No alcohol free beer in UK pubs

Alcohol free beer?  You've got to be kidding.  It looks like it's really not cool to be tee-total in Britain.  If you fancy an alcohol free night out and want to take the car there really isn't much to choose from at the pub when it comes to drinks.  Where's the alcohol free beer?  And how much are you charging me for that glass of coke?

more expensive than the alcoholic equivalent

Here in the UK we seriously have the wrong attitude to alcohol.  You just have to turn on the TV or open a newspaper and you will be swamped with stories about binge drinking, drink driving and alcohol related violence.  Drink driving is probably the main thing that constantly grabs the headlines and yet the industry and government stand by and watch without really doing anything useful to help.

I recently switched over to alcohol free beer myself and found that the local Tesco supermarket does Kaliber and Becks low alcohol at a very reasonable price.  I just can't help thinking that if the pubs and clubs did the same, and offered those who just don't want to drink a reasonable low cost alternative to alcohol, that it could definitely go some way to help fix the alcohol related issues we face in this country.

No it wasn't the alcohol free beer! Some of our pubs do cater for our friend DES!  Unfortunately they have to pay dearly for the privilege of being responsible as the alcohol free beer is just as expensive, or in some cases, more expensive than the alcoholic equivalent.  Not really likely to win over those who might consider staying sober, is it?

Kaliber Alcohol-free Lager = Hello, fair car-legal beer, OK?

Also, what about pregnant women, tee-totalers and people who have a medical condition which prevents them from consuming alcohol?  Is diet coke and the odd OJ the best the local watering hole can offer?  I think the government and alcohol industry need to pull their finger out and get a little more creative.  In my opinion relaxing the licensing laws would be a step in the right direction, but some real alternatives and some good education is needed too.

Lord barber

Those idiots that think alcohol free is not for pubs need to think again and have no brains. They need at least 1 draft alchol free beer in all pubs because if you don't want alchol you don't always want to have pop.

Nick

Great post that I couldn't agree more with. Sadly some of the comments that follow it are just ignorant. I've long been a fairly heavy social drinker who in recent years (I'm 38) has started to worry about the amount I drink. I'm currently on the wagon as a result and am finding it surprisingly easy, due in part to having Becks Blue as a substitute. But I know that if I go to a pub at some point, the temptation will be to have a few beers - unless they have something like Becks Blue available, which presumably many pubs still don't. So, actually, the point of going to the pub for a lot of people isn't to get smashed, it's to have a drink and socialise, and as I get older I'd like to focus more on the latter. We supposedly live in a responsible, progressive society in the UK, so why can't the government make it mandatory for pubs to provide better, more creative alternatives to drinking alcohol in pubs than just Coke and J2O? This would help people like me who wish to cut down/give up alcohol whilst also potentially saving lives and reducing the burden on the NHS, especially at peak times like Christmas.

It's a no-brainer.

Drunk

Don't waste our time.

jobby

Why would anyone wish to go to a pub if not to get drunk? that is what they are for after all, to drink away the stresses of this miserable, modern life. Pubs are not places for teetotalers or recovering alcoholics.

Ken

The Sheffield Tap,on the railway station,serves Erdinger non alcoholic and a decent Belgian non alcoholic beer.Sadly most pubs in S.Yorks. sell only Becks non alcoholic beer.Yuk.
On my travels in N.Yorks. I have been served Bitburg Driver in free houses.OK.
I have never been able to buy non alcoholic wine in a pub or restaurant.
Tesco do Sorelle and Asda do Fre,both are OK. as rose and white wine but non alcoholic red wine?Yuk!
Bavaria beer is in most supermarkets in regular and wheat beer form.The latter is good when chilled down to accompany a curry.
There is a specialist retailer of non alcoholic beers and wines on the Oldham side of Manchester and they do have a website.
I do not drink alcohol anymore for health related reasons but I still like to have a drink with my mates in the pub before going for a curry etc.
When you have to give up alcohol it is quite hard to find a decent drink in most pubs.Landlords have to turn a profit and ,reasonably,will not carry dead stock on their shelves,so they tend to stick to Becks or soft drinks for the likes of me.
It is just down to market forces really.
In France you can get non alcoholic Kronenburg and the Germans do Erdinger,Klausthaller and Bitburg non alcoholic beers,with Arabic on the labels,so are our brewers missing out on an export market?
Hope this info. Is of use to fellow ex drinkers who are sick of J2O etc.

ahforfoulkessake

I did try alcohol-free becks in my local wetherspoons but it tasted crap.
I personally think pubs are for drinking and if you want non-alcohol solutions have a fruit juice coke, lemonade, whatever that most pubs offer anyway.
Why should a pub thats not a big chain and the landlord is trying to earn a basic living after costs buy in crap that no-one really buys just to have an option for the occasional "pair of poofs" if they visit once in a blue moon?

ahforfoulkessake

I know it wont be agreed with by many but here goes: i think gainsborough lad has a point.
There are plenty of lemons on the road who never drink-drive or go over 30 or 40mph (depending on area limits) and yet they don't have a clue what they're doing.
Putting a limit on number of beers you can drink before driving is silly as the weekly units limit to be healthy. Different people react differently to different amounts/types of alcohol(beer/whiskey/vodka/wine etc) and there are those who can drive after a few with no bother.
In fact some Irish minister got the sack for saying 1-2 glasses would let a nervous driver take the edge off.

Chris Cuesta

Classic case of British resistance to change with the majority of pubs still 'tied' to 'pubco's' who are little different to the 'tied' houses of brewery days, over priced incoming stock, restricted choice and no innovation in case the rent goes up !
Take a look at Spain, most bars are free houses and '00' and other sin alcohol beers are readily available. It's even available on draught in many places !!
Maybe Tony Blair as our envoy for enlightened change ?

Lidman

There's always pepsi or dr pepper or mountain dew etc.

grumpyoldwoman

Monkeytoes, I've seen non or low alcohol wine for sale in supermarkets so it certainly exists. (Nearly bought some by accident once!) Keep asking in the pub, they may get the message eventually.

Monkeytoes

I'd happily drink non-alcoholic wine in pubs - but I've yet to find any pub that serves it. Are there any campaigns that are trying to address this? I understand that pubs will not stock things like this if there is a lack of demand - but many people won't ask for it if they continually get told there isn't any at each pub they go to. Many of my friends don't even know non-alcoholic wine exists...

Friendly Advice

Wow, the spam on here is incredible "Jerry". A Champagne is it? I don't think so. You might want to check with your lawyers before the Champagne producers' lawyers get to you first - and they will!

MikeP

A pub rudely refused a friend and me alcohol free/low alcohol beer - the barman called us 'a pair of poofs'. I wrote to the landlord voicing my complaint, and to the brewery which controls that pub. The landlord never bothered to reply, and the brewery wrote back and said the pub did serve alcohol free beer.

A month later I booked a table for 12 people (a group of guys doing a hike as it happens) for lunch. We took our table, ordered our food, and a round of soft drinks. When the food was being put on the table, we ordered 12 low alcohol beers, were told they didn't serve them, got up and walked out and ate our packed lunches as we continued the hike.

They now stock and serve low alcohol beer.

I would be interested to hear from someone in the trade why there is such a negative attitude to low alcohol beer (apart from the fact that other than Becks Blue it is pretty awful!)

James

I've recently been making a point of asking for alcohol free beer in each pub I go into even I. I know the don't sell it, just to get it on their radar.

It really annoys me that there's an assumption that if you're not drinking alcohol, you'll want something sweet and/or fruity. Seriously, there are fruity sweet alcoholic drinks but the majority won't be drinking them - they'll have beer or wine. Why assume different for those avoiding alcohol?

It does come down to promotion. I dot really get why the drinks industry doesn't market them more. Typically they're beer companies and wouldn't be canabalising their one sales. The potential customer will either end up with something like a coke or mineral water. And as has been pointed out above, it's not like the profit margins are smaller on the low alcohol beers.

Maybe I should write to my MP or start a facebook group or something!

Stu

Bavaria alcohol free wheat beer is now widely available in a lot of supermarkets (certainly Tesco and ASDA).
A really good beer.

Mark

My Dad recently suffered from liver cirrhosis and as a result my family has switched to Bavaria and Becks alcohol free beer (along with soft drinks obviously) and I have to say they are actually really nice! Bavaria is in tescos at the moment for 6 cans of Bavaria for about 2 quid! They are a great alternative to alcoholic beer and its so much healthier (though I tend to stick to water and milk as much as possible). But I wouldn't recommend Non-al Cobra, its pretty rank.

Gainsborough lad.

It should be made law that pubs have to sell diluted cordial drinks for a £1-00 a pint and no more, I bet there is at least 500 deaths yearly attributed to drink driving,

Someone driving who has had two or three pints of beer, should not be penalized for then later drinking non alcholic drinks instead of alcholic ones.

NH

£2.50 for a non al Becks (275ml) and £1.80 (330ml) for a non al Holston Pils in the pubs round here. For less than a pint of becks thats 5 quid!!! If the Government want to help with the binge drinking why arent they making it cheaper to buy? My mate and I went into the pub and both had a couple of bottles and put then on a credit tab, when I asked the owner how much they were my mate said HOW MUCH? and went straight for a pint of real ale for his next drink.....

John

Our experience is if it is promoted then people feel comfortable asking for it and, if the bar staff don't take the piss - which too often they still do, then it sells. It's simple. Of course it does demand on the type of pub and the clientele. There are some venues where it will be harder than others. But we receive emails daily asking why they can't get the beers we sell for home consumption in pubs. The demand is out there, it is growing and it will continue to grow as regulations (labelling, drink-driving etc) are toughened.

Clairey

It was advertised as much as anything else was. Maybe a couple of posters. I don't remember in that much detail, it was a few years ago now. But it was on the top shelf in the fridge, I remember that much. Perfectly visible. People just didn't want it.

(also, sorry about the double post, that was an accident)

Clairey

I worked in a pub for a few years, and only once was asked whether we had any alcohol free beer. The answer was no. If that gentleman had been in a few months prior the answer would have been different, but due to a complete lack of demand, almost a full crate had gone to waste; it had passed its best before date and had to be binned. From then, my boss decided not to waste money on something almost no one wanted. Instead we had a wide range of soft drinks, and any non-drinkers were going to have to make do.

Clairey

speedyward2002

I went into one b&b in skegness and they had a drivers shelf that was full of diffrent alcohol free beers,lagers and soft drinks would it hurt the goverment to make it legal that there should be the option of alcohol free in every establishment if they can ban smoking inside then I dont see why they cant do this

abysseus

Interesting viewpoint Terry. It raises many questions and points. Firstly: many would view non-alcoholic beer as just another soft drink, albeit a less sickly sweet one. Why restrict ourselves to coke and not alcohol-free beer? Secondly: coke contains the stimulant caffeine, best avoided by people with conditions similar to those described here e.g. pregnancy and heart conditions. Coke for some if not many non-drinkers is simply not an alternative. Thirdly: How exactly does broadening your customer base by providing drinks outwardly identical to your existing alcoholic range in everything other than the percentage, bring down your reputation as a pub? Fourthly: if it's a matter of taste, which I suspect it might be, are then Fanta, blue WKD, Sirrus, or sweetener-laced lemonade acceptable alternatives to your cherished beer in pubs? If not, should all drinks then be alcoholic beer? If so, should pregnant women and people with liver disorders be excluded from or forced to sit without a drink in pubs?

abysseus

I am total agreement with you here!! I live in Norway and although there is generally alcohol-free beer available in pubs, it's the same price or more expensive than it's alcoholic counterpart. For a country that is otherwise famed for its ultra nanny-state Sally Army-type conservative legislation on sales and availability of alcohol; I am surprised that this phenomenon is legal let alone in existence. I'm really not exaggerating here. A 400ml glass of beer will set you back £5 in a pub and Norway's the only country in Europe that still has wine monopols: Soviet-style outlets selling extortionately priced spirits and wine with strict opening hours and enough security guards to make a TK Maxx at Christmastime look under-guarded. And yet alcohol-free beer in pubs, where it would make most sense to make more accessible, is extortionate. I don't know whether this is due to government taxes (doubtful but possible) or pubs profiteering (more likely), but there's certainly no legislation preventing this from happening. Makes my blood boil.

Gainsborough lad.

A pint of cola, or a pint of non-alcoholic beer should by law, be available in all pubs, and be considerably cheaper than the cheapest alcoholic beer, but that's common sense and will never happen, Incidently, half a lager, and a half pint bottle of non-alcoholic lager in a pint glass is quite a good drink, and with a few pints of ice cold draught cola in-between, should keep a driver from getting drunk, yes I know the police will say no beer at all whilst driving, but some-one with the effects of a half pint of beer in their system is still better than someone texting whilst negotiating traffic.

sz

Cobra Zero beer is the best non-alcoholic lager out there! Tastes like beer - but no alcohol

PT

Many thanks, Shelf Filler : if I can find an excuse to go via Upper Norwood, I will indeed try your branch. When I asked in my local Sainsbury's (Tunbridge Wells), I was told it was discontinued, and when I tried to order it online I found it was no longer listed on Sainsbury's web site.
1st Oct 09 01:10

shelf Filler

PT, at the sainsburys I work in (upper norwood branch, South London) we still stock The Low alcohol german beer you mentioned, 4-330ml bottles.
The different branches do vary in what they do and do not stock. Try a couple of other sainsburys branches, They may carry the line.

PT

I've been virtually TT for the same reason as many correspondents here (chronic liver damage), and having tried the entire "Beers of Europe" low-alcohol range of beers (nearly thirty at one time) homed in on just two : at first, Clausthaler Extra Herb, but finally Main Thaler (both at 0,5% a.b.v). Some time ago (maybe over a year) Main Thaler started shewing consistently "Out of stock", and I wrote to the Main Thaler brewery in Germany (in German) to ask whether anyone other than Beers of Europe imported it into the U.K. There was no reply. Then, purely by chance, I discovered Sainsbury's own-brand low-alcohol German lager, and to my palate this was as good as Main Thaler. Sadly Sainsbury's have now discontinued this beer (I have yet to write to ask them why) and for now I have been forced to revert to Clausthaler Extra Herb, but I intend to do a tasting of the Alcohol Free Shop range to see if there are any that I prefer. And having recently returned from a few Continental driving tours, I can confirm that the range of low-alcohol beers in Continental Europe is /far/ /far/ better than the range available in the U.K.

PeTeR

I went for a 1 month alcohol abstinence. It is very hard when all your friends drink some booze but I am nearly there. Another 7 days to go.
During that time I switched to non-alcoholic beers and one cider...
-Koppaberg, Swedish cider 0.0% - very good!
-Erdinger, German alcohol free beer - Good!
-Becks Blue, bit bitter, but if cold, tastes nice.
-Bavaria, Regular Malt - Quite OK.
-Kaliber - tastes like a lemonade; don't buy it.
-Bavaria, Apple Malt - like poor quality cider or lemonade; not recommended
-Bernard, Dark, bitter non-alocholic beer from Czech Republic, 50/50
These drinks are available mostly in Tesco.
However, when I went out last weekend to a well known disco-pub on Piccaddily Circus in London I spent my night out with orange juices and one Mojito like lemonade (quite nice and alcohol free!)
23rd Sep 09 04:09

Groober

Whetherspoons tend to be quite good for alcohol free stuff. They've usually got at least one type of alcohol free beer and one alcohol free cider behind the bar. Kopparberg is amazing.

Having a right headache finding alcohol free San Miguel anywhere in the UK right now, though. Very sad. It's so nice.

kenny

You should try being tee total and live in Scotland !! I gave up the booze over 7 years ago and on the rare occasions I go to a pub it's 2 cokes a mineral water then home, £6 lighter.

When I tell people I don't drink alcohol they I either think I'm a religious nut or a recovering alcoholic.
3rd Sep 09 04:09

pathos king

allhardly any pubs where I live in stockport stock alcohol free or low beers-they deserve to go out of business if they cant cater for

pathos king

Bars keep complaining that the customers are not coming through the door and therefore being forced to close -If they stocked free and low alcohol beers maybe they could attract the drivers who want to go for and evening drive and have a nice beer or wine while they are out.
personally if I was driving I would walk out of pubs that dont stock it and wait until I got home and go to a pub that I know stock it.--also then emergency services and hospitals dont get overun by drinkers

grumpyoldwoman

So Terry, how are people going to get to the pub? If it's not within walking distance, public transport is almost non-existant and taxis too expensive; someone has to drive. If they don't like coke or other soft drinks what the heck ARE they supposed to drink?
31st Jul 09 08:07

Terry

Beer in pubs should be alcoholic. Allowing alcohol-free beer in pubs destroys the image of a pub. If you don't want alcohol in a pub, drink a pint of coke rather than fake beer.

Neil Gibson

I have recently turned to non-alcohol lager after getting an ultimatum from my doctor due to damage I have already inflicted on my liver. I went to a night out with friends and after 3 colas and a fresh orange and lemonade I was scunnered and headed home. I moaned to my wife that where as I could sit in a pub all night and drink alcohol free beer I couldnt do the same with soft drinks.

I have tried Cobra, Becks, Carlsberg 0.5% and Carling C2, which is still 2%. The best for me by a mile is the Cobra. Our local Asda stock it but I have not as yet been to a night out in the local town to ascertain what pus stock what.

Recently returned from a holiday in Spain and San Miguel alcohol free and Estrella Dam alcohol free is excellent and was widely avaiable in pubs in the Salou area.

It is time Public Houses and Clubs in the U.K offered an alternative to Soft Drinks for persons not wishing to consume alcohol at a reasonable price.

FromTheUK

I think the prices some places charge for alcohol free beer is a disgrace. The other day I asked for an alcohol free beer but then changed my mind and asked for a normal beer. The 330ml alcohol free alternative was £4, about a third more than a pint of normal beer costs!

jben

I quite agree! I've just discovered and like alc-free lager, but they don't always have Becks in my local Wetherspoons and it's never chilled. I particularly like Cobra 0.0% and have emailed Wetherspoons about their lack of a responsible attitude towards us drivers.

taxman

I don't know about the Kaliber but Becks Low Alcohol Beer tastes awful, the best I have come accross is Cobra Low Alcohol, unfortunately I have never found a pub that sells it.
31st Mar 09 06:03

Brit

3 Glasses of lemonade in a Buleigh Salterton Pub cost me 6 quid. No wonder so many Pubs are closing. Drink alcohol or be ripped off on the price of soft drinks.

Dee

For Little John

Waitrose sell something called Fre (I think that's what it's called) which is a <0.5% de-alcholised Merlot and it's lovely. Sorry if you're looking for 0.0% but if you can drink a trace then it's worth trying.

Alcohol free now

You ARE kidding me aren't you? You need an alcohol licence to sell alcohol free beer such as Kaliber and Becks alcohol free? Can anyone confirm this?

Wilmo

The Alcohol-Free drinks question. Many years ago, I worked in the convenience store trade. An idea was suggested by Head Office that if a store did not have a drinks licence, they could stock alcohol-free/low alcohol drinks. Not long after, the Powers That Be decreed that a licence was needed to be able to sell this stuff after all. Funny that the likes of Kaliber and Becks Alcohol free both have less alcohol content than a can of shandy, yet you need an alcohol licence to sell the stuff.

Little John

Having recently had a wake up call for the damage to my liver I have given up alcohol completely.
I have found that Becks is very good,but also excellent is Cobra, which comes in a larger .330 bottle,What I am looking for is a good red wine,I used to like Merlot/Shiraz type wines.Anybody able to recommend a suitable non alcoholic wine ?

John

For D S Queen - we've just started stocking San Miguel 0.0% at The Alcohol-Free Shop (www.alcoholfree.co.uk). Thanks.

Suzie

How right you are! My boyfriend gave up drinking this year after recovering from an extremely serious head injury that almost killed him. He is a quintissential Geordie bloke and loves spending a laidback evening chatting away in the pub. However since he gave up drinking alcohol he has found himself completely uncatered for in most if not all of our local boozers. As he has spent years drinking beer his pallet just isn't tuned to half a sweet and sickly orange juice. So as a result he is either not enjoying or missing out on all the social outings he used to love all for the sake of pub owners stocking a few crates of a tasty alcohol free beer for customers who don't want to get legless every other night of the week!
And to Sam - no we should not lower the drinking age. Teens drink because so many of them look 18+ can and fool shop owners (much like myself in my teen years and there is a hell of a lot of stuff I did and now regret during that time I would not have done had I not been drunk). The drinking age should be increased to 21. As a result of the drinking age of 21 it is much harder for American teens to get their hands on booze.

D S Queen

I love the San Miguel alcohol free lager. Does anyone know where I can get it? Asda have stopped selling it.

Colin THORNE

Do you have any info on sugar content of Alcahol "free" beers. I am diabetic so the value of drinking "free" beers could be counteracted by sugar intake which will also not help with weight loss aspirations.
22nd Aug 08 06:08

Gums

Eat wine gums. They taste good. Gums, gums! I like the gums.
21st Aug 08 02:08

Binky

In Spain the San Miguel range of non-alcoholic beers is excellent. Even friends who still drink alcohol like them. Buckler is pretty good too. Alcohol free beer is very popular here -- all the bars and shops sell it.

Mum2be

I absolutely agree! My local pub now sells Becks alcohol free which is brilliant because I'm 20 weeks pregnant and it's hot and sunny- beer weather! Coke is full of sugar and caffeine anyway which is no good for me or the baby. My fridge at home is full of alcohol free Becks too. Cheers!

jay

goood piont we should lower the drinking age
and it will save all the trould of having a go at them

xx

sam

we should lower the drinkin age
because teens drink acohlo even if it is alegal to
and at least we will know they wont get in trould 4 it

Topbear

If you enjoy wheat beer - which is light and refreshing - try Erdinger alchohol free. It is the best alcohol frre beer we have tried and is now available in Tesco. (Normally we bring back some crates from Germany.)
Its getting my CAMRA member husband through his Lent promise to not eat chocolate or drink alcohol to boost his diet.

bigsigh

After giving up alchohol completley I had to find something to fill my severe cravings, Kaliber is pretty bland but the best stuff I have found is bavaria, found in my local morrisons really cheap
also www.alcoholfree.co.uk do a fantastic selction of beer and wines that more than does the job.
As for the point of non alc drinks this is a godsend for people like me who are trying not to be dependant....

badger6

I'm giving up alcohol for jan which is quite a big thing for me as I usually go out drinking 3-5 times a week and the last time I think I went more than a week without a drink was over 6 years ago. I recently tried the becks alcohol free beer and actually thought it was pretty good considering. It tastes like watered down normal becks and without the fuller taste. Maybe whan feb arrives ill turn my back on it in a second, but for now, for those of you looking to give up the beers for a month, give the becks one a try and I think it will fill 90% of your craving...

huddlelivvy

can you smell alcohol free beer on someones breath like regular beer? My boyfriend just drove back from the pub sticking of beer and said that he had 4 bottles of Becks alcohol free beer. Im not impressed.

alcohol lover

Who can tell me the sugar content of Maltose and why it's used in some (perhaps cheaper) beers and not others.... does it depend on the use of hops or barley? If I'm trying to avoid sugars for health reasons, should I be avoiding Maltose?

Thanks for your help.

alcohol lover.

Wise Up

Alcohol free beer is a nonsense. Drink ginger beer instead,
23rd Sep 07 08:09

steve b

some of us dont have a choice when it comes to not drinking alcohol so a alcohol free beer is great as we still like the taste of beer but need to avoid the alcohol. no pretending charlotte.
23rd Sep 07 04:09

brookes

well, I love the taste of beer and wine, but want to stay sober..east really
1st Sep 07 11:09

Charlotte

I just don't get the point of alcohol free beer - sorry.

I've got absolutely no problem with people not drinking alcohol but if you don't drink alcohol why pretent you're drinking alcohol? it just doesn't make sense to me, why would you do that?
31st Aug 07 10:08

gr

Would love to hear how Andy's bar is coming along. I think it's a brilliant idea!! The wave of the future.

wpaulgp

Cobra alcohol free is a really decent extra smooth lager from Tesco (well chilled) 4 bottles per pack. I think you have to look where the Kaliber is and you should find some more to try.They are not bad at all these days, I hadn't tried them for years since Kaliber first came out and they were pretty dire in those days.

Fozzza

Hi David,

A very nice alcohol free beer, I think it's German, is Bittberger Drive. It has a lovely flavour and smells like the real stuff. You can get it from certain Tesco stores. Tescos sell it online.
1st Aug 07 11:08

Annoyed

Does anyone know where to find out the sugar content of a 275 ml of Becks alcohol free lager? It's not on the bottle or packaging and their website seems to be all about games and promotions - there's nothing I can find about nutrition information. Surely with diabetes on the increase this should be on the packaging!

David

As the nominated driver what do you do -drink coke or fizzy drinks and bloat yourself all night.
I used to be able to get alcohol free lager but it has disappeared these days.
There used to be a very good German one but can not remember the name, no shops near me sell it.

Chalkie

Should not the Government as part of its programs to reduce obesity and drunk driving make it a condition of all Alcohol Licensed premises that the must carry a range of alternative low alcohol wines beers and lagers and/or no alcohol versions.

No one could then have any excuse not to use them if, say, driving,and it would be assitance to those for whom alcohol is a health hazard -e. g. Diabetics
31st May 07 09:05

Richard.

When you complain about alcohol-free beer costing as much as the full-strength brands someone is bound to justify this by saying that the brewers have to instal equipment to take the alcohol out of the base stock.
Fine, but don't forget that then the brewers have the alcohol to sell! There must be a lucrative market for this.

Mosley

Does anyone know of any pubs that sell alcohol free bitter? Is there such a thing as alcohol free beer and in particular alcohol free bitter on draught? I really think its bad that pubs charge so much for soft drinks by the way. What's the chance of promoting sensible drinking eh?

Donna

I object to Francis Farmers comment that we have to drink either alcoholic beer or none at all. What happened to freedom of choice? Many people simply cannot drink alcohol for health reasons and actually like the taste of beer. Doesn't he know how many diabetics there are in the world? Aren't they entitled to enjoy a drink other than diet coke, or sprite light or equivalents? It's really time for the pub chains to wake up to the 21st century and provide adequate choice for all customers. Those who can drink alcoholic beer won't be affected, after all, will they?

kendelle

well if you want 2 drink you should cause its your choice

neil

All I neede to know was the sugar content in a standard botle of Becks non-alcoholic lager for a diabetic friend

Glenn Taylor

If you want flavour, try the German low alcohol beers, there are over 20 now available from all the major breweries - because the Germans take low alcohol very seriously, and demand flavour.

I am now getting Clausthaller Classic (which has much more flavour than Bitburger Drive according to my palate) delivered to the house from www.alcoholfree.co.uk, but it is still a horrendous price when compared with walking into a "Getränk Markt" (a generic term for a drink supermarket) anywhere in Germany. I was skiing in Austria last week and was introduced to a wheat beer or Weiss Bier from Erdinger, that was almost as good as the "full fat" version. I knocked back 8 x 500ml bottles at a fabulous and wild apres-ski party at Hintertux, and drove back to the hotel - it just does not get better than that, does it?

As there is no Alcohol Duty on >0.5% drinks you would think that the price should be cheaper, but may I suggest that the price is that high because we Brits are stupid enough to pay it. The American consumer public do not put up with being "rolled" by retailers. For example an ordinary household DVD player at WalMart is $24.99 - £12.50, we pay over twice that here in the UK.

I do not know how to start to pressure drinks resellers to sell at reasonable prices, short of refusing to buy their product. Anyone got any ideas?

Kristoff

I have just given up alcohol for comic releif for 20 days, and whenever I go out, I am stuck on overpriced coca cola as no where stocks alcohol free lager, and those that do, never have it in

Psycho dan

The becks green is a great low alcohol drink and its only £3.99 for 6 330ml bottles in tesco.

Tanya

Morrisons sells Bavaria now. Seems very similar to Kalliber just a bit more bitter. C2 has 2% of alcohol. I found it much better then I expected. Though none of this beers taste as good as San Migual, Grolsch, Stella,Becks. Has anyone found something nonalcoholic that tastes as good as the mentioned above?

stephen in wales

Hi! I have just had to give up alcohol (DRs ORDERS) and I have no problem going to the pub
and not drinking alcohol but there is only so much soft drinks( coke, squosh, pop) you
can take and IF there is an alcohol-free larger on offer its always highly priced.

Lets hope brewerys buck up there ideas ?????

sobberly yours
stephen in wales

Ivrognard

No free alcohol in pubs as far I know. Big pity as I know a lot pople who would go if there were.
21st Feb 07 06:02

Frogmella

Cobra alcohol-free beer is DELICIOUS! I found it at my local Tesco, tried a few bottles and now am hooked. Shame, since it's no cheaper than normal beer - which it should be. There's also one at Aldi which isn't bad, and costs an amazing 99p for 4 cans!
21st Feb 07 01:02

Glenn Taylor

Francis, I love the taste of beer and always have done. Last year I decided to clean up my diet; I started eating all fresh foods, no processed foods no processed sugar, and I cut out a lot of cooked foods opting instead for fresh and raw (fruit and veg. that is). I now feel 100 times better, and as a side benefit the weight just fell off even though I thought that I did not have a weight problem.

On the basis of this I next turned my attention to any other technicaly classified "poison" that I was imbibing; and I was putting away a fair amount of alcohol in a week - more than I am prepared to admit to myself. This was going to be difficult, or so I thought, but then I decided that I also wanted and needed to drive home safely and legally every single time I went to the pub - I live way out in the country, I wanted to wake up early the next morning with a completely clear head, and I did not want to go back the next day and apologise for something stupid that I had done or said. I did not want that strange "rush" and the fuzziness and losing my sense of direction, balance and decency. I used to get uncharacteristically aggressive on alcohol.

I decided I wanted freedom from any dangerous substance, regardless of its macho image or social standing. When I discovered Clausthaler Premium, I was surprised - substantial taste and mental satisfaction without the negative chemical side effects.

Francis, you have every right to drink alcohol, and if your drinking does not infringe anyone else's rights, then as an ex-soldier I will defend your right to drink alcohol with my last breath. I am completely behind you. Go ahead, drink and be completely happy with it.

But please mate, do not criticise or ridicule anyone else's decision for not drinking alcohol, or thinking like you do, you do not have that right.

S

vianaut,

The "Drive" beer you are after is called Bitburger Alkoholfree.
You can sometimes get it in Tesco. Otherwise try the Beers of Europe website.

francis farmer

why the hell would you want no alcoholic beer is it to look cool and make everyone think your drinking
either drink beer or drink pop dont go in between

R

There's a new one at the moment called C2. I think it's by Carling. Anyone tried it? I've heard its good...

J.

I'm from Ireland and used to work in an off-licence, the non-alcohol beers we sold were Becks and Erdinger.. I've recently been having heart problems (at 28 - note to other beer drinkers!!) and had to give up beer (heineken/carlsberg/smithwicks), and I have to say that Becks n/a is a really nice alternative, as well as Erdinger. I haven't found many other brands of n/a beer here, apart from Holsten which I found fairly bad but just about drinkable (maybe not). It's the same problem here where a night out can nearly cost you more drinking soft drinks and n/a beer, but I can't see bar owners stopping this practice of charging so much, they have no incentive to.
23rd Jan 07 12:01

Jon

Quite agree. I get get quite pissed off when people question me for not drinking, or when I have just half a pint. It's my choice... what's it to you?

Legal

It is legal to sell anything with an alcohol content of less than 0.5% to minors, although not many places do (which is technically a human rights infringement), as it is not classed as alcoholic. The licencing act 2003 excludes all beverages posessing <0.5%.

However, shandy is not covered by this law when served in an on-licence, as there are obviously various proportions that can be mixed, it is possible to have a 0.1% alcohol content or a 4% alcohol content shandy.

Shandy can be sold to minors if it is in sealed bottle when sold, and posesses an alcohol content of no more than 0.5%.

vianaut

As like other contributors having experienced heart problems, thought it was time to consider others and cut back on the much loved beer. Agree with the praise on Clausthaler but this is 0.5%. Try the Becks alcohol free which is as low as 0.05% and is seriously as good. I did find anoth German sounding beer which was marketed as "driver" this was really good, anyone no the brand?

andy

hey, i'm a tee toaler from little old lincolnshire, england. I have found Kaliber and Becks AF, but no others in my local area. (our only supermarkets are Somerfields and CO-Op)

I've pratically given up looking, as there is nothing else in my local area.

Anyone thought of starting an Alcohol Free Bar?

I just have, and would like to know what poeple thought about the idea.

Jay T

This is the most relevant thread I've found regarding the quest for good-tasting non-alcoholic beer. It sounds as though the UK is making progress. Any advice for those of us in the USA? Is anyone selling any of the top beers mentioned below in the States?
3rd Dec 06 08:12

Jim

I've been a loyal beer drinker for 40 years. Heart problems have forced me to totally stop my beer consumption and I feel like I've lost my best friend. I live in Houston, Texas. I've tried every non alcohol beer I can find. They are all terrible. Any suggestions? I'm willing to travel untold distances to eventually acquire a real beer/ale tasting brew. Help.

Chris

What is also needed is for soft drinks to cost less in pubs than alcoholic drinks. I can have two pints of beer for less than two pints of lemonade and lime juice in some places.

Beatrice

I have just come back from a few days in France, where low alcohol beer is available in every supermarket, even small village ones. The bigger stores had about 5 or 6 different varities from which to choose. Buckler & Kronenbourg 'Sans Alcohol' were all easily available, and at Auchan we found Celta blonde and dark, and a shandy-tasting Panache. I know that abroad these beers can be 'no alohol' as long as they are below 1%, but it shows commitment. I would love to know what the alcohol content IS...can't find that info anywhere. As for the ones on sale here...Sainsbury's really is good, and cheap too, but they don't stock it in my local Sainsbury's!! I shall keep on trying. Let's encourage alcohol-free fun!!

Alex

The Licensing Act 2003 defines alcohol as any "spirits, wine, beer, cider or any other fermented, distilled or spirituous liquor" but excludes "alcohol which is of a strength not exceeding 0.5% at the time of the sale or supply in question"

Michael

Sainsbury's low-alcohol is the best of the bunch, far and away; Clausthaler a distant second; all the rest horrible

Phil

Dear All,

Many thanks for your comments here. I have had to give up alcohol for good for medical reasons and because a close member of my family goes beserk when he has had a drink. Alcohol fuelled violence is terrifying and I was beginning to despair of ever finding any alcohol free beer or wine in the UK other than kaliber. Not only have your links provided me to other information, but your comments have been very reassuring.

With grateful thanks,

Phil

JohnR

For Barra - we now have Holsten alcohol-free in stock at The Alcohol-Free Shop - www.alcoholfree.co.uk . Regards John

Edwardo of the ale factory.

Hallo Dave!

The cobra beer you are on about probably contains a small trace of alcohol and as such would not be available to under 18's.

I work in a pub and people do not understand when I refuse to serve their sons/daughters a pint of shandy. If it contains alcohol then it's illegal to sell it to under 18's no matter if it's 0.1% or 95%!

DJ

I agree with everyone on here, but one thing I must add is things are slowly getting better ! A few years ago asking for a Non alchoholic beer in a pub would only be rewarded with a smirk or even a laugh.. Nowadays this just aint the case, they either do stock some low alchohol alternatives(A nereby pub of mine do about 5 different ones !) or they at least act interested that you are asking.

A pub near me in Saltaire actually started selling Erdinger after I went in and asked for it, the owner was really intrigued so has started stocking it ! It cant be long until we get a decent on tap pint !

jj

After 4 cans of this it still makes me feel nausious and bloated..not pregnant of durham

Numanoid

As a long time fan of German wheat beers (as well as English ales) I was gob-smacked to find my local (The Cricketers in Keighley) selling Erdinger alcohol-free (0.4%) beer for just £1.60/0.5l bottle. It's a great tasting beer and the fact that this pub sells it (along with regular guest beers) means its my first choice of pub when going out - something for everyone and it's not a rip-off. Why can't more places be like this?

Barra

The top 3 alcohol free / low alcohol beers according to the IBC (international beer challenge) are:-
1. Holsten alcohol free
2. Sainsburys low alcohol german lager
3. Bavaria alcohol free.
I have been unable to find the holsten anywhere but the other 2 are both excellent. It is just a shame that most pubs do not stock any of them.
22nd Aug 06 01:08

Dave

Saw Cobra alc-free 0.0% in ADSA today. But I would bet that they wouldnt sell it to under 18's. Should they ?
21st Aug 06 04:08

Gavin

Hello. I have a website lisitng many alcohol free beers available to buy. There are approximately 20 alcohol free beers on line at present. The range comes from the larger more famous German breweries to smaller family run affairs. I also intend to expand the range to include a dozen or so Belgium beers and 6 to 10 French beers. Also my delivery costs are very very competative.

www.onlyfinebeer.co.uk and type in "alcohol free" in the search bar.

linda

I have also stopped drinking , and I tried kaliber....yuk! I went to my supermarket (morrisons) I:e safeway and seen cobra, it's the best tasting beer with 0.0% alcohol and very enjoyable! Would'nt recommend anything else now, try it and see!

johncr

Morrisons now sell Bavaria 0.0 and is buy 1 get 1 free at the mo (as of 15.6.06). Im an alcohol drinker but this is SUPERB!!!

Martin

I occasionally pop out at short notice in the car to watch a football match in a pub. I can find the pub showing the football match but the alcohol free beer isn't served or they have only 2 bottles left!
If we had an alcohol free beer on tap it would be better still as I want the quantity served in a pint as I have got used to drinking that way over the years.

njones@britishintelligence.co.

Jade has made a good point on the 5th of Jan (her very last comment... none of the others...) Alcohol is cheaper in pubs than soft drinks. If it's cheaper for younger people to drink alcohol when they socialise than to stick to soft drinks, is anyone surprised that the Nation has a drinking problem?!? There used to be a bar couple of bars in Bristol that gave the "nominated driver" a "bottomless soft drink", this meant that who ever drove didn't end up paying more than their mates to have a night out. Maybe more establishments should start schemes like this.
3rd Jun 06 06:06

JohnR

Good gripe! Things are slowly getting better though I think. At the risk of sounding like Victor Kiam, after I stopped drinking and saw the state of the market, I decided to start my own shop. It's been a while coming but yesterday we finally launched The Alcohol-Free Shop ( www.alcoholfree.co.uk ) selling a wide range of alcohol-free products, not just drink. I'd love any comments. Thanks John

Richard

I love beer but due to a medical problem I can't consume any alcohol. After going 24 years without a beer, I found Estella Damm beer in Barcelona. I savored those six cans that I brought back to the States. It was the best experience I ever had, tasting that delicious cold beer after all that time. Now my dillema is that I can't find it here. I'm so tired watching badketball games with my friends drinking diet coke.

Stuart

Cobra claim their alcohol free beer really is 0.0%.

I can get it in ASDA for about £2 for 4 bottles.

Tastes a bit sweet but still quite nice.

Kim

Since I have liver cirrhosis, I'm not allowed to even drink 0.01% alcohol beer. Is there any beer that is totally alcohol-free? If so, how can I get some?

GHOB

Try BeersofEurope.co.uk They have a range of 30 or so Low/non alcoholic beers, some of which are quite good and some not so. Most are better than Kaliber! I suggest you do what I did, order a case and select various different beers to try - Happy drinking!

Daisy

I don't drink alcohol and have found a really yummy alcohol free wine called perception. It's hard to buy but it knocks spots off anything that the supermarkets sell. I just wish the pubs would stock it!

Jonathan

In Spain and Gibraltar low-alcohol and alcohol-free beers are widely available. In Spain, I could obtain a cheap and cheerful alcohol-free version of a German brew called Karlsquell, sold for a mere 21 cents (15p) for a 330ml can! Does anyone know if Aldi in the UK offer anything similar?

CJ

I find Kaliber is almost undrinkable, and Becks alchohol-free version isn't much better. There is a good German one called Klausthaler that Budgens sold, and Sainsburys used to sell an own-label version that looked and tasted exactly like it; but both seem to have disappeared from the shelves. We found in French supermarkets that there was an alcohol-free version of almost every beer they stocked, and they all tasted pretty much like the alcoholic version. So why don't British supermarkets stock them too, and why doesn't the Government encourage them to do so? How do we attract their attention, and the commercial interest of the supermarkets?

Stubby

Matt, you've hit the nail on the head there. I wouldn't mind sometimes going out to see a band or something and being the designated driver, but you get fed up with cokes and everyone is there swilling beer. It's very unfair. Why can't we have some non alcoholic beer in pubs at a reasonably discounted price for people who can't or who choose not to drink, but who wish to be part of the social gathering.

I'm not sure how or if we can move this forward really - anyone got any ideas?

Matt

I've been tea total for 18 months now after being told by doctors to stop drinking due to collapsing episodes. I thought alcohol free beers were very popular in bars until my first night on the town. No where sold it. Ok the supermarkets sell it but if your out with friends going round bars you fancy a beer to join in. I'm sure I'm not the only one who can't drink anymore. Bars don't take this into consideration. They just want people who'll drink themselves silly!
23rd Feb 06 07:02

micky the fish

ive tried becks,fustenberg ,erdinger and cobra and they all have different but good quality taste and all are 0.5% alcohol or below

jim o

cobra the indian brewer sells non alcoholic beer it tastes great and has o.o % alc content

Beerfest

I used to drink a great alcohol-free beer when I was living in Bavaria called Klausthaler. Tasted just like it contained alcohol. Wish they had it in the UK.

Mac

I've recently had to (or at least am trying to) give up drinking for health reasons and agree that the choice on offer in the pubs is terrible. The majority of pubs don't offer alcohol free lagers, and a pint of coke costs way more than a pint of beer.

It would seem to me that the most important thing would be to get pubs to reduce the cost of soft drinks so that people will choose them over alcoholic drinks. Secondly increasing the range of alcohol free lagers - some of which actually taste OK if chilled to a really low temperature - would help by offering people a real alternative.

For nights in there are some decent alcohol free lagers available in England from the website www.beersofeurope.co.uk

pete

If your local sells a/f beer, tell them that that is why you are there. Get the message across. Part of the psychology of beer is having the "feel" of a pint in your hand, the non sweet taste, and the congenial atmosphere (which your alcohol drinking friends will provide aplenty). In the morning, you will be healthily hydrated and ready to sieze the day. And no, I don't work for a producer of alcohol free beer!
22nd Jan 06 10:01

Gill

Last May I was given 2 months to live as my liver was badly damged through alcohol. I am married with 3 children and have always been dependent on alcohol. This news made me realise that I had to stop drinking or die. Since then I have been 'dry' for 8 months and I have been able to cope by drinking alcohol free lager. Kaliber or a German brewed lager called Warsteiner are the only lagers I can find in the shops. Some bars and restaurants sell them, but very few. I would like to see more places selling alcohol free beers for people who cannot, or want not, to drink.

elite_pete

0.05% beer that that tastes ok!!

Becks(and holsten) do an alcohol free lager which tastes pretty much like their normal brand and a lot better than that awful kaliber stuff.

Jade

I think that alcoholic drink is good. I like to get hammered. what is the point of non alcoholic drinks they don't do anything for you.Its cheaper than soft drinks aswell.

Drago

It doesn't bother me the fact that pubs dont serve alcohol free beer. I would just like to see a hell of a lot more other alcohol free alternatives. Where are the fanta/cola/schweppes bottles in clubs these days. And out of a pint of beer (£1) and pint of cola (£3), which do you think I will choose? :s

We really need to encourage the reduction of prices of soft drinks in pubs and clubs.

Drago

mike

I have given up drinking alcohol, because I think all alcohol tastes unpleasent. In England the non alcohol beverages choice are poor, why don't some places sell fruit juice cocktails made from fresh fruit with a juice extractor. The reason is is because they do not care. There are so many better things to do in life than drink alcohol anyway! How many of you have been given old flat lager from the bottom of the barrel by the bar tender, do you think they really care

Jake

my husband's Dr. said he can have non alcohlic beer if its .01%, but I can't find any. Most are .04-.05%
21st Nov 05 04:11

Helen

Hi, I have been reading your comments and opinions regarding alcohol free beers and lagers, and I am currently doing a university project to market alcohol free beer. The thing is, I myself am tee-total and would have no idea about why people drink alcohol - Is it the taste? Or is it the effects? Ideally, if a company could produce an alcohol free substitute that actually tasted half decent would people drink it? Or are we looking at a society of binge drinkers who only drink to get hammered, regardless of what it tastes like. Any of your opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
1st Nov 05 11:11

Ade

Dave, we need to get some kind of petition going I think. The choice for alcohol free beer in this country is very poor and I think the supermarkets have a responsibility to help

Dave - Alresford

I used to drink real ales but had to give up so now drink alcohol free beers. I have to disagree with anyone who thinks the Becks version is drinkable. I think it's awful. The new Kaliber is fine if you get rid of some of the gas. The new Holstein alcohol free is good if it's very cold and poured quickly, but is very hard to find. My favourite is Buckler but I have only found this in France and Majorca. Generally the supermarkets there have a section of the beer aisle dedicated to alcohol free beers (did you know Kronenberg do one?) whereas in the UK we have to put up with just one or two varieties.

Dave. Sussex England

Becks alcohol-free beer isn't bad, just started drinking it myself. I agree pub's should stock alcohol-free but sadly many don't. I would like to see alcohol-free real ales as that was my tipple.
23rd Oct 05 08:10

Another Friend of Bill - Ameri

Agreed. I am traveling to London at the end of the year and, as a recovering alcoholic, I hope many pubs have non-alcoholic alternatives. Many establishments in America do. Thanks.

Ex-alcoholic

Have you tried alcohol free Becks lager, you'll be suprised.

Bearded Bob

So far I've found Kwiksave cheapest consistently for Kaliber, but it is a bit sweet for my taste. I have found some excellent alternatives in pubs, all with unpronouncable germanic names but, as has been previously stated, they are often prohibitively expensive. I am not a killjoy but after years of drinking my share ( and no doubt the share of the guy next to me ) I suffered Pancreatitis. This was an extremely painful and potentially fatal experience which I do not intend to repeat by continuing to imbibe alcohol. I really do enjoy drinking a few tinnies at home smug in the knowledge that if my teenage daughter has missed the last bus I will no longer have to choose between leaving her stranded or risking my licence. Please pass on any useful information about sources of cheap supply, my local Co-op doesn't even stock it.

GW

Last night Tesco refused to sell someone alcohol-free beer after 11pm.

Izzy

Ban alcohol? Seems a bit of a fascist attitude to take. Who has to right to tell me what and what not to drink?

Saying that, the guy who comments on alcoholics is clearly an ignoramous. People do not get addicted to alcohol for the fun of it. Quite often it is related to depression and them wanting to block out bad things in their lives. Numbing the pain so to speak. You're obviously lucky enough to not have to resort to that, don't judge people you know nothing about.

Friend of Bill

Leroy, go online and read the World Health Organisation's definition of Alcoholism and attend an open meeting of Alcoholics Anonymous. You may then change your current view. Ignorance has killed a lot of people, with regard to drinking attitudes. Your sentiments are viscious and callous

jah

Um how can you have alcohol free beer in a bar..I know that the stuff exisits so yah...but thats kinda stupid don't drink at the bar if you don't want alcohol...

Brad Hooton - Arturia - Bolton

Alcohol should be banned, you don't have to have alcohol just to have fun, or get drunk so you forhet about things for a short while. Alcoholics for example, it's like a disease, alcohol must be banned and there should be other ways of socialising.

Brad Hooton - Arturia - Bolton

All pubs, bars, off-licences and supermarkets should all offer cheap priced alcohol, It's common sense.
3rd Jun 05 07:06