Examples of issues that pregnant women face

Although it's nice to get compliments when you're pregnant, it's degrading and embarrassing when building workmen on a busy high street start shouting things like "Oi Sexy, give us a smile!" or "Come on beautiful, make my day!" - I wouldn't mind if they were good looking but they were all over 50 and fat with no hair!  When your'e pregnant, your whole world changes and suddenly things don't seem as easy as they used to be. Here are a few ideas of things that could be done to help make life easier for us.

FASHION - Our fashion designers lack imagination when it comes to pregnancy fashion.  The clothes I have found have been really old fashioned and frumpy.  I feel with the right clothes and shoes you can look and feel very attractive instead of fat!

SHOPPING - When you're pregnant it is not advisable to lift heavy stuff.  In one incident a Security Guard asked if I needed help. I accepted and he then just stuck the item in my basket.  Not very helpful really!  So my advice to people who work in shops, if you offer us assistance please try to make an effort, otherwise don't bother.

QUEUING - I feel that pregnant women should have special privileges when it comes to queues. Standing on your feet all day isn't fun at the best of times, but its much more uncomfortable when you are pregnant trust me on that one! Here's how I think things should be when you are pregnant:

Issues when you are pregnant, women and pregnancy

• No queuing for anything
  • Car parking spaces near the shops like the disabled, so we don't need to walk far with our shopping
  • Comfortable seating in restaurants & theatres
  • Have alcohol free beer in pubs; this should be more widely available anyway.
  • Special menus in restaurants for us, which are more healthy and interesting (with all the stuff we can not have taken out!).  Vegetarians are catered for, so why not cater for pregnant women?

CAR SIGNS - You've seen the 'Baby on Board' signs, well I think for pregnant women there should be a sign saying 'Pregnant Woman on Board' so that other drivers are more patient and careful.  And by the way - no jokes about just having a 'wide load' sign instead!

4Kids

This gripe is clear evidence that a woman having a kid expects special privileges.

It’s not enough that every tax payer has to pay you for your 10 seconds of pleasure, but you also want us to treat you with extra reverence whilst carrying the kid.

You’re pregnant, your choice, deal with it and don’t expect others to carry you through life.

After all, your not the first woman to fall pregnant and won’t be the last.

Discord

Sorry, but you chose to get pregnant, so you should be able to deal with the consequences of doing so. Grow up. My mum raised four kids and when my youngest brother was on the way took three kids on the bus every week to do the shopping. If she can do that, then surely you can queue and walk a short distance. Stop moaning, put on your big girl pants and understand that being pregnant does not equal disabled. A mate of mine who has a wheelchair would kill to be able to stand in a queue.

Holloway

I think that's a bit extreme. If you've been in a queue for hours then, yes, it seems fair for them to serve you or whatever. But they don't have to make special menus-just order what you can eat. And being pregnant isn't a disability, and why should you get special seating? You chose to have a baby, it's not a disability.

kizzy

omg if u cant handle these things being pregnant then you have no chance when babys here, 20 weeks pregnant myself and the only thing i agree on is the car signs, i do believe there should be widely available signs for mothers to be who are drivers to put in there cars there are so many idiot on the road who want to overtake at the most stupid places and drive right up your backside either to make you move or go faster and break the speed limit, so i constantly worry about someone causing me to get into an accident
23rd Nov 11 09:11

Mel

It's only pregnancy, not an illness..
If you can't carry a bag with your shopping because you are pregnant you are trouble..
I never used my pregnancies as an excuse to be lazy!!
Disable slots for pregnant women??? What the hell!!! Walking is good for you and the baby.!!!!

proud elitist

I think this depends on what social class one belongs to.
Can someone explain why the mistreatment of pregnant women is so prolific among commoners?
Treated like pods, or mules, "shut up and quit your whining woman" the "folks" here seem to believe they've formed a real opinion on the matter! But they just come across as not knowing any better or are completely uninformed.
Anyways, I'm not interested in having children so I'll be spared from being subjected to this kind of vulgarity.
Our old friend Etiquette suggests you offer your seat to the elderly, pregnant women, or the disabled. That's what I was taught by my parents and grandparents but then again they're not commoners. I've witnessed just how loud and obnoxious, rude and callous most commoners are (barely human!). I just can't relate to the scrabbling and hair pulling that goes on amongst the riff raff, amusing to watch at times though.
Carry on. ; )

proud elitist

I think this depends on what social class one belongs to.
Carry on. ; )

ajp

I would agree - disabled spaces for pregnant women? What a joke.
31st Oct 10 02:10

Kit

I am wondering if the original post was actually a bit of a wind up. A security guard put something in her basket but left her to carry it - why would she not be using a trolley in the supermarket if she (if it even is a woman) could not carry anything?

Just an attempt to see how many people would be up in arms about "special treatment". "Pregnant woman on board" and no queueing ? Pull the other one. A troll I think.

Do I look fat in this?

I'm sorry, but really!
I'm 7 months pregnant with twins and I can manage to stand in a queue for a few minutes!
I can manage to walk the few extra yards to my car.
If you aren't feeling up to standing in a queue then I doubt you can go to a pub!
Menu thing? Go to a resturant that sells healthy food in the first place!
Why would you want to look sexy? You're pregnant!
If you're haveing so much trouble ask your husband or friend if they'd ming lending a hand every now and then!

I know that there should be better treatment for mothers to be but it was you're choice to get pregnant! Deal!

StephanieLynn

8 months pregnant here, and I don't totally agree with you. Sure it sucks at the end, you are sore, tired, wobbly, swollen feet, etc. etc., but for christ sake you are (hopefully) a grown woman, put your big girl pants on and deal with it. I'm not saying people shouldn't give up their seats on public transit or hold open doors, or offer to help if a pregnant woman is carrying something heavy, that is just common courtesy. But you don't NEED special parking spaces, you can walk the length of the parking lot and it is actually good for you to stay active, and there is no reason you can't queue.

And your attitude towards the security guard who helped you put something heavy in your basket. What did you expect him to do, carry it around for you until you were done shopping then put it in your car? It is your attitude toward this person who did something to help you that makes me feel like you are really entitled. Instead of thinking how nice it was of this man to help you at all, your first thought is "Well he really didn't help me as much as I needed".

saz1

Pregnancy is not an illness, its perfectly normal, there is no reason why you can't go shopping, stand in queues etc, stop whingeing. And yes, i've got kids.

fairly_odd

just to add no i'm not the author of the gripe. I dont agree with some of her points, like the fashion ones, its only 9 months get a grip, and shopping, get help or do it online. just a little old fashioned consideration would be nice

fairly_odd

nicci247 some women are actually disabled while pregnant. I had to use crutches in my pregnancies because of a pelvic condition. so yes a little help and consideration would have been appreciated so I could actually have gotten out of the house occassionally

grumpyoldwoman

As far as fashion for the pregnant goes I seem to see "normal" clothes everywhere that are suitable. The shops seem to be full of loose tops, some smock style, together with loads of drawstring trousers. Jeans all seem to have very big "waists" too, as well as being low slung.
If you can keep them up, that is, but this seems to be a problem for everyone!

Nearly all the fashionable clothes in the shops these days seem to cater for the new female shape, including beer gut! So many girls look pregnant even when they aren't these days I would not have thought finding clothes was a problem!

nicci247

Sorry Stephen, my comment may have been a little harsh, but reality is cold, and some times the cold has to be faced. What would you rather....that she is wrapped in cotton wool and pampered to her every need ? Maybe you would like to pamper her?
Even the elderly dont ask for that kind of treatment, when it is them that should be given it without their asking for it.
She sounds like a spoilt bratt that needs a kick into reality. Either that or call her daddy.

stephen N

nicci247, I do think your comment below is unnecessarily cruel and overly belligerent. Perhaps you were in an exceptionally foul mood when you wrote it?
1st Sep 09 09:09

nicci247

It's no wonder the griper hasn't put her name.
Why dont you get your husband to do the shopping and stand in the queues on your behalf ?
You're PREGNANT, not DISABLED, although mentally disabled you maybe, as you do sound an inch short of a plank.
31st Aug 09 09:08

Nikki

What a load of nonsense !! You are only pregnant for 9 months, and most of that time you are hardly any bigger than you were before you got pregnant.

Can I have some special privileges please? Following a severe accident during which I fractured and crushed two vertebrae in my neck, fractured my pelvis and ankle, plus other injuries, I have a chronically bad back and an extremely painful right knee. My condition is not for just 9 months, it is for the rest of my life and I guess I have several painful and debilitating operations ahead of me to keep me out of a wheelchair.

I'm not moaning, just making a point. There are millions of people far worse off than myself who I am sure would love to have the privileges you mention. And who are far, far more deserving than a pregnant woman.

Garance

Women have been having children for thousands of years, and some are as tough as old boots, get real !
1st Jun 09 09:06

suze

Ha ha, are you joking? I cant quite tell. You think being pregnant is tough? thats the easy bit lol

Congo

Mallory

I did not read any other comments before I posted my first one. Reading the gripe was more than enough to irritate me.

Mallory

Congo

No I am not the author of the original gripe. I would hardly be likely to disagree with myself and comment as I have done if I were. That fact should surely have been obvious if you had read my first comment...

Congo

Mallory

Reasoned and balanced is what I said, and that holds true. The phrase "pre-natal bint" was a quite deliberate inclusion, hence my "somewhat heated" adjunct. I believe the current popular phrase is: 'a wind-up'.

Writing whilst irritated (the topic is not important enough to warrant annoyance) is to be treated with caution, but I indulged myself by using the small, ire-raising epithet in my mildly facetious rant against dangerous driving whilst ferrying the aforementioned 'P-NB' to hospital.

I am perfectly happy to display my good manners and breeding by holding open doors for a lady, helping her lift heavy loads and so forth however I (quite reasonably) draw the line if, or when these courtesies are demanded of me by a strident 'P-NB'.

By the bye, are you the author of this gripe?

Gandalf

Treat all people as you would expect to be treated. That is rather old fashioned in todays society. That is how I was raised, that is how I will carry on.
This means giving up a seat, opening doors etc. Old fashioned I am and will remain.

Mallory

Congo

Referring to someone as a 'pre-natal bint' is reasonable and balanced in your eyes, is it? Ye gods...

I also mentioned that concessions to the extreme weren't always necessary, therefore your 'bending over backwards' could not reasonably apply to my comment. I certainly don't expect anyone to 'bend over backwards' for me...I prefer to do it myself as it eases the backache!

I think beneath your somewhat degrading way of expressing yourself you do make some good points; namely, pregnancy IS a 'self-inflicted condition' and not a disability, and should not be treated as one. I get quite ofended when told I shouldn't drive/life things/move because of the baby. However, helping out an obviously pregnant woman by holding open a door or lifting something heavy is essentially down to something called 'manners', which many people these days seem to forget about. Regardless of a pregnancy or not, manners cost nothing.

Congo

Mallory.

You are perfectly entitled to your view of my statements but be advised that firing off a few feeble insults does not affect me in the slightest.

Having reviewed my comments I can stand by them as a reasonable and balanced (if somewhat heated) riposte to the opinons expressed above.

To reiterate, I have no objection to anyone being "up the duff" as you so quaintly express yourself however falling over backwards to accommodate is hardly a fair expectation.

KJ

I don't agree with pregnant woman parking or the way these women compare themselves to the disabled. Having kids is a choice, disability isn't!

Holding doors and giving up seats is fair, but I do that for people anyway if I'm in a position to be helpful. However, I think the concept of pregnant women having no queues for anything is a tad out of order on other people who may be in a hurry or have bad backs, etc.

Mallory

Congo - You'e either a male chauvanist or a woman with no intention of having children. I find your comments disgusting, outdated and downright insulting for the most part. Admittedly most pregnant women don't need to have too many concessions made for them, but the fact is, we're responsible for another life and it's our duty to take care of that life as much as humanly possible. How would you feel if your mother/sister/wife (if applicable) was treated like a 'pre-natal bint', or had a miscarriage due to excess heavy lifting? Believe me, it does happen.

Personally, I think it's your comment which is the joke. I didn't think anyone could be so medieval in thier views about pregnancy in this day and age. If you ARE female, I hope to the gods that you never fall pregnant, and if you're male, PLEASE don't ever get anyone up the duff! Otherwise you might just find out how nasty your comment really was...

Fatty

I got kicked off a bus when I had morning sickness, well really it was all day sickness and I asked the driver to stop because I felt sick and needed to get off, he refused and then when I predictably threw up (into a carrier bag that I permentantly had on me for such an eventuality) he THEN stopped and threw me off the bus in the middle of nowhere and said he didn't want my 'type' soiling his bus! For a start, I didn't soil the bus, the carrier bag wasn't so lucky however, and secondly if he'd stopped when I asked it would never have happened. I was on my way for a scan and although wasn't heavily pregnant I did say that I wasn't drunk, I was pregnant 'likely story' he said and drove off, to add insult to injury as I walked along the side of the road and was sick again, 'soiling' a grass verge, the police pulled over and asked what I was doing, I replied 'throwing up' as I retched and they were really snotty - until I produced my scan appointment letter, they then gave me a lift to the hospital and even gave me a bottle of water!
I agree that more should be done to help pregnant women, growing another person is hard work and I had experiences in cafe's where I asked for things to be done slightly differently such as a fried breakfast but please make sure the eggs aren't runny as you can't eat them when you are pregnant and got tuts and 'never did me any harm' comments.

Congo

"No queuing for anything
Car parking spaces near the shops like the disabled, so we don't need to walk far with our shopping"

How about special trains and buses, every one adapted to accommodate, special reserved lanes for your car, waiter service in the supermarket, priority in hospital over everyone else, even the seriously injured?

Why not go one step further and make it an offence not to assist a pregnant woman on her demand.

Maybe the rest of us should leap out of your way every time we see you to avoid any possible inconvenience, to prevent the slightest possibility of your having to cope with everyday life?

This thread HAS to be an early April Fool joke. It CANNOT be at all serious.

As if a self-inflicted, perfectly natural condition deserves any special privileges or respect from us mere non pregnant mortals.

And - "Pregnant woman on board" car sticker? Well that at least is a good idea. But - it should have a caveat:-

"HAZARD HAZARD HAZARD. Danger!. Pregnant woman on board. Driver likely to race through traffic like a complete idiot, without warning, ignoring other cars and stop signs. In fact, driver likely to put everyone else at risk simply to get some pre-natal bint to hospital in a hurry, because she might possibly be giving birth any time in the next month"

Mallory

"You've seen the 'Baby on Board' signs, well I think for pregnant women there should be a sign saying 'Pregnant Woman on Board' so that other drivers are more patient and careful. " - You can get them! I have one which is a teddy bear holding a sign saying 'Mother to Be on board', and my pregnant friend has a 'Bump on Board' sticker :-)

But as to special menus in restaurants...can you imagine what it'd be like?

Speciality of the House: Gherkins a'la chocolate spread. Icecream on chips. Charcoal.

Nah, would never work...

Rach

Mmm, I seem to remember from my Biology lessons that each of your mothers had to fall pregnant to bring you people into the world. Im sure they may have had a few gripes along the way. So is that how you would have felt towards them when they were carrying you? Wow,some people have no compassion for the people around them,

Charlie

Why do pregnant women and the families of pregnant women insist on telling you every detail of what’s happening to their baby and their body and think you are interested in seeing their scan pictures?

My husband and I have lost 4 babies through silent/missed miscarriages, traumatic in it self and after much discussion and soul searching we have decided not to try again, mainly because of the emotional distress loosing one causes, never mind loosing four.

My work colleagues have been supportive and have know our struggles to have a baby and our decision now not to re-try so.................. why oh why then does one of my work colleague whose daughter is now 10 weeks pregnant insist on talking to me everyday about the pregnancy, how her daughter is tired, how her daughter is getting bigger etc etc etc on and on and on.

To top it all off now, she's come in and shown me her daughters 10 week scan picture.

Why do pregnant women and the Grandparents of said due baby think that non-pregnant women are at all bothered whether the pregnant person is feeling tired, emotional, nauseous etc.

Pregnant women all over the world, your baby is only special to you and your immediate family, not to anyone else - GET IT
23rd Sep 08 11:09

John

Maybe you should've kept your legs closed. It was your choice to get knocked up, so stop moaning. I bet your a serial complainer even when your not pregnant.

jj

I think all those negative comments are posted by selfish people who have absolutley no idea what a difficult pregnancy feels like. Fine if you sail through with no problems but not everyone does. I for example have multiple sclerosis & diabetes which has made my pregnancy and general health far more difficult. just remember that when you see a pregnant lady you have no idea of her circumstances, normal or otherwise and as a human being you should be more considerate to others in general. Fine if your pregnant and dont want special treatment, dont accept it, but it is more than welcome for some of us. Grow up..some people in the world have more to cope with than others,lifes hard enough and its ok to accept help.

Nikki

Maz : please tell me you ARE joking? Pregnant women parking spaces? Now I have really heard it all.

How about Over 50's parking spaces?
or
Bad back parking spaces?

God, the world has well and truly gone completely and utterly bonkers.

Lottie

You are pregnant not ill for God's sake get over yourselves!!!

Saskia

Wonderful, pleasant and sapient women turn into complete nincompoops and self centred rude b-words when they are pregnant. I have seen this happen often. I just wait until it is over, forget the rudeness. Then I wait some years longer until they have passed the phase when they think their child is the most wonderful and brilliant in the world (this doesn't go away), but realise that they are not being rational and the majority of the people actually think there are more interesting subjects in the world than nappy contents.
I am a woman and a feminist. I think it is very disheartening that even the most intelligent women turn into inane twits when they reproduce. It really doesn't help the cause, even though it is generally temporary.
3rd Aug 08 03:08

D

I am amazed that so many people have left such negative comments. Perhaps they have forgotten what it was like being pregnant, or that every pregnancy is different and sometimes harder than others. Or maybe they are simply men who have no experiance to be leaving their opinion. Regardless, I agree with you. Being pregnant is important, you are two people in one body. Just because the baby has not come out yet, does not mean you should be treated any less. When I was pregnant with my son, I was always at risk for passing out. I drank plenty of water but still was very weak and vulnerable. Having a dedicated parking, is not just convenient but safe for mothers to be and mothers with children. Yes, their are people with terminal illnesses but that does not mean that we should exclude pregnant women. Having a specific menu for pregnant women is brilliant. Filtering what should not be consumed by a pregnant woman is so much safer and better for our future. Many moms to be do not even know what they can and cannot eat and having that would help a lot. Whoever left the comment "just because you are pregnant" is just rediculous. Pregnancy is very serious and should be treated seriously. Like I said earlier, every pregnancy is serious. Some women get very ill while pregnant, with diabetes, anemia, some discover cancer, the list goes on. Who are you to judge; you're nobody. Because a good majority of the world has pregnant women, is it not selfish. Doing these very few extra things for pregnant women helps our world and our future.

?!?!?1

oh for crying out loud. To all you who made snotty comments, if you have a problem don't read the page...........your all idiots

Get in the real world.

You are an asshole who should never be allowed to have kids. You would be a rubbish parent because you think the whole world revolves around you. I suppose you think that we should all pay for these kids of your too. There are people with terminal illnesses out there and you are moaning cause you are pregnant. Get in the real world you selfish cow.

Aislinn

What special privledges come for us women who cannot ever have children?
Your pregnant! It only lasts 9 months! Some of us would love to walk in your shoes, who can't.
Stop being selfish and get a clue.

Glasgow

Re: the car signs, you apparently don't know that they're actually to alert firemen that there was a baby in the car whose car seat may have been thrown out of the vehicle in the event of a crash - not to ask other drivers to be "more patient and careful".
You really must be joking with this post... but thanks, you've made me laugh!

what a joke!

omg! are you for real? Ive had 2 kid and not once did I complain. I got pregnant... thats not other peoples fault, and its not forever. It only gets harder love.

Lisa

You're pregnant, not dying of cancer! There are people out there who can't even get out of bed and live life. Think yourself lucky - you're having a baby. The discomfort will be more than worth it, I'm sure.
1st Jan 08 06:01

Green_Eyez

Speaking as someone who is 5 months pregnant I really disagree with this post. I'm a very capable, independant lady and I can't stand being mollycoddled and pandered to and that certainly hasn't changed just because 'I'm pregnant'. Although I certainly don't object to being made to feel a little bit special and pampered by my husband (I'm carrying his child after all!!!), I certainly don't expect to be treated any differently in the outside world just because I'm pregnant.

It's all about common sense and I'm sorry - but you ARE capable of carrying a basket of shopping in a shop. You aren't ill and it's not going to damage your baby - you know that as well as I do.

Stop being such a wimp and stop giving out the impression that all pregnant women are feeble little mice who think the world should revolve around them just because you're pregnant. This is more about attention seeking for yourself than the well-being of your unborn baby.

Maz

I too thought this was a joke gripe. You're pregnant, not ill!! Why on earth should pregnant women get everything handed to them on a silver platter!!! You're still capable of opening doors and walking a few extra metres to the shop! My local Asda has "pregnant women" spaces. I always park in them even though Im not pregnant and if anyone were to ask, Id just say I was 3 months gone or something. I regard these spaces as discrimatory towards people like me who aren't pregnant. Your are not ill, you are not disabled, in many cases, you have inflicted this on yourself so don't act like the world owes you a favour!

Devongirl

First off, I'm also pregnant.

I'm afraid I completely disagree with the griper here. By enforcing good manners you simply breed resentment amongst others. I prefer to rely on the good manners of others to help me in my daily life where needed. I work in a very courteous environment, where people hold doors for each other (yes - especially men for women, and no I don't think they are being sexist I think they are being nice). I can't believe you denigrate such a helpful response from the security guard - what did you want him to do? leave his post and get fired to escort you round the entire shop? he helped you out of nothing but courtesy, doing what he could. You should have been pleased!! People at my local supermarket, seeing me struggle a bit (actually I think I looked pale as a ghost and a bit shaky) have on more than one occasion offered to allow me to jump ahead of them in the queue.

Please don't lets devalue these wonderful people by enforcing simple human kindness.

On a slightly harsher note - its actually your own responsibility to plan and adapt when you are pregnant. Shop at quiet times, drive more carefully, arrange for others to sort out heavy and bulky items. Its what family and friends are for at such a happy time!!

yoyo

At first I thought this was a joke gripe. Then I realised that it's not.. oh god. oh god!

I know pregnant women can be a bit short tempered, and sure they do need some respect and help, but to be so self righteous? Sickening.

Tina

Oh wow! Pregnancy parking sounds great!

The only help I have had with shopping was an old woman letting me go before her!

It seems like the new generation just don't care about anyone

Lizzie

I am 12wks pregnant and have recently lost one of my part time jobs as a nanny (working 2 days for one family and two days for another) I have been a childrens nanny for 11yrs, working for some famous people too with all references. Now that I am pregnant I am having such problems finding another job. Every interview I go to, I tell them I am pregnant but I need to work and would also like to continue working once the baby has arrived, yet never seem to get the job. Some people actually say to my face "well it won't work if your pregant". Even with temp jobs I get the same problems. I need to continue working but know one will employ me. I feel discriminated to the point I might have to go to citizens advice. What do you suggest.....

Bob

avf2006, Don't let the Brain Dead get the better of you.There are people on this site who feel the same as you about the unintelligent morons who get on this site but if you leave it then they have got what they want.

blunt

it isnt an illness!
to compare it to disability is wrong imo.

surely you knew what it would be like?

Rays

Hey guys, Im a midwife. Maybe being pregnant is a bit tough, but in the grand scheme of things it is a beautiful event that should be wondered. Please spare a thoought for all of those for what ever reason are unable to get pregnant and can only wish they were you. After all what is nine months out of your whole life? You are truely rewarded at the end of it.
1st Oct 06 01:10

Emmalina

*!%# I hate it when pregnant women compare themselves to the disabled, and even go so far as to want their damn parking spaces.

avf2006

oh my god! I stumbled across this website whilst looking for things I could get for free from companies...a girl likes a bit of luxury every now and then for free. and you know what, I was shocked at the attitudes of some peoples comments! unbelievable that in 2006 the consideration and attiudes are no different towards us pregnant people than they were 100 years ago. Im also giving up trying to convince men that they have a part to play in the whole scheme of things and that with all the best intentions in the world, sometimes things just dont work out the way they are supposed to - ie money etc. we make the most of it and give the little person the best life we possibly can. so, im going back to my little world, where people arent rude, sexist or ignorant and am going to make the most of the next 7 weeks. get a grip!!!!!

Morgaine

The worst thing about being pregnant was the fact that people treated me like I had some terrible, chronic illness.
I did manage to respond politely to everyone who assumed I had turned into a fragile Victorian flower who needed coddling, as I knew their intentions were kind, but it drove me berserk. I happily worked till a week before my daughter was born, and while not heaving servers or 21" monitors round any more, I was quite capable of queuing, carring my own shopping, and generally still functioning as an independent human being.

As for all the aggressive reactions from men, I think this is the response that women were going to receive when they took away all men's rights to have any say in whether or not to be a father.

Only child parent

My generation was taught that having more than 2 children was anti-social and damaging to the environment. Now that the roads are almost at a standstill with the amount of traffic..and no one can get across them..people think its OK to have large families again. Thank Blair for that!!

Lady

Pregnant women have issues? What? Are you serious. This stuff is really unimportant in the whole scheme of things. Pregnancy isn't a right, it's a privelage!

angelwings99uk

I am going to admit to you blokes something its easy to get pregnant and life off the state and it only needs a few things to stop it happening:
free condoms
good schooling to encourage repsect for yourself and an willingness to work and achieve.
and mothers to stay at home with there children (and im a woman honest) and bring them up properly.

Ivan

Dear MC, for everyone like you who 'maintains' their kids, there are thousands of others who don't, they claim child benefit and income support and tax credits and a lot of other things too numerous to mention.Poor old pensioners, can't pay their council tax because their income is too small, even if they have paid in all their life, they don't get help unless they spend all their savings (which were meant for fuel bills etc) 'Mothers's' get a free living off everyone else's back, even those who work and have kids themselves. Why should you deny your kids a basic living, (by paying too much tax) so that an irresponsible guy and woman down the road can fund their kids? This is not an ideal world where everyone takes the same responsibilities. Not everyone is earning enough to fund someone elses child.
21st Mar 06 09:03

my name is michael caine

Ivan , when you are a tax payer, like myself and my husband, there is no such thing as a freebie. we have children, we work hard to maintain them, so explain the 'freebie'

Ivan the Giant

Michael Caine I take it you have a few brain cells missing, it is the business of ALL taxpayers how many kids people have, as the taxpayers are funding all the freebies the mothers receive. Freebies they don't require or deserve. Looking after your own child is a parent's responsibility, not everyone elses.

Axanna

"Do you seriously think a 'baby on board' sign makes people drive more carefully? Haha. . . grow up dear"

No it doesn't but it warns them that if they mess up and hit the car they are subjecting themselves to extreme yelling and lawsuits.....women protect their children.

I think the pregnant woman on board signs are good..today I had a cop following so close behind me that if I would have to made a very fast emergancy stop he would have hit me.This is a Police officer i'm talking about here someone who should by all means know better.

My name is Michael caine

Ive helped blokes, who are on crutches/wheelchairs, who have got into that situation by playing a sport they love, I suppose next time I should say ' open your own f***ing door, you got yourself into that mess'

My name is Michael caine

Well said Jack, but then this gripe has sorted out the men from the non men.

jack

No one is asking for any special treatment. In other countries, you know, giving the seat to a pregnant woman or having a special queue at supermarkets or banks only for pregnant women (or priority for them) or even special parking spaces in shopping centres closer to the entrance is just NORMAL. I think is only a matter of education and consideration. It's something you are taught by your parents, just good manners. Pregnant women "got themselves into that situation", sure, but what does that have to do with anything? Wouldn't you help ANYONE that seems to need your help??? I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU GUYS...

My name is Michael caine

Psst Ivan the not so Great, is it really any of your business wether I have 5, 10 or none kids? That isnt really the gripe , now how about putting those fat lill fingers on your mouse, scrolling up and re-reading what the gripe actually is.

Ivan the giant

I don't doubt Emily, that you are one of those irresponsible young ladies who cannot 'remember' to take the pill, and you have 3 or 4 kids, living on benefits, never mind dear, you won't be short of responsible folks who willingly go out to work to contribute to your sad chosen lifestyle.

Emily howerd

You dont sound very bright toy boy, mind you ,with a nic name like that, an intelligent comment would have been too much to ask for

Toy Boy

Lets just face it, a pregnant woman could have prevented it by taking a little pill, or is that too difficult? so DON'T moan about the consequences, and DON'T expect others to give you any special treatment, I expect you will be demanding more kid benefit and tax credits next. . tut tut. . .take some responsibility for yourself and your OWN actions. . .

my name is michael caine

You have to laugh at the blokes who say 'you got yourself into that situation' basic biology wasn't a strong point for them obviously. Come to think of it, neither was good manners.To the man who suffers from chronic excema, I can tell you now you will get a seat to yourself, who wants to sit next to a bloke who is itching like a beast, and resembles an out of date flapjack.
3rd Mar 06 10:03

Fran

Some of you really missed the point, and some of you were just stupid. I think the whole point of this article is to highlight the problems faced by pregnant women daily. They're not asking for special treatment, just some consideration.
2nd Mar 06 02:03

Toy Boy

I think the gist of it is this, don't moan about being pregnant, you chose to be. Only you can take the 'pill' to prevent it, it is the only reliable method of contraception so if you don't use it properly, it is your own fault, a pregnant woman should not expect to be put on a pedestal or worshipped, she should accept her situation, as only she could have prevented it.

pregnant woman

this site has come terrible comments you lot are such horrible people

Jesus

"Have alcohol free beer in pubs; this should be more widely available anyway." In all fairness, alcohol free beer is like an escaltor to nowhere, there's just no point. Sure, some of that stuff is reasonable. However, theatre seats _are_ comfortable, generally because you have to sit there for hours on end.

However, overweight people can complain about the same things, but that doesn't mean that they'll get it. Unless it's genetic, or a certain few illness, it's their fault for being fat, just like it's your fault to get pregnant. You don't have to, and it's your choice to go all the way, as it were, but you shouldn't get special privileges just for being pregnant.

anon

Being pregnant is a choice, not an illness. I don't get special treatment because I suffer from chronic eczema, nobody offers to help me carry things (which I sometimes can't do when my hands are inflammed). Yet someone who chooses to be pregnant expects the whole world to stop for them. The female body is designed to be tough and can cope with pregnancy and the problems associated with it. I think it is just an excuse to have everyone bend over backwards and to be pampered all the time.

Sophie (no need for stupid nic

For all you wallies going on about baby on board signs. One of the main reasons they exist is to alert the emergency services that there may be a baby in the car when they get to the scene of a car accident.

Also: What a bunch of inconsiderate plonkers post on this site. I bet you three men are single and probably grossly unattractive. Let's also hope that one day you have the opportunity to push a grapefruit through your japs eye, see what you think then.

SEPHI

Special care should give to expecting mothers,look at it this way we all wouldn't be here if it wasn't for our mother, we should see it as a gift many people of this worl today would'nt mine to get kids of their own and maybe we will not lost our children by the baby theifs .IT'S WONDERFUL TO BE EXPECTING GIVE THESE MOTHER THE BENEFITS OK.

Kevin The Gerbill

Yes, Pregnant Woamn on board ... I must make a point of not ramming into the back of you today because of that sign. Whilst I'd always give up my seat for a pregnant woman, stop expecting the world owes you everything - whats next, how your future offspring should have the right to go to the best school and stuff everyone else ?

Toy Boy

You are right about the pratt driving, most women with baby on board signs are pratts, they don't concentrate, and only a pratt would think a sign makes others drive more carefully. As for taking two to get prganant, it is only the woman who is responsible for taking a tiny little pill to prevent it. If they don't they suffer the consequences, so don't complain. There's no excuse, pregancy CAN be prevented by the female, so be happy with standing in queues etc.

annoyed

The Hobo,Toy Boy,

This makes me think of the sign in a car 'Baby onboard' under that should read "Pratt Driving".

It takes two to get a woman pregnant, and YOU two should get you BRAINS out of your pants and start using them.

It looks as though your both 'PIG Ignorant'as is the youth of today

Toy Boy

The Hobo again

The author of this gripe needs to get things straight. You are pregnant, thats your problem. Your not cutting in line while I have to wait my turn, just because you forgot to use a condom.

The disabled have seats near shops etc because they are crippled, you are pregnant. When we lived in caves women managed, so can you.

Comfortable seating? If things aint comfortbale enough for you, feel free to pay more. I dont want my ticket prices going up just to keep you comfy.

As for changing menus, yeah fair enough you can have that one.

The Hobo

Huh? you got yourself knocked up love thats your problem, not mine. If you dont want the hassel dont get pregnant, thats my tip.

Toy Boy

I wouldn't give up my seat for a pregnant woman, if you get yourself into that state, then put up with it! why special privalages? put up and shut up.
23rd Jan 06 08:01