Petrol prices and fuel tax too high in the UK

I read in the news recently that oil giant BP has unveiled record first-half profits on the back of rising world demand for oil.  The price of petrol at the pump is climbing through the roof and yet they still have to rub our faces in it with this announcement.  In the headlines today it was reported that the cost of a barrel of crude oil is above $65 for the first time on record.  What will BP do now?  Will they announce a windfall for their shareholders just to rub salt into the wounds?

It just makes my blood boil, because every other day on the way to work when I stop for petrol, I see yet again that the price of fuel has crept up a little.  We know that demand for oil has increased due to developing countries.  We also know that there are supply problems because of wars and natural events and therefore expect price increases from time to time.  We do not appreciate however, the major oil companies such as BP, Shell, Texaco and Esso etc... flaunting their bloated profits right in front of us whilst the price of petrol is going up at the pumps.

Petrol station, high fuel prices, petrol prices too high price of petrol going up... makes us resentful

That kind of thing makes the public very resentful, and fuel protests of 2000 showed that we are more than capable of making them sit up and take notice if we have to.

Oh and let us not forget the cut our government gets in the form of fuel tax!  We dont see them stepping in to help us out do we?

If they actually took all that money and ploughed it into researching alternative forms of energy such as hydrogen storage or fuel cells, it would be quite acceptable.  I get the feeling that it is being squandered somewhere else instead though.

When the price of oil goes up, petrol prices go up...

The bottom line is, when the price of oil goes up, petrol prices go up, so too does the cost of living.  It costs more to manufacture and transport goods, so industry tends to naturally pass that on to you and me, the consumer!  Because of our dependence on oil were slowly being squeezed from all directions.

Thanks to the greed of the major oil companies, not forgetting of course our money grubbing government; we work hard to earn a living so that we can line the pockets of some fat cat scoundrels who are busy telling us how much money they have made out of us!

Theres absolutely no justice anymore. So maybe it's time for blockades at the refinery and go-slow convoys on the motorway again.

Some sites that may be of interest

Ways of cutting the cost of petrol
With the price of petrol rising due to volatile oil prices here are some tips to help you keep a rein on your monthly fuel budget.  Remember it's not just about cheaper petrol, it's about using less, making it go further or not using the car at all.

CORNISHBABE

I have an Astra 1.9 CDTI, and have been having trouble with it for the past 12 months, found out yesterday speaking to a specialist car parts dealer that it was the supermarket fuel that we had been using. He said that he had had hundreds of people with the same problem. I have used TESCO fuel in the past and the car ended up in the garage, luckily it was still under warranty, I have been using MORRISON'S fuel as we have only supermarket fuel stations in our area didn't think this was as bad, was I wrong. He reccommended using an additive to help clean the turbo etc and only use fuel from a desent garage(Shell, BP etc) I will now have to go out of my way to do this. I think it is disgusting that we are paying £1.39.9 a litre from the supermarket fuel stations and it damages your car as well!! If you have a high performance diesel, DON'T TOUCH SUPERMARKET FUEL WITH A BARGE POLE!! it will wreck your car. I never knew this until yesterday, so please spread the word!!!!!

Jethro

Fred E, I have just been reading some of your past posts and realize that you are a bike rider and do not own a car. In saying that, I must agree with most of what you say about cars. My point was regarding the high level of fuel prices in the UK and if these will ever be reduced?

Jethro

Fred E,"when you work out how much people spend on their cars fuel is a small proportion"
Are you serious?

Fred E

Surely if the roads are overcrowded and in a terrible state of repair you would want less car usage rather than more? I don't really see many signs of people modifying their behaviour and using less fuel because of high prices but I do hear lots of moaning. From what I hear people are good at bleeding themselves. The number of people who tell me it is sensible to buy new cars every three years on various loans, leases etc when you work out how much people spend on their cars fuel is a small proportion. I do see quite a few motorists who would benefit from a bit of starving - I was only thinking the other day you don't see many slim taxi drivers.

Jethro

The British have a love affair with their cars, the goverment knows this, so do the oil companies. The UK's road are overcrowded and in a terrible state of repair. So,may I ask, do people think for one moment that the price of fuel will drop, or will this administration continue to bleed the motorist knowing that drivers would rather starve than give up their "precious".

Rover

I have just noticed that oil prices are now the same as 1 year ago. USD exchange rate is the same yet we are paying still paying £1.35 at the pumps and a year ago it was about £1.15. How does that work. Has the government sneaked in some more tax or are we being ripped off as usual ?

Rover

Check this article out. We paying £1.35, other counties - 2p a litre http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/The-cheapest-petrol-world-yahoofinanceuk-978605645.html

Treehugger

All I hear is haulage companies bleating about their running costs and the price of diesel, but when I drive the M6 every other vehicle is a lorry. They keep whining that their industy is on the point of collapse unless the government gives them special treatment over fuel, I say increase the price and lets see less traffic on the roads. Too many people in this country what more, more, more.

Fred E

I think the increase in fuel duty and increasing insurance costs has had a beneficial effect in reducing motor vehicle usage. Previous projections of traffic usage indicated our roads would soon be gridlocked whereas at least where I live the roads seem to be a little quieter now. The M6 toll road is carrying approx half the vehicle numbers projected. It unfortunately means the rich can do whatever they want while the poor are restricted but all other suggestions for road charging are so resisted by the public that high fuel duty seems to be the best way. I would go one step further and say abolish vehicle tax and put the cost onto fuel.

Oi

I find it beyond irritating that petrol stations have to make the price ***.9p everywhere - because we are all too stupid to realise the actual price.

Largely arbitary anyway since motorists have pretty much no choice.

Cretin retailers.

J man

People, people face facts, please.
Yes, the greatest proportion of the fuel price is tax, but you must ask why and address that.
We, as a nation, appear to be sending aid to every other country on the planet and are involved in two dubious & expensive wars. We are the dumping ground for Europe's dross that we now seem obliged to take in and then have to support them financially. This all costs money, a lot of money and what is a soft target? - fuel.
There is no point in whingeing - write to your MP and complain about the root cause.

Terenceclg

The Price a Petrol is dropping like a brick in the USA, over 50 cents a gallon has come off the price in last 4 weeks, so why not England. Who is fixing the price to make us pay more in RIP OFF UK

Ex-Rover 400 Man

From 1998 to 2000, petrol prices per litre went from 64.9p to 84.9p in 2 years. Thats only 20p but was enought to create the fuel protests that blocked the refineries. From 2009 to 2011 it has gone from 84.9p to 134.9p which works out 50p per litre. How is it that a rise in 20p can create the 2000 fuel protests but a rise in 50p has created nothing. Are us British idiots going soft. I wish a load of us would bring the country to a halt again. I estimate of that 50p rise, 35p probably just in tax.

Also, before someone says that I should buy a smaller car and it be more economical, dont, I have just srapped my car because I cant aford the petrol and rising insurance. its now taking me an hour to get to work and back on a push bike. It maybe a nice summers day now but im not looking forward to winter. I am still feeling the pinch in rising fuel prices cause it causes inflation which I notice all the time when I pay my bills and weekly shopping. We need to act now before no one can afford to pay for anything in this country.
1st May 11 12:05

pjincs

Yeah MMG Cameron's too busy with faffing around with his suit for that damn wedding tomorrow to worry about the likes of Mr Average!

miserablemoaninggit

Jethro, you are pathetically pathetic, the admission of a person who has lost his miserable little presumptive - psychologically revealing! - arguments. Irrelevant! Small! Oh, it's 'goodbye', not 'goodby' . . .dear me!
I'm hoping that after the AV vote, the government will be forced to concentrate its mind upon the ever-rising cost of petrol/diesel. I noticed today in my local Morrisons garage that the price has almost risen to £1.40 per litre for diesel. Incredible! Where is the fuel price regulator? Died a death it seems. Let the blockades begin to role!

jethro

miserablemoaninggit, All you have in your life is abuse and anger. Your handle has been added to my auto delete. goodby.

miserablemoaninggit

Jethro, lie in the gutter as much as you want whilst people walk all over of you, with the occasional 'piss' raining down on your head. It's because of people like you that we are in the state we are in, with the rich getting richer, the cuts not being fair, the bankers still get their disgusting salaries and bonuses, and a government of public school boys who wouldn't know the cost of a potato. If the cuts were fair, then I would be more willign to accept them, but they simply are not! Get out of the gutter, raise your head high, and start protesting, loud and clear.

Jethro

Miserablemoaninggit, Face the facts, Protests will not reduce the price of crude oil. Waving banners on public sector marches will not reduce the cost of crude oil, You can demonstrate all you want but the price of world oil is going to stay the same or rise even higher. This country is broke and we must all pay the price with cuts and interest rate rises. The biggest cuts will come from the public sector. If you cannot accept this you are in for a rough ride.

miserablemoaninggit

Hey Twinkle, you are right, of course. Petrol prices are way too high. Jethro clearly is a complete, idiotic, idiot who does not realise that petrol prices are far too high and that the people who drive smaller cars are probably on a lesser income and, therefore, proportionately are paying just as much as a gas guzzler owner. Twinkle, I sympathise and empathise completely and entirely!

Jethro

Twinkle, The advice to buy a smaller car is aimed at people who drive gas guzzlers for show then whinge that the price of fuel is too high and they cannot manage, its not aimed at people like yourself.

Twinkle

For those saying buy a smaller car, I have a 1.2 petrol and still go through £45 weekly!! Thats just going to work!

Jethro

Just as I thought, a whinging public sector worker who's in for the chop.
22nd Apr 11 11:04

miserablemoaninggit

Hey Jethro, you presume a lot in your post you rather sad, probably quiet pathetic, certainly stupid little man. I do have a small car already - purchased specifically because of the high cost of fuel in this country. I walk when I can, and have resurrected my bicycle. As for persuading this government to do something about it, I've already attended 2 protest marches against the government cuts, and have even been recorded on both radio and in my local newspaper commenting about the 'unfairness' of it all. Not directly petrol related, but probably much more than you. Go away Jethro, crawl back to your dark, rather damp little space, and congratulate yourself on the fact that you are able to well afford the price of fuel. Notice, I have not felt any need to completely capitalise words in my post!
22nd Apr 11 11:04

Jethro

miserablemoaninggit...Oh you angry person. When you say"We are talking about the UK", what are YOU prepared to do about the high cost of fuel? As I thought, nothing, because there's nothing little people can do but moan. I suggest you write a letter to Mr Cameron telling him how angry you are. As pension boy said, buy a smaller car if you cann't manage.
22nd Apr 11 10:04

miserablemoaninggit

Portugal? Why the hell are you bleating about Portugal? We are talking about the UK, not some tin-pot country! Dear me!
22nd Apr 11 09:04

The Greed of Governments

In Portugal running a car costs even more. Cars costs 25% more to buy in the first place. You pay €1 to drive 13 kms on the motorways everywhere. Petrol is €1.58 per litre.

BTW the motorways in PT are empty.
22nd Apr 11 09:04

Public sector pension boy

Stop bleating, get rid of the gas gusler and buy a small car if you are finding it hard to manage. Yes, the neighbours will laugh at you but it will only last a short time before they find someone else to ridicule!
21st Apr 11 04:04

miserablemoaninggit

What happened to all the talk about the fuel price regulator, or whatever it was called. Osbourne stops a mere one pence fuel rise and that's it? I agree with Houndog! We need to start the protests. Maybe if the LibDems lose the AV vote, then the government will start having to focus on 'real' problems like fuel prices.
21st Apr 11 03:04

Houndog

every year with out fail the govenment incresses the duity /tax on fuel it is not just the car owner that is being ripped off, every man woman in the country is, the cost of every thing we buy goes up because of the excessive taxes the govenment takes.

Oil companys well there is supply and demarnd but still profits are high and will remain so as long as the public bow down to both govenment and oil comanies.
Make these people sit up bolck the roads and distrbution centers untill they redice prices. I have seen this done in several countrys world wide with quick change of direction by govenment and supplies alike it's time for action people.
21st Apr 11 02:04

Jethro

Mr Osbourne says he's going to scrap the one pence fuel tax increase this budget to help motorists, so that equates to another 10,000 public service workers to get the chop and public sector gold plated pensions will also have to take a hit.So now you know just how much tax they collect on fuel.

JIM.

start a protest now....dont know how to. go about it but I want to be at the front

Jethro

If you think fuel is too expensive now just wait until the start of the summer driving season( if Libya is still in termoil). Some reports from world wide oil byers predict £2 a litre. Try filling up that X6 tank then!!!

Tezswat

Fed up with being ripped off in this country. Why do the so called great British public always roll over and go belly up? I think government and big business men rely on this.
2nd Mar 11 06:03

Al

I don't understand. BP, Shell et al pull the oil out of the ground at source and then sell it direct us on their forecourts.

How the hell can events in Libya add 5p a litre?

I don't buy the supply and demand argument. production increases year on year. This model only works when supply might run out due to stockpiling.

Biderberg group.

James

In China the government subsidise the petrol prices. It costs £30 a tonne! out there.
23rd Feb 11 08:02

Trigger

How is it that West Texas Oil is £88 a ballel and Brent (North Sea) £101. They used to be really similiar about a month ago. Has Cameron shut down some north Sea Oil Platforms to screw more money out of us Brits.

Grumpy old Mark

So glad that there are people out there who are similarly alarmed by this issue.
But don't completely blame the oil companies !
Currently the oil companies are charging around £0.45 per litre for petrol and diesel.
The rest is tax !!! (ie. around £0.85 per litre)
The oil companies have to find the oil, drill it out, refine it, distribute it, and build / run petrol stations. For half the price per litre of major cola drinks.
The government has to do ... doodly squat for their 85p per litre.
The fact is we are so heavily taxed in this country it is criminal.
Today, if you are a single man on the 'average' wage, who drives, smokes and drinks, you are likely to be paying close to 70% of your earnings in tax.
Income tax, national insurance, council tax, VAT, fuel duty, insurance tax, car tax, alcohol duty, tobacco duty, tax on interest on savings, airline tax, the list just goes on and on and on.
In our history books we learn that in the middle ages the 'lords of the manor' used to impose a wicked 'tythe' on the serfs and occupants of his land. It was seen as unjust, unfair, and cruel. The 'tythe' however, was set at 10%.
Going back to fuel prices. Just think about this little gem ... There are over 30 million vehicles on our UK roads. If we give a reasoable average of a fill-up costing around £60 (which is very reasonable considering freight vehicles / buses / coaches etc), then the government are taking around 70% of that - or around £42. Now if you consider an average fill-up period of one week, it calculates that the governemnt are taking a staggering one and a quarter billion pounds per week from fuel duty alone !!!!
Where is all this money going ?
That is without even starting on income tax, nat insurance, council tax, or VAT at 20%.
The tax burden has to be drastically reduced before we can even start to think about getting Britain out of the sh1t.

Roscoe

Totally and utterly fed up with the price of fuel in this country,do the governmentreally think we will put up with these crazy prices for much longer,as an oil producing country we should not be paying through the nose .the oil,gas,and electric companys,oh and the powers at be are screwing us to the floor,so come on britain stand up.a very fed up and skint

Brown

I concur. This tax on tax with our Petrol and Diesel is just going to put up costs to our business. We cant pass this cost on to consumers as they have already tightened up there belts. There could be even less work for us when duty goes up 5p as customers wont have the money to spend on our services. If we have to make people redundant, then they will claim benefits, Cameron will loose there tax and national insurance contributions, thus he be shooting himself in the foot.

Tax on Petrol and Diesel prices must come down to get people spending again and the money moving around this economy.
21st Jan 11 09:01

Jason

We agree with your article, increased prices are crippling our business! If the government are getting increased tax revenue, then they must give more tax relief to small business taxation such as reducing Corporation Tax from 21% back down to 19% - otherwise we will have no alternative but to make redundencies - therefore even more unemployment for UK! Small private businesses are struggling so how can the government expect us to pick up and employ public sector redundencies? They are all living in cloud cuckoo land!!!

VanRomPuyArse

I stared driving in 1973, petrol then cost 34 pence a GALLON yes that is not a misprint, 34 pence a GALLON, it is bloody ridiculous what we pay now in the UK and what makes it even worse is that we have our own oil from the North sea, all governments who tax fuel at this level should be bloody ashamed but I am sure if we could run cars on water they would find some way of taxing that.

Self Employed

How is it that when oil prices were $147 a barrell we we paying £1.25 a litre, yet when oil is now $90 a barrell we are paying £1.30. I reckon that the government have added 15p a litre in tax over the last 2 years.

Cameron says we are all in it together and the revenue is needed to get through these rough times. However, people will pay the price no matter what, even at £2.00 a litre. This means poeople will have less money on home improvements. Thus im getting less work, increased fuel costs, less money to food on table, wont be long before I sign on cause its not going to be worth my while working soon. Might as well use my van to block an oil refinery.

cracker

its now £1.29.9 unleaded £1.34.9 diesel its time to protest now, no ifs or buts.

freeman

hi we keep complaining but what are we doing as people as citizens as electors,why do we take it as a fatality,we can do a lot,we can stop buying petrol for a short time,we can go and protest,why the british people is not united

peck peck 77

Do a fuel protest now and go to jail, I think they changed the law to make it a terr*rist offence to lie down on the road or otherwise block a fuel depot, classed like scaring people because no fuel or upsetting the wheels of big money high society business...

user10457

Hydrogen Fuel cell powered cars are doing well where they are being tested abroad, but getting the fuel for them is an issue here in the UK and Europe, and I can see insuarance companies being very awkward with them as well when they do start selling in large numbers.
As for the Electric cars, the Lithium for Batteries is being supplied at present mainly from South American countries, where they are inclined at any moment to fall out with western countries that provoke them or anger them in any way, the lithium is shipped to locations such as Canada for separation and milling, then shipped to places such as the UK or Europe for refining, before being shipped to as far away as China to be made into a paste/Gel that then goes on to countries as far away as Japan to be made into Cells, going full circle back to South America, the USA, Canada, the UK and Europe, a journey all in of tens of thousands of miles to produce completed Batteries, which will then probably be shipped overseas for final disposal at the end of useful service life..

user10457

There are a lot of big companies out there, and Banks and Insurance companies/pension funds etc that want to see Oil eeked out to the very last drop, I am sure that the government will be wanting Duty and VAT at the full rate on the veg oil Bio diesel soon if not already, the Electric cars are about three times the price of a normal car, dont have the responsiveness to get out of a dangerous situation (such as escape from being crushed by an overtaking lorry in difficulty etc) and there is no infrastructure for them, which will take years to set up.
The battery technology is improving very quickly so that they have a little longer range and take only 2 hours or so for a full charge, but at present they have a range of about 70 - 80 miles, which wont get you safely between 2 cities and who wants to wait 2 hours for a charge?
There are other issues such as the looming opportunity for profiteering, excessively expensive servicing and MOT charges, and what are the car insurance companies going to do with this new category of cars? you guessed it, they will charge very high premiums.
I can also see more rules and laws about having your cars electrical (high voltage) systems safety checked and new rules on where and how you are allowed to park and store it for safety reasons.
Maybe in 15 years or so there will be a good offering from car companies of good standing that are working very diligently and well designing cars but at present they seem to be cars for inner city use and not really for the Motorway, which will probably be reflected in them being banned from driving on Motorways for some years to come, do you think that the Police or government Driving Authorities are going to let us use them on fast roads once a few accidents have been caused by battery power downs in the fast lane miles from the nearest exit?
There will still of course be road tax, there are sweeteners just now but they cant afford that if everybody buys an electric car.

I once saw one

Electricity to convert water into Hydrogen is very expensive and will get more and more so, other methods of creating Hydrogen include the use of special Bacteria to ferment waste (extremely expensive and can not currently cope with demand) and the decomposition of metal elements in Acid (far too expensive and polluting) also the Hydrogen that is in use at present is actually separated from Oil and Gas production at the wells and at refineries, this used to be burned off along with other gasses which are either poisonous (Hydrogen Sulphide) or Radio active (Tritium and some forms of Helium) and was regarded as an unwanted waste product at one time without a reasonable use being seen for it in the past.
The other Hydrogen will have to be produced by using Electricity from the grid, which is in turn generated using Coal Gas or Oil fired power stations and dangerous nuclear power stations, so more pollution will be generated, Gas power stations will be gone soon through lack of supply, pricing and international trade disputes that will probably come and go in the future and the Oil fired stations are a long gone thing of the past in the UK due to prohibative pricing from the 1970s onwards, in fact some were built and never used, or only for a short few weeks during the miners strikes in the 1980s before being demolished and the machinery sold off to India and south Africa.
There were ideas to have Hydrogen generated from water by using Electricity supplied by wind turbines situated close to roadside filling stations, however this seems to be something that wont happen due to 1- their physical size and 2 the problems that people have with them -ie not in my back garden, and also the fact that in todays greedy over inflated get rich quick business world, they cost about one and a quarter million each for something that is worth about 220 thousand including the tax.

Greed in the Offing

If current prices persist, the New Year increase in fuel duty and VAT will push petrol prices up to 124p a litre.

angry motorist

Rising Fuel cost's again?
Well look winters hear and we are being riped of again by fat cats getting fatter???

When is this goverment going to do something about these obsered incresses by these oil giants, Camaron does nothing, he is no better than the oil companys, As they make more money from us with the duty payments on fuel.

So Camaron for once in your life get of your high horse and start listning to the peoples concerns, after all it was us that put you there to get this country back on it's feet not to bankrupt us all over again just like the previous goverment did. ?????

Mark.Poole .UK

I agree, makes my blood boil as they keep raising the prices from day to day. I would love to join a fuel strike. Any idea where to go?

smartie

well I live in a village the local petrol station [owned now by co.op they own every thing here]
the price has gone up in the last ten days from 121.9 it now stands at an impresive 127.9 it went up 2p during today.!!!!
its disgusting as for the bus service run by none other than Arrivia well they made some poor drivers redundant so the bus service will be be back to normal i.e never on time or just dont turn up at all

Not Impressed

If fuel and road tax increases on thirsty vehicles are the governments answer to save the enviroment, then when they have raised all the extra money, Where will they buy an ozone layer? If they were genuine then small cars would have free road tax, LPG cars reduced tax and free or very cheap school buses for all.

ray.

yes prices too high cameron does nothing ,the old are dieing from gas eles prices cameron says nothing.

spinkle

we need to boycott the major greed munchers such as pb and esso and stop using them they will then be forced to putting there prices down as there precious profits will be hurt this country has got too greedy and we are taxed too high if we lowered are silly tax rates it would encourage more business back to this country hens making us more self sufficient we need to humble are selfs more and be satisfied with how long we live for , what we have got and so on this way we would not need to be doing so much to make are life's not so much better but easier if we are more satisfied with what we have there is no need to keep producing more hens costing us more just remember the more easy we make are life's the more it costs (reap what you sow) we are heading towards very bad times unless we change are ways
2nd Oct 10 08:10

Bing

The UK has one of the cheapest petrol and diesel prices in Europe. When it is taxed though the governement then charges us VAT on top of the tax so we are being taxed on the tax. A litre of petrol sold by BP, Shell etc is only 30 to 35 pence per litre. I work for one of the major oil companies and can tell you that the only winners when petrol is sold is the govrnemnt. It will be rising again in January when VAT goes uo to 20 % so be prepared plus there is a rise on the cards before that in October pledged by labour. You will also notice that the cost of LPG is now double what it was in 2002 - all tax.

Malc

Now that crude oil is about half it was when petrol/oil prices hit the roof in 2008, I think, and the value of the pound is going up against the dollar, isn't it time for fuel prices to fall ? I know fuel normally costs more in the holiday season ( rip off ) are there other reasons I don't realise or are we just being ripped off ?

numpty

petrol back down to 80p!!!!! petrol back down to 80p!!!!! petrol back down to 80p!!!!!

Gainsborough lad.

So Brown has a PHD, so where was he exactly being clever with the car scrappage scheme that he ran whilst in power?

A £2000-00 grant towards buying a foriegn manufactured car, what was that supposed to do to help the UK economy?

bump

Resident of Conservative Bedfordshire = idiot lol haha ha ha

Resident of Conservative Bedfo

It's not as if the government decides to just squandor the money for no reason. The people who run our country are actually highly-educated men and women (former Prime Minister Gordon Brown has a ph.d and began at university aged 16). They are doing their best to run the country. If they choose not to invest the fuel tax on alternative fuels it is because it is not viable. It really annoys me that practically every politician is hated, and it's really only because they have power and tax your money, an essential if you value the NHS, police force, and/or any other government-paid service.

chop ooo ee

Grumpy 'ole' (P.C.) person is very correct, in fact 100% and it will never change, you try taking an apple away from a monkey, it will shred your hands for your troubles, and these people are the same...

mycarisempty

they way things are going here I will go to fill up my estate in a year and it will be £2.17 a litre :(

Aleedsfella

I gave up my car over a year ago, a purely finance based choice. It was a hard to adjust at first but the fact that I had cut off one of many routes into my wallet taken by low life parasitic scum that lounge around Westminster helped me through it. The biggest problem was and still is the dire state of public transport, it’s a joke! If the government were serious about their green tax lies they surely would have invested heavily in public transport. But no they just increased taxes as per usual.
I do not believe the global warming lies anymore (yes I was taken in by it initially) but government has ruined the credibility of the worlds scientific institutes with their interfering and doctoring of data to suite there tax needs. But whatever your view on this argument is, it really does not matter, if you believe all this b*ll sh*t or not you’re still being shafted every time you fill up your car or hop on a bus/train /plane.
Our government of second rate social workers seem oblivious to the fact that taxation here in the UK is now extortion and the public cannot meet their demands anymore. After the election taxes will rocket (to help the wealthy elite) and more people will fail to cope. The government seem to be doing everything as badly as possible……….. Incompetence! The best excuse to do exactly as you please! Don’t worry sheeple when Britain is a complete basket case our treasonous government will hand us over for total European control.

Grumpy 'ole' (P.C.) pe

I don't work, I own and drive several Huge cars, I am over weight, I booze, I smoke, fiddle the tax, lie often, take back handers, and rip off everyone at every chance........do I care?

Please vote for me at the next general election? trust me I'm honest!

gimme gimme gimme yo manay

hold on just a minute...wait there while I...while I tie up my supertanker 100 miles off the coast and wait 4 days for the price to go up, then I will dock up and drain my tanks.....of course the fuel will be bought and sold about 60 times before that on the overnight markets by hedge fund managers and pension investment companies...

Aleedsfella

Price of petrol in England, £1.20 at subsidized super markets.
Hold tight sheeple it's time to feel the real pain of Bailing out our political and corporate masters.

Why?

Price of petrol in spain

€1.10 per litre unleaded petrol feb 2010.

Gainsborough lad.

Some bad news, China's petrol usage is rocketing upwards and can only continue to do so, this may only mean one thing, the price in the UK may be going up even more,

Some good news, we should be striking oil in the next few weeks in the Falklands (uk) this crude oil hopefully can be shipped straight to the UK for refining.

X

People it is time for another petrol strike! eaither close the stations and stop them making money or everyone on one day needs to steal it! if 100,000 people went into a petrol station with no number plates and steals the fuel they will get the message! we all moan but no one organises it! Get off u backsides and sort a petition, a riot, I dont care but do something like I am trying to do!

CatsDad

And what happened to pump prices being shown on motorway signs so that you can avoid BP garages without a diversion to checkout their customer rip-off prices?

CatsDad

CatsDad

CatsDad

Why does BP have a 100 mile monopoly on service stations on the M1 from Northampton to Tibshelf where they think it;s OK to charge £1.24 per litre for unleaded? BOYCOTT BP. They deserve no customer loyalty at all. My local ASDA charges £1.11.

MICKY

MY Loal garage has put diesel up on a dailey basis, £1.09 litre last monday £1.21 a llitre today gone up 12p a litre in 5 days.. this has to stop.

ed

might have to realise the government has given the whole of the uk a big jump in VAT off for the last year... the money had to come from somewhere it couldnt be magiced up out of nowhere... they should have put the VAT up slowly say 1% per so many months to bring it back gradually... they say they want to cut emmisions etc but if everyone today were to stop using cars and try to use public transport the country would grind to a halt! Getting taxed twice on petrol is also a complete swiz! But british people seem to do nothing but moan and take no action... the very same people who rioted in the past are still kicking around so has that spark been wiped out for good!? something needs to be done about just about everything and all of this just seems to be leading to the conservatives getting into power as some sort of quick fix... whoever gets into power next will seem to be fixing things as the only way is UP from where we are at the moment... and those who remember will realise this has all happened before and will all happen again... just stop moaning about it all and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT that is the only way something might change...

Kit

M
I agree about MPs with their snouts in the expenses trough but your solution to petrol prices isn’t going to help much.

You say take the tax off of petrol and put in on alcohol, cigarettes and fattening food because those things are the cause of all the evil in our world. (I don’t recall any news stories of Mars bar munching car thieves, rapists and muggers but I’ll let that go).

You go on to say that no one would pay £1.50 for a bar of chocolate or £10 for 10 cigs. If everyone stopped buying the cigs and chocolate there wouldn’t be any increased revenue would there? I don’t smoke by the way and never have but I do light up the occasional chocolate bar.
1st Nov 09 02:11

M

I dont get paid to rent a flat/2nd home close to my workplace, nor do I get any sort of expenses reimbursement for me trasvelling to and from work everyday. I do not get my lunch paid for, never mind a 'food allowance'. If I want to decorate my home, I do it out of the £17k I earn per year.

I have to travel to work in my 1.4 307 paying about 102.9p per litre of petrol of which something like 70p+ (?) per litre pays goes to the gov as well as all my other paid taxes...and yes I have to drive as public transport would take me 1hr 30mins instead of 15 mins in the car.

When MPs are earning £30k+ per year, ALL their expenses more or less are paid by us, what is their wage for? I thought that is why we were to study hard, get good jobs and earn lots and lots...to be able to afford all the things we want to buy?...

Why not take the tax off petrol and put it all on cigs and booze. I love all you smokers and drinkers out there but if these two things are the primary cause of evil in our society...why not? and come to think of it...chocolate, buscuits, sweets, fast food, fizzy drinks etc etc etc...the gov is soooooooo worried about obesity, who would buy a bar of 30g chocolate for £1.50? box of 10 cigs £10, 20 £20... the way petrol prices are going, something needs to be done or our country will literally grind to a holt.
1st Nov 09 01:11

Gainsborough lad.

Part two, they are going to take tax of the population one way or another, they need so much to keep the bone idle in benefits, this way, the over paid and criminals of all kinds pay.

Gainsborough lad.

Rocket101, if a lot of tax was taken off petrol, then that tax would probably have to fall on people like you and me in other ways, like P.A.Y.E. (pay as you earn) out of our wage packets, at least this way all the people with cars have to pay tax, even the rich ones who pay no tax on earnings or their thousands of £ssss that they might have, trust me, this is the best way of raising tax, imagine if there was no tax on it, and it was 20p a litre, all the ones who didn't go to work would have a ball driving all over the place all day long, whilst we work longer hours to pay even more tax.

Rocket101

Time to act again, had to take holidays end of last month could not afford fuel to get to work, that is absolutely rediculous. I for one have had enough of RIP OFF Britain and seriously would like to move.

carrie

I think it is awful the way the price of fuel goes up on a weekly basis,the goverment does not seem to care that it is helping to put people out of work,i think there has to be something done about this.I think there will have to be more protests and people should stick to them if they want anything done,If all the drivers blocked the roads for a day or two and things couldnt get through they would soon sort it out

Marty

Sod petrol get diesel. I have a 2.0 HDI Citroen Xsara and can travel between 70 - 90 mph travelling over 150 miles on £10.

I do not go to work to keep putting fuel into a tank.
2nd Sep 09 12:09

unhappy motorist

Oil Prices are relatively low yet Petrol & Diesel prices are high

What I do not understand is that the price of oil is lower than some 9/10 months ago but the price of petrol and diesel is higher. At one stage oil approached more than twice the current price of oil and yet was not much more expensive than now. Somewhere some people (& companies) are making additional profit and margin at the cost of the motorist. The government is also making a killing so I would like to understand how much of the price of fuel relates to the the price of oil, I expect it will be less than 50% and it could well be as low as 25% which means the rest is profits or taxation.
2nd Sep 09 10:09

dibble

This is yet again another tax rise by our government. The motorist / lorry driver is an easy target for gaining more revenue for the wasteful mistakes they have made in the past. Perhaps if the government gave away less handouts we would all be better off and the motorist would be less of an easy target
1st Sep 09 07:09

Icare

The only way to get the petrol tax price down is get rid of the Government. Surely they realise that some people have to use a car and what about all the food and retail sector,which has to make long deliveries on huge articulated lorries etc, all those prices for goods and food, ie the basics of living, will have to go up, so where does that leave the economy, we will have far less money to spend in shops and that defeates the object..
1st Sep 09 12:09

Angry Pete.

so whats the excuse now?? petrol prices still increasing but desel prices are not as much??? come on Brown get it sorted or get out and stay out along with your croanies....

angry Pete

last year 80 dollars a barrel was the point when we were paying one pound per litre unleaded.
Now, over the last few weeks oil was around 60-65 dollars a barrel and we are paying one pound per unleaded petrol, government put in their two-pence tax rise, the rest of the ripp off price hike is down to the petrol company parrasites.........

YuckUK

Petrol prices are getting stupid. The cost of oil is just so low. It makes me sick to see americans running 6litre V8s for the same cost as our 1litre 3pots.

I see the French are at it again,

They blockade the ports, creating havoc on the roads both sides of the channel, I bet the French Government will give in, (if they haven't already).

Those Lorry drivers currently trapped on the M20 should abandon their vehicles (taking their keys with them) returning to their vehicles only when those A55H0LE5 Brown and Darling start to listen to "Joe Public).

Having the M20 blocked for a week or so might do it.
23rd Apr 09 04:04

Sam

"Motorists are now paying an extra 2.12p per litre of petrol as a government fuel tax increase comes into force. Taking an extra £1 off drivers each time they fill up their fuel tank is a £1 taken away from High Street and leisure spending that would help revive the economy."

Well this is a really good idea isn't it?
1st Apr 09 02:04

Poor Service Costs Lives

Haven't you noticed most petrol stations don't have a free air machine anymore. And if they do it's often bust or costs money to use. The other day I had to drive around to 5 petrol stations in the search for one to inflate my tyres. What with the overall reduction in the number of open petrol stations this is a very serious situation. Free air for tyres might have to become a public service.

The guys who work in petrol stations [mostly immigrants of doubtful legality or origin] don't even have the skill to measure your car's oil needs anymore. Greed has lead to the service going to pot.

petrolio

95p per litre. here the UK but depends which petrol station you use.

Sam, the Tiger

Too bad that with the price of oil down to $59.00 a barrel, there is no downward adjustment to your price of gas.

We are down to 75 cents a liter - or 0.40 GBP (1.82 GBP per gallon). Am I curious what you are paying in the UK?

amrita singh

Most of us have bykes,cars etc. and we all need petrol.This is causing exhaustion of our resource "PETROL".So the price needs to be increased or we'll run out off petrol and it will be heard like "once upon a time vehicles used to run on petrol...".

Paul

Fed up with the petrol prices, they're just getting rediculous. Surely the government can step in and do something about it?

tash and emz

we think that petrol is far too expensive and its really un environmentally friendly. we can find other alternitives. why does it need to by so expensive because every one needs petrol. One of our friends uncle runs his car on vegtable oil he says it is much cheaper and it is un environmentally frienly. thank you and good night.

Lhaull

Guys, I know most of us hate conspiracy theory's but this petrol price hike is all part of a calculated plan, add to it the extension to detain terror suspects, the wars they have started, the food shortages coming.
They want you on your knees.
They will bring in radio frequency chips under the guise of security, a one world government and one world army.
Then you'll be completely screwed.
NO freedom, if you protest they will turn off your chip and you'll have no access to the system, no money, no rations, no id.
You have the power to stop this.
Educate yourselves and follow those who are leading or lead yourself.
911 was not the work of terrorists, well not the ones who live in caves, it was the work of those who live in mansions.
Please suspend your disbelief and google. Make your own conclusions and do something to save your own ass and your children.
See prisonplanet.com or any number of the brave people speaking out.
The governments are just following orders of those who control the banks.
Hope you find a way to happiness.
Because doing nothing will lead you and your loved ones into slavery.
But don't believe me, do yourself a favor and research it yourself.
Good luck

Mandyjwalking

Lets all fill in this petition ... anything has to be worth a try!

Marco

This govts. main priority is Afghanistan, number one priority, top of the list. Britain has invested billions already and there's more being thrown in.

We are there for good. We won't be driven out again by the Russians as we have been done in the past 200 years.

We are all paying for it.
22nd May 08 02:05

Mo

Petrol prices are going through the roof in our area. The nearest petrol station was selling unleaded at 1.18 a litre yesterday. Can you remember the days when we balked at paying over a pound? These days we just sit back and accept it. Time for some fuel protests I say because the government should help out by cutting the tax a bit, especially in this time of difficulty when our wallets are being squeezed left right and centre
22nd May 08 12:05

action front

We need a leader, not a politician but someone who can show us how to unseat this bloated, monet grasping bunch of new labour freeloaders. Yes, get the blockades going again until either we get our petrol/diesel at decent prices or until the government is brought down. They've stolen enough off us and it's time for the kick back. Bring it on!!!!
22nd May 08 01:05

Tom

Is there any budding mathematician out there who can calculate the increased revenue to Government from the fuel increases over the last 12 months? ie increase in pence/litre multiplied by the number of litres used nationally over last year, multiplied by the percentage of selling price returned to Government as duty. It would be interesting to see how far this goes toward the latest £2.7 billion foul up. Seems to me the fuel duty could be a good source to compensate for any of the Government's bloomers.

Nige of Hove

This government makes me want to drive my car into a brick wall at top end.

They are hell-bent on making people more miserable than they already are. I can't remember that last time I saw someone laughing out loud. This country is starting to remind me of Bulgaria, grim, grey and long faces. Though they have probably perked up a little since I last paid a visit.

How much does Mr Gordon Brown spend on fuel each week?

Davey Dee

YES you CAN USE VEGETABLE OIL AS Diesel FUEL - but didn't you notice the rise in price per litre almost doubled in the last budget - and not only that, you are required to notify the HMRC to pay a tax levy on your usage, bringing the final price in line with current diesel prices. ( vegetable oil is about £1.00 per litre, the tax is about 20p a litre. I hate this country. )

dave

Its discusting the petrol station near me is charging 1.26 for diesel and 1.13 for petrol and still going up he says why are we being stuffed by OUR goverment we vote them in to help us but no they would rather flease us time for blockades and rolling road blocks and fast and whats all this about higher car tax on newer cars?? dont we pay enough it makes me sick
1st May 08 08:05

tucker

its about time us brits stood up to this goverment and the petrol companys why the aa and the rac have not reacted on our behalf .and created a lobby is beyond me what do we pay these people for
fed up normal person
23rd Apr 08 03:04

Elizabethan Poor Law Act 1601

Jolly Good! The Morlocks will not be allowed to leave their parishes. As I pour the £16 litre of Scottish whisky into my mouth, as it dribbles down into my guts, I throw up on the pavement of good will. We have been truly ripped off, sure and good. What was the pupose of taking over Mesopotamia? None at all.

This country is like an Egyptian tank in the six-day war versus Israel, all burnt out in the Sinai desert.

Why, like Saint Catherine, would this country only enter into relations with one who had surpassed us in reputation, wealth, beauty and wisdom. Perhaps we deserve to be broken on the Wheel. Or are we sacrificing corn-fed chickens on the doorsteps of Parliament.

Chris

Definitely cutting out unnecessary journies now. Won't "nip" to the shops to buy some item we forgot about. Now we'll go without! Am just glad I'm not one of these people who commutes 80,90 or a 100 miles to work everyday.

Once diesel went above 110.0p per litre that's when I really started to notice my costs had become uncomfortable. My 2008 pay increase has not covered increases in Petrol, Gas, Electric, Water, Council Tax etc. Last year just about broke even, now going backwards!

Living standards are falling, politicians who deny this obviously have a nice (bottomless) expenses pot to dip into!

Deliverance

Justify 117.9 per litre? - easy.
It is not the fuel companies to blame, it is this dross government we have raising taxes to pay for two illegal military occupations and to pay for mass immigration.
Want cheaper fuel? - vote out New Labour & drive slower.
2nd Apr 08 03:04

Angry!

How on earth can 117.9 pence per litre of diesel be justified? Is it me, or are the fuel companies just taking us all for a ride at our expense?
1st Apr 08 08:04

laughing gravy

a litre of petrol is still cheaper than a litre of bottled water, I think I know which one's the real ripoff

Wookie

Petrol and diesel prices are a joke in the uk, We are being totally ripped off.
I live in high wycombe and a petrol station I pass every day on my way to work has increased petrol by 3p and diesel by 5p in one week ( last week to be precise ) and come next week in the budget they are due to go up another 2p.

Also before everybody starts spouting about 4x4's being the culprit of the hole in the ozone layer lets just remember that there are a lot worse commercial vechicles, factories and more importantly countries that do a lot more damage. While I agree that the chelsea tractors do nothing for the 4x4 image most 4x4 owners keep there vechicles serviced as its in there favour to keep everything running properly so it cost less to run, also many are running on lpg or biodiesel or veg oil conversions so they can have the vechicle they want but still be eco friendly.

Matthew

I also every morning pass the petrol station on the way to work and have noticed that the fuel prices keep creeping up!! "WHAT A JOKE!!" I have to drive a total of fifty miles a day for my job just like many other people in this country have to, Theres not much around in respects of work in my area at present and this is'nt cheap for me. I have a mortgage to pay and im on fair money but by the time I have been taxed and national insuranced and payed my mortgage and again been taxed on fuel and done my shopping im not left with much. If our government want people that dont work to get up off there back sides and get jobs just like the few of us alredy have they better start thinking fast on making our lifes much easier to live because for not much longer they are going to find people not workingg more and more because they will start to reliase that they can sit at home and do nothing and get this all payed for them. we really need to sort this COUNTRY OUT!!!! its becoming a joke and we are all going to be in serious trouble.
23rd Feb 08 01:02

sas

1. Petrol and diesel is mostly tax (in the UK).

2. Western governments are pretty much agreed that the overall tax burden should be around 40-50%.

3. Paying less for fuel would mean paying more tax elsewhere.

4. Fuel tax is fair in principle because it's paid at the point of use.

5. OPEC have a monopoly on extraction of oil and basically set the price as they please.

Solution: lobby government to start the move away from an oil-based economy, use the car less, buy a car with a smaller engine, realise that there are bigger elephants in the room than fuel taxation.

nacker

The price of Diesel here is a total rip off. Living in the city or surrounds might be easier on the pocket with frequent buses and public transport, what about the people who dont have those facilities out of town in the country where you have to jump in a car and travel 7-10 miles for a bag of sugar???, they are the ones that are hit the hardest. In six weeks the price of diesel has risen by about 8p per litre. I know some friends in an oversesas british colony that pay 40p per litre for their diesel (after tax and importation costs!!!)
23rd Dec 07 04:12

lala

do you know that you can bloody use vegetable oil instead of petrol there that will save your money

E1

the petrol are really cheap so stop blabbing about the ok so shut up

Low fuel Sid

Am I the only one to have noticed that the price of petrol seems to be going up 1p every other day? When will it stop and when will prices drop? I cannot believe no one is doing something about this. The ordinary person in the street is being ripped off as usual. I checked on prices abroad. Like the US for example who pay 37.5 a litre, Greece pay 67.5 a litre. So why are we being made to suffer. Can anyone help.

Mark-On-The-Tyne

Personally, I don't think people cast a thought over the price. A car was once considered a luxury item, now it's a necessity. If it means you have to travel to earn your crust, feed your family, pay bills and the mortgage etc., putting fuel in your tank, it's not like you can either take it or leave it is it?

What about all these that drive these guzzlers? It would not matter if petrol was GBPs 10 a gallon. It would not matter because they would still drive their 4x4, they have to have it, they have to drive this vehicle, they can't be without it

Daren

Has everyone forgotten that oil is traded in US Dollars? And that the dollar is at its weakest for over 20 years. So although the oil companies are saying oil price has gone up, in real terms (in pound sterling or Euros), its pretty much the same price. Americans should be paying more, while Europeans should not see any price change. I get the feeling we are being used to subsidise the US economy......

Lonewolf

Its time for action,,,,,,lets not forget what the spine in our backs was created for !!! its time to say "EXCUSE ME SIR, MAY WE REMIND YOU THIS COUNTRY HAS A VOICE AND WILL NOT ACCEPT EVERYTHING" the fuel prices are far too high, and is crippling industry and general public.
Hell we even tolerated the IRAQ thing, knowing full well oil was involved but STILL the prices rise.

I am probably the only one thats willing to do something about it, and the only method I have of doing anything is protesting. BUT as we all know, if I can get enough support,,,,anything is possible.
just say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH and make a stand,,,,,,,,,USE THAT SPINE !!!

Andy
E Yorks

Sgt Bilko

You’ll never resolve the tax & robbery (stand and deliver) approach in the UK.

Because no one really gives a toss..

You can’t change policies created by nanny.
Nanny says that you’ve been naughty children, polluting your streets and towns with dirty little motor cars and trucks…

Listen it could be £3 a litre and everyone would still continue to cough it up, I honestly think most folk have just given up, they have more up front concerns about the day to day drudgery of making ends meet, paying the mortgage. Paying the TV licence, council tax…

Need I go on?

v8 topline

Just remember the goverment is always saying dont steal and you know why, it hates competion.They can rob you blind with taxes and you cant do a thing about it.

Mumma!!

Petrol In The Uk Is Sooooo Expensive. We LOVE the potato men!! Love You Petrol Lovers!!

ricky watson

if you dare own a car ,house or any other nessesity for that matter,and have the utter cheek to work for a living be prepared to be ripped off by our parasite[being polite]government.green house effect,its like speed cameras are there to save lives,total utter crap,its just another way to empty our over taxed pockets.have some bottle and mass together before we all end up bankrupt

The Reason Why

Petrol prices are high in the UK as too many people here have far too much money or credit, and the Government knows it, and knows full well that it can tax them regardless.

Why on earth would anyone want to buy 4x4s or other gas-guzzlers in the current economic cliimate? Answer they have too much access to money.

People really don't give much heed to price of petrol.
1st Oct 07 09:10

Devils advocate

Fuel is too expensive but until you are all pushed nobody will do nothing dont gripe do something " put up or shut up " seems to be what its all about

Aitchi

the price is rediculous where I live it costs 1.50£ a litre

Daniel.

The UK is absolutley insane for all things, price wise that is. Staying on the subject of petrol, I am a british expat living in Dubai....We drive 2 range rovers both with 100 odd litre tanks plus an emergency tank, to fill up both cars and the emergency tanks would cost my parents the equivalent of 30 quid. In england this would cost around 210 pounds, the difference being pure tax not because oil is scarce or any of the other rubbish the British Government is talking about. Don't even get me started on tax because the simple fact is that the British Government consists of money lusting pigs, not that they don't have enough of the stuff to begin with, the country is going to the pot and taxes are still creeping up. It gets me irrate just thinking of them, in england they make it so hard to get what yout want or have worked hard for. If someone has been working hard all their life and they want a Range Rover with a V8 engine why can't you have it? The government make it ridicolously expensive and inpractical to own one or a car like it, they just want to keep the people under restraints so they stay in they're same boring job and driving their same old vauxhall with the 1.6 litre engine. Its just immoral. Daniel, 16, Dubai.

Chorister

Good King Wenceslas looked out on the Feast of Stephen,
When the snow lay round about, deep and crisp and even.
Brightly shone the moon that night, though the frost was cruel,
When a poor man came in sight, gathering winter fuel.
...

At 92p a litre GKW must have had a deep heart! And St Stephen none at all!

kosh

I am not going to vote Labour in future. They have lost my complete confidence in them.

Mousa

Did you know that petrol in Saudi Arabia is 9p a litre?

Just thought you would like to know.....

ray 3213

the fuel in this country is expensive because of the people comming from other countries to live here on the dhss and the motorist has to pay for their keep
1st Jan 07 07:01

johnny x

all motorists in this country needs to get together and block all the roads like they do in france we are being taken for a ride
1st Jan 07 07:01

Topsy

I'd like to thank every one of you people who drive petrol and diesel vehicles for paying lots of money in the form of fuel duties to the Chancellor. If you didn't my tax bill would have to go up. Meanwhile, I'm running a 2-litre executive vehicle on LPG that costs as little as 37.9p a litre.

Matt

Sorry - got to quote this guy on IMDB regarding this

"You MUST see this Film, 11 June 2006

Author: joeytino from United States

This film WILL frustrate you greatly. It's that simple. All of this talk about cars of the future with hydrogen fuel cells in 15 or 20 years from now is ridiculous. The car of the future was here, and they killed it. I won't say the first cars were perfect, but remember that NASA blew up a lot of rockets before getting it right, same with electric cars. The first ones could only do approx 80-100 miles on a charge. Most of us only commute that far to work, and these cars would have served us perfectly. Without one drop of gas. Battery technology has improved tremendously since then, and even while the EV was in production there were improvements. Mr. Paine presents a surprisingly balanced film that time and again exhibits mans' greed, stupidity, shortsightedness and another excellent example of American corporate stupidity. I firmly believe that General Motors would not be in the financial hole it is currently in if it continued exploring the electric car program. You have to start somewhere and GM, Ford, Toyota and Honda were the trailblazers and they all did it. Electric cars were built that not only worked, but worked well, and only would get better as battery technology improved. They did it because the State of California forced them to. The automakers pushed back and California blinked. It's no wonder that shortly thereafter all of the electric car programs were killed and the quiet destruction of most of the cars began. Some survived and are still in use. (An electric Toyota RAV4 sold on eBay in April 2006 for $60,000.) This film is successful not because of a political leaning one way or the other, but because of the flagrant lack of common sense on display by most parties, and on that level it's extremely frustrating because we have the technology to start reducing our dependence on oil now. "

Matt

Who Killed the Electric Car - it's a documentary that everyone must see. It is currently being circulated on the p2p networks and on Usenet. Go check it out.

How has the government, the oil companies and the car manufacturers all stifled the development of the electric car? Check it out!

It is a complete disgrace that the technology for cheap and clean transport has been available for about ten years and yet joe public has no idea because it has been kept from us by those who would profit from the sale of oil, cars and car parts.

This is something you MUST see.

Morgaine

Gordon Brown makes multiple times more profit off petrol than the oil companies. I can't remember the exact figures but it seriously is multiple times more!
22nd Aug 06 03:08

Bradda

Just back from the good old USA, its the same price for a gallon as is a litre in this rip off country. And boy dont they know how to burn it.

David

Reply to comment by Simone dated 3/10/2006 at 9:39:09 PM:

The price of petrol is relatively cheap in Malaysia due to huge government subsidies. The 2006/2007 budget put fourth by the government indicates a RM15 billion (£2.2 billion) subsidy.

Recently, the government announced that due to the continuous rise in crude oil prices, they may have to increase the subsidy to RM20 billion (£2.9 billion). As it stands, even this ammount of subsidies cannot prevent the fuel prices from rising. In the past 6 months the fuel prices has risen by RM0.20 (£0.03), I know that this may not seem as much, but over here in Malaysia, it's quite a bit. An average family of four here in Malaysia earns roughly RM1100 (£161) a month.

So if the government were to remove fuel subsidies, the people are going to be put on a terrible strain. As you know, when fuel prices go up, everything else goes up with it.

Sales Rep

Re: British Boy's comments...clearly a mis-guided idiot who lost his driving licence many years ago...if he ever had one in the first place!!! I've never heard of a Ford Focus GTi, so I think the poor dear must be overdue is afternoon nap!!
2nd May 06 05:05

Matthew Boyce

But the war was going on during november & december too and the prices were lower

michael caine

Theres a war on, historically fuel goes up when there is war.

Matthew Boyce

I see that as usual the government must work with the oil companies.
just look at the price of petrol in November 05 same as now April 06
But in December the put the price down to as low as .84p per L for Unleaded, was this because people was not spending in the shops!!!! for christmas so the Government asked them to lower the price to get the consumer spending for Christmas, and the told the oil companies you can put it up again after the Newyear

THANKS BP SHELL TEXACO oh and Mr Blair n Co
you lost my vote

hunter

does the goverment of this country realise how hard it is for people on low incomes to stay mobile and earn a living due to the cost of running a car! (and before anyone says it not everyone can get to work by public transport) of course they do but they do not give a damn as they get traveling expenses which we the public pay by paying more tax no wonder some people just dont bother trying to work for a living you are better of on unemployment benefit no rent no council tax no traveling expenses no stress, whats the point!

Dave

Hello mate,

First of all BP has made a profit due to it's worldwide supply of oil/petrol, if it had to rely on the UK it would be screwed!Nearly 70% of that stinking petrol price you pay goes to the government,BP make hardly anything from the petrol sold in this country in the first place.It's the worldwide demand/cheap labour etc that keeps their profits up.If anyone is to blame it's the regime for the amount of bloody tax they're swindling out of us at the pumps.

pete

I think it is about time we blockaded bp petrol station they seem to take the lead in putting the price up.

jax241

Dark rider
I hope you know that your doing the vat man out of some much needed cash,
Keep it up and let us know when you have cracked the gas issue so the pensioners can have some cheaper bills.

The darkrider

Petrol too high, oh yes!
I ride a very fuel effecient bike, the rise doesn't affect me that much but my colleagues at work are moaning about it all the time, I worked it out that most people (that's people who don't take home more than 400 pounds a week), spend about 10% of there money on fuel, it's a lot!
Are there alternatives, well sort of!
I've tried three with different results!
1: Methanol, no real difference, started up better in cold weather though!
2: Ethanol, improved performance but caused problems for my cooling system!
3: Liquid nitro fuel, blistering performance but very expensive and dangerous, for your own safety I recommend you don't use it!
If you own a diesel, here's a maths sum for you!

Diesel = 95p per litre, expensive

Homemade diesel recipe!
Vegetable oil = 41p per litre, cheap stuff
White spirit = 3p for 33ml needed per litre
tax (if you want to pay) = 27p per litre

Total for legal homemade diesel = 71p per lit

It's only a small saving but it does work, used filtered oil is better though, the emissions are lower, especially sulphur!

I see this as the only real long term solution, renewable, works on most diesel engines, affordable which is the main concern, better in your car than in your body eh!

Simone

Did you know that petrol in Malaysia is 20p a litre?

Just thought you would like to know.....

JAX241

When will this goverment do something about British gas and the way that they are treating the people of this country , the FAT CAT that is on a salary of 1.2 million a year for robbing you and me , silly me and a goverment that gets 17% vat on every bill, After they said that the country was awash with gas not so long ago, we have been s**t on again and treated like mugs its a pity that our wages dont go up by 20% every year
just like the Fat Cats , Mps and PM then we could afford to pay our poll tax and any other increases they would like to heap on us

JAX241

Profit on the backs of the poor , the oil companies exploit the poor of the world , cheap labour on the oil fields, cheap crews on the ships that transport it to, I used to work for Shell Tankers now they employ cheaper labour from other countries , Profit before people
They are as greedy as the goverments that tax the poor , when they the ministers leave goverment yep they get a job on the board , We the people get screwed Yet again.

thefox01

Petrol is going up for a few reasons, 1. where running out 2. where trying to ween the poor people off there crap cars 3. Mr Brown loves his tax... the fox01

British Boy

And long may it continue to go up! Then all you boring suburban types who satellite around the M25 will stop talking about your Ford Focus GTIs and dreary trips to the golf club with your nylon jackets swinging in the back on a plastic hanger and be forced into hydrogen fuel cell cars.

What would you all do if didn't have the price of petrol to discuss?
21st Nov 05 08:11

J J

If petrol goes up then it will also make he cost of living go up
21st Nov 05 01:11

Petrolhead

Nice one BP. So you're doing very nicely thank you, well what about us commuters who are lining your fat greedy pockets!

Oil giant BP has reported a strong rise in annual profits in the third-quarter but admitted its performance was hit by the recent hurricanes in the US. Replacement cost profits were $4.41bn (£2.49bn) in the period, an increase of 16% on the year, but down on the $4.98bn profit from the second quarter. Underlying performance was strong, BP said, thanks to "high but volatile" oil and gas prices. BP described the recent sale of its Innovene division as a "good outcome".

Joe

Hurricane Rita is already scaring the oil companies big time. Price of petrol has gone back up to 97.9 here. Batten down the hatches, cos here comes Rita folks..
23rd Sep 05 04:09

Screwed Motorist

The price of petrol is coming down, but wait until Hurricane Rita hits the gulf and texas. Should soon see it rocket again. Buy your shares in oil companies today!
21st Sep 05 04:09

Toby

Geordie.... no apology needed, perhaps I could have phrased my post slightly better! It's just that this "not wanting to pay tax/I can't see what I get for my tax/I work hard for my money,why should I give it to the government?/The government just blow it all on fat expense accounts" type arguements are clearly flawed when viewed from a practical perspective.

I'm really glad that the blockades didn't go through - I'm watching the RAC Rally in Wales this weekend and not fuel would have spoilt the trip.

Well done to the fuel protesters for protesting sensibly and within the law.

Geordie

Toby..Maybe I was a little harsh.. I apologise... Anyway.. Looks like the hauliers and farmers did not turn out.. What a shame..

Toby

Geordie....... What makes you think I'm not already in politics, or indeed a peasant? My gripe is that some of the comments below are clearly from people who don't wish to pay any tax at all. I know people who have similar views, the sort of people who say, "i don't get nuffin for my council tax", not realising that local government taxes actually contributes very little to many local services.....the bulk of funding is from central government. There are too many people in this country who want everything for nothing. Someone has to pay for roads, streetlamps, education, youth clubs (to distract the little tykes from robbing your house), the NHS (to keep those without private health in good condition to continue working...and contributing tax), etc.

Geordie....I fully agreed with your comment re early 80's.

Geordie

Toby.. How clever you are!.. You should be a politician!.. You have the right talents.. You think you are far more clever than us "ill-educated and ill-informed"
peasants..Plus..You seem quite arrogant..Perfect!

Toby

Well said Lightning!

Toby

As I said earlier, plenty of comment from ill-educated and ill-informed.

We do have the most expensive fuel in Europe, however we also have one of the lowest income tax levels! Money doesn't grow on trees, the government needs it from somewhere. Of course everyone would like to keep all of their "hard-earned" cash, but unfortunately we live in a society, where we have to put money into the kitty. Think of it like going on an evening out with your mates, everyone chips in some cash to cover taxis, meals, drinks, etc. How popular is the selfish guy who complains about having to contribute?

At the end of the day, the government needs money to run the country, moving the tax/duty burden away from fuel will just move the problem elsewhere. Who really wants to see increased pensioner poverty or an even more overstretched police force, or ill-equipped armed forces who are unable to secure our economical position abroad (yes that's why we fight wars, for the good of the economy, it's happened like that for 100s of years, dont be naieve, face it.).

Lightning

Please open your eyes! fuel duty has stayed static for over a year. OPEC are the truly greedy ones, holding the world to ransom for oil (barring natural disasters). The quicker we find alternatives (which DO exist) then OPEC will beg the world to buy, with the offer of $10 a barrel or less. Use your cars when only necessary and watch them wince. And no, I do not support the government, just looking at the wider picture.

dave

I'm 100% behind the action. I hope it works. I truly believe that this country needs, and is on its way to, a national strike. It really is the only way that this government will ever see beyond the end of its nose. I would like to keep just a bit of my hard earned money.

Dave

I am in support of protests, why should we pay the highest fuel tax in the world, the government says it needs this tax and then wastes billions on wars which we should never be in. If they want the money so badly why don't they give half of thier personnal £100,000 expense allowance to help make up the difference.

Tony

There are widespread reports of panic buying up and down the country.

I have seen many large queues at garages this morning and situation is getting worse by the hour. The next 3 days will see total chaos nationwide and the government will be forced to declare a state of national emergency.

There is also a risk to food supplies as well from what i'm hearing.

Paul

Some may say that lowering fuel duty will damage the economy, but what about the indirect effect high fuel prices are having on the economy, people are likely to budget more when it comes to high street/ grocery shopping etc so that they can afford to pay for their fuel. The Hight Street is already suffering which has had an adverse effect on the economy so surely high fuel prices will only worsen things?

Geordie

Must be a novelty for hauliers to be forming picket-lines..They are more famous for crossing them.Lot of ex-miners remember the hauliers "support"..

mo

I for one will not be supporting the fuel blockades I work @ a petrol station and it is causing us chaos and what happens when all the fuel is gone back to the misery of 2000

Toby

Some fair comments on here, but also many that are clearly from the ill-informed and ignorant. I am no labour-lover, but I am aware that our economy is in a stronger position under their leadership than it was before, fact.

Governments need tax to run the country, if duty is not collected from fuel, cigs, booze, etc, it will need to be collected in another way - the money is still needed to build schools, hospitals and to pay many of your parents' pensions! By backing a reduction in fuel duty, you could well be sending more pensioners into poverty (we have an ageing population you know!).

There has got to be a better way to tackle tax issues. Blockades will definitely p*** off the majority of the public and the protestors will loose support.

I drive 50k miles a year. Lorry drivers might get my support if they stopped trying to squash me into the central reservation when they cant be bothered to check their mirrors and when they cease insisting on overtaking another lorry just because they think they are 0.00001 mph faster, then after 3 miles having to pull back in anyway because they realised their error. duh!

David

If you buy from supermarkets you are probably buying from bp or shell etc.. so no matter where your getting your petrol from boycotting wont work at all.

Tax is too high and also the higher the proce the more VAT they get as well as tax.

I heard that the maximum they will be able to charge soon will be around 80p.

Blockade will be a waste of time and wreck the whole system.
If I cant get to work then I dunno what I will do.

PMT

I know blockades will damage us short term, but in the long run it will benefit us all. SHORT TERM PAIN FOR LONG TERM GAIN

JB

Fuel taxes are a high, but blockading roads is ILLEGAL. It damages the economy, severely disrupts people's lives and can even threaten people's lives as it totally paralyses the emergency services.

These sorts of protests didn't work last time and they're even less likely to this time as global oil prices play a much bigger part this time. The protesters will win far more opposition than supporters by p*ssing people off like this.

Sure people want to keep more of their money, but if they can't get to work or they lose their jobs because of this they'll have no money in the first place.

wheelie king

I don't want there to be petrol blockades on Wed's 14/09/2005, as I'm doing a track day on my bike and you selfish people might stop me being able to get fuel.

redodare

Boycott BP Shell, for a couple of months and show them the pain of no profit. Remember if you voted labour dont moan, you kept them in power to destroy our economy.

reddieseluser4ever

This goverment has wasted all our money over the last few years, I cannot even get a dentist (unless I pay for private treatment).
This has got to stop! Now!!. We must act together otherwise we will ALL be feel the pain. You know the saying "NO PAIN - NO GAIN"
PS, I filled up on red derv today @42.5ppl so sod off G.Brown I am watching you.

Aikonrun

Get these blockades going! I'm 100% behind you! If it helps, prices are at 90.9p at TESCO in Bury Lancs

PunkJunky

I totally support the petrol protest thing and would like to take part in any way I can. Any information would be helpful, speed cameras p*** me off too.

punk_junky@hotmail.com

little voice

Since the last protests the tax has been the same so do we have to get this trouble every time the petrol companys decide to raise the price, and if the goverment did lower tax why do we all think the petrol robbers would not raise prices even more to fill there already bulging pockets! Also as someone else said if we all worked instead of sitting on our a*** there would not be the need for so much tax!

MadMax

If fuel protest does go ahead on wednesday then I for one will fully support it. But I would warn the protestors of one thing; POLICE INFILTRATORS I.E Hired Scumbags Sent In To Cause Trouble And Turn A Peaceful Protest Into A Riot.

Crazyfox

Get rid of illegal immigrants and bring back the death penalty for convicted murderers. Cut benefits for those who refuse to get off their a***s and go to work. This will generate extra revenue which could effectively reduce the tax levy on the current over inflated fuel prices.

Vic

War costs big money, we have to be prepared for the next invasion, what better way to raise this money quickly!

LaurieM

We the motoring public are being dudded by the multi-nationally owned and controlled petroleum industry AND Government is riding on their coat tails reaping the tax benefits.
We can hit back .......... BOYCOTT BP and SHELL on the even months UNLESS their prices are 10cents/ltr less then can be bought elsewhere. On even months, BOYCOTT ESSO and CALTEX.
I'm sure this will work if widely publicised.

Mick of Pulborough. W.Sussex.

Its not the price of oil that Is expensive its the highway robbery of Gordon Brown. He should cut the 75% fuel tax. I work nights pay £80 a week in fuel and then get clobbered a further £40 London congestion charge when I leave work. all on a basic wage of £16500 per annum.

BIG AL Bradford

If the government can waste £1billion on truancy ( no reduction year on year) why cant they loweer tax on fuel? It seems to me that they must have a surplus of cash to squander so much when a simple smack round the head would often sffice.

BIG AL Bradford

With the highest tax rates on fuel in the western world,I will definatly be backing theprotests next week, it's time to stand up and be counted!

scott

Lets start the protest next wednesday this government only understands when we do something full on like last time,be proud like the french with there protests and lets not be a push over.

Paul Melbost Borve

Our petrol has just hit 107.5p per litre. Where do I live the Western Isles of Scotland

Robin

Fact: Big Oil DELIBERATELY shut down smaller refineries in order to start seeing profits. http://releases.usnewswire.com/printing.asp?id=52755

chris (lancs)

Petrol prices at my local filling station are now at 99.9 per litre. It think the only reason it is not as £1 is because they will need a new board to display above £1.00.

I have to travle 35 mile to work eack day (70 mile per day) so as you can imadgen it is costing me a fortune to get to work with the rieses in price. I have just see on the BBC news that there are going to be fuel protests on 14/09/2005. This is going to make it hard for me to get to work but if in the long run it brings my costs down I am all for it. Like what has been said it is a shame what has happened in America. But why should we all suffer. If Gordon Brown knocks off some of the massave tax on fuel the problem will be solved.

russ

It's allways the same when America hurts we all pay.The oil companys are robbing us blind 25 pence a litre rise in the last 9 weeks any excuse to rip us off more lets get the fuel blockades going.

Buying at Supermarkets.com

Agreed.

I already boycott Esso, Shell and BP. Wish some others would take action for the next three months and lets see if the price fall.

Unfortunately Britain is populated by government pavements - ie a majority of people who are so apathetic they don't mind being walked all over.

Does anyone have Boycott stickers available yet?

Ade

From the BBC News
Organisers of the 2000 fuel protest, which caused severe disruption when refineries were blocked, say they will act again if fuel tax is not cut.

Fuel Lobby made the announcement as the price of unleaded petrol rose to more than £1 a litre in parts of the UK as a result of Hurricane Katrina.

The group says all UK refineries will be blocked from 0600 BST on 14 September unless price cuts are made.

The Treasury said cutting tax would not solve the problem of high oil prices.

tony

Then do something about it for gods sake all we do is moan and hand over the money to this goverment is taking the micky out of us they should cut the tax. Wake up protest not with words but with blockades go slows as you say but not harming others in the prosses. The priminister had a good holiday and other mp's they get fuel allowances. I have had to cancel my holiday to wales because the fuel cost is far to high I live in cornwall in the village of mousehole and fuel prices are well high we have only a couple fuel stastions down this neck of the woods. sorry for rantin on.

Disgruntled motorist

Definately buy fuel from the supermarket pumps as it's usually cheaper anyway. There's a big initiative going around at the moment to try and get as many motorists as possible to boycott Esso, Shell and BP filling stations and only use Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons etc. Its these companies that set the prices as they effectively have a monopoly over the industry in this country.

fatso

I think the reason is that Curious George and that man with the the yellow hat,invaded Iraq.Can't make money without inside information and a good war. What did americans expect when they elected a primate,with personal interests in the oilfields.After seeing the gross errors down New Orleans way, I can see that americans couldn't screw there way out of a wet paper bag,let alone get out of Iraq. I'm taken up biking,50 lbs fat to burn,maybe do 100,000 miles on that.
3rd Sep 05 11:09

jophus

The best and maybe the only way to fight the petrol giants is to completely boycott one company, esso is a good starter, buy petrol,as we must from other companies only. Esso will have to reduice their prices to stay in business. Others will have to follow. What do you think?
2nd Sep 05 07:09

rob

"You can't just try & force people off the roads with high price because in most cases there is no alternative to using you car. For us as a country to try & go it alone & try to force everyone off the road in the name of global warming or whatever excuse these tree huggers want to use would be economic suicide. Until every country makes a move in that direction together then I will continue to use my car whenever I want thank you very much."

And it is this very attitude that has sealed our fate of present (IRAQ) and future (IRAN + beyond) resource wars, and removed the focus for us to develop an alternative sustainable lifestyle in time to save us from what is now already "in the post". I think you will find the term for those who are now enlightened with regards to what is going on is "realist" as opposed to "tree hugger".

You will be forced off the road like it or not. The price of crude will continue to rise. Our generation will be seen by what is left of our offspring to be the most wasteful and solipsistic generation in history.

Thanks lads.
31st Aug 05 11:08

Marc

While the price of gas is lamentable, what is truly unforgiveable is the wars we fight, the lives we squander, the habitats we trample in its name. The power that the oil companies exert in pursuit of profits must be curtailed. The strategy of boycotting can be useful, but we need loftier golas than keeping a few fistfuls more of pennies in our coffers. We need to demand all-around responsibility from our oil companies. This includes environmental responsibility and social responsibility as well as responsibility in pricing.

TC

Diesel, who needs it. Start using Vegtable oil. It works give it a go, half the price.

David

The main reason that fuel prices are so high in this country is tax. This should be reduced so as to offset any market rise in the cost of petrol & diesel so we can keep industry competative & try & keep inflation down. Environmental excuses to keep the cost high just don't wash. The whole infrastructure of this country is based around road transport, from shopping facilities to housing & commuting to work. You can't just try & force people off the roads with high price because in most cases there is no alternative to using you car. For us as a country to try & go it alone & try to force everyone off the road in the name of global warming or whatever excuse these tree huggers want to use would be economic suicide. Until every country makes a move in that direction together then I will continue to use my car whenever I want thank you very much.

rob

PEAK OIL is the problem. Prices will not be coming down from now on. At best there is going to be a paradigm shift in our lifestyles to a sustainable existence (by choice) or a crash of civilization featuring a massive die off (at worst). Get your heads out of your copies of "THE SUN" and do some reading about the subject. A good place to start would be http://powerswitch.org.uk

"Your failure to be informed does not make me a wacko." - John Loeffler

Joe

It beggars belief when I hear car owners whining about the price of petrol. Oil is a finite resource; when it has all gone there will be no more modern medicines, no more plastics, no more fertilizers and pesticides.

The reason oil prices are going up is because the majority of the worlds oil fields are "maturing" - an oil industry euphemism for "running out". You only have to look at Chevron's advertising campaign telling us as much, or the fact that BP are diversifying into Solar power so that they can survive when there's no oil left.

How will you explain to your hungry grandchildern that there isn't enough food in the world because you couldn't be bothered to walk as far as the bus stop to get to work? What will you say when there isn't an inhaler available to ease their asthma attacks because you simply had to have that nice shiny SUV 30 years ago?

And yet here you are, complaining about the price of petrol as if it's a God-given right to own a car. Wake up and shut up.

David

The main reason that fuel prices are so high in this country is tax. This should be reduced so as to offset any market rise in the cost of petrol & diesel so we can keep industry competitive & try & keep inflation down. Environmental excuses to keep the cost high just don't wash. The whole infrastructure of this country is based around road transport, from shopping facilities to housing & commuting to work. You can't just try & force people off the roads with high prices,because in most cases there is no alternative to using the car. For us as a country to try & go it alone & try to force everyone off the road in the name of global warming or whatever excuse these tree huggers want to use, while the likes of China, India & other developing nations go on using fuel like there is no tomorrow, would be economic suicide. Until every country makes a move in the same direction, together, then I will continue to use my big thirsty car whenever I want thank you very much.
People want & need their own private transport so just accept it & make roads adequate to take it

Jerry

I would welcome the chance to be able to get to and from work on public transport be it bus or train. However, as a trainer with irregular bus services and my nearest railway station (not mainline) 15 miles away the chance of an alternative mode of transport to my car is out of the question. I am going to join the boycott and encourage my trainer colleagues to do the same. For the self employed amongst us the only way to get from to and from an assignment is by car and I for one feel if we hit the greedy suppliers where we can get the most impact it should be at the pumps. Power to the people - spread the Gospel!
22nd Aug 05 11:08

Yorkie

Join the tens of thousands who are forwarding e-mails to at least 20 people each urging punters not to fill up at Esso or BP stations. Once their forecourts are empty they will soon get the message and have to reduce petrol prices. This will force their competition to follow suit. This is such a simple idea that it just might work!!
22nd Aug 05 10:08

Ian

Having just seen this morning the 3rd rise in fuel prices in my area just in this month, I would like to point out that I now run my diesel car on unused vegetable oil from the local supermarket. I do actually pay duty on this oil too - but the duty is half that put on petrol and diesel. So I can rest confident that my fuel is not likely to go much above the total cost of 66p a litre (inc duty) for the rest of this year! Unless of course several million people suddenly convert their cars to run in the same way - then I guess their would be a veg oil shortage !
22nd Aug 05 08:08

Dave Mac

Esso, Shell and BP control just about all the distrubution of fuel in the UK - doesn't matter what brand is on the petrol station you visit. You can't not buy their fuel :( If you don't like the price, stop using your car.

GordonK

I do not work for an oil company and I am not a green enthusiast. I wish to provide a balanced view.

1) Tax on fuel is a fair way of reducing pollution and also limiting traffic on the roads. Congestion and pollution are worldwide problems.

2) Attempts to reduce traffic in city centres should be applauded. More people should make short journeys (less than 5 miles) by bicycle rather than driving.

3) Increased oil prices may push base prices up. However the general trend has been for goods to decrease in cost.
For example, consumer electronics are so cheap now that it is cheaper to throw the item away than to repair or refurbish. All of this plastic and packaging adds to landfill sites and pollution. There should be more recycling and a move away from a consumer society.

4) As a percentage of turnover, oil companies make a fair return. The profit sounds high as the turnover is high. There are also years where huge losses are made.

I despair to read some of these blinkered views where the only concern is whether it cost £42 or £45 today to fill up the tank.

price watcher

Petrol prices are going to be high as long as we need petrol. So guess what, use less and the demand will go down. If working from home was encouraged by companies more and there was less of this ridgid 9 to 5 attitude so perhaps people could travel off peak then congestion might also be eased. we just have to change the way we live a little to solve some really big problems.

I also really think alternative sources of energy for transportation should be investigated. This fuel cell thing looks really promising.

So, here's to lower petrol prices.. and maybe one day not being so dependent on oil!

B-is-for-Boycott

I paid 99.9p per litre for diesel last week - I was so shocked I laughed - but it was serious - rather than blockading (which will hurt everyone and businesses) - let's do what wiltsguy suggests and boycott the three main companies - Esso, Shell and BP - buy all your petrol at independent or supermarket pumps!

Wiltsguy

The answer to high fuel costs is to deliberately boycott Shell, Esso and BP. Buy your fuel if possible from your local supermarket. When the profits of these overpriced greedy companies is hurt, they will have to do something about it. If the country sticks together, we can force the price of a litre of fuel down. Buy your fuel from a supermarket and start the ball rolling.

Sonic

How come the price of oil goes up and within hours so does fuel at the pumps, never goes down so quick when the oil price does!

Geoff

Petrol at my local station now at 91.9 pence a litre and rising. When is this stupidity ever going to end? Some protests would certainly get my vote!