Comic Relief and televised charity events a rip off?

First of all, let me say that Im not a bah humbug kind of guy and would like to think that I am just as charitable (if not more so) than the next guy.  I always buy into all the Comic Relief and Children in need stuff as its just been the normal thing to do ever since I was a child.  I would guess that the same is true for a lot of people out there.

But when I look around and even do some research on the Internet, I still see lots of the kind of things we have been paying to put a stop to for about the last 20 years now.  And not only that, I have never seen one thing to suggest that the money is really being spent in the way we are told.

So where are all these kids that we have allegedly helped?  In Africa?  Although it is conveniently very far away I don't think for one minute that tiny bore hole in the ground costs 10 million a year to maintain!  I see all this money being collected but have no idea where it is actually being spent, because it certainly isnt anywhere near me.  If I could just see a bit more evidence of the good being done then perhaps I would not be so suspicious.

A clown face, red nose day, Comic Relief Comic Relief... So where is the other 30p going to?

Now theres another thing that makes me feel a bit uneasy about this situation.  The television and radio companies (BBC radio is the worst) charge you £1 if you send a text to them, with 70p of this money going to Comic Relief.  Err excuse me, so where is the other 30p going to?

I'm pretty good at arithmetic (taps away on the calculator) and I reckon that 30% of all the money from these texts must add up quite a pretty penny.  Why should we be asked to give generously when there are companies out there using these events to make a hefty profit? Surely they can do it at a reduced rate for Comic Relief?  Why can't a larger portion or even better all of the money go to the people who REALLY need it?  Oh no, of course not because its not the big companies that stick their hands in their pockets; thats a job for us - the "paying" public.

I really do think that by simply doing the easy thing and giving to Comic Relief just to ease your conscience is actually taking money away from the real charities that could use our help.  Does anyone else agree?

By: Jimmy Wyld

jo

I totally agree whit you man and not to mention the celebrities that get paid for doing the show why cant the work one night a year for free and even better donate some of there money to charities like normal people do but no they feel there pockets whit money that suppose to go to charities

witsend

Its the tip of the iceberg. All charities are the same. For every £ given you will find that the charity pays for:- wages (Taxed), goods (Taxed), Storage(taxed), shipping (Taxed) bribes (not taxed but then tax is a sort of bribe), local manpower and greasing palms (not taxed), paying warring factions (both food and money) and then finally 1p arrives with those who need it.

What is really concerning is charities admit to giving bribes to local military forces both in terms of food, money and equipment, to allow them to get to the needy. Therefore you are funding wars in impoverished countries. Donations are big business and provide for illegal activities. Very little gets to those who need it.

A large charity admitted that it shipped 10 landrovers to Africa to help with aid and 9 were handed over to the local fighters so they could use them as military vehicles.

The answer stop giving to all charities. This will collapse the organisations and will eventually lead to wars ending because they won't be able to fund them locally.

You donate, you kill innocent people whether you like it or not, whether you believe it or not.

Tony

Yes, I agree 100% with your comments. I am the chairman of trustees of a charity which set up and runs a school in Zambia for disadvantaged children (Italafoundation.com) We saw that what we did fulfilled the requirements for international grant aid from Comic Relief so we went ahead and put in an application. It was refused, so I phoned them. No-one was able to give me any reason for not making us a grant and they got quite shirty when I asked what, exactly, I would have to do to get funding from them. I suspect that if you are a mate of a celebrity and have a prestigious, high profile project then you might stand a chance. I mix with many other similar groups who are doing charitable work in Africa and none of them have ever got money from Comic Relief. What is annoying is that £93 million of charitable giving has now been taken out of circulation.

Teenager

Yes but also if all of the presenters/bands involved gave lets say about £500,000 out of their HUGE salary instead of just going on about what a great cause it is - you are STONKING rich why don't you donate lots????

fruitman

I have been living in Africa for the last 15 years and have not seen any significant signs of any help given. The polititions and drug companies are probably the only ones who really benifit from this aid. Strangely enough you never hear about red nose day or the money that's supposed to be helping the African communities, not in the papers or tv. Surley something as big as red nose day would get some mention, I only know of it because I am British. Why is it that if comic relief has poured so much (over 200m) into Africa that things are still the same or even worse in some areas, it doesn't take much to set up a bore hole or to educacate the locals in taking care of the water and themselves. After all these years of "charity" there would be some positive change and that Britain would at least get one mention for its contribution. So where has all the money gone? Is comic relief just another channel for money laundering at the cost of people who genuinly care as with some other charities. I think we should look deeper into this issue and demand more transparancy before we coff up our hard earnt money. There is some improvement in western education although very little and that is supplied by the local and national governments although this is causing more problems as more people are leaving thier villages to seek work in larger towns and cities only to find there is no employment. Ultimatly this leads to more crime and violence and hard drug selling. If we really want to help we need to come up with a new solution, what do you think?
1st Apr 13 08:04

Lu

Once again its comic relief but where has all the money gone?! the bbc make this program begging us for money and we want to help can they show us where it goes. Why don't they make a programme showing us where the money has gone.

Oi

Yes it is.
Yes it is.
Yes it is.
Yes it is.
22nd Mar 13 06:03

obiliveson

3 cheers for Mike Oxlong, count me on your side. So here we are, post Comic Relief, and yes, yet another record amount of cash raised. When times were really hard back in the 1970s recession and in the 1930s Great Depression, giving to charity fell, that's right, it fell. So what's all this tosh nowadays about bad times, recession, double dip. Take note chancellor, if the man in the street has enough spare cash to raise another record amount, you're not hurting them enough with taxes. So feel free to raise taxes and get us out of this damned economic depression.
21st Mar 13 03:03

nicky

I was wondering when someone comes on stage and says the government has said they will match what ever we have raised so far (being the lovely government they are!) am i donating twice ?where does that money come from ?
21st Mar 13 12:03

MBO

Mike Oxlong and a-no-brainer. Agree with you completely 100%

Mike Oxlong

I AM a bah humbug type person.
I have never given to Comic Relief or Children in need or watched a second of either telethons.
I do however give to the charities of my choice when I choose to do so.
I hate being told to take part in something. Forced Charity is like forced jollity for me fake and not appreciated.

immenstrides

i bet those celebrities live in tax havens
scum

a no-brainer

you can be sure that if a celebrity made a big donation, they would make a bigger song and dance about it because they are vain narcissists (if they werent, they wouldnt be in that job!)
so if you dont hear anything of the sort, they will only donate their time (cheapskates) and claim their expenses (extortionist thieves)
its a licence to print money and the public are fooled by it but more shame on the bbc because they portray it in a moral light

grumpyoldwoman

Justic294; the thing is we don't really know how much money celebrities give to charities, they don't publicise it. Some of them may give quite a lot - we wouldn't know.

Mia the Cat

Many so-called charities are little short of a con. Look at Cancer Research - there have been natural, effective remedies for cancer for years (search online) and yet big pharma doesn't want us in on it because they profit hugely from manufacturing drugs. If effective research was given over to cancer it would no longer be a major cause of suffering and death. Other charities use high proportions of their income for administration, and some employ street promoters who get up to £9 per hour + bonuses for those they sign up on monthly direct debit.

As for Comic Relief, where is the actual 'relief' felt and how much donated money actually reaches the target people? I never give to charities except for local, under-funded animal welfare institutions that do a great job with minimal proceeds.

Am sick of celebrity culture and self-promoting prima donnas, many of whom are hypocrites. Maybe an intermediary body ought to handle charity proceeds and distribution - an organisation that can be trusted. Yes, tricky one that.

Justic294

I totally agree, some of the worlds biggest celebrities get paid millions if not billions each year, on a normal show they would be paid a couple of thousand to show up but if its a charity event they supposably give up that money for the charity.
But I still don't get why if you have millions and millions of pounds, why can't they stick their hands in their pockets and give u a couple of million instead of a couple of thousand, why is that left to the average person who may only get 100,000 thousand a year. Thus should go towards paying bill and food for your family but then comic relief comes on the tv, you realise how good you have it and then you give some if your money.
So in conclusion celebs get millions a year and donate a couple of thousand which they can afford but could afford to give up a lot more, and the average family gives up ? Which they may not be able to afford.

boblet

I agree FUP the twerp has nothing original to say, but the freedom of this site is worth keeping for normal folk, do not fret. Dog shlt just disappears in the end.

FUP

Most of Jobby's posts are direct quotes but they are neither in quotation marks nor attributed to the person who penned them. Being out of context they also sound like gibberish.

Today's "the God who created man must have had a sinister sense of humour, creating him a reasonable being, yet forcing him to take this ridiculous posture, and driving him with blind craving for this ridiculous performance." was said by D H Lawrence about sex.

Recent quotes have been by Michael Caine, Muhammad Ali and Dan Marino. The Michael Caine one was just used as means for Jason/ Leaving Soon to rant on again about the so called coldness of the English. A lot of the Jobby quotes are just a means of feeding the other side of the character information to start up again.

The quote below

The post of 10-Mar-13 10:04

"Are your kids learning the right lessons about colonisation? 100s of years after Queen victoria's henchmen murdered thousands of innocents on foreign soil, too many children have been spoon-fed the thin gruel of progressive political correctness over the stiff upper lip antidote of truth."

is a complete distortion of a piece by Michelle Malkin, which was about the dangers of ignoring Islamic Jihadism and originally said :

"Are your kids learning the right lessons about 9/11? Ten years after Osama bin Laden's henchmen murdered thousands of innocents on American soil, too many children have been spoon-fed the thin gruel of progressive political correctness over the stiff antidote of truth."

I don't know but I would have thought that could leave the site owners of the WG open to legal proceedings. Part of Malkin's career is paid public speaking and she is not going to want her words stolen and their meaning twisted.

More to the point regarding the WG is that it's so pointless and dreary as people spend time writing a post only to have it drowned in sludge of nonsense that takes only seconds as it has been lifted from any number of online sites and not thought out by the writer.

I agree with Friday Lunchtime that the site needs to be log in with email linked to username so that there is a degree of accountability here.

dd

The sheep that donated pat yourselves on the back you just willingly paid taxes and kept africa in poverty! Hers a glass for next years rnd where we will see nothing has changed or come of the donated money! Its a sad thing! And all the goverments doings! But hey ho what can we do? Yes sir 3 bags of tax sir, and since when did celebs have anything to do with it? Of corse they will go on the show extra cash and to get noticed again hey why not? What shall we all moan about now sporty spice not wearing a sports bra?

grumpyoldwoman

Mr Wendll; you are of course entitled to dislike Lenny Henry & James Corden, but the fact remains that neither of them, or Michael McIntyre for that matter, can be called "talentless fake Z list so called celebrities". Especially these days when the TV is full of nobodies who've been famous for about ten minutes!

the obvious, I think maybe the mosquito nets would be bought locally with money donated, rather than bought here and sent over. I do understand what you mean about helping them to help themselves though.

Nick

I had to switch off last night as I was laughing so much I wet myself. Is this really the best of British comedy, I would have donated just to end this crap

the obvious

So we give to comic relief and they send mosquito nets to Africa. Only problem is the guy who has a mosquito net business in Africa. He employs several guys who's families rely on the money earned to survive. Now the influx of free mosquito nets and the business is no more. In a few years time the mosquito nets are worn and need replacing but no-one is making them anymore. They question. isnt about helping them, it's how we help them by letting them help themselves.

grumpyoldwoman

Lenny Henry has been around for about 40 years; and has been one of the major figures in Comic Relief since it began.

James Corden is a big star on Broadway!

Charity begins at home

Well done to the BBC for having even more talentless fake Z list so called celebrities in one show than even The only way is Essex ( Or Towie as the Mongols who watch it call it). Michael McIntyre, James Corden, Lenny Henry need i go on. Personally i would'nt donate the smell off my poo to their stupid cause.

BTW Friday Lunchtime i would'nt say you were racist at all i would say you were spot on with your comment.
Good riddance to RMH theres always one stupid liberal dogooder isnt there.

Friday Lunchtime

The only way to ensure that aid gets to those who need it in Africa is to go there and distribute the goods directly to the needy, cutting out the middlemen. Even then, it is not unknown for tribal chiefs and leaders to get their fat snouts into the trough.

Africans do not care about anyone outside their immediate families, they are greedy, corrupt, mercenary, vicious, brutal and merciless. The continent is doomed, unless it is to be recolonised.

And to those who will call me 'racist' for saying this. That's absolutely fine.

CC

No amount of money 'given' will solve the problems in Africa, it's a basket case run by self serving greedy heartless tribal leaders. Let natural selection take its course!

THRND

their clearly is a need for charity and compassion , but the truth is foreign aide is stiffling self help and development throughout the African continent. The oringanal post stirs up similar doubts in many of us because we are all aware of the link between charity and corruption (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123758895999200083.html) I notice throughout last nights CRD programming and unlike years ago, the presenters never once mentioned exactly "where" in Africa the charity was needed just that it was desperately needed in all "Africa", thats a bit worrying......so the aide over over the last 25 years hasn't decreased the problem then, its actually increased the problem!! The charities still needed our support but government need to start changing the conditions for aide, I know that will sting the liberal do gooders, but what you advocate in unconditional aide is far worse.

I<3Charity

Oh and I personally don't support or give to RND as I've seen the ridiculous cuts the BBC, BT and other large organisations take out of the donations and its sickening that they stoop so low to take out of charity to line their own pockets the work they do for this day should be voluntary not a way to make a profit at other expenses!! I also find it fascinating known how churches work very closely with Africa yet on RND catholic schools in particular don't endorse it or allow much for it? Is it due to them knowing the majority of the money will never reach where it is portrayed to go? Someone on here who is a part of the Church could you please explain to me why they are not forth coming to RND but they are to other charitable events please

I<3Charity

Do those who donate on RND give a shite when they see UNICEF or Red Cross adverts or do you ignore it and turn over? Why do we feel the need to just donate on one day of the year just because its in the media and you can't really escape it and its a what society jut does now and ur frowned upon if u dont give to RND so feel guilt unless u give but then ignore it every other day of the year?? Why not if u believe in giving to Africa or other poverty ridden countries do it of ur own back not when ur made to because of the medias influences???? I personally give each month a small amount I various charities at home and away so I know it's of my own back because I want to make some tiny difference not because its what I'm expected to by society otherwise I'm deemed a "bad" person.

x

Fyi I have donated a friend a good bill for going to kenya to educate voluntry! This is wwhat I support, where we can see it, no its not about us...but we are the ones made to feel guilty, when we are the ones struggling for our own whilst the rich get richer

dd

RMH my comments were not aimed your way either you are completely right, it was aimed at the person who asked why are these women having children they can't support! As if it is a choice, and then again to most of england who believe we could even help by doniting! Maybe if we stood as one and made sure to see where donations arre going? Do we ever see a updated programme on this? No! People are ignorant they choose not to educate themselves where education wasn't or isn't braught to them on most things truth wise! A lot of hidden secrets in this world! *enough for every mans need, but not every mans greed*

RMH

One last thing before I leave this page for good......
d d, the ignorant f'wit comment wasn't aimed at people in Africa, it was meant for the people posting on this board.

Goodbye

DPT

RMH

I wonder how many of you have held a child, parent, friend, and felt them die in your arms. Have any of you ever experienced that? It's not a matter of them and us....we're all human beings. And the measure of a person isn't how much money you earn or how much money you donate to charity, it's the compassion you show for other human beings who are suffering.
And compassion doesn't have boundries or postcodes. It doesn't care why it's needed or who's to blame...it is unconditional.
There strikes me as very little compassion on here, with everyone showing their true murky colours. Pray for yourselves, that you never ever live to feel how others in this world are suffering. Carry on making excuses to yourselves to not give, blame everybody else if it makes you feel righteous, quote goverment statistics until you're blue in the face just as long as it doesn't interfere with your own perfect little lives.
Sleep well people, and think yourself lucky you were born where you were.

dd

Africa is rich in nourishments in order for the greedy man in suit to keep control they keep those people starving in poverty and pain, they gain more! Charity wise and they still have control over the country! The african govnerment is happy with their 'donation' from us kind hearted guys! As soon as people start opening their eyes you might realise, you 5 won't make a differnece to these innocent people only too the greed and evil govnerments it will!

d d

Why aren't these people taught birth control? Reply to that ignorant coment, is there time to put a condom on or a thaught for that matter when its r a p e*? These unfortunate women are 'forced' and abused over and over! Easy in a country where no one helps or cares they have no police a phone call away, or even a phone for that matter! Use your brain! Do you think these women enjoy struggiling to survive and trying to give life and nourishment to their newborn babys with no support nothing to eat? I am sure they are smarter than you, except they have no choice! Not your fault though, your ignorance would be lack of education, of corse the british and americans only educate on what they want us to know nothing near the truth! On that note I'm going to comb my wool'' baaaa''

Realistic??

Why aren't these people taught birth control? We give them our money because we are upset by seeing starving children but why do their parent being them into a place in which they a made to lead a horrible slow painful life until they starve to death?? Give them condoms and teach them... Helps the aids/HIV also stops so many children being born into a life which no child should be born in to!! Fair enough they want children or could possibly bring one child up but then to keep having a lot of children for the majority to starve to death with hunger why would you do that. I know I'm lucky that I live in a country where I have health care ect but I never want to bring a child into this world if I couldn't give it the bare essentials of food and water

Confused90

Gets to me that there are 32 biliionaires in the UK alone if try gave 10% of all money they have (whih can't possibly spend) that would be £3200 million to charity yet it's the working class people who are asked to give money most of those are scrapping by to make ends meet. Also no one gives every time they see Red Cross adverts on because we have become accustomed to seeing them and many simply turn over or ignore the adverts but yet RND put same advert on where all dipping into our pockets why?? Why can't just do it any other time but this one particular day of the year I don't understand. Finally Africa is one of the richest if not the richest country in the world yet their people are in deepest poverty why?? What is the government really doing with there money, why dont they help their own people or why isn't all the charity money not helping. The money given already should have certainly made a well or safe water place for every town or village in Africa but they still asking for money for water?? Why aren't we shown how much money is going to the causes and where it's actually being spent?

miserablemoaninggit

The hosts of comic relief disgust me. The salaries they are on compared to the average salary is astounding. Surely, I cannot be expected to sit in front of a TV and listen to these over-paid presenters telling me to part with my money.

I detest the whole Red Nose Day thing generally when it comes to the TV - BBC1! - element. However, that doesn't stop me from giving to local, more thoughtful efforts.

Swade

Charity begins at home and home is not Africa unless you are an immigrant. Not much more to say. Africa needs. To resolve its own problems and a larger population is not the way forwards a balance of resources will though help the continent forwards.

RMH

What a bunch of ignorant f'wits. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

beentoafrica

I can't understand why the people in Africa is still no better off especially that so many are dying every day, the ones who are still alive should be well catered for with the amount of money collected every year, i see not much improvements in their well being. So many years Comic Relief has been collecting tonnes of money but people are still starving, have not enough medication and still no proper water system, farming tools, meds for malaria, housing proper fuel and no clean clothes on their backs. How is it possible with SO MUCH MONEY being Pumped into the country???? somethings not right. £1 could help 1 child we raise billions..?????

Bumble

Why are we asked to help out another countries problems, when we are in the sh#t enough ourselves as a country.
Why don't they just put all the money used to produce the event into a pot, and stop badgering us to donate. I would actually like to know how much it costs in total to produce, and the amount of resources wasted in doing so.
A simple solution would be to just ask Mr McIntyre dip a hand into his pocket, considering he earnt £21million on his last tour, and give us all a bit of peace and quiet. Maybe Mr Kay would like to help out too.
And, if it's Comic Relief then, where is the comedy!?

sarah

I too am sceptical about where the money goes x I think it's better to donate directly to charities x I heard that the donation goes to the African government but they keep it for themselves leading extravagant lives with nothin being passed on x it's sick that we can trust no one

Callmecynical

I recall that during the run up to Live8 , Pink Floyd guitarist Dave Gilmour in recognition of the exposure such an event gave all the participants suggested that all performers should donate a percentage of their royalties of the back of their appearance for the next 12 months. He suggested this should be a condition of playing. Guess what no one took him up on it and they all went on to increased sales.

Brian

I’ve not given to Comic Relief for years because of my deep-rooted sense of unease about all the chutzpah, hype and mass hysteria surrounding it. It’s got to the stage that in our society, you are vilified if you even think of questioning the whole Comic Relief circus. I really do not know where the money goes to – or more to the point how much of it gets to the needy. When you consider that a goodly proportion gets creamed off by the artists, technicians, executives and companies before the programme even airs, it would be easy to believe that only a couple of pence in every pound actually makes its way to the poor village in Africa that, we’re told, needs a bore hole. If what I am writing appears inflammatory to all those do-gooders out there, then think on this: The same hype and general impenetrable aura of moral righteousness surrounded that other denizen of BBC charity work, the late Jimmy Saville

boblet

Genuine charities should be supported, the problem is the Charity Tricksters. Somebody on the Charities Commission should name & shame the tricksters. Come on Charities fight for your life. Good people, your lifeblood are fed up with your passive approach to con men/women.

obiliveson

I too have become suspicious of these media charity events. I have a child in need and no charity has contributed anything to that need. In fact, we've had to contribute ourselves in order to keep her art group going as they ran out of money. I don't contribute to Comic Relief or Children In Need, and largely for the reasons already stated on this message board. However, I do give several hundred pounds a year as lump sums to mental health and motor neuron disease charities as my family have been affected by both these. In return I get a newsletter telling me what they spent my money on and they also publish annual accounts so that I can see there's no bigwig taking a huge salary, and no celebrities being paid to big themselves up. It is these charities that do the real work, not the TV sponsored events that hide a multitude of sins. Jimmy Saville, need I say more.

Mimi

Hello Jimmy Wyld
I was directed to your post when I googled for information about comic relief. I have not been able yet to find out specifically where/to whom the money is distributed.
I have not read all the comments on this post but agree completely with the general tone which is I think as follows:
a. all of us wish to help those who are genuinely in need, whether it be abroad or at home.
b. all of us need to know where our money is going.
I would think that a charity has to be held accountable i.e. that it must have public accounts.
Our family gives annually to particular charities, which we have chosen. I was asked recently to give to comic relief and felt obliged to decline. I believe that we should all be good stewards of what we have earned. Therefore, I cannot give to comic relief until I know where the money goes.

Radley

Comic Relief- Red Nose Day: Wikipedia states: “The average full-time staff was 214, with 14 staff paid over £60,000 with remuneration for the year, excluding pensions, for Kevin Cahill, Chief Executive of £120,410.”
This is why I am fed-up with B.B.C.’s Red Nose Day. Since it was revealed that Terry Wogan was paid about £8000 to present it some time ago I have refused to donate. There is suspicion that many of the ‘celebrities’ receive remuneration, and/or expenses for appearing, and at the least get free publicity.
I prefer to donate all my charity money directly ( N.S.P.C.C.)
No doubt some will think I’m being miserable, but I can’t believe I’m the only one who’s fed up with this.

Stalag14

"I will continue to donate but there never seems to be any improvement in the life's of the children in Africa, they still die from diseases and starvation. Why?"

AK47's are the "Designer Item" to be carried by any male under the age of 30 in many parts of Africa, so many wars, so much corruption.

anon

@Sue, I suggest you stop being so naive. I suspect you already know where the money is going to! a little bit here, and a little bit there. Too many fingers in the honey pot.

Sue

I agree about not seeing improvements. I gave £50 to the Haiti charity but can see no difference being made to the lives of the people there. Where did the money go? I would also be interested in finding out how much the presenters contribute financially. I give a lot to charities but I do have questions regarding some of the projects funded in Africa, innoculations for example. Why can't the African governments find the money to pay for those? I will continue to donate but there never seems to be any improvement in the life's of the children in Africa, they still die from diseases and starvation. Why?

miserablemoaninggit

Comic relief? The British tax office - HMRC - is only capable of relieving 1% tax from comics like Jimmy Carr.

takethetruth

even after the 70p has been donated, just think how much of that money isnt going towards the carity, for example the charity director usually pocket themselves around 100,000, what kind of sick person takes that amount of money away from a cause like helping people to lead a better life? no one needs that much to live on, no one

frenchpersonnot

Mike P you are a total con and everyone hates you and your pathetic stories high, you have no life or friends and all you can do is go to the Internet and lying to everyone, the best part of you slide your leg fell moms.

Much better in Google English I think

Fabrice

Mike P vous sont un con total et chacun vous déteste et vos grandes histoires pitoyables, vous n'avez aucune vie ou amis et tout ce que vous pouvez faire est continuent Internet et mentent à chacun, la meilleure partie d'entre vous est descendue en glissant votre jambe de mamans.

Mr Clartybum

Spot on, charity begins at home if all these Ethiopians are so poor why have so many kids then?

What do you call an Ethiopian in a Leather Jacket?

A Gearstick

oi

Charity does begin at home. UK needs to get it's house in order first and might be better placed to help others when a little more stable.

Let the flaming commence.

Sceptical

The longest river in the world runs through. What do they use it for? A Toilet
2nd Sep 11 12:09

Jimmyw

Wow I posted this piece a few years back, and I check on it every 6 months or so....

Its seems to me after reading the comments, that more and more people are wondering where is all the money going!!!!

There is another famine now and these people need our help!!! but how can we?? I don't trust that the money is going to these people I just don't believe it.

So the question is now. Who is nicking the money and WHY are they doing it... these ARE serious questions that need to be asked so that WE can help these poor people.

Until there is accounting transparency of all charities we cannot help. So we need to be asking charities for full undisclosed accounts that are available to the public. (why they are not already is evidence of corruption in my eyes). If we can stop the rot maybe we can get back on track and we can stop the theft of goodwill that is literally killing millions.
1st Aug 11 01:08

Jon Paul Price

Where does the cash go?
Sixty percent of Red Nose Day money is spent in Africa and forty percent here in the UK.
A group of 20 experts carefully work out which projects should receive money.

Since Comic Relief started 20 years ago they have raised over £337 million and made over 7,000 grants. Over £169 million has gone to projects working with poor and disadvantaged people in Africa. In the UK, over £99 million has been given to projects working vulnerable and disadvantaged groups and communities.

Examples of projects:

UK :Bullying is a big problem for young people and can lead to huge amounts of distress and anxiety. The Merseyside Anti-Bullying Steering Group provides a telephone helpline and support for young people affected by bullying.

Africa:During the years of conflict in Sierra Leone, many young boys and girls were forced to join armies and were traumatised by their experiences. Comic Relief is helping to reunite some of them with their families and to give some, especially girls, an opportunity to go school and learn a trade.

Get more details on the sort of projects helped from the Comic Relief website

p.s. I'd like to add this point: What people raise through charities makes a huge difference and yes it's true that some companies try to get a pinch of the profit, they see it as advertising rights. I'd recommend donating directly too the charity rather than through a phone network or whomever is advertising the charity.

I'd also like to make this point: If you question the persistance of charities and why they come back asking for money for the same problems year after year then i'd recommend asking your government that question... Charities do make progress and save countless amounts of life's but it's the governments of the world that have the power to make poverty history. There are campaigns out there you can join to put pressure on world leaders such as the One campaign.
21st Mar 11 09:03

MikeP

You should read a book called 'Dead Aid' by Dambisa Moyo, she's a Zambian internation economist.

Quote :
[Why Aid Is Not Working and How There Is a Better Way for Africa]
In the past fifty years, more than $1 trillion in development-related aid has been transferred from rich countries to Africa. Has this assistance improved the lives of Africans? No. In fact, across the continent, the recipients of this aid are not better off as a result of it, but worse—much worse.

In Dead Aid, Dambisa Moyo describes the state of postwar development policy in Africa today and unflinchingly confronts one of the greatest myths of our time: that billions of dollars in aid sent from wealthy countries to developing African nations has helped to reduce poverty and increase growth.

In fact, poverty levels continue to escalate and growth rates have steadily declined—and millions continue to suffer. Provocatively drawing a sharp contrast between African countries that have rejected the aid route and prospered and others that have become aid-dependent and seen poverty increase, Moyo illuminates the way in which overreliance on aid has trapped developing nations in a vicious circle of aid dependency, corruption, market distortion, and further poverty, leaving them with nothing but the “need” for more aid.

Debunking the current model of international aid promoted by both Hollywood celebrities and policy makers, Moyo offers a bold new road map for financing development of the world’s poorest countries that guarantees economic growth and a significant decline in poverty—without reliance on foreign aid or aid-related assistance.

Dead Aid is an unsettling yet optimistic work, a powerful challenge to the assumptions and arguments that support a profoundly misguided development policy in Africa. And it is a clarion call to a new, more hopeful vision of how to address the desperate poverty that plagues millions.
End

ally

Yes, it's why I googled, "Does fundraising like Comic Relief really help Africans?" The search lead me to your page. I was struck by an African volunteer interviewed on TV who said he found a lot of the West's 'help' was patronising and also a large part of the funds raised never actually reached the very people it was raised for. He wanted the West to stop supporting regimes which caused many of the problems for 'ordinary' Africans and to stop just throwing money at them.

scotland

Is all about the governent ross kemp extreme worlds went to haite and he discovered nothing been build such as houses everyone living in tents drinking sewage water. Where is all the so called cash gone to help them.. Watch the proof:
where is these people help, it take ross kemp to go into haite and tell us about whats happening!!!!! where all the donations, ill tell you in governments hands!!

alan

Red nose day is a complete con. I don't buy into it just like I don't buy into any other big charity event and the puffed up holier than thou celebrities that host these things just make me want to heave! When are the going to show us school hospital houses theyve build for them!!!!!!!!!!

debski

after watching all the help such as for mental heath, well ive been to a trying to get help for years, and there no funding for nurses to council patients, Also watching the one doctor help a whole country, these people have been getting money off the world for years, so why is there not a hospital build for them... Comic relief id a rip off, to fund the government.....And its still in chrises!!!Makes me laugh because there using other miserys to gain money... sickos.

md

I always seem to end up watching Comic Relief as friends want it on and enjoy the entertainment! It makes me uncomfortable on every level and puts me in a bad mood for days. I do try to find the positives: yes, it is good that we have some charity in the country rather than none at, yes other people get excited by it and who am I to deny them that? But I do prefer my approach of giving £43 a month to a varirty of different charities, one of which I have had a direct involvement in and seen the results. Comic Relief is, in my opinion, a once a 'ease your conscience ' show for those who donate, and just an entertainment bonanza for those who don't donate, and these people either don't have much in the way of emotion or else become desensitised to the images - how else can they sit through it? Waiting for Catherine Tate or Alan Carr to appear? We were sitting sipping Cava throughout last night's show, great!
Yes, someone will get helped by it somewhere along the line and I wouldn't want to deny them that but it really is a gut-churning approach to raise money.
Another different point: There are a lot of cultural and religious aspects to consider, but in my opinion anyone in their right mind would spend most of the money encouraging contraception so that babies don't get born into such a hideously degrading life in the first place. You don't have to be rich but you need some kind of disease-free infrastructure and respect, poor people seem to get nothing but disrespect.

g

I think comic relief is a waste of time. They say they are raising money for UK and Africa but mainly focussed on Africa. BBC showed more videos of children in Africa than children in the UK. I wonder how much money is actually given to charities in the UK??.

Ashleigh

I completely agree and I was just thinking exactly the same, hence the reason I ended up on this site. If celebrities paid money, like the ones hosting the show, then the millions living under the poverty line in England may feel better. I have never seen lasting results from ideas such as Comic Relief which worries me. Where are these millions of childen that have been saved??

thetoneuk

I can`t be-leave that comic relief is still trying to empty our pockets for foreign aid, when this country needs as much help as it can get. I feel that we as a nation black, white,brown, we should sort out our own problems first

Sweeble1

I agree with some comments made, companies such as BT should not be keeping any of the money for themselves, that is a disgrace. I do however worry about an aspect of comic relief, the money that is to be sent to Africa - does it reach the people that need it or is it lining the pockets of already rich African leaders. If we sent the mosquito nets and other equipment needed would they actually try to sell it to the people? We do need to see the footage of the people that need our help to promote the emotional response of donating, but it would also be nice to see what good has been done overe the years, it seems we are constantly trying to fill a hole with a leak.

colin whitbrook

I think that children to be given the gift of sight on this earth is a miracle and I would like to donate but never do because I would like to make sure it goes there . Where is it possible to do this

colin whitbrook

I like many other working class people would like to a give to a certain charity but am not sure if it will end up there .Tonight comic relief have s.aid you can give some child the gift of sight for 150pounds do they say how many chidren and elderly it amounts to

PatC

Agree. Total rip off. I will stick with my monthly standing orders to worthwhile causes. It doesn't help that it is forced fun and not even funny!!

Neve

comic relief is not a rip off !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it helps people to get there life back on track !!
the website is so stupid!

Alistair

Davo

Can you recall Cherie Blair, caught up in a scandal involving a Melbourne charity.

The Conservative Party questioned the circumstances of her appearance as a guest speaker at a cancer charity function in Melbourne.

Mrs Blair received more money than was passed on for actual cancer research. Unaware she was about to be caught up in a scandal about a charity, Cherie Blair was seen asking for more money at another charity function.

A charity dinner in Victoria at which she was the guest speaker. That dinner raised nearly $200,000, but only $16,000, just over 8 per cent, went to the cancer research sponsored by the Children’s Cancer Institute.

The rest went on costs, including nearly $38,000 that was paid to Cherie Blair.

That distribution of funds could mean the end of the Victorian branch of the Children’s Cancer Institute.

In Victoria, a charity has to pass on at least 60 per cent of funds raised. Consumer Affairs Victoria has questioned whether the charity should be allowed to continue operating.

The lovely Cherie accepted $70,000 for a talk in Washington while her husband was talking to the US about cancelling African debt.

CHERIE BLAIR: Throughout all of this, I have only ever wanted to protect my family.

In other Western countries, there are pretty clear guidelines that say if you are the husband or wife of the President or Prime Minister and you take part in an event like this, the money should go to charity.

Now, the irony in this particular circumstance is she did take part in a charitable event, but the money didn’t go to charity.
3rd Mar 11 11:03

Davo

This Comic Relief has well passed the sell by date. Silly ole me thought that charity began at home. I always thought it be wise to sort out your own home before rectifying that of others.

From early days of Live Aid with crack-pot Bob Geldoff, World Aid and just about every other aid you can imagine, Africa is not one step further upon the dust track of recovery. The phenomenal amount of western coin thrown into this dire, economical pit, we could have flattened and rebuilt Africa a thousand times over.

Don't be asking me for any money as you won't be getting any, not one penny! Simple reason being that I don't have any to give. Go knock on Wayne Rooney's front door and ask him for some coin. All the money he has for kicking around a pig's bladder for ninety minutes a week.
3rd Mar 11 11:03

keith

we are bombarded all day with tv adverts from one charity or another, where do they think all this money comes from when there is a world recession and high unemployment. I am fed up with being told to give generously when I havent got it to give, and seeing all these so called celebs walking around at our expense telling us to give our money , why dont they stay at home and give there money to charity instead.
3rd Mar 11 08:03

DSG

Hundreds of thousands of poor Africans still die of malaria or sleeping sickness because we don't approve of them using DDT. The single most beneficial thing we could give Africa would probably be reliable, ubiquitous electricity supplies - but that would mean encouraging them to mine and burn their vast coal and oil reserves, thus following our own historical pattern of industrial development.

But this would never do, would it? Not because of the (supposed) effect on (the alleged) Global Warming, but because of where it would lead. The last thing Western governments want is an industrialised Africa with its teeming millions of cheap, undemanding labour. It's bad enough that India and China are rapidly modernising and will soon outstrip the rest of the world in economic clout.

Don't want these bloody Africans getting in on the act as well.

Bishboy

Whilst I applaud the wonderful work charities do, I have two gripes. Firstly, I think the Government will not spend (our) money on important issues whilst charities continue to do their work! They just think - oh great, they are doing that so we needn't worry! Secondly I am tired of these charity-thons: sport relief, comic relief, children in need - etc. Vastly over paid celebrities giving up their time (oh, well done you) and using emotional blackmail to persuade ordinary working folk to give a few quid none of us has got. My idea - every premiership footballer gives up one week's pay. Have a guess how much we could raise without all of us poor folk digging deep?...and they wouldn't even notice it. I think it's near to £12 million, based upon published average weekly pay, but excluding all the win bonuses. Now that's what I call getting good PR. Then we can start on the other highly paid groups. Imagine the good news banks chiefs would generate if they offered up a tiny % of their enormous unfair bonuses? Last year I actually heard of one professional footballer offering £5 for every goal they scored. Wow, how generous!

DSG

I wonder why millions of people think that they can fix all of Africa's problems by tossing cash at them? What do they think its going to do,turn into food and water? Most of it ends up in the corrupt leaders' hands anyway.

mardi gras the candyman can

isn't it funny how celebrities get on television and patronise us about giving to charity and helping those in need when they are worth millions and are not seen to give a penny. comic relief is a good idea on paper however by making light of serious situations by using comedy you simply cheapen the issue. I know people who watch comic relief on sky plus so that they can fast forward the ''depressing bits about africa'' as they put it. what is the point in watching it for anything other than it's charitable meaning. I believe that giving to charity is a very profound thing to do however I don't believe that ''comedy'' and ''children starving'' are too things that you should mix. a matter of princible.

DSG

Imagine there's an African mosquito-net maker who manufactures 500 nets a week. He employs ten people, and this being Africa, each of those employees supports as many as 15 relatives on his modest but steady salary. Some 150 people therefore depend on this thriving little cottage industry, producing a much-needed, low-cost commodity for local people.'Enter vociferous Hollywood movie star who rallies the masses and goads Western governments to collect and send 100,000 mosquito nets to the afflicted region, at a cost of a million dollars. The nets arrive and a "good" deed is done.'  The result? The local business promptly goes bust. Why buy one when they're handing them out for free? Ten more people are unemployed, and 150 people are without means of support.

mja

Perhaps you "still see lots of the kind of things we have been paying to put a stop to for about the last 20 years now" because you and people like you (the rest of us) haven't been generous enough not because we have been too generous (pours self large glass of champagne).

If you want to see evidence of the good being done there have been plenty of Comic Relief videos, or more generally you could look at charity web sites. Africa has actually made a lot of progress over the last 20 years or so.

pinch

Comic relief, is the people who give to them who are the comics

pinch

It makes me laugh, if a single mother needed extra financial help for a child and reported her problem to the local authorities, she would most likely be accused of neglect and the charities are fully aware of this, save the children, dont think so, come to think of it have never known anyone receive help in this country. met a single mother in the street to whome I know, what a lovely day I said nice day for the sea side, she replied we have not been yet as we cannot afford to go, GREAT BRITAIN

Jeff of Brimstone

Christianity. Now here's a dirty word. Mr Hicks 08-Jul-2009 09:45

Did you know that if the police ask for your name, they are not allowed to ask Christian name, it now has to be first name. Asking for Christian name is now deemed as offensive.

Don't you just love this society we now live in? I really want to witness it destroy itself to the rotten core.

anne

I never give to third world charities, because rich countries have spent billions on aid for these countries, but nothing ever changes. They are still just as badly off, because the money ends up in the pockets of corrupt doctators, not spent on the people it was intended to help.

Matrix

Only mugs give to charity.
Remember people
CHARITY BEGINS AT HOME.
Dont give them a second thought!

Gainsborough lad.

The only relief my wheelchair bound daughter has had, is being relieved of her inheritance by the csa, to be given to an idle slag.

So bad is this that it is almost comical.

The csa, taking money of disabled kids since 1993.

Darken

Remember you can access any charity's annual accounts which should give a rough salary breakdown and how large their reserves are - the NSPCC makes interesting reading.

Artic K

Has anyone looked at the comic relief's jobs being advertised and seen what salary is being paid. money kept in a bank account and interest which people have donated is paid to these jobs. I wonder what comic relief's Head of Media and Public affairs is paid and the rest of them? wait for this one £250 to spend on any hobby. .i'll give to local charities. not going to do any more absailing down buildings for this charity . H of M & P A you know who you are!!

CharityGiver

I am old enough to remember the first "Live Aid" in 1985 fronted by the then Boomtown Rats' Bob Geldorf. I particularly remember him becoming animated and swearing on TV - something that wasn't done then!

20 years later, there was a repeat.

Why?

In 1985 I wanted to help the world. I gave what money I could in the belief that my donation would help. Clearly it didn't.

Today, I choose my donations to charities very carefully.

I keep my donations to small, local charities who don't have vast reserves in their bank account.

I still care about people who struggle in the third world, which isn't Africa alone.

But if you listen to the podcast of a Mr. Jack Clark, who is far more knowledgeable than me, you'll see why.

Just do a google search for: "Blast the right" and scroll down the page to podcast number 137 - and listen to it, and you'll see why music concerts and charity giving aren't the answer.

it's all wrong!

Doesn't Terry Wogan still get a huge salary for presenting Children in Need????

Mr Hicks

Comic relief is Absolutely not a rip-off.It is a pure example of christianity in action.Anyone who thinks there is some kind of "conspiracy" behind it is very sadly crippled with emotional cynisism.

Me me me

How do people manage to give all this money to Comic Relief when there is a credit crunch on? Will any of the money be going to families of those who's fathers and mothers have been made reduntant in the UK and have nothing left? Nope. I'm not against charity (I'm running the race for life), but I don't get how there is so much money in the purses of our nation for Africa and so on, when we ourselves are supposed to be in an economic slump. Are people stupid or what? They should be saving at a time like this, not giving money away - sorry but sometimes charity does and shoud begin at home.

Verity

I agree with you Jimmy Wyld !
Approaching £60 million raised for 'charity' is admirable.....but just for the heck of accountancy, HOW MUCH of license fee money was actually spent in producing the six hours of celeb 'entertainment' ? The kind-hearted British public donate twice........firstly by funding the various 'performances' , then by donating directly ! Does the BBC ever reveal the actual costs involved ? Is this a transparent annual event ?

jo

I cant believe the public can be so naive and so galable about this comic relief its sad

Cynical and proud

There's no such thing as charity anymore, it's all just business - getting money out of your pocket into theirs and making you feel good about doing it until they want another installment from you.

Ask yourself: what car do the directors of such and such charity drive? what kind of house do they have? how much do they pay for their websites, TV and magazine ads?

And why (as the original poster here said) have none of the problems these charities are supposed to be dealing with have been solved by now after all the millions poured into them?

The answer: if they were solved, these guys would be out of their jobs, BMW's and million pound houses.

ehsan

it is very good that we are devoloping in this comic relif we are helping the poor people.

Sara

In addition to claims of big business profiting off huge charity events such as Comic Relief, I have an additional worry. I have been under the impression for a number of years that the money the UK public willingly give to Africa through Comic Relief, the government gives in a form of a loan, with extremely high interest rates. I am not sure if this is entirely true. However, it would explain why Africa and other countires are not developing as fast as you may think. With high interest rates to pay aswel as the loan, there is no wonder why these countries are still struggling to develop. Recently a friend informed me that his school refused to raise money for Comic Relief because of something to do with this loan. If this is the case, why should our government profit from money which the general public give intending to help Africa. This is purely taking advantage of undeveloped countries who need our help. Also, if everyone knew about the loan then im sure a lot less people would be willing to contribute to a charity which pushes Africa into even more debt.

grumpyoldwoman

bahjaafricanandproud; how about you go and get some spelling lessons?
What exactly are conilsied and soution? Where is Eourope?

bahjaafricanandproud

africa would have not been in this soution had eourope not conilsied it! duh santiago go get history lessons .
3rd Mar 09 05:03

bahja

at least it makes some sort of diference, people come on get a life.
3rd Mar 09 05:03

Jimmy Wyld

I POSTED THIS GRIPE ABOUT 2 YEARS AGO!

I've noticed this year; the 30p admin fee has gone. Now the full £1 is going to comic relief! EXCELLENT!!! We must consider this as win for public opinion and for the weekly gripe. If you left a comment, give yourself a pat on the back (as I’m sure the BBC read them). Now if they could show some money being spent and some of these problems being fixed. I would say my gripe is over.
3rd Mar 09 05:03

A viewer

My gripe with Comic Relief and Children In Need is that it makes utterly dreadful television, takes over the TV schedules for a whole day/night, and is very, very patronising. It's one long guilt-trip-athon for the rest of us. I give regularly to certain charities (NOT these ones) yet I'm made to feel like an old scrooge when I refuse to contribute to Comic Relief or Children In Need, or (Heaven forbid!) I dare mention that the aforementioned TV programmes are, well, more than a little bit rubbish.
3rd Mar 09 03:03

Jimmy Wyld

I POSTED THIS GRIPE ABOUT 2 YEARS AGO!

3rd Mar 09 12:03

Jimmy Wyld

I POSTED THIS GRIPE ABOUT 2 YEARS AGO!

3rd Mar 09 11:03

sundance

I agree with this, better by far, to contribute to smaller, local charities that really are struggling. I was appalled to learn that over £3m went into Age Concern from Comic Relief actually - as they appear to duplicate their information-giving services throughout the country - when smaller organisations offering more direct help only constitutes a fraction of the grants. Food for thought isn't it?

Jon Jon

Is there anyone educating these people? How much money have we thrown into the pot in how many years?

Us British are the administrators of the world, always have been throughout history and still are. There's only so much we can do and surely, for so long.

No doubt, we will be bombarded yet again with graphic images of Africa upon our screens.

Besides Comic Relief events, what are all the big charities in this country doing? I'll tell you what they are doing, they are skimming the top from their huge financial account, a little of the interest they have accumulated and then making a declaration of their donation. They are a business more than a charity.

When I donate to charity it goes to small local charities. I prefer this as it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling it hasn't gone straight into some Director's Hugo Boss suit pocket.
23rd Feb 09 04:02

Benny James

This is spot on, it occurred to me whilst watching Comic Relief, when I saw an African lady pouring her families toilet bucket into the local river where all the local kids were playing and drinking the water, I though to myself "if after 20 years of Comic Relief (and millions of years of evolution) these folk still have not figured out not to poo in their own drinking water and to boil the water they drink then there is no hope".
After years of donating money to Comic Relief, I donated my money to the Heart Foundation instead
22nd Feb 09 07:02

Gandalf

Entirely agree with Craig and Jon.

The injection of money into their culture, if it gets there is like the spolit rich, mummy daddy I need I need and mummy and daddy give. Craig summed it up very well.

Santiago

Africa is, always has been and always will be an economic and social basket case.

A bottomless financial pit where huge sums are wasted by despotic so-called 'presidents' like Mugabe.

Jon Jon

Craig is right. We are constantly chasing dire situations, feeding them with money. How much money is needed? Are we to throw cash at every problem for eternity?

I often wonder where the money has gone. Hit with Images that are more upsetting than the previous event. It seems to me that money is not the answer.

If you see a man hungry, don't give him a fish, teach him to fish.

craig

Every Year We Raise Millions of Pounds For Comic Relief And Have Done For The Last 20 Years But Every Year Its The Same No Progress Seems To Have Been Made And The Way I See It If They Havent Sorted It By Now They Never Will. Maybe At This Moment In Time Of Economic Crisis We Should Be Looking Closer To Home With Our Hard Earnt Cash?

Ray

Yes I totally agree, I don't know anybody who has benefitted from comic relief or many of the other childrens charities either and I have known a pretty large section of the impoverished communities within this country.

Also I find it very interesting , but sickly that people who tend to take part in comic relief usually in the short couple or three weeks after the appeal have programmes on the television. Is this not using this to gain popularity and viewers for thier programmes. Dawn French and Lenny Henry are very good at this kind of manipulation if thats what it is.

Been

Okay, I think you right in saying that we should investigate to see where are donated money is going and that it is being put to good use. But dont see how blaming the companies on cashing in on the rest of the 30p will help anyone. As for us the 'paying public' perhaps you should actually check up on the BBC and see what sort of charity work they do, because to be honest they have helped get money to a lot of people more that me and you could do.

Mu

Does no one else find it obscene and perverse that every year we sponsor a huge party where our most over paid and rich basically celebrate child poverty? Maybe a better way to confront need is to tell the Beckhams and Forsyths of this world that they are taking too much for what they do and it’s costing poor people their life expectancy. Same on us all for allowing such riches whilst we have children in need.

Boring old fart

I remember many many years ago trying to get help from children in need for a little funding to help to get a youth club up & running for the young people in the town that I used to live in. Alas to no avail. I also remember being told by some one that there was so much money left at the end of the year that a lot of it got spent doing out offices, with office equipment eg computers furnishings etc that no one really needed. How true is that. ? There just seemed to be so much I couldn't make sense of. May be things have changed today.

I think it goes for most charities today every now & again it would be good to have a break down of all monies & how they are spent.
1st Dec 07 10:12

sicktotheteeth

I think you are simply stupid. Our faith teaches us to alwayz help pur neighour, in any way possible, and what easier way than to give a pound or to out of the £340 average you make a week? And whoever left the comment about 'digusting human beings??' SHAME ON YOU>

lol

why dont cr have open accounts for the public to see as its the publics money ?

I hate you

Comic Relief and Children in Need are a waste of charity space. Why not concentrate on the more important beings in this world: animals! I hate that animal charities barely get a mention, yet we are encouraged to give money to digusting human beings.

Living on easy street

Jimmy,

I do agree with your point in principle. Of course, giving direct is the best way as you know every penny is going where you want it to. My point really is that many people are unable to do so and therefore £1 to comic relief is better than giving nothing at all. I think we have to accept that there are very real costs involved with organising something on the scale of CR and an amount to cover those costs will always be deducted.
I've seen CR in action in Africa and they really do do good work. They are a charity worth supporting!
2nd Apr 07 09:04

Jimmy Wyld

to living on easy street>>>>>>

I'm sorry that you cannot understand that you are in essence agreeing with the point I am making.

of COURSE giving DIRECTLY to charity, is much much more fullfilling, and I believe better than giving instead to a big corperate company, where you you have no idea if the money is being spent on food for poor, or champagne for shareholders.

I NEVER see any money spent on any good causes (except those on TV) I mean does anyone really? all around me I see poverty and depravation but where does all this money go???All our charitable notions are sucked up by this 1 yearly campagn. the effect that this has on truely needy charities, is incalcuable.
1st Apr 07 12:04

chad

My school does comic relief I think your right, all the money should go to comic relief people are just to greedy to give. A man came up to me this morning and ask me for 50p to get on the bus to get home. I said no sorry I don't have any money, knowing full well I had a 50p to spare. I felt so ashamed.

Living on easy street

As I said in my earlier post, I shall give to CR as I always do. I also think that if you can give direct then that is much better. When I was in Africa I befreinded a Head Teacher at a nursery school. I got to know him very well and upon leaving I gave him £100 toward the costs of running the school. I wasn't prepared for his reaction. He cried and said he would be forever grateful for my help. This set me off too , but it proved to be the most rewarding experience of my life. He went on to tell me about how there was no government funding for schools and that his school, that he set up himself, was run entirely on charitable donations. All this was revealed AFTER I gave him the money. To me this was a true sign of his integrity.
Since being home I have raised as much as I can for the 'Kotakalu Nursery School' through boot fairs etc. Doing something to help has given me so much. I regularly receive letters from the children at the school and when I last visited I was treated like royalty on my arrival (although this was highly embarrassing for me). Giving direct is a chance that not many people get. I am not a wealthy person but I feel like the richest person alive when I look at the photos and read the letters.
I would urge everybody to give a little and trust that money does get through, or better still, go to Africa and form a bond with somebody so you can give direct. The main point being, these people don't ask to be born where they are, they don't ask their governments to neglect them, they do deserve and need our help. Think about that for a few minutes. THEN GIVE

trillian

I spent some time online trying to find financial data on comic relief and could not. Like most charities / fundraisers they are not forthcoming with where the money goes and how. I am always slightly suspicious of the big high-profile charity fund-raisers because this type of adverstising is so expensive. I suppose on balance it is a good thing because it prompts some people to give who would not otherwise but for the more savy donors I'm sure there are more efficient ways of donating and with more accountability and transparency.

SteveK

I do not normally give to Comic Relief, but this year a mates son is doing a sponsored silence for the cause so I am donating a few quid through him.
I do give readily to some charities that are ( or seem to be ) volunteer driven; or have helped someone close to me. The Lifeboats and Salvation Army are two of these.
I am not blind to the fact that charities do incur costs but I tend to shy away from those that run nightly TV campaigns and full page spreads in newspapers.

Living on Easy Street

Go to Africa and you will see the good work that comic relief is doing. I'm nobody special, just your average Joe really, but what I've seen there is incredible. Go there and I guarantee it will change your life. It did mine. I think it is fashionable to bash charities like this and everybody is jumping on the bandwagon to do so.
No matter what your business there are unavoidable costs. That is where some of the money goes. If the charity does not pay the cost then it cannot function at all and nobody gets any help, let alone 70% of your donation.
Join in and send in your donation on the night. I know I will!

edd

You can be certain, somebody is getting a BIG wallet out of this charity. I say charity should be run by VOLUNTEERS, not GREEDY Bast**ds.

Matt

I don't have a problem Comic Relief as such and I don't mind on occasion giving money to charities. I can even put up with the endless nonsense in the media up to a point. It's the celebrities that really get on my nerves. They all cash in on this kind of thing to get their two minutes of fame. Absolutely disgusting. Just give the money to the kids I say.