Renault Laguna with endless problems

I bought a Renault Laguna 1.9 DCI from a garage in Glasgow and during the very first week I had the car, I noticed that a yellow warning light began showing on the dash.  Soon things got a lot worse and I ended up with a lot of black smoke and loss of power.

I decided to take my Renault Laguna back to the garage where I bought it from as there was clearly a problem and the car shouldnt have been sold in that condition.  Later that day they said they fixed the problem, so I picked the car up the following day.  On my way home from the garage no less, the same fault reappeared.

I began what seemed like a continuous cycle of going back to the garage each day, picking the car up when it was fixed, only to discover that it hadnt in fact been fixed.  This went on for approximately two weeks when they advised me that they had installed a new inter-cooler and that the problem had originated there.

A wrench - Renault Laguna with endless problems Okay, brilliant I thought. Theyve finally managed to solve the problem at last.  A few months later however, the problem surfaced again, so back to the garage it went and they had my car for quite a few days this time.  When I next picked the Laguna up everything seemed fine at least it was for another couple of months until the familiar yellow warning light blinked on.

This time however, things were a bit more serious as there was an awful dragging sound coming from the engine.  I had to pull over and I discovered oil all over the engine.  I called a local mechanic out and he said there was a hole in a pipe (near where you top up the engine oil) and it looked like someone had attempted to fix it with duct tape.  The real issue however, is the fact that the turbo has become damaged due to this bodged fix!

Renault Laguna - two months warranty left

The warranty for my Renault Laguna had about two months left before it expired.  Maybe a coinsidence, but I am really beginning to wonder whether or not the garage had decided to bodge the job so that when the warranty finally ran out, they could fix the problem then as a non-warranty job and Id have to pay through the nose.  I have no proof of course, but one does wonder whether or not SOME garages operate in this way.

By: Brown3895

Mohd

I have 2002 laguna it cuts out while driving can some one help me with that to fixe the problem tnx

Friday Lunchtime

French cars are over-designed, over-complex, pretentious pieces of crap. Buy German or Japanese in future to avoid these problems.

mrg666

I got my laguna 51 plate sport tourer (19 dci) just after the warranty had finished, after around a month the management light came on and it went into limp mode. it did this a few times then seemed to stop . a few months later it started doing it again (forgot to mention stopping and restarting took it out of limp mode ) any way to cut a long story short diagnostics pointed at numerous things , It turned out to be the wiring loom the cover on the engine had been rubbing with the vibration onto the loom and apparently it was quite a common problem (but not according to renault ) I was advised to get a 2 nd hand loom but thought better of it and had a new one fitted by Renault and it as been fine since up till this week the inter cooler is leaking so for all those folk with spurious management faults get the looms checked and throw the engine cover

scotswummin

My Renault Laguna '03 has also been a real pain in the a***e since day one - never again!!!!!!
1st Oct 13 05:10

boblet

I love. It is my opinion that all cars suffer from the same problem. Most mechanics have little or no diagnostic knowledge. They just swap used parts for new ones until "Bingo"
22nd Sep 13 02:09

I love my Renault but!

I also need to add, that in my experience 1 in 10 RAC engineers know what's what with a Laguna. They suggest fule pump, sensors, battery, ignition, etc., etc. all were wrong! One engineer however got it spot on with the engine breather unit not working - he was the 1 out of 10! The problem with Lagunas is that yes they do indeed develop numerous problems but it's the poor or little knowledge by those who say they know what's wrong that adds to the problem.
22nd Sep 13 12:09

I love my Renault but!

Arnold Clark St Helens Merseyside sorted the problem of the engine cutting out. I had tried a few garages - all thought knew how to solve problem. Whilst I can be quite cynical about dealerships, etc. Got to be fair, they did the job and it's without doubt an excellent garage.
22nd Sep 13 12:09

Jim Bob

Never ever buy another Laguna, de-phaser unit, suspension bushes, window regulators, key-card, and for almost a year now the engine cuts out for no reason -can be dangerous when cornering as you can't steer and have no brake servo, but the diagnostics cant find a problem so don't know where to start??? Good looking, big comfy heap of crap!!! Oh, and what brainiac came up with key-card? eh?

ISSY

RENALT LAGUNA DCI ESTATE WILL NOT START ALL LIGHTS AND RADIO COME WHEN CARD IS INSERTED ON BUT ENGINE WILL NOT START LIGHTS GOOF OF AFTER PUSHING BUTTON TO START, AND RADIO COMES BACK ON ANY IDEAS WHAT THE PROBLEM IS

happy man

5 renaults 90,000 plus and still running little problems. 3 vw,s and bank balance on floor poor again. 2 audi,s problems problems problems ??????
1st Jul 12 09:07

Chris

Had my 2.2D for just over 2 years and must of spent about 2 grand on repairs. Its In the garage again today for a new auxiliary belt/altinator tensioner bolt. Bag of s**t!!
21st Jun 12 07:06

pierrejay

'Not Another Frenchy' is spot on. The Auto Express yearly surveys of all the cars available in the UK always sees the three French makers right at, or very close to the bottom of the pile when it comes to reliability and good service. The French are very good at making desirable-looking cars which are in reality poorly constructed, glitch-prone rubbish. They may, if the buyer is lucky, last for about 2-3 years before the problems begin and then, when they do (and they will) the agents may try to help, but the factories will do that French shrug thing and you'll get nowhere. As a matter of interest, the most unreliable second hand buy in the UK right now is the Renault Espace, with a guaranteed 74% per annum likelihood of breaking down (and probably expensively). I have a Peugeot and this is the last French car I'll ever be suckered into owning. Skoda or Honda next time, they're always top of the polls in reliability and dealer service. If more people were made aware of this French car issue, less sales would be made and the factories' 'who cares' attitudes would soon be rethought.