Rubbish on the streets, there's no excuse

There is no excuse for the rubbish on our streets these days and you see it all the time. From cigarette butt litter and food litter, to chewing gum and sweet wrappers.  It’s just disgusting.  What ever happened to keep Britain tidy?

Who do they think will clean up their rubbish?

When I was a kid, I was brought up to be responsible and dispose of rubbish properly and put it in a trash can or take it home.  But these days, parents it would seem just don’t teach their children anything about clearing up after themselves.  It has become the norm to just chuck your rubbish down anywhere you like.  We live in a throw away society all right, quite literally.

So many times, I have walked down the street and seen some young lad or lass just drop their sweet wrapper wherever they please.  It makes me so angry, and who do they think will clean up their rubbish after them?  Is it the rubbish fairy?  Is it mum or dad?  No, it’s you and me, because our taxes pay for the streets to be cleaned, and cleaning the street would be a whole lot easier if rubbish was placed in the bin at home or in a public litter bin.

Just put litter in the rubbish bin! Sweetie papers blowing around our cities are one thing, but the worst type of trash dumped on our streets has got to be food packaging and cigarette butts.  The latter is just disgusting like the habit itself.  In my opinion, these people just need to be towed out to sea and drowned!

Casually discarded food packaging and in some cases the entire meal itself, that’s the real problem.  Every Saturday and Sunday morning you can guarantee you’ll find a load of pizza cartons and stale kebab remnants all over the place left behind from the crowds out socialising the night before.  This kind of rubbish isn’t just untidy, it is also a serious health hazard as well.  Food left on the streets encourages rats, flies cockroaches and all sorts of vermin.

One could argue that part of the reason that there is so much litter on our streets is down to the lack of bins provided.  Yes, to some degree I can go along with that. I know that I find the lack of bins on railway stations a real nuisance.  But there again, I think there is a good reason behind that.  Okay, so there aren’t enough public places to deposit rubbish.  It’s quite straightforward really.  Just take yours home with you!

arnie

young people are the worst culprits of littering and I thought we were trying to save the environment for future generations they just don't get it
1st Oct 14 05:10

Nick

It just shows that communities are going down the drain. Nobody has a decent job and gangs and chavs are roaming the streets. Rubbish? That should be the least of your concerns.

Ethan ;P

This country is going no wear with this people should be getting fined for what they are doing i love animals and nature im only 12 and this a joke to me im not a hippy but this going to far!!!

Sinjin

I may not be able to take a bullet for this country, and in most instances probably wouldn't want to. However, I will risk being stabbed for this country telling people and insisting people pick up their litter when caught red-handed. Like rememberance day, there will be very few people left with the moral fibre and consideration that made this country what it was, a far cry from what it is today, a s@*thole. Something needs to be done, soon. Keep Britain Tidy, clearly most people are either illiterate or care even less about themselves. A big slap would cure it. Thing is about other countries like Italy, its not just their pride. People are happy to 'recommend' how other people should behave, otherwise you are shamed into submission. New generations disgust me. Why should I have to pick up after them. Time to leave, again!

nickN

In the past, in the park in our town, many people have enjoyed a quiet drink.
Nobody liked the loud mouthed drunks, who spoilt it for everyone else.
No one liked the litter bugs who just left their rubbish.
The ones who enjoyed a quiet drink made sure their litter (empty cans etc) were collected in a carrier bag, and put in one of the bins in the park.

Now, they have also taken away the bins, so there is more litter strewn about.

I don't drink, but I don't see the point of taking away the bins, so that even non drinkers have nowhere to put their litter.

J man

Litter? just another consequence of broken Britain.
Stop paying people to do nothing and start giving them the opportunity to pick up litter.

DSG

What about thermite? It's equally good when disposing of waste the council won't take away because it's "contaminated".

englishman

I prefer the use of napalm when disposing of all manner of waste.

Jimmymac

I live in Plymouth Devon we are told not to put our bin bags out too early because of the chance of vermon and gulls getting into the bags and ripping them up so they supplied us with brown bags to put them in which is very good but when they come to collect them they send a chap to empty them on too the street and are left for up too 2/3 hours before the truck comes too pick them up but in the mean time the gulls the cats get into the bags and open them up and spred there contents onto the street then the big lorry comes and they pick up the bags but leave the other stuff on the ground and dont bother too pick it up, I bet you that the men who work for the Plymouth rubbish collection team dont have the mess outside there house.I might see a little street cleaning van come round about once a month to pick up the mess they should be ashamed of themselves I am sorry to say but I have lost all faith in the Plymouth Cleaning team and I think there is a lot of people who are in the same mind as myself

James

You carried it when it was full, had something in it or needed it in your pocket so even if there are no bins you should keep hold of it until you can dispose of it correctly. Many times I see litter just chucked down with a bin only a few feet away. Dropping litter just shows complete disrespect and lack of pride of where we live and for each other. I cannot wait to leave the UK as I do not have any pride in our country or the majority of people that live in it. The one good thing about global warming is that our small island may soon be under water and hopefully the litter dropping scum will sink with it.

happy

I think you can litter. Why should I bother to walk over to a bin I just throw my litter anywhere like on a bus in the streets out the window in a field anywhere I want I don't care. People get payied to pick it up
23rd Jan 11 08:01

like to like

I don't agree with you of course but I appreciate the sly little pun anon

anon

"as you are keen on correcting other people's English, I thought I should mention that "female" is an adjective not a noun."

That's rubbish!
MikeP has elided the term "female scumbags" to "females". You do this yourself if you are normal.

like to like

We can airlift and parachute you in any time you like Mike.

By the way, as you are keen on correcting other people's English, I thought I should mention that "female" is an adjective not a noun. A few commas would not go amiss either.

If there is any part of my post you would like to correct , please feel free to type as you strap on the parachute.

MikeP

Crawley is probably one of a handful of places that could be improved by the dropping of litter, preferably enough to submerge the fat ugly chavvy permanently pregnant females that inhabit the place.

DSG

I once heard a spokeswally for the council who said "People leaving their rubbish behind or dropping litter anywhere other than in a bin is totally unacceptable". In the unlikely event that he ever reads this (and I doubt if he will - you don't work for a local council if you have a sense of humour) I'd like to ask him ? who says?  Who says it's totally unacceptable? Has there been mass lobbying by crowds of residents at the council offices, thumping their fists and saying "Kill the litter-droppers!"? Has every resident in Crawley been sent a questionnaire that says "Dropping litter is totally unacceptable - do you (a) strongly agree, (b) agree, (c) disagree, (d) strongly disagree, (e) couldn't give a toss"?  Of course not. It's just you, isn't it, taking up this macho posture. It makes you feel like Sylvester Stallone or Vin Diesel, doesn't it, being so firm and granite-jawed? And what a thrill for you narrow-chested little nonentity, the feeling that you're allowed to throw your weight around like this!

alice

rubbish should not be on the ground and should not be in the sea, ocean or any where but the bin.

charles

Yes,the government should clamp down on rubbish droppers-people do not think twice about dropping it-in fact I think nowadays they just drop it without realising it because its the norm.The police never pull anyone up about it because they are usually driving instead of walking and if they do see anything its too much trouble-they are probaby on the way to the chippy/take away for their lunch.

Lesia

sometimes it's seems to me we are a special virus on our planet and it's not because I've seen a lot of films. I live in the center but I can't look out of the window because of the rubbish which is everywhere. we keep doing harm, we just can't imagine our life without doing it, it's our people's nature and to stop it we should change our thinking.

sweet rapper

You can walk up Snowden but you can't pick up rubbish around your flat? You're not one of those benefit bludgers are you?

Whingin Pom

RUBBISH!!! We just returned from a holiday in Wales and I was completely stunned to find signs of human rubbish at the top of Mount Snowden! What is wrong with people these days? They seem to have no pride or respect in our beautiful countryside, and particularly where they live. I live on a council estate (in a block of flats) and have to walk through a veritable rubbish tip to get to my front door. I hate it. I even bought a litter picker and went out to pick it all up myself but I can't do that now as I am disabled. A recent visit to a local beauty spot was spoilt by the grafiti which was scrawled all over the ancient stone ruins.

It's sad, very sad. Come on people, teach your children some pride.

Mr Hicks

Last year I went on Holiday to Italy,i visited bologna,florence,turin and pisa.I could not believe how clean their cities were and very few street-sweepers! on researching the aforementioned I found that italians have a concept called "civitas" which translates as civic pride-being proud and caring for their cities.

Mr Hicks

This is a very Intelligent gripe Letter.If you want to see rubbish on the streets come on over to croydon.our central bus staition is absolutely Littered with discarded chicken bones.In the town centre black spots are to be seen everywhere,on close inspection it is chewing-gum that has been spat out.

Terry

It annoys me sometimes when I see rubbish that's been dropped on the street. I think to myself "There's a bin right there".
22nd May 09 05:05

Owen

Less packaging means less litter. The companies who sell products in excessive packaging are largely to blame for the excessive litter. I refer you to the gripe "Excessive Packaging is Such a Waste".

naijae

no excuse just dont litter anymore so the polution can become better again without people being nasty behind themselfs

jenny

this has helped me write my essay for englsh... thank you

The man

I am not sure that this is entirely appropriate, maybe I will just clean up after myself
22nd Jan 09 10:01

cruise_ir

thanks alot of you.information and examples are very good

Mank

I can remember when all this re-cycle mania began. Got to re-cycle everything! God will punish you if you don't! Now, when I see the bottle, cardboard and clothes re-cycle points, they are mountainous and out of control.

They remain this way for days on end for all the 'green do-gooders' and councils started something and have failed to deliver. They can't cope with it!

The cats and wildlife spread it far and wide for the collections are few and far between. This is true, I've seen it happen with my own eyes and I'm not blind.

Mrs Haddock

This is very true and an infinate problem.
=]
I used this for my school work
Thank you weekley gripe!

MikeP

Sludge Gulper makes some valid points. This is what years of socialist labour rule has done to a once proud country. It has turned young people into uncaring aggressive belligerent slobs whlst older people cower indoors, afraid to remonstrate, and the country is overrun by 'asylum seekers' who have greater rights than the indigenous population.

Companies like MuckDonalds have much to answer for. They should be fined £100 for every muckbox found littering the street. They would soon find ways of controlling this nuisance.
21st Mar 08 09:03

Sludge Gulper

You have asked "What ever happened to keep Britain tidy?" I ask "What ever happened to Britain". People don't care about Britain today because Britain doesn't care about them. This is the most appalling, alienating, class-ridden, obnoxious society in Europe. Snobs all of you. It's a dog-eat-dog land, where the rich get richer all the time able to afford to live in private streets and the rest can go to hell, and live with the riff-raff. Why bother to get an education here? It isn't worth it. The only jobs you can get nowadays are job not worth doing. All the real jobs have drifted abroad, or otherwise gone to persons who can be paid a quarter of what you need to live on. So why bother caring? This society doesn't give a damn about its citizens. This society gave away its birthrights a long time ago.

I have seen beggars practically dying in the street. Detritus on the pavement they were. They were just waiting for the street cleaner to pick them up and take them to the town dump or chuck them in a skip.

Go out on the streets today, and you will find the alienated throwing up in the gutter at all hours of the day and night. Others have their hoods up high waiting round the corner to mug you. Most of the rest are wearing strange alien clothes, symbols of the ghetto to which they belong, shiptars all of them. None of them speak English. This is a dream you think. It most definitely is not. Dirt and grime pervade everywhere. Call it the land which the town planners and T. Dan Smith built.

Go on! Drop that trash right where you are, after all you are only trash yourself.
21st Mar 08 08:03

Reporting For Ricards.

I completely agree. And thankyou so much for the intro, I used it for a powerpoint me and a few other people have to show in assembly about rubbish.

Again, many thanks,

Reporting For Ricards.

Ted B

We have to put food in the same bin as the cardboard. The neighbouring county is completely different and this is not allowed. What's going on?

Someone was dumping food in my black bin (plastic waste) that I was not aware of. I can only gather they did this on the evening of the collection the next morning. The the next thing I know I have a rude, threatening letter from the council.

Here's me being the law abiding citizen, easy target. The Albanians down the road just dump it in the street for the wildlife to rip and spread everywhere. They get away with it for they plead they read nor speak any English.

I'm just going to give up being nice.

serenity

Hah! We recyle here - allegedly. The Council likes to tell everybody how good we are at it. You know - we have a brown bin for garden waste, a blue bin for paper/cardboad and the standard black bin for everything eles. We have re-cycling bins everywhere, for the bottles, cans, all that jazz. We are great! Although of course, we're down to a fortnightly service now.

Last time the blue bins were put out, we had a storm overnight. All of the blue bins were blown over; all of the rubbish was strewn along the street. Including food wrappers etc. Lovely. I was away and my bin wasn't out. However, I went around outside my house and picked up the rubbish along the pavement. I really thought other people would do the same. And not one single person did. The stuff lay all along the pavement for weeks. Not one person picked any of it up. Not even the folk whose houses had tons of it outside. Utterly disgusting. What is with people???? All this nonsense about how we need to be greener, buy energy saving bulbs, turn down the boiler, all of that, and folk won't even pick up their own mess??????

m4ttyp

its ok need more info about why they do it

try and inprove it

from

m4ttyp
31st Jan 08 09:01

Brian in Saffron Walden

Sam in Lincoln hi,

If you'd cared to read my post below that of your post, bins are situated 10 feet apart yet, the green is always covered with gash. They're too lazy to walk from the centre of the green as this is where they tend to congregate, too lazy to walk to a bin.

They're quite happy to leave their rubbish at the spot they've been sitting.

The next thing you know, there will be a ripped sofa, a smashed TV and a bike frame on the green.

Places such as this need to be 'policed' until these dead-beats start to get the message. If it means donating the tax-payers money then tough! Soon enough everybody will get the message.

sam in lincoln

There are a lack of bins provided yes however that is not the only problem it is also down to pure lazyness.People can't be bothered to go and put rubbish in the bin!!!

Brian in Saffrom Walden

I can't figure it out. On the Common where I live there are fixed bins nearly every ten feet apart, all around the green. Why is it that the whole green is covered in litter nearly everyday, moreso in the summertime?

There's this beautiful, well maintained green that ends up a sh^t tip everyday, I despair I really do.

sirleonard

I like the notion that the polluter should pay. I think we should persuade the Government to pass a law so that all food and drinks containers should be charged with £1 deposit (£2 for large pizza boxes) so that the purchasers would be encouraged to return them to the shop.
If they still drop them in the street, there would be lots of volunteers rushing round to collect them up and claim the deposit back.

The food outlets would then have to pay to have the huge mounds of litter removed from their premises.

I have a petition on the Downing Street website to this effect.

Jess, Adelaide

At our school there is filthy chewing gum everwhere. We students wonder why it is never cleaned up.

all saints skool

why would they want to destroy the earth and the planet
21st May 07 10:05

Democrat

bellend, I agree there are plenty of places to put litter, and that there are recycling depots. I refer you to an exert from the initial statement at the head of this gripe, "One could argue that part of the reason that there is so much litter on our streets is down to the lack of bins provided. Yes, to some degree I can go along with that. I know that I find the lack of bins on railway stations a real nuisance. But there again, I think there is a good reason behind that. Okay, so there aren’t enough public places to deposit rubbish. It’s quite straightforward really. Just take it home with you! " I think there could be more, and I think Ash trays at regular intervals should be provided, for those member sof the public who use tobacco products, after all there will soon be many more of them on the streets, due to the new law. Councils could use the revenue collected from other innocent sections of the community to provide us with the means to adhere to their rules, otherwise, we tie ourselves up in knots with too many rules and not enough provision to stick them.

bellend

well litter is really bad because there are plenty off places too put your rubbish and there are recycling places too

Democrat

Joe Soap. Its interesting that we all accept "council property" What is a council? It is made up from elected members of the public. I beleive that "Council Property" is ours. they are public buildings, car parks, and land, they belong to us. Councils are not private land owners. Therefore is it legal for them to fine us, charge us for parking in the first place?? As for the littering, surely if enough recepticles (litter bins, ash trays, etc.) were placed on roadways, I think the majority of people would use them.

the non litter person

why do people litter if they know they are distroying the earth?

Joe Soap

I have had a fixed penalty notice of £75 issued to me by Mansfield Distrct Council for discarding a cigarette end in the street. I went to their offices and at the sides of the entrance there were a number of cigarette ends disposed of probably by their staff coming outside for a quick fag, even though they have metal stub containers attached to the front of the building for cigarette ends. A member of the council told me that anyone caught dropping a cigarette end on council property would be issued with a fixed penalty notice. The council needs to put their own house in order before fining the general public. People that live in glass houses should not throw stones.
2nd Mar 07 10:03

meghna,india

we are doing a project on the prevention of spoiling the public places and the information here is just perfect to use.thnx to weeklygripe
3rd Feb 07 08:02

millan151

I'm 11 years old right now and my parents have brought me up not to litter so I do not litter.if I see somone litter I ask them to please pick up that garbage because somone else is going to have to pick it up if you dont.me and my family never little if we have garbage we save it and put it in a garbage can when we find one.

the garbage man

put it this way no litter no one to pick it up then
NO JOBS
nuff said

LOLA.........LOVE ME IF U CAN

You no what I totaly agree with teti because I just came out of a team that keeps on littrring............every time they do something wrong they say;littering is our life baby

teti

yesterday on my way back I saw five teenagers littrring on my neigbours yard I called one of them back but instead they told me;LITTERING IS OUR LIFE

Hannah

Garbage and littering can amount to such that people can DIE.

Chris

Sad slapper there is every point in not littering. Especially in regard to food waste. Look around any fast food place and you will see mountains of wrappers even bags full of half eaten food. Any wonder the population of rats has gone through the roof? Rats, mice pidgeons etc spread disease disposing of food waste properly would greatly reduce these pests. Also do you like seeing someones half eaten kebab on the floor and then maybe step in it? Broken glass, bottles can injure children, pets and wild animals. Responsibility rest with both the public and the lazy b**tards who run places like kfc who do not provide adequate bins. Might also help if fast food places did not dispose of old fat and crap into our sewers! As for cigarette butts alot of bins have an ashtray use it! Butts can cause fires a large area of landscaping was destroyed near my home and why? because of a lit cigarette being dropped.

Mike

If kids were brought up better than they would THINK before throwing rubbish around the streets and parks. Their parents should be held responsible and do Community work with their kids - picking up rubbish.

A sad slapper

Smokers just can't throw their cigarette buts in the bin they'd go on fire. Why bother keeping cities tidy, it's cities that are destroying our countryside, not litter. You only give a crap because of your taxes anyway.

Keep Britain Tidy

Exactly! This is the attitude of many of the young today. 'Where's the fun in not making a mess?'. They haven't progressed past the nursery school age!!

Maddison

You want me to stop littering? but wheres the fun in that?

Ricky

During the world cup the level of rubbish has increased. Is anyone here in London? I am from channel five news in London, looking for a family in London angry with the rubbish scene for our bulletin tomorrow. (22/06/06) Call me on 0207 800 2715 or EMAIL riccardo.boleto@bskyb.com Thanks

Keep Britain Tidy

Why is it that parents cannot let their kids go anywhere these days without a bottle or packet in their hands?? We were on the beach when 3 kids came along with plastic bottles of something. They emptied the bottles and tossed them into the rock pools. Then they went back to their parents who gave them more bottles!!. At the same time there was an older guy drinking from a water bottle- yes,you know where that went. Has anyone any idea how long it takes for a plastic bottle to rot ??!!

rubb1sh1sbad??

I think we should put more rubbish bin and also increased the fine for throwing rubbish onto the floor

Sally

Milliea.
What a sensible and level headed lady you are. I have read your comments on various different threads and I think you are quite lovely.

Milliea

I have a friend who drops every bit of litter she has from baby wipes to sweet wrappers to takeaway cartons. This is hard for me as I recycle everything and will chase my litter down the road if I accidently drop it. And she thinks am strange. I have had a go at her loads of times but she just isnt bothered, hopefully one day she will get a fine. (But I doubt it)

Bev

It is not only litter thrown in the streets but also graffiti on walls and buildings that needs sorting out. The police should do more to identify these louts. Then the kids and THEIR PARENTS should be made to clean every bit off and then all receive ASBOs. Community Service for graffiti brats should include going around the town cleaning up - that will soon stop the litle sh*ts.
22nd May 06 11:05

Artimus

I believe that chewing gum is just fine, though it is very annoying that it is found almost everywhere, in many cracks and crevasses. It is ridiculous how many people litter, and most say "but it is just a little piece of gum, or a cigarette butt", but it all adds up.

</3 ...Liams Forever... &l

I stood on chewing gum at school today...I was like totally grossed out for the whole day. Gum dropppers are mank.

Bev

You hardly get stiff fines for murder in this Country - so litter bugs are never going to worry about getting fines!
2nd Apr 06 09:04

masked avenger

The solution to litter is fairly simple. "Gumhater" has already pointed to the model - Singapore. Everyone there is left in no doubt as to what happens if they drop so much as a scrap of litter. There are very stiff fines and community service. Also, people there are (justifiably) proud of their spotless streets.

In many cities in America residents and businesses are responsible for keeping land from the very back of the yard to the very edge of the road out front, completely mowed, neat and completely free of litter. It is not unusual to be reported by disgusted neighbours if you dont. Even New York city puts most British town to shane.

Unlike the UK, other countries are proud of their homes and cities and understand that there should be consequences for those who can't follow the rules. Here, we allow people to do as they please, without consequences for bad behaviour or encouragement to do better. Personally, I have become tired of moaning about it and volunteered to help clear up in my area. I also complain to my local council regularly. The more people that decide not to put up with this sort of thing, the sooner things will change. Keep complaining!

gina

rubbish is really bad we have to provide more bins maybe people will put in it their rubbish

Gum Hater

Madseason- WELL SAID I totally and completely agree. I dont know why wardens dont follow smokers around when they're outside and as soon as they drop their disgusting cigarette end issue an on-the-spot £100 fine! Then they'd think twice before the drop their filthy fag ends all over our streets.

Chewing gum is also another filthy habit and I completely despise it, it should be outlawed as it is in a few countries like Singapore. The penalty for smuggling gum into Singapore is one year in jail, and a 10,000 dollar (£5,500) fine. They should introduce that here. I am sick to death of going to my local town and looking at the disgusting chewing gum all over the pavements, you cant walk 2 minches without spotting the filthy gum squashed into the cobbles.

MadSeason

If I had my way, the fine for dropping any form of litter would be at least £100.
It's only a minority that do it, but they spoil our towns and cities for the rest of us. I've seen a car drive past and the youths inside just throw a bag full of McDonalds wrappers out of their car into the road. Then there's the selfish smokers who think they have the right to drop cigarette ends and packets all over our streets.
I work in a large office with a few hundred people and it's a problem there too outside with their littter extending far beyond the smoking area. The sooner the total ban comes in the better things will be for most of us.
Come on, have some respect for other people and your surroundings you smokers and litter louts or have the message brought home with fines.

Kiwi girl.

I was driving on the M1 between Leeds and York last week and the ammount of rubbish at the side of the motorway just outside Leeds was disgusting. It looked as if there was a landfill site spilling over. Our family 'rule' is if you are eating or drinking in the car, you take your rubbish home with you and dispose of it there. Surely its not too difficult!!
3rd Feb 06 01:02

Little Miss Tidy

Hooray to the humble rat! Apparently we are never more than 20 feet from a rat and their numbers are ever growing. Why? because we are dirty, untidy individuals leaving rubbish lying around. We have no one else to blame but ourselves if the rat population spirals out of control. Perhaps if a child got bitten by one of these rodents, parents may take more responsibility in teaching their kids good standards of tidiness and hygiene.

Aleash

In my school, they banned eating and drinking in the halls because of the amount of litter that was left on the floor. There are plenty of trash cans in the school halls. I think of it as a shame on the kids fault for littering and taking away EVERYONES rights to eat between class. Its sad that people can just dump trash on our own land and expect something good to come of it.
1st Nov 05 12:11

David

Have you ever seen kids when they are walking home from school? They just open a packet of sweets (or cigarettes) & just drop the wrapper on the floor without a second thought, as though it was the most natural thing in the world to do. Don't their parents teach them it's wrong to drop litter? Probably not, they will do just the same. It's disgusting.
21st Jul 05 11:07