Pinnacle Studio problems are so frustrating

I took my first steps into the world of video editing and producing home movies, using the quick and easy Movie Maker that comes with Windows XP.  I thought to myself, this is great, but I need to be able to do more.  Looking back I should have just stuck with Movie Maker!

Pinnacle Studio seemed to be a really good product at first.  I started using version 9.0 of the software, and I was about half way through making my first movie when I ran into problems with it crashing.  It had all been going so well, and I was actually quite pleased with the results so far.  Initially I was really impressed with the way you could throw in some cool effects if you wanted to (Yes, some people do go a bit mad with them!), and that you could really control the music, sound effect and audio tracks very precisely.  The scene transitions were very effective, and the title editor was exactly what I was looking for.

Pinnacle Studio, video editing, movie making software ...a nuisance having to redo all work that I lost

However, the application kept crashing and it was really becoming a nuisance having to redo all work that I lost every time this happened.  Also, the performance began to suffer as the project grew in size and that just made things unbearable so I decided to upgrade to version 9.3 and for a while things were good.  Suddenly though, I ran into difficulties again.  It may have been my fault this time, but for some reason or other I lost the ability to render my movie in anything other than the built in pinnacle codec (MJPEG).  This wasnt much use, because most other PCs and DVD players wouldnt be able to play a file with this codec.

Fed up, I put things off for a good six months at which point, I eventually decided to install version 10 and give it another go.  Big mistake, because my PC just has not been the same since!  This software is a perfect example of BLOATWARE in my opinion.  It sucks up all the available memory, and don't even think about turning on background rendering, unless you happen to have a Cray Supercomputer tucked under your desk that is!

I just dont understand why it runs so sluggishly!  I know my machine is getting on a bit, but Im not trying to make Star Wars here am I?  It's just a stupid home movie with a run time of about twenty minutes.  My PC is around three years old now, but it can still play some of the latest games, so that cant be the problem.  Also, on the rare occasions that it does crash, this annoying fault reporting dialogue box pops up.  I just need to get this damn project finished, and then Ill throw this software into the bin where it belongs.

Soon, I intend to sample the delights of Adobe Premier.  Im just hoping it is a better, more productive experience than the one I have had with Pinnacle Studio.

Richard Mork

I have been using Painintheacle AKA Pinnacle Studio for 10 years and was getting a reasonable run out of 12 although wasted countless hours due to crashes etc etc etc, seen all the adds for the new quicker 17.5 Bought it BIG MISTAKE as soon as you download it you have to apply a Patch 17.6 why when its purchased it is not up to date I will never understand!
Then spent 10 hours doing a friends wedding THEN IT JUST STOPPED could not do anything had to close the program Tried to restart it will not start all other programs on my computer start this one will not tried to repair through Control Panel still NOT WORKING should be a law against these thieves selling programs that never work as advertised.

Downhearted of Devon

Pinnacle Studio 17 is driving me mad. I used Pinnacle 9 years ago and got to know its little foibles but managed OK. Then after a break in video editing I changed my camcorder and Pinnacle 9 couldn't accept memory cards for downloading film. So I splashed out and upgraded to Pinnacle Studio 17. Very difficult learning how to use it without any inbuilt tutorials but I managed eventually to make DVD of a friend's wedding. Then I went on holiday and returned keen to make a DVD of that. I started making it and all seemed OK. While I was still editing it I received an email with the Pinnacle 17.4 upgrade so, like a fool, I upgraded my software. After that the stills I had incorporated from the video appeared as read thumbnails with an exclamation mark on them. Every time I opened the project it said there was missing media, did I want to re-link it. So I said 'yes'. Then it told me it couldn't locate the missing media. So eventually I went through and removed all those stills I'd put in and re-edited the film without them. When it came to burning to DVD it wouldn't let me do so because it said there was missing media. So no I'm stuck. I've got rid of the stills I'd created but it won't let me burn to DVD. Now another email has arrived encouraging me to download Pinnacle 17.5. I daren't do so in case it messes it up even more. Why are there no simple ways of getting technical advice on this crap software from Pinnacle themselves? Is it because they know what crap it is? Can anyone help please?

collar

So there are movies and then there are movies - My partner says its due to the company having to use there budget up by the end of the finacial year. This involves them doing as much research as possible towards the end of the finacial year in case they go over, and make sure this will meet there budget, otherwise their budget amounts for the coming year will be dramatically reduced. This is also why you see a lot of budget film releases in the summer and August in particular taking place but never fully backed up by the big sponsers, too many dodges, too little time and too much talent going to waste?

zuriel

Just downloaded Studio 17.5 and it crashes and is sluggish cant do a basic edit with it.
It has supposed to be the latest patch but it is still rubbish. Takes twice as long to render a few mins of footage than my previous Avid Studio when it WAS AVID.
Now it's gone to pot like all the previous Pinnacle Studio versions were up to 14.
Refund required cant use it.

PleaseDoNotBuy

50 hours of editing and many test exports of my 4 min-clip, when I totaly finished, the pinnacle 15 chashes and crashes and crashes again and again.
Waste of my time.....
PLEASE DO NOT BUY THAT TRASH
23rd May 14 02:05

Aashtarsrain

Well... I've been working (trying to work is more accurate) with Pinnacle 16 Ultimate for two days now and I wasn't able to achieve anything, just testing some stuff in-between dozens of crashes... I miss my Sony Vegas. But not for long 'cause I have to finish my project. Sooo.... to the cash desk again.

dellt

I bought Pinnacle Studio 16 Ultimate a week ago, Still haven't been able to do one damn thing with it. I had been thinking about going ahead and buying 17U but am sure glad I opted to buy the lower priced one, now I'm only out about $50 for the sorriest POS program I have ever bought in my life. Last week their tech support (a joke) gave fixes? posted on their site which I had tried before I made out the support ticket. Nothing works and my system is far above their minimum requirements.
I will never, ever buy anything with the pinnacle name attached or Corel if they simply repackage it. I have had Corel VS X6 and it works fine, I also have Cyberlink PD12U and it is the best and most stable of them all, never crashes and lighting compared to the others.
Pinnacle should be thrown into the waste basket ASAP. Now I know some who use, the ones who can get it to work, but before you spout off, imagine how you'd feel if you could only get the open screen for a few seconds and then crashes every damn time. I have installed, uninstalled it about 5-6 times and finally have given up on that POS!

PSU17

I have PSU17 and I keep getting an NGSTUDIO.EXE stopped responding crash every time I render a video clip. It's extremely frustrating and so far no help from support.

I'm running an Intel I-5 760, 16GB of RAM, Nvidia GTX560 Card, and 4 internal HD's for different media. over 4TB of space. All folders have been changed as well in PSU17 all with no success in stopping the crash. I've spent over $200 in their software and can't get any resolution.
2nd Apr 14 02:04

BJINCHENOA

I recently began encountering problems in the make movie process with my Pinnacle 15 Ultimate app. My preview showed everything working perfectly but DVD production process was doing all kinds of goofy things and not completing successfully. I spent the last two weeks extremely frustrated and confused by the sudden change when it had been working fine. I have stumbled across a solution for my problem and suspect it may help others. I went into the settings and changed the default setting of "Create File and Burn DVD" to just "Create File But Don't Burn DVD". The file created successfully, then I changed the setting to "Burn DVD From Previously Created Content" and burned my DVD.....The DVD produced perfectly ~ all sound was there and the overall burning process went faster! I suspect the default setting code may have issues or be "fragile" (just a small thing can make it go haywire). Anyway, since going to this method of producing DVDs I have burned many DVDs the past few days and all have come out fine. Hope this helps others who are experiencing similar challenges with Pinnacle.

Skunk

Could be of some help if you find Corel VideoStudio on Facebook. Post your problem to their wall. They do not tend to like it if you post your problems on their wall. They will ask you for your email via DM and then get in contact with you. I had a 50% success rate. With Pinnacle 15 they could assist me with but Corel VideoStudio X5 Ultimate they have to find my me another solution. Used Pinnacle 9, 9.3 and 12 with all its frustration. Must say Pinnacle 12 on my XP system with a Q8400 CPU still very stable, suffers with HD editing though.

Mario Basulto

I had serious commercial and technical supports with Pinnacle Studio. Here, in Brazil, I don't know where found a direct contact. I suposse that the problem is that when I start working with Studio, the fabricant was just Pinnacle, but became to Avid, becames to Corel, and now I decided not work with Pinnacle Studio. I have Pinnacle Studio 9, 11, 15 and 16.
When I need to reinstall the softwares it is a nightmare film or a Hitchock suspense film, because it is a very hard way to found and reinstall the pluggins.

Grum

Purchased Studio 16 and have had issues since. System is an i7 8 Core with 16Gb RAM and an Nvidia Quadro 4000 built for this program 3 weeks ago. Latest issue is that when applying video effects the audio becomes very garbled. No chance of getting timing right. Have to export, listen to it, tweak what you think may be correct timing and re-export to listen to it.

vonjazz

I have made more than 50 movies over 12 years. I have never used software that is so perfect (when it works) and is so bad when it doesn't (which is often). I have had almost every problem, from crashing to no sound, and now to Titles not saving properly. I wish the designers could allow us to view material in low resolution on the timeline to save memory - can't imagine why this is not done.

I did solve the Sound problem in V12. Check your Audio Volume control (bottom right). Click on Mixer, and make sure all the programs, including Pinnacle Studio are toggled to max. Voila!

The problem is that I do not know of any other software that is better than a working Studio - Vegas is okay, but then you have to use a separate program for titles which doesn't make any sense.

I have never stuck with any software for so long and been so frustrated as with Studio! Weird...

ed-video

I've used 15 HD ultimate for nearly 2 years well before I got stuck recently -- freeze during making movies of MOV and MPEG2 or Microsoft media file. I reinstalled OS - win7 64bit, this made the 15 HU crashed when started to run. So I changed it to Win7 32bit that makes 15HU fine to start, however, making movie has the same problem. But now I found the point is on libmfxsw32.dll located in the program folder of studio 15. I also found the dll was created by intel around 2010 and saw a new version on intel's site. By installing the new sdk and overwrite the dll using newer one, the problem finally disappeared. -- Please note that this works fine on my dell slim studio pc, you can have a try on yours if the intel media sdk is used. Good luck.
2nd Jan 13 11:01

TheLazyComic

I stopped at Pinnacle Studio 12. I started with 8, then bought 9, then 10... skipped 11 and bought 12. Pinnacle Studio is a hunk of crap. My PC has plenty of memory and processor speed... this thing just runs at a snail's pace. I remember calling Pinnacle directly when I had Studio 9, and asking their tech support guy, why so slow? His answer was rich. He told me because it was good. Are these fools kidding me? Stop buying Pinnacle products. They will just frustrate you, and with each release, it seems like they make more special effects items ala-carte. Pinnacle has seen the last of my cash.

me here

I feel your pain.

I have Pinnicle Studio 15 Ultimate and it freezes at the same spot when trying to "create movie" I am not able to get past it. Previously, no problems aside from being slow and using up all the resources on the PC (cant run anything else), suddenly it refuses to make the movie.

Absolute rubbish.

jet

Have you tried Sony Vegas. It's pretty good and doesn't crash.

cammi

I can't believe all the time I have wasted. Is there a better working program that you can recommend? It has taken me 4 days to copy 2 tapes! HELP

Allen McDaniel

Has anyone found a solution for software Pinnacle 15 continually crashing when working on titles?

Ripped off

For those having other crashing issue, see the following links. Hopeful they help you because they certainly didn't help me.

For the location of MediaSDK_Wrapper.dll in Windows 7 64bit, you can find that here.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Pinnacle\Studio15\programs

PS.. It is interesting that Pinacle promotes the fact that it saves backup in case of system crash. Seems like they know they have serious problems and this is their solution to it.

Good luck to you all.

Ripped off

So far I have been extremely disappointed with v15.0 of Pinnacle Studio 15 Ultimate. It keeps crashing my system. By crash I mean a hard crash where it reboots the entire machine causing raid drives to be re-verified on start-up. I have been going back and forth with Avid support for almost a month now and still no resolution. They seem totally unwilling to give a refund even though I requested one within 48hrs of purchase. So much for my hard earned $$.

System configuration:
Windows 7x64 SP1 (clean install)
i7-920 (eight core)
6 Gig ram
120 Solid State drive
Nvidia GTX 260 with latest drivers. (v8.17.12.8562)

When I gave them my DXDIAG info and MSinfo they could not find anything out of the ordinary.

My advice is stay away from version 15 for now, at least until a update comes out. But hey if you like to gamble go for it.

SteveSanDiego

I have Studio 11. It used to work without issue. I loved it. Then, I bought a new HD camera that uses MP4 files instead of tape. Now, it randomly loses audio in various scenes. I have been working with their tech group SINCE SEPTEMBER (now almost December) to resolve this issue. Based on their recommendation, I also spent $300 trying some computer hardware upgrades (new video card and power supply). That didn't work. This is becoming untenable. Their tech guys are ridiculously slow to respond. They promise to get back to me in a day - nothing. I am in the software industry, and we would never ignore our customers in this fashion. I sent them example files through a web portal that they promised they would test. NOTHING. I used to be a believer in their products. Now - I am a completely disgusted and dissatisfied user. Soon to be former user. Find a different product.

wazza04

Hi. I’m having a recurring problem with the effects on pinnacle studio 12 ultimate. When I apply an effect to a clip of any length, for example the 2D editor effect, it appears to work up until the last fraction of a second at the very end of the clip. So the clip plays, with the effect successfully applied, up until the last second and then suddenly the effect disappears and the clip looks as it would be without any changes. I have a vanishing effect problem! I’ve tried hundreds of ways to prevent this happening and although it’s not the most serious problem that someone could have, it is extremely irritating. Please could you try solving the problem for me? It would push me on leaps and bounds if it were fixed. Thank you for your time. Andrew Warwick.

Pinnacle User

I have many many hours working with Pinnacle Studio 12. After much troubleshooting, I entered my BIOS and turned off my Hyperthreading. Eureka! The program stopped crashing! Its still does has some little bugs here and there... but turning off some of your CPU's horsepower seems to make a difference. I emailed Pinnacle about it.. I have spread the news on many forums already.
1st Nov 10 12:11

Joe

I have a quad core 2.6 i5 processor, with 4th of ram and it still freezes up saying lack of memory...

james

funny my experience with pinnacle 12 is great no probs at all.
pinnacle all the way
1st Aug 10 07:08

Albion

My experience of Pinaccle 9 and 10 is identical to the above.I am now investigating other products

jimmy

you are not alone. I had problems with a lower version so I thought 12 ultimate will be better. I can render alright but the dvds I make plays midway and stops.
21st Feb 10 08:02

Bob

Thanks Daniel (10-5-09) Had the same trouble redendering since going to vista and downloading the 10.8 patch. When I pressed "Create" it went into action and did nothing except look at you !!
I did as you suggested .....
Quote ...Go into Setup then edit and turn off background rendering it has made it go from 200k usage of RAM to just 20K. I just hope it all works for you Cheers.
......And it did...works fine now Cheers

Johan DC

Ik kan mijn film naar believen bewerken, doch wanneer ik de film maak, is de afgewerkte opname op DVD een ramp. Muziek speelt te snel, geluid welke bij het beeld behoord is weggevallen enz. Ik heb het gehele programma weggedaan en opnieuw geinstalleerd doch het resultaat blijft gelijk. de afgewerkte loopt helemaal fout. Het probleem is begonnen toe ik via mijn Studio 10 een upgrate had gemaakt waarbij ik devolgende activeringsleutels heb geactiveerd. Deze zijn: MPEG-4 Codec
LAFSC-JAAAA-ADHPA-ZUUDC-KZCPM

: Dream Glow
LAFSF-AAAAA-ADHPA-EAUSL-KNKRL

: MPEG-2 Codec
LCEXH-NAAAA-ADHPA-HLLVB-WIYEZ

Garaag had ik hierover advies ontvangen.

Hartelijk dank

Morry

I'm always very suspicious when a company will not allow pre sale questions by e mail and i'm sure glad that I did my homework on the net before jumping in!

dl

Is there any way to transfer all of the work I've done in Pinnacle to Movie Maker?

Simon T

Gorki, I too had endless problems with Pinnacle Studio. I switched to Sony Vegas and haven't looked back since. I've heard that Adobe Premier is supposed to be good.
3rd Oct 09 10:10

Gorki

All my frustrations about rendering a 3 minute project are due to Pinnacle Studio 10.8. I have a 1 GB RAM memory and 500 GB HD, and dual core processor, what else that software needs to do the job?. The software have crashed my pc many times when I try to render, it just does not render, why? because I using picture to picture, chroma key or video effects; so why these people from Pinnacle featured that software with those effects and many things that won't render??? SO FED UP!!!
3rd Oct 09 12:10

Jump Cut

Frankly I am surprised to see Pinnacle Studio still in business. I have struggled with them ever since they came out with version 8. I finally threw up the towel at version 12 when they dropped support of "Smart Sounds". Lots of us had a lot of money invested in Smart Sounds.
I just sent my copy back to them and got my money back. At my age I don't need the frustration of a company still trying to write bug free software.
If you really want to get a top notch video editing program go with Final Cut Pro.
All of my friends who do any half way video editing use it. It works and puts out a good product.
Yes, it cost more than $ 100.00, but if you don't want to stay one the phone with run-around tech support invest with Final Cut Pro.
21st Aug 09 01:08

bob

I have been trying to get my pinnacle studio 12 ultimate software to render with a sidebar on it. it will not render with any type of editing on it. all that shows up is a blue screen if I am doing windows media video and other colors with other file types. if I take off the title or editing then it works like it should and I am rendering it like you should. I would not recommend this product.

steve

I am recent user of Pinnacle Studio 12 and find the software causes the computer to repeatedly crash and/or feeze up. in all other applications the computer performs without fault.

My computer's specs are above the minimum requirements.

I would not recommend this product on the basis it does not perform with any reliability. In my case, it was a waste of money and once I have found a way to complete my (relatively basic) project will be uninstalling it, cleaning out the computer and looking for something better - I would sooner have something with less features that at least is reliable and stable.

Find me a different program

I have Pinnacle 12 ultimate, hate it, it is the worst. Keeps on crashing, now will not burn to DVD and yet my DVD burner works when I try a different program. I have downloaded the patch to no avail. Windows Movie Maker works better, but I wanted the pizzazz that came with Pinnacle. I agree, the program is way too bloated and takes forever to render a slideshow even with pictures only.
31st May 09 12:05

Imo

To the above Pinnacle user..

I have Pinnacle 12 Ultimate and a Great computer too.

However, I am also experiencing crashes from their software. I was also picking up some waved like pixelization on the edges of my subjects.. Looked pretty good at first, but as you say if you projects grows beyond say 5 minutes, your out of luck, in a big way...

Think I'll try Sony Vega 9 Platinum Pro..

Esa

Hmm... I did have some problems with Pinnacle 10.6, but it worked. I made some 3 h movie with it, and then suddenly decided to upgrade to 10.8 before I made a DVD from it. First try after installing and rebooting showed that some of the overlay texts were not correct (same text in multiple parts, and the actual text missing). I stopped Pinnacle rendering, and as it refused to stop it, I used the three finger program-start and used TaskManager to kill Pinnacle. After that I have not bee able to render anything at all. Not to file, not to DVD, not even VDC. I have tried other old projects, that I already had safe on DVD, I have tried to rename the projects, I have cleaned all temporary files from my video HD. And still every time I try to make DVD or render, the Pinnacle starts to spin my HD, TaskManager shows that there is no CPU hungry prosesses running but still everything runs like in molasses. Also after several hours Pinnacle dies, without making any files to the HD nor even asking the filename I'd like to have.
Now I am so frustrated, that I will try reinstalling 10.6 and do the project with that, if it works...

Jeff

The company didn't honor my rebate. Every upgrade has broken the previous version's projects. Support is pretty worthless, just want you to buy stuff. I keep thinking the company will improve, but it doesn't.

It is poorly written software. It is slow because the code and interface is not well written. For example, when you are searching for files, it creates thumbnails of every file in the directory, and does not let you choose to view them as text or bypass it. If you navigate away from the directory and back again, it recreates the thumbnails, and reloads the files into memory again.

It renders in the background, but it rerenders every time you tweak a scene. In some cases, if you are using a spinner, it tries to render each time you press the arrow. In the newer versions it tries to wait, but always seems to be annoyingly wrong at guessing when it should update.

If you try to use text-mode, it is very easy to accidently move a scene without meaning too. If you catch it you can undo it, but it still causes all the transitions to rerender.

It does run without crashing on a well designed system, but it is still very slow.

However, I don't think any of the software in this price range is very good. I've had issues with Adobe, Ulead, Sony, and others.

Daniel

I have maybe found a solution it has worked on mine and I am happy to say it seems to have fixed it. Go into Setup then edit and turn off background rendering it has made it go from 200k usage of RAM to just 20K. I just hope it all works for you Cheers.

Ron

I purchased Pinnacle 9 awhile back. I recently tried to make a movie from my video clips. I could not "capture" the video onto my home computer or my laptop. I explained the problem to Pinnacle support and they said if I upgraded to the version 12 this problem would be solved. I paid for the online upgrade and it would not install. So Pinnacle support said I had to purchase the DVD upgrade. I did this and finally it installed...but, the same problem still exists. It will not capture the video correctly. According to Pinnacle my computer and video camera are all compatable and I "shouldn't be having anymore problems". Now instead of helping me, they want me to purchase a training DVD to solve the problem. Its funny how they quickly responded each time that I needed to spend money, but now I can't get them to respond because I told them I would not purchase anything else from them. Bottom line is, their tech told me the upgrade would definitly fix the problem, it didn't. Now they won't help. Worst customer service I have ever had. Warning: In my opinion, don't ever buy Pinnacle software!

MoonDawg

Also, their forums are no help either. So inactive and pointless.

MoonDawg

I agree 100% with you. Pinnacle Studio is complete trash. It worked until I tried using Picture in Picture, and now every time I try to edit a clip, the program will crash. I hate this program.

I haven't learned how to use Adobe Premiere yet, but I've heard it's 1000 times better. I have the program, and I've tinkered around with it. It's much better.

Studio Fan

Well Mr not-looser sounds like you are one to me. Have run studio 9,10,and12 ultimate with no problems at all . Get your equipment right and then set it up properly

Uncle Cunt

Running Pinnacle Studio 12. Makes a huge difference having two hard drives internally. One for operating system and software, the other for video storage and rendering etc.

not-looser

pinacle studio is fuc_king sh_it program for loosers....
21st Dec 08 09:12

Frosty

Don't go with Adobe Premier! Crashes more than Richard Hammond!

t.a.

Studio 10.8 is a disaster. Pinnacle support online is unnacceptably poor.
Tempted to upgrade but everything here backs up my experiences. :-(

mikey

I get a green screen when I try to use motion menus or often when I use transitions help please
23rd Nov 08 02:11

hungamie

I'm about to blow my top! I just lost several projects that have months worth of work. I got a new brandname computer with vista and Pinnacle 11 for it. The hardware is decked out for this single application, 1 tera HD, dual processors, etc. but when I tried to record voice over, it froze and after a hard reset, my projects could not be reopenned though I can see them in the folder. Stupid design in file naming and folder assignment makes it impossible to rescue these projects, even after all the research on FAQ, forum and bloggs on both public and Pinnacle's own websites. Pinnacle's site even acknowledge the problem but don't post a way to fix it. Bottom line - Don't buy it, no drug can hold down the stress and aggravation you'll get with Pinnacle.

The Hugging Bear

Thank heavens I found this site. I tried to use Pinnacle to produce my daughter's wedding video. And you are so right! It's slow. Very SLOW. It's hungry. It tricks you into buying stuff that oughta be free BUT most annoying of all... It keeps on crashing. And I thought it was my new PC's fault. The 2gig RAM and 500gig HDD wasn't good enough for Pinnacle.
For a cheap and useful alternative ...try Serif. Don't know what issue level they're at now as I stopped using my video camera when I accidentally threw it overboard during my Med Cruise. I'll stick with Digital SLRs from now on.

Scooby

Try Sony Vegas suite. I've used both Pinnacle Studio and Sony Vegas. Actually I've used a lot of packages and it's the best all round one yet that doesn't cause too many problems particularly on older PC's That's the problem I had by the way. I couldn't run Adobe Premier because I had an ancient PC. Pleased to say that Sony Vegas was the ticket so try it out.

naresh

I am looking for an editing software that works - The End!!! by nandha

motorhobo

Pinnacle Studio products are garbage, pure and simple. Save yourself a lot of frustration and wait until you have enough money for something that works the way it is advertised.

me

really????

I don't have any trouble with it crashing!!!!
I have pinnacle studio 12 ultimate!

Interworld

I have been using Pinnacle 9, then 10 and now 11 - I agree it is sluggish, but I have produced some pretty reasonable results (even winning prizes at a local video club where everyone is "clever" and uses Premier) However there ARE some problems and I can't fix them. Even Pinnacle 11 (or is it my computer with its 500gig hard drive 4gig of ram etc. etc. etc.) can't handle a video of much more than about 25 mins and when I try to make a windows media file *.wmv I get an annoying purple line at the top of the video and Pinnacle either can't or won't fix it. For some reason you need to load the CD/DVD into the burner BEFORE you switch from Edit to Make Movie or it doesn't work also, when I try to exit a still picture I just get a mass of coloured pixels and so can't pan or zoom it for effect. So its a love hate relationship I like the simplicity of the programme and I have sort of got used to using it (I guess I have produced about 50 videos now) but the shortcomings drive you crazy - Lie everyone else I am looking for a programme that is AS EASY, but far more reliable. Oh and one last thing, doesn't it annoy you when you try to add some sort of "effect" only to be directed to the Pinnacle Web Site to BUY it grrrrrrrr

BEV

Just dont buy this crap, I normally use DV, but my Analogue card decided to die, so got this heap...wish I hadnt. I normally use Prem Pro and DV(1394) capture, never a problem. My box is bespoke NLE workstation. Pinnacle support is total rubbish as it always was (I used Avid for a while...dont bother) Basically the sofyware is first class crap. Gte Premiere, even an older (V5-V6) version will work far better than this junk.

editorterry@aol.com

I completely destroyed a good PC because of the crappy Pinnacle program, Studio 10. After frustrating hours of trying to remove this "virus" from my program files and/or registry, my boot sector was corrupted beyond repair. I cannot tell you the hours spent trying to install/reinstall this menace.
3rd Jul 08 09:07

DannyF

I totally agree with this gripe about Pinnacle Studio - I have very, very similar issues and history with Studio 10 Plus and Studio 11 Ultimate. People need to really consider their options with this product. Investigate all the pros but please, please listen to all the cons also. You may just be throwing away your money.

Laura

For whoever had the microphone problem, a way to get around that is to record the voice-overs using some other program (even the voice recorder that comes with Windows works) and then simply import the recordings as sound files into the Pinnacle software. I really haven't had problems with it so far, although it is a little sluggish even on my quite fast computer. It's crashed a few times but not a crazy amount. What I'm worried about is putting it on my home computer since it's already on my work computer. I'm worried it will screw up the one that's already installed, but haven't found any documentation online addressing this possible issue.

Ben

Well you are not the only one to have problems with Pinnacle. I bought a gaming computer, which at first worked fine then I installed version 11 ultimate edition that I bought (should have done my reserch before hand), have sent my computer back 3 times to the maker and still have problems. Going to have to re-format my hard drive again for the third time. What ever you do, do not buy Pinnacle

Jules2477

After working very successfully with Pinnacle 9. The logical update is 10 BUT DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT - impressive features lets you do your editting and THEN WONT RENDER TO DISC. After investigation Pinnacle blamed my Pansonic camera's. On their own admission it does not work properly with several makes of camera suggesting conversion to an AVI file first. (Which does work) Fine maybe for a simple project but multi camera clips, not in chronological order - An absolute nightmare. Then there is the maddening thing where the clip format is 16X9 but Pinnacle decides to run the project as 4X3 and come hell or high water you cannot over ride the auto decsion even with the preferences correctly set. 10 A is a huge disappoint. If you are happy with 8 or 9 save your sanity and stick with it.

cwt

I am looking for an editing software that works - The End!!!

SluggO

Studio 10+, what is there to say. Bahhhhhh!
My USB microphone worked one time with a project. Then on the second project the microphone is not seen in the setup menu. So no voice overs can be created. I guess I will have to use titles and make my DVD look like the old silent movies with captions added. I have tried all that I know to get the microphone to show up in the setup menu, but nada, zip, nothing. Windows XP is able to use the microphone and Movie Maker uses the microphone just fine, but not Studio 10+.
The tech support people, yah right...

Does anyone have a suggestions that I might try
Thank you.?

Chickenman

I upgraded to V11 6 months ago. I cannot render any menus on my project for Christmas. Support says kill these tasks, change media, slow down burning, none of which work. Plenty fast machine, HD, Memory, and Graphics card.

Indian support had me run a bunch of config reporting tools and send it in. Then they told me to do - again - everything from the first time which made NO difference.

I used Arcsoft Hollywood before and it was pretty good and MUCH faster. It's video quality was subpar, unfortunately, and they haven't produced a new release for 4 or 5 years.

Can anyone recommend a decent package that is reasonably fast and actually works?
21st Dec 07 01:12

TORMAN

I saw Pinnacle in a Magazine saying it was the best siftware on the market. I have purchased 4 versions 8,9,10,11. I should have stayed with 8. Problems after problems I have had with these locking up, don't burn, to slow, just to many problems. I have Emailed the company and have no response. I have paid allot of money and have gotten nothing. I have a P4 3ghz dual core, 2 Tgig hd, 4 gig ram and if thats not fast enough, I think I will just go Adobe. I do not recommend it to no one.

Asta

I have quite a variated oppinion of this program.
The first few times I used it, I was satisfied with the system.
All I can say now, is that I'm proud of myself for not having thrown any of this out of the window yet. This week I and a group of class mates were making our own News. And we had constant problems with this program. Every darn time we tried to import anything from the cameras we had to do it three of four times. Every thing started to fast forward once it was on the computer. So the last day before the show was to air, we had to stay at school four hours longer than we were supposed to.

Blue Rinse

I use Pinnacle Media Suite 10.7 and its a dream. I am only a beginer in this sort of thing but I found it easy to use and did all it claimed and more. I have used nearly all the functions, video editing, backups, copying disc's etc all working really well and never had any problems. I always edit my movie then do the burning proccess while I sleep and wake up to my lovely holiday movie to watch over breakfast. By the way I am aged 61!
1st Oct 07 10:10

ashlar

Pinnacle is just a bad progam, I've posted here before and after much reading and investigation from the suggestions made here, I've now bought Adobe Elements 3. It cost a bit more than Pinnacle but it isn't buggy. I downloaded video from my VCR, edited the video (scenes, chapters, credits etc), burned to DVD and not one crash or hang up. Before you start saying it's my machince that isn't up to snuff, I do run a 3 gig pentium 4, with 2 gigs of RAM, an ATI all in wonder 3600 card with 2 160 gig hard drives to store my projects on. The interface for Elements 3 is similar to pinnacle, which was the reason I bought pinaccle in the first place, and also everything is drag and drop. The only thing that could make me happier is if pinnacle would refund the money I wasted on their program.

debacle

This versions product should be named Debacle not pinnacle. We purchased three of the recent versions based on prior versions performance. Two are in the trash (enough time wasted) After weeks of finding no support (the live chat just disconnected with no response at all after I waited hours to connect ) my conclusion this company has no regard for customers. Number three in the trash. What a miserble experience!!!!!!!

Dann\

Hello again, I forgot to mention in my last post that this Pinnacle Titanium 10.5 (updated to 10.7) is my very first Pinnacle product. I also forgot to mention that already I'm outgrowing it... I need more than 2 editing tracks. One for the blue screening, one for the content, and occasionally one for the titles. Using Adobe photoshop along side Pinnacle makes for very nice work. I absolutely love the Pan & Zoom and the Chroma Key and Volume Control and Brightness Control, in fact, this package has SO MUCH!!! And as for being stable... yes, it really is. I can have multiple things open thanks to my 2 Gigs of Ram, like Pinnacle, Photoshop 7.0, my internet, Fan speed control (keeping an eye on my CPU when I'm overclocking) No such thing as the things you guys gripe about. I don't know what you are complaining about. The bottom line is that I have a clean system, and installed Pinnacle onto a clean system, and keep it clean still.

Would I buy Pinnacle again in the future??? Well put it this way.... my next system is going to be a quad core, and my next camera is going to be HD, so it stands to reason that my next editor better be up to using multiple core processing with multiple editing tracks to use. But for now Pinnacle 10.7 Titanium is exactly what I need, nothing more, nothing less. I like it a lot. I just wish my processor was double the power, but unless I want to replace practically everything in my case including my OEM XP that's licenced only for my current motherboard.... I guess I'll just have to live with it for now and buy a whole new system later. Good luck guys.

Dann\

Hey peoples, I posted a gripe back in February about my Pinnacle 10.5 Titanium not working for me. Well here's an update: it does work after all, it works very well. After reading through the posts I saw that one or two guys claimed it worked "flawlessly". I decided to persist on the matter.

First of all I cleaned out my registry and updated my Catalyst driver for my video card. And.... it worked. Upgrading from 1 Gig Ram to 2 Gigs also saw an improvement in performance... not because of the additional capacity, but probably due to lower latency. My Athlon XP 2700 needs all the help it can get.

Pinnacle works very well for me, 10 times better that Microsoft Window's Movie Maker. You want anger and frustration: use that for a project or two. Pinnacle is 100 times more stable and has more features. I like it a lot. It takes only minutes to render, not the hours you guys claim. I have no concerns about Pinnacle 10.5 Titanium at all.

Nick Brazil

I was very interested in all the adverse comments about Pinnacle 10. I have experienced a multitude of similar problems. Firstly, Studio 10 crashes with monotonous regularity after about three to five edit actions. Secondly, the programme freezes if I try to pull audio or video tracks to increase or decrease the size of a clip. Thirdly, when rendering some of the frames "stutter" marring what would otherwise be a perfect project. If I send feedback to Pinnacle all I get is a message saying that this is a "Pinnacle problem with no solution." I have managed to reduce these operational problems by closing all other programmes such as Kaspersky anti virus and Google desktop when running Studio 10. But they still occur far too often for comfort and convenience.

I have now reverted to Pinnacle Studio 9 to create my project and it seems to be much better. My suspicion is that Pinnacle have released what shouldn be an excellent and powerful video editing programme on the market prematurely before ironing out all the major bugs.

kelp

My response to tech support:

>[===> Please enter your reply below this line <===]
Yes, I already did that. I am not going to try to rescue this program. It stops during rendering, like everyone complains about. It would not I am going to use another, more professional program instead. This program behaves poorly.

The uninstall is not complete. There is also alot of leftover junk everywhere. Also Pinnacle erases any previous system restores. I am sure you know that. It also erased the directory of C:\working during uninstall. Thus, it does not run properly, nor uninstall properly.

This program accesses the internet behind my back. I have to turn it off through services. And to my face it is always trying to sell me something. Bad ideas.

Pinnacle's occult installation and hidden files from the OS rivals viruses and worms. Except I pay for it. My mistake. I'll avoid your software.

This appears to be deliberately not well done.

Bluefin

I had all the problems above and still can't get it to work I what my money back.Do not BUY.

crapStudio

Create an one hour DVD is a task for 1 entire day for the processor (Centrino Core 2 duo), and you still have a chance of a crash at the end.
SUCKS!

Nepsa

The reason so many are having problems with version 10 is the same reason I had until I just finished building my first PC. my old Dell 8100 with 1 GB, weak graphics card could not handle the load. Our old machines are not designed to handle a program like the 10.
My new one has the new Intel 975 board, Dual 6600 processer, 2 gig ram and g-force card and Sata drives.
With downloads it only uses 5% of processer and 35% when rendered. Fantastic program with you have the supporting system.

Rex

I too encountered all the problems that everyone else did. After doing what should have been a 5 hour project that took over 80 hours to complete with incredible frustration, I made a decision to never touch Pinnacle Studio again! I converted to Adobe Premiere and absolutely love it. My hate for Pinnacle helped push me over the learning curve for Adobe and I can't believe how rock solid it is. The one thing I love is that you know exactly where it is putting all the files it creates. It is not a resource hog like Pinnacle was.

Working with Pinnacle gave me Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. In the last 6 months that I have used Adobe premiere, there have been a few times that the software crashed, which caused immediate flashbacks to my Pinnacle Days. I became anxiously fearful until I restarted the program. Each and Every time, Adobe came back up with flying colors - never a project lost or corrupted. You could hear me throughout the house shouting "yes"! I sing the praises of Adobe. Maybe there is hope that one day I will be completed healed from my Pinnacle Anxiety disorder - probably not until Pinnacle cleans up their garbage and gets it off the shelves.
22nd Mar 07 09:03

Another Fedup Studio User

I have been a Pinnacle user for a couple of years now. I started with Studio version 9 and had little to no problems with any of my projects. However, about a year ago I started using version 10 mediasuite. During that time I started experiencing random blue screens. I chalked it up to family computer with all of the "free game downloads" the kids were adding to it. I finally had the computer "tuned" up by professionals but still had the random blue screen problems. I finally got so tired of it that I did a complete recovery of the system. In the meantime I installed Studio Mediasuite 10 on my new laptop (thinking to avoid the clutter of using the family computer). Guess what, I immediately started having blue screen problems on my laptop. Performance has gone down to nearly a crawl, that's even with an upgrade to 2gigs of RAM. It takes nearly 15 minutes now to restart the computer. I have been trying to edit together four video segments that total about 650 MB when all added together. I added a DVD menu and nothing else to the movie. When I tried to render the movie and create the DVD it took two tries and nearly 12 hours of computer time to finally get a DVD that won't play in my DVD player. By the way, the final size of the rendered movie was 4.33 GB up from the original 650 MB of video. My only hope is that I can remove Pinnacle's Studio Mediasuite 10 from my laptop without too many residual registry problems. I may be looking at another complete recovery. What a waste of time and money. I agree with everyone who recommends against buying this junk.
22nd Mar 07 06:03

Rex

22nd Mar 07 06:03

Rex

22nd Mar 07 03:03

Rex

22nd Mar 07 02:03

Bentheeditor

I have just got version 10 with the PCI input card too. Cant even install it, if I install the card manually then that works with 3rd party video capture software (very well actually, pinnacle should keep maknig the hardware and get someone who knows what they're doing to make the front end). Anyway the installation gets to the second green bar and then stops. No error. No hard drive lights, no DVD drive lights, even windows things everything is running fine. If I force it closed it doesnt whine or whinge it just closes but after 20 - yes TWENTY attempts to install it the most I have achieved is watching it kill my TCP/IP and having to manually reconfigure them again. Why the hell does it even go anywhere near networking?!!?!? DO NOT BUY THIS SOFTWARE IT WILL RUIN YOUR LIFE. Ok slight exaduration but its certainly no Premiere or Final Cut (which I use for editing at work on a Power Mac.... it renders almost everything on the fly without glitches, frame dropping etc.. I am of the opinion PCs weren't designed for editing, so if you are serious then get a mac and final cut.
21st Mar 07 05:03

Airstream

Have to agree with all the comments on this page - It is one of the most frustrating programs. On the Plus side it seems to have such a good set of features. I have been struggling with Studio 8 and I have recently acquired Studio10 Plus which at least runs in a larger screen. I had hoped it would be more stable. I upgraded my PC last year to a 3 gig dual-core with 1gig ram since I have a lot of video to edit. I have spent the last few weeks building a 25 minute video with lots of menus and sub-menus, I have disabled background rendering as recommended on the Pinnacle website - now I am getting 'export error' whenever I try to render. How can they produce such an unstable program?

Stuart C

I have used Studio right from the first addition. I have always had problems with every version. I have stuck with Pinnacle because it is very easy to use and the instruction manual is excellent.

However, version 10 is the worst yet. I have had it seceral months and still cant get it to work properly. It was working fairly well ( Studio always crashes) until I purchased the HDV DVD authorising kit. Now it crashes every time I click on Make Movie. I cannot now use the program at all.

I find that the help desk dont really listen to what you say and also they dont check your account to find out which version you have and how you purchased it ( Disc or Download).

I wish Microsoft would purchase Pinnacle, their products may not be the best but they are reliable.

Studio 10 is is the most unreliable piece of softeware I have ever used.

Lissie

I get so annoyed by this program. I have version 8 and have lost many many progects and had to redo them over and over. Then of course I go back, hoping it would work and it always crashes. I have had a few of them work, but only because I cut and paste them to another file before it crashes. So what is there to use out there!? I love the format of Pinnacle-its so easy and like someone said-you have so much control over audio. Any ideas??

Vern

GGRRRR!!! I spent weeks making a really nice movie, but it WOULD not create the DVD, without getting hungup.

The upgrade said it had fixed some of these things, so I upgraded, and still wouldn't create.

Now Im stuck with weeks of work down the drain. DO NOT BUY PINNACLE.

They should be sued for selling this junk and claiming you can use it to create DVDs when I believe the software is next to useless.

coastie

Yes and Yes, Ive tried reinstalling my 10.5 and guess what? I can't, I've tried cleaning things up.
I've just bought magix v 11 well worth checking out. Adobe Pro can be hard to use, but has some great things to offer.
1st Mar 07 10:03

Roaminrobin

Hi I am new to Video Editing and have been trying to use Pinnacle Studio 10 my latest problem is importing music, I can get tracks from a CD but is it possible to import music straight from the Hard Drive, if so could someone explain in easy to follow steps how to do this.

Dann\

I bought Adobe Premier 3.0 befor Christmas, and when I went to install it a box popped up and says, "your cpu does not support SSE2 code" and it aborted the install. ????? So I did some research on Wikpedia and discovered that my Athlon XP 2700+ is really no plus, it does not contain SSE2 code at all! And here I paid $130 canadain for this software I can't even use. Lucky for me the store manager felt sorry for me and returned my money.

And that's why I bought Pinnacle Studio Plus 10.5 Titanium edition to the tune of $90 Can. It installed easily and I fumbled with it until giving up, it just wasn't quite the same as Windows Movie Maker. I shelfed the project over Christmas and finally into February I restarted to try to figure out this load of crap. It crashes, runns flickin slow, and the worst of it is that the little preview screen doesn't work. What the hell can I do with a video editor that won't show the preview of the clip I'm working on??? I went online to see if it's just me and I found this long list of fellow complainers. I'm starting to think I threw $90 away. Unfortunately for me I need a new computer to run Adobe. Screw me.
23rd Feb 07 08:02

Mark

Agree with all thats gone before *dont buy* , my pc is two years old 1 gig of ram and wont even load just hangs there, no problems with any other software , in the bin with it .
21st Feb 07 12:02

JonMarz

What an amazing series of PERFECTLY ACCURATE comments! (Unfortunately)
I had Studio Plus 10.5 upgrade, which was running so slowly on a 3.2Ghz P4 with 1GB ram and 2 100GB SATA hard drives under Win/XP. It took several minutes just to get to the first screen to begin work. But wait - there's more! I thought THAT was bad. So when update 10.6 came along, I downloaded and installed that. Now it won't start at all! Every time I try to start the product, the launcher just spins up to 10% and stays there forever. The product never fully loads or starts up. And after this futile attempt and killing the application with the Task Manager, then my Internet connection doesn't work. I have been in mainframe data processing for over 35 years and have never seen such a poor product on the market. No company in the mainframe computer market would still be in business with a product like this. Only in the PC world do people apparently put up with such nonsense. DON'T!

I'll be looking into Adobe Premiere now. I don't have the time to waste on this garbage.

AND NEITHER DO YOU!

AndyP Cheltenham

Having spent the best part of last week trying to get version 10 Pinnacle to work - thinking the problem was my machine - I am somewhat relieved to hear all these comments. I wish I had found this site sooner. It simply does not work! I have tried the help line at Pinnacle after failing to find any valid instructions with the package and they have still yet to call me back after I carried out their instructions as requested -they failed to make any difference but they WERE going to call my later that day!! I reverted back to Pinnacle 9 but had a LOT of problems trying to re load that too, and came close to ditching the whole thing but we had so much on it in a nearly completed state that I had to continue. I guess I wasted 30hours on it in total - I wish we could bill some one for all this time but I guess we have to be content knowing we will not darken their door again and perhaps they will get to know that somehow (as if anyone cares!!!)

normanshlly

I totally agree that Pinnacle Studio 10 has serious problems. I have used versions 7, 8 & 9 without difficulty. Version 10 is packed full of excellent features but the crashes become exremely irritating. Pinnacle invite you to send a report about what you were doing they even provide the words "I was......." for you to complete. After numerous times I got bored with typing "just editing a project" so stopped sending them.

I am persistent and have tried five projects since June 2006 each time I have reverted back to Pinnacle 9. On the last occassion I managed to edit five hours of video down to one hour with only a few crashes. Thinking that a registry clean had perhaps helped in this I came to render it to put onto disc. It would not go beyond 7087 frames - about five minutes of video.

Nothing would pursaude it to go any further, I saved the project under different names thinking that I could work on one of these without ruining many hours of work, the result was that random scenes began appearing in all the copies. So it's back to version 9 with a promise to myself that I will not try 10 again until they have sorted it out.

In the meantime be aware that using Pinnacle Studio 10 can waste many hours of your hard work!

My computer - Pentium 4 @ 3Ghz, 1Gb ram, 880Gb hard disk space - No viruses!
3rd Feb 07 10:02

Abelarda Siopao

I confirm the review given is VERY TRUE!!! I am experiencing the same problem over and ober again. Beware from buying this software. It is genuinely a piece of CRAP.
2nd Feb 07 11:02

Jerry

I have studio 9.4.3 version and I have been successful with some projects but things got worse when rendering a movie. It would freeze up time after time. The technicians led me through many ways to solve the problem but ended in failure. After reading the comments on the newer version I would say to stay away from this product. There are big problems with it and they arn't dealing with it as they should. This shouldn't be sold with all it's problems.

Gandalfql

My experience with Pinnacle is no problems at all.
No random crashes, excellent workthrough over 200 DVD's professionally authored, converting from 16mm 8mm 2" Professioanl Video and VHS and Betamax.
I geared my machine up though, high end AGP Graphics Card, Secondary Studio Video Card, and 512Ram now 2gb DDR 440 Ram.
Runs sweet as a nut.

Carlos N

I too had problems with Studio 9 when I first purchased it. Consistently crashing on my during my projects, losing all the data, running sluggish.

Since I learned that it is best to have 2 physically separate hard drives, one for your application and one for all of your video, I have had no problems at all creating custom DVDs for my and my family.

There is a lot of data transfer between hard drive and application that having this setup is required. if you go to any of the video editing forums, this is mentioned.

If you want to stop with the headaches, invest in a new 300 Gig HD.

Kathy

Every one of the above complaints are valid! I have had studio 9.4 for 2 yrs now, I can't tell you all the problems I've had. Their support on all their products is this worst. I can't tell you how many times I have uninstalled and reinstall upon support recomendations just to fix problems and the product still crashes! Also, don't install the trial version of studio 10, you will never get studio 9.4 to work again, and their support will send you the same symptoms to fix it which don't work. They don't even read emails or listen to the problem, then escalates the situation, and you hear the same responses again. Upon problems I had with 9.4, they recommended the install of trial version 10 to see if my problems would go away, they didn't. So I unintalled (again) version 10 using their uninstall instructions....and guess what they didn't even work. Even though the product is uninstalled I'm receiving errors for studio 10 when executing 9.4. I just can't begin to discribe the horrible mess this product is and their customer service support is. So I would recommend you not even try pinnacle or purchase it!

Martin H

It really is ashame becuase this is so user friendly and not complicated at all. I am looking at other programs now and will not touch Pinnacle ever again I am afraid to say.

Craig Carter

I have used Studio version 7, 8 and currently 9.4.3 which up until now,has been fine and I have produced nearly 20 hour-long DVD projects.
Now, my latest project just hangs a few minutes from the end of the final render so I tried it on all three of my computers and got the same problem. Clearly, its my project that is at fault but having tried a bunch of variations, I now have to admit defeat.

I was going to try the 10.5 trial but I am rather reluctant now, having read everyone's comments. I could be on my way to another piece of software which is rather a shame.

Martin H

This has to be the worst video editing software ever. So many problems, so many crashes, nice user friendly interface...I am putting my pinnacle version 9.0 in the bin where it belongs..Not upgrading to a newer version as it seems there are many problems even with newer versions..I do not recommend Pinnacle to anyone and should be taken off the market. Has caused me so much frustration and has messed my pc up from day1.

baldeagle

I have been using studio 10 for the last couple of weeks and had done two 30 minute DVDs.But I will keep an eye on this system after readind all those comments.

Paropilot

Not surprised to hear that so many people are having problems with Pinnacle Studio 10. I’ve found that that earlier versions of Pinnacle cannot be fully de-installed and cause conflicts during subsequent installations or upgrades.
If you really must buy it, I'd advise going for Studio Plus at the start. On no account should anyone try to upgrade the others because Pinnacle software just isn't up to it. Similarly, it's impossible to de-install earlier versions of Studio without much hassle. Above all, back up all their data first as there is great risk of losing it as happened to me.
I have been very pleased with Pinnacle Studio 8 software purchased in 2004 so I downloaded the Studio 10 trial from the Pinnacle website. This worked well but after my one-month trial I could not re-install Studio 8 as instructed by Pinnacle. This proved impossible as I received various error messages.
I purchased Studio 10.6 and encountered similar problems. Three full screens on the Pinnacle website address Studio 10 installation issues, still more deal with update issues. The Studio 10 manual contains 12 pages devoted to crashes and hangs (pp228-240).
Next day my computer refused to start. The registry had been corrupted by previous attempted installs and de-installs of Studio 8 and 10. I had to pay for recovery of data and re-format of my hard disc.Beware Pinnacle’s Regdelete tool!
In 20 years of digital publishing I have never known a computer programme so filled with bugs. Go for Adobe Premiere instead, it may not do quite as much but it’s stable.

Marineone

WE are currently uninstalling version 10.07. Crashes at 20 min. into making any movie. wasted over 100.00 for this piece of junk. I wish someone would start a class action suite against pinnicle for this money ripoff.
31st Dec 06 11:12

Johnny Walker

Pinacle must have the worst customer service record in the history of software. It is just disgusting and a joke. Pinnacle 8 was the last semi stable version and even that had problems. Since then things have got worse and verison 9 and 10 are an absolute disaster. Version 9 constantly crashes and 10 is just a joke! I would never buy Pinnacle products again!
31st Dec 06 02:12

Fernando

And did you already try to install, yes, I said install, the new patch 10.7?

More than a nightmare, for me was an "impossible task"!
I asked Pinnacle for help 2 weeks ago. Got several nice answers but no solution at all.
Beware of this patch!!!

Ashlar

Malta: I had a similar problem when I first started using 9.4, I found that doing the capture in AVI format stopped the problems, it also helps to have a good capture card.

MALTA

When I first started using studio 9 it was fine but now I am having trouble, it drops a lot of frames and also its out of syncronazation the audio dont match with the picture. Can someone help me please? Thanks.

Sonia

I have been using Studio Plus for about a year with much success (producing 20-25 family movies.) I did upgrade 10 but had lots of problems, but thought that it was mostly user error. After reading info on this site, I realize it's probably the product. I have never been able to successfully use v10. I attempted to install it twice, but removed it after too many problems.

Kiwi McD

yep....me too ! Bought StudioPlusV10 to edit something special for my wifes upcoming birthday...& man was that one big mistake. Started well...but then the problems of continual crashing started to the extent that now it crashes 100% of the time on startup. Have tried everything to solve , even meditation to ease the frustration. Absolutely useless piece of program code I've ever bought & $300 down the tubes.
3rd Dec 06 01:12

Sara

I think I'll just be using this for the pip feature and green screen effect. It has some nice effects dont get me wrong but it is very sluggish. Right now, Im trying everything in my power to reinstall it. I had to uninstall it because there were parts of the program that somehow ended up on my desktop (rendering folder etc). well I wish I hadnt bothered because now the program wont reinstall!!! It Crashes everytime and somehow afterwards my Internet connection is disconnected and everything crashes so I have to reboot. Ive spent more hours trying to get things working than I have spent making movies :(

Shawn

I have been using Pinnacle 9.0 and upgraded to the lastest sub version of 9.0. I have no problem capturing video to PC but when it comes to rendering, it crashes and crashes and crashes time after time. I do have an external hard drive, because my laptop's internal drive is almost full. I also get "write delay error" which could be the hard drives fault or the software. I went and bought 10.5 version today, but after reading the comments, I am going to return it since everyone says it works worst that version 9.0 I don't know why some PC magazines give such high remarks to pinnacle software. I do admit that their hardware "DV convertor box" works well but now have to find a decent software that works with their box.

W in Texas

I can't even get the stupid software to load. Now have tried four times, and it crashes on the second disc every time. Anyone know how to get a refund?
21st Nov 06 11:11

Stevey T.

I am also a software engineer by trade (20 years). I had limited success with Pinnacle Studio 9 and was able to produce some acceptable projects. I thought Microsoft had serious problems until I installed Pinnacle Studio 10. It is incomprehensible that a company would allow this garbageware to be released into the market. Plan on spending 10x the amount of time recovering from crashes and re-doing your projects over and over THAN actually producing something worth watching. The Pinnacle software engineers should be ashamed of themselves. As for their customer support...don't bother. You've got a better chance of your grandmother figuring out what's wrong with this junk. After 6 months of frustation I couldn't get this junk off my system fast enough.

PipeDream

An interesting series of scenarios. I had used Pinnacle Studio from version 8, purchased 9.0 then upgraded to 9Plus. I have had less problems than most, but I have had my fair share of untimely crashes.
I do know what I am doing when it comes to computers and their associated software, as I am an Electronics and software engineer developing and writting industrial control applications, which have to be bug free.
I can not understand how a company with the resources that Avid has, and a reputation of producing some of the best media software in the world can put to market a piece of rubbish called Studio 10.5 and, and then have the ordasity to charge the consumer for it. If I did this I would be out of business in no time.
Personal message to Pinnacle "Poor Effort Guys throw the code in the garbage and next time do it properly".
I now do not use Studio I have progressed to an excellent product called Canopus Eduis Pro 3, and have just recently purchaced Eduis Pro 4 upgrade. The beauty with this product is... it just works.
And Ulead DVD Workshop great for DVD Authoring.

Charles A.

I had Studio 9 Plus and although it is full of bugs I was able to complete projects which came out pretty good.

I've upgraded to Studio 10 (applied the 10.6) patch and I can't even believe this company is still in business. It is TERRIBLE. I can't make it through a session without it crashing. Now I'm fighting the "XML Parsing" error and can't even get this garbage to come up. I will definitely be looking for an alternative.

ihsin

I started with Pinnacle Studio 8. It was *buggy*, but I managed to know the bugs, work around the bugs, and produce what I want. Reasonably happy. Then I bought 10.5. What a lousy product. I am a software engineer/manager for over 10 years. I can't believe how bad Pinnacle's engineering managers/QA is. Every click I do takes 1 minute, and 10 clicks down the road the thing crashes.

I heard the Mac side (iMovie? FinalCut Pro?) is good. Any idea?

slbenton1

I currently use Studio 9.4 and have absolutely no problems... I have rendered everything from 4-minute slide shows to 30 minute videos of stills and camcorder footage. I was considering upgrading to studio 10 but after all these postings I will definitely STAY AWAY! In fact, I jsut bought my dad v 10.5 as a gift but will call him and warn him to AVOID INSTALLING IT!
23rd Oct 06 05:10

toto2

For people who knew or used pinncale before they got smart and decided to write their own software, there was premier bundled with their hardware. Those were the times things really worked. Ever since upgrading to the STUDIO DELUXE bundled software, everything went south ! Version after version... it just got worst and worst. My recommendation is to get Premier and elements and you are all set. Don't let the price turn you off unless you think that your time is worthless and have nothing better in life to do, then go buy Studio. Try also ULEAD DVD Movie Factory... it's not as stable as Premier but it's loads cheaper AND doesn't require you to have a seperate computer just to run it or uninstall everything you have on the computer to run it ! I have BOTH Premier and Studio and I NEVER had a crash with Premier and it is not sluggish like Studio. Enough of this... it's been 5 months since I bought the "NEW" studio and it still has not managed to work. Best thing that came out of this is whole exercise is that I can now just use the emails I had with Pinnacle and publish a novel !
22nd Oct 06 08:10

knightmare

I have made a couple of successful videos with Pinnacle 10.5 (10-20 mins) but not without problems. About half of my time is spent on software technical issues. The 10.6 patch only increased the number of problems.

I have uninstalled the patch and still use 10.5 for some things. I have found that different video editing software packages have different strengths and weaknesses. At least the cheap home versions do. So I find myself using as many as 3 different packages to complete a single project.

If Pinnacle wants to use the public for software testing, they should offer a free beta version to a large number of people on the condition that they report any issues they have.

TrevN

I have been using Studio Plus 9.4.3 for six months and, although I have had problems, I have produced several big projects successfully. I love the interface; better than anything else I have tried. Rendering large projects appears to hang but be patient. It seemed to be hanging half way through rendering until I tried this: Press <ctrl><alt><del> and check the performance graphs. Even though nothing was happening on the Studio 9 screen, the processor was chugging away at 50% usage. I waited. I waited some more. And eventually my project popped out on a DVD. Magic. After reading the comments on this page I'm going to stay well away from Version 10.

TIOBILL

Oh my! everything you say it is true.
This program sucks sooo much I can´t even believe it. I have been using this program for years, since version 7 but never had so many problems as in veersion 10.6. I don´t know what to do! I talked with the technical service and they don´t have a clue! I tried everything to make the system work ( Dell Precision 670 DUAl XEON 3.0 Ghz processor + 2 gbyte RAM etc...) It crashes every 20 seconds. I have a spare system HD only for Sudio 10.6 with no other aplication installed, other HD for the files (even have a RAID but had to uninstall it cause STUDIO kept spoiling it) even all the hardware is unabled in this HD, it´s only a system for STUDIO but it keeps crashing. I reinstalled Windows, It crashes, I changed the video card, it crashes, I made all the tests they told me, it keeps on crashing... The only solution they told me is to run the program in other computer to check out if it crashes too. As I see many of you have problems too so I think maybe it´s a clear case for demanding to the consumer office here in Spain. I´ll demand a money back or a technician that comes to my computer and makes the software work or at least, that tells me what is wrong in my system (that only crashes with STUDIO 10.6)

Frustrated Canuck

Okay so I seem to have the same problem as everyone, my studio 9 keeps crashing!!! Does anyone have a program that works?

Joeley

I've used most of Pinnacle's previous products. V10 totally sucked. Now I'm back to V9 Plus and for the first time I keep getting memory error messages then crash! I've got 2 Gig of memory and a fast processor. I spent over 2 hours (today) on the phone with their live help...that was a joke. When their closing time came my call was dumped. I will NEVER NEVER NEVER buy another Pinnacle Product. NEVER!

Jan

I been using pinnacle 9.4 for almost 2 yrs, authored a whole lot of movies too... but am afraid Im gonna stick to this version. Pinnacle is using consumers to test their new upgrades/versions so lets stick to the 1 that works :)

rkhanso

I've used Pinnacle Studio Plus 9.4.3 successfully for a few DVD's. It is easy to use and has a lot of good features. The price is also good. You can choose easy mode, or really get detailed in your production - it's very flexible. I've never had it crash at any time.

MikeyB

This software SUCKS (Slow, locksup, can't upgrade, poor support, etc)! That’s what I wrote to Pinnacle support. I was like you, it’s just a point level patch, what could that do? Well, after hours back and forth with Pinnacle support. I just restore my system from a system image a week old. I tried every thing support told me. Uninstall, Reinstall, etc, etc, etc. My poor XP OS did not know what end was up. I am staying on my 10.5.2 release, until I purchase a new MAC. I will never purchase other product from this company.

Why don’t these folks realize there is something wrong with this patch (10.6)?
22nd Sep 06 08:09

A software engineer

I am a software engineer (Windows, Unix, Linux, etc...) with 10+ years of experience, so I consider myself to be, well, I basically make living writing software program like these, but not this buggy. I wanted to digitize my daughter’s old video tapes. But, the Pinnacle Studio 10 was "Absolute Challenge" indeed. I have quite a collection of machines and hardware, but I just could not finish one task with this software. I don't know what engineering manager at Pinnacle is/was thinking? Then, I tried Nero Ultra 7, which was also another complete waste of my money and time. I just cannot believe quality of software has gotten so bad these days. Two non functional software, $200. All of the time I spent trying to make them work, priceless. For everything else… there is Master card…. p.s. for fun, I sent Pinnacle Studio 10 to my QA department of 25 people. No one was able to complete one task during 5 days of testing. This is kind of fun you can have, when you are a VP of R&D.
21st Sep 06 11:09

Eddie

I have used Studio 9 successfully for over a year,and have recently purchased v.10.5. I have produced a project on this,but am unable to load 'st' files previously made on v.9. All I get is the v.9 logo window.
21st Sep 06 08:09

Ashlar

Yup, it's confirmed. If you want what was a basic feature in 9.4 in version 10.6 you had better buy the plus edition. Pinnacle is finding ways of sucking more money for an inferior product.

ashlar

I was using stuido 9.4 and it was a great program, no issues after installing the 9.4 patch. I have made several dvd's and have been quite happy with it. I have now installed 10.5 with the 10.6 patch and now I'm finding that some of the basic features I had in 9.4 are only available if I want to buy in 10.6. I now have email support thing going on but I'm not holding out for a good outcome.

bluesilver

I'm a pinnacle user for over 2 years now.. I found no problem using it. Well, basically it will depends on what your computer specifications are. There are new "branded computers" out there but it doesn't mean that it will run properly with the software, that's why lot of people having problem with it. It would be better if you're going to use a computer that is technically designed for video editing use.. Pinnacle software have the most user friendly interface way much better than premiere.

Starduster

For those of you reading this site, here is what fixed Studio 10.5 for me. After many many crashes, I decided to restart my computer in "Safe Mode". Un-install Studio 10.5 and the upgrade patch "Studio 10.6". Once un-installed, I rebooted the computer. Once again after the reboot I started in "Safe Mode" and reinstalled "Studio 10.5". Again reboot then. Again install patch 10.6 in "Safe Mode". Now reboot to normal windows XP start up. For me, the program worked OK. I did avery small video and it burned OK.

Starduster

I wish I had looked here before buying Studio 10.5 Titanium. So far I have 10 pages of e-mails from me to pinnacle support and back but still no fixes for my problem. It crashes as soon as I open the program. I had 512 gig's or ram so decided to bite the bullet and up grade to 1.5 gig's, still no change.

WildOrchard

I just ran across this site today, and "yes" I to am so fustrated with Pinnacle. I have worked with it for 2 years now and the product sucks! I have called customer support for help but all they want me to do is uninstall and re-install. Still don't work! I wish I would have known about this site before, my blood pressure would be normal today. I am like the posting earlier, I keep tossing Pinnacle into a bin and pull it out every once in a while thinking I can get it to run correctly without crashing.This weekend it crashed 11 times before while making a retirement video for my manager. Our Party is Tuesday and so far my movie has been rendering for 23 hrs. hehe! what a joke!

RR

I wasted a hundred bucks on Studio 10. I was
thinking in needed more ram, but reading some of comments on here the problem isn't just about memory. This program just plain sucks. I can only work on it for a short time and it crashes. Please someone suggest a better program to buy.

jannan

I purchased Pinnacle 10 for a school district project, which meant we had the support of the techncial dept.. to install and maintain the program; but not even our professionals have been able to install this program and make it work properly. Specifically an xml parsing error keeps popping up and the program shuts itself down. The teck dept. even built a computer to accomodate the program (memory, speed) but no luck. This situation must be disastrous for the company that produces this program, as having so much time and money trying to install this program, we will surely never touch this brand again.

apoteke

I've used Studio ver 9 for a couple years. I love the interface. I love the way it puts the effects together. It is intuitive for trimming clips and putting in transitions and menus.

My problem is the compouter freezes during rendering. I would be happy to go to studio ver 10 if this problem is fixed, but I'm not encouraged with the posts here.

Bertolluci

The gullible public is used as a testing site. Don't waste good money, it is useless. Try to burn a DVD more than 3 minutes - forget it. Waste hundreds of hours reading about the problems and downloading so-called fixes - you'e got it.

Adobe Lover!

I recently bought the version 10 I have contacted the company and a computer store near where I live. But...all I get is a strobe affect when ever I run the program. My computer has everything to handle the software but it still won't work. I think I should have stayed with the Adobe. In fact I am going back to it!

I still don't like Pinnacl

Novice? Maybe not anymore! I think the fact that I kept at it for a few weeks until the clip was finished exactly as I wanted it is testament to my patience don't you think? Loosing hours worth of work will frustrate even the most patient man. I wanted my clip EXACTLY the way I imagined it. I got there in the end also with the help of tools such as VirtualDub - which in my opinion IS a truly amazing piece of software.

Incidentally, your hardware is much higher spec than mine. I have a 1.6ghz Athlon XP, 128MB GeForce4 and a gig of ram. Everything worked fine until the movie got to a certain length.
21st Jun 06 09:06

Gunny

I have used pinnacle products for about a year now, (am using studio 10.5.2.2 now) and am convinced it is the best product on the market for the money. I would not suggest the program for the novice or a person who frustrates easily, the program can be temperamental, but with a little patience, the rewards are an un-paralleled video that rivals professional digital editing. The processor speed is less important (3 gigahertz is enough) than a good 256 Meg FX video card and 2 gigabytes of DDR Ram. Use a separate drive to render, store and burn your DVD’s (an external 250 USB drive that spins at 7500 RPM and is formatted in NTFS works great). Invest in a digital flat screen that has digital output; this results in a pure digital transfer without the need to transfer analog to digital. Close all of your back ground programs when you use pinnacle, and the Sony products seem to work better than other media. This is an amazing program, that allows you to transpose incredibly complex special effects editing for a nominal cost. I don’t think its fair for pinnacle to get the bad rap because of novice users and the easily frustrated.
21st Jun 06 05:06

Peter Evans

I would like to know if anybody in the whole world has finished a project with Studio without it crashing. Currently whenever I start Studio it turns off the ext hard drive so I can't capture

MaryK

I tried Pinnacle Studio to edit my daughter's graduation video. The crashes are getting to be more frequent. Is there something in particular that's causing the crashes, or is there a way to avoid it? I'm not doing anything really fancy. Time is running out, and my daughter is near tears.

rjonz

Too right - I could do with fewer exotic features if Studio 9/10 worked. Pinnacle sucks a lot of us in because they promise a simple user interface and a long market presence (surely it must work by now, version 10.5 gees!). Don't buy their products and they will either get it together or go out of business. As buggy as their product is who cares if it is orphaned.

Jock

Pinnacle studio sucks, that's for sure. I've used it quite a lot myself and run into loads of problems. You're better off with Adobe.