Useless toilets on trains - doors don't lock properly

Yes, I know that things have improved since the 1960s when you had to go to the loo and there was a big hole in the floor and you could see the railway track wizzing by underneath but still...  I'm not keen on those train toilets with the sliding doors.  It's all very well that they're roomy enough to accommodate a wheelchair and have all the mod cons (soap and hot water?), but they're not exactly user friendly are they?

To begin with, you get inside and push the button to close the door.  And then there's another button to lock it.  This is quite confusing if you're used to the old toilet doors that you would lock in the normal way.  Half the time, people forget the 'lock' button and then are surprised when the door opens agonisingly slowly and you are in full view of the general public - not very dignified!

Also, what's going on with the toilet paper?  If you are lucky to find any and it's not in a soggy pile on the toilet floor, it's all stuffed into a tiny box and you almost lose your fingers trying to prise any paper out.  Then more stress when you realise the flush button is BEHIND the toilet seat.  What a rubbish design!

A train going fast Who wants to actually touch the toilet seat, which is quite often disgusting in the first place and requires several layers of tissue before it can be approached safely?

Trying to get out of these toilets discreetly...

The best bit of course is trying to get out of these toilets discreetly.  While the train is moving and you're swaying drunkenly around the bathroom, you eventually spot the button that will open the door.  Don't you just miss old fashioned door handles, even if they are covered in germs?  Again, there's the s-l-o-w opening of the door, and a group of people staring at you as you shift your bag on your shoulder and pretend you're not actually coming out of a loo.

Travelling by train - nothing like it!

By: Nicky B

Biscuitbum

Biscuitbum

I do hate people who use these forums to make nasty spiteful comments. If you are bored with a thread, just go elsewhere.
Biscuitbum

NickyB

NickyB

to s.b.w.y.
Quote; 'Spinning out of control now, desperately trying to find someone to react?

Trying to revive old threads?'

Why don't you try writing a gripe rather than stupid little posts. It actually takes some thought and a fairly reasonable level of grammar and punctuation to write more than just 3 or 4 sentences.

I find it interesting that the people who criticize other people's gripes just don't have the intelligence to write something interesting themselves. you know who you are.
NickyB
22nd Aug 10 12:08

Railway Children Pooh

Railway Children Pooh

In the goode olde dayes the turds used to drop through a hole in the bottom of the wagon to be chopped up by the carriage's wheels before being sprayed on the sides of the tracks. Have you ever wondered why there is always such a thick undergrowth next to railway lines?

Think of Winnie the Pooh Pooh Bear, and Thomas the Tank Engine & Friends steaming their stinking way through your local railway station. Ever wondered why they did not permit you to go when the train as standing at a station?

For god's sake don't eat the garbage grub found on trains: you may need to go several times before you reach your destination.

Always take a small bottle of Dettol with you wherever you go.
Railway Children Pooh

jj

jj

better to drop yer guts before you get on the train! most trains that i've been on have had REALLY smelly toilets!
jj

s.b.w.y

s.b.w.y

Spinning out of control now, desperately trying to find someone to react?

Trying to revive old threads?

A bit sad really.

Maybe it’s time to drag your knuckles along the pavement and get back to your bridge to get some sleep.
s.b.w.y

F***k Me!

F***k Me!

Next time, try taking a dump before you leave home...
F***k Me!

NickyB

NickyB

Oh come on, Tickle and A.N.Other - you don't take me seriously, do you? Just exaggerating a bit to make the gripe a bit more entertaining. Why don't you write one of your own? It's fun.
NickyB
21st Dec 09 07:12

grumppyoldwoman

grumppyoldwoman

Why do they bother making toilet roll two ply?
It"s an utter waste of paper.
They should simply make it twice as thick instead.
grumppyoldwoman
22nd Sep 09 10:09

Tess Tickle

Tess Tickle

It's not useless toilets... it's useless passengers, unable to read the sign above the button that says "lock".
Tess Tickle

A. N. Other

A. N. Other

Passengers not locking the doors? Yet again more bloody ignorance!

And complaining about the sliding door toilets -- well they're there to comply with the Disability Discrimination Act, so meant for disabled passengers. Walk to another carriage in the train and you'll find a normal (albeit perhaps cramped) toilet with a traditional door and lock. Just even more ignorance!
A. N. Other

Bad Times

Bad Times

If you are travelling Inter-city on which you have paid a fortune, you expect the loos to be far higher than category D.

On a trip King's X to Edinburgh, the loos were even category E.
Bad Times

grumpyoldwoman

grumpyoldwoman

Just to set the record straight, this is not me below! Someone else has "borrowed" my name.
grumpyoldwoman

Grumpyoldwoman

Grumpyoldwoman

I have just watched panorama which I recorded from last night. It was about Alcohol abuse in oldham on friday and saturday nights.The programme makers made out that there was something wrong with young people having a good time.Sod the Liberal/Fascist ponces at the beeb, Let the younguns enjoy themselves, thats what I say.
Grumpyoldwoman

K.E

K.E

I can understand people's gripes about dirty toilets on South West trains but having no toilets at all is unforgivable. I was recently on a severly delade train to Reading, having drunk over a litre of water due to the heat and overcrowding of this service. I made my way to the nearest toilet having to passed through a sea of commutors. Having found this one was locked I made my way in to the next carriage where this too was out of order. 2 and a half hours I was stuck on this train unable to get of, as we were between stations. The driver made his way down the train to see to a fault, I politely asked if there were any working toilets on board he replied "how am I supposed to know, we are leaving soon anyway" 15 mintues later we arrived at the next station.
I was made to suffer one of the most undignified train journies I could imagine. I pay a lot of money to travel with South West trains and surley this includes the use of a toilet. A simple human right. Appaling.
K.E
3rd Jul 09 12:07

Tim

Tim

It's the same on the coach, it's moving at the same time. You just have to live with it
Tim