karoo (KC-Coms) We pay twice "in-fact" sometimes triple the price compared to the rest of the UK for only half if that of the speed!

Angie

Other options should be available to the Hull users! This is madness !!!

revisionmajig

I am planning on getting wireless broadband and I live in Hull. I've never had Internet and I decided to check the Karoo website for their prices. I was shocked and appalled to find the uncompetitive, ridiculous prices that Karoo charge. Karoo have somehow generated a purely disgusting monopoly out of the Hull area. How did it get like this? Can anybody tell me? I would love to see more competition in this industry. Email me at revisionmajig@googlemail.com
1st May 08 07:05

Concerned Parent

I would have no gripe about Kingston Communications being my internet service provider if they made their prices more competetive. I get free phone calls and texts on my mobile phone and consequently could manage without my home landline for making and receiving calls. However, I have to pay £20 per month to have a landline just so that I can have broadband internet access. This means that I am effectively paying a total of £37 per month to be able to have broadband internet.

ANGRY MAN

Re: the recent petition; if other providers are able to access the KCOM networks then why aren't they? One can only assume that there pricing policy is outragous and unworkable, henceforth no other ISPs are interested in suppling a service.

Loraine

I've got a 3 modem, and it's great. I struggled on a mobile usb connection at £45 a month (Orange) for 12 months, because KC won't give me internet. Apparently you need a fabulous credit rating for them to do it, I'm not even allowed outgoing landline calls. 3 didn't have a single problem and I was connected in 3 days. I pay £25 a month for the highest package, and to be honest, unless you're going to be downloading huge stuff or surfing for 24 hours a day it's well worth the money, and it's alot faster than my uncles KC, which has mood swings and goes offline when it feels like it. T mobile won't do mboile internet in Hull, the signal isn't strong enough, so if you're fed up of KC ripping you off, go and have a look at 3 mobile broadband.

moodymick

We have a hot spot round here which saves me money, next door aint happy????

moodymick

The Londoner "Have the incentive, leave this Lancashire bit behind you" sorry for all us Lancashire people laughing at you but I guess geography isnt a strong point in your life. We all know Londons in Norfolk we aint fick geezer mate.

moodymick

Did you know people when you send an email a copy of it goes straight to KC where they have staff checking them, dont know if this is a regular practice with other phone companies, I went to a recruitment agency and was told there could be a job coming up at KC checking emails for swear words ect

Pimpdanglydogg

Kingston communication are ripping off all the poor telecom users of HULL. When will it stop please start a petition and I will gladly hand it over ot them.

wicked simon

I have also done the petition, welldone to the person who did it. Hope it will open the gates to more competition in Hull for Broadband!!

Tinkerman

Thanks YummyHotdog, I will do that petition, hope more will do the same from the Karoo Network!

YummyHotdog

Fair point Tinkerman. Not for everyone, but they do offer higher Gb options (For a price). 3Gb is enough for donwloading music, but not too many videos I guess. Sooner pay Three than KC though!

Petition up and running

Tinkerman

Hi Yummy Hotdog, It is a good idea to use 3 broadband modem but only if your a light user (3GB download a month), I download with Karoo (20gb a month) but agree with wicked simon and others that Karoo are a rip off.

Rang AOL,BT, TISCALI for a better deal but you have use Karoo in Hull (east yorkshire), so Pimpdanglydogg I would sign that petition aswell!!!!

Pimpdanglydogg

Before all this 4 deal packages if you didnt make a single call you knew your quarterly charge was around 20quid now thats just a distant dream even on the most basic package they are still reaping in the benefits its time we stood together and made a point if we don't do not expect OFCOM to do anything.

Unite and demand what should be our choice. Someone please start a petition I will sign it first!!!

Yummy Hotdog

We do have a choice in Hull!!! Just purchased a 3 broadband modem. £15 per month, free modem, download test speeds over 1.4Mb / s and 1.1Mb/s upload. Works a charm, really impressed. Kicks ass on karoo for speed, reliability and customer support.
2nd Feb 08 05:02

Yummy Hotdog

@ The Londoner
Hull is NOT in Lancashire, you ignoranus.
1st Feb 08 03:02

appaps

Guys and Girls
Try wireless broadband by 3, vodafone or T mobile. KC will just go bust.
all the best

The Londoner

I care not for this place Hull. Must be some kind of toilet to not have real, good old fashioned Broadband. What a dated village.

I care for Hull just as much as that of the Rt. Hon. Gordon Brown.

Stop moaning about it and stop being reactive. Go found a job and a home in Southern England.

Have the incentive, leave this Lancashire bit behind you.
23rd Jan 08 09:01

Steve

Hello

How comes Kingston have the monopoly ? Do you know of many people who cannot get Broadband in Hull ?
23rd Jan 08 12:01

wicked simon

I agree Kingston Communications should not have the monopoly with Broadband and Telephone network. What happened about free competition!

Why do we pay more for second hand cars, no real jobs or opportunities in the area and an influx of immigration from other countries! Now we have to pay more for broadband and telephone than anyone in the uk.

Wish I could move but have to live here!

Nunya

Karoo are a rip off!

The good people of hull are being ripped off!

Please Mr. Branson of virgin SAVE US!!!!!!!

todpipe

Ive just come across one with kc thats really p__ed me off. I became aware that kc was doing a service upto 8mbs for thrity pounds a month. The thing is ive been paying that for over a year now and not even getting 2mbs! Customer services told me that I should of known about this and applied to get this 8mbs. Talk about bullsh_t. This wont be the last of this as they said no compensation will be offered.
22nd Dec 07 11:12

south coast man

I have a simple solution for you. Move away from Hull. Not only will you be able to get decent broadband, but you'll be able to live somewhere else, and anywhere else is better than Hull. KC are, incidentally, a joke - you can be pretty sure they'll be out of business in the next 2 years.

Dany Boy in Cambridge

Is Hull in some sort of timewarp completely controlled by Nazis?

On a bad day I DL at 60 Megs a minute and I'm not entirely happy with this service. I'm connected to the BT exchange outside my home which does help. Later at night this DL speed doubles which, is quite nice.

Anon

I think it's disgusting that kc will not let us use any other Internet connection/phone line connection in the Hull area. They are obviously very frightened that they will lose a lot of customers, and rightly so, the service they provide is absolutely disgusting, the customer service is appalling and no-one seems to know what is happening when you ring up with a problem to be solved. Also the price of the services they provide is also a rip off, sky can offer phone/broadband and sky all for £26.00 a month, why can't they try and get into something like sky and provide us with the services we deserve.

unhappy-in-Hull

I used to be quite happy with the service I got from KC. Cheap line rental and calls, but then the rot set in...........
My broadband is up and down like a yo-yo and doesn't always connect. If I was in another part of the country getting a service like this I would change providers very quickly. But it seems that Ofcom has looked into this monopoly and decided that it is fine for KC to do this to us all!!!!

Nick On The Thames

Thanks! Like I wrote earlier, couldn't care less about this Hull place. It must be somekind of toilet anyhow, gotta be, it's miles away from London town.

Londoners suck

Nick you're a looser, and a selfish looser at that. So typical of selfish people who live and work in London, they don't give a damn about anyone except themselves. London is the sweaty unwashed multicultural armpit of the UK. You're welcome to it!

Nick On The Thames

Couldn't care less about Hull wherever it is. Right here in London we get the best and this is all that counts.

Digs

MEP Diana Wallis is one person to email with support for tackling the Kingston Communications monopoly situation. She has been taking the problem up in the European Parliament. KC say they don't block competition... they just charge silly money for BT, tiscalli and the like for putting their equipment into KC exchanges, way more than BT charge in their own exchanges. That's blocking competition in my book.

The service KC give is terrible. £18 for half meg service that constantly drops my connection. If you ring up and complain they say, you have the option to cancel your service.... leaving you with what option???

Mean while BT are rolling out FULL digital exchanges across the country in their 21CN project, which will make KC exchanges look like something from the dark ages.

Fed up KC customer

Anywhere where a petition can be started? Why am I paying nearly £20 a month for a broadband service a 1/4 of the speed of Tiscali's current £6.50 per month offer?!!! Plus I'm STILL having to pay line rental and I can't have internet phonecalls?! Why oh why are they allowed to so blatantly rip us off?!
23rd Nov 07 10:11

petehinch

Ya time we all in Hull had a choice. They once told me to f**k off on the phone when I complained about their service its a disgrass. God I miss BT now, so please please BT get ya a***s in Hull and do us a favour we will even call our stadium the BT stadium lol.

DG

As I sit here waiting for KC broadband to connect and wondering if there is time to make another coffee before it does, I have read all the comments by other disgruntled uses about the lack of competition and choice, and wonder just how much as been done and by whom to bring the OFCOM regulators into the real world. I would be pleased to hear whether anybody has contacted them to date, and if so, what sort of response was received.

revolution

why is hull always backward in everything? why do hull residents allow to be cheated? will hull ever become a great city? And why should KC be a monopoly while the regulators sit and do nothing. Hull residents, wake up! And where the h-ck is dial up being used in the world? Hull?please scrap dial because it's useless

usedtouseaol

KC dont let you choose because they know everyone would go back to using aol.
23rd Sep 07 04:09

Ck

KC should be forced to bring its prices and services in line with the rest of the country. All this talk about fair trade, anti trust laws etc etc is rubbish.... We as consumers are suffering big time, and have to face the arrogance of the KC monolpoly. wake up, the so called "regulators !!!!!!!"
23rd Sep 07 04:09

Thommo

Whilst not having a choice is wrong and a pain I actually have no gripes with the service I have received. Fibblehead - it's easy to stick up for something that you dont have a problem with. I'm sorry if that's not your experience but dont assume its the same for everyone.

The problem isn't just with KC either. BT aren't interested in expanding into Hull since its only a small area compared to the rest of the UK. The regulator needs to intervene.

You can get other broadband - through your mobile. I have a friend whoi has it included a part of his mobile phone package. Whilst it's not as good as a land line yet, it isn't that far behind and it is catching up quickly...

Craig

With regards to "never having a problem".. that's rubbish. We've had Karoo half meg broadband for just over a year now and have had a number of problems whereby the system goes down for several hours at a time! I spoke to a colleague about the new packages for "Upto 8MB" and he told me not to switch because they've adopted a queue type system whereby the later you connect, the slower your speed unless you pay them either £25 or £30 to maintain the maximum speed, which you rarely get! KC even admitted on Radio Humberside not so long ago that they have one of the oldest, most tired telecommunications systems in the country, and are very slowly trying to update and improve it!

Cra

We are getting ripped off and forced to pay whatever price KC feel fit because they know it is either them or NOTHING!!!!
21st Jun 07 02:06

Anna in Devon

Hi
Sounds like a horrible situation. I'm really pleased for those commenters who say that the service is great - presumably you wouldn't change even if you did have a choice. The fact remains that the original griper has a very good point here - you guys in Hull should have the option to make a real choice. I'd suggest writing to OFCOM, and also to your local MP. OFCOM have always been pretty good in forcing change based on customer comment - look at the way the made BT open up the market to competition. BT weren't even allowed to compete on price for a long time (I think it was 10 or 15 years) to ensure that the monopoly situation wasn't maintained by simply undercutting newer starting businesses who didn't have the financial security of such a big company. You can send info to OFCOM through their website - get all you neighbours to do it too!!

flibblehead

I honestly don't know how some of these posters can stick up for Kingston Communications! I mean it's pretty obvious they're struggling as a business anyhow as they're trying to sell up. This is obviously part n parcel with the MASSIVE rise in line rental last year, our bill went up 200% (we only use it for broadband). When I went in to complain the first thing the receptionist said was 'We're not a monopoly' I hadn't mentioned anything of the sort, she'd probably been getting hassle all month long lol.

As for the broadband, I completely agree it SHOULD be illegal and it is illegal, KC get away with it because enough people aren't making a stand, as long as hull citizens keep taking it up the a**e from KC there'll be no change REVOLT!

Kev

Baulk may need the Hull Royal Infirmary one day and therefore not be so narrow minded !

corus emloyee

I work in scunthorpe on the steelworks and live in hull because my wife who cannot drive has a vital job at hull royal infirmary not only am I penelised for my lack of service providers but also get shafted by the humber bridge board!!!

happyish customer

OK, we have no choice and yup it is more expensive and no there is no combined phone and broadband option BUT...I have used Kingston Broadband for about 4 years I think - and in that time I have never had a problem. I always get on line, and it always does exactly what it should.

I suspect that record is not shared by many other providers, I certainly know that in some areas the hype and promises of say Broadband have come at a price of poor service and poor connectivity. Does Kingston have good customer service? I don't know as I've never had to call them.
2nd Mar 07 09:03

Gotta laugh!

I'm surprised that you even have the option of broadband in Hull. Judging by the first comment posted on this gripe I assumed that when it was 7.20pm in the rest of the country it was still 1920ad in Hull!

The best thing to do is re-balance the equation globally and move to either Afganistan, Pakistan, India or any other country in the world that is more advanced than Hull. You would even help the overcrowding problem.

For every resident of Hull that agrees to move to one of these countries the government should be obliged to place one immigrant in Hull. After a short time they would realise they were better off back home and leave. There you have it, your broadband problems solved along with immigration in one fell swoop. I think I should run for Prime Minister!
22nd Feb 07 12:02

Kingston comm worker.

There are too many back handers being given to M.P's and councilors for anything to change in Hull. If you have a orange mobile phone you miss out on Free broadband. and also the same if you are a Sky customer livimg in hull. Hull Braodband users also pay more than anyone else in the country for a inferior service.

Baulk

Tough turds. Live in the "Land of Green Ginger", off the beaten track, in the middle of absolutely nowhere, and you will have no choice whatsoever. Hull is a hulk!, of no consequence. Just look after the Humber Bridge. That's your job. Lincolnshire has no need of you.