Virgin credit card problems and account issues

I've been having some problems with my Virgin credit card recently and not sure where I stand.  The obvious thing to do would be to ring them but Ive just spent 45 minutes on hold to a national rate line before hanging up so thought I'd post my annoyance here!

It all started about 2 months when I lost my Virgin credit card.  I rang them to report the card lost and they said that they would cancel it for me.  Anyway, three weeks later I still had no replacement card so I rang them and discovered that the original card was still active!  The only saving grace was that it hadn't been used.

I ordered a new credit card and it arrived very quickly in the post.  I never even opened the letter as I knew what it was and dont generally take the card out unless I need it.  So around my normal credit card payment time I logged into my account like I always do and noticed that the balance was at zero and there was nothing to pay.  I assumed that the reason for this was that they had transferred the balance to the new card which would be on my account shortly.  It said on screen that that no payments were due so I thought nothing more of it.

£150 of late payment charges - I couldn't get through to anyone to query these charges

A week later the same again, another week and another week.  As nice as it was not having to pay, I thought I best call them up to find out what was going on.  I type in my card number only to find that I have been hit with about £150 of late payment charges!  To make matters worse I couldn't get through to anyone to query these charges.  Stuck on hold, don't you just love it?

A wallet with credit cards I wasn't aware that not only do I get issued a new credit card number, but I also have to set up a new account for the new card in order to view financial details!  Is it that unrealistic of me to assume that the old card details would get discarded and the new ones added to my existing online account?  I wouldn't have thought so.  So I thought I would try and set up the new card, typed in all the details and low and behold I received the dreaded message: 'Our servers are currently unavailable'.

I'm not quite sure what to do now.  I quite happily paid off my arrears for the month which I thought I was getting free but I am not happy about having to pay these charges!  Should I just accept the shafting as I knew that I should have made a payment a few weeks ago?  I am not aware of any letters being sent to the family home where the card is registered.

I have since found a free phone number which is a small consolation but I have better things to do than spending half an hour holding a telephone.  My credit card is now over its limit so I am concerned that I am going to keep getting hit my more charges until I conjure up almost £200!

I don't know how Richard Branson sleeps at night.  Probably quite well on his pillow stuffed with my 20 notes!

By: Steve L

Miss. hardworking and trustworthy!

Miss. hardworking and trustworthy!

Richard Branson, I hope he reads this!! Your company is taking people who is trying to repay their debt to the clearners! Ive written to the FSO this morning, Im trying to repay the card back but with charges on charges its mission impossible. Its the biggest mistake I have ever made getting this card. I was agreed a "repayment" plan and now got a letter in the post after paying the agreed fee that they are taking me to the cleaners! What the hell?! Your staff don't give a damn, and apparently my lively hood is all based on a compute saying yes or no! Richard we have families and for those who are trying to repay our debt back give us a chance, instead of charging us charges on charges! We have families to feed, jobs to keep and to be honest not an island to maintain! Please have a word with yourself! i am disgusted your have the worst staff in the world.I hope you sleep easy at night. i don't right not because of it all!

D. Ashworth

D. Ashworth

My Credit card is not recognized by virgin account, despite having been used many times. This has been brought to the attention of the supervisors several times without any change. To save money and time I will stop all transactions with Virgin and let them suffer the loss of income..

Mrs.sickofcreditcards!!

Mrs.sickofcreditcards!!

Virgin is the only credit card I have had problems with. I closed my account with them but unfortunately they still let direct debits come out which I find ridiculous if the account is closed it should be closed as far as I'm concerned. A direct debit came out nevertheless!! I paid the whole amount off, the payment came out of my bank account on the day it was due and now I find they have charged me a late fee!! Wonderful!! I will never deal with virgin again as long as I live!!

Nic

Nic

I got tempted back to Virgin Credit Card but I'm so sick of their system being so slow and I have had the same problems with the late charges and payments taking forever. Barclaycard has been fine for me and Halifax too. I did moan at Virgin but its too little to late, i'm not impressed and going elsewhere.

Grumpy Old Woman

Grumpy Old Woman

My husband has had problems with Virgin. If you think you have a justifiable complaint do contact the Financial Ombudsman. Not enough folk air their complaints these days and that is why companies with unfair practices get away with so much to their detriment whilst companies like Virgin just continue to hike up their interest.
2nd Mar 11 08:03

david

david

all these storys sound just like I am reading my own dealings with this card I had a £14,000 limit on my card with no missed payments I allways paid well over the required payment I have a very high credit rating they just cancelled my card with no warning they said they were being a responsable lender what would of happened if I had been abroad I could of been stranded this company should be closed down they have not even got a proper bank so you can pay in directly avoid

Siju

Siju

I have same kind of problem, Once you got your virgin credit card and don't know how to set your online account, you will be pinched.. by their charge. Virgin will not send any card statement or they will not warn you about your due date.. The end result is you loos all your promotional offers.. What a shame on Virgin Money Customer Care..

Shelly Welly

Shelly Welly

I have the same problem as your last writer - paid on tiime - came out of my bank account before my due date but was hit with a late payment and they cancelled my IFC facility. Have moved my balance to a more reputable provider and will do my upmost to make sure no one else is RIPPED OFF. Is this false advertising - 16month 0% balance transfer? I could go to the ombudsman but best to vote with feet (or money) and bad publicity!!!
22nd Dec 10 11:12

Jen

Jen

My 0% with Virgin Credit Card is due to end on 24th Jan 2011. I tried to pay my outstanding balance from my current account this month (Nov 2010) on the phone, but I was told that if I pay before the end of 0% (24/01/2011) duration I will be charged. So, does this mean that I will have to wait until Jan 24th 2011? Surely I should be able to pay the full amount as I have the money to pay now. I don't understand their T&C too complicated for my normal brain!!
Could you please share your experience?

Jen

Jen

Could you please share your experience?

rambo

rambo

yes I have had problems with my virgin credit card as well so your not alone,I have a MBNA as well which I found out is of the same as virgin,so when I made the two payments at my bank,the payments went to one account and virgin charged me 30.00 latepayment fee and my next payment shot up and I was charged more interest.I called them and they agreed and refunded my money but then they added interest on top again the next month and refused to take it off.
To be honest there a nightmare and I wish I never had to have the damn card and I am finding it hard to pay it off.I cannot wait to see the day branson empire collapes right on top of his fat head.

Mike

Mike

Same happened to me - paid £150 odd for balance transfer and then set up standing order except I paid three days too early and they classed it as a late payment ...result two months later £50+ charges (inc interest) and THEY WILL NOT PUT BE BACK ON 0%. They do not want to know. I will never use virgin again.

CHAS

CHAS

Would you please, please, please have a clear entry that says account payment direct. I spend at least half a hour each month trying to pay off my account and cannot get into it.
1st Jun 10 08:06

Art

Art

My advice to anyone thinking of using Virgin Credit is beware, read the fine print or better still and look for a more honest provider. I made an early payment, which Virgin classed as late and then applied full interest on an account that was set up with 0% interest for 10 months. Virgins last date of payment is the 28th of the month, I had paid a March payment on time and then made my next payment on the 3rd April (due to holiday) to cover the following month. Virgin classed this as a late payment and applied full interest on a 0% interest account. There are many other means of catching an unsuspecting punter within their Term & Conditions and it is clear that the offer of 0% interest is simply the bait on the end of a very nasty hook. I shall pay up my account and never use any Virgin products in future. I would like to know just how many other punters Virgin have stitched up.

Ed

Ed

I was lured to a Virgin card by their 0% promotion so got a card and transferred a couple of balances in October 09. Unfortunately I thought I had filled in a direct debit form- innocent mistake- and missed 1st payment but phoned and paid by debit card a week late. Set up direct debit for next payment- end of story? NO! Next statement I'm punished with £12 late payment charge - my fault- I can live with it I thought! Sat back expecting no hassle or charges for 12 months - too complacent - dead right! I paid more than a cursory glance at my Feb statement and realised £150 of interest had been charged since taking out the card ( on 0% interst you'll remember). Staight on the phone to Virgin, turns out I had should have read the very small print pointing out I would lose the promotion rate and be charged the full rate on the balances I had originally transferred. Did I get any money refunded - Don't be silly. I hope you sleep well at night Richard - I'm a pensioner and can't afford to lose £162 to you!!
1st Mar 10 07:03