Renault Laguna with endless problems

I bought a Renault Laguna 1.9 DCI from a garage in Glasgow and during the very first week I had the car, I noticed that a yellow warning light began showing on the dash.  Soon things got a lot worse and I ended up with a lot of black smoke and loss of power.

I decided to take my Renault Laguna back to the garage where I bought it from as there was clearly a problem and the car shouldnt have been sold in that condition.  Later that day they said they fixed the problem, so I picked the car up the following day.  On my way home from the garage no less, the same fault reappeared.

I began what seemed like a continuous cycle of going back to the garage each day, picking the car up when it was fixed, only to discover that it hadnt in fact been fixed.  This went on for approximately two weeks when they advised me that they had installed a new inter-cooler and that the problem had originated there.

A wrench - Renault Laguna with endless problems Okay, brilliant I thought. Theyve finally managed to solve the problem at last.  A few months later however, the problem surfaced again, so back to the garage it went and they had my car for quite a few days this time.  When I next picked the Laguna up everything seemed fine at least it was for another couple of months until the familiar yellow warning light blinked on.

This time however, things were a bit more serious as there was an awful dragging sound coming from the engine.  I had to pull over and I discovered oil all over the engine.  I called a local mechanic out and he said there was a hole in a pipe (near where you top up the engine oil) and it looked like someone had attempted to fix it with duct tape.  The real issue however, is the fact that the turbo has become damaged due to this bodged fix!

Renault Laguna - two months warranty left

The warranty for my Renault Laguna had about two months left before it expired.  Maybe a coinsidence, but I am really beginning to wonder whether or not the garage had decided to bodge the job so that when the warranty finally ran out, they could fix the problem then as a non-warranty job and Id have to pay through the nose.  I have no proof of course, but one does wonder whether or not SOME garages operate in this way.

By: Brown3895

Mohd

I have 2002 laguna it cuts out while driving can some one help me with that to fixe the problem tnx

Friday Lunchtime

French cars are over-designed, over-complex, pretentious pieces of crap.

Buy German or Japanese in future to avoid these problems.

mrg666

I got my laguna 51 plate sport tourer (19 dci) just after the warranty had finished, after around a month the management light came on and it went into limp mode. it did this a few times then seemed to stop . a few months later it started doing it again (forgot to mention stopping and restarting took it out of limp mode ) any way to cut a long story short diagnostics pointed at numerous things , It turned out to be the wiring loom the cover on the engine had been rubbing with the vibration onto the loom and apparently it was quite a common problem (but not according to renault ) I was advised to get a 2 nd hand loom but thought better of it and had a new one fitted by Renault and it as been fine since up till this week the inter cooler is leaking so for all those folk with spurious management faults get the looms checked and throw the engine cover

scotswummin

My Renault Laguna '03 has also been a real pain in the a***e since day one - never again!!!!!!
1st Oct 13 05:10

boblet

I love. It is my opinion that all cars suffer from the same problem. Most mechanics have little or no diagnostic knowledge. They just swap used parts for new ones until "Bingo"
22nd Sep 13 02:09

I love my Renault but!

I also need to add, that in my experience 1 in 10 RAC engineers know what's what with a Laguna. They suggest fule pump, sensors, battery, ignition, etc., etc. all were wrong! One engineer however got it spot on with the engine breather unit not working - he was the 1 out of 10! The problem with Lagunas is that yes they do indeed develop numerous problems but it's the poor or little knowledge by those who say they know what's wrong that adds to the problem.
22nd Sep 13 12:09

I love my Renault but!

Arnold Clark St Helens Merseyside sorted the problem of the engine cutting out. I had tried a few garages - all thought knew how to solve problem. Whilst I can be quite cynical about dealerships, etc. Got to be fair, they did the job and it's without doubt an excellent garage.
22nd Sep 13 12:09

Jim Bob

Never ever buy another Laguna, de-phaser unit, suspension bushes, window regulators, key-card, and for almost a year now the engine cuts out for no reason -can be dangerous when cornering as you can't steer and have no brake servo, but the diagnostics cant find a problem so don't know where to start??? Good looking, big comfy heap of crap!!!

Oh, and what brainiac came up with key-card? eh?

ISSY

RENALT LAGUNA DCI ESTATE
WILL NOT START
ALL LIGHTS AND RADIO COME WHEN CARD IS INSERTED ON BUT ENGINE WILL NOT START
LIGHTS GOOF OF AFTER PUSHING BUTTON TO START, AND RADIO COMES BACK ON
ANY IDEAS WHAT THE PROBLEM IS

happy man

5 renaults 90,000 plus and still running little problems.
3 vw,s and bank balance on floor poor again.
2 audi,s problems problems problems ??????
1st Jul 12 09:07

Chris

Had my 2.2D for just over 2 years and must of spent about 2 grand on repairs. Its In the garage again today for a new auxiliary belt/altinator tensioner bolt. Bag of s**t!!
21st Jun 12 07:06

pierrejay

'Not Another Frenchy' is spot on. The Auto Express yearly surveys of all the cars available in the UK always sees the three French makers right at, or very close to the bottom of the pile when it comes to reliability and good service. The French are very good at making desirable-looking cars which are in reality poorly constructed, glitch-prone rubbish. They may, if the buyer is lucky, last for about 2-3 years before the problems begin and then, when they do (and they will) the agents may try to help, but the factories will do that French shrug thing and you'll get nowhere. As a matter of interest, the most unreliable second hand buy in the UK right now is the Renault Espace, with a guaranteed 74% per annum likelihood of breaking down (and probably expensively). I have a Peugeot and this is the last French car I'll ever be suckered into owning. Skoda or Honda next time, they're always top of the polls in reliability and dealer service. If more people were made aware of this French car issue, less sales would be made and the factories' 'who cares' attitudes would soon be rethought.

franky

I had a 3l v6 laguna. Went through two alternaters in seven month bag of crap they are on thing that works and not saying there right is the warning lights for some it they never off

karl

have 52 reg 2lt 16v driving along stopped at junction went take of fnothing no noise no grinding, took garage thought clutch, new clutch, no differences garage then says oh gearbox common fault of blowing up thought strange as no noise no signs of problems, so second hand gearbox later still no drive, can go through all gears fine clutch works, engine starts fine no noises, any one got any ideas before i break it, and possibly with a sledge hammer.

Stalag 14

"because they said the car needed a new hand break (sic) cable coming in at £560, for a cable!! "

Recon calipers are very cheap, typically £100 a pair or less.

New handbrake cable available on internet or motor factors from £12 to £25 approx.
Or breakers about £10 to £15

Are we supposed to believe this tosh? £560?

Lordberniebouffant

Had a Laguna 1.9dci 56 plate for last two years, had nothing but problems, won't bore you with them all but latest, no power, getting light on dash saying check injection, hazard switch is broken got it held down with a hair clip, couple of days ago had it booked into my local arnold clark for break fault they said it needed a break caliper, got the car back all faults above were not fixed, didn't have the correct diagnostic so they said, could not fix a new caliper because they said the car needed a new hand break cable coming in at £560, for a cable!! Got rid of it yesterday. DON'T BUY ONE OF THESE CARS IT WILL COST YOU A FORTUNE.

Laggy

Bought a 2002 Laguna 1.9 cdi in April from a service centre near maclesfield that has looked after me well for 2 or 3 years. The main mechanic who is the brains behind the operation said he had checked it out and with an extra £400 of repairs and replacement parts on top of the fair sale price, he gave me a pretty nice car. 6 months of motorway driving later, the clutch went, along with flywheel, £1300.

As a self employed decorator, no vehicle, I also lost 2 weeks off work while it was sorted. Nearly sunk me. Radio code was lost when repair was done to clutch, then random stuff failed, ie the fan went, alarm going off for no reason. But at least I was working, and it was driving, and the heater does work, just doesnt blow, so didnt get too bent out of shape.

Then driving along the motorway at Christmas, the red light came on STOP. The engine just cut out, that was scary. Pulled on hard shoulder, waited a minute, thought give it a try, engine started, off we drove. No discernible issues. Got home, normal service light coming on, so didnt drive it for a while. Couldnt afford to repair it.

Last week the car started, drove literally 10 yards and it cut out and wouldnt start. RAC came out, said there was no fuel pressure. Got it started with a manual pump. Ran a diagnostic and came up (hopefully) old codes for busted flywheel. Reset computer, and left. Within an hour of driving, the Service light reappears. Engine fine, but on way home, cut out 4 times when driving, so we just manually pumped the rubber ball under the hood and got it home.

Booked car in to be serviced, they screwed me around another 2 days never came to pick up car. Today had no option but to drive to work, 30 miles in traffic, no problems, just service light coming on. Garage picked up car, could not replicate the cutting out either, just dropped it off, no explanation of anything, service light still flashing. I drove home, runs OK, but I am really not happy wondering if engine going to just die on me for no reason.

When I say it runs OK, it has patchy pickup in low gears, rattles like a non turbo diesel in low revs. This car could literally bankrupt me if I dont get some sort of closure, cant afford to sell off, cant afford to keep if it is a pup.

Rattanee

If you want a -good- Laguna, buy the older models. I have a 1998 (1.5) RXT Grandtour, owned since new, -very- few problems... biggest issue with it ever was the waterpump failing. Also, don't go to dealers for repair... they overcharge and don't know crud about how to actually assemble/disassemble things...
Once I had the airbag light come on. The dealer couldn't connect diagnostics to the computer and told me I needed a new computer for ridiculous amounts of money cause it won't respond. Took it to an independent tech, he cleaned the obd connector and immediately everythign worked... turns out the seatbelt fastener's plug under the seat had come loose... I left the guy 10 quid as he didn't ask for any money for fixing it...

Boblet

I would doubt it Mick but I really am looking forward to some of the replies you receive. Why don’t you print of a copy of the WG & take it to show your garage? In fact I would recommend all owners of foreign cars who have griped to do the same.

mick

My Renault Dealer Told Me that My Laguna Diesel Could take off if I did Not get the intercooler cleaned out and Pressing the stop/start button would not stop it and if I pressed the clutch the engine would blow up is this true ??

brads

Hi all have the same problem with a 03 1.9 dci laguna, tought the head was gone but the block was cracked got the engine rebuilt drove the car for two days gray smoke started goming out of it and car reved its head off and sucked all the of the oil out of the engine (turbo blow up) and the engine was scrap on its second engine now recon turbo and leaking oil like a there is no tomorrow would not buy a renault again after that, and as for them f****g cards don`t talk to me.

curly

I bought a Renault Laguna 1.9 dci 2005 in November 2010 from a small garage . Had to return it to the garage having driven 4 miles in it. Garage cleared the fault. A couple of day's later on came the blasted warning light again " check emissions" garage cleared fault . On came the light again so I took it to a Renault garage they cleaned the egr valve and said " it should be ok now ".oops I recognise that light " check injectors now. error code now means it could be the particulate emissions filter oh and I apparently have no air in my front tyre . looks ok to me. stupid car

Scotty

1.9 dci laguna on a 02 reg was the worst car I have ever bought. Wud take me a week to list the problems I had with it !!!!!!!!
3rd Mar 11 05:03

Scotty

I had the same problem with mine. That yellow light is just a emissions problem. But this is caused by the end float going in the turbo caused it to lock up and not spin. The garage wud have known from the start what it was
3rd Mar 11 05:03

Not another Frenchy

yeah... I understand your frustration. I don't think all garages work that way, just a few unscrupulous ones. They unfortunately tar all those honest guys with the same brush. I've just bought an 02 Laguna 1.9 dci.... after reading all the comments made on these forums it pretty much fustifies all I've ever thought about French cars... Funky by design, great for the first couple of years and then nothing but trouble and expense..... good luck to all those other laguna owners out there, I'm off to work out how this intercooler comes out!!!!!
23rd Jan 11 09:01

robcook

this is what happens when we get a used garage car several time the same problem araises or the new one and we get frustrated on it better to get a new one alwaz atleast it wont have the same problem again and again

lazybones

My advice never by a 2001-2005 laguna especially diesel they are the worse ever.If anyone really wants a Renault Laguna go for a older model 1994-1999 great cars not sure on diesels,but I once owned a 1999 Laguna 1.8 Sport petrol its was a great car.I unfortunately purchased a 1.9 DCI Laguna 2002 and its a nightmare over £800 spent and now springing oil leaks everywhere.
I would consider Audi or Volvo diesels.Beware of French diesel engines useless and unreliable.

Cliff

I can relate to this article because my car has gone though exactly the same thing. What is confusing me is why Renault cannot just fix the fault and be done with it? I paid a £1000 plus for the repair that has lasted about 3 months, for that price or even a little more surely they could have just fixed. Very strange; What we need is an organisation to whom we can complain to with the ability to challenge these companies and make them pay. Very sad!

Ciaran

I have had a 1999 DTI Luguna for two years now. I could have bought a spang new car and paid off monthly deposit instead of constantly having to fix this piece of dirt. Similar prob to many on this site, loss of power. Turns out that the timing on the fuel pump was off. The Shellborne gargage in Portadown (Co. Armagh) are meant to be a Renault gargage, but they cost me over £500 and never fixed this problem. My advice is to NEVER buy renault and NEVER go near a Renault gargage, esp the one in Portadown, Co. Armagh, N.I. P.s. had had the car fixed by an independant gargage to £60!!! Everyone time I meet someone with a Renault they seem to have some sort of problem. Terrible cars, worse mechanics.

Jack

Hello All, no wonder I do have simillar problem with this piece of garbage (NO OFFENCE).
I have laguna 16V expression petrol 2001, the problem is after travelling certain distance the engine start reving and the yellow spring like symbol appear on dash board, the speed goes down from 50 to 20 and have no choice but to pull.
I diagnose it many times and change both throtle pump and paddle sensor, still message (Potentio circuit fault) appear after putting up diagmostic kit.

Please need guidance what to do, so far I have spend £400 for this mess.
Jack

Renault hater

I have the same problem, check emissions light coming on. Renault want £79 just to use a diagnostic machine, my local garage do it for nothing. Is there anyway of clearing the fault for good as it keeps coming back on. I have added a diesel additive to try and clear it

pammyc

anyone else ad similar probs and what did you do about it please!!

pammyc

had awful time with renault garage !! told me could not repair my laguna as as my car was 11 yrs old and the immobilier now not made after keeping me waiting a week they told me to take it to a scrap dealer!!!!! my car is in good condition new mot and drives well. I was appaled. got it taken to another garage where it was fully tested and repaired for under 100 pounds!! this garage told me they had rung renault and admitted that they had not even looked at it despite keeping me waiting a week with no intention of even looking 4 the faul!!! I rang to complain to their head office only to be met by a could not care less attitude. what a appalling service to customers

Newbie

Sound like he egr valve getting dirty then sticking, which then effects the turbo. if te egr is not cleaned or replaced the turbo will blow its seals and fill the intercooler with oil and debris. the lack of power is the turbo not coming in properly. worst case the turbo blows burns the engine oil which you cant stop by turning off the engine and it then wrecks engine.
Fix regularly keep an eye and clean the egr valve. one other thing that also can affect power etc is a crack appearing on the intake manifold. these issues are not just Laguna issues, Go onto you tube and search for BMW X5 turbo problems
3rd Aug 10 10:08

neveragain

I find it inexcusable the a garage can charge ( Renault ) two hundred pounds for a replacement part when a computer operator who never gets his hands dirty can buy the part from the trade counter and fit in thirty minutes.
23rd Jun 10 07:06

MikeP

"the laguna was and is one of the worst built cars EVER minefield of faults expensive and difficult to repair, "

It's French .... overdesigned and under engineered. Shoddy crap
31st May 10 08:05

mwtransportservices

the laguna was and is one of the worst built cars EVER minefield of faults expensive and difficult to repair, my advice is basicly,

1 IF YOU HAVE ONE, SELL IT ASAP

2 DONT BUY ONE

garage owner 28 yrs exp Bristol
31st May 10 08:05

Gainsborough lad.

Alfie123, I would try adjusting the throttle cable to 1500 -2000 revs and it should cure the sudden stalling, but fuel consumption may go up if you are in stationary or slow moving traffic often,

Remember to re-adjust it a day before the next MOT or you may fail on emissions.

alfie123

got a laguna and the engine keeps cutting out when braking any ideas

taffy

Weezing niose from turbo when going up gears I was informed a block breather pipe, also engine got nioser after the bad spell of frost this winter, and a petrol pipe nere filter, other than that so far car ok, not sure of iol to use for engine.

Gwyn JONES

Yep my 2002 laguna is on its 2nd clutch Iwont be buying Renault AGAIN EVER

anthony moore

hello there all I have a 2001 laguna dynamique 1.9dci last year the ecu fried and had it replaced at a considerable cost a few weeks later while driving along the engine suddenly lost power and a yellow light came up on the dash the light was the one that looks like the heater plugs.i pulled up stopped the engine and left it for a few seconds and started again not a problem for a short while then same again........anyone got any ideas what this problem is? much appreciated.

Dave

My 2002 1.9Dci Laguna Has Never Stopped Giving Me Problem after problem but now whenever you turn left sharply the car shudders and shakes extremely violently (suspect gearbox fault) apart from that the gearbox functions perfectly well and the driveshafts aren't damaged.. it has now had 2 gearboxes and 4 driveshafts and the problem is still there. NEVER BUY A RENAULT! Can Anyone help pleeaase!!

sgadd32

I have a laguna (MK2 2003) as well, the problems that you have, sound to me to be pehaps different than they do to you; Renaults have cheap nasty bearings everywhere, the gearbox can make a dragging sound when it's bearings start to go.

The turbo blowing is a very common issue and seems to be experienced by most Laguna owners. I also found holes in an oil feeder pipe under the engine cover caused by rubbing but seems to be un related to the problematic turbo units (which were covered by a limited agreement by Renault who acknowledged the cock up.

All the wheel bearings went about the same time as well.

The key is regular lubricant maintanence by stringent use of the specific recommended lubricants.

If it is running well, sell it! and if you must buy a French car, buy a Citroen.
3rd Dec 09 10:12

nigel

I have a renault laguna 1.9 dci sometimes when I put my foot on the accelator the is a delay in the car picking up, it as been in to gorden lambs and a.f.tuning but they couldn`t find a problem does anyone know what is going on please.

mateen dar

hello,I am having same sort of problem as you with my Renault scenic ,I don't know who to turn to.
I bought this Renault in may 2007 06 reg it has 2 clutch put in at the cost of 2000 pounds,they recon its the weer and terse .But it always had hard clutch,when they put the new clutch its soft it get hard 2nd day keep taking it back to the dealer they cant find nothing wrong ,never been done under guarantee,is there anyone who could help me .i am really frustrated.

fedup

Can anyone tell me why when it rains ..it leaks thru somewhere above and under the front passenger glove on to feet in big drops onto shoes ..wonderful!!!

Hope someone in the Renault Laguna club knows..

Marcus

Thinking about buying a Laguna 1.9 02 diesel estate with 45,000 miles on clock for £2,200. Should I buy it. Always liked the shape but everyone says they are trouble. Is this true.

Marcus
22nd May 09 09:05

snowy

I have Laguna 1.9 dci 02 plate with 106000 miles had it dealer serviced and all the items replaced when ithey should. Car is great and drives like a dream. I have had the usal faults like a front broken spring. I am getting 54 mpg and very happy with it. If I do have a problem I will go to the Renault net work to have it fixed as they know the make and if they mess up I can always go direct to Renault, and get them to sort it out, they have the power if the dealer mess up. Cam belts should always be replace before 5 years or 72,000 miles is reached. Don't and you can damage your engine.

richie

Hi has anyone outdoor got an idea with my laguna 1.9dci. Its reving even when am stationary and in neutral and has also pick-up speed suddenly without my foot on the gas paddle. please help

disgusted

Renault now make through away cars , cars they cannot fix after 6yr old or 70000 miles

del

did you ever resolve this problem as I have the same with my laguna 1.9\dci. \i don't trust the garage will give an honest assessment and fix it properly based on your results, seems theres too many easy short term fixes.

MikeP

I should probably have added that having indicated my preferences for VW group products, I also hold other German, and Japanese, makes in very high regard.

MikeP

Edgar :

To a large degree, choice of car is dictated by personal preference and needs so it is hard to give an objective opinion.

I'm not in car engineering but I have been responsible for fleet purchase and maintenance in a couple of the companies I've worked for, I'm talking about fleets of 10-30 cars so we're not talking big stuff. However I do understand enough of what goes on under the bonnet to make informed decisions.

My preference has always been for German cars, I believe that whilst they may not always be 'exciting' or 'innovative' (although many are) they have outstanding build quality and reliability, which gives them good resale value and tends to lower maintenance costs.

Professionally, I've stuck to VW group products, VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda (I know Skoda used to be a joke but those days are over). As a family we've had various Audis (80, A3s, A4s) for several years, an old Merc (W124) which did us great service, and a couple of VWs, a Golf and a Passat. Out of all those, there is not one over which I have had any regret.

Edgar

I do not own a car, and have not done so for many years now, but I do have experience of machines, both big and small. MikeP's comments in his second paragraph sum up the problem of breakdown in many machines it seems to me.

Do you have a car MikeP, and if so what make and model? Would you recommend that make of car to others? If you are in the car engineering industry your advice would be of particular value.

MikeP

£510 is relatively inexpensive considering the damage that can occur on an interference engine when the cambelt goes.

People don't seem to realise that certain items on cars, such as clutches, cambelts, and batteries, have a limited life span. Not replacing them is asking for trouble and that is why garages recommend doing so, particularly for timing belts as a failure can be catastrophic. When these components fail, usually long after their allocated lifespan, the owners treat the matter as a 'breakdown' and blame the car or the dealer/garage.

That said, although Renaults are mechanically quite sound, the bodywork, general build quality, interior fittings and electrics are shoddy. I wouldn't touch one with a bargepole. This applies to any French car, Citroens are the worst, Peugeots marginally better.

Before someone comes along and says 'if French cars are so bad how come there are so many on the roads', here's the answer : They are cheap and well equipped, and the French are good at marketing themselves and their products.

Tech

Most modern engines are known as interference engines for example when the timing belt snaps the pistons will damage the valves, even to the extent of snapping the heads off causing damage to the cylinder bores, cylinder head, pistons and valve guides.

rick the plumber

my cam belt snapped on my 1.6 laguna the garage want £510.00 to fix it because the valves are damaged some one told me that it cant do damage to the valves the garage hasent done any work on the car yet will this particular engine do that much damage it is a 1.6 16valve can anyone reply
2nd Nov 08 11:11

merv

can anyone tell me why after replacing a second turbo on my 03 laguna that is still blowing oil out the induction pipes into the intercooler
1st Nov 08 10:11

garry hale

I recentley aquIred a renault laguna 1.9dcI and have had nothing but trouble with the immoberlizer, every time we go to start the engine we have to touch a couple of wIres In the engine bay to turn of the immoberlizer. has anybody else ever had this happen to you. sometimes it can take upto 45minutes to turn off

john Rose .west wales.

Iv just about had it with my laguna 19dci, I had a turbo go got a recon fitted it,the car was
running like a dream,then it lost power had the car looked at,at a local diesel garage they
told it was a mass airflow metre so fitted a new one, as they said that was the problem but
the car has still not got the power and still not got to the bottom of the problem.......p.....off
23rd Aug 08 05:08

Ossy

Hi. I have a renault laguna 1.8 16v privelege 2002, hatchback, done 27848 miles. The air bag light and service sometimes shows. It also has a rattling sound when idling (like a diesel car). If anyone has some ideas, please HELP!!!

Ossy IN CREWE.
3rd Aug 08 11:08

mishelle

hi I had a reanult laguna and it had an intercooler changed at xmas as it had a massive oil leak and they said that was what caused it! two months later the car became a runaway diesel and would not switch off! I found out later that the car at xmas had never been checked for an oil leak
!!!!! do not trust dealers as they dont know everything now I have a car with a broken turbo and nobody accepting liability! buyers beware

teacup

we bought our laguna new in 2002 , it had its engine rebuilt twice under warranty
it has been a real lemon , now it needs a new gearbox for $15000 and its engine mounts fixed
for $5000 , who would spend $20000 A on a car only worth $20000 ?
never touch a renault , might be okay in europe but NOT in aus
22nd May 08 06:05

Proper driver.

Renaults are poor build cars full of plastic and lots of problems with electrics I would and have never owned one. My advise is always check out reports about cars online before thinking about buying. A little research would have saved you a lot of trouble.

MikeP

Renaults are cheap nasty flimsy vehicles. The only reason that there are so many on the roads is because they are cheap and full of gimmicks, most of which cease to work after a while anyway. The build quality is poor and the after sales service appalling. The advertising is good and clearly fools the gullible.

"The French have never won a war so what makes you think they can build a car.
They should stick to what they do best, striking, surrendering and eating cheese."

I'm afraid that bigoted as this may seem, it is true. I would never buy a French car and even avoid them when hiring if possible.
23rd Feb 08 06:02

conrad77

I also experienced similar problems with my laguna. whilst driving to work one day, the engine management light appeared to come on and the revs shot up to around 3000 whilst idling. I took it to a local garage and they told me it was a sensor on the accelorator. after waiting a whole week for them to get the part, I finally got the car back. it cost me 150 pounds which I thought was a rip off, but I paid it so that I could just get it sorted and have the car back once and for all. the next day whilst driving to work, the same problem appeared once again. I took it straight back to the garage and they said they would sort it out straight away and I would have my car back the next day. so I called the garage the next day wondering what time to pick the car up and they told me that it wasnt going to be ready for another 2 days. this is when I started to get really frustrated. 2 days later, I went to the garage and to my disbelief they told me that they could not fix it. so after 2 weeks with no car, 150 pounds down, the problem was still unresolved. I demanded my money back and when the question was asked why didnt you tell me that you couldnt fix it 2 weeks ago, the cocky garage owner said "well I cant predict the lottery can I". he then advised me that I take it to a renault dealer. I phoned up renault, explained the problem and I had to wait a further 2 weeks for the car to be booked in. renault fixed this problem and it cost me 58 pounds and that included a courtesy car for 2 days. the problem that I have got is- I think that a lot of smaller garages are trying to make money out of innocent people, in future, I will only go to a main dealer.
23rd Feb 08 08:02

DAVE

I have an 02 Laaguna with a catalogue of faults. If it freezes the alarm goes off, the tyre pressure monitor is always flashing on the tyres even thought hey are well inflated. The key card sometimes does not take the alrm off so when I get in the alrm goes and I can't turn it off for ages. The one of the springs in the front wheel broke and shreaded the tyre Renault of course only replace them on pairs £600 thank you very much, occasionally when I lock the car the windows and sun roof all open, the raid stuck on and I had to get out of the sunroof as all of the windows would not open. the car has been nothing but trouble since the day I got it and I am looking forward to picking up my new ford mondeo tommorrow

Kath

Have a 02 laguna and only problem ive had was the throttle body went and only renault cud fix it it cost me over 400 quid !

Ron - Newcastle

I own a Renault which has done less than 50k since 2002 (new) - after 6 weeks it needed a new engine / gearbox, since then many major repairs (several duplicates) and since warranty expired I have had to replace Turbo, Pulley belts and gearbox (again). Renault (not garage) customer services were polite but unhelpful and would not accept that the cars track record suggests a defective vehicle.

stickma

I am planning to buy renault laguna 19 dci 2005 model. do you suggest me to buy?

Eddie

What do you expect if you buy a car made by workshy frog eating idiots.

The French have never won a war so what makes you think they can build a car.

ron - newcastle

Renault Vel Satis - bought new in 2002, after 6 weeks new engine / gearbox led to 3 more years of major repairs until warranty ran out. Vehicle still has less than 50k on clock and is back in garage again - new gearbox (2nd time).

Mick

How about selling the car next time its fixed...and never buy french again.....

StuartKeith

Well kown issues with the Rens! I was going to buy a megane, but after reading all the reviews and issues people have with them decided not too!

seems things like electrics and head gaskets are the main woes, with leaks and engine issues a close 2nd! there were a lot of blow ups reported from the sites I read!