Why I don't trust the police

I'm going to outline some reasons why I don't trust the police and why I believe they are ineffective.  I have never been in trouble with the police until recently and I am in general a law abiding person.  But when I came to university however, the police were suddenly very much involved with my life - and not for the good.

My first encounter involved me being beaten about the head several times by a guy who was kicking off because he had split up with his girl friend.  I called the police who arrived long after it was all over.  They failed report the incident properly and didn't find the guy, even though it was a Friday night and there ideally ought to have been a police presence in the city centre.

Then a few months later I was extremely drunk on a night out and was arrested for 'public nuisance'.  I was also FALSELY accused of hitting someone - wrong place, wrong time I think!  During my night in the cells I admit that I was being loud, banging on the cell door etc. and generally making a fool out of myself (I was very drunk).  That did not excuse what happened next.  The officers had obviously decided they wanted to shut me up.  They barged into my cell and wrestled me to the floor banging my head on the way, putting my left arm so far up my back they dislocated my shoulder.  He then slapped my head and told me to shut up.

I was left in shock and fearing I they would come in again and I didn't sleep all night.  The next day after I got out and lodged a complaint and asked for custody reports.  On here the police had changed several details about the events that took place stating I was aggressive and had 'lashed out' when they tried to give me a blanket (which they never did).

As my complaint progressed I became aware I was getting a lot of parking tickets, while cars on the same road were not getting any.  It seemed I was seeing police everywhere.  Then my car was broken into by someone who did not take anything just smashed the window and left the car stereo which they could have easily taken.  The car was then towed as the police said they could not find me to tell me it had been broken into, another 110 to get it out.  I had the window repaired the next day and while it was being done a police officer called who was not the one handling the case.  He asked about the state of the car and I told him it had been repaired.

A police jacket That night at 6.30pm the car was broken into again, nothing taken of course and the car was parked right outside my house!  What criminal would do the same car twice and risk doing it a 6.30 in the evening!?  I called the police who turned up 15 minutes later. No one was caught.  By this time I suspected the police but continued with my claim anyway.  A week later the police turned up at my door and I thought they may have found the criminals who broke into my car.  But no, they told me I was under arrest for burglary!

I have never EVER had anything to do with something like that.  They said my DNA (taken as due to my caution) had been found at the scene of a theft of some SWEETS from a cafe.  Yes they kept me in a cell for 4 hours to question me over the theft of some confectionery.  Guess who was the custody sergeant while I was being held? The guy I was lodging the complaint against and again I was somewhat nervous as I sat there for four hours.

After this experience I dropped my complaint deciding it was not worth all the hassle.  My last encounter with the police has just reinforced my feelings about them.  I was at home revising for an exam on a Saturday night.  My house mates had gone to the pub and left the front door open.  Next I know a random guy walks into my room!  He was obviously looking for valuables left by unsuspecting students.  When I challenged him he mumbled some excuse and ran out the door.  Again I called the police who turned up THIRTY MINUTES LATER and of course caught no one.

I don't want be my own personal bobby.  I would just like the police to act with some semblance of professionalism and actually catch some real thieves instead of intimidating me.  The lack of professionalism and bullying tactics I have seen being used by police makes me worry every time I hear they are being given more powers.  Powers such as taking DNA samples without our permission, or to make an arrest when they SUSPECT a terrorist.

Before we have a choice in the matter, they are being given even more powers to "fight crime".  We should remember who we are giving these powers to - not only the good natured trustworthy police, but also the bad cops who may use these powers to intimidate innocent members of the public.

By: Peter

Bulldog

And thanks to a certain Mr I Khan I secured compensation ! Ohhh I didn't need the money but they learnt a good lesson from me I've got deep pockets and bigger & better lawyers then the CPS !

Bulldog

Samson (Delilah's too busy to post) - 26-Aug-14 13:31 Hi buddy , well I don't like the police because 1 .they tried fitting me up just because they didn't like the colour of my skin ! It's cost me my health & £££ in lawyers fees - only to prove them wrong from a simple piece of CCTV that I had requested from the start ! Hey and guess what there was no crime on the day - just some malicious officer making up lies ! Thanks to God for CCTV ... And the CPS another bunch of twats ... Don't complain to the IPCC they employ police officers to review cases "CROOKS "

Samson (Delilah's too busy to post)

I'm afraid that would be the unattainable utopia Boblet. I don't think any of us want the lowlifes flourishing. I believe that the first step in this is communication. If the general public inform the police and make a nuisance of themselves when doing it, they will have no option but to deal with things. At the moment it seems that the police fob people off too easily. It isn't until they see that people are determined to make them do their job or be accountable for not doing so that anything happens. That in itself is a disgrace but I do understand that their numbers are becoming more limited whilst their workload is increasing. They are having to prioritise matters. It just seems at times that their priorities are not atuned to those of the population they serve. We don't give a toss about speeding fines etc. We want society's scumbags dealt with so we feel safe on a daily basis. If only the Police could understand that rooting these people out and dealing with them would half all of the rest of their work! Still, like I said, that's Utopia and probably isn't a realistic expectation in the 21st century.

boblet

I do not think you can ensure or guarantee anything S&D I am just living in hope for a scenario where honest folk can flourish. You can film or photograph an honest person me or you anytime. In such a scenario the corrupt shrivel & disappear. A paedo used to run the Parks & Gardens department in the city that I come from. The school staff & parks police must have known & yet nothing was done to warn the kids. It will come out one day I am sure. I am also sure that they are still about, I just do not want them flourishing.

Samson (Delilah's too busy to post)

Yes but those coppers that retire/move on will be replaced. How do you ensure that the new breed are any better than the old (not that I personally think they're too bad on the whole). If you inject one new person into an existing group they will adopt the ways of that group in order to fit in, regardless of the environment/job etc. Body cameras etc. will help but as I've said before, if you look at the gripes on here, how many of them would have been averted by a camera? They'll work for the police more than against them. That is why the police federation are accepting of them. I don't know what the answer is myself. I kinda think that the police and the public both have to move their positions a bit to meet on a more common ground. whatever happens this current situation cannot continue.

boblet

People in positions of power have guided this country down a contaminated road for awhile now. People with power only gather people around them who are unlikely to expose him/her. A paedophile thus attracts paedophiles. A bent copper attracts bent coppers. Muslim zealots attract Muslim zealots. Clever, sly people are an exception to this rule they tend to employ idiots, thus strengthening their own positions. A certain Mr Flowers will speak volumes for the Church & the Banks. The phone camera has exposed much, but too quickly. It will take awhile for the good, honest but passive folk, of our Great Britain to re-establish themselves in an honest society. Most coppers will slowly retire or move on, it is happening already. Let us hope the other areas I have mentioned self cleanse too.

Samson (Delilah's too busy to post)

Bulldog, just a quick question, and not one that is intended to inflame, what is behind your intense dislike of the police? I know a couple of them and the general viewpoint is that people generally dislike them either because a), they have something to hide or b) have not received the service from the police that they expected to (even if what they wanted actually wasn't a police matter). I'm just interested.

Bulldog

True scale of police corruption claims revealed: Almost 100 officers a year are suspended over misconduct allegations 460 police officers suspended for alleged corruption since the start of 2009 Offences include lying about suspects and stealing drugs from police stores Scotland Yard suspended the most officers with 119 under investigation Figures came to light via Freedom of Information requests to 46 police forces Findings prove it's not just 'a few rotten apples', says MP Authorities vow to crack down on the scourge of police corruption ITS A CLEAR EXAMPLE OF THEIR CRIMINAL WAYS .......AND NOW ITS THE POLICE THAT NEED TO WATCH THEIR BACKS -CROOKS !

collar

Whether they are stuck on a computer, policing in the industrial estate, today's po po behave like automated factory units and then set in motion by a clown. What a way to do policing! Half the western world can only hazard a guess at how law enforcers used to end disputes on the pub circuit. You would be right not to like how it's done now. Seems arrests are irrelevant, just so long as the fines look profitable, the arrests rate doesn't matter! A bit like having private security, but hey at least I've got an intact leg to walk on! The expression "there is always a bad apple in the punnet'' was invented decades ago, but here we are still making the same excuses for the peelers.
23rd Aug 14 05:08

Bulldog

Caught-camera-Police-officers-filmed-trying-catch-speeders-unmarked-car-despite-rules-saying-cameras-clearly-visible..... WHEN ARE WE GONNA STAND UP TO THIS ? DAVID YOUR OUT NEXT & TAKE YOUR CRIMINAL TOFFS WITH YOU !
22nd Aug 14 02:08

Bulldog

Five police officers accused of gross misconduct after 'changing their stories over death of suspect during drug search' The officers will face gross misconduct charges but not criminal charges Mr Ullah, 39, died after police forced him to the ground in High Wycombe Officers alleged that he had drugs in his mouth before he collapsed An inquest into his death was abandoned in 2011 after discrepancies emerged in police statements The IPCC confirms that police officers could be sacked !!!!! SICK AND TIRED OF THESE PIGS , MORE ACTION TO BE TAKEN AGAINST THESE CRIMINALS AND OPEN THE PRISION DOOR TO A CAT !

Samson (Delilah's too busy to post)

Background checks have been in place for the police for more years than I care to remember. Like in any profession they are far from foolproof. Body cameras are coming in now and they are being backed by the police federation. Their view is that they will secure more convictions than they will prove the legitimacy of complaints. For the criminal fraternity the cameras are the worst thing that can happen to them. They will gather indisputable evidence against offenders so their slimy defence barristers cannot manipulate the facts. Personally I think they will be a massive benefit to the police but little help to the public. If you look at the type of complaints against police and bad conduct by the police that have been listed in this and other gripes, little of it would be prevented by the use of cameras. It is a shame that a small percentage of officers are corrupted by the uniform but I don't think you can ever totally eradicate their type from the job. I'm sure they don't go in there with that intention. It is something that happens over time. Their behaviour is inexcusable and they need to be removed from their jobs and prosecuted. The biggest barrier to this is the failure of honest police to report dodgy colleagues. there is a stigma to doing so as it cannot be done anonymously. Once you've reported a colleague and it becomes common knowledge nobody will then work with you as they fear that you will report them should they make even an honest mistake. It's a real dilema!