Problems with PayPal refund not showing up

My gripe is with PayPal.  I mistakenly duplicated an order online and the seller kindly organised a refund on one of the orders through PayPal straightaway.  Two payments to PayPal left my bank account within 24 hours of the orders being placed but the refund which has been debited from the seller's account has still not arrived back in my account 10 days later.

I have called PayPal at least three times...

I have called PayPal at least three times about this, being put on hold for calls that have lasted up to 40 minutes at a time with telephonists who do not speak or understand fluent English.

I have repeatedly been told that the refund has been completed and when I have repeatedly informed them that it is not showing in my account, they have finally blamed it on my bank!

Post a message on our discussion forum if you've had similar problems with PayPal

Bank card When I challenged this, they back-tracked and told me that I must wait 30 days before they will look into the matter further!  Furthermore, I have emailed them numerous times regarding this and have not received a single reply to any of my emails.

Trying to email them from their website is not only very awkward but also does not even guarantee a response!  As a result of this experience I would strongly recommend all other unsuspecting Souls consider using cheque, bank transfers or even cash as a means of payment.

By: Annoyed

Customer

I have made lots of payments via PayPal. Once last December the seller withdrew the goods on eBay so that he refunded me my 100GBP. I see this being refunded on my account, but in real terms there is no money. The account statement is zero. Nothing has arrived on my bank account neither. This was over a year ago. Several e-mails sent to PayPal, no response. Is PayPal a scam?

boblet

Paypal & ebay are companies who employ computer nerds. They cannot or will not address real buyer or seller problems. The nerds sit in darkened rooms far from the real world to work on computer programmes, designed to evade any questions that might require some knowledge of proper business practises. Thus crooks & con-men flourish with impunity.
31st May 13 11:05

paypalvictim.

paypal is sucks... i bought an item in ebay and uses paypal to pay this item. after payment the seller decided not to sell this item,so the sekker refund all my money worth £371.95. its been 1 month now and this refund still pending in my account. i kept on calling paypal, sending emails but always telling need to be payment..they are crapped!! waiting for 4weeks and there telling need to patient. anybody help me where to make a complaints against paypal...they are using customer money, they are worst ever.
31st May 13 09:05

Colin

Seems to be standard practice with Paypal. They claim "technical issues" are causing delays in processing my refund, which is still shown as pending a week after the usual 5-7 working days. The seller confirms the money went immediately from his account. There is absolutely no valid reason for the 5-7 days, never mind the "up to 30 days" condition. It is straightforward improving their cashflow at our expense.

Andy

I payed via PayPal, the money went out of my account faster than a speeding bullet. The goods were faulty and the seller kindly agreed to refund my money. I can see a 'pending' refund in my Paypal account. Its been 'pending' for 10 days now and still no sign of my money being refunded. I'm starting to feel that PayPal should be shut down and a competitor should take over their business and run it better. I'll be happy to give glowing accounts of PayPal when I get my money back.

Tranquilday

I was caught on ebay by a fake ID and fake DVD, £38.40 taken out of my bank account, even though I cancelled the transaction. I also had £51.95 taken out by an e-bay seller, flogging counterfeit items, ebay took the item off the site and I am still waiting for both refunds to go back into my bank account. I cancelled the £38.40 on the 25th Nov but pay pal still took it out of my bank account on the 28th Nov, I have transaction numbers for both refunds. I know its only been 5 days but its £90 and we are 3 weeks away from christmas and I need every penny I can get at the moment. Why does it take pay-pal so long to issue a refund!

GEOFFREY

I just been caught up in PAYPAL NOT REFUNDING.
They say the money has been paid to your bank account but has not,THERE statement said the money had been transfered but it disappeared into the ether! .
Another SMALL amount £7.55 that a seller had refunded went into my PAYPAL account and i transferred it to my account within minutes ,so what is going on?
Has PAYPAL turned into a scam?
Scams nearly always starts with them telling you that your bank is at fault and to phone your bank back ...
PAYPAL GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER BEFORE YOUR ON ROGUE TRADERS!!!!!

bigsoul

same here man. Where is my refund?????? Contacting paypal by email is not working. This is really sucking up my blood.

Boblet

I agree AJ I have been talking to them all day finally it was resolved it was like talking to a brick wall.

Angry Johnny

Both PayPal and Ebay SUCK, and we're deferring more and more of our economic lives to these incompetent retards. Not good.

whit

I am currenty experiencing the same thing! I accidently payed for the item on ebay twice and the seller sent a refund immediatley, in my paypal account I can see the refund but its currently on temporary hold what does this mean and how long will it take too get my money back ?

whit

inckka

I'm having the same problem. Seller refunded my money 7 days ago. But still I didn't receive it. PayPal says issue is with the card company, Card company says issue is with the PayPal. I'm waiting for my result in real hard feeling.

Teresa

Did you look at your paypal transactions to make sure the seller has definately sent a refund?
If the seller refunded the transaction, it will reverse back into your account. However if the seller took for its own paypal balance, it will instantly be there. Say the seller didn't have any money in paypal because they took it out, they will be sending it through their bank account to you? That will take up to 5 business days.
I have had some payments reversed from the seller by paypal. And it took approximately 1.5weeks before I saw the payment in my account. Paypal has the transaction shown there, but they are usually slow in getting the money back to you.
Don't worry, if it's in your paypal transactions... it will get to your account eventually. Also check with your bank as it may also have a delay. Don't count the weekend days as nothing processes then. I say wait out till 2 weeks, if nothing then there's probably an issue then panic.
1st Apr 10 05:04

Extremely p*ssed!

I'm currently experiencing the exact same thing. I wanted to pay for additional shipping on an item I'd ordered, but to do this I had to cancel my original order and re-order. I'd paid for first order on my debit card and this was apparently refunded. The second order was on my credit card. Both payments left my account within a day of each other. The company took the £150 from my debit card on 17/2 and refunded £150 on same day (according to my online Paypal account). The second order on credit card was taken a day later. However, here I am 3 weeks later and the £150 was never paid into my bank. I rang my bank a couple of times over past week and they told me nothing had been refunded. So I contacted the company I'd bought item from, but they told me to contact paypal. When I did Paypal were insistent that the money had been refunded and to go back to my bank, I explained that I'd already spoken to my bank and didn't think ringing again would resolve the matter. The woman (American'ish accent) then told me to ask for a 'conference call' if I got no joy. Going back to my bank they told me paypal had not even attempted to refund my money and to ring them once more and tell them this. So, I rang Paypal again! This time I was told I had to wait 'till 17/3, a month, before this matter could be taken any further. I'm furious. Where is my money and why is it that it's me who has to do all chasing and phoning to sort it out!

sub d

Well I bought something from ebay just last night via and nearly straight away I was refunded, the seller said he didn't refund me and said something must be up with paypal.

He then requested the payment via pay-pal, so I thought best to check my account and make sure its fine only to find that I have in fact not been refunded, supposedly the seller hasn't received the payment, so who's got my money! pay-pal!?!?

sub d

qualitypoint

PayPal which is a widely used payment processing system stops personal payments to and from India.

Mr.A

WOW I thought I was the only one with this problem. PayPal shows the refund as completed and sent to back to my credit, but nothing has arrived in my account. It has been 2 weeks now. Is this normal...how long does it normally take for a refund to appear in my account?

David Beckham

It will arive! Don't worry it has a little soon it will come ... I hope so

Mr M

Although they appear like it, Paypal is not a bank and therefore they are not subjected to the same laws as if they were, so they act just like every other massive domneering capitalist company and create policies that give them all of the power to basically get away with highway robbery.

Their resolution process is also the same old "defer to give up" routine that just gives anybody with an issue the run around on any claim until you get too frustrated and decide that the money you could reclaim is not worth the effort of jumping through hoops for Paypal for a year.

They obviously make millions on unresolved cases and the interest on claims that they delay by months.

Unfortunately they now have such a monopoly with online payments that you sometimes have no choice but to use their service and hope that you don't run into any problems otherwise you can be sure you will need to send countless webforms to anonomous reps who will all repsond like it's the first person to address your problem each time.

poetaria

I have had the same exact problem since Nov. 9. My bank even tried to do a three-way call with paypal and they cited their computers were down and that I should call back. My bank is now sending me a claim form and will pursue the matter, but that will take at least another few weeks to solve.
1st Dec 09 03:12

Tony S

I have just spent an hour or more trying to get my head round cancelling a (not great amount thankfully) quarterly subscription via PayPal to a mentorship member site. I had already requested via the site to cancel sub. but it wasn't (will I get a refund for that?)
As others have fpound, PayPal make it extremely difficualt to get to real answers and solutions. Try Help sections, ask a question, get a canned reply which in this case doesn't give a solution, is that help?
They appear to have changed the layout / buttons / History / subscriptions so that info via FAQ / help actually is out of date.
I have submitted 'critical' communication via membership site with copy of mail I sent, and await response, and hopefully a refund.
Moral of the story... 1. certainly be very careful with big payments that you really know what you're doing. 2. be careful with subscription payments,
P.S. of course, as with so many things, PayPal can be great for some things, and infuriating when it goes wrong.

Thanh Lam

I have same problem
I am still waiting for the paypal refund since august.
They say that they are investigating where is my money but no result until now.
Paypal sucks!!

Mr Nigel McAlister

I have a gripe with Paypal's pre-paid postage labelling system. Foolishly I succumbed to their on-line advert to post a bulky, heavy item that I had sold on e-bay.

Reassured that the label could be cancelled and money returned I duly made the purchase on-line. Unfortunately, my scales differed to those at the Post Office and I decided it would be easier to cancel the pre-paid label and pay cash at my post office. As soon as I got home I cancelled the pre-paid label as was informed that the refund was pending. This status has remained for over a month, notwithstanding over a dozen e-mails to PayPal.

Various deadlines for repayment dates passed I have yet to receive my refund. Paypal now state that the Royal Mail may not 'have approved' the refund, although no evidence has been disclosed for such an assumption. Each time I make contact I get a different personality dealing with the issue. Such person appears oblivious to the history of the problem and therefore issues repetitive advice. The only continuity is the unhelpful nature of the advice and the irritating repetition of the Corporate jargon 'It is my pleasure to assist you. Thank you for choosing PayPal.

If I had a choice I would never use Paypal again. Unfortunately, if you use E-bay the options are limited. This is the first time in over 4 years that I have had an issue with Paypal. However, I have now learnt that Paypal has no effective systems for dealing with problems such as this. They are clearly reluctant to admit mistakes and even more reluctant to give legitimate refunds. I hope that my experience will be a warning to other people thinking of using the pre-paid postage label service.

brigeeey

Oh my god this happened to me the other day. I sent the wrong amount to someone and then the right amount on the same day - its been cleared by my bank so ive given someone nearly $300 . It says the refund is pending but I thought it was meant to refund immediatley. It doesn't even give me a date that it will clear by. AHHH!
21st Aug 09 08:08

Pooce

Yeah - this appears to be a pattern with the PayPal exercise - it takes a LOOOOOONG time for the monies to get back to the refundees account - meanwhile they're gaining an interest bonanza off these delayed monies - FOR NOTHING, FREE, GRATIS... heh, no wonder the world's stuffed - greedy mongrels.

richardh

My Paypal account is locked becasue I didn't agree to a new user agreement or something, and despite many phone calls to try and resolve it I just go round in circles. My account is now locked with zero balance, yet I can't access it to close it; and without opening a new bank account and moving house can't open a new account.

Francesca

I received the wrong item from a seller who didn't reply to my e-mails for the correct article to be sent. After a week I went to paypal resolution center the seller didn't like it one bit and posted me on his website under the heading hall of shame, saying I use my credit card or paypal to obtain goods by deception, even though paypal took my money 10 day or more ago paypal told me to escalate the claim or the case would be closed (wrong information wasn't true had another ten days left )not realizing this I did what they told me I filled in an online box explaining about this seller. That was at 18:10 BST and got an e-mail at 18:11 BST telling me they have closed the case and I have ended communication with the seller and are asking paypal to investigate case and decide an outcome. As part of our investigation paypal reviewed any communication you had in the resolution center our investigation into the transaction is complete as stated in our user agreement, the claims process only applies to the delivery of goods. It does not apply to complaints about the attributes or quality of goods received therefore, we are unable to reverse this transaction or issue a refund. Then they closed the case .I am not bothered about the wrong item being sent that’s nothing compared to what this seller is displaying about me to the whole world. Paypal dont seem to care or are doing nothing about it . how can paypal review all correspondence between both parties and make a Decision in one minute and 4 secs phew!! fast work I am fuming mad because paypals user policy is being broken and this guy is doing what he wants . I’m the small fry and he's the power seller no contest ( under no circumstances, except as defined in this Section, can you disclose personally identifiable information about another PayPal user to any third party without our consent and the consent of such other user after adequate disclosure.
21st May 09 07:05

Shimmy

I have exactly the same problem! Paypal assured me the payment refund would go back into my account 'immediately' as it is 'automatic'. Still nothing although the case is now 'closed'! I paid a considerable amount of money for an item that was not as described and was fraudulent. However, despite attempting to save other unsuspecting buyers from being duped by this 100% feedback seller... I have had no success. She is now able to rip someone else off!! Unable to leave negative feedback as ebay prevent me from doing so. Will never shop on ebay again!!

Mak

I am owed almost £300 by PAYPAL because of a scammer on Ebayer who sold over 50 laptops to me and others (laptops never existed and seller has now closed her PAYPAL and EBAY accounts after withdrawing thousands of pounds. The Police are involved and PAYPAL and EBAY have done nothing! PAYPAL closed the claim after ony 5 days because of their automatic system and they say that it cannot be reopened although one of their staff said that it could be. Over 40 emails so far, half of those from PAYPAL and EBAY are just automated responses. Passed the details onto the FSA and PAYPAL should be fined heavily and closed down because the Buyer/Seller protection policy which they advertise, does not exist. Also, their complaints link on their website, simply logs you out and does not work.

red

I sent a payment through Ebay. It said "continue" so I figured I would be able to select my credit card rather than my bank account. Instead it sent the payment. The seller refunded me so I could pay with my credit card since my bank account didn't have the funds. Paypal charged my bank account for the amount refunded to me (this amount was never charged in the first place). It's saying on my account that it is pending repayment to my Paypal account. Why would they make a transaction that wasn't even accepted by the seller and immediately refunded back to me? My bank continues charge me overdraft fees! I've contacted them about this, and they said they can remove those fees, but it's up to Paypal's side to cancel the request for money! This is so ridiculous and makes no sense at all and it's nearly impossible to get any REAL help through Paypal! I vowe to never use them again, this is ridiculous!

Jason

I used the postage label service to send an Ebay item back in September but put the wrong amount on, so I applied for a refund. A few days ago I checked my account and the refund is still pending, so I emailed Paypal, they said that as the Royal Mail process the postage to contact them, which I did, they referred me back to Paypal, who referred me back to the Royal Mail, who referred me back to Paypal, who I'm waiting to hear from but who will probably send another stock email response that refers me back to the Royal Mail. It's only £2.51 but it's the principle of the thing!

Zed

Just had a similar experience of theft by PayPal. Someone else made a mistake in the payment address for an item I bought - the seller, eBay or PayPal. The payment could not be completed because, guess what, the recipient (or the domain) doesn't exist becasue of the typo in the address. PayPal lets me cancel the payment, they accept the transaction can't be fulfilled, yet will continue to request funds from my bank, take 7-10 working days until they're 'arrive' in my PayPal account than charge me a fee for trying to put them money back into my bank account. What exactly did they do for this 'fee'?
21st Nov 08 10:11

Bloody paypal

Wow. It is interesting. I've found some people who have experienced absolutely same happening. Paypal takes my money. Damn it!!!

april

The same thing is happening to me right now!!! EXACT same thing!

Kloccwork

Please go here!!!----------------------------------------------------------

www.PAYPALSUCKS.com

The best site I ran into regarding this PIECE of SH** company!!!!!!!!!!
31st Aug 08 06:08

Kloccwork

I definately AGREE. I hate PAYPAL and anything to do with it. Ive had the same account on paypal for 3 yrs now, making numerous payment and payments recieved. I recently sold 2 items on ebay for $2100. As soon as them payments were in paypal,they take their fees out and freeze the account. So now im out of $1800 and they want proof of a dealer where my items came from. They want an SS# for some reason when they dont even know what mine is to verify it. WTF?????? I wish all paypal OWNERS and Jibberish talkin Employees ROT IN HELL!!!!!
31st Aug 08 06:08

Insanity

Hi, I have the same problem with paypal... I bought an item from a site that paypal recommends and 4 days later the e-mail me and say that the item you want is no longer available and I asked for a refund! The refund was done immediately and was told that the money will take a week to be appear on paypal... It’s been 14 days and still no money back but on my paypal it says refund completed! What is the problem???? Please help me!!!

1ofakind

Paid Paypal twice, because of email error, made my bank account overdrawn, so far bank account fee's up to 50.00 Pds - never get any sense from speaking to this useless corporation - they are most unhelpful - will not ever deal with them again & suggest others, think very carefully before giving these rogues your valuable bank info - advice to others - don't trust them at all!
P.S. Still awaiting refund of course.

disgruntled

I'm not sure when you posted this,

but I too have the same problem - I am apparently refunded $100 USD and paypal has closed my dispute claim.

The money in my bank account is nowhere to be seen.

I tried looking for the links to escalate to a claim, and its nowhere to be seen. THe transaction number seems invalid.

I am awaiting business hours australian time to give the aussie call centre a go.

From the google searches it seems it will be a hard fight indeed.

Sick of PayPal

Susie, go for it girl and don't let them get away with it. On the subject of PayPal and eBay, I had something weird happen recently. I got my demand for eBay fees which I didn't pay straight away. Then a couple of weeks later they just helped themselves to payment via my PayPal account. Are they allowed to do that??? It's not on I think because I don't remember giving them permission to take fees from my PayPal account without me actually going and making the payment

harley_37

I have had exactly the same senario as the first posting a duplicate payment. In my case the seller also kindly wanted to refund me the postage difference but inadvertantly refunded the whole amount again. Neither of the 2 payments have been returned to my bank account and Paypal is now trying it on with excuses about a computer system change being the cause of the delay. I have made a complaint to the financial ombudsman but like others do not expect to see any of the money which means that I will have to pay for the item again when my bank account is replenished next week.

ayPal really, really, really

PayPal is the worst company I have ever encountered. I only had £60 in my account and to get it out was the worst. I had to give bank details and all sorts - I think they count on you giving up and they couldn't care less about customers. Read accounts from former employees on the PayPal sucks website. I eventually got my £60 but never, never, never again. Keep going - you will get your money, but it will take a long time.
3rd May 08 03:05

laughing gravy

if any company owes you money, make a demand using the moneyclaim.gov.uk website. everytime I've used it, it has worked

PayPal victim

Ho Hum!

It seems that we are not the only ones to suffer at the clumsy and scurrilous activities of PayPal! We read with interest how others have suffered and we regret very much that we did not ditch them earlier than this. Our gripe is fairly straightforward - we had two payments authorised to Name.com LLC on 12th February 2008. Unfortunately, these both partially failed due to issues at Name.com LLC's end, leaving an authorised payment 'in progress' within PayPal's system. As at 00:15 this morning, some 15 days after the event, our funds are still being held, with no real indication of when they will be released.

Readers should be aware that no amount of haranguing, legal threats or other blandishments has thus far produced any result. They having responded a couple of times, spouting that it will take '7-9 working days' for the funds to clear but despite requests, they have been unable to say just where these funds are being held. We suspect that since they are such a large organisation, with 100 million users worldwide, a 'few' (1 million is still only 1% of their account base), they don't have any significant reason to act in any way appropriately.

Also, since the UK arm of PayPal is now administered from Luxembourg, it is doubtful that any good is going to come out of all this. Our simple solution is that once (eventually) our funds are released, we will be off to Google Checkout - we've trued others and have found their terms to be less than satisfactory, offering even less in the way of seller protection than PayPal.

So there we are, sad but true PayPal Sucks! (with acknowledgment to that site)

Mattrb80

I had the same problem, I have lost £45 after I accidently transfered some money to a closed account. I was informed this money would return to my account within 10 days. After trying to liase with paypal I just gave up, endless phone calls to operators which can only be descibed as Robots reading from scripts!!. And faxes which I have no idea where they ended up. I have lost this money and have no faith in ever getting it back...im so glad it wasnt a lot more.

Paypal Sucks

Contact your Bank explain the error and they can recall the payment and or intervene with Paypal. Paypal are now governed by the FSA rules of switzerland or Luxembourg.
2nd Dec 07 12:12

SpareUsTheLies

Paypal is just another of those typical Rip-Off organisations that we seem to want to put up with in today's business world.

When their bosses sit down, to work out how to make more profit, why can't they spend as much time figuring out what should be put in place to make their other systems work. Funny how all their "fee grabbing" software never fails. But, sort out a customer error - "don't be silly, that's a waste of money!"