No road tax on foreign cars in the UK

Living in the West Midlands I am sick to the teeth of the sheer amount of foreign vehicles used on UK roads with no road tax.  In the street where I live there is a foreign vehicle with no road tax.

I contacted the DVLA who advised me that they can drive in the UK for 6 months, after this period they must register the car in the UK, pay for road tax, insurance and get an MOT.  I advised the DVLA that the vehicle in question had been in the UK for 3 year.

Their response was "the law states that they must register the car in the UK", so I asked them what could be done and their reply was, "If they don't register the vehicle then there is nothing the DVLA can do".

WHAT????  I'd advised the owner that it was the law that they should register.  DVLA's response was "well if it's not registered it's nothing to do with us, contact the police".  I even tried to give the DVLA the registration number and address of the owner of the vehicle, but they would not take it from me and basically didn't want to know (you cant escape the computer eh?).

Road tax on foreign cars Police - They said "there's nothing we can do"

I then contacted the police who didn't want to know either.  They said "there's nothing we can do, contact DVLA".  This foreign vehicle had a fixed penalty notice for blocking the street, needless to say that with the vehicle not being registered the fine would not have been paid.  Even after advising the police of this they said "it is nothing to do with us".

My next vehicle purchase is going to be from abroad, that way I do not have to purchase road tax, insurance or get an MOT.  Let's all hope that none of these unregistered vehicles mows anyone down.  The police would have no idea who owns the vehicle or even what kind of vehicle it was.  They would literally, "get away with murder".

Oi

He might be, but he's right about getting rid of the Daily Mail and the Sun. Two things the world would be better off without.

Foreign UK car!!

You are just a frustrated man...get a life!!!

collar

Poo again to the Welshies - this is a thread for non-welsh normals. remember it is in DVLA/government interest to enslave people to drive the maximum amount of tax pennies for the minimal amount of road-mendage ('cyclists' get off scot-free, but that's another gripe). and thus set prices accordingly. To promote people to ring hot-lines to grass their neighbors in such a way that we all feel fear and predujice of each other. To isolate ourselves. To loose faith in ourselves. To not really speak the truth. Work it out for yourself, get rid of the Daily mail and Sun, cast away the tv and start talking to each other. Collar can't reply to comments as he only has one post per day.

Andre

Anyone here can give me advice on how can I register my italian car in UK? Any agency/shop in London to have it done? I'm aware about thousands of foreigners don't pay road tax and drive not roadworthy cars but I don't want to be part of that gang.

car tax payer

I live in and nor are the police. Portsmouth. There is a foreign registered pickup in our road B 0631 HK. It has been about for well over 6 months. We have seen at least 4 people driving this pickup. I also have informed DVLA who are not interested

Bulldog

186 Sort: Police round up dozens of homeless Eastern Europeans in central London immigration crackdown - but just TWO end up being put on flights home If the uk border agency need a hand - let me know I've got a good honest team around ready to move these people on ! I THINK DAVID KNOWS HES OUT NEXTYEAR " let's do something quick to get votes in "

DisgruntledDunstable

Toyota Hilux truck with Irish plates 08-WX-2839 parked daily at rear of NatWest in Dunstable for at least the last year! It seems the best course is what you suggest and buy a foreign vehicle for tax free UK motoring. With newspaper reports and useless government reports I thought the DVLA would have a web page to report such issues, but obviously not. No wonder so many foreign nationals think this is the land of opportunity!
21st Aug 14 11:08

collar

Exactly. Growing up in the metropolis, I saw this happen quite often. I suppose it's that 'He's getting away with something I am not' thing. It's a lot like having a car on one's driveway as opposed to keeping it in the garage- the un-taxed car won't be spotted as often or worried about as much as the non-MOT one and police won't get their report books out just for accidentally displaying the wrong papers as they walk by!
1st Aug 14 03:08

x

well most of the people with a foreign vehicles have to pay road tax insurance (European Car Insurance) and get an MOT in their country so it wrong to say they dont have insurance or road tax.
1st Aug 14 02:08

Seagulls

The trouble with the foreigns is If they took a test when they got here and got 3 minors on their 1st go and passed their 1st car that cost pounds and their insurance was 2200 on a 1.6 pretty slow car then they are paying for people who crashed their car into some stupid boy racer driver, its embarassing to be paying anything less than a £20,000 I have a car that can go 3 times as fast as a foreign one yet my insurance is half the price. As Brian says, ''beat that! Seriously though, insurance is 300 pounds and my car has now cost no-one but me. I now have a Mustang.

Samson (Delilah's too busy to post)

Bulldog......Am I picking up a theme with your posts today? I think you have something on your mind.

Bulldog

The luxury car owners who lost their rides because they couldn't be bothered to buy insurance: McLarens, Bentleys and Lamborghinis among 100,000 vehicles seized in London crackdown NO 10 NEEDS REDECORATING & THE SAUDIS CAN PAY ! OUT WITH DAVID & HIS SCUM MATES ON A TAXING MISSION