A TV licence to watch BBC1 online - ridiculous!

Who in their right mind would want to buy a TV licence to watch BBC1 online.  It's not exactly value for money these days is it and there are far too many repeats with only a few good programmes.  What is the TV licence fee these days anyway - must be around £15 a month?  I don't know obviously because I don't have one and I don't own a TV.  "Don't forget - to watch TV online as it is being broadcast, you still need a TV Licence."  That's the message displayed on the BBC1 home page.  Well don't worry about that folks, because just as I can't be bothered to buy a TV to watch The Beeb on a goggle box, I also can't be bothered to "tune in" online either.

You still need a TV licence to watch BBC1 online!

Now get this, according to TV licensing watching TV online streamed over the Internet is as good as watching a live broadcast, hence they DEMAND that you buy a TV licence just as you would have to to watch a television.  Well my gripe is quite simple.  It's NOT as good as watching a television and although it's definitely watchable, the image quality and frame rate are in no way comparable.  Watch BBC1 Online The broadcast is also significantly delayed enough in my opinion to not be classed as LIVE television. Add to this the fact that not all programmes are available for legal reasons and you've got a pretty much second rate service there so how can they justify the requirement of a TV licence to watch BBC1 online?  I think that's a bit cheeky.

I know most people have a TV licence (if you believe the statistics), but I just think that it's a bit petty of The Beeb to demand a TV licence be bought to view their online content.  What's the next step - a PC tax?  Besides, how can they possibly enforce this and how will they know that you're illegally watching television on your PC?  You don't need a TV tuner card for this and you can easily clear your browsing history.  I'm curious to know what people think about this.  Does anyone care?  Is this watching TV online the beginning of the end of the somewhat outdated television licence?

By: Not watching the BBC

Dave

well all tvs are delayed by at least a few seconds, for example a football match could be delayed by up to 10 seconds on ITV HD. therefore it's not a valid argument to say BBC online is not 'live' because of the delay. But technically this is a piece of law that is almost impossible to enforce. If you watch BBC online without a license, who's gonna know it? unless the tv licensing people come to your house and catch you right when you are watching it online.

Graham the Rabbit

The BBC:

Perhaps one reason for the TV Licence it is a Government National Data Base and it gives the State extra enforcement powers of snooping?.

One fails to see why we should pay for the bloated BBC bureaucracy. Look at the recent scandal of the CEO being paid £500,000 and for what? During the 1950 and 1960's the BBC was perhaps giving a national service but those days are gone. We now have a vast amount of media systems to use almost to the point of saturation.

What is annoying is that we are subsiding the bloated BBC pension scheme when many are having their pension schemes wound down.

Their bloated news service is one of the worst; you see the same news all through the day...1pm/.6pm/10pm/ News night, not to mention the slot at about 8pm and their hourly broadcasts. Most, if not all of it, is just a rehash by different people.

Much of it just hype. Eg when their political commentator stands out side Downing Street. Does anyone actually come and say anything to them? He could be speaking from the top of Blackpool Tower. How much does this cost? All it does is give an impression of pseudo reality. If you turn down the sound and just watch the visual footage during the news, it usually tells you nothing. Pictures of buildings or
politicians who are getting in and out of cars. Admittedly, these are standard media techniques, but other channels don't charge.

So often the news is about trivia most of which has no bearing on our lives. They have a slot to fill and they have to fill with it something, and if there is no news they ask their own questions and make their own news. Look how many people the BBC had the Olympics and over 120 at a Glastonbury festival!

Or when David Cameron went to Canada and BBC team went. All they showed was Mr Cameron watching TV and diving into a pool. How much did it cost to send Nick Robinson there with a film team.? (The whole news system could be slimmed down and many of these overpaid people given the push.) Flights/hotel bills ect. Channel four does quite a good job of the news.

The BBC should be broken up and sold off as an outdated state monopoly. There is a book by Robin Aitken, an ex BBC employee.> "Can we trust you the BBC?" Then there is bias and other issues.

alvin

Equipe52, operating under the name,
Team 365, 80 London Trading Estate,
Roding Road, Becton, London E6 6LS.
Equipe52, Ltd. Office address,
C/o. London Registrars, Plc.
4th floor,
Haines House,
21 John Street,
London WC1N 2BP
I understand the above companies are responsible for the delivery of the mail sent out by TV Licensing. I obtained the information from a letter sent out by an employee of TV Licensing and by checking information on the internet. I don’t have a television. It’s not worth the license fee, there is too much rubbish on whatever channel is selected. The objects still send me their love letters each month; I have refused to reply because of the vile and implied threats contained within them.
22nd May 11 06:05

mike3003

An umpteenth letter has arrived:-

"Dear Sir/Madam,

As you have not responded to our letters yet, you have left us no alternative but to proceed with the final stages of our investigation.

Our Enforcement Officer has been scheduled to visit (POSTCODE) to find out if TV is being watched or recorded illegally. The Officer may visit your property any day of the week, morning or evening.

The information below explains the proceedure. You may refer to it during a visit from the Enforcement Officer.

Yours faithfully etc."

I do love these letters and have been receiving them for years, they never include a prepaid envelope to reply or even a free phone number so I bin them. Besides there is no point in replying to tell them I don't have a TV as they may visit anyway to confirm the fact which seems to cancel the need to reply. YAAAAWN

BigJohn

I will help spread the word Dazza. Thats whats wrong with our country, we need to have more say.
23rd Sep 10 05:09

Dazza1040

I am up for doing something about it now. If the whole country will join forces then we can make a change. I mean would you miss bbc. I doubt it. We just all need a date when we all cancel our tv licence. Surley they cant take the whole country to court. Come on join forces.
23rd Sep 10 04:09

AngryLicenceHolder

What annoys me is that after moving into my flat two weeks ago and straight away buying a licence to watch colour TV so that I can watch BBC online and perhaps buy a television set I now receive a red-lined threatening letter from TVLicensing.co.uk telling me that (1) I do not have a licence (although they have confirmed that I have by email and on their website, (2) I have received many letters from them (this is the first), (3) that I have not replied to any of these letters. The flat has in fact been empty for many months, so there was no need for a licence. I bought a licence online before evening watching TV. Now they are threatening to come into my flat, i.e. my home/castle, to inspect it and to interview me "under caution", as though I am a common criminal. They then threaten to fine me £1,000.
OK, mister, just try it.
Make may day...

the subject

I concur with the above comments,Britans Biggest Con is totalitarian.Whats more i've just found out that,they're also exempt from the freedom of information act .which is outrageous as well! There should be large demonstrations every time some harrased person is prosecuted by this extort,but such happenings seem to be of low key.The bbc are truly legalistic thieves.

arrawn

The BBC should send out coded data like Sky only watchable by people with a specific decoder,then you would not be able to watch it for free,which I doubt would worry many people of course the BBC would soon go broke which would also not be a problem as far as I'm concerned'.

blowjob

dont forget twots, that BBC is funded by the TV license.
so if no one pays for it, the programme will be forced into liquidation, and then online viewing will also not be operating.
bellens.

Nip

yup I don't pay t.v license and just watch catch up online. They should just pull there finger out and sell some advertising instead leeching off us

grumpyoldwoman

Julie, the other channels don't fund themselves, the advertisers do!
21st Apr 10 05:04

Julie

We need to get the TV licence stopped for good. Why was freeview invented??? to view for free!!! It is only the BBC that get the licence fee, and quite frankly there are better channels to watch.
Why arnt the BBC funding them sleves the same as all the other channels.
Its daylight robbery and needs to be stopped!!
21st Apr 10 05:04

grumpy

you can use a pc to watch pre recorded tv but not live thats when you pay for a tv licence

Chris Manders

I don't have license free - Modern broadcasting is (in my opion) simply not work the £142.50p or so that they demand (and yet, they demand it - In threatening letters through my door, once a month). What I have in stead is something far more valuable - A life.

Chansey

here's some stuff you may not know. Not only do you need a TV licence for a TV you also need one if you own any of the following:-

a) A Video recorder
b) A DVD recorder
c) A computer with broadband internet access
d) A MOBILE PHONE

the first 2 because you can record TV programs, the third and fourth I found when I looked on the TV licensing site to check what happens after 2012 when they turn of the analog signal, since I don't have satellite,cable or freeview and my TV, video, DVD and gamecube don't have built in decoders, I thought I wont need a licence (fat chance, I've got a computer with broadband and a mobile phone).

I can only assume it's because you can watch TV programs on-line (wherever you do or not is irreverent, you got a computer with broadband you need a licence)

As for the fourth one it may have something to do with the modern mobiles having TVs in them or something, all I know is I would love to watch some official try and watch a TV program on my mobile (Motorola c350, as used by Noah on the arc)

x

TV Licensing tend to talk a load of sloblock most of the time. They have difficulty accepting the idea that some people don't have a TV. Unsurprisingly, they also have problems with the ideas of "innocent until proven guilty" and "beyond reasonable doubt".

Juan C9rlos

Are you the real Tessa jowell? Have you had to pay any money back. Does Gordon Brown have a shrine to stalin hidden in number 10

tessa jowell

A legal loophole highlighted by the communications regulator Ofcom means that viewers can watch television and listen to radio over the internet and mobile devices free.

Angelo

> You don't need a TV tuner card for this and you can easily clear your browsing history.

When you receive content from BBC their server knows which IP address it sends data to. With the co-operation of your ISP it is easier to find you than having to come to your address and check if you have a PC.

Gainsborough lad.

If you can get away with it fair play to you, most of this cash is only going on over-paid presenters, if they never had had one in the first place and they tried to bring one in now they would stand no chance at all. (I have always had one)

Just Say No!

I will not be paying for a licence to watch TV online. It is just not going to happen. They have a better chance of knitting fog than they have squeezing money from me for their scabby licence.

In fact, they can come around to my house, drag me into the street and shoot me before they retrieve monies from me.

T

A Tv licence iis unlawlful when the bbc is being funded by europe when it is supposed to be unbiast...See tpuc.org for the truth...
2nd Jun 09 06:06

Television Licence Fees too mu

My gripe is that the cost of a television is too much. I dont' know of any other country in the world that charges people to watch their television. Our television licence fee is £140 approximately a year. They must be rolling in money as the majority of households watch TV in the UK. Not content with robbing us with taxes that pay for MPs lavish lifestyles we get hammered for taxes in numerous other ways: income tax; council tax; car tax; inheritance tax etc etc. No wonder the average British person is poor. We spend our lives paying money to our government and they are not using it wisely by all accounts.

thom

Some time ago I had a TV that was just for DVDs and xbox. I told the licensing people. They sent someone round who had a quick look, saw that the tv was the other side of the room to the aerial socket, and left. That was that. Never heard from them again.

Also, a thought occurs to me. It's no defense to say you don't watch BBC, just the other channels, as the TV license is a license to receive all TV broadcasts. Surely watching online doesn't technically fall into this category. So, either
1. BBC have re-written the law and the license is now needed for internet streaming, all internet streaming including google, youtube etc, or
2. the TV license covers all TV broadcast plus any BBC online content, which seems to go against the idea of the TV license and makes it a BBC license, or
3. they're just lying.

NickyB

Thanks Joe, just seen this. Will have a go. Also, I've heard you can watch archive stuff at channel 4.

Joe

Hi ( I dont have a TV got rid of it several years ago),but I do watch the BBC iplayer, and you do not need a license as it is not shown live!

NickyB

I use my TV just to watch DVDs as I can't actually get a signal where I live. Someone from the licensing dept. came round and insisted I still needed a licence. I said that if he could get a signal, I'd be more than happy to pay...until then I won't. I'll let you know how it goes.

miserablemoaninggit

I don't think they charge for paying monthly? My main gripe with the BBC is the sycophantic reporting of those parasites who occupy Buckingham Palace and all those other residences in the UK. Prince William and Harry are viewed like some sort of heroes, when they are anything but. Also, the yearly reporting of Royal Ascot is another of my gripes - those 2 pratty presenters they have who are delighted to tell us that a bottle of Champagne costs £200 at the show, just before I have to leave for work and earn not a great deal more than the minimum wage. The BBC is out-of-touch with ordinary folk and it is time the licence fee was abolished.

New Lamps for Old

Got my TV licence demand. They want £5 more on top just for privilege of paying them by Direct Debit quartely over the next year. Greed. Extra Greed.

They have raised the price too, just to overpay a bunch of Merchant Bankers they employ as so-called presenters.

What with all the repeats they run. What with all the sales abroad of TV programmes. Our TV in this country should be Scot-free: bye bye Kirsty Wark.

Mark

No, it's no joke. You need a TV licence to Watch bbc1 online with your computer via the Internet. The BBC online services are actually quite good although not broadcast quality obviously. BBC1 hasn't been broadcasting online forthat long.

Baby blue

Since when do you need a TV licence to watch BBC1 online. Is this for real or an early April Fool joke?

Open the Skies

It seems to me if you try to use the Usenet download service for TV programmes you are having to pay money over to a group of very nasty pirates for the privilege. The whole issue is fraught with crooks and sheer crookery.

The BBC has thrown to the lions by its greed.

bored of private car drivers

If we have a licence, and I support it, then the medium of transmission is irrelevant. They made and broadcast a programme using traditional transmission, digitial terrestrial tv and then tcp/ip over the internet. Does the method of transmission change the content or the cost of running a broadcast network? Indeed it costs more to broadcast on all 3 platforms. Your logic is so flawed I am staggered. As to whether the licence fee is a good way to fund public service broadcasting, please make a different arguement. [Too many repeats.. bah humbug.. if it wasn't for Sky+ I'd miss everything..]

The enlightner

Usenet=TV on demand. It's the only way to go. You can download practically any TV show you want to watch, plus any film, music, radio show, software application, book, e-book, whatever... Forget TV licences, forget peer to peer (P2P). Go educate yourselves about Usenet otherwise known as newsgroups.

pen the Skies for Broadcasts

I have paid for my TV licence which presumably makes me a member of the BBC club. Oh but Oh No the BBC is not democratic club, where I can vote the top Johnny or Jane out. Not even the staunchest most conservative golf club operates that way.

I hate the BBC iPlayer. I hate DRM. I hate the BBC's lawyers who have advised the BBC to be utterly conservative on copyright.

I hate the DRM time out.

And why did the BBC have to sell their sould to Real Audio and Adobe Flash Player, and not have open media like MP4 or MP3, or avi.
3rd Dec 08 06:12

MissusHilly

I don't think there should be a TV licence anymore, as there are loads of other non BBC channels to watch which are just as good if not better. I'd rather they just did adverts like the other channels.Get rid of the licence!!
3rd Dec 08 04:12

Jim

I didn't know you could watch BBC1 online now. I'm presuming that hasn't got anything to do with their iPlayer, I'm I correct in thinking that's for catching up only and in that instance you don't need a television licence?
3rd Dec 08 11:12

What conspiracy?

No this would be irrational. If the BBC needs to charge for viewing its internet content it should be on a pay per view basis. It cannot expect the internet to come under the public service broadcast umbrella. What we need to be alert to is politicians or BBC Governors saying the internet is just that. The internet is not a public service.
I would argue the internet was developed by a person with the specific intention of his giving it away for free. The Telecoms networks have been largely privatised with cable, fibre optic and local loop broadband technology being installed after privatisation. The government don't own the telecoms industry and they don't own www. software so they, and The BBC, can go swivel!

But government is waking up to the idea that it can lose elections by not having control of the net. The concern is that powerful interests will want to take control of the internet for themselves. They will do it persistently and it's a question of whether ordinary people "give in." China's government has done deals with Yahoo, Google etc, to block servers and therefore certain sites to Chinese citizens. It must be a matter of time before some Western governments attempt to do the same?
2nd Dec 08 11:12

Jarl van Lund Oy

If I live on Lundy Island do I have to buy a TV licence to watch yesterday's Lundy TV? Puffin Express? Puffin Billy? Puffin News? Murder on the Lundy Island Express?
2nd Dec 08 10:12

MERCENARY

The BBC are having a laugh asking people to buy a licence to watch on-line. They should be like the rest of the channels and be self funding as all we ever see on the BBC is CRAP!
As for all the fatcats in high paying jobs who are frightened to make decisions on certain subjects..eg..Jonathon Ross should have been sacked from his radio showand TV chat show for Gross Misconduct. I know any other employee working for any company would have been.
They should all be sacked>>>>>
2nd Dec 08 06:12