Royal Mail - recorded delivery goods damaged

On Friday 8th of December 2006 I started the day as many others.  I picked up the mail on the mat, made a cup of tea before going outdoors for the day.  I came home about 4pm to find a package left outside my front door, on top of some rubbish waiting to be dumped at the local tip.

The parcel contained an Apple Ipod Nano that I had purchased on eBay for my fianc?e as a Christmas present!  The Jiffy bag was soaking wet, as were the contents.  I called Royal Mail to complain and was told that I could claim ?32 compensation, if I could prove the postage!

I was also told that it was the senders fault for not insuring it properly.  They then said that with first, second or even recorded delivery, the actual delivery was not GUARENTEED.  I could not believe what I was hearing.  Recorded delivery ? not guaranteed?

I explained that had the item been damaged or lost that would have been the senders fault, but considering that an employee of Royal Mail had just dumped it outside my door this was a different matter and quite unacceptable.

Yet again they refused to compensate me for the full loss!  I am now left with the cost of buying a new Ipod Nano at ?124, with only ?32 back from Royal Mail!  I spoke to the seller, who was very helpful indeed.  She then told me that was why she had sent it recorded delivery.  First I knew of this, as the delivery person had somehow torn off the recorded delivery label from the package!

I called Royal Mail and asked for proof of delivery.  They advised me that they could not track the item until it had been delivered.  Great, so now I am waiting for them to try and prove my signature which I know will be either missing or fake.  I certainly didn?t sign for the package.

A box full of packing material, packaging If the delivery person tries to forge the signature it is fraud and if they do not get a signature it should surely be classed as tampering with the mail?  Be aware, Recorded Delivery from Royal Mail only means you have asked them to get a signature for the item ? in other words no guarantee it will arrive in one piece.

It appears that their service is fine until you encounter a problem! They are supposed to pop a card through your door and return the item to the sorting office for either collection or re-delivery!

What are you up to Royal Mail? Is this how you treat a customer after you negligently damage their property by just leaving it outside in the rain?  I am totally disgusted and would advise using other couriers in future!

By: Westcliff on sea, Essex

Flat rates

I can't see the rason why we have different prices for first class mail and 2nd class mail. The prices and delivery rate aren't dissimilar. Let's have a flat rate for mail deleivery no matter what.

courier1

in the last 6 months ive recorded and taken evidence of 19 letters that had the corners peeled off all thse letters contained cards not one card came untampered and not one ordinary letter came tampered. clearly someone was looking inside. royal mail stated and I qoute

'''' we recieve many complaints like yours where cards/letters have been torn on the corner. I would recommend that royal mail organise tours to see our sorting equiptment as this equiptment actually damages the letters through the sorting process''

really? build a new machine maybe? or as an alternative stop hiring monkies with no morals!

gaga

dont pailnt all postman with the smae brush, its a failure of one person not a buisness !!!
23rd Jan 12 09:01

ebayahabitimtryingtokick

I have received several parcels via Royal Mail sent Recorded Delivery which have had their labels removed and been delivered as `normal` post. On a couple of them they only removed the front label not the return address label so you could see it should have been Recorded.
I use online couriers now, much cheaper and better compensation, not always good at collecting on time though

chris

I had a package sent to me to be signed for on delivery. It didnt turn up so I checked the tracking number and proof of delivery signature and they said it had been delivered so I checked the signature and it was an old signature from a different date. so they have knowingly falsified the post

Paul

Royal mail have delivered at least two Recorded Delivery items to me in the past month without obtaining my signature. In one case they just put the parcel through the door in the second they just left it on the doorstep. The Royal Mail are a joke, Recorded Delivery is worthless and the sooner they are privatised the better.

sami

they forged my signiture as well and for this reason I lost my passport!!!!!
2nd Mar 11 02:03

simone

ive just bought an ipod nano but it hasnt arrived yet :/

Carol

I have to say Bil that it would surely only be someone who worked for RM who would try to defend them as their service in reality is atrocious. I think with the increase in post due to internet shopping RM are unable to cope. Instead of employing more people they just make the same amount of employees cope resulting in lack of care due to a shortage of time and and an excess of stress. As for using Special Delivery, this service costs more than most people can afford. I have provided proof of the cost of the service I used but they have still refused to honour their obligation.

Carol

Ive just had similar experience. I sent 2 parcels, 1 recorded delivery and 1 first class and they delivered them both smashed. They were well protected, or at least against normal handling. Royal Mail must actually try to break them Im convinced. I put in a claim form for each and as you say, we are told that we can claim up to £32 for damage. Ive received the reply to one of the claims today and they have rejected it and sent me a book of 6 x stamps. Im furious!! Each item has cost me £14+ and Im expecting the same reply to the other one. I will not be sending anything breakable from now on with Royal Mail.

Bil

recorded delivery isn't insured, there is £41 compensation as standard with it though, for non-valuable items.
It is the senders fault for not sending it via the appropriate method (which would be special delivery), that would then guarantee it for the next working day by 1pm, and have £500 insurance as standard. I very much doubt that the postman would tear off the recorded delivery label, as the sender would have a proof of postage that stated that the package was sent recorded delivery, if the postman did indeed do it, it would be grounds for a dismissal.
I know the people at Royal Mail can sometimes be d1ckheads but it aint so bad.
I work part time in a post office when i'm not at school so I get the odd bollocking from customers even though we have nothing to do with the delivery of mail.

Richie

I bought an Ebay Item which didnt get delivered. I then sent a stroppy letter to RM saying the phone was legally mine, they had lost it (Tracking stopped at one of their depo's) and I want full reimbursment for the cost of the mobile phone they had lost. They tried to cope out saying they wanted the reciept (If I didnt reply in 10 days, they would consider the matter closed). I sent another letter with a copy of the recipt I gained from the Ebay purchasee. I have just had my claim rejected with the comment - Next time I want to claim, I need to include the original reciept used to post the item. Just also found out, the maximum they will pay is £50.

3steps2heaven

I do quite a lot of shopping on eBay etc and the Royal Mail are generally okay - however today I received a parcel that I thought had been sent recorded delivery(it has the stickers on it) - and it was just through the letter box. When I entered the code on their website, I discovered that the postman had forged my signature and stuck the parcel through the letterbox. Whilst I can see that this could be useful (I leave the house at 7am for work and don't get back until 7pm) - as it would save me a trip to the PO, it is also very unhelpful; how long is it before the signature is forged and the parcel goes missing?
22nd Nov 10 10:11

kevin

I sent a recorded delivery after Royal Mail said I can send a fake coin back to the fraudster ebay seller who said it was genuine etc. I sent it back, & Royal Mail lost it!
Now they are blaming me for daring to pay extra for 1st class post & for a signature on delivery & the Royal Mail are also saying that I cannot send anything of value!
I asked Royal; mail on the phone & said what can be sent, but they did not know, yet they expect the public to know the rules that are not on prominent display at the post office!

Royal Mail are a joke!
Why have a postal service that misleads customers & then blames the customers for doing exactly as advised to do?
Bit like a police officer saying divert down a one way street the wrong way & then arresting you for their mistake!

TERRA

I am truly scared now ive just bought a PSP with loads of games. more than 10 in infact so I asked what she sent the psp by and she said 1st class recorded delivery Im really worried

Hope I get compensated

Just had a similar experience with Parcelforce, found out a package of mine had tracking so it may not be lost in the post - tracking shows they delivered my item to the wrong address in my tenament block. They tried several times, though I was oblivious because they either posted the slip to the wrong address/put it somewhere in the stairwell where ANYONE could take it. Now someone in my tenament has signed off my package and had it for 2 weeks, and has not lifted a finger to get it returned. Why did the driver not take it back to the depot again and return to sender? They said the driver couldn't remember as he does 100-130 drops a day.. You mean, he can't remember, where he had to make a risky decision, probably riskier than when he's on the road. PSSSHHH.

D J Steward

I ahve had the same problem Recorded items left unsigned for and damaged.

Royal Mial no interested as I have to prove they are at fault.

Recorded delivary service is a complete waste of money. Royal mail sell it as a way to incress profits. Its that simple.

ginge

royal mail what a joke they r,last week I posted something and used specail dev,they told me it would b there b 4 1 o clock the next day,so when I foned the company to see if they had got my specail dev,i was told they havent had anything from me,so I used track and sec,and guess what it just says the same thing day after day,so they dont know where it is,it as causd me alot of stress I dont need,had manger om fone and he said it takes 2 weeks to get me money back that I posted,which 2 me is rubbish ,so im takein them 2 court I want compo,they sell u a grateened next day sevice,which is a load of crap,once ive took them to court I will never use royal mail again,if I was u dont use royal mail they r rubish
3rd Mar 10 01:03

brat42

For goodness sake, grow up.

1. Recorded delivery is the same as 1st class and 2nd class standard post only it requires a signiture.
2. The seller should have sent it by Special Delivery which is insured up to £500
3. High value gifts like ipods should never be sent Recorded delivery.
4. As things sent by Recorded should be of low value, would you rather go to the depot and pick some little thing up from the depot or just have it put it on the doorstep?
5. Ipods are covered in plastic, not cardboard so it couldn't have been damaged.

Grow up.

Real

As far as I am aware, goods that are sent Recorded Delivery have a higher compensation value than those sent by regular postage (max £40). Technically speaking, you should have immediately returned this package in the state you received it to the vendor on eBay. It is THEIR responsibility to ensure that your goods arrive safe and sound and sorry to say this but (as a seller on Amazon myself) it is THEIR problem if your goods are damaged in transit. eBay has very strict delivery and returns procedures for its sellers and you may also be covered by PayPal if you used them to pay. You should immediately return the goods as packaged and as found and make it the sellers problem to organise compensation for themselves. Meantime they should simply refund you immediately or if they are a store, replace the item you bought. Check with credit card company whether you are covered for this type of problem and check with PayPal, but essentially the worst thing you did in this case is make it into your responsibility - a neg buyer feedback for poor packaging and dreadful delivery will kickstart any ethical eBay seller into action. Personally I stopped using them after being defrauded on two out of two purchases. I thoroughly recommend other online ordering, especially from big stores or specialist sellers, don't be put off buying online, I buy most of my stuff online but NEVER eBay. As for Royal Mail, well ... don't get me started. Sorry :(
21st Dec 09 10:12

Cat

I've had a similar issue except they delivered my parcel, carrying expensive photographic equipment from China, to the wrong address! That happened last month (only found out a few days ago as I work away from home for a month at a time and was meant to go to my parents house) and there's still no sign of my parcel... In this situation, I think privitisation can only be a good thing!

willymcnilly

So ture roymail are a totally useless I oredered some stuff off amazon a few days ago which apparently arrived this morning (my neighbor saw the postman leave a package at my door) but when I returned home from work the package had been stolen and royal mail accept no liability as they claim it was delivered! I urge everyone in the UK to use oither courier services so we can all get rid of these bunch of thieves who are massively funded by our taxes for in my experience the worst mail service in the country

Jon

Can sympathise. We returned a package the seller had sent the wrong item. We sent it recorded delivery. The seller says they haven't rec'd the package, Royal Mail say they delivered it. They have an indecipherable signature but no printed name. No-one wants to pay us any compensation for anything and we are left out of pocket to the tune of the cost of the item and the cost of the (worthless) recorded delivery!
1st Dec 09 05:12

chris

I have been waiting for a recorded delivery worth over £100 pounds for nearly 2 weeks now the company I brought the item from have gave me the tracking number but all it says on the royal fail site when I type it in is come back later am gettin very stresses over the matter now

Mr. RM Sutton (SM1 Royal Mail)

Oh yea an old thought, but, my local police farce give up Smart Water kits free of charge (they will try not to arrest you!)

The Sender could mark packages and especially items inside the package WITH Smart Water, The dye would stay on them forever! The receiver of such an item (probably a thief) would have a lot to answer for in the event they get caught with such a marked up item.

Anyone who actually aims to make money on ebay should be printing address labels out to be honest, or at least print on paper, cut it out and sticky tape it to envelope, and while they are at it, the Smart Water Image is also printed, Next to the door number.
2nd Sep 09 07:09

Mr. RM Sutton (SM1 Royal Mail)

I know it's the recession and all, but one is doing themselves out of a job by stealing from their customers and offering a bad service.

I know the police wouldn't do anything, they are just as corrupt as most MPs and Borough Councilors! Complaints don't do any use. I've stuck up CCTV now, just to see what actually goes on outside my door. I had it up years ago when I first moved in, nothing ever happened so moved the computer from the kitchen and put it to other uses. Wish I had kept it there now! :)

Funnily enough the item I was ordering was a higher-resolution small digital web/camera so I could record funny things that appear to happen in front of my eyes here and there, without people knowing i'm filming 24/7 while I travel out and about, especially jobs worths! Oh what a contradiction! :) Some people actually do their job too properly! (NOT) Now i'll be ordering another by the looks of things!
2nd Sep 09 07:09

Mr. RM Sutton (SM1 Royal Mail)

Here again, I opened a PayPal dispute and got my item eventually, at cost to the seller, and over a month later, BUT! I asked him to send it to my Granddads Address, since his is a Wardened Address, and guess what, it was sent to the wrong address probably the same door number but on a different road! and not signed for! luckily to an honest person who promptly gave it back to Royal Mail, who then asked my granddad to sign for it for the first time the very next day!

The Managers up in Royal Mail must have shares in other private companies or something, apparently there's huge demand to be a Postman, all Royal Mail has to do is change their policies, regain the trust of the public, pay out less in claims, then earn more money in more items being delivered via them! That does also mean firing posties when they tamper with our mail and or leave confidential items/purchases on doorsteps! NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!! I thought tampering with mail was a criminal offence! I've spoken to a few Posties in other areas recently and they seem honest decent people and gave me good advice over this, but in the Sutton Surrey area, there are a few of them who flab about outside the pub nearest to the Depot, opposite Subway, next to Morrison's. With their pushbikes sprawled all over the place, and with their delivery bags bulging, full of what I wonder? Mail which is supposed to be delivered BEFORE being intoxicated (not to mention cycling while under), and preferably before 4pm! My local Collections office told me a postman would NEVER deliver the mail AFTER 4pm! What a joke!
2nd Sep 09 07:09

Chroma100

I was away last week for two days. Came back to find a Recorded Delivery letter that had been put through the letterbox. When I asked Royal Mail who had signed for the letter they blatantly told me 'the postman'! If Royal Mail are taking it upon themselves to sign Recorded Delivery letters for us in our absence, then the security that the service promises is a sham. I received another a few months ago, through the letterbox with no signature asked for at all. The orange peel off/sign label was intact. Does anyone know legal rights for forged signature in this case?
31st Aug 09 05:08

Me

Been waiting for an item to arrive fo the past week an half. Finally contacted the seller who tracked it and and had an electronic signature as proof of delivery.

Looked it up on Royal Mail's website - it's just a scrawl,and not from me! I suspect the postie has just nicked it. Another package I am waiting for also hasn't shown up, but as that was only sent 1st class, there is no signature, fake or otherwise.
So I am down one brand new phone (which I am loathe to claim back fro the seller using Paypal as it is not her fault, and she has "proof" of delivery, so I'll probably lose the claim).

TheWalrus

Royal Mail recorded delivery seems to be getting worse. My employers sent me a tax document but it never arrived, so they sent it again using recorded delivery. I was out so had a red card put through my door. But when I went down to the sorting office 3 days later, they couldn't find my letter - it was showing on the system as 'still out'. 2.5 weeks have now passed and no-one - not the sorting office nor the 'customer service' call centre - can tell me where it is, and no-one seems in a hurry to find out - three promises to call me back have all gone unmet. The call centre couldn't even confirm for me who the sender was. The documents contain my full name and address, NI number, date of birth, and how much I earned last year. I don't want these documents falling into the wrong hands. A few days ago, I ordered an item from a company and they sent it recorded delivery. It was delivered - but the postman just handed it over without bothering to get my signature - according to their system it's still undelivered. So no wonder so many items go missing when the postpeople are so cavalier about following procedure.

sunny

I know this is 3 years old, but you realise that it was the sellers fault for not sending a high value item via special delivery or through parcelforce, as this would have insured it properly, and you were well within your rights to claim your money back through paypal by opening up a dispute with the seller through ebay, if only id read this sooner and let you know then you woulda been in the clear, hopefully you googled it and figured this out yourself though

Mr. RM Sutton (SM1 Royal Mail)

Poundland Padlock + Lamppost + Postman's bike = he can walk back to base, I don't care!

Royal Mail is disgusting, I came home at 4 pm, nothing was outside my door, I could not sleep that night so went to shops at 6am, and what did I find outside on the pavement right outside my property, the envelope, addressed to me, with the senders post code on the back, and funny how the red recorded delivery sticker was missing, envelope completely empty of contents which cost £25. My Sender does not know how to claim so I did all the phone calling around to find out he needs to fill out a form called P58. Heaven knows if I will actually get what I ordered. Never heard of Special Delivery. What's that? The Local Special School doing the job better than an adult can?
1st Aug 09 07:08

Steve

Posties do this quite often. Hell this post woman that delivered our mail the other day just stuck the recorded delivery through the door. She didn't even tear off the strip they're supposed to tear off so even she hasn't got a record that it's been delivered as well as no signature for it.

I could quite easily claim a lost package.

DISGUSTINGLY FEDUP

i sold an item on ebay .the buyer did not recieve it .i complained to RM.they told me to wait as items can (arrive any time up to a couple of weeks ) from its collection date I did this and wrote back.THEY THEN ASKED FOR PROOF OF POSTING PROOF OFF EBAY AND PAypal I sent all this to RM So far I have sent three letters to two different customerservice advisors they have now sent another letter from a third customer advisor asking me to send what I sent the second advisor messing me about or what . DOES ONE HAND KNOW WHAT OTHER IS DOING

Tony (London)

I cannot agree more with your comments, I send a lot of items and am getting more and more complaints that the items have not arrived, I send everything by recorded mail but when I check on the Track and Trace it tells me that the item HAS been delivered but they do not have the Signature as proof of delivery.
Like yourself I am now looking at other means of delivery.

Kate

Recorded delivery isn't insured for more than the basic amount. Your seller is at fault by not sending SPECIAL DELIVERY. Sorry.

VeryAngry

I sent my E BAY item 1st class recorded,with a sticker with my address details on it, it didnt arrive , no delivery - no signature!
I sent the auction page to RM along with my claim form showing how much the buyer had paid explaining to them I had to compensate the buyer almost £30- they dismissed my claim so I rang them, I had some patronising person on the phone telling not asking me I had to break down the costs of how much it cost me to make which is difficult when I buy in bulk and dont pay myself by the hour for the goods I make.
they take your money quick enough but dont pay up when they are at fault !
I thought if I sell something for £30, RM lose it when its been entrusted to them to deliver it and obtain signature, I send proof of my loss it would be straigthforward that I would be reinbursed??
Seems the answer is no !!

Gandalf

I had a Parcel delivered the other day. We were out and the Courier Company left a card, saying I have left the item in the Grey Bin outside, which was our recycling bin. Which surprise surprise was emptied that morning.
Fortunately I have the card and the sender now does believe me.

gumdam3

I'm worried at the number of people who have been through what I am currently experiencing. I need a new mobile phone for my work (urgently!). It was posted to me on Monday, 5 days ago, and I was given a tracking number for first class recorded delivery. I haven't received it yet, and like others have discovered the 'secret' 15 day rule- ie that 1 -2 days actually means 15 days before they even try to trace it. ( and a tracking number which only tracks after delivery is a bit of a non-starter isn't it?) The website simply says that they 'value all mail" and are 'sorry', but will not try to trace anything for 15 days. The company that sent it has checked, and say that it has definitely been posted - if the 15 days pass and I don't receive it they will replace with no quibble, and claim from Royal Mail themselves, and this is good news, but in the meantime my business may go down the pan! I may need to buy another phone from the high street and put the brand new carefully chosen one on ebay- not a good solution.I must also add that I live in a little village where the excellent post lady knows us all by name, is very reliable and would not just leave a card as some of you have experienced, so I'm confident this is not the issue. Come on Royal Mail, where are your standards, and your answers to this comment trail???

Me

My last post on this site 28th January 2008 criticised the post office for recorded delivery goods going astray. That same day I filled in a claim form,original receipt for the item plus other correspondence and sent it first class post by Recorded delivery to Customer services. Plymouth PL9 ***........You can guess what happened next....Nothing. Their website tracking service shows it has not been delivered yet. So if Royal Mail are unable to Deliver a Recorded first class letter to itself god help us.

Funny how junk mail always gets delivered.

Mobileless

I bought a mobile phone for my son. It was sent to his address through Royal Mail. My son lives in a 2nd-floor flat and was not in when the postman/woman delivered the phone. It was discovered that the postman/woman decided to leave the phone in its package on a ledge beside the door of my son's flat. When my son returned home there was no package on the ledge (surprise surprise). Someone who either lived in a flat in the building or someone who was visiting or someone who had business there had obviously saw the package on the ledge and decided to help themself to it. I contacted the Post Office complaining of the postie who had irresponsibly left the package on the ledge. A letter was sent to me to say that I would be compensated for £32 if I had proof of postage. My complaint that I had trusted my property to be placed into the Postal Service's hands fell on deaf ears and irresponsibility was denied although paradoxically I was given an apology. Rather than follow it up I accepted the £32 and accepted the remainder of the money spent on the phone as loss. Perhaps the worst thing about the whole situation was that it did not surprise me and in fact it is something I would almost expect from someone at fault in this day and age. Call me cynical but I prefer to be realist.
3rd Mar 09 01:03

Michael

Problem is you have been let down by an individual who is no credit to the company.
Perhaps I have been fortunate as I always get the card and have to collect the parcel.
The company attitude to your misfortune doesn't do them any favours.

sayitlikeitis

a lot of post workers write out a pile of cards in the canteen and just shove them in the doors, they leave your parcel in the back of the van 300 yards away and stick a card in as they dont think anybody will be home in any houses from 9 to 5.
I have taken a day off work before eagerly awaiting a next day parcel, which doesnt turn up, you phone the parcel company and they tell you it is at another depot 300 miles away, the next day you phone them and they have it, they tell you to be in "sometime" between 8Am and 7Pm the next day, no delivery turns up,you call again and get "ah, the driver isn't going away out there until next monday, all that way, we are waiting to gather up a pile of parcels first.
I have been almost stood behind the front door before, you hear footsteps and a clank and run through from the kitchen, see a card, open the front door and the van door closes as you start down the steps, they drive off and its another 3 days of calling the office, who phone the driver to ask where he is.
Another thing I have seen happen is that I have bought an item from the USA as a gift for a relative, got the tracking code in a "your item shipped" email, tracked it, 21 hours after the sender handed it over-"arrived in UK, cleared Customs" two days later phoned the international shipping company, had been passed to small time local parcel company, phoned them, disinterested, 12 days later delivered from 50 miles away...after paying for "3 day international expidited express shipping" the USA company had kept their part and the UK company had the attitude "Look this is not America Mate" its a foreign delivery service we just forward it when it hits the Airport.

Franky

Sometimes, being at home waiting for a recorded delivery found just the "on the while card" lying on the floor. The postman never rang my doorbell, no goods delivered.
Today things went one steep further. I've been waiting for a "Special next day deliver" (posted last 5th) since the 6th of February just to learn that it was delivered on the 7th but as I was supposedly away the postman left a card. Nor delivery not card (no postman) have been received but the goods (for which I paid a Special delivery) being returned to the sender. Privatization do really improve the service saving in delivery expenses for the Post Office...

Miss Benn

Royal Mail "Signed for" service doesn't do what it says on the tin... Signed For items aren't signed for any more. I've had many instances in the Sandy area in the past few months, and twice in the HA area (one today, one yesterday) where the post "person" just passes the "Signed For" parcel to the person who opens the door and then walks off. In the Sandy post town area, the parcels weren't even handed to someone - sometimes they are just chucked inside the door of the office, or even left outside.

If someone pays extra for a parcel to be Signed For, surely it's a breach of contract - and a severe breach of trust - if a signature isn't obtained at the destination???

I'm disgusted - I used to trust the Royal Mail 100% (well, almost, because mistakes will happen once in a while) but nowadays I am wary of sending anything of any value at all, EVEN if I send it Signed For, recorded or whatever as I can't be sure the service I've paid for will actually be honoured.

I have something I need to send to Southampton, and I'm considering driving down from Ruislip one weekend in order to deliver it myself.

Nigel

I had to post an application form and cheque to "catch" a small investment bond before the Company reduced their interest rate.
Went into my local Post Office. Told the assistant I needed the letter to be guaranteed to be delivered the next day, and wanted the letter to be signed for upon receipt. I was told 1st class recorded delivery would be the service I needed. NO mention of Special Delivery, which I NOW know about. I have been back to that Post Office, and there is NO information board up with the different delivery services they offer, so I was totally dependent on the advice of the customer assistant.
The letter was to travel the long and perilous route from London to central Cardiff!!! Three days later it has not arrived. 1. I am in danger of missing the better interest rate I had been offered IF my application got to the Bank within three days. 2. If it had arrived the next day, as it should have done, I would be earning interest from receipt (not clearance) of the cheque. It is Friday, so I have lost two days interest so far, and now will lose all over the week-end! 3. Heaven knows where the cheque is; the Post Office certainly do not. The Customer Services for the recorded delivery service told me, "We do not consider an item missing until after 15 days".
What a so called Service, both by Counter Services and their tracking/delivery service.
No wonder people are turning to couriers, and other ways of sending application forms etc.,
Must say, compared with some of the awful experiences others have had on this blog, losing passports; holidays etc.,

c

I have just missed a £500 flight because my recorded delivery passport hasn't arrived. I was told it would take a couple of days- now they are saying I should leave 5! Even 2nd class doesn't take that long!
23rd Oct 08 03:10

Jackie

Same here,

I sent a cheque for £150.00 recorded delivery on the 10th October, still hasen't arrived; never again!
22nd Oct 08 08:10

kez

I have no faith in Royal mail whatsoever anymore..I sent a Postal Order by Recorded delivery on monday 13th october...its now friday 17th ..and the recipient has phoned me to let me know she still has not received it...it is payment for a weeks break in half term..we will probably have to cancel the P.O and hopefully get our money back..wonder how long that will take? in the meantime we are out of pocket!

caz

I too am waiting for a recorded delivery letter from royal-mail that was sent 1st class and still has`nt arrived yet!! ILL hold my beathe but I might passout,!! it was sent on 1/10/08 its now 8/10/08, it was a letter from my daughter,in 3 county from me ,so she sent me a letter again 2 days after the one Iam still waiting for this time she sent It special delivery,It arrived 2days after she poted It!! still waiting for recorded letter,so I too phone royal-mail as Ive a tracking number,
guess what!! you can only track It after Its been signed for!! I said how can I sign for something that has not arrived ??and why on earth would I want to track a Item that had arrive?
someone needs a kick up the ****** at royal-mail

Mail is Junk

I live in a block of flats. 20 years ago, all the letters were put through each individual door to each flat in the building. Now they are, everyones' mail is, just dumped on the floor inside the front door to the block. Furthermore mail nowadays is delivered 4 hours later than it should be. 80% of the mail I get is junk, unasked for clutter.

This country's mail system is bust.

Jesus Christ Superstar

I would be happy to say that you are clearly and quite obviously a bully victim.

I am unsure as to why you thought it would be a good idea to buy an iPod nano for £124, (the price of a new one from an apple shop) from somewhere other than the apple shop, who would've insured it properly.

Obviously you will learn from this experience and maybe, just maybe, in future you wont be as stupid.

cursed

Also Royal Mail try to discourage people by not completely informing customers correctly after these type of incidents happen, so do your research before giving up.

cursed

I have had a similar experience. 32 letters to Royal Mail further, they compensated in full. But could have cause me hartfailure!

Pan

The postal service to my building is nothing short of criminal. Signed for letters are never in fact signed for - the last time I confronted our carrier about this he said "If I had to ring the bell for every signed for letter, my job would take forever." !!!! It's an added irony considering I choose this expensive option myself to ensure against the pilfering and damage occuring at sorting offices to post I have sent myself!
Packages are routinely left on the mat in the public corridor in my flats, and occasionally entire packs of post done up in rubber bands are dumped by the lifts - especially around busy periods like Christmas. (Presumably if our carrier had to deliver everyone's post personally at this time, his job would "take forever....."
I once rang the post office to ask about delivery conditions having seen a carrier with mountains of LOOSE post in the boot of his car. I was told that it was legal for carriers to use their own vehicles (so that their jobs would not "take forever" ! - but I can't believe this covers the idea of loose post in someone's grubby boot. No wonder I don't receive half my post!

My advice to anyone readomng this - COMPLAIN! Complain, complain, complain! Perhap if the Royal Mail had the volume of complaints they should over bthis sort of thing, they'd be forced to address it and take a long hard look at the integrity of their service and its employees. You can do this by going to their website - but you will probably need to follow this up with the post office watchdog - also given on the website - as their procedure for dealing with complaints is laughable - a form email saying that the complaint has been noted and dealt with. Ha! I await with interest the outcome of the complaint I have just lodged with the watchdog.

Aidan

I had a similar experience with Parcel Force Special delivery, a tracked service. The seller told me on the phone that he had a record of my parcel arriving at a time when I was out of the house. I returned home to find a £300 amplifier sitting in my porch, in full view with a forged signature on the tracking page online. Fortunately all was working but a complaint to Parcelforce concerning what is clearly fraud was never addressed by them. I gave up, I have better things to do with my life.
2nd May 08 01:05

Bazooka Moe

You would think with all the bad press RM get they would make an effort to improve and impress! Personally I have had to complain about our Lazy postie on two occasions so far as he keeps dumping the mail for the entire block of 14 flats down in the main foyer, there's only three floors and we've even got a lift!! I certainly wouldn't hesitate in your case of dragging them through the small claims court for their inept attitude. Take a look at the consumer action group website for some template letters and advice from other people who have taken them to court for similar crap service.

laughing gravy

it is the sellers responsibility, she should have known that special delivery is a must when the item is more than £32. she needs to pay you back

Ano

My last post on this site 28th January 2008 criticised the post office for recorded delivery goods going astray. That same day I filled in a claim form,original receipt for the item plus other correspondence and sent it first class post by Recorded delivery to Customer services. Plymouth PL9 7YB. You can guess what happened next.... Nothing. Their website tracking service shows it has not been delivered yet. So if Royal Mail are unable to Deliver a Recorded first class letter to itself god help us.

Funny how junk mail always gets delivered.

Anon

The sooner they privatise the royal mail the better. 2 months ago I sent a letter by recorded delivery... It took ten days to arrive. 2 weeks ago I sent a parcel by recorded delivery and it has still not arrived. I am a private individual not a firm so exactly what is going on at the Royal Mail and where are all these missing parcels going!

Does anyone care, Royal mail certainly does not.

gremlins3

I have had 2 consecutive recorded delivery letters go astray, having sent them via recorded delivery on the advice of Consumer Direct no less (it was a compensation claim). The letters were sent to different addresses for the same company.

Having reported the first one "lost" on 23rd Nov, it was not until 4th Jan that I received any form of acknowledgement from Royal Mail and then only to say I should have sent them the original recorded delivery slip, not a photocopy (somehow I was a bit reluctant to trust it to the post!) Their letter gave me a deadline of 5 working days to respond which, after the length of time they had taken, is an insult. Two of the working days were taken up by their own letter reaching me! I have since complained to a manager by phone but have yet to have a response as far as the "lost" letters are concerned. Even the compensation / complaints system is dysfunctional.

Given that Consumer Direct, a Government organisation, are officially advising people to send important letters by recorded delivery, maybe it would be a useful approach for people to get in touch with them and highlight the extent of the problems with this service - it may apply a bit more pressure.

Royal Male

I'm currently suing RM for damaging my car when 'delivering' a parcel.
After going out for 3 hours in August 2007 I returned home to find a card on the floor saying there was a package by the garage. I went out to find a box dropped between my car & the house wall & garage door (I park very tight to the wall & garage door). The parcel was on its end on the floor and leading up to it were LOTS of fresh scratches right across the bonnet of my car.
The paintwork on my car cost £3000 for a respray, and as the scratches were through the full thickness of the lacquer then the bonnet needs a respray at a cost of £370.
I immediately called RM customer services where a very disinterested & bored sounding lad stated I needed to get some quotes and put a claim in.
So I got the quotes and put the claim in, only to receive a letter back saying 'sorry, It wasn't us because our delivery driver says he didn't do it.' They even had the cheek to suggest that other delivery companies deliver in the area, so may not have been them..... even though the driver had put a RM card through the door and it had been posted first class through RM by Amazon!
A letter to them stating that if this was not resolvexd then I would have to take action through the court system resulted in a second letter saying the same, so I filed with the small claims court.
I'm awaiting the trial date of 11th March 2008.
Currently the expensive sports car sits under its cover unused and awaiting sale. I can't sell it until this is resolved so it just sits there depreciating with its MOT & road tax running out. The loan I took out to buy the car is costing me £280 a month, which I was hoping to pay off before Christmas by selling the car.
This has been a VERY stressful and expensive 5 months. Thank you Royal Mail..... Not!

wodin7

A decent organisation would have responded to my Official Complaint by now. I understand the expected standard is to respond within 14 days. Guess what; they haven't. I can't be botehred to follow it up any more. If the Royal Mail want ot save money as they FACE PRIVATISATION, they ought to make redundant all the van drivers who "deliver the parcels" and give those little cards to the postie on the bike. They can then deliver them like normal mail and we can collect our parcels from the Sorting Office. At least then every body will know where they stand and nobody needs to sneak around putting the cards through the letter box and legging it before the house holder can get to the door.

In response to the earlier commentator, is there much choice for the private individual as an alternative method of delivery? I buy off of private individuals at Amazon etc. and they are limited to sending stuff through Royal Mail.

Maybe Watchdog would be interested.

Cimmeria

My postman is just lazy I have received mail where he has just put it through the letter box and not bothered to get the signature this is for a `signed for` delivery. What do we pay the recorded delivery charge for if they just put the post thought the door like normal mail?

Snoop

I'm glad to find that other people have been having problems with Royal Mail. They advertise their services as guaranteed. What exactly does that mean. As we all know it's really quite expensive to send anything via Royal Mail especially when using their Next Day 1pm service. I recently had cause to use this option when sending an expensive piece of photography through the mail. My customer paid extra for insurance - just as well really. Royal Mail lost the parcel which finally turned up 14 days later (1 day off being able to claim) and it was knackered. I rang customer services and the very nice polite lady told me that their service wasn't very good and that I should start a claim as Royal Mail would pay without any investigation into what happened.

That one is still being looked into and as we speak my customer has a knackered lens which I cannot replace.

I have also used the same service for another electrical item which was again guaranteed for delivery before 1pm on 02/01/08. Needless to say its now missing.

Has anyone emailed Royal Mail to complain or ask any questions? Don't bother - still no reply from emails sent in November 2007. Their telephone service is also s**t. 30 minutes and no one answers.

Screw Royal Mail I'm off to someone else and would strongly recommend that everyone else does the same. Maybe WatchDog would be interested?????
2nd Jan 08 04:01

Wodin7

My official complaint went in yesterday. At the same time I collected the three small parcels they were holding for me. Had the elastic bands been taken off, thereby separating them, each would have fitted through the letter box. Are they all lazy w******s or is it just where I live? Oh I forgot, as soon as they have finished the round they can go home. This, apparently is what they went on strike for recently because their management want to get them to do other work when they have finsihed their deliveries. Wise up; this is the 21st century and modern business practices are going to happen whether you like it or not as the monopoly is broken up. I cannot see the public giving support to any organisation with a 1970's militant mind set.

PC Not

The Royal Mail couldn’t care what the customer thinks. It is quite laughable that in the Royal mail offices there is a notice that states - they will not stand for staff being abused. But it doesn’t matter if the Royal Mail abuses the customer, which they do on a regular basis. You can complain but it will fall on deaf ears they are not interested because they know they will be allowed to get away with it every time.

My recent experience at the hands of the Royal Mail:

I had two recorded sign for items put though the letterbox, I traced them on the Royal Mail Web site and the postman had forged the signatures. I took this evidence to the Manager of the local Royal Mail Office. He made me feel that I was the guilty party by his attitude, which was appalling.

When I said that the postman had forged my signature he decided to look in his book to see if I had given the postman permission to sign for me. When I pointed out to him if I had given the postman permission why would I complain about the forgeries, but he still kept looking at the book until he had finished and then said no it isn’t there.

He said I will have a word with the postman concerned. I said I hope you are going to have more than a word, by forging my name he has committed a criminal offence he made no comment but his facial features said it all and apart from saying if you wish to take the complaint further and he handed me the extremely waste of time Customer Relations telephone number and a sarcastic ‘have a nice day, Sir’.

Wodin7

Recently I had problems with the Royal Mail dropping a card throught the door without ringing the bell or knocking stating that the parcel they were trying to deliver was too big for the letterbox. Both my wife and myself were in and the doorbell was checked and found to be working. I work throught the hours the collection offcie is open so my wife usually walks down to collect these. The distance is not that far, but it is inconvenient. On the more recent card I wrote the comment, "We were in but your operative couldn't be bothered to ring the door bell,"
that being my method of making an infomal complaint. Today we received another of these cards on which was written, "Rang doorbell repeatedly. Knocked until my fingers bled. No reply." Can anyone beat that for customer service? Official complaint going in tomorrow.

S

I had a similar problem except it was important documents that I had sent through the post (photocopied luckily) and when I rung up the company who I had sent them too. They had said they had never received it after sending it three weeks ago.
23rd Oct 07 10:10

oyal Mail and Government are

As well as the thieving postal workers at the Royal Mail, I also blame the government who are supposed to implement policy to protect "us" the electorate aginst this discraceful organization, what makes it worse is that it is a public organization.
When are us UK citizens going to get off our asses and get the government to actually do somthing about the shi**y Royal Mail, "Royal" theres a misnomer if ever I heard one!
22nd Aug 07 11:08

If I ran the universe...

TIP: When receiving goods in the post or parcel delivery, NEVER sign without inserting the word 'Unchecked' otherwise you would have signed that the delivered item was received in undamaged condition. Besides the delivery people NEVER check your signature anyway!

BIGTONE

Well at least you recieved your I pod. Let me show you the other side of the coin.
I bought an MP3/4 player xmas for my daughter ( cost £50 ) unfortunately 4 weeks after I bought the thing it packed up, so I phoned up the supplier and was told to send it back by recorded delivery. At the post office I was told there was a £32 insurance limit on goods sent by recorded delivery ( STRANGE FOR THEM TO TELL ME THAT THOUGH I THOUGHT). That’s ok I said after all it is recorded delivery, so I paid my dues and posted it.
Three week later and I haven’t heard a thing, So I phoned the post office up only to be told that they had ' lost it '. you need to fill in a P58 claim form they said, Which I duly did explaining my loss in detail and sent it off along with the reciept. .
Three week later I received a letter saying that I was not insured for sending cash through the post.
I phoned the post office again and said "what cash are you talking about" ? it was an MP3 player I sent not cash. Ho said the man there’s been an error, it’s sort now and you will receive a cheque for £32 this week.
Three week later and still no cheque so I phoned again. "you will have to send proof" I was told...."send the reciept" , "but I cant I said ,you’ve got the reciept"."well you’ll have to write a letter of BLAH BLAH BLAH ...........Well by this time I'm about pissed off and about to hang up, and after a bit of a hoo ah I’m told that the case was going to be reopened ........ Still waiting for a penny compensation, and wondering what kind of people are the post office employing?

Ebay- Royal Mail makes more mo

To be fair if you buy an item on Ebay and pay by paypal if you then claim it hasn't arrived (whether you have recieved it or not) Paypal will refund your money on the sellers behalf whether the seller wants to refund the money or not. The only way to stop this is to send the item by recorded mail so you can prove you sent the item and if neccessary it was delivered.
Royal Mail is quite bizarre in that it requires pre-payment for a service and then can't even promoise it will provide that service and is pretty much the only viable source of that service. Plus as an added bonus us taxpayers get to pay when it makes a loss.
Royal Mail has its cake, gets to eat it and can't care a less if it loses your cake in the process and then makes you buy it a new cake if it loses its own cake.

busy

Three visits after card dropped : item not at depot and no tracking available. Last visit said would ring me at 8am Saturday no phone call. What can one do?!

Dont Get Done, Get Dom.

Hello !

I just read your blog regarding Royal Mail.

I am working on a BBC One new consumer affairs series and we are looking to speak to people like you, who have a serious consumer complaint or a social injustice which has left you financially unstuck.

It seems you been given poor customer service and demand an answer.
We have experts who might be able to help solve the unsolvable and right all the wrongs.

Is there anyone else reading this who is encountering a similar problem with the same or a different company/retailer?

I would really like to hear more about your story. Please contact me, Anna at Flame TV ASAP on 0207 278 5052 or email anna@flametv.co.uk.

gord_c

This doesn't bode well. I've just lodged a compliant as I was left a card last Saturday for a Recorded Signed for delivery. I've been to the depot twice and they can't find it. I phoned their call centre and got someone who was at least helpfull and called me back to say there's a discrepancy as there is one record saying it hasn't been delivered and another saying it was signed for. Strangely enough the 'signature' has also been obscured by the item number sticker making it difficult to read!

Apparently now, they check with the post man to see if he remembers, which I doubt and failing that I have to claim for a lost delivery. The problem is I'm not expecting anything, so how do I know the value to claim compensation? According to the Royal Mail this is a one way street: the sender can check their item number to confirm delivery, but there's no record of the sender that the post office can check to tell me who sent it! It could be a new bank card, a jury summons, a winning cheque from the Reader's Digest - okay the last one's unlikely! What do I do though? Start interrogating my neighbours? Phone several bank call centres, the court, Reader's Digest?

I know an honest postman and it's not an easy job. He often has to sort and deliver his own body weight in mail in a day. I also know, however, that it's a poorly paid job with rapid staff turnover. I may be paranoid, but how hard is it to work out a piece of mail is a credit card, fake a signature and have it sold on before the victim even tries to figure out who sent the missing item? Hopefully this isn't the case and I don't think I have any cards about to expire, but it surely highlights a serious flaw and is definitely an eye opener as I always glibly assumed recorded delivery meant secure delivery.
3rd Feb 07 11:02

Thog

I agree that the Royal Mail's customer service is the worst imaginable. I returned some goods by special delivery next day service in July 2005 and paid for extra compensation. When I came to claim in November, they didn't pay up, even though they admitted the parcel was missing. In July 2006 I claimed again and this time they said they had delivered the parcel back to me. Eventually I took them to court in October 2006. They paid solicitors and a barrister against little old me and got the court to throw it out on the grounds that the law exempts them from just about everything. It's not a contract apparently and if you haven't started the court case within 12 months of posting you cannot claim at all. Even worse - even though they lost my £300 item. They claimed and got £200 costs from me at court just because I took them to court beyond the 12 month period. Roll on competition and I vote with you that Royal Mail has disgusting customer service.

Geoff

Why do you buy from ebay ? Tell you what, why don't you use ebay for the only one thing is good for"a search engine".When you get your product and price go search google and you will get it from a reputable dealer often cheaper including the postage.Buy with your credit card and it will be insured and if things do go wrong you can get your money back from your credit card company.

mailman

Special Delivery is the only way to post anything worth more than £10.00

I have a simple remedy for PO staff who forge my signature. I keep the item delivered and then put in a claim for the £32 and have had PO investigators three times now have to pay up as my signature was not the one on the recorded delivery wrapper. That will teach them.
so far I have had 9 out of 11 deliveries refunded in full!
If they are going to employ thieves with no proper vetting system why should I pay for it?

Poster

Recorded Delivery means what is says. Delivery of the item is recorded [for legal purposes]. It does not mean the item is insured for breakage etc..

Have to say that Registered Post is overpriced from an insurance point of view

Stan

You might want to read this before complaining.

Mark

I'm afraid I've had similar problems in the past, and yes...the only way to safely guarantee an item is to send it 'special delivery' or insured registered post. Recorded delivery is quite useless when sending valuable items and does not insure contents. I'm afraid to say this is down to the sender (who should know better) or yourself for not checking that the item was insured. As I said it happened to me , and I've learnt the hard way, now when buying goods to be posted it is always sent Special Delivery.