Examples of issues that pregnant women face

Although it's nice to get compliments when you're pregnant, it's degrading and embarrassing when building workmen on a busy high street start shouting things like "Oi Sexy, give us a smile!" or "Come on beautiful, make my day!" - I wouldn't mind if they were good looking but they were all over 50 and fat with no hair!  When your'e pregnant, your whole world changes and suddenly things don't seem as easy as they used to be. Here are a few ideas of things that could be done to help make life easier for us.

FASHION - Our fashion designers lack imagination when it comes to pregnancy fashion.  The clothes I have found have been really old fashioned and frumpy.  I feel with the right clothes and shoes you can look and feel very attractive instead of fat!

SHOPPING - When you're pregnant it is not advisable to lift heavy stuff.  In one incident a Security Guard asked if I needed help. I accepted and he then just stuck the item in my basket.  Not very helpful really!  So my advice to people who work in shops, if you offer us assistance please try to make an effort, otherwise don't bother.

QUEUING - I feel that pregnant women should have special privileges when it comes to queues. Standing on your feet all day isn't fun at the best of times, but its much more uncomfortable when you are pregnant trust me on that one! Here's how I think things should be when you are pregnant:

Issues when you are pregnant, women and pregnancy

• No queuing for anything
  • Car parking spaces near the shops like the disabled, so we don't need to walk far with our shopping
  • Comfortable seating in restaurants & theatres
  • Have alcohol free beer in pubs; this should be more widely available anyway.
  • Special menus in restaurants for us, which are more healthy and interesting (with all the stuff we can not have taken out!).  Vegetarians are catered for, so why not cater for pregnant women?

CAR SIGNS - You've seen the 'Baby on Board' signs, well I think for pregnant women there should be a sign saying 'Pregnant Woman on Board' so that other drivers are more patient and careful.  And by the way - no jokes about just having a 'wide load' sign instead!

4Kids

This gripe is clear evidence that a woman having a kid expects special privileges. It’s not enough that every tax payer has to pay you for your 10 seconds of pleasure, but you also want us to treat you with extra reverence whilst carrying the kid. You’re pregnant, your choice, deal with it and don’t expect others to carry you through life. After all, your not the first woman to fall pregnant and won’t be the last.

Discord

Sorry, but you chose to get pregnant, so you should be able to deal with the consequences of doing so. Grow up. My mum raised four kids and when my youngest brother was on the way took three kids on the bus every week to do the shopping. If she can do that, then surely you can queue and walk a short distance. Stop moaning, put on your big girl pants and understand that being pregnant does not equal disabled. A mate of mine who has a wheelchair would kill to be able to stand in a queue.

Holloway

I think that's a bit extreme. If you've been in a queue for hours then, yes, it seems fair for them to serve you or whatever. But they don't have to make special menus-just order what you can eat. And being pregnant isn't a disability, and why should you get special seating? You chose to have a baby, it's not a disability.

kizzy

omg if u cant handle these things being pregnant then you have no chance when babys here, 20 weeks pregnant myself and the only thing i agree on is the car signs, i do believe there should be widely available signs for mothers to be who are drivers to put in there cars there are so many idiot on the road who want to overtake at the most stupid places and drive right up your backside either to make you move or go faster and break the speed limit, so i constantly worry about someone causing me to get into an accident
23rd Nov 11 09:11

Mel

It's only pregnancy, not an illness.. If you can't carry a bag with your shopping because you are pregnant you are trouble.. I never used my pregnancies as an excuse to be lazy!! Disable slots for pregnant women??? What the hell!!! Walking is good for you and the baby.!!!!

proud elitist

I think this depends on what social class one belongs to. Can someone explain why the mistreatment of pregnant women is so prolific among commoners? Treated like pods, or mules, "shut up and quit your whining woman" the "folks" here seem to believe they've formed a real opinion on the matter! But they just come across as not knowing any better or are completely uninformed. Anyways, I'm not interested in having children so I'll be spared from being subjected to this kind of vulgarity. Our old friend Etiquette suggests you offer your seat to the elderly, pregnant women, or the disabled. That's what I was taught by my parents and grandparents but then again they're not commoners. I've witnessed just how loud and obnoxious, rude and callous most commoners are (barely human!). I just can't relate to the scrabbling and hair pulling that goes on amongst the riff raff, amusing to watch at times though. Carry on. ; )

proud elitist

ajp

I would agree - disabled spaces for pregnant women? What a joke.
31st Oct 10 02:10

Kit

I am wondering if the original post was actually a bit of a wind up. A security guard put something in her basket but left her to carry it - why would she not be using a trolley in the supermarket if she (if it even is a woman) could not carry anything? Just an attempt to see how many people would be up in arms about "special treatment". "Pregnant woman on board" and no queueing ? Pull the other one. A troll I think.

Do I look fat in this?

I'm sorry, but really! I'm 7 months pregnant with twins and I can manage to stand in a queue for a few minutes! I can manage to walk the few extra yards to my car. If you aren't feeling up to standing in a queue then I doubt you can go to a pub! Menu thing? Go to a resturant that sells healthy food in the first place! Why would you want to look sexy? You're pregnant! If you're haveing so much trouble ask your husband or friend if they'd ming lending a hand every now and then! I know that there should be better treatment for mothers to be but it was you're choice to get pregnant! Deal!

StephanieLynn

8 months pregnant here, and I don't totally agree with you. Sure it sucks at the end, you are sore, tired, wobbly, swollen feet, etc. etc., but for christ sake you are (hopefully) a grown woman, put your big girl pants on and deal with it. I'm not saying people shouldn't give up their seats on public transit or hold open doors, or offer to help if a pregnant woman is carrying something heavy, that is just common courtesy. But you don't NEED special parking spaces, you can walk the length of the parking lot and it is actually good for you to stay active, and there is no reason you can't queue. And your attitude towards the security guard who helped you put something heavy in your basket. What did you expect him to do, carry it around for you until you were done shopping then put it in your car? It is your attitude toward this person who did something to help you that makes me feel like you are really entitled. Instead of thinking how nice it was of this man to help you at all, your first thought is "Well he really didn't help me as much as I needed".

saz1

Pregnancy is not an illness, its perfectly normal, there is no reason why you can't go shopping, stand in queues etc, stop whingeing. And yes, i've got kids.