Unable to skip anti-piracy adverts on DVD

I don't know if this annoys anyone else, but when I buy a DVD I don't want to spend five minutes watching the anti-piracy advert or the film trailers and the company logos, some go on for ages and it won't let you skip them or fast forward.

You wouldn't steal a car would you?

At least with VHS video tapes you could fast forward through all this rubbish.  When I buy a DVD, I buy it to watch the film I bought, not a load of annoying stuff that I am not remotely interested in.

Fair enough I suppose if you must stick an anti-piracy message at the beginning, but please let us skip past it once we have seen it a few dozen times!  The people who HAVE copied versions of the film probably won't see this message anyway.  Those of us who are honest enough to go out and BUY the DVD are FORCED to watch messages about not copying films every time we want to watch a movie!

Unable to skip anti-piracy adverts message is clearly going out to the wrong audience

What's the point in making the majority of honest people suffer because the message is clearly going out to the wrong audience!

In fact, I've been told that many times "you wouldn't steal a car"..."you wouldn't steal a TV", that I find my self yelling at the TV "Yes I BLOODY WOULD!", just because I'm fed up with those darn smarmy adverts!

Aaaaarrrrgh!!!!

By: Monty & Smiffynotts

Petra

Not sure what went wrong there.

It should have read, experiences of Netflix and Cinema Paradiso

Petra

I had a DVD rental contract with Lovefilm which I was happy with for years but they were taken over by Amazon and now the rental interface on the Amazon site is a mess. Movies are not available to reserve much in advance and the titles you can reserve are not in date order on your list. It’s a messy confused interface and Amazon seems to just want to get you to buy DVDs from them rather than provide the DVD rental service that you are paying for.

There used to be Screen Select, Lovefilm, Blockbuster and many other rental companies but now the only real alternative is Cinema Paradiso. I might try Netflix but my connection is not always that reliable and I really want a dvd rental service as well as being able to stream movies.

I would be interested in posters experiences of cand Cinema Paradiso.

ted

spot on - the non skippable adverts and copyright on dvd's has stopped me buying so many - and the adverts in the cinema stopped me going years ago. Why pay high prices for what could be a rubbish film and have to sit thru bloody adverts?!?
It all certainly led me to download sites.

Schmal

Just visited the local Odeon to watch Promethius and had to sit through a staggering 30 minutes of adverts for rubbish beer, mobile phones, junk food, sweets, rubbish films that no-one in their right mind would want to go and watch - Abraham Lincoln vampire slayer - give me a break............

Won't be going again and will be laughing my ass off next time I hear the industry whining about their profits waning. If you produce shit, then you can expect to reap what you sow...

I also noticed the "premier seats" extending into what would usually be regarded as the normal seating rows and the whole experience has become a shameless tatty stealth raid on my wallet just like a Ryan Air flight....

Sell more quality product for less money with no hidden time wasting, not rocket science is it??

HollywoodShopAssistant, I wish

I'd so love to be a shop assistant in an LA department store when a movie exec brings an item he or she wants to buy to my checkout. I'd harangue them for 9 minutes over the background of loud hard rock music screaming at them that it is wrong to steal, even though they are standing in front of me waiting to pay.
22nd May 12 06:05

BalmainMan

Saying "you wouldn't steal a car" misses the point. Stealing a car leaves the owner without it. But I would take a photograph. Taking a photograph or making a copy of something does not leave the owner without it. I'm not saying I agree with making rip-off movies or music, just that the copyright owners' ads are based on a wrong analogy.
22nd May 12 06:05

tim

I find this is a particular problem when the disc is slightly scratched or dirty. Each time a film stops, you are then forced to watch the warning again.

This is particularly true of rentals

david119

I totally agree with all the negative comments. I find the ads overbearing,bossy and intrusive and counter productive, because it discourages me from buying a legal copy. It is especially annoying when you have bought a TV series and are subjected to the advert for every episode.

If anyone happens to travel to Germany, you can usually buy the DVD with an English soundtrack for less without the nagging prelude.

My non tech solution is this: put the DVD in your player with your TV switched off, wait for a few minutes until the DVD plays, press DVD menu and then switch the TV on.

a****enoyd

I agree entirely and will only buy pirate copies from now on so the advert has had the opposite effect. I BOUGHT the damn thing and have to suffer the proselytising but if you buy pirate you don't.

Boblet

Just in from the Blue Boar. Right on Mr P we are on the same hymn sheet.
21st Feb 11 12:02

Boblet

Mr Perkins Is that the young man next to the Asian guy selling Chinese tools of similar quality? I know the one. The excitment of waiting weeks sometimes to see the end of a movie is great isn't it? & the money you save, I bought a pair of thicker glass's & a hearing aide with mine.

Mr Perkins

I avoid this problem by only buying films from this lovely young man I know down the market, his films have no adverts or piracy warnings whatsoever, he even prints the covers for them himself, why only 2 days ago he sold me The Mechanic, True Grit, Yogi Bear, The Kings Speech, The Fighter and a copy of the film Mandingos Cock Puppets volume 2 for the sum of £5 the lot, hes great a lot of the time his films arent even available at the shops or the cinema well done to him, my Grandchildren were over the moon with Yogi Bear and after I watched the Mandingo film my wrist was aching for all the next day, its nice in this day and age bargains can still be found.

fatwoul

Couldn't agree more. I suggest you do what I do: every time you're forced to sit through such an ad, spend the time emailing the relevant anti-piracy organisation associated with the advert. Of course the email won't make any difference, but at least you can derive some pleasure from knowing that the company in question have had to waste time reading the email, just as you have had to waste time watching their advert.

Oli

If before this clip where you are asked to choose a language, you go to the last page there is a language there called Sqhip or something like that, it's the last option and I've found that it skips those particular "you wouldn't steal a car" messages.

honest john

I completely agree and now will buy only pirate copies that don't have the forced messages

John W.

I'm seeing this more and more. My wife just had the problem with 10 minutes of unskippable trailers on the new Sherlock Holmes movie from Netflix. When the Netflix DVD content that I rented will not play within a reasonable time (1 minute), I cut the disc in half and send it back as defective. When Netflix tries to charge me for destroying too many of their defective discs, that's when I'll walk away from their service.
23rd Sep 10 05:09

grif

at least anti piracy messages are relevant, unskippable m'n'm adverts though??

artuk

Oooarr's comments are exactly right, just make a copy and delete all the nonsense, why should a person who has spent money on an 'original' be subjected to an advert telling them not to buy a copy!!!!!, the copies don't have it.

Oooarr

Scottie next time just do the rip before you watch the film. You know, the copy you keep for your collection before you give it back? Just edit all the rubbish out first when you burn a copy.
22nd Sep 09 07:09

Scottie

I have been with Netflix for years and recently you have to watch 5 minutes of movie previews that you cannot fast forward. It didn't use to be this way. Now I put the dvd in 10 minutes before I turn my TV on to avoid watching that junk. I called Netflix and they say they don't make there dvd's and have no control over this. ..I'm just wondering whats next. Forced previews in the middle and end of the movie. Or worse throughout the movie just like TV that is free. Well not no more without digital equipment you cant get free TV anymore. Soon rented movies are going to have commercials. Lame... I DVR all tv and hate how the volume goes up for Oxyclean.
22nd Sep 09 12:09

Hunn

HMMMMM please send me any infromation about piracy in the media or the history of piracy to jackhunn1@hotmail.co.uk

Clint Westwood

I'm hacked off at having to sit through a load of ads at the beginning of DVD movies I buy. They don't let you select MENU and so, on some, you have to wait for 5-10 minutes of trailers before you can watch the film you've paid for! I really object to having no choice in this and it's made me wary of buying any more. When you buy a music CD you're not forced to listen to a load of ads first so why are DVDs stuffed full of promo material that just gets in the way each time you want to watch the flippin' film!? I suspect there's a way around this....

X82

I completely agree, and here's my own rant about stupid DVDs...

Tallulah

I have a Futurama box set that is a good example of this. If it gets to the end of an episode, it doesn't go back to the menu, it goes through the copyright text bit for every country imaginable. The worst bit? Once it starts, you can't get out of it, not by skipping, not by pressing the menu button.

BornAgainBiker

I agree entirely, can we not hack the software somehow, by key entries?

Knock off Nigel

If you cant beat em, join em ... there is loads of software out there, you can use to pirate .. oops, I mean backup your own DVDs and a lot of it gives you the option to remove unwanted junk, like the subtitles you don't use and the previews, advertising rubbish, and of course, anti piracy messages at the beginning. Don't let the 'antipiracy' protection most DVDs contain put you off either, as there is even software available to remove that... Hey presto!!! you can now watch your DVD in peace my friend :-)

Gyro

"you wouldn't steal a car..." eh? I might do...

Especially after the car had told me repeatedly that I wouldn't steal it...

pooh_bear138

I wrote to the anti piracy lot FACT on just this subject a number of weeks ago. It really annoys me for the same reason as you suggest: I bought the DVD so I don't need the lecture (which, by the way, is noisy, in your face and VERY annoying) and those who use pirate products, probably have the message stripped out anyway.
3rd May 08 06:05

Titewad

I agree, I think it is time for the Record and Film companies to reduce the prices of CDs and DVDs to a more rasonable price, then Piracy would be less of an issue. Although I am not saying it will dispense with it completely, because there will always be people who want something foe nothing, but I do believe that if the prices were reduced most reasonably minded people would not download pirated material.
DRM on discs and Software is just another excuse for the invasion of individual privecy, I think that once you have bought the material, it should be up to the purchaser how it is used. After all, it is our money that the Record, Film, and Software producers rely on to pay for their mansions and jet set lifestyles. So it is time for them to STOP treating their customers like sheep or cash cows.
Following the debarcle with Sony and the implanted spyware in it's DVDs, I have stopped buying Sony products altogether, and suggest that more pepole did the same thing. In my view it is the only way to hit back at the big companies who are trying to dominate our lives as well as the marketplace.

blacklion

Get used to it people. It's about to get worse!
DRM - or Digital Rights Management is happening and it's on the increase.
Just this week Virgin have announced that they are planning to hit people who use their internet connection for file sharing and I suspect that soon other major ISP's will follow suit, all with the intention of stopping you from copying or sharing your music or videos.
Personally I think that 'most' people are happy to pay for art but within reason.
Why the big companies don't realise this and rather than bleating about how much money they lose to piracy, why don't they create a structure so that people can buy it or download it for a fair price?
Why would someone download a compressed dodgy version of Pirates of the Carribean from some torrent which could easily contain a virus (or worse) if they could buy it or download it for a couple of quid?
3rd Apr 08 02:04

parp

quite often if you press "previous" or "fast rewind" it`ll go to the menu
3rd Apr 08 12:04

Honest Pirate?

Monty & Smiffynotts, a good gripe and one that I thoroughly endorse. Though I don't agree that a piracy message at the beginning of any DVD is acceptable, especially one that assumes that I AM about to commit piracy. I just bought the damn thing!

As you say, where the publishers' philosophy falls over is the assumption that the piracy message will be included in a subsequent copy. Of course it won't! It's the first thing to be stripped out of the DVD when it is pirated, along with all the trailer nonsense. So we're left with a situation where the only people that get it in the neck are the honest purchasers. You and I.

Now, until recently I put up with this rubbish, but my patience has finally expired. So, armed as I am with AnyDVD and CloneDVD, I rip my purchase into a format that should have been sold to me in the first place. Do I lend this new and improved copy to a family member, or a close friend? Well actually, no, I don't. Instead I let them watch the original that I bought and leave it up to them to decide whether it's worth purchasing.

(more below)

Honest Pirate?

Unsurprisingly, seven times out of ten they won't buy an original because, despite raving over the feature content, they can't stand the piracy message or the trailers! However, if I lend them an original that was produced by Paramount, and they really enjoy the film, they usually place an order for their own copy soon after. You see, Paramount shows how it should be done; no slap in the face, no trailers - just a nice film to watch!

So, what to do? Avoid Sony, Warner or Fox? Buy Paramount only? Of course not. Buy your film, rip it to bits with software mentioned in this and previous posts, burn to DVD, enjoy! OK, so it adds a needless expense in the form of blank media and, more importantly, your time. But until stupid publishers get wise and stop penalising the innocents it's the only way.

Where is all this going? It's hard to say, but the war will continue between publishers and DVD rippers until the publishers finally get sensible. Personally I find piracy messages indefensible and trailers to be intrusive. I put up with enough advertising on the TV, thanks! I also firmly believe that all the garbage included at the start of a DVD does nothing but encourage the practice of piracy. Indeed, I walk a fine line myself in deciding whether to perform the act just so my family and close friends don't have to endure the torture! Who knows, maybe if we share films and I do all the rip and burn......

Sadly, I fear that things will only degenerate further now that Sony & Co have won the HD war with Blu-Ray. Will they wake up and do some decent market research? I doubt it. They're too arrogant to understand what drives people to copy DVD's in the first place and would rather continue in shoving their philosophy down our throats. However, don't despair. Be content in the knowledge that there will always be someone who will crack whatever they invent, simply because they can't stand this insulting behavior either!

Titewad

Thanks for the tip Bluebeard, I will try it and let you know how I get on later. Happy Copying :-)

Pip

Yeess! I hate it when I press the Fast Forward button and a little "No" symbol appears on the screen, a circle with a line through it. What?! How dare a mere machine refuse me!

Buccaneer

e should asking ourselves why do we pirate DVDs and the like. Why do we have to? The actual copying costs for a DVD cannot be more than a £1. So why are they selling DVDs for £15.99 or more? Answer Greed, pure and sheer capitalist greed.

The copyright laws give the owners of a copyright far too long a right over their work. Copyright should in all propriety last no more than 15 years like a patent. We should not have to wait till they die and 50 more years, or for 70 years after publication, and such like rules.

And why are we paying £8.98 for a DVD of Brief Encounter, a film made 50 years before DVDs were invented?

There should be a national database where we can download all books, magazines, films, pictures, whatever for free 20 years after their issue or publication. It will come.

We are all grossly overpaying at the present.

Titewad

Bluebeard, "DVD decrypter" is no longer available form their Website, because they were either bought out, of forced to close down by the Hollywood studios'.
"DVD De-Crypter" was a great DVD ripper programme, which when used in conjunction with "DVD Shrink" could copy and fit movies ont any normal DVD; use them both to Backup DVD collections to safeguard a movie collection.
By ripping and re-authoring DVDs with these two progs, it is possible to cut out the annoying stuff on DVDs.
"DVD Shrink" is still available as a free download fron cnet.co/downloads but "DVD decrypter" is not

Bluebeard

Get hold of software to convert your DVD into XVID format.

Perrate the disk using DVD Decryptor
Encode to XVID using Auto Gordian Knot
Write 3 to 4 movies quality recording to a single DVD-RW disk

Buy yourself a DVD player which can playback DIVX.

Stuff the legal notices. They have nought to do with the pirate's code anyway

Freddie

Excellent tip Ant. I think I'll try that next time myself.

Ant

There's a cheeky way to skip these anti-piracy ads. When you asked to choose which language you want simply select some obscure Eastern language. The anti-piracy ad then won't run and the language selection seems to have no effect on the main movie.

Philsey

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks these are really annoying. It's the only thing which would tempt me to buy pirate copies as I'm sure they don't have these messages at the front!

Old grouch

I agree. It seems to be okay for the DVD maker to steal your time everytime you watch !!

Phil

The enemy has a name: "User Operation Prohibition". This article describes what it is, and how to get rid of it:

Titewad

There is a lot to be said for good old Video tape, at least you could fast forward through this Sh*t then set the tape counter to zero so that each time after it would rewind to the begining of the actual film, missing the rubbish anti-piracy warnings.
Are DVDs and CDs an improvement on tape?? I am not so sure; both DVDs and CDs have a nasty habit of jumping and freezing as well as having the FBI warnings ( why we get FBI warning in the UK beats me?) and trailers that cannot be skipped. It is no wonder that piracy is a problem for the record and film producers, people just get fed up with this stuff and are prepared to buy pirated copies just so that they don't need to look at that rubbish at the begining of films.
Film Producers have no regard for their customers at all, in fact they have nothing but contempt for them in my opinion. They haven't realised that their customers are fed up with being treated worse than sheep and are either not buying their wares, or buying cheaper pirated copies.

Ali B

Take them back to wherever you got them from and get your money back, tell them that there was loads of rubbish that you couldn't skip through so you couldn't watch your movie. It of course needs more than the odd one or two people doing this, but eventually it'll hit the movie companies where it hurts - in the pockets. They need to realise that its the customer that keeps them in business and treating your customers like criminals (you've probably heard of the RIAA suing their customers in the US unfairly) isn't going to fly.

Imagine putting the latest Disney film on for your kids and trying to explain to them that they can't watch the movie just yet because of the movie companies decision to force you to watch anti-piracy crud. If you absolutely have to have a film and don't want to return it, rip it on your computer and burn just the movie to a new DVD, there are tools out there to do that.